PDA

View Full Version : Texans sign Shaun Cody

BigBull17
03-23-2009, 02:05 PM
http://www.freep.com/article/20090323/SPORTS01/90323048/1049/SPORTS01/Lions+DT+Shaun+Cody+signs+with+Houston

Not bad.

dalemurphy
Just saw it on a ticker, reported by John Clayton to be a 3yr deal. no other details.

PMSTRIKER
This adds depth to our dline. And he will eventually replace travis johnson

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4008922

BigBull17
03-23-2009, 02:06 PM

You beat me by 10 seconds.

Polo
03-23-2009, 02:09 PM
Eventually?

I'm thinking he might get that spot before the first game...

T.J better be eating his wheaties.

PMSTRIKER
03-23-2009, 02:09 PM
yeah either way i hope this guy becomes an integral part of our d-line and occupies two blockers.
I heard that Demeco was roughed up last year because he had to take on too many blocks. Now with a big body in front of him it should maximize his potential.Scary!!!

Polo
03-23-2009, 02:16 PM
Now with a big body in front of him it should maximize his potential.Scary!!!

Actually I don't think he's a whole lot bigger than the DT's we have...

Under new coach Jim Schwartz, the Lions want to get bigger. Cody is listed at 6-feet-4 and 310 pounds. He played 91 games for the Lions. He had 1.5 sacks, all during his rookie season.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090323/SPORTS01/90323048/1049/SPORTS01/Lions+DT+Shaun+Cody+signs+with+Houston

Mr teX
03-23-2009, 02:17 PM

:dance2:

HOU-TEX
03-23-2009, 02:18 PM
Wow! It's a good thing our infamous Chronical sports writers informed everybody that we had interest in this guy. :rolleyes:

I'm going to do a little more research on this fella before commenting.

PMSTRIKER
03-23-2009, 02:19 PM
Yeah but how much bigger can you get...
the guy is 310+ lbs. Do you want 7ft. 400 lbs guys. That is why the lions are losers. Now instead of taking stafford I hear they want Smith so he can protect Daunte Culpepper?

Spike
03-23-2009, 02:19 PM
Anyone know anything about this guy. The fan comments from the Detriot news link aren't that great at all. I hope we got him on the cheap.

RipTraxx
03-23-2009, 02:21 PM
Yeah but how much bigger can you get...
the guy is 310+ lbs. Do you want 7ft. 400 lbs guys. That is why the lions are losers. Now instead of taking stafford I hear they want Smith so he can protect Daunte Culpepper?

They still might go get Cutler with that 20th pick they have from Dallas.

RipTraxx
03-23-2009, 02:22 PM
Actually I don't think he's a whole lot bigger than the DT's we have...

I wanna say Okam is around 325. Big boy.

BigBull17
03-23-2009, 02:22 PM
Anyone know anything about this guy. The fan comments from the Detriot news link aren't that great at all. I hope we got him on the cheap.

They say he is pretty good at penetrating vs the run. He's not a wide body, probably more compairable to Okoye then a NT, but he's depth.

Thorn
03-23-2009, 02:23 PM

Yeah, that's a little worrisome. But the Detroit fans probably don't like any body on that team right now. Don't see a lot of history from this guy that impresses me.

dalemurphy

They just went 0-16. Not a lot of fans are going to be sad about marginal starters from that team leaving... That doesn't mean he won't be productive here. All I know about him is that he was a 2nd round draft pick from USC who is a good athlete and a little over 300 lbs. I think he had some toe injuries early in his career.

RipTraxx
This seems more and more w/ going LB (Matthews) in the Draft.

HoustonFrog
03-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Reading the comments, not sure many were impressed. I have no feeling on this except...what has he done?

PMSTRIKER
03-23-2009, 02:25 PM
From fans of detroit they said he was not worth even a 5th rounder so I don't know. I heardhe has only 1.5 career sacks

Texecutioner
03-23-2009, 02:25 PM

How would this have anything to do with Mathews and how does it point towards us taking him?

Polo
03-23-2009, 02:26 PM
Is Zgonia still on the roster?

ChampionTexan
I don't know much about him, but based on what I can find out, we may be hoping for a change of scenery thing.

If official measurements are close, he's an inch taller and a pound lighter than TJ. He was drafted into the league in the same year (4 years ago), and has 1.5 career sacks (as opposed to TJ's 2). He only started 4 games for the Lions last year.

I like Smith and Kubiak's track record with this type of signing (or at least what I think this type of signing is), but I'm not sure I see any reason to believe this replaces TJ this year, and I sure hope this isn't what they expect to be TJ's long-term replacement.

bah007
I wanna say Okam is around 325. Big boy.

I'm pretty sure Polo meant that Cody isn't much bigger than Okoye and Johnson.

Here are our DT's:

Bulman - 275
Johnson - 311
Okam - 337
Okoye - 306
Robinson - 303

I disagree with the OP that Cody is a wide-body NT. I think he is similar to Travis Johnson.

RipTraxx
03-23-2009, 02:27 PM
How would this have anything to do with Mathews and how does it point towards us taking him?

Picked up a DE in Smith, Got yet another DT. Peria Jerry or Michael Johnson dont seem like a choice now IMO.

Dapper
03-23-2009, 02:28 PM

i would say it has more to do with us not using a first day pick on the d-line.

bah007
03-23-2009, 02:29 PM

It may not point to Matthews specifically but we have already signed a DE and DT who I assume are going to be presumptive starters.

That leaves CB and OLB as the most likely pick in the first round, IMO.

Polo
03-23-2009, 02:29 PM
I'm pretty sure Polo meant that Cody isn't much bigger than Okoye and Johnson.

Here are our DT's:

Bulman - 275
Johnson - 311
Okam - 337
Okoye - 306
Robinson - 303

I disagree with the OP that Cody is a wide-body NT. I think he is similar to Travis Johnson.

Yeah...

Okam is an anomoly in the 4-3...There aren't a lot of DT's his size that get a lot of playing time in 4-3 defenses...

Texecutioner
03-23-2009, 02:30 PM
Picked up a DE in Smith, Got yet another DT. Peria Jerry or Michael Johnson dont seem like a choice now IMO.

Again though, what does that have to do with Mathews specifically? Like Dapper said, it sounds like more of an indication that the team isn't going to use their first pick on a D lineman, but it doesn't point towards us taking Mathews or any other player at this point.

badboy
03-23-2009, 02:31 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=8451

http://www.detroitlions.com/bio.cfm?bio_id=275&season=7

http://blog.nola.com/tpsports/2009/03/source_defensive_tackle_shaun.html

Seems to be more of a run stopper but little history to evaluate. May be more of a swat to TJ's butt to step up or maybe a smoke screen in draft. I still do not know what the D plan is. Seems like more of the same type player we have with "hope we hit on this guy" attitude.

RipTraxx
i would say it has more to do with us not using a first day pick on the d-line.

True. I just think anyone else is a reach at 15. Im pretty sure we're going defense..they only other one i see is Jenkins (who im not sold on).

We can always trade down i guess....

Texecutioner
It may not point to Matthews specifically but we have already signed a DE and DT who I assume are going to be presumptive starters.

Agreed, but that doesn't make mean that Mathews would be our top guy to target, and I fail to see how any of this indicates towards him specifically.

Errant Hothy
03-23-2009, 02:35 PM
From fans of detroit they said he was not worth even a 5th rounder so I don't know. I heardhe has only 1.5 career sacks

I highly doubt he as a) drafted to rush the passer or b) signed here to rush the passer.

His career sack total, like TJ's, is irrelevant to his play.

ChampionTexan
03-23-2009, 02:37 PM

I see nothing about Cody that makes him the presumptive starter. I can see an even up battle in camp between him and TJ, and I could see that being a very close battle, but even as someone who's not a big TJ fan, I don't see Cody as a clear cut improvement.

In direct opposition to the Antonio Smith siging, I also don't see him as a "Mind changer" in terms of first round or first day draft picks. If the Front Office felt that DT was a big enough need to use a first or second round pick on prior to this signing, I don't see Shaun Cody changing their mind about that.

dalemurphy
03-23-2009, 02:38 PM
Seems to be more of a run stopper but little history to evaluate. May be more of a swat to TJ's butt to step up or maybe a smoke screen in draft. I still do not know what the D plan is. Seems like more of the same type player we have with "hope we hit on this guy" attitude.

I think you're overthinking this a bit. They like his talent and probably like some things they've seen from him on tape and feel that he's worth the contract and has an opportunity to improve our DL, either as a starter or in the rotation.

I don't have his combine numbers right now but my memory was that he was an explosive athlete for his size. Also, they have Orlavsky as a resource regarding his coachability and work ethic. My guess is that this deal has been in the works and helps to explain the release of Cochran.

V3rm0nt3r
03-23-2009, 02:38 PM
this seems more of a depth move. probably to replace Zgonigna but i doubt he beats anyone out for a starting spot.

HOU-TEX
03-23-2009, 02:42 PM
Personally, I don't think this will have much affect on TJ at all. I think this guy will just be added to the DT rotation. I haven't seen any indication of the Texans re-signing Zgonina, so until that happens I'll just look at it as an upgrade to Zgonina's spot.

Honoring Earl 34
03-23-2009, 02:42 PM
We now have the top two DT's in the 2005 draft ... yippee . The bad news is it's not quite Haynesworth and Henderson .

I think what the FA signings mean to the draft is , we have no absolute hole to fill and can take the player they like the best at #15 .

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/top64.php?draftyear=2005

dalemurphy
03-23-2009, 02:45 PM
I see nothing about Cody that makes him the presumptive starter. I can see an even up battle in camp between him and TJ, and I could see that being a very close battle, but even as someone who's not a big TJ fan, I don't see Cody as a clear cut improvement.

