PDA

View Full Version : NFLPA Elects new Executive Director

ChampionTexan
03-15-2009, 11:20 PM
DeMaurice Smith is the new executive director of the NFL Players Association, succeeding the late Gene Upshaw.

Smith was chosen Sunday as the union's fourth leader in its 41-year history, and follows Upshaw, who died in August. The NFL outsider has served as an attorney in Washington.

"Let's get to work," Smith told the membership when the vote was announced.

Smith was elected by a vote behind closed doors at the posh Fairmont Kea Lani resort on the island of Maui where the union has been meeting. The player reps heard from the four candidates Saturday and once again Sunday, with the candidates providing their closing arguments before the voting began by secret ballot.

LINK (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11506262)

Specnatz
03-15-2009, 11:35 PM
Compounding the importance of the negotiations is an economic meltdown that could damage the NFL's revenue-generating ability and entrench owners to hold their ground in seeking givebacks from players. Owners argue that the current agreement is too favorable for players, who get about 60 percent of applicable revenues.

The NFLPA has countered, citing a union-commissioned study that showed the average value of the teams has grown from $288 million to $1.04 billion over 10 years, an increase of about 14 percent a year.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has already raised the possibility of a rookie salary cap, a move that would significantly pare the multi-million-dollar deals going to unproven first-round draft picks.

Basically the owners are full of shit saying the players make to much money, when that is not the case, but money will be made available to proven guys like (for example) Eugene Wilson versus the contract he got because of the contracts of guys like TJ who suck and are a bust.

It will be interresting how much the owners think they have the leverage, since the new head of NFLPA is bosom buddies with the Prez.

Texaninlild
03-15-2009, 11:53 PM
Basically the owners are full of shit saying the players make to much money, when that is not the case, but money will be made available to proven guys like (for example) Eugene Wilson versus the contract he got because of the contracts of guys like TJ who suck and are a bust.

It will be interresting how much the owners think they have the leverage, since the new head of NFLPA is bosom buddies with the Prez.

I definitely would like to see the money going to the vets and the retired players health care. Maybe we will see less teams strapped with Ryan Leafs and David Carrs.

Goldensilence
03-16-2009, 12:09 AM
I hope Goodell is a little more serious then just menioning a rookie contract cap. This is long overdue and hurts teams and veteran players.

Specnatz
03-16-2009, 01:16 AM
I hope Goodell is a little more serious then just menioning a rookie contract cap. This is long overdue and hurts teams and veteran players.

He is serious, the ploy is the amount of money owners are losing to players.

threetoedpete
03-16-2009, 01:17 AM

It will be interesting how much the owners think they have the leverage, since the new head of NFLPA is bosom buddies with the Prez.

Well Spec....were going to see in 2011. I think the soap opera going on in Denver is a direct correlation to what is going on between the owners and the players.
"Let's get to work," Smith told the membership when the vote was announced.

You believe that one I've got a plot of land in Bolivar I'd like to talk to ya about.

Now what's going to happen....they will stall for two years and then....Smith will make an offer. I'm betting that there will be a no year in 2011 . Then there'll be a bitter lock out. Smith's trump card is the anti trust law. He's politically connected. And , he's a trial layer. That's all you kneed to know about the guy. No football experience. No Labor experience. He's just a hatchet. A politically connected hack. The players just shot the finger at the owners and told them we want it all.

threetoedpete
03-16-2009, 01:25 AM
I definitely would like to see the money going to the vets and the retired players health care. Maybe we will see less teams strapped with Ryan Leafs and David Carrs.

A contract is a contract is a contract.....no body holds a gun to these guys head and says sign this or I'll blow your brains out. Now you wanna re do two thousand years of contract law....be my guest. Everyone is a big boy when they sign the contract. Now you wanna ***** about OSHA or the congress not doing something about the occupational hazard, be my guest. The owners have an anti trust law in their back pockets. Venture capitol, look it up.

Specnatz
03-16-2009, 02:37 AM
A contract is a contract is a contract.....no body holds a gun to these guys head and says sign this or I'll blow your brains out. Now you wanna re do two thousand years of contract law....be my guest. Everyone is a big boy when they sign the contract. Now you wanna ***** about OSHA or the congress not doing something about the occupational hazard, be my guest. The owners have an anti trust law in their back pockets. Venture capitol, look it up.

I think you misread.

when anyone talks about money going to vets they mean like baseball HUGE deals for rookies and guys who can still play being forced out so rookies being forcd up caue of moey. In the nfl it works similar .. Large deals to 1 - 10 guys and older guys being screwed because of economics and salary cap.

It is not redoing 2k years of contract laws. The smartest person I know as far as the law is concerned is Texan_Chick and she praises it about as much as the Jags attendance record. So take what you want.