PDA

View Full Version : Texans re-sign Ferguson

whiskeyrbl
03-12-2009, 04:09 PM
Just recieved a text from the Texans that they have re-signed Nick Ferguson. No details were given. Maybe the Chron will have something up soon.

Errant Hothy
03-12-2009, 04:28 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6307975.html

The Texans re-signed veteran safety Nick Ferguson today.

Ferguson, who started with Eugene Wilson last season, is expected to be the third safety behind Wilson and Dominique Barber.

Unless the contract is for some stupid amount, it's a good signing for depth purposes.

El Tejano
03-12-2009, 04:28 PM
This is good. For a second I was think E Wilson and was like, this is old news. Looking at it again, I'm glad that we got this guy back. He played well for us.

TheRealJoker
03-12-2009, 04:46 PM
Steady vet that can start in a pinch (like he did last season). Good insurance policy to bring into next season. I think we're still gonna bring another safety in, but if all else fails we can still use Ferguson.

Specnatz
03-12-2009, 04:49 PM
Whew big sigh of relief, if nothing else he is depth. But looking at our roster I was worried about that.

TimeKiller
03-12-2009, 05:53 PM
Give me a "D"!!

Spike
03-12-2009, 05:57 PM
I am glad to see this signing...but am wondering when we are going to lock up Ryans and Robinson. It is great to lock down reliable depth with familiarity in the system, but we need to make sure that the defensive leaders are happy as well.

Shaft75
03-12-2009, 06:02 PM
Now Delmas, or Chung, gets great advice from two other safeties that have been around the block a time or two.

keyser
03-12-2009, 06:04 PM
Glad to have him back (assuming it's not for an outrageous amount of money).

As for our safeties, I feel like I don't see Harrison mentioned as much as I would have hoped. I know he's behind due to injuries, but I'm wondering if the staff has already given up on him.

Texan4Ever
03-12-2009, 06:05 PM
Ferguson and Wilson played well enough to return as starters opening day. Now all we need is another explosive, hard-hitting, jaw-breaking, bone-crushing...safety like Chung to strike fear in Peyton Manning and Co.

Anyways, great job by the F.O.

PHAROAH
03-12-2009, 06:25 PM
Now Delmas, or Chung, gets great advice from two other safeties that have been around the block a time or two.I agree one of those Strong Safeties have to be on our board in the 2nd round.

kiwitexansfan
03-12-2009, 06:32 PM
Huge free agent move by the FO, awesome work........ or just hmmmm.

I really hope they find a S in the first 3 rounds who can start for us. Wilson I can live with but the Ferguson/Barber platter doesn't inspire me.

Quick question: Has Bush given any indication whether he is going to continue with the Left and Right Safety thing or is he a traditionalist and wants to play Free and Strong Safeties?

Specnatz
03-12-2009, 06:48 PM
I agree one of those Strong Safeties have to be on our board in the 2nd round.

Chung = SS

Delmas = FS

In my opinion.

Errant Hothy
03-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Chung = SS

Delmas = FS

In my opinion.

Mine as well, but I'm not convinced that the Texans will go after either of them, if available, in the 2nd round.

TimeKiller
03-12-2009, 07:04 PM
I really hope they find a S in the first 3 rounds who can start for us. Wilson I can live with but the Ferguson/Barber platter doesn't inspire me.

Quick question: Has Bush given any indication whether he is going to continue with the Left and Right Safety thing or is he a traditionalist and wants to play Free and Strong Safeties?
Quick but good. I think Barber has the potential to be good, he seems very physical and quick to me (maybe just a rubbed off perception from his brother) like a SS should be and a great special teamer. Can he cover though? To be seen. Wilson seems like a FS type safety to me and Oldman Ferg definitely a SS, Barber too so maybe we'll see more defined roles from this position and hopefully some actual plays being made from the back. I'm totally down for less of the "good at everything" idea at safety because while it's a killer theory we haven't had the players to do it.

Jackie Chiles
03-12-2009, 07:05 PM
Chung = SS

Delmas = FS

In my opinion.

I agree with this but anyone else think Delmas could play SS? He is a bit small but he plays bigger, similar to Dunta. He could play SS a year or two and then replace Eugene at FS. Wouldn't hurt to have a SS that can really cover. I doubt he is around at our 2nd pick however.

kiwitexansfan
03-12-2009, 07:11 PM
Quick but good. I think Barber has the potential to be good, he seems very physical and quick to me (maybe just a rubbed off perception from his brother) like a SS should be and a great special teamer. Can he cover though? To be seen. Wilson seems like a FS type safety to me and Oldman Ferg definitely a SS, Barber too so maybe we'll see more defined roles from this position and hopefully some actual plays being made from the back. I'm totally down for less of the "good at everything" idea at safety because while it's a killer theory we haven't had the players to do it.

Wilson was a FS in the NE system if I remember right, did a good job of it too.

Dapper
03-12-2009, 08:33 PM
Chung = SS

Delmas = FS

In my opinion.

would you move up to take either of these guys?:thinking:

Specnatz
03-12-2009, 09:03 PM

No because one of them will be available in the second.

Goatcheese
03-12-2009, 11:29 PM

There are 3 or 4 Safety prospects that are graded pretty close in the second. Which one is better is a matter of scheme, and personal theory. One of them will be there.

El Tejano
03-13-2009, 09:53 AM
I like Emanuel Cook. I think he is a SS though.

CloakNNNdagger
03-21-2009, 12:21 PM
Just a heads up on a Ferguson interview on the official site:

Ferguson excited to play for Gibbs (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5192)

barrett
03-21-2009, 01:53 PM
he's a good interview. get this man a job on tv when he's done!

ObsiWan
03-21-2009, 05:39 PM
he's a good interview. get this man a job on tv when he's done!

I dunno... he appears to be the kind of guy who will end up in coaching/teaching to me...

I like him, glad he's back.

DiehardChris
03-21-2009, 06:10 PM
I dunno... he appears to be the kind of guy who will end up in coaching/teaching to me...

I like him, glad he's back.

I am too. I think sometimes a veteran presence can be as much underrated as it can be overrated. Obviously, PLAY is the most important thing - but it's just kind of a perfect situation since Barber is apparently going to start and his backup is a guy who he already had a good rapport with, and is willing to teach.

infantrycak
03-22-2009, 09:54 AM
Brooke Bentley: The Texans brought in new defensive back coach David Gibbs. Have you gotten to talk to him much?

Nick Ferguson: I talked to coach Gibbs; we have a past. Coach Gibbs was my secondary coach in Denver, so I know his coaching style and he knows me as a player. So I think the relationship is still there. Itís fun playing for him. His style may be a little different, but he brings out the best in the players, so the guys in the secondary, theyíre going to love him.

Brooke Bentley: How would you describe his coaching style?

Nick Ferguson: A couple of tones down from his father. If anyone knows how Alex Gibbs coaches, his son is somewhat the same. Itís just that the tone is just a little lower than his fatherís.

Link (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5192)

I really hope Gibbs can do better than Hoke at inspiring and training the db's. Not sure how Hoke got his great reputation but the performance sucked.

zcity
03-23-2009, 11:15 AM
BIG signing !!!!!!!!!!!!

IMO - He may have been the defensive MVP last year. He was our best tackler - Huge against the run all year long.