In direct opposition to the Antonio Smith siging, I also don't see him as a "Mind changer" in terms of first round or first day draft picks. If the Front Office felt that DT was a big enough need to use a first or second round pick on prior to this signing, I don't see Shaun Cody changing their mind about that.

I think this signing says more about the change of direction at DL and the need to improve run defense. Though Kollar is known as a coach to utilize undesized linemen, we've signed a rather larger DE (Antonio Smith) who plays the run well and a 310 lb DT who is better against the run... Interestingly, this comes on the heals of Cochran's (275 lbs) release.

Not having watched Cody much since college, I imagine the coaching staff envisions a front 4 of : ASmith, Mario, TJ or Robinson, and Cody on rushing downs as a decided improvement over what we fielded last year. I think this also signals that Bulman will be fighting for a roster spot as a DE. We now have 4 traditional DTs which could make a solid rotation if the team sees reasonable improvement from Okoye.

buddyboy
03-23-2009, 02:46 PM
I think with the Smith and Cody signings, we could still, and IMO SHOULD, still be looking at DE and DT. The two pickups make us not have glaring *needs* at the two spots, but if there's someone at value who can make us better on the line, I'd still be happy to draft them. So I don't think that the two signings guarantee the fact that we won't be drafting D-line first round.

dalemurphy
03-23-2009, 02:50 PM
I think with the Smith and Cody signings, we could still, and IMO SHOULD, still be looking at DE and DT. The two pickups make us not have glaring *needs* at the two spots, but if there's someone at value who can make us better on the line, I'd still be happy to draft them. So I don't think that the two signings guarantee the fact that we won't be drafting D-line first round.

As of now, the biggest hole we have to fill in the draft is clearly : RB.

Since we may be able to address that position with success in the middle rounds, I'm hopeful the team will feel some freedom to go BPA. Conversely, I hope that it isn't spending the entire FA period simply to posture itself to take Clay Matthews as some have suggested. Certainly, there is enough evidence to make that argument. Though, I choose to believe otherwise.

Polo
03-23-2009, 02:54 PM
Trade down and take Alphonso Smith...or just pick him at 15

GP
03-23-2009, 02:54 PM
I don't think a smart GM would sign a guy to a 3-year deal just as a smoke screen for the draft.

This is about depth. Because Kollar and Bush are going to make the dline go so hard on every down that there'll need to be a solid rotation in-and-out all game long. That's my take on it. It always felt like Richard Smith's "read and react" defense was more about not over-working the dline, and Bush's philosophy is that he wants his dline wearing out the oline over the course of the game.

If Cochran was, as some have speculated, a bit of a walking injury and such...and we're busy adding fresh faces on the line while releasing Weaver and Cochran, I'd say the line is going to be told to give it full throttle on every single down--You WILL win the war in the trenches.

That's what we saw from the Jags' defense in previous seasons, and what we've seen from the Titans more recently: Those dlines were in the backfield and basically controlling and imposing their will upon the offenses they faced.

If we can bolster our LBs and DBs, I think Bush might have a chance at turning things around.

BigBull17
03-23-2009, 02:56 PM
Trade down and take Alphonso Smith...or just pick him at 15

That's the Wake Forest DB, right? If so, would love the pick.

Hardcore Texan
03-23-2009, 02:59 PM

Since we may be able to address that position with success in the middle rounds, I'm hopeful the team will feel some freedom to go BPA. Conversely, I hope that it isn't spending the entire FA period simply to posture itself to take Clay Matthews as some have suggested. Certainly, there is enough evidence to make that argument. Though, I choose to believe otherwise.

Agreed, I wouldn't even be TOO suprised to see us take a RB now at 15, still a little suprised. But BPA is a good method of approach IMO.

GP
03-23-2009, 03:02 PM
Agreed, I wouldn't even be TOO suprised to see us take a RB now at 15, still a little suprised. But BPA is a good method of approach IMO.

Yes.

Polo
03-23-2009, 03:02 PM
Honestly, I think that just by adding Adibi in the line-up makes our defense tremendously better...

Greenwood as a WLB was terrible and he really hurt our defense.

If the WLB in the 4-3 has any kind of ability, they should be able to make some nice plays..

Kaiser Toro
03-23-2009, 03:03 PM
Smith has done very well in bringing in guys for camp that have an impact every once in a while. Cody the NFL player, not the USC prospect of 2005, changes nothing for our draft in my opinion.

Honoring Earl 34
03-23-2009, 03:05 PM
In my opinion with the 15th pick , we'll upgrade somewhere on defense . Of course if Monroe , Smith , or Crabtree fell .... then we have a choice to make .

Polo
03-23-2009, 03:10 PM
Honestly, if there is a prospect that I really want, at this point I'd think about trading up...

Like if Orakpo fell to 12 or so I'd think about that move....

da Bull
03-23-2009, 03:11 PM
Interesting comparison Amobi Okoye, Travis Johnson and Shaun Cody when they came out of college:

Name - Bench Press - 40yd - 20yd Shuttle

AO - 29 - 4.88 - 4.44
TJ - 23 - 4.91 - 4.42
SC - 34 - 5.05 - 4.48

As Dale said rotational players with Robinson in the mix. Cody probably is stronger at the point of attack than Johnson assuming similar S&C programs.

Polo
03-23-2009, 03:14 PM
All T.J did was 23 reps?

Big Poundcake
03-23-2009, 03:14 PM
Solid pickup.

I think it is a good move.

dalemurphy
03-23-2009, 03:19 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2005/draft/players/55805.html

BIO: Moved into the starting lineup as a freshman, winning both All-Conference and All-America honors the past two seasons. Finished his senior year with 45/13/10 after a junior campaign of 26/10.5/6.

POSITIVES: Athletic defensive lineman who forces the action from either the end or tackle position. Quick off the ball, has the ability to change direction at full speed and displays a closing burst to the play. Gets leverage on opponents, quick with his hands and works to protect himself throughout the action. Strings plays out to the flanks and shows speed off the edge. Tenacious, chases hard and takes it to the ball handler. Outstanding techniques and moves. Stout at the point and effective defending the run or rushing the edge.

NEGATIVES: At times easily wired in blocks or handled by a single opponent. Gets straight legged and stood up at the line.

ANALYSIS: A super athletic prospect that can be used in a variety of defensive systems as well as a number of spots on the line, Cody possesses good upside for the next level. Offers growth potential which will only make him better as he physically matures. Should be a solid yet unspectacular player in the NFL.

PROJECTION: Late First Round

also: 40yd dash: 4.95 BPress: 34 reps 6'4", 293 lbs.

MojoMan
03-23-2009, 03:22 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=8451

http://www.detroitlions.com/bio.cfm?bio_id=275&season=7

http://blog.nola.com/tpsports/2009/03/source_defensive_tackle_shaun.html

A swat to TJ's butt perhaps. But I don't see what would make anyone think this guy can take TJ's job. He has 11 starts over four years playing for the Detroit Lions. Hardly what I would call an impressive resume.

I expect Johnson and Okoye will start. Quite frankly, Cody will be fortunate to make the team.

Second Honeymoon
03-23-2009, 03:28 PM

I'd have to change RB with FS, Center, or even OLB as our biggest areas of need. We need A running back but with Slaton I just can't call it our biggest area of need and I am a firm believer in depth at running back.

That being said, i totally agree that they should just display the freedom to go BPA and if that means Wells, so be it. i trust their evaluation at this point. They haven't been perfect but after the Casserley era lets just say my expectations have been lowered. I was spoiled by the old Holovak days with the Oilers. They always drafted well

Second Honeymoon
03-23-2009, 03:31 PM
A swat to TJ's butt perhaps. But I don't see what would make anyone think this guy can take TJ's job. He has 11 starts over four years playing for the Detroit Lions. Hardly what I would call an impressive resume.

I expect Johnson and Okoye will start. Quite frankly, Cody will be fortunate to make the team.

wow, I thought Cody had been the starter pretty much since he was drafted...

never mind then, shows you how much I know about the Lions

Specnatz
03-23-2009, 03:38 PM
I'd have to change RB with FS, Center, or even OLB as our biggest areas of need. We need A running back but with Slaton I just can't call it our biggest area of need and I am a firm believer in depth at running back.

That being said, i totally agree that they should just display the freedom to go BPA and if that means Wells, so be it. i trust their evaluation at this point. They haven't been perfect but after the Casserley era lets just say my expectations have been lowered. I was spoiled by the old Holovak days with the Oilers. They always drafted well

I would say OLB, C, RB and then SS. I like Wilson at FS and in the third can get a FS.

Please no Wells, the only RB that is first round material is D. Brown.

BigBull17
03-23-2009, 03:40 PM

I'd add rep, but it says no. Solid post.

TEXANRED
03-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Why are we picking up Detroits riff raff? This is not a good sign.

IMO anyway.

dalemurphy
03-23-2009, 03:45 PM

IMO anyway.

It's certainly arguable that a savvy front office can get excellent bargains off of putrid teams. After all, an 0-16 team isn't exactly exhibiting its talent well. There is some talent on that team. The trick is recognizing it. Hopefully, Rick Smith and company have done that this off-season- since 2/3 of our FAs have been from Detroit.

Avoiding players off of bad teams is a similar mistake to those organizations that tend to overbid for players from championship teams. Scheme, coaching, surrounding talent, culture all have an impact on how the player has/will play.

TexansSeminole
03-23-2009, 03:45 PM
I would say OLB, C, RB and then SS. I like Wilson at FS and in the third can get a FS.

Not a fan of Moreno? I have Moreno as my best RB by far.

I also don't see this as TJ's replacement. I think this guy simply provides depth.

thunderkyss
03-23-2009, 03:46 PM
This sounds awful similar to the Sam Coward/Rosevelt Colvin signing. A little meah.. a little "maybe a change of scenery"....

