PDA

View Full Version : Andre Davis

badboy
03-18-2009, 03:29 PM
Will this guy quietly earn his paycheck as insurance for the "other Andre" again this year or will he see a few more passes his way? He really impresses me rather like Sage did with accepting his role. I see more over all offensive plays this year with the defense improving. However, with Slaton and at least one more solid back, the run first scheme may not work in Davis favor. On a side note, JJ better come to play as Anderson will be pumped the Texans matched his offer saying they really like him.

Texecutioner
03-18-2009, 03:32 PM
Will this guy quietly earn his paycheck as insurance for the "other Andre" again this year or will he see a few more passes his way? He really impresses me rather like Sage did with accepting his role. I see more over all offensive plays this year with the defense improving. However, with Slaton and at least one more solid back, the run first scheme may not work in Davis favor. On a side note, JJ better come to play as Anderson will be pumped the Texans matched his offer saying they really like him.

Davis really impressed me two years ago. I can't lie though I'd really like to see more and more of Anderson than anyone else other than Walter and AJ. He might not be that talented but he can just make nice plays that keeps drives going. I'd like to see Anderson utilized more actually.

El Tejano
03-18-2009, 03:33 PM
I think Davis knows his role, and this is to make plays when he is called. As for earning his paycheck, he did that in 07. Without his returns we would've been a 7-9 team. We now pay him to prepare as the #1 but not get the attention as the #1 during the game unless he is called upon. I tend to think he is going to have a big year this year.

TheRealJoker
03-18-2009, 04:25 PM
I think Davis knows his role, and this is to make plays when he is called. As for earning his paycheck, he did that in 07. Without his returns we would've been a 7-9 team. We now pay him to prepare as the #1 but not get the attention as the #1 during the game unless he is called upon. I tend to think he is going to have a big year this year.

I would hope not too big since that would most likely mean AJ got injured :(

Davis is paid like a starter because he is an insurance policy and for all intensive purposes a luxury. Players like him that are luxuries rather than focal points on offense are signs that we are a team turning the corner no longer having to resort to having the Corey Bradfords of the world as our # 1 WR.

I hope he can return some kicks for tds this year.

El Tejano
03-18-2009, 04:37 PM

Davis is paid like a starter because he is an insurance policy and for all intensive purposes a luxury. Players like him that are luxuries rather than focal points on offense are signs that we are a team turning the corner no longer having to resort to having the Corey Bradfords of the world as our # 1 WR.

I hope he can return some kicks for tds this year.

You basically said what I meant. When I say a big year, I mean a few more TDs and yards and more TD returns.

V3rm0nt3r
03-18-2009, 04:43 PM

god forbid we go 7-9 rather than 8-8 right? sorry don't get me wrong i'd much rather have the texans win and i know that wins are the only thing in this league but neither of these records gets us to the playoffs so forgive me for not taking this reasoning too seriously. in 07 Davis lit up everything. he returned kicks for TD's, he caught 50 yard bombs, but this past year his game died. he had less catches than Anderson (who was a 5th receiver at the begining of the year) and didn't return a single kick for a score. he'll be on the chopping block either after TC or at the end of this year if he doesn't show that he's still got some of his old magic in him.

ObsiWan
03-18-2009, 05:36 PM
I've been wishing for A.D. to get more balls thrown his way for two years now. I mean he's got track speed that can "stretch the field" and isn't afraid to go up in traffic and make a catch - actually, none of our guys are.

Like Joker said, A.D. is on the sidelines so that when A.J. isn't on the field -to catch a blow or is nicked up - we still have a legit deep threat on the field.

Dapper
03-18-2009, 05:39 PM
I can't remember when but I think he was injured for a stretch last year.

Mac#5
03-18-2009, 06:56 PM
I can't remember when but I think he was injured for a stretch last year.

Yea he was. thats why JJ was returnin kick offs

TexanSam
03-18-2009, 07:14 PM
Kinda wish he didn't return those two kickoffs for TD's two years ago. He's way overpaid now because of it

TheRealJoker
03-18-2009, 08:17 PM
Kinda wish he didn't return those two kickoffs for TD's two years ago. He's way overpaid now because of it

That and the fact he's a top notch special teams gunner and filled in admirably when AJ went down.

BuffaloglennTX
03-19-2009, 07:55 AM

I disagree on both accounts - I don't believe he's overpaid and I also don't think he got paid because of the kickoff returns for TD's. I think it was the 33 balls he caught for an 18 yard average in 2007 and the way he helped keep the Texans offense from stalling for the 6 or so games that AJ was injured. Hopefully they will throw a few balls his way this year.

