PDA

View Full Version : Brian Cushing --- DO NOT WANT

TexansFanatic
03-09-2009, 11:55 PM
http://blog.internetnews.com/apatrizio/do-not-want-dog.jpg

Anyone else worried that a number of draft analysts seem to be thinking Brian Cushing will be the Texans' first pick?

From NFLdraftCountdown.com :

Only started 16 games his first three years at Southern Cal...Missed nearly half of his freshman season with a shoulder injury and was held out of some of the following seasons spring drills while recuperating...Sat out most of spring practice in 2007 with a strained hamstring then had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee...Also missed extensive action during the 2007 season with an ankle injury...Broke a bone in his right hand in 2008 and played with a cast but didn't miss any games...Has played defensive end, outside linebacker and inside linebacker for the Trojans...Manufactured athlete who should test well but isn't that impressive on film and often looks like a defensive end in a linebacker's body...Is overrated as a pro prospect but has the talent to start at the next level if he can somehow find a way to stay healthy.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/olb/Brian-Cushing.php

threetoedpete
03-10-2009, 02:47 AM

Anyone else worried that a number of draft analysts seem to be thinking Brian Cushing will be the Texans' first pick?

Has played defensive end, outside linebacker and inside linebacker for the Trojanshttp://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/olb/Brian-Cushing.php

That's what I'm buying....he can cover both OLB slots and add some pass rush. I think everyone is nit picking him to death. You saw USC play...what did you think ?

Goatcheese
03-10-2009, 05:50 AM

Only started 16 games his first three years at Southern Cal...Missed nearly half of his freshman season with a shoulder injury and was held out of some of the following seasons spring drills while recuperating...Sat out most of spring practice in 2007 with a strained hamstring then had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee...Also missed extensive action during the 2007 season with an ankle injury...Broke a bone in his right hand in 2008 and played with a cast but didn't miss any games...Has played defensive end, outside linebacker and inside linebacker for the Trojans...Manufactured athlete who should test well but isn't that impressive on film and often looks like a defensive end in a linebacker's body...Is overrated as a pro prospect but has the talent to start at the next level if he can somehow find a way to stay healthy.

Yikes. 5 injuries? If he were already on the Texans roster people would be calling him injury prone. People think we need to use a first rounder to replace Diles because he had 1 injury, and they want a guy with a serious injury record?

Pass.

His analysis is pretty much what I feel about Cushing. The more I've watched him the less I like what I see. I think he is a fringe first rounder/early second, not a mid first.

TexansFanatic
03-10-2009, 12:45 PM
You saw USC play...what did you think ?

Well, USC's a hell of a team. Lots of contributors. But I've watched a number of Cushing's highlight videos and he doesn't exactly jump off the screen.

Just my opinion, of course. I was wrong about Mario. I was wrong about VY. Always a chance I'm wrong again...

Ckw
03-10-2009, 01:00 PM
If we are going OLB, I still say we trade down and grab Clay Matthews.

Blake
03-10-2009, 01:00 PM
Ive seen mock drafts correctly pick Mario Williams and Andre Johnson. Thats about it.

Ole Miss Texan
03-10-2009, 03:03 PM
I've been interested in Cushing for a while. The steroid allegations don't really concern me too much. I think they've been blown out of proportion and if he used steroids the last few years while at USC, I feel strongly he would have been busted.

What does concern me about Cushing is the history of his injuries. One report I read on him suggested he may be better suited to play MLB in the NFL and that may actually prolong his career. Instead of hitting into OL, TE and RBs dead on from playing outside, he would be able to take better angles on them and may not get injured as much.

He seems like the perfect SLB for our team though... but if he's going to continue to get injured playing there then that's not the wisest investment.

Mr teX
03-10-2009, 03:44 PM

You can discard the freshman year injuries...he was a kid & his body probably hadn't even matured yet; that's the very reason many coaches redshirt their freshman.

ankle/foot injuries & strained hammies come with the territory of being a pro athlete & if you're going to worry about injuries like that, you might as worry about things like turf toe & concussions.

As u stated, the broken bone in his hand didn't slow him down 1 bit so....

The knee is the only thing to worry about, but these days it's sort of not. Everyone saw how Willis Mcgahee ripped up his in the NC game. Frank Gore had both his knees operated on in college. Look how both those guys are doing in the NFL. When you're young & in tip top shape your body can do some miraculous things.

He's certainly a gamble, but he proved last year that those things are behind him so....

mussop
03-10-2009, 04:11 PM
That's what I'm buying....he can cover both OLB slots and add some pass rush. I think everyone is nit picking him to death. You saw USC play...what did you think ?

I thought he was unimpressive. He never stood out or made big plays. IMO good consistant college LB, average PRO LB.

bah007
03-10-2009, 04:19 PM
I thought he was unimpressive. He never stood out or made big plays. IMO good consistant college LB, average PRO LB.