I don't see him as a definite replacement for TJ..... his career is practically the same...

I don't see how this will affect the draft at all.

Second Honeymoon
03-23-2009, 03:47 PM

I like Wilson too. He made plays. We need more guys like him. I just think we need a longer term solution at FS and in today's league, having a talisman at FS seems to be an indicator of a defense that can get teams off the field. Weren't all 4 of the Championship teams this year guilty of having Pro Bowlers at FS? I can understand where you may want to just roll with Wilson and address other needs first. We got some holes but we have the fewest holes ever entering any draft the Texans have had (imho).

Specnatz
03-23-2009, 03:48 PM

IMO anyway.

Orlovsky is not Riff-Raff he is a back-up QB.

What exactly is not a good sign? How can you determine that without seeing the terms of the contract?

Second Honeymoon
03-23-2009, 03:48 PM
It's certainly arguable that a savvy front office can get excellent bargains off of putrid teams. After all, an 0-16 team isn't exactly exhibiting its talent well. There is some talent on that team. The trick is recognizing it. Hopefully, Rick Smith and company have done that this off-season- since 2/3 of our FAs have been from Detroit.

Avoiding players off of bad teams is a similar mistake to those organizations that tend to overbid for players from championship teams. Scheme, coaching, surrounding talent, culture all have an impact on how the player has/will play.

great post

ChampionTexan
03-23-2009, 03:50 PM

IMO anyway.

There's no basis (at least until the contract terms are made available) to say this is a bad sign. Cody may very well play a part in the D-line rotation this year, and to say he may end up ahead of TJ in the pecking order isn't ridiculous (or that great a compliment).

However, I do not view signing a guy who's started 11 games in four years (for the Detroit Lions no-less) as having any potential impact on the top end of our draft.

TimeKiller
03-23-2009, 03:51 PM
Depth signing, should be an interesting battle to see if any DTs are cut. Okam likely but between him, Robinson, Okoye, Cody, TJ, maybe they don't draft one now maybe they do but we certainly aren't going to carry 6 DTs, are we?

Ben Frank
03-23-2009, 03:56 PM
IDK how to feel about this signing... if he's a good run stoppper, I'm cool with that.. but 1.5 sack's in 4 year's I think, is kinda disturbing to me

The Pencil Neck
03-23-2009, 03:58 PM
Is Zgonia still on the roster?

No, they let Zgonina go.

DiehardChris
03-23-2009, 04:12 PM
I think this is a solid-ish move. He's definitely not TJ's replacement, whatever that means. This guy's not a starter... and I'm hoping the team still looks to draft a big NT because like bah said - this is not a big wide NT. I still hope they look for one of the bigger mid-round NT types.

ArlingtonTexan
03-23-2009, 04:19 PM

Travis Johnson has probably been a better pro, but they both have been high pick, large school disappointments

Goatcheese
03-23-2009, 04:27 PM
Cody was on my short list of FAs I wanted for the Texans. He's a solid 5th guy in the DT rotation. You're not going to get much, if anything, out of him as a pass rusher, but he is pretty solid in run support. He probably would have gotten more playing time in Detroit if not for injuries and the fact that he was stuck behind Rogers and Redding.

CloakNNNdagger
03-23-2009, 04:43 PM

wow, I thought Cody had been the starter pretty much since he was drafted...

never mind then, shows you how much I know about the Lions

Now, with their consistently terrible performance, how much can you count on the Lions coaching staff to have recognized let alone maximize Cody's talents or "progressed" him as a player. I wouldn't take anything negative about his NFL Lions production, but rely on the fact that Smithiac must see this same scenario.

Hardcore Texan
03-23-2009, 04:48 PM
Not a fan of Moreno? I have Moreno as my best RB by far.

I also don't see this as TJ's replacement. I think this guy simply provides depth.

I agree, I like Moreno, not as fast as Wells great agility though, but a very high motor and all power, would make a great compliment to Slaton.

swtbound07
03-23-2009, 05:02 PM
For all the people talking about "TJ's" replacement.....

what exactly did Okoye accomplish last year that makes you think he's any more the answer?

TheRealJoker
03-23-2009, 05:08 PM
People need to give up on getting a big NT. The coaching staff has made it loud and clear with their moves this offseason we're gonna try and have a pressure defense that hustles and tries to create big plays. Unless Raji falls, there's no big wide body that fits the description of what Bush and Kollar want in this draft.

Cody provides us with another DT to the rotation, some added competition and hopefully an improvement in our short yardage defense (we dont wanna relive the 1st Jags game and our putrid 4th down defense).

I am happy the coaching staff is addressing our DL weaknesses with vets rather than high draft picks. We've got three 1st round picks on the DL, the coaching staff doesn't have time to develop another high round rookie. They've gotta win now and its a much better bet they can coach up a veteran like Antonio Smith or Shaun Cody to do what they want than hope that a rookie who would fall to 15 would "get it" this year.

ChampionTexan
03-23-2009, 05:11 PM

what exactly did Okoye accomplish last year that makes you think he's any more the answer?
His biggest accomplishment last year may have been to play under a contract that runs through at least 2011 as opposed to the contract that TJ has which expires after this year.

Seriously, Amobi played a sub-standard sophomore season, after an up and down (in that order) rookie year. I think most people still think it's possible Amobi will improve and bounce back in 2009, while at least the same number of folks believe since Travis hasn't done it by now, he's not gonna suddenly turn it around in year 5. In most people's eyes, this is very likely his last year with the Texans - hence the need for a replacement.

Mr teX
03-23-2009, 05:15 PM

Okoye's still very young. i guess everyone's implying that he'll be given more room to grow whereas TJ has been a starter since he got here & has done little making him the odd man out.

Me personally i like the signing. It's different from the Colvin,Cowart & Green pick ups b/c he's much younger than all of those guys &/or he's not coming off some major injury. Plus we aren't as desperate as we were when we picked the others up. A change of scenery,scheme some good coaching & playing time, the guy could prove to be an asset..........Plus anything that might get TJ closer to recieving a pink slip never hurts.:)

texanfan2002114
03-23-2009, 05:45 PM
I don't know if anybody has posted the numbers yet, but John McClain is reporting 3 years $6 million.

"When Cody signs his three-year contract that could be worth $6 million"

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6333730.html

PHAROAH
03-23-2009, 05:53 PM
Former USC DT that went in the 2nd round i think.

Texan4Ever
03-23-2009, 06:13 PM
What's up with everyone wanting to get rid of Travis Johnson? Now with Shaun Cody, Travis Johnson, Amobi Okoye, and Frank Okam among others, the Texans well be able to sub players in and keep our defensive line fresh.

Shaun Cody just needs some motivation and support, if we coach him up I gurantee you guys that he well be a great addittion to our team since we are usually quite in the FAs.

:fans:

False Start
03-23-2009, 06:22 PM
I heard he has only 1.5 career sacks

Anthony Weaver is envious!!

I think the more competition the better, it cant hurt.

Nawzer
03-23-2009, 06:38 PM
I think the coaching staff clearly wants to have a healthy and fresh d-line through out the season. Shaun Cody may not set the world on fire but I think he'll play better than he did in Detroit just because we're not Detroit.

Thorn
03-23-2009, 06:46 PM
Shaun Cody = training camp fodder

If he does good and helps the team, then great, if not, this is not a real big loss in terms of NFL money. Maybe our staff can turn him around and do something with him Detroit's staff couldn't. It's far to early to be putting anything on this guy, either negative or positive.

leebigeztx
03-23-2009, 07:25 PM
He's a solid rotation guy. He gives great effort, has had injuries. He's not going to wow people, but it gives the team a option to trade johnson.

The Pencil Neck
03-23-2009, 07:35 PM
Personally, I just see this as a replacement for Zgonina. Hopefully, he can come in and compete for time and improve the group. But I'm not expecting him to come in and revolutionize our dline.

was385
03-23-2009, 07:47 PM
Low risk signing, decent upside to it, I don't expect much.

Kaiser Toro
03-23-2009, 07:50 PM
I don't know if anybody has posted the numbers yet, but John McClain is reporting 3 years $6 million.

"When Cody signs his three-year contract that could be worth $6 million"

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6333730.html

I have no problem with the contract, and the potential at little risk, assuming he makes the team of course.

Brandon420tx
03-23-2009, 08:10 PM
YESSSSS

I was hoping he would sign here. He's a gap shooter, exactly what Kollar likes. He's ok in run support too, hopefully he'll (finally) reach his potential here.

imatexan
03-23-2009, 09:31 PM
Well another guy from the 0-16 team, not sure if I like that.

However, could turn out well, has the size.

DocBar
03-23-2009, 11:23 PM
I haven't seen anything on gauranteed money, so this might not be much of anything. The guy would probably take anything to get out of Motown. If this were an OL, I wouldn't question Kubes and Gibbs too much, but I don't know squat about Bush and Kollar. I'm notreally moved by this signing and hope for BPA in the draft.

CloakNNNdagger
03-23-2009, 11:24 PM
Like OKoye in college, Cody played the 3 technique and flourished. Related to this, Pete Carol had a very interesting approach to his D, playing a modified 4-3 called the 4-3 under base defense. After reading THIS PIECE (http://www.trojanfootballanalysis.com/43_under_base_defense.html) (written by Carol himself), I wonder if we are not building a similar model.......if not, I sure wish we were.

threetoedpete
03-24-2009, 07:37 AM
Eventually?

I'm thinking he might get that spot before the first game...

T.J better be eating his wheaties.