TimeKiller
03-19-2009, 08:57 AM
His returns this year were weak. Hopefully he returns to form in that respect, though I think I'd like to see him catching a few balls this year from a WR position instead of KR.

badboy
03-19-2009, 10:04 AM

I hope he can return some kicks for tds this year.I do think Davis can have very good year with AJ on field and doing well. I want to see Davis avg per catch go up. I believe it dropped some last season but I could be wrong. We should have a great receiving corps this year.

badboy
03-19-2009, 10:13 AM
god forbid we go 7-9 rather than 8-8 right? sorry don't get me wrong i'd much rather have the texans win and i know that wins are the only thing in this league but neither of these records gets us to the playoffs so forgive me for not taking this reasoning too seriously. in 07 Davis lit up everything. he returned kicks for TD's, he caught 50 yard bombs, but this past year his game died. he had less catches than Anderson (who was a 5th receiver at the begining of the year) and didn't return a single kick for a score. he'll be on the chopping block either after TC or at the end of this year if he doesn't show that he's still got some of his old magic in him.Not to attack you but I think you are incorrect. 8-8 compared to 7-9 last season was really big and important. Everyone from fans to talk shows were discussing the differences during and just after the season. No, it did not get them to plays offs, crazy losses did that; but where this team was going into game 16, 8-8 said a lot of positive things.

I also do not read Davis season as you do. Sometime a new guy steps up statistically for various reasons such as little film on him for defense to read. I think this helped Anderson last year. He was like Davis in that last season was Anderson's year before becoming a FA and the year before Davis was playing for new contract. I am hopeful JJ will have a very good year as it may be his last and hopefully he knows that.

badboy
03-19-2009, 10:14 AM
I disagree on both accounts - I don't believe he's overpaid and I also don't think he got paid because of the kickoff returns for TD's. I think it was the 33 balls he caught for an 18 yard average in 2007 and the way he helped keep the Texans offense from stalling for the 6 or so games that AJ was injured. Hopefully they will throw a few balls his way this year.There you go!

threetoedpete
03-19-2009, 02:07 PM

It's an odd year..he should produce and be injury free. When y'all banged for him a couple of Decembers ago, I posted he would be dinged...regularly. and we'd have to be patient with him.

V3rm0nt3r
03-19-2009, 03:41 PM
Not to attack you but I think you are incorrect. 8-8 compared to 7-9 last season was really big and important. Everyone from fans to talk shows were discussing the differences during and just after the season. No, it did not get them to plays offs, crazy losses did that; but where this team was going into game 16, 8-8 said a lot of positive things.

I also do not read Davis season as you do. Sometime a new guy steps up statistically for various reasons such as little film on him for defense to read. I think this helped Anderson last year. He was like Davis in that last season was Anderson's year before becoming a FA and the year before Davis was playing for new contract. I am hopeful JJ will have a very good year as it may be his last and hopefully he knows that.

seeing as this board is rarely a 'agree to disagree' kind of site i feel obligated to respond. the difference between Anderson and Davis is that Anderson is young. it seems to me that Davis was a one year wonder as he never really produced before two years ago and last year he slipped up where at least Anderson still has almost all of his career ahead of him.

badboy
03-19-2009, 03:52 PM
seeing as this board is rarely a 'agree to disagree' kind of site i feel obligated to respond. the difference between Anderson and Davis is that Anderson is young. it seems to me that Davis was a one year wonder as he never really produced before two years ago and last year he slipped up where at least Anderson still has almost all of his career ahead of him.Thanks for response as I really enjoy the discussion. I've linked his stats for review http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5933/career
Note that receptions dropped drastically as he went from option #1 two years ago as AJ's replacement to last season. Not sure that is a bad thing and certainly not his fault. He still avg 16 1/2 yds and increased after the catch from 3 to 5.5. If you just compare catches without asking why, I'd agree with you. Hope I am not wrong on my perception. He does turn 30 June 12th but we will see if he has lost any speed.

Texans_Chick
03-19-2009, 04:14 PM
seeing as this board is rarely a 'agree to disagree' kind of site i feel obligated to respond. the difference between Anderson and Davis is that Anderson is young. it seems to me that Davis was a one year wonder as he never really produced before two years ago and last year he slipped up where at least Anderson still has almost all of his career ahead of him.

Andre Davis had to get surgery on his left ring finger and had to sit out a bunch of games. After he was back, he still said it hurt but he played through it anyway.

Davis and Anderson are different type players. Anderson is more of a slot possession guy, or as his agent would like to sell him, a "Wes Welker" type.

Davis is more of a downfield threat.

V3rm0nt3r
03-19-2009, 07:04 PM
Andre Davis had to get surgery on his left ring finger and had to sit out a bunch of games. After he was back, he still said it hurt but he played through it anyway.

Davis and Anderson are different type players. Anderson is more of a slot possession guy, or as his agent would like to sell him, a "Wes Welker" type.