Taylor Mays didn't stand out or make many big plays last year either. What do you think of him?

mussop
03-10-2009, 04:26 PM
Taylor Mays didn't stand out or make many big plays last year either. What do you think of him?

I think when you play FS on a team that dominates the LOS you arent going to have the opportunity to make alot of plays. When you are a LB in that situation you should shine.

bah007
03-10-2009, 04:34 PM
I think when you play FS on a team that dominates the LOS you arent going to have the opportunity to make alot of plays. When you are a LB in that situation you should shine.

That's not a bad analysis. I could agree with that.

Nobody doubts that Mays is the most talented player on their defense, but I would like to see more production out of him next year. Until he proves me wrong, I consider Eric Berry to be the better safety of the two, but they are both top 10 talents in my book.

ThruThick&Thin
03-10-2009, 05:51 PM
Well if not Cushing, whom do you propose? Im really curious as to what people think the Texans should draft. It passes time at work and its exciting.

I was big on another D-line man, but I think as long as they draft a defensive player with their 1st pick I will be satsified.

YoungTexanFan
03-10-2009, 06:30 PM
That's not a bad analysis. I could agree with that.

Nobody doubts that Mays is the most talented player on their defense, but I would like to see more production out of him next year. Until he proves me wrong, I consider Eric Berry to be the better safety of the two, but they are both top 10 talents in my book.

Mays isn't the most talented player on their defense. He's the most athletic safety, but not even the best safety. Maualuga is better and so is Cushing.

The Pencil Neck
03-10-2009, 06:31 PM
Well if not Cushing, whom do you propose? Im really curious as to what people think the Texans should draft. It passes time at work and its exciting.

I was big on another D-line man, but I think as long as they draft a defensive player with their 1st pick I will be satsified.

Personally, of the guys I expect to be available, I'd be fine with:

Cushing
Matthews
Jerry
Jenkins
Ayers
English
Maualaga
Sean Smith
Everette Brown

But I could give you reasons for each one of those guys why we shouldn't take them and several of them could be considered reaches.

Goatcheese
03-10-2009, 06:38 PM

Michael Oher or perhaps Jerry?

Or maybe... Chris Wells? :hides:

mussop
03-10-2009, 06:54 PM
Mays isn't the most talented player on their defense. He's the most athletic safety, but not even the best safety. Maualuga is better and so is Cushing.

I think you might be in the minority on that one.

The1ApplePie
03-10-2009, 11:39 PM
Cush is a beast but I don't like all the 'roaids rumors

El Tejano
03-10-2009, 11:51 PM
Saw a few highlights on the dude and kind of laughed at them. Seems like alot of his tackles he had help. Clay 3 showed the ability to beat double teams.

Vinny
03-11-2009, 12:41 PM
I'd only be excited about drafting Cushing if we got him in the 3rd round. He's too much of a workout boy that never really impressed me all that much on the field. He'd be a good 'effort guy' that has the right attitude for a linebacker but he isn't a early to mid first round prospect imo.

beerlover
03-11-2009, 01:01 PM
I'd only be excited about drafting Cushing if we got him in the 3rd round. He's too much of a workout boy that never really impressed me all that much on the field. He'd be a good 'effort guy' that has the right attitude for a linebacker but he isn't a early to mid first round prospect imo.

think it was Lombardi (draft scout) saying he would be careful spending a high pick on a LB who comes off the field in 3rd down situations.

TexanAddict
03-11-2009, 01:06 PM
I never really saw too many USC games this year, but of the videos of Cushing I have seen thus far (supposedly "highlights" of his last season) he seems to do a lot of catching and arm-tackling and not deliver many hits. If anyone could refute this, I'd like to know about it.

El Tejano
03-11-2009, 01:12 PM
I never really saw too many USC games this year, but of the videos of Cushing I have seen thus far (supposedly "highlights" of his last season) he seems to do a lot of catching and arm-tackling and not deliver many hits. If anyone could refute this, I'd like to know about it.

I saw the same thing you did plus, as I stated before, it seems he either helped or received help on all his tackles.

IMO, if Texans are choosing between Matthews and Cushing, I'm going with Matthews. He has great hands to fight off blocks and that guy really did attract double teams and beat them. Now hearing this stuff about 10 yard bursts, I can't think of a reason to go with Cushing over him.

Oh yeah, plus Cushings name gives me the bad feeling that everyone's going to be calling him Cush (koosh) like that kid in Jerry Macguire.

Ole Miss Texan
03-11-2009, 01:55 PM
think it was Lombardi (draft scout) saying he would be careful spending a high pick on a LB who comes off the field in 3rd down situations.