What we got here is a player who's 2005 combine numbers do not match his profesional production. Appropriate he signs close to Easter week. This guy's career is in the grave. And only a Bush miracle will resurrect it. Maybe he and Okam can rub fat butts together and they can get a spark out of one of them. 'till I see different....camp fodder. Just a cheap roll of the dice. If they miss Cody gets and apple and a bus ticket home. You know, you see this over and over again with the USC guys....the hype over runs the tallent....gotta be careful.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=53595&draftyear=2005&genpos=DT

http://www.rotoworld.com/CONTENT/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3182

Wake me if cuz Terrence signs with us next year.

El Tejano
03-24-2009, 10:50 AM
Personally, I just see this as a replacement for Zgonina. Hopefully, he can come in and compete for time and improve the group. But I'm not expecting him to come in and revolutionize our dline.

I agree with this. He's depth and that's all. If Rod Maranelli couldn't do anything special with him, he's not going to set the world on fire with our D.

Señor Stan
03-24-2009, 10:54 AM
I don't think you should ever sign anybody from a crappy team who doesn't have very good numbers.

Sincerely,

Kyle Vanden Bosch, Arizona Cardinal

Vinny
03-24-2009, 10:56 AM
The Texans off season...sign two Lions and a Cardinal. yikes....Ok, so I'm livin' in the past.

That said, I'm pretty unexcited about the Brontosaurus Cody signing. Signing mediocre players to multi-year contracts? Sadly, that's the Texans way.

bah007
03-24-2009, 10:59 AM
I agree with this. He's depth and that's all. If Rod Maranelli couldn't do anything special with him, he's not going to set the world on fire with our D.

I don't think any defensive players on the Lions should be held accountable for how bad the Lions were.

The idiots that were running the defense installed a Tampa 2 scheme. The Tampa 2 depends entirely on the abilities of your players, which is why it was destined to fail in Detroit.

They may have had one or two players on the entire defense that fit the scheme.

I'm of the school of thought that you don't force your players into a certain scheme. I prefer to scheme around the players that I have.

What happened in Detroit only strengthens my opinion on that subject.

mexican_texan
03-24-2009, 11:04 AM

He's inconsistent, but he has an ability to rush the passer I rarely see in DTs. I rewatched some games this weekend and Amobi surprised me.

Polo
03-24-2009, 11:05 AM
What we got here is a player who's 2005 combine numbers do not match his profesional production. Appropriate he signs close to Easter week. This guy's career is in the grave. And only a Bush miracle will resurrect it. Maybe he and Okam can rub fat butts together and they can get a spark out of one of them. 'till I see different....camp fodder. Just a cheap roll of the dice. If they miss Cody gets and apple and a bus ticket home. You know, you see this over and over again with the USC guys....the hype over runs the tallent....gotta be careful.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=53595&draftyear=2005&genpos=DT

http://www.rotoworld.com/CONTENT/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3182

Wake me if cuz Terrence signs with us next year.

I liked Cody as a ball player coming out of college...Haven't followed him or watched him much in the NFL, but I like him as a ball player...So we'll see...

GP
03-24-2009, 11:24 AM
The Texans off season...sign two Lions and a Cardinal. yikes....Ok, so I'm livin' in the past.

That said, I'm pretty unexcited about the Brontosaurus Cody signing. Signing mediocre players to multi-year contracts? Sadly, that's the Texans way.

I was impressed with Smithiak's offseason moves, until this one.

But...hopefully this is a move for depth (Cochran's replacement, maybe?).

Would have liked to have signed him to a one-year deal with the option to extend based on performance. I think that's the way a GM should go with a free agent who has failed to perform over a 2-3 year timespan...it's a deal of "You gots a lot to prove before I can give you a multi-year deal."

Multi-year deals that end badly (Todd Wade) can be bad for coaching contract talks with the owner & GM.

Specnatz
03-24-2009, 11:30 AM

I was impressed with Smithiak's offseason moves, until this one.

But...hopefully this is a move for depth (Cochran's replacement, maybe?).

Would have liked to have signed him to a one-year deal with the option to extend based on performance. I think that's the way a GM should go with a free agent who has failed to perform over a 2-3 year timespan...it's a deal of "You gots a lot to prove before I can give you a multi-year deal."

Multi-year deals that end badly (Todd Wade) can be bad for coaching contract talks with the owner & GM.

You do know that in the NFL the contracts are not guaranteed, so it does not matter if it is a 3 year deal or a 15 year deal.

You do the 3 year deal so if he does perform well you are not forced into a bidding war because he is a FA, again. Since contracts are not guaranteed, if he sucks you cut him after camp or after one year and you really have not lost much in terms of money.

beerlover
03-24-2009, 11:35 AM
Rod Maranelli never coached him, I doubt he even called Shaun to discuss his future in Detroit. This was more a management move to start fresh (over-rated term) & create salary cap room. remember not only does Detroit have the 1st overall pick (worth north of 50 million) they also have a 2nd 1st rd. pick via Dallas, then the first picks each round, thats alot of Fords......

More than anything to me the message is (signing FA's Cody & Antonio Smith) Bush & Company have addressed their DL needs. You can scratch off players like DT Peria Jerrry, DE Michael Johnson or Aaron Maybin from your draft board.

Cody was mis-used in Detroit, but who wasn't? He came out of USC & slipped into the 2nd rd. (rated by ourlads #14 overall prospect in draft). his draft grade was a 9.20 compared to Amobi Okoye 9.17 as you can see not only close but very similar skill set. clearly these guys are preferred system players the Texans feel who can create more surge inside.

This could be a great under the radar type of aquistion, then again not but lets give them a training camp & pre-season before we throw him off the bridge for being a career underachiever :fans:

Mr teX
03-24-2009, 12:03 PM
Rod Maranelli never coached him, I doubt he even called Shaun to discuss his future in Detroit. This was more a management move to start fresh (over-rated term) & create salary cap room. remember not only does Detroit have the 1st overall pick (worth north of 50 million) they also have a 2nd 1st rd. pick via Dallas, then the first picks each round, thats alot of Fords......

More than anything to me the message is (signing FA's Cody & Antonio Smith) Bush & Company have addressed their DL needs. You can scratch off players like DT Peria Jerrry, DE Michael Johnson or Aaron Maybin from your draft board.

Cody was mis-used in Detroit, but who wasn't? He came out of USC & slipped into the 2nd rd. (rated by ourlads #14 overall prospect in draft). his draft grade was a 9.20 compared to Amobi Okoye 9.17 as you can see not only close but very similar skill set. clearly these guys are preferred system players the Texans feel who can create more surge inside.

This could be a great under the radar type of aquistion, then again not but lets give them a training camp & pre-season before we throw him off the bridge for being a career underachiever :fans:

Great post..

Speedy D-linemen up the middle & on the edge...I think we know what route Bush is trying to take this defense & where we're likely going to go in the draft. I'll put my house on Cody becoming a starter & TJ will wind up becoming the quality depth guy.

Meloy
03-24-2009, 12:12 PM

That said, I'm pretty unexcited about the Brontosaurus Cody signing. Signing mediocre players to multi-year contracts? Sadly, that's the Texans way.But we have cap space! Let's fill it with some body!:shades:

Vinny
03-24-2009, 12:20 PM
But we have cap space! Let's fill it with some body!:shades:
Cody says that to overcome his small, teeny alligator arms - his arms are quick....like ninja :ninja: I put that through the NFL player translator and it means he can't shed a block.

Meloy
03-24-2009, 12:35 PM

This could be a great under the radar type of aquistion, then again not but lets give them a training camp & pre-season before we throw him off the bridge for being a career underachiever :fans:Bolded is exactly my concern. I had Detroit trading up to 15 to select Jerry DT. He could slide to them now.

Polo
03-24-2009, 12:41 PM
I'd be surprised if we took a DT or DE in the first round not named Orakpo.

Runner
03-24-2009, 12:50 PM

He was only a mediocre (and that may be generous) professional player until Smithiak touched him with their magic stick. Now he's a hidden gem/diamond in the rough.

Vinny
03-24-2009, 12:52 PM
He was only a mediocre (and that may be generous) professional player until Smithiak touched him with their magic stick. Now he's a hidden gem/diamond in the rough.he's our newest unpolished cubic zirconia.

HOU-TEX
03-24-2009, 12:55 PM
He was only a mediocre (and that may be generous) professional player until Smithiak touched him with their magic stick. Now he's a hidden gem/diamond in the rough.

Is he worse than Zgonina? To me, that's all he is, is a replacement rotation player.

That's all. Let the sarcasm continue.

mexican_texan
03-24-2009, 01:04 PM
I'd like to point out the contract numbers are inflated, I doubt he'll get all that money in his stay with the Texans.

That said, Cody used to have his own TV show.

Ole Miss Texan
03-24-2009, 01:07 PM
Have the figures been released yet?

These are the kind of signings I was kind of looking forward to, so I'm happy about it. I view Cody as a Colvin, Bentley, etc. sort of addition. There shouldn't be a lot of risk to it, fills a need and has some upside if they fit well.

Cody could be a good rotational player for us allowing our DL to go all out on each play. I think signings like this is exactly what Smith should be doing. Fill our needs with FA's that aren't breaking the bank. This allows us to focus on the Best Players Available during the draft. It doesn't force us to reach on a player to fill a need but also doesn't limit us to passing on any certain players if they're really good.

Vinny
03-24-2009, 01:09 PM
Have the figures been released yet?

These are the kind of signings I was kind of looking forward to, so I'm happy about it. I view Cody as a Colvin, Bentley, etc. sort of addition. There shouldn't be a lot of risk to it, fills a need and has some upside if they fit well.

Cody could be a good rotational player for us allowing our DL to go all out on each play. I think signings like this is exactly what Smith should be doing. Fill our needs with FA's that aren't breaking the bank. This allows us to focus on the Best Players Available during the draft. It doesn't force us to reach on a player to fill a need but also doesn't limit us to passing on any certain players if they're really good.
Colvin actually produced in the NFL so I'm not sure that is a very good comparison.