Davis is more of a downfield threat.

im not arguing that Anderson and Davis are different receivers, but the fact still remains that if you're a veteran reciever that is making 3 million a year you should be able to distinguish yourself from a 7th round draft pick who was drafted 3 years ago and was, at one point, released by the team. i really hope i'm wrong. i hope that Davis comes back and returns every kick for a TD. but you won't catch me holding my breath.

infantrycak
03-19-2009, 07:15 PM
im not arguing that Anderson and Davis are different receivers, but the fact still remains that if you're a veteran reciever that is making 3 million a year you should be able to distinguish yourself from a 7th round draft pick who was drafted 3 years ago and was, at one point, released by the team. i really hope i'm wrong. i hope that Davis comes back and returns every kick for a TD. but you won't catch me holding my breath.

FYI--Davis will make $2.1 mil this year and $2.5 mil next year. He'll never see the $4.7 mil of the last year of his contract.

V3rm0nt3r
03-19-2009, 08:57 PM
FYI--Davis will make $2.1 mil this year and $2.5 mil next year. He'll never see the $4.7 mil of the last year of his contract.

i don't pretend to know that i know contracts. i just pull my numbers from inthebullseye.com

The1ApplePie
03-19-2009, 10:28 PM
I rather see Jeremy Maclin take the roster spot from Andre Davis but he is a hell of a situational player.

Polo
04-27-2009, 05:01 PM
I didn't want to start a new thread, so I dug this one up...

What do you guys think his role will be this upcoming season?

I ask because there are only so many balls to go around and it looks like we might have some guys that can play gunner and also return kicks....

I also think that DA is a capable slot guy...We just added Casey...Hopefully we'll add another RB....There are only so many balls to go around ya know...

Texan JBZ
04-27-2009, 05:17 PM
I didn't want to start a new thread, so I dug this one up...

What do you guys think his role will be this upcoming season?

I ask because there are only so many balls to go around and it looks like we might have some guys that can play gunner and also return kicks....

I also think that DA is a capable slot guy...We just added Casey...Hopefully we'll add another RB....There are only so many balls to go around ya know...

Was Andre Davis on the team last year? He'd better wake up and get to work. He contributed nothing last year to the offense or the return game. I think that either he or Jacoby will not make the team next season.

Polo
04-29-2009, 05:12 PM
Was Andre Davis on the team last year? He'd better wake up and get to work. He contributed nothing last year to the offense or the return game. I think that either he or Jacoby will not make the team next season.

Interesting perdiction.

I keep thinking about the money we gave to Davis and I wonder if it was worth it. On one hand, he seems like a good fill in if a starter goes down...but on the other hand I can see him as being completely obsolete in our offense...

I don't see how they have enough balls to go around to get all these guys involved in the offense...The tendered DA, so obviously they want him ivolved in some kind of way...they go out and get Casey...I think that if Jacoby can prove he can hold onto the ball they'd rather have him out there than Davis too...Hopefully we get a legit two back system...That's just one more guy that will be getting the ball...

I'll be very intereseted in seeing how this offense comes together.

Texecutioner
04-29-2009, 05:15 PM
Interesting perdiction.

I keep thinking about the money we gave to Davis and I wonder if it was worth it. On one hand, he seems like a good fill in if a starter goes down...but on the other hand I can see him as being completely obsolete in our offense...

I don't see how they have enough balls to go around to get all these guys involved in the offense...The tendered DA, so obviously they want him ivolved in some kind of way...they go out and get Casey...I think that if Jacoby can prove he can hold onto the ball they'd rather have him out there than Davis too...Hopefully we get a legit two back system...That's just one more guy that will be getting the ball...

I'll be very intereseted in seeing how this offense comes together.

They've got a lot more confidence in Davis than they do Jacoby. I doubt that Jacoby will even make it out of pre season.

Polo
04-29-2009, 05:19 PM
They've got a lot more confidence in Davis than they do Jacoby. I doubt that Jacoby will even make it out of pre season.

Before Jacoby got hurt/started having fumble problems he was more involved in the offense than Davis was...They even tried that wild cat formation just so that Jacoby could get involved (he should have gave it to Slaton).

After he started fumbling on punt returns it kinda put him in the dog house all the way around...

Im just saying that I think the Texans would rather have Jacoby involved in plays vs. Davis IF he can prove that he can hold onto the ball...

Texecutioner
04-29-2009, 05:32 PM
Before Jacoby got hurt/started having fumble problems he was more involved in the offense than Davis was...They even tried that wild cat formation just so that Jacoby could get involved (he should have gave it to Slaton).

After he started fumbling on punt returns it kinda put him in the dog house all the way around...

Im just saying that I think the Texans would rather have Jacoby involved in plays vs. Davis IF he can prove that he can hold onto the ball...

Jacoby doesn't run good routes and just doesn't seem to have the concentration out there.

I swear if Jacoby wouldn't have had those big plays in pre season two years ago, no one would even be talking about him.