I completely agree. That's one thing about the position and why it may not be valued quite as high. I think in Curry's case, he has the talent to stay on the field even if he starts at SLB. If an OLB can be moved to rush the passer on those downs instead of sitting on the sidelines, that skyrockets his value as a player and frees up an extra roster spot which coaches always love to have.

They may take a gamble on a guy like Matthews, English, Brown, etc. that potentially could play both spots.

TexanAddict
03-11-2009, 02:00 PM
I completely agree. That's one thing about the position and why it may not be valued quite as high. I think in Curry's case, he has the talent to stay on the field even if he starts at SLB. If an OLB can be moved to rush the passer on those downs instead of sitting on the sidelines, that skyrockets his value as a player and frees up an extra roster spot which coaches always love to have.

They may take a gamble on a guy like Matthews, English, Brown, etc. that potentially could play both spots.

Clint Sintim might also fit in this role.

Spled
03-15-2009, 12:01 AM
Cushing's a question mark. He's either going to be a long time star like Tedy Bruschi or a steroid creation that breaks down with injuries like Mike Mamula or Bosworth. Personally I think he may be less of a gamble than Matthews. SI has him at #3 linebacker and Matthews all the way down at 7. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/bucky_brooks/02/17/top10-lb/

threetoedpete
03-15-2009, 02:21 AM
Cushing's a question mark. He's either going to be a long time star like Tedy Bruschi or a steroid creation that breaks down with injuries like Mike Mamula or Bosworth. Personally I think he may be less of a gamble than Matthews. SI has him at #3 linebacker and Matthews all the way down at 7. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/bucky_brooks/02/17/top10-lb/

Bosworth was a pretty good football payer.....he just wasn't as good as Bo Jackson on one particular Monday night. Got rich selling anti-Biz T-shirts. Pretty smart fella. I 'm just hoping Dilles and Adibi meet your expectations and we got both of them...if we stay the course with the current back ups, for all our division games....just saying.

TexanAddict
03-16-2009, 12:05 AM
This article on Cushing was linked to in one of the AJ articles and is worth a read:

Saints take on Cushing (http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2009/3/7/781197/who-dat-draft-prospect-bri)

From the article:

So, let's meet Mr. Cushing.

Brian Cushing played SAM (strong-side linebacker) at USC. But he has the reputation of being very versatile, with good football intelligence. "Shows good instincts. Seems to play a step ahead of everyone else, as he locates and gets to it extremely fast. Recognizes play action quickly and does a nice job of staying home against misdirection." [ESPN] "NFL scouts don't admire Cushing for his statistics, but for his versatility. Athletic and instinctive enough to star at linebacker and yet big and strong enough to compete at defensive end -- as he did in starting 13 games at the position in 2006 when injuries forced the Trojans to be creative -- Cushing is arguably the draft's most versatile defender." [NFLDraftScout.com]

"Durability is a concern, as he missed nearly half the 2005 season with a shoulder injury. Also missed three games in 2007 due to a sprained ankle." [ESPN] "Has struggled with injuries throughout his career -- missing five games due to a shoulder separation in 2005 and three games in 2007 due to a high ankle sprain, as well as undergoing surgery after the 2006 (shoulder) and 2007 (knee) spring practices." [NFLDraftScout.com] "He had arthroscopic surgery on his ankle prior to 2008 spring practice and was limited in spring drills." [USC Trojans]

These durability concerns--which seem to be nearly unanimous--are not the only knock on Cushing. There is also a strange and probably unfair belief that he may, just may, be involved in steroid use. Cushing himself addressed that concern at the Combine press conference:

"I don’t understand where it is coming from," Cushing told me. "I was tested last December at USC and passed, one of several tests I have passed. I was tested this morning here at the combine and those results should be out in a couple of weeks to a month, I believe. I think people are trying to find something, anything, that would detract from what I have done on the field. You learn in life if it’s not one thing, it’s the other. I hope once I pass the test here that this will be put behind me. I’m really hoping for that." [Thomas George, NFL.com]

The fact is, Cushing has been heavily involved in dietary supplements since he was in high school: "For the past 3 years Brian has followed a program very similar to the one that I posted on 4-01-05. We work on getting brutally strong, eating a clean diet, incorporating the proper supplementation, getting flexible and mobile and then a couple weeks before training camp we get him in shape." [Joe DeFranco, DeFranco's Training] There's no real evidence of steroid use--Cushing is simply a workout warrior from an early age, and his long-term regimen may account both for his athletic prowess and his propensity for injury. But the "pattern" of heavy supplement use suggests to some that he's more willing than the average athlete to rely upon chemistry rather than natural athletic talent. In fact, some have even gone so far as to suggest that if you take away the supplements, Cushing would not be the player he is-- "There’s a big difference between supplements and steroids but what happens if he finds himself maxed out already?" [NFLDraftDog]--and an NFL player reliant upon OTC nutritional supplements is a suspension waiting to happen.