PHAROAH
03-24-2009, 01:11 PM
Shaun Cody was a beast coming out USC but most players that go to detroit have issues due to there coaching staff. The guy was 2nd round pick a few years ago and still has room for growth, not a bad fit for what the Texans are trying to get done on Defense.

Meloy
03-24-2009, 01:25 PM
Cody says that to overcome his small, teeny alligator arms - his arms are quick....like ninja :ninja: I put that through the NFL player translator and it means he can't shed a block.I think at the owners meeting that recently convened, Cody's agent is scheduled to introduce a motion to allow tripping as Cody has developed very stong legs sitting on the sideline and Indian leg wrestling the cheer leaders.

Seriously, I am hoping that this guy will be an asset, but my philosophy is to throw money at a wall and hope it becomes wall paper.

Ole Miss Texan
03-24-2009, 01:25 PM
Colvin actually produced in the NFL so I'm not sure that is a very good comparison.

Okay my bad Vinny. Let me be more specific than too general. I see the Cody signing as being similar to Sage Rosenfels, Andre Davis, Nick Ferguson, Will Demps, Vonta Leach, Chaun Thompson, Kevin Walter and maybe even Eugene Wilson.

None were stud free agents coming from their respective teams. None of the signings were thought much of by the fans, they were all "meh" kind of signings. But the front office saw something in those player where they 'could' have a spot on the team. I think the see the same thing with Cody. Lots of upside, could be a success here, but then again could just as easily get released during training camp.

Meloy
03-24-2009, 01:29 PM
Is he worse than Zgonina? To me, that's all he is, is a replacement rotation player.

That's all. Let the sarcasm continue.Zirconia > Zgonina?

thunderkyss
03-24-2009, 02:58 PM

I don't necessarily agree with this.

If the guy works out, he's then the deal was a bargain. If he exceeds expectations, then it was a steal. If he doesn't work out, he's gone.

It's when we sign stupid contracts that we get hurt. Wade, Weaver..... Green.

thunderkyss
03-24-2009, 03:15 PM
Great post..

Speedy D-linemen up the middle & on the edge...I think we know what route Bush is trying to take this defense & where we're likely going to go in the draft. I'll put my house on Cody becoming a starter & TJ will wind up becoming the quality depth guy.

I don't know if this hatred of TJ will ever go away, but I don't understand it.

Cody is very much the same player that Amobi is supposed to be. But so is TJ.

Most defensive strategies don't have two guys like Amobi starting next to each other. We do, and it hasn't really worked too well for us. Yes, technically, TJ is the same type player as Amobi. Which is the same type player as Cody. As a matter of fact, the only true NT we have on the team, is Okam.

So for whatever TJ hasn't shown you on the field, I can't imagine what you are seeing in Cody that might make you think he'll take TJ's spot.

At least with TJ, we know we've had him play DE in a 3-4, and NT in a 4-3. Coming out of college, he was neither.

I'd also like to know why TJ doesn't get the same pass that Dunta gets. TJ is every bit the emotional leader that Dunta is, and Dunta is no better playing Cornerback, than TJ is playing DT.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't look at replacing TJ. I'm just saying if that is what we are going to do, lets get a NT to do it with, and not another 3 tech.

Look through this thread, TJ, Amobi, and Cody are all so similar, it isn't funny.

Now.... there are some teams that have had success with starting smallish DTs.... Denver for one, and Indy. But for the life of me, I can't name them.

Polo
03-24-2009, 03:26 PM
4-3 DT's the size of Okam aren't occurences that happen often.

The only person currently slated to start in our front seven that is noticeably undersized is Adibi.

If you look around the leauge, most DT's of Okams stature that play on a regular basis are 3-4 guys.

GP
03-24-2009, 03:48 PM
You do know that in the NFL the contracts are not guaranteed, so it does not matter if it is a 3 year deal or a 15 year deal.

You do the 3 year deal so if he does perform well you are not forced into a bidding war because he is a FA, again. Since contracts are not guaranteed, if he sucks you cut him after camp or after one year and you really have not lost much in terms of money.

But it has dead money/cap ramifications, correct? That money is still "on the books," so to speak. Correct, or not? I'm not a capologist, that's for sure.

Specnatz
03-24-2009, 03:53 PM

That's all. Let the sarcasm continue.

But sarcasm makes the point even more valid. Not only that it makes everyone else's points mute.

GP
03-24-2009, 03:58 PM

Most defensive strategies don't have two guys like Amobi starting next to each other. We do, and it hasn't really worked too well for us. Yes, technically, TJ is the same type player as Amobi. Which is the same type player as Cody. As a matter of fact, the only true NT we have on the team, is Okam.

So for whatever TJ hasn't shown you on the field, I can't imagine what you are seeing in Cody that might make you think he'll take TJ's spot.

At least with TJ, we know we've had him play DE in a 3-4, and NT in a 4-3. Coming out of college, he was neither.

I'd also like to know why TJ doesn't get the same pass that Dunta gets. TJ is every bit the emotional leader that Dunta is, and Dunta is no better playing Cornerback, than TJ is playing DT.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't look at replacing TJ. I'm just saying if that is what we are going to do, lets get a NT to do it with, and not another 3 tech.

Look through this thread, TJ, Amobi, and Cody are all so similar, it isn't funny.

Now.... there are some teams that have had success with starting smallish DTs.... Denver for one, and Indy. But for the life of me, I can't name them.

TJ is lining up with Mario Williams.

Dunta is lining up with Dunta.

TJ rarely makes those "game-changing" plays, except one game last season when I seem to remember him having a string of good plays over a few defensive series (at Reliant, IIRC).

Dunta is making tackles on guys who are much larger than him, and I think he does more with what's around him than TJ does.

TJ's main problem is that he was drafted in the first round, was completely misused by Capers (IMO), and then was kinda' hanging around when Kubiak came on board. This year might be the first real season that TJ has a shot to do a great job.

Celebrating over Trent Green (whether it was warranted or not) is probably a bit of a knock on the guy, as well. Texans Chick has well-documented that Travis is a good guy, that he cares for others on and off the field.

I think a lot of fans think the guy is on the verge of getting cut, and they might be right...so the guy needs to do something on a grand scale (even though he probably is not completely at fault for the circumstances that has brought him to this "meh" level with fans).

When I start hearing the TV commentators screaming "TRAVIS JOHNSON! Oh my, the guy just flew in there and busted that play up!" a lot...that's when I think he'll get some credit. It's a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately game.

Dunta, IMHO, has done better at what he does than what TJ has done on the DL. Just my opinion. We're missing practically a whole season on Dunta, as well, due to his injury. No telling WHAT he would have done had he not had that injury.

CloakNNNdagger
03-24-2009, 04:23 PM
An interesting take, including the follow up comments, on one website (http://www.fieldgulls.com/2009/1/22/732199/free-agent-of-interest-sha).

Mr teX
03-24-2009, 04:32 PM

Well, for 1 Amobi has more sacks in his rookie year alone than TJ has for his entire career. He's shown flashes of what he can be; can't say that i've seen the same from TJ at any point in his tenure with us. Furthermore, Amobi's still 5 years younger than TJ & only entering his 3rd season.

& sure, Cody hasn't set the world on fire, but he had more tackles & passes defensed than TJ in only 4 games started last year; 10 less than TJ by the way. That doesn't sit well with me.

There's a reason Kubiak subtly put the screws to TJ when he 1st came to coach the texans & it ain't b/c he was stellar at his job.

They're all similar in stature & speed, but only 1 has started 30+ games & imo hasn't come remotely close to showing anything to merit where he was taken in the draft.

TexansSeminole
03-24-2009, 05:23 PM
There's a reason Kubiak subtly put the screws to TJ when he 1st came to coach the texans & it ain't b/c he was stellar at his job.

They're all similar in stature & speed, but only 1 has started 30+ games & imo hasn't come remotely close to showing anything to merit where he was taken in the draft.

We all know Travis Johnson hasn't played up to his draft position, but that doesn't mean he is useless. Travis Johnson may not be a star but he is a role player, and without him frankly I think our DT spot is our weakest position, even with Cody. I would rate Cody lower than TJ.

I think this signing is good though. TJ isn't exactly an everydown kind of player but neither is Cody, so the two together can provide alot of playingtime. We won't have to change our whole line when someone gets injured. Remember when Mario got injured in the Bears game. They had some bad defensive line lineups with Mario on the sidelines.

keyser
03-24-2009, 05:24 PM
But it has dead money/cap ramifications, correct? That money is still "on the books," so to speak. Correct, or not? I'm not a capologist, that's for sure.

No, only the money that was paid out as a signing bonus would still be on the books. Any salary in the final year(s) would not count against us.

The basic salary cap is actually pretty easy to follow. You take the signing bonus and divide it evenly over the years of the contract. The cap impact each year is the sum of the salary for that year, plus that portion of the signing bonus. If someone is cut, then all the "unaccounted for" signing bonus (for future years) gets accelerated into that year.

For example (I'm completely making these numbers up!), let's say Cody got a $1.5 million signing bonus, and has salaries of $1 million, $1.5 million, and $2 million. That $1.5 million signing bonus has its cap hit spread over the 3 years.
If he plays all 3 years, then his cap hit is ($500K+$1m = $1.5m) the first year, ($500K+$1.5m=$2m) the second year, and ($500k+$2m=$2.5m) the third year. If we cut him this year in training camp, we'd still have the full $1.5m signing bonus in "dead money" (i.e. it would count against the cap this year). If we cut him at the end of the first year, we would have the $1.5m cap hit this year (like before), and $1m in dead money next year. If we cut him at the end of the second year, we would have cap hits of $1.5m in year 1, and $2m in year 2, and then in year 3 we would have $500K of dead money.

