PDA

View Full Version : Texans Greatest Team Need - Offense

jdog
03-19-2009, 04:54 PM
Let's see what the majority opinion is for offense.

Cjeremy635
03-19-2009, 05:00 PM
I picked QB. I'm not totally sold on Shaub yet, mainly due to his injuries.....but besides that, I still don't think he's "the guy that can take us all the way". I have no faith in our new backup. I would have liked to see us go after a decent veteran to fill that void.

TEXANS84
03-19-2009, 05:04 PM
Myers.

On goal line situations he gets pushed back like he's on ice skates.

spurstexanstros
03-19-2009, 05:06 PM
another RB to complement Slaton

Thorn
03-19-2009, 05:07 PM
I'm not as knowledgeable on the guys on the offense like I am the defense, but I don't think anything but the the line positions should be getting any votes here. JMO though.

If I had to vote though, I'd go with either center or guard.

76Texan
03-19-2009, 05:21 PM
I'd like a RB, but one of those might be available in the 4th or 5th.

We can look for a C, and move Myers to G, where he plays best.

Tailgate
03-19-2009, 06:09 PM
Pretty obvious to me we need a legit short yardage back to compliment Slaton. The C and G positions could use upgrades imo... but they will suffice just fine until other priorities are met... and on offense the last true hole is our long term second RB.

welsh texan
03-19-2009, 06:24 PM
I think we need a RB most on offense. If Slaton shares carries with another top notch back then his career will be much longer for it.

On the Oline we can probably make do but if the right guy for the scheme falls into our lap at C/G then surely we wouldn't pass it up.

mexican_texan
03-19-2009, 06:31 PM
Center

welsh texan
03-19-2009, 06:36 PM
Center

Do you not believe there is a case to be made for letting the Oline continue to grow as a unit though?? We have never had such consistency across the line in terms of starters before and surely we would be best of keeping that going for the time being if possible?

The1ApplePie
03-19-2009, 06:39 PM
A freak WR to compliment AJ (see Crabtree or Maclin)

C Meyers ain't great

A load at RB

mexican_texan
03-19-2009, 06:45 PM
Do you not believe there is a case to be made for letting the Oline continue to grow as a unit though?? We have never had such consistency across the line in terms of starters before and surely we would be best of keeping that going for the time being if possible?
Far too often, the guards have to help out Myers. Stability is a key part in building a line, but Pitts has to help out Brown and Myers. Brown has shown flashes, while Myers has shown hints that he could someday be a solid starter. I'm not saying it's a dire need, but at WR, TE, QB, OT, OG, and FB we're set. I think we need depth, maybe competition at C more than we need help at RB.

Briesel is a solid guy, I don't know why people want a Guard. Pitts is our best lineman.

ChrisG
03-19-2009, 07:41 PM
running back...we need those 3rd and one/goal conversions

Goatcheese
03-19-2009, 08:30 PM
1. RB
2. C
3. RG

Not alot of needs, but we have nothing behind Slaton, and if he goes down I don't see Schaub surviving many games where has has to throw the ball 60 times with no running game. A RB who can not only pick up short yardage, but has potential to be a starter will keep not only Slaton, but Schaub healthy.

The interior line is adequate, but not very strong. They get pushed around alot, and can be a liability at times.

Silver Oak
03-19-2009, 08:40 PM
1. RB
2. C
3. RG

Not alot of needs, but we have nothing behind Slaton, and if he goes down I don't see Schaub surviving many games where has has to throw the ball 60 times with no running game. A RB who can not only pick up short yardage, but has potential to be a starter will keep not only Slaton, but Schaub healthy.

The interior line is adequate, but not very strong. They get pushed around alot, and can be a liability at times.

make sure that back is a great blocker when he stays in...one of Slatons drawbacks, but I would guess he'll get better at it in his soph year.

DocBar
03-19-2009, 09:31 PM
make sure that back is a great blocker when he stays in...one of Slatons drawbacks, but I would guess he'll get better at it in his soph year. I thought Slaton really picked up the blocking later in the season. He was certainly fearless, if sometimes too small. I would really like to see a C or RG drafted. Myers just isn't hardly strong enough to hold the point of attack on pass pro. He seems to do better in run blocking, but could easily be upgraded if we didn't have such dire needs on D.

