PDA

View Full Version : Peppers to Patriots?

TheRealJoker
03-16-2009, 03:08 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80f48fa8&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Its gonna suck for us to play them next season if this is true :(

El Tejano
03-16-2009, 03:20 PM
It's gonna suck for them too.

TexansSeminole
03-16-2009, 05:06 PM
That would not be good for teams in the AFC. Peppers is a force.

Texecutioner
03-16-2009, 05:08 PM
That would not be good for teams in the AFC. Peppers is a force.

Peppers on one side and Seymour on the other? Geez, that is a scary thought. Kind of like imagining Mario on one side and Peppers on the other. To bad we don't have an owner that likes to go after big time players in free agency.

The Pencil Neck
03-16-2009, 05:17 PM
Peppers on one side and Seymour on the other? Geez, that is a scary thought. Kind of like imagining Mario on one side and Peppers on the other. To bad we don't have an owner that likes to go after big time players in free agency.

He's not a free agent and he's going to be expensive as hell. Probably much more expensive than he's worth.

Texecutioner
03-16-2009, 05:21 PM
He's not a free agent and he's going to be expensive as hell. Probably much more expensive than he's worth.

You're right and I forgot because he was supposed to be one but got tagged and now is being dealt.

I don't think he'll be to expensive though personally, when you imagine how destructive the Texans could be with both DE's. I knew the Texans wouldn't have gone after him though so I'm just venting a bit. We'll have to see what the Patriots restructure him at if this goes down and then we can decide whether or not if he was to expensive. I'll bet my money on the fact that if this does happen that the Pats will get him for a good price. I can't think of any deals that the Pats did in recent years where they over paid for any player unless he got hurt or something.

Tailgate
03-16-2009, 05:48 PM
My good buddy is a huge die hard Boston fan. Its like it continuously rains awesome on him. Heck even the Bruins are one of the best teams in hockey.

Texan4Ever
03-16-2009, 06:11 PM
IMO I think Peppers is stupid for wanting to move onto a 3-4 defensive team. If he does sign with the Pats, will he start? They have Ty Warren and Richard Seymour, who when healthy, dominate on D at the DE positions. :thinking:

TexansSeminole
03-16-2009, 06:39 PM
IMO I think Peppers is stupid for wanting to move onto a 3-4 defensive team. If he does sign with the Pats, will he start? They have Ty Warren and Richard Seymour, who when healthy, dominate on D at the DE positions. :thinking:

Peppers could play a little OLB if the Pats wanted him to. Have Warren play the end spot when Peppers is not playing OLB.

TheRealJoker
03-16-2009, 06:44 PM
Peppers would be one of the starting OLBs if this trade happens.

GuerillaBlack
03-16-2009, 06:46 PM
My good buddy is a huge die hard Boston fan. Its like it continuously rains awesome on him. Heck even the Bruins are one of the best teams in hockey.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d107/nitroboy24/brady.jpg

Tailgate
03-16-2009, 06:58 PM
Thats basically all I have to hang my hat on when we debate.... him losing in the Super Bowl and not making it to the world series the year before. Can you say..... Spoiled.

TimeKiller
03-16-2009, 07:02 PM
If this is true their defense becomes sick again

mattieuk
03-16-2009, 07:48 PM
You're right and I forgot because he was supposed to be one but got tagged and now is being dealt.

I don't think he'll be to expensive though personally, when you imagine how destructive the Texans could be with both DE's. I knew the Texans wouldn't have gone after him though so I'm just venting a bit. We'll have to see what the Patriots restructure him at if this goes down and then we can decide whether or not if he was to expensive. I'll bet my money on the fact that if this does happen that the Pats will get him for a good price. I can't think of any deals that the Pats did in recent years where they over paid for any player unless he got hurt or something.

Reports are saying that he's going to be valued at around the 2nd round pick from the Pats (34th) that they acquired from the Chiefs. Thats a fair outlay to begin with, then there is the cap munching numbers on his contract. He is not going to be cheap. That said, the Patriots front office more often than not hit big with their off season work, he may cost a bit, but I'll guess now his impact on them will have been worth it by this time next year if it all goes through.

Hervoyel
03-16-2009, 08:09 PM
Mark my words on this. Whether they acquire Peppers or not, we're going to destroy New England when we play them next year.

Big Poundcake
03-16-2009, 08:23 PM
If it only cost them their pick that they got from KC, then it would be a great deal for the Pats.

Peppers can still play and somehow I think that NE will find a way to get everything they can out of Peppers.

As a Texans fan, I don't really care too much either way.

Second Honeymoon
03-16-2009, 08:24 PM
if its the Chief's 2nd Rounder, that is quite a coup by the Patriots.

if the price is that low, the Texans should think long and hard about talking trade. i'd give the Panthers the Texans 2nd Rounder and next year's 3rd Rounder and switch 1st Rounders with the Panthers for Peppers ala the Schaub deal just nerfed a bit

That would give them the draft slots and a mid 2nd Rounder and another one next year, while allowing them to move a few slots up in the 1st Round.