So, contracts matter in how much is paid as a signing bonus (since you're stuck with that regardless), and how the salaries are spaced out (since that affects future cap room). Some of the players with giant contracts have most of the money as salary in the last years, and they will probably never be paid it, but they get to say they have a huge contract. Of course all these rules could be out the window next year...

kiwitexansfan
03-24-2009, 05:58 PM
I'm happy with this signing, Bush is stocking up with live bodies on the DL for the all out offensive he plans to launch this year......

thunderkyss
03-24-2009, 06:58 PM
Well, for 1 Amobi has more sacks in his rookie year alone than TJ has for his entire career. He's shown flashes of what he can be; can't say that i've seen the same from TJ at any point in his tenure with us. Furthermore, Amobi's still 5 years younger than TJ & only entering his 3rd season.

& sure, Cody hasn't set the world on fire, but he had more tackles & passes defensed than TJ in only 4 games started last year; 10 less than TJ by the way. That doesn't sit well with me.

First, try to find me another 3-4 DE with TJ's build.

2nd, I'm not comparing TJ to Amobi. I know TJ has no chance in he77 to get Amobi's spot, which is the spot he played in college.

3rd...... Cody over TJ.... whatever.

awtysst
03-24-2009, 07:36 PM
This could be an interesting signing. If he can show some penetration skills and do a good job on run D he could play DT on first and obvious run situations. Then we could theoretically slide Antonio Smith to DT on passing plays and have a situational rushing DE come in and rush. If all goes to plan our entire DLine could put pressure on the QB. Throw in an OLB blitz package and we might have some interesting D packages.

Texan4Ever
03-24-2009, 07:41 PM
This could be an interesting signing. If he can show some penetration skills and do a good job on run D he could play DT on first and obvious run situations. Then we could theoretically slide Antonio Smith to DT on passing plays and have a situational rushing DE come in and rush. If all goes to plan our entire DLine could put pressure on the QB. Throw in an OLB blitz package and we might have some interesting D packages.

He can penetrate the o-line but the problem with Cody is he's only played for the sorry Lions, had he played for a team like Philly, New York Giants, etc and underperformed we can conclude that he sucks but...he played for the Lions. I'm willing to give him chance to turn things around and contribute for us.

GP
03-24-2009, 08:34 PM
No, only the money that was paid out as a signing bonus would still be on the books. Any salary in the final year(s) would not count against us.

The basic salary cap is actually pretty easy to follow. You take the signing bonus and divide it evenly over the years of the contract. The cap impact each year is the sum of the salary for that year, plus that portion of the signing bonus. If someone is cut, then all the "unaccounted for" signing bonus (for future years) gets accelerated into that year.

For example (I'm completely making these numbers up!), let's say Cody got a $1.5 million signing bonus, and has salaries of $1 million, $1.5 million, and $2 million. That $1.5 million signing bonus has its cap hit spread over the 3 years.
If he plays all 3 years, then his cap hit is ($500K+$1m = $1.5m) the first year, ($500K+$1.5m=$2m) the second year, and ($500k+$2m=$2.5m) the third year. If we cut him this year in training camp, we'd still have the full $1.5m signing bonus in "dead money" (i.e. it would count against the cap this year). If we cut him at the end of the first year, we would have the $1.5m cap hit this year (like before), and $1m in dead money next year. If we cut him at the end of the second year, we would have cap hits of $1.5m in year 1, and $2m in year 2, and then in year 3 we would have $500K of dead money.

So, contracts matter in how much is paid as a signing bonus (since you're stuck with that regardless), and how the salaries are spaced out (since that affects future cap room). Some of the players with giant contracts have most of the money as salary in the last years, and they will probably never be paid it, but they get to say they have a huge contract. Of course all these rules could be out the window next year...

That was a great way to explain it. Rep your way!

Thank you.

Specnatz
03-24-2009, 08:59 PM

That is with the old collective bargaining agreement. All the players who were cut this year the dead money cap hit was all at once, versus split up.

ObsiWan
03-24-2009, 09:36 PM
Doesn't seem like a bad signing to me.

Weaver was due 6.2 mil this year
supposedly we got Cody for ~6 mil for three years.

Backup performance (and that's what we got from Weaver) without the starter pricetag

does make one wonder what Cochran was asking for if they're willing to pay Cody 2 mil/yr (on avg) but wouldn't pay Cochran

HOU-TEX
03-25-2009, 10:33 AM
I wonder why the Texans haven't confirmed this signing yet. :thinking:

Waiting for the John Hancock, I guess.

ATXtexanfan
03-25-2009, 11:10 AM
I'm happy with this signing, Bush is stocking up with live bodies on the DL for the all out offensive he plans to launch this year......
Completely agree

El Tejano
03-25-2009, 11:34 AM
I wonder why the Texans haven't confirmed this signing yet. :thinking:

Waiting for the John Hancock, I guess.

Appearantly he didn't sign.

• Cody unsigned — Free-agent defensive end Shaun Cody, who agreed to a three-year contract with the Texans on Monday, didn’t sign Tuesday.

Cody, who spent four seasons with the Detroit Lions, was in Houston to undergo a physical and meet with coaches, including defensive coordinator Frank Bush and assistant head coach/defensive line Bill Kollar.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6339048.html

HOU-TEX
03-25-2009, 11:38 AM
Appearantly he didn't sign.

• Cody unsigned — Free-agent defensive end Shaun Cody, who agreed to a three-year contract with the Texans on Monday, didn’t sign Tuesday.

Cody, who spent four seasons with the Detroit Lions, was in Houston to undergo a physical and meet with coaches, including defensive coordinator Frank Bush and assistant head coach/defensive line Bill Kollar.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6339048.html

Hmm, I thought something was fishy. I wonder what might be the issue. :thinking:

El Tejano
03-25-2009, 12:23 PM
Hmm, I thought something was fishy. I wonder what might be the issue. :thinking:

Maybe when he got there, they realized he isn't Dan Cody from Oklahoma. J/K

It looks like it said he came in for a physical. Maybe they saw something they didn't like.

Ole Miss Texan
03-25-2009, 12:31 PM
Uh oh... I hope he's healthy!

Or maybe he just found out that Houston is turning ghetto and all our athletes are getting robbed/shot at.

barrett
03-25-2009, 12:31 PM

Backup performance (and that's what we got from Weaver) without the starter pricetag

does make one wonder what Cochran was asking for if they're willing to pay Cody 2 mil/yr (on avg) but wouldn't pay Cochran

I can't understand the Cochran thing. I have been reviewing the Texans 1st half of the season on NFL rewind and through the Vikings game Cochran is a beast! I know he gets hurt later in the season but thus far I just don't get it. He's so productive. Has anyone heard any news on him?

76Texan
03-25-2009, 12:50 PM
I can't understand the Cochran thing. I have been reviewing the Texans 1st half of the season on NFL rewind and through the Vikings game Cochran is a beast! I know he gets hurt later in the season but thus far I just don't get it. He's so productive. Has anyone heard any news on him?

Cochran, a fourth-year player out of Alabama State, suffered a turf toe injury in his right foot at Indianapolis on Nov. 16. He was making his first start of the season at defensive tackle in that game after recording a sack in both of the Texans’ two previous games.

“(The injury) concerns me, and the reason it concerns me with a player like Earl is because he has had a lot of injuries,” Kubiak said. “He’s had a lot of nicks throughout his time here with me in the three years I’ve been here. Earl, when he’s on the field and healthy, is a big-time contributor on our football team, but him settling his body down and being out there for 16 weeks is the key to his career, not just next year.”

badboy
03-25-2009, 01:55 PM
Probably gonna sue for being released with an injury.

kiwitexansfan
03-25-2009, 02:01 PM

Guessing or have you heard this?

I think the argument would be "history of injury" vs. existing injury.... even then though, isn't that what IR is for, if the guy is a good player.

HOU-TEX
03-25-2009, 02:28 PM

He was a RFA.

badboy
03-25-2009, 02:39 PM
Just a sarcastic comment based on previous very long thread about illegal practices and released injured players.

El Tejano
03-25-2009, 02:48 PM
So has this guy signed or not?

mexican_texan
03-25-2009, 03:52 PM
I've seen his release reported on the NFL Network, but I don't think he was given a RFA tender.

infantrycak
03-25-2009, 03:56 PM
I've seen his release reported on the NFL Network, but I don't think he was given a RFA tender.

Cochran was tendered at the approximately $1 mil RFA tender level and then the tender was withdrawn so he became UFA.

Texans34Life
03-26-2009, 09:05 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6342794.html

According to this article, McClain says he got a two-year, $3.5 million contract.

CloakNNNdagger
03-26-2009, 09:18 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6342794.html

According to this article, McClain says he got a two-year, $3.5 million contract.

Well, this article at least clarified "back end" (secondary) and "hard-pressed to take a receiver or a running back in the first round” (a chance in H&LL).

El Tejano
03-27-2009, 12:52 PM
Yesterday I was listening to NFL Radio with Pat Kerwain (spelling). A caller called from Houston and asked if he felt we were going to get a RB in the first round, and he basically Pat basically said he showed his mock to a couple of others at the owners meeting and everyone stopped at #15 and said "Pat, you know Gibbs isn't going to ask for a 1st round RB." So then he started addressing the defense (he did a good job of naming our backup CBs, even mentioned Molden BTW).

Eventually the conversation came around getting pressure on the QB and he stated that he felt Cody would make an impact as a rotational guy and have a better career here in Houston.

Just thought I'd add to see what yall think.