J. Sean Wonton
03-19-2009, 09:38 PM
make sure that back is a great blocker when he stays in...one of Slatons drawbacks, but I would guess he'll get better at it in his soph year.

Andre Brown! Power runner, north south runner, good hands, good blocking, we need him!

ObsiWan
03-19-2009, 09:50 PM
running back...we need those 3rd and one/goal conversions

IF we had a stud C and/or G's that pushed the pile fwd instead of getting pushed back, the RB we have now could convert in those situations

having said that, it would be sweet to have a 1A RB to spell Slaton.

Ole Miss Texan
03-19-2009, 10:00 PM
I think it's a toss up between OG, C and RB. I chose OG but I really think they are 1a, 1b and 1c.

Interesting enough, those aren't positions we HAVE to address early in the draft. I do think the more the OL plays together, the better they will get. But I also think Myers and Brisiel would be incredible back ups. Gotta get a guy to pair with Slaton. He's our starter for sure, but the other RB should be getting a decent number of carries.

rdroppa
03-19-2009, 10:41 PM
RB for certain. If Slaton goes down are feature back is Ryan Moats. Give that some serious thought. New Enland is loaded with RB. Trade down in the draft get one in exchange and fill another need via the new draft pick.

Texan4Ever
03-19-2009, 10:56 PM
IMO, we need to upgrade the right Guard position, grab a brusing RB to complement Steve Slaton, and then look for another Center. All of the players we pick in these positions MUST fit our zone-blocking scheme because thats what we run (obviously).

I think the Guard position is important because we might need someone to be effective in the pass and run game as well as be able to make holes and pull as a blocker. We need a BIG brusing back to run up the middle on 3rd down and 4th down and Inches and also someone to take the load off of Slaton.

We could also use a bigger Center who can take on larger DTs and NTs and also someone who can be the "quarterback" of the O-Line, making sure everyone knows what there doing and what there assingments are.

TimeKiller
03-20-2009, 07:30 AM
Do you not believe there is a case to be made for letting the Oline continue to grow as a unit though??

NO consistently average to below average isn't worth falling in love with. Myers is a problem, dude he got a false start and some other penalty I had never even heard of....from the CENTER position. How do you not know when you're about to hike the ball? We've got an all-world WR and a high school center to even him out.

QB?!? Dude, GREATEST need. Schaub is a lot closer to being the man than Myers, Brisel are. I'm fine with the people saying RB but Schaub isn't even close to the biggest problem on this offense.

Polo
03-20-2009, 08:27 AM
RB.

There's a definite unquestioned need for another RB to pair with Slaton.

Everything else on offense is debatable.

As far as the OL...Myers and Briesel have their weaknesses, but they also have their strengths...They may not be great in short yardage, but the ZBS is not know for having linemen that excel in that area...If you bring in a center that is better in short yardage you may be losing some of the quickness and knowledge about the ZBS that Meyers and Briesel bring...

Even if you replace them with better players, theres no guarantee that the new guys will be any more geared towards short yardage blocking because of the scheme we run.

Goldensilence
03-20-2009, 08:35 AM
Center. I think Brisiel could be replaced but it's not nearly a a big gapping hole like Myers. Though it would be a a great luxury to replace Brisiel have have him as the primary backup at guard because we don't have anyone behind our starting guards really.

Also need a RB to compliment Slaton and is able to handle on his own if needed.

False Start
03-20-2009, 08:42 AM
My choice is RB. We need to take some of the load off of Slaton to make sure the little fella last us awhile. My second choice would be Center, that Myers guy just gets pushed around like a little girl too much for my liking.

HOU-TEX
03-20-2009, 08:54 AM
To me, it's a no-brainer.....RB

ATRAIN
03-20-2009, 09:22 AM
Pretty obvious to me we need a legit short yardage back to compliment Slaton. The C and G positions could use upgrades imo... but they will suffice just fine until other priorities are met... and on offense the last true hole is our long term second RB.