V3rm0nt3r
04-29-2009, 05:44 PM
Jacoby doesn't run good routes and just doesn't seem to have the concentration out there.

I swear if Jacoby wouldn't have had those big plays in pre season two years ago, no one would even be talking about him.

yeah but he's fast. and he has good vision with the ball. he's not going to be a WR. i think that was evidenced when Jenkins was brought up at the end of last year. i think they may just change his description to PR this season. thats IF he can learn how to hold onto the ball.

Thorn
04-29-2009, 05:52 PM
I think it's sad JJ is not going to work out for the Texans. He is quite exciting when he has his head screwed on straight. I don't see JJ on the final roster this season.

thunderkyss
04-29-2009, 05:59 PM
yeah but he's fast. and he has good vision with the ball. he's not going to be a WR. i think that was evidenced when Jenkins was brought up at the end of last year.

I think Casey may have taken Jacoby's role. I also don't believe JJ will be a Texan in '09.

I hear all the talk about Andre Davis..... I too would like to see more of him in the offense.

We've got soooo much talent at WR now, it's a shame not to get it all on the field more often.

We need to lose the full back, and come out with three & four WRs more often.

AustinJB
04-29-2009, 06:16 PM
yeah but he's fast. and he has good vision with the ball. he's not going to be a WR. i think that was evidenced when Jenkins was brought up at the end of last year. i think they may just change his description to PR this season. thats IF he can learn how to hold onto the ball.

And THAT is why he will not make the team IMO.

When you have a FO that is drafting for versatility and you have a troubled player who can't play WR and can only return punts (dangerously fumbling the ball at times,) I just don't see him sticking w/ the team. Kubiak has already proven (Mathis) that he will not tolerate a troubled PR-only kind of player, no matter how good he was at it (Pro-Bowl)....and JJ isn't even at a Pro-Bowl level yet.

Spike
04-29-2009, 06:24 PM
I think Casey may have taken Jacoby's role. I also don't believe JJ will be a Texan in '09.

I hear all the talk about Andre Davis..... I too would like to see more of him in the offense.

We've got soooo much talent at WR now, it's a shame not to get it all on the field more often.

We need to lose the full back, and come out with three & four WRs more often.

W/r/t Davis, I think his contract has been fair and he has been as productive as necessary under the applicable circumstances. With the continued improvement and confidence of Walter and the emergence of Anderson - I think he becomes a less critical safety valve.

When the team matched Anderson's contract, I got the same feeling about Jacoby. Clearly, by the end of last season, his primary value was on special teams - although increasingly diminished by his inconsistency. He hasn't seemed to reach his potential as a receiver.

Ultimately, I think this is a numbers game between the receiver and TE positions. I am not sure what we carried on the active roster - but I don't think we have the flexibility to carry 4 TEs and 5 WRs. The versatility of the guys at the bottom of the chain may ultimately impact all of this.

I do think that Jacoby has shown potential to be traded. I hope that if we do let him go, we try to market his upside for a trade pick.

ObsiWan
04-29-2009, 07:11 PM
I think it's sad JJ is not going to work out for the Texans. He is quite exciting when he has his head screwed on straight. I don't see JJ on the final roster this season.

I think its sad they don't make better use of Andre Davis. When A.J. went down in '07, A.D. stepped up big time. and how do they reward him, they basically give the #3 job to David Anderson.

Kubiak does have his favorites.
Maybe Davis could get more P.T. if he learned to do the string dance.

infantrycak
04-29-2009, 11:12 PM
I think its sad they don't make better use of Andre Davis. When A.J. went down in '07, A.D. stepped up big time. and how do they reward him, they basically give the #3 job to David Anderson.

Kubiak does have his favorites.
Maybe Davis could get more P.T. if he learned to do the string dance.

True to a degree, BUT... DA and AD aren't the same players. AD looked good coming in during 2007 filling part of AJ's job - stretching the field. AJ is also good working short spaces - AD not so much. DA on the other hand isn't going to stretch the field but works short spaces well. Walter is #2 because he blocks well and frankly is a jack of all trades - he'll get the 40 yarder at a clutch moment and is a 1st down machine. AD is more redundant with Walter on the field if AJ is out than AD is - still need to stretch the field but Walter is grabbing 1st's pretty well. Plus AD is useful purely for returns (even though I think that is vastly overrated but that is another discussion).

I don't think favorites has as much to do with it as analysis - of course folks can disagree on the conclusions.

whiskeyrbl
04-30-2009, 12:11 AM
His returns this year were weak. Hopefully he returns to form in that respect, though I think I'd like to see him catching a few balls this year from a WR position instead of KR.

Maybe Brice McCain can make a difference in KO returns and Davis can be our solid #3. Or who knows maybe he is on the way out. I hope not but you never know now.