Goatcheese
03-27-2009, 01:17 PM
Yesterday I was listening to NFL Radio with Pat Kerwain (spelling). A caller called from Houston and asked if he felt we were going to get a RB in the first round, and he basically Pat basically said he showed his mock to a couple of others at the owners meeting and everyone stopped at #15 and said "Pat, you know Gibbs isn't going to ask for a 1st round RB." So then he started addressing the defense (he did a good job of naming our backup CBs, even mentioned Molden BTW).

Eventually the conversation came around getting pressure on the QB and he stated that he felt Cody would make an impact as a rotational guy and have a better career here in Houston.

Just thought I'd add to see what yall think.

Gibbs would also never ask for a LT in the first round either, amirite?

TimeKiller
03-27-2009, 01:46 PM

Gibbs didn't ask for a 1st round tackle did he? He asked for Duane Brown, a guy who benefitted greatly from so many tackles being taken in the 1st last year.

infantrycak
03-27-2009, 02:52 PM

Given that in his last year in Denver and his first year in Houston the 1st round draft picks were OT's, no.

Gibbs didn't ask for a 1st round tackle did he? He asked for Duane Brown, a guy who benefitted greatly from so many tackles being taken in the 1st last year.

So he asked for a 1st round OT since if we didn't take him he still would have been an 1st round OT just one pick back.

badboy
03-27-2009, 03:10 PM
Hmm. I thought the LT was Kubes decision. I remember Coach saying he knew the trade down would get Brown but he had left to get a drink (never understood that) and heard the telephone ringing. He ran back as he thought Smith may agree to another trade down that might eliminate Brown. My impression of Alex Gibbs was he just wanted a guy with decent skill set that he could coach up. I am hoping this is mind set of D Cordinator; get a good defensive play with skills and coach em up.

infantrycak
03-27-2009, 03:47 PM
Hmm. I thought the LT was Kubes decision. I remember Coach saying he knew the trade down would get Brown but he had left to get a drink (never understood that) and heard the telephone ringing. He ran back as he thought Smith may agree to another trade down that might eliminate Brown. My impression of Alex Gibbs was he just wanted a guy with decent skill set that he could coach up. I am hoping this is mind set of D Cordinator; get a good defensive play with skills and coach em up.

There is no doubt Kubiak talked to Gibbs before making the pick. That said, I think there is too much transference on coaches. Folks acting like Shanahan's picks dictate what Kubiak's picks will be, acting as if Gibbs gets to dictate RB or OL selections, etc. Sometimes tea leaves are just tea leaves and chicken entrails are just guts.

Ole Miss Texan
03-27-2009, 03:50 PM
Regardless, the popular notion was that Denver... therefore Kubiak would never select RB or OL in the 1st round.

I think the premise being, they could find "their" guys in later rounds. More and more teams run the ZBS so those RBs and OLmen are getting taken earlier than they were 10 years ago.

I think we can put this misnomer to rest but for some reason it keeps popping back up. Supposedly, Kubiak tried to trade back up in the 1st round in 2006 to select Deangelo Williams. In 2008, Kubiak took LT Duane Brown in the 1st round. That doesn't mean I think Kubiak is going to take a RB at 15. I think he will try to get whatever player makes the biggest impact on this team, whichever represents the best value and whichever fills a need. Hopefully, all three of the criteria would be met.

Ryan
03-27-2009, 04:10 PM
It just would not make sense financially for the Texans to select a RB in the first round, due to the simple reason he will getting paid bundles of money in which he will probably be playing second fiddle in carries to Slaton.

El Tejano
03-27-2009, 04:37 PM
It just would not make sense financially for the Texans to select a RB in the first round, due to the simple reason he will getting paid bundles of money in which he will probably be playing second fiddle in carries to Slaton.

He will? Do you remember when Ron Dayne and Wali Lundy were playing? Kubiak started one one week and the other next week sometimes based on who was executing. At times he did it to make for better matchups too. They definetly did that in Denver.

I don't think he will but what if Steve has a sophmore jinx and he ends up being all we had?

I see your point but what makes the team better? I want my first string running back knowing his job can be took at anytime.

Goatcheese
03-27-2009, 04:59 PM
Given that in his last year in Denver and his first year in Houston the 1st round draft picks were OT's, no.

You're not supposed to answer rhetorical questions bro! :heart:

TimeKiller
03-27-2009, 05:18 PM
So he asked for a 1st round OT since if we didn't take him he still would have been an 1st round OT just one pick back.
I remember the San Diego story too but was it ever clear that they had been targeting him all along or just needed a LT and he was the next best potential fit on draft day? Either way, Duane Brown was never considered 1st round talent but a guy that slid in the 26th(?) pick due to a run of OT taken in the 1st.

That but doesn't it seem like the early round guys this year are no better than the mid round guys? Moreno doesn't look like AP or McFadden last year. Seems to be no elite talent which is probably the only way Kubiak is going to seriously consider a RB in the 1st. I really believe we are looking at a defensive selection this year unless the first 14 picks are defensive picks.

Ole Miss Texan
03-27-2009, 05:52 PM
I remember the San Diego story too but was it ever clear that they had been targeting him all along or just needed a LT and he was the next best potential fit on draft day? Either way, Duane Brown was never considered 1st round talent but a guy that slid in the 26th(?) pick due to a run of OT taken in the 1st.
I think that speaks even more volumes. We potentially "reached" in the 1st round for a position that was said we'd never even address with a 1st round pick.

That but doesn't it seem like the early round guys this year are no better than the mid round guys? Moreno doesn't look like AP or McFadden last year. Seems to be no elite talent which is probably the only way Kubiak is going to seriously consider a RB in the 1st. I really believe we are looking at a defensive selection this year unless the first 14 picks are defensive picks.
AP was in 2007. I thought McFadden was overated last year and nowhere near worth the 4th pick in the draft. But I think your point is pretty spot on nonetheless. In '08 the top 10 RBs selected were McFadden, Stewart, Felix Jones, Mendenhall, Chris Johnson, Matt Forte, Ray Rice, Kevin Smith, Steve Slaton and Tashard Choice.

For 2009, it looks like the top ten RBs, pick your order, will be Donald Brown, Knoshaun Moreno, Chris Wells, Lesean McCoy, Andre Brown, Shonn Greene, Rashad Jennings, James Davis, Javon Ringer, Glenn Coffee?

I think this year, there should be less RBs selected in the 1st and 2nd round than there were in '08. Last year, there was just so much more hype. Based on some projections... there would have been 5 RBs selected last year before the 1st one is taken this year. That is if Wells is taken by Philly at #28.

spurstexanstros
03-27-2009, 06:04 PM
I think that speaks even more volumes. We potentially "reached" in the 1st round for a position that was said we'd never even address with a 1st round pick.

AP was in 2007. I thought McFadden was overated last year and nowhere near worth the 4th pick in the draft. But I think your point is pretty spot on nonetheless. In '08 the top 10 RBs selected were McFadden, Stewart, Felix Jones, Mendenhall, Chris Johnson, Matt Forte, Ray Rice, Kevin Smith, Steve Slaton and Tashard Choice.

For 2009, it looks like the top ten RBs, pick your order, will be Donald Brown, Knoshaun Moreno, Chris Wells, Lesean McCoy, Andre Brown, Shonn Greene, Rashad Jennings, James Davis, Javon Ringer, Glenn Coffee?

I think this year, there should be less RBs selected in the 1st and 2nd round than there were in '08. Last year, there was just so much more hype. Based on some projections... there would have been 5 RBs selected last year before the 1st one is taken this year. That is if Wells is taken by Philly at #28.

I like Mike Goodson.... a faster version of Slaton.

Jackie Chiles
03-30-2009, 07:31 PM
Cody was interviewed today and we finally get some snippets from Bush on what they see his role being:

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5196

So Cody is listed at 6-4, what is Brooke Bentley's height? Unless she has some some platforms on judging from this interview I'm thinking a solid 6'1 plus. Anyway, nothing too interesting but some useful tidbits in there.

False Start
03-30-2009, 08:25 PM
So Cody is listed at 6-4, what is Brooke Bentley's height? Unless she has some some platforms on judging from this interview I'm thinking a solid 6'1 plus. Anyway, nothing too interesting but some useful tidbits in there.

I noticed that too, if she is that tall... that just makes me like her even more... :cool:

Cody seems like a good guy, maybe he can get a fresh start here and turn things around, that would be nice.

PapaL
03-30-2009, 08:35 PM
He seems very mild mannered and quiet.

threetoedpete
03-30-2009, 10:27 PM

What this is a a very long try out. At one point, he was considered the best football player in the country....at eighteen. So what ever has happened to him over the last six years....he has eighteen months to change it. If he does change it...he'll be paid. If it wasn't the Detroit coaching....he'll be out the door. And the odds are he'll have only one more stop after the Texans. After that... he gets to look at the scrap book and wonder what happened. Might motivate him.

What Mr. Cody Must realize is that potential will only tease an NFL coach(es) for so long. This is Mr. Cody's next to the last chance to show that he wasn't just a High school and college phenomenon who got lazy and went to waist as a pro. What Detroit just told him...he wasn't even worth a seventh round draft pick. If he has any pride left...might make a difference.

He gets four to six sacks for them next year....and repeats the production the next fall..they'll tear up the contract and pay him. More importantly he will have saved his professional career. USC guy, I'm not holding my breath that's for sure. Deja Vu all over again.

Drew_Smoke
03-31-2009, 09:45 AM
I guess he finally signed? Or did he actually pen it a while back?

GP
03-31-2009, 11:28 AM
What this is a a very long try out. At one point, he was considered the best football player in the country....at eighteen. So what ever has happened to him over the last six years....he has eighteen months to change it. If he does change it...he'll be paid. If it wasn't the Detroit coaching....he'll be out the door. And the odds are he'll have only one more stop after the Texans. After that... he gets to look at the scrap book and wonder what happened. Might motivate him.