I totally agree with Tailgate on this one. We need that 1 2 punch that will ultimately help our passing game. If teams are afraid of our run then there will be less blitzes which in turn will help our OL and QB. I Also agree with QB. I like Matt but until he can play a full season im not sold on him being the man for us.

ObsiWan
03-20-2009, 12:35 PM
The more I look at these replies the more the RB vs OL seems to be a chicken/egg discussion.

Will a bigger/badder/stronger RB - with the same undersized middle of the O-line mean more success in short ydg situs?

Or will a bigger/stronger/meaner middle O-line mean that the RBs we have (or may draft) mean more success?

IMHO, you fix the O-line because if they aren't effective enough, that just makes the RB's - no matter who it is - job that much harder. I mean, if the defense pushes the middle of the line a yd or two into our own backfield, then 3rd & 1 is really 3rd and 3 or 4 from the RBs viewpoint. Also, if we strengthen the middle of the O-line first, then we're not stuck with having to waste a roster spot on a so-called "short ydg" (and likely one-dimensional) RB.

:twocents:

DocBar
03-20-2009, 09:25 PM
I thought Polo had a good point. With the ZBS, size doesn't always matter. I voted C but I can see the merit in his point of view. I wouldn't be too butt hurt if we got a good change of pace back to compliment SS. Maybe the Oline will surprise us with the time they've had to gel. I like to argue a point, so this post is a little odd for me.

Hottoddie
03-21-2009, 11:06 PM
I voted RB, but I don't feel we need to take one high in the draft.

Here's some food for thought. We've got two 4th round picks & have had some very good success with 4th round picks. But, if Davis was willing to accept the offer, would you give up both 4th round picks for Michael Bush?

I would.

The Pencil Neck
03-22-2009, 02:48 AM
Myers is a problem, dude he got a false start and some other penalty I had never even heard of....from the CENTER position.

If a center gets a false start, it's because he twitched or shifted the ball... probably in an attempt to draw the defense offsides.

I voted G because it seemed to me that I saw Brisiel getting blown up a lot in the red zone. I'm not saying that I didn't see Myers get pushed back a time or two, but it seemed to me that a lot of the times that Slaton was getting canned in the backfield or right at the line of scrimmage, Brisiel was reaching and grabbing for the guy. However, if 76Texan is right, I'd be fine with getting a center and shifting Myers over to RG. But I really want the interior part of the line addressed.

And I'd like to get that C/G probably before getting the RB that's going to be Slaton's complement.

V3rm0nt3r
03-22-2009, 10:19 AM
The more I look at these replies the more the RB vs OL seems to be a chicken/egg discussion.

Will a bigger/badder/stronger RB - with the same undersized middle of the O-line mean more success in short ydg situs?

Or will a bigger/stronger/meaner middle O-line mean that the RBs we have (or may draft) mean more success?

IMHO, you fix the O-line because if they aren't effective enough, that just makes the RB's - no matter who it is - job that much harder. I mean, if the defense pushes the middle of the line a yd or two into our own backfield, then 3rd & 1 is really 3rd and 3 or 4 from the RBs viewpoint. Also, if we strengthen the middle of the O-line first, then we're not stuck with having to waste a roster spot on a so-called "short ydg" (and likely one-dimensional) RB.

:twocents:

i see what you're saying with your argument but the question is the greatest need. even if the chicken and the egg theory points to the o-line i still say a legit backup for Slaton is a bigger need. how many running backs over the years have simply been run into the ground? now pair that with a 5-9 201 frame and you really don't have much of a shot at having a career. now, unlike most, im not really hoping the texans draft a short yardage back because, as you stated, they tend to be one dimensional. i'd like a bigger back than a guy that was presumed to be a career scat back but im not wishing for a pile mover.

ATX
03-22-2009, 11:09 AM
Tough choice, but Slaton needs a legit backup to help with the load. I feel a lot more comfortable with the offense as a whole than I ever have however and it has become a real strength of this team. A healthy Schaub, AJ, and Slaton = top 3 offense in the NFL IMHO.