PDA

View Full Version : Packer DE Mike Montgomery in town

nunusguy
03-11-2009, 06:45 AM
Here’s some more DE news out of Reliant. It doesn’t appear that the Houston Chronicle caught on to this, but the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that Packers unrestricted free agent DE Mike Montgomery visited with the Texans on Monday.
http://www.houstondiehards.com/?p=4264

TimeKiller
03-11-2009, 07:14 AM
Is there anyone actually working at the Chronicle? Does it have to be a joke?

BigBull17
03-11-2009, 07:19 AM
What? We have Texas Sports Writer of the Year Richard Justice on staff. What more could you want...? He is both impartial and professional in everything he does. Such a true Houston sports fan. He really likes the Texans...

Thorn
03-11-2009, 07:26 AM
What? We have Texas Sports Writer of the Year Richard Justice on staff. What more could you want...? He is both impartial and professional in everything he does. Such a true Houston sports fan. He really likes the Texans...

LOL, good one. That was so perverse, no sarcasm sign was needed.

dalemurphy
03-11-2009, 07:54 AM
Here’s some more DE news out of Reliant. It doesn’t appear that the Houston Chronicle caught on to this, but the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that Packers unrestricted free agent DE Mike Montgomery visited with the Texans on Monday.
http://www.houstondiehards.com/?p=4264

Wow! we probably have already signed him considering the Cochran news.

El Tejano
03-11-2009, 08:02 AM
So let's talk Mike Montgomery. Any info on this guy? Good or bad?

pbat488
03-11-2009, 08:05 AM
Big, able-bodied end, who is also a Texan boy. Graduated from A&M so also some incentive there for Kubes to sign him. Don't have much game tape on him except from the GB game this year, so when I get time I'm gonna have to check that out.. Can't hurt having more depth/competition on the line though, right?

LOL! :user:

dalemurphy
03-11-2009, 08:08 AM
So let's talk Mike Montgomery. Any info on this guy? Good or bad?

I justed looked him up on scouts inc. He had 2.5 sacks and about 60 tackles. He's identical in size to A. Smith: 6'3" 275 lbs. and sounds like a very similar player- pretty strong, can play inside in a one gap... gives good effort... has a pretty good set of moves... lacks ideal speed/burst but is still developing.

Honoring Earl 34
03-11-2009, 08:11 AM
Andre Ware said to watch out for this a couple of weeks ago .

TimeKiller
03-11-2009, 08:13 AM

Even a dumb clock is right twice a year....

El Tejano
03-11-2009, 08:15 AM

Can you elaborate on why he said this?

dalemurphy
03-11-2009, 08:19 AM

I didn't hear him but I'm pretty sure AWare said,

"Spread them out!!! you gotta spread them out!!!!" or something to that affect. I'm not sure what that had to do with Mike Montgomery but Andre Ware is the kind of genius you just don't question , you only hope to one day understand.

Honoring Earl 34
03-11-2009, 08:40 AM

He said that Montgomery is no longer needed in Green Bay because there switching to the 3-4 . He said a little birdy told him that he was talking to the Texans .

nunusguy
03-11-2009, 08:43 AM
Is there anyone actually working at the Chronicle? Does it have to be a joke?

I dunno but maybe Chron NFL "Beat Writer" John McClain is busy directing and producing a new movie starring Sean Penn & Kate Winslet based upon his own screenplay ?

Kaiser Toro
03-11-2009, 08:47 AM
I dunno but maybe Chron NFL "Beat Writer" John McClain is busy directing and producing a new movie starring Sean Penn & Kate Winslet based upon his own screenplay ?

Or that it is expected that we will sign someone from Green Bay at least once a year. :specnatz:

El Tejano
03-11-2009, 09:17 AM
I didn't hear him but I'm pretty sure AWare said,

"Spread them out!!! you gotta spread them out!!!!" or something to that affect. I'm not sure what that had to do with Mike Montgomery but Andre Ware is the kind of genius you just don't question , you only hope to one day understand.

I'm guessing he was talking about our options at DE opposite Mario.

dalemurphy
03-11-2009, 09:23 AM
McClain said that the Texans are not going to sign Montgomery

nero THE zero
03-11-2009, 09:37 AM
McClain said that the Texans are not going to sign Montgomery

Did he offer an explanation for the Cochran withdrawl?