What Mr. Cody Must realize is that potential will only tease an NFL coach(es) for so long. This is Mr. Cody's next to the last chance to show that he wasn't just a High school and college phenomenon who got lazy and went to waist as a pro. What Detroit just told him...he wasn't even worth a seventh round draft pick. If he has any pride left...might make a difference.

He gets four to six sacks for them next year....and repeats the production the next fall..they'll tear up the contract and pay him. More importantly he will have saved his professional career. USC guy, I'm not holding my breath that's for sure. Deja Vu all over again.

If we could BECOME a dominant team on both sides of the ball, we'd be a team who merely has to re-load year in and year out.

The teams who seem to do well on such a consistent basis--Eagles, Ravens, Steelers, Colts, and Patriots--have what I consider to be "geniuses" overseeing and directing the offense and defense. When you "do" defense and offense well, and I'd argue that we are indeed "doing" offense pretty well in respect to what we're accustomed to from the Texans (in our short existence), you are stocking your team with guys you know will contribute to the overall philosophy and needs of the offense/defense.

Therefore, you can draft at the end of the first round and still come away with a gem. This is why teams who consistently draft at slots 1 through 6 or 1 through 7 or 8 are always right back there again the next year. And it's why teams can draft No. 30 or 31 or 32 and stay relatively competitive from year-to-year. It's not so much what player you're getting, it's how that player fits into the currently assembled roster and system of offense/defense.

If this team could increase its defensive productivity the way Kubiak has given our offense some momentum, I think players like Shaun Cody and Antonio Smith can be more than meets the eye. And maybe that's what Bush and Kubiak are thinking. I hope.

Outside of our disappointing 8-8 record, we have a lot to be proud of from our offense: Schaub raised his game after the Rosencopter incident, Slaton and the ZBS proved that you can go from horrible rushing offense to respectable rushing offense pretty fastly if all components "fit," and our WR and TE combos are sneaky good. Who among us, when David Carr was in his last season with us, could have seen this happening over these past two seasons? I couldn't. I mean, the hope is there...but the sincere belief that our team is going to be able to run the ball and get the passing game going somehow? It was a stretch of the imagination, wasn't it, to really believe that we could do as well as we have done on offense?

In conclusion: We didn't let DA go to the Broncos. We have all of our main components back on offense, including the ZBS guru himself. This, to me, means that we have found a formula on offense that works. I have no doubt that when the time comes for Owen Daniels to test those free agent waters, we can find another Owen Daniels. We can find another David Anderson. Obviously, replacing an AJ is more difficult. But the big point here is that when the system is clicking, and you have the framework and coaching in place, plug and play your components each year as necessity dictates.

If this defense finds its groove under Bush and Kollar and David Gibbs, I expect this defense to be as good and stable as our offense is, maybe within the next couple of seasons.

It's hard to imagine a "good" Texans defense because we've never really had one. One could argue we never really had a good offense, either, until the past two seasons. There was a lot of shifting on offense for that to happen. Maybe the defense is finally shifting that way, as well?

This team, and its head coach's future, rests upon the development and progress of the defense. There's no denying that.

Polo
03-31-2009, 11:39 AM
If we could BECOME a dominant team on both sides of the ball, we'd be a team who merely has to re-load year in and year out.

The teams who seem to do well on such a consistent basis--Eagles, Ravens, Steelers, Colts, and Patriots--have what I consider to be "geniuses" overseeing and directing the offense and defense.

I kinda disagree...

The teams that do well on a consistent basis are normally the teams with the best/most consistent QB play.

Ravens have had a really good defense for a while, but they have never done anything without a competent QB behind center. Colts, Patriots, Eagles and Steelers speak for themselves. Whatever your team is known for, whatever scheme you run--You must have good play from that position every game if you want to be a contender. Defense and Scheme can only carry you so far. Eventually that QB has to do something.

There is no system that can make up for bad talent.
If you have a really good or elite QB though, I believe you will almost always be around. It's no coincidene that most of the recent and past superbowl winners have been led by some of the best QB's. I can't really think of too many times when there has been a really awesome QB on an extremely bad team.

I do believe we have a player friendly offensive system in place, but don't be fooled--Owen Daniels and DA are really talented players.

TimeKiller
03-31-2009, 12:01 PM
Fair enough

For 2009, it looks like the top ten RBs, pick your order, will be Donald Brown, Knoshaun Moreno, Chris Wells, Lesean McCoy, Andre Brown, Shonn Greene, Rashad Jennings, James Davis, Javon Ringer, Glenn Coffee?.
Ah, I knew Peterson was 2 ago but I didn't say that very well...at least you got the point. The difference in talent or potential or hype is marginal this year.

I think we've invested too much on the D'line in the offseason to give it a 1st this year and the 15 seems too much for the talent available anyway. LB looks like the prime choice, maybe a DB falls and that would be great as well. On offense I can't see why picking a highround RB (or QB for that matter, get real McShay) would be prudent when the talent isn't leaps and bounds ahead of cheaper picks. I could definitely see a surprise WR taken at 15, or even a trade down for an Olineman but I really think the back 7 gets a new playmaker on defense.

GP
03-31-2009, 12:18 PM
I kinda disagree...

The teams that do well on a consistent basis are normally the teams with the best/most consistent QB play.

Ravens have had a really good defense for a while, but they have never done anything without a competent QB behind center. Colts, Patriots, Eagles and Steelers speak for themselves. Whatever your team is known for, whatever scheme you run--You must have good play from that position every game if you want to be a contender. Defense and Scheme can only carry you so far. Eventually that QB has to do something.

There is no system that can make up for bad talent.
If you have a really good or elite QB though, I believe you will almost always be around. It's no coincidene that most of the recent and past superbowl winners have been led by some of the best QB's. I can't really think of too many times when there has been a really awesome QB on an extremely bad team.

I do believe we have a player friendly offensive system in place, but don't be fooled--Owen Daniels and DA are really talented players.

Then there's the puzzling question of Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson. Two pretty average QBs who haven't done much anywhere else...yet they each won Super Bowls. A product of good QB play, or a well-oiled machine?

Look at Chad Pennington. Didn't do a freaking thing with the Jets. Goes to Miami where there's a whole new system, whereby the previous system cratered the year before, and Chad looked bettr and went into the playoffs for the first time in awhile. System.

Falcons. There's a tie, IMO, because Matt Ryan might be a good QB or he might be the beneficiary of good RB play and/or the new system. Hard to tell, at this point.

I do agree that good QB play makes a difference. But what the QB can do, in effect, is dictated by the system and its capability under the director of the system.

It could be a "which came first, the chicken or the egg?" deal. Maybe BOTH of them, with good RB play also involved? I know that the Ravens under Dilfer had a solid defense and a solid running game. Passing game? Not so much. They won in spite of Trent's passing abilities.

El Tejano
03-31-2009, 12:23 PM
Well it turned out to be a two year deal vs. the assumed 3 year deal. I think that makes the signing alot better.

76Texan
03-31-2009, 04:23 PM
Shaun Cody is a solid rotation player.
He's definitely better then Zgonina.
He won his fair share of the battles on the line in the running game.
And he has a good burst to attack the gaps and get into the backfield.
When he is signed, he will be a good addition to the Texans.

That money would be well-spent, IMO.

76Texan
03-31-2009, 04:56 PM
I guess he finally signed? Or did he actually pen it a while back?

http://www.khou.com/sports/texans/stories/khou090330_mp_texans-sign-dt-shaun-cody.8803ef11.html

03:22 PM CDT on Monday, March 30, 2009

KHOU.com staff report

HOUSTON – The Houston Texans signed free agent DT Shaun Cody, the team announced on Monday.

The 26-year old Cody played in all 16 games and tied a career high with five starts in 2008. He finished the year with a career-high 37 tackles, 26 of which were solos, and a career-best three passes defensed.

Polo
03-31-2009, 05:04 PM
http://www.khou.com/sports/texans/stories/khou090330_mp_texans-sign-dt-shaun-cody.8803ef11.html

03:22 PM CDT on Monday, March 30, 2009

KHOU.com staff report

HOUSTON – The Houston Texans signed free agent DT Shaun Cody, the team announced on Monday.

The 26-year old Cody played in all 16 games and tied a career high with five starts in 2008. He finished the year with a career-high 37 tackles, 26 of which were solos, and a career-best three passes defensed.

The more I'm thinking about it the more I'm liking this pick-up.

76Texan
03-31-2009, 05:16 PM
The more I'm thinking about it the more I'm liking this pick-up.Me too!

I think he will push TJ and Okoye pretty hard.

barrett
03-31-2009, 05:37 PM
In conclusion: We didn't let DA go to the Broncos. We have all of our main components back on offense, including the ZBS guru himself. This, to me, means that we have found a formula on offense that works. I have no doubt that when the time comes for Owen Daniels to test those free agent waters, we can find another Owen Daniels. We can find another David Anderson. Obviously, replacing an AJ is more difficult. But the big point here is that when the system is clicking, and you have the framework and coaching in place, plug and play your components each year as necessity dictates.

Agreed. Coaching stability and depth are HUGE. That's the main plus in promoting Bush in my opinion. He's been here. He knows what he has. The coaches all know what each other is trying to accomplish. Hopefully having someone else steering the ship will make a big difference.

I've always said that I hope the Texans continue to promote from within. Especially on offense now. Once you get something going you need to teach they system because it's inevitable. You're going to loose players. Coaches will be hired away. If the system is stable then it can press on.

Here's to hoping that our new Defensive system is stable. If it's not though, the only proven coach we have other than Kollar (who isn't proven here with these players) is Holland. The word on the street is positive for Gibbs though.