Yet with all these concerns, Cushing is universally considered a can't-miss NFL prospect, a surefire first-rounder, and most draft boards have him rated the second-best outside linebacker prospect, behind only Aaron Curry. His ranking seems not to have risen or fallen since the Combine, which suggests that most people's minds are made up, and Cushing's status is secure--pending only a rise or fall in his positional competition.

Cushing still isn't getting me worked up into a tizzy

mexican_texan
03-16-2009, 12:27 AM
Let me ask you this...would you have Shawn Merriman on your team?

barrett
03-16-2009, 12:29 AM
my only real view of him was in the senior bowl where he seemed to get to the ball quickly but seemed like a lousy tackler. He just didn't seem to have that football player kill'em mentality that I'd look for. I know there are a ton of those guys in the NFL. I just hope the Texans see past him.

Specnatz
03-16-2009, 12:43 AM
Let me ask you this...would you have Shawn Merriman on your team?

Not right now I wouldn't. there are way to many questions regarding his injuries from last year. Prior to that he looked like a one trick pony, a great one, but one none the less. He sucked in coverage and I do not think he did very well going down the sidelines as some. He always seemed to take a 4 yard gain angle to make the tackle. But he could rush the passer better than a lot of 3-4 OLB.

mexican_texan
03-16-2009, 01:38 AM
Let me clear this up.

Would you take a proven, Pro Bowl caliber OLB who gets caught on steroids? What are the consequences Shawn Merriman faced? A 4 game suspension and a slap on the wrist. Merriman was the best pass rushing OLB in the game for a while, though in everything else he wasn't quite as good.

threetoedpete
03-16-2009, 03:42 AM
Let me clear this up.

Would you take a proven, Pro Bowl caliber OLB who gets caught on steroids? What are the consequences Shawn Merriman faced? A 4 game suspension and a slap on the wrist. Merriman was the best pass rushing OLB in the game for a while, though in everything else he wasn't quite as good.

Cushing is getting nit picked to death now. Snow ball is rolling down the mountain and theres no stopping it until April twenty fourth. My bet it's coming out of Atlanta, Miami or Detroit to drive him down to the 21 spot. Not fair. But when you've got barracudas playing poker, it's best to keep loose fingers off of the table.

My answer to You and Lombardi, BL is simply this:

It's USC for Christs sake. The wolf in New England just shipped one off, a QB, for a two who could never get onto the field when he was there. Doesn't it stand to reason....They are so loaded with OLBs who are better at covering than Cushing is that as a matter of course they spelled the guy to keep him fresh ? Cushing's only flaw I've seen is that he tends to over run plays. In other words his athleticism over runs what his eyes are telling him. And he takes care of his body. Just take the guy out and shoot him why don't ya ? Cushing can cover anything at TE the Texans will see.

TexanAddict
03-16-2009, 08:34 AM
My problem with Cushing, as I mentioned before, is that in all the video I have been able to find, I have yet to see him put a decent hit on anyone that wasn't a QB. It seems as though he mostly catches the RB with his arms instead of delivering the hit to the ball carrier. Most NFL RBs will blow through the arm-tackles I saw. However, I didn't watch a whole lot of USC games last year, so if these videos are misleading and Cushing is a better tackler than I have seen displayed in these "highlight" videos, then I wouldn't mind him on the team (still would prefer a trade down).

TexansSeminole
03-16-2009, 11:02 AM
It's USC for Christs sake. The wolf in New England just shipped one off, a QB, for a two who could never get onto the field when he was there. Doesn't it stand to reason....They are so loaded with OLBs who are better at covering than Cushing is that as a matter of course they spelled the guy to keep him fresh ? Cushing's only flaw I've seen is that he tends to over run plays. In other words his athleticism over runs what his eyes are telling him. And he takes care of his body. Just take the guy out and shoot him why don't ya ? Cushing can cover anything at TE the Texans will see.

What a complete overexaggeration of Cushing's skills on nearly all levels. I like how you say Cushing can cover anything at TE the Texans will see. Overexaggeration of the century right there. And Cushing's only flaw is that he over runs plays? What?

The guy has had injury after injury during his career so I would be very worried about injuries. People who tell you they are not worried about injuries anymore with him are talking out of their asses. The guy has had an injury every year, I am not sure why anyone would suspect that the injuries would stop once he becomes a pro. I'm not saying he will for sure be injured but I am saying that people claiming his injury problems were because he "was a kid" or "were in the past" are spewing nonsense. There is absolutely nothing to suggest he is not still, as he has always been his entire career, injury prone. Just look at his past, it is not even arguable.

Add a seriously