JB
03-11-2009, 10:19 AM

He said that Cochran did not sign the tender so it was pulled

Hervoyel
03-11-2009, 10:34 AM
Even a dumb clock is right twice a year....

Wouldn't a dumb clock (dumb meaning broken right?) be right 730 times a year?

dalemurphy
03-11-2009, 10:42 AM

He was looking into it but he said they still want to re-sign him but for less.

By the way, the Cochran thing and Montgomery visit are pure coincidence. Montgomery isn't coming here- I can say that with certainty.

Texan_Bill
03-11-2009, 10:44 AM

Are you sure that Kate Winslet will get the part over Anna Megan? :thinking:

Jackie Chiles
03-11-2009, 11:58 AM
He was looking into it but he said they still want to re-sign him but for less.

By the way, the Cochran thing and Montgomery visit are pure coincidence. Montgomery isn't coming here- I can say that with certainty.

The Chron story is up http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6305006.html

How are you so certain that he won't sign here? McClain as well. Did he get into a bare knuckle brawl with Rick and Gary or something?

False Start
03-11-2009, 12:03 PM
The Chron story is up http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6305006.html

How are you so certain that he won't sign here? McClain as well. Did he get into a bare knuckle brawl with Rick and Gary or something?

Maybe they called him "kid" and he didn't like that.

wags
03-11-2009, 12:04 PM

Just found this on kffl....

Packers | Montgomery could return
Wed, 11 Mar 2009 08:46:16 -0700

Bob Mcginn and Tom Silverstein, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, report free-agent DL Mike Montgomery (Packers) would like to return to the Green Bay Packers and is weighing a one-year deal from the team against interest from other teams.

http://kffl.com

michaelm
03-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Or that it is expected that we will sign someone from Green Bay at least once a year. :specnatz:

KT, of all people, I'm surprized that you would perpetuate the GB/Denver connection myth/legend.

I'm not saying that it's not true, or that what you said is unfunny, but I'm still surprized. :specnatz:

76Texan
03-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Montgomery is a guy I thought can be a possibility with the Texans.
I had a little convo with Rozelle about it a while back.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57833&page=3

A player I look for the Texans to pursue (or his agent to pursue the Texans) in free agency is Green Bay DE Michael Montgomery. The Pack won’t resign the UFA with the hiring of Capers and a switch to a 34 front.
Montgomery is from Carthage, Texas 150 miles or so northeast of Houston and played his college ball at coach Kubiak’s alma mater Texas A&M. Being able to come home should have value for him. He’s a bit undersized at 6-5 273, a rotational DE with good athletic skills who has played at both right and left DE. An upfield one gap player who could fit well in coach Bush’s scheme.

He had a pretty good year, especially in the running game.
But it looks to me he have good, solid efforts rushing the QB, is that true?

I think he might be a good fit in what Bush is wanting to do. He only had 2.5sacks. He had an ankle injury (I think back in October) and missed a couple games, ya never know how long those type of injuries linger. I seen him play a couple of times and thought he looked good. He has speed,quickness, and plays hard. He is not stout at the point, is best on the move attacking gaps and has good backside pursuit.

I don't care about numbers. I've studied him a couple of games, plus another 2-3 shortcut games.

Agree with your overall assessments.
I did not pay enough attention to the point of attack.
But he sure as heck caught my eyes more than Kampman.
Did the guy have some injury or other problem of some sort?
He seems a bit tentative, a bit hesitant, a bit off his usual self ???

Had some kind of ankle issue, sprain or something, not real sure. He still needs some polishing, I think he could be a nice pickup for the Texans.

kiwitexansfan
03-11-2009, 05:21 PM

Except on leap years... but yeah.

TimeKiller
03-11-2009, 05:38 PM

I guess it depends on how dumb you think it is....

Hervoyel
03-11-2009, 09:49 PM
I guess it depends on how dumb you think it is....

Man, I got in a conversation with my wife about this (I can obsess over the trivial with the worst of them) and she brought up the leap year point as well as the question "Well, what kind of clock is it?" If it's a digital clock and it's stuck on one time it's still only right 365 times a year in all likelihood because it's going to have an AM/PM indicator of some kind. Only an analog clock in non-leap years will be right 730 times in a year unless....

I need to just put the subject down now don't I?

thunderkyss
03-11-2009, 10:03 PM
well, it's nice to know the Texans aren't finished tweaking our pass rush.