Peppers and Williams > Peppers and Seymour

Goatcheese
03-16-2009, 08:27 PM

if the price is that low, the Texans should think long and hard about talking trade. i'd give the Panthers the Texans 2nd Rounder and next year's 2nd Rounder and switch 1st Rounders with the Panthers for Peppers.

That would give them the draft slots and a mid 2nd Rounder and another one next year, while allowing them to move a few slots up in the 1st Round.

2 likely starters, and the trade down in the first. Ouch. That's a lot of talent to give up for a guy nearing 30. Especially when we just gave a guy 7 mil/year to play that spot.

Second Honeymoon
03-16-2009, 08:29 PM
2 likely starters, and the trade down in the first. Ouch. That's a lot of talent to give up for a guy nearing 30. Especially when we just gave a guy 7 mil/year to play that spot.

yeah upon further review i changed it to a 2nd rounder in 2009 and a 3rd rounder in 2010 and give up the draft spots for him. I don't think the Antonio Smith deal should effect our interest in Peppers. You need a stable of DL talent. Imagine if you put Peppers and Smith on the end and put Mario as inside rush at DT on pass rushing downs...and you need to have depth to compete in this league. You get a crew and if costs a little extra, so be it. I'll pay an extra .50cents a beer if it meant we had Peppers to help free up Mario. If you were to add a Maleauga/Cushing/Jenkins/etc. and Peppers to our DL in the 1st 2 rounds, it would be the greatest offseason ever.

Jackie Chiles
03-16-2009, 09:17 PM

if the price is that low, the Texans should think long and hard about talking trade. i'd give the Panthers the Texans 2nd Rounder and next year's 3rd Rounder and switch 1st Rounders with the Panthers for Peppers ala the Schaub deal just nerfed a bit

I'm pretty sure the Panthers do not have a first round pick this year due to trading up to get Otah last year. Philly has their 1 so switching picks in the 1st is impossible. If the Patriots (or anyone) get Peppers and don't have to give up a first round pick that is a heck of a deal.

Second Honeymoon
03-16-2009, 10:34 PM
I'm pretty sure the Panthers do not have a first round pick this year due to trading up to get Otah last year. Philly has their 1 so switching picks in the 1st is impossible. If the Patriots (or anyone) get Peppers and don't have to give up a first round pick that is a heck of a deal.

forgot about the trade but you are right in that if Peppers is traded for a 2nd Rounder, whoever pulls it off got themselves a bargain.

mussop
03-17-2009, 04:38 AM
Im a little upset that we arent pursuing Peppers. Is NE in that much better of a cap situation than we are?

Maddict5
03-17-2009, 06:23 AM
Im a little upset that we arent pursuing Peppers. Is NE in that much better of a cap situation than we are?

Peppers only wants to go to teams like NE

ChampionTexan
03-17-2009, 01:59 PM
It's looking unlikely this is going to happen.

Christopher Price of WEEI radio reports that Adam Schefter of the NFL Network told WEEI's "Dennis & Callahan" this morning that Julius Peppers will not play for New England in 2009. This would appear to contradict a report yesterday from NFL.com reporter Vic Carucci that indicated the Patriots and Carolina Panthers were working on a deal that would send Peppers to New England for the 34th pick in the upcoming draft.

LINK (http://blog.theredzone.org/ViewItem.asp?Entry=572)

El Tejano
03-17-2009, 02:04 PM
If Schefter says no, it aint going to happen. He's usually pretty right on. Maybe the two teams are getting some feelers out before the draft for the draft.

El Tejano
03-17-2009, 02:11 PM
A new report on kffl.com says Peppers Interested in Cowboys.

Cowboys | Peppers interested?
Tue, 17 Mar 2009 10:44:40 -0700

The Associated Press reports the Dallas Cowboys and two unidentified NFC teams are on Carolina Panthers DL Julius Peppers' four-team wish list, according to a person close to Peppers. Peppers would also be interested in playing for the New England Patriots.

Ole Miss Texan
03-17-2009, 04:20 PM
So it would essentially be the Patriots trading Matt Cassell and Mike Vrabel for Julius Peppers? Seems like a decent deal, not really one sided. They've got Brady who they obviously feel is healthy. Vrabel they wanted to dump and they're in a prime spot to take a 3-4 LB in the 1st to add with Mayo or a highly rated CB. Dang, think about having LBs of Julius Peppers, Adalius Thomas, Jerrod Mayo, Tedy Bruschi... maybe add in Clay Matthews, Brian Cushing or James Lauarinaitis. Or Alphonso Smith/DJ Moore could be good picks.

i think it'd be a good move for the Pats. Of course with that 2nd rounder they give up, they might be able to have a rusher like Larry English. Pats always like to have veteran leadership though.

Edit: nevermind, he may not go to boston. I'd rather him end up on an NFC team anyways. I'd love to face Peppers in February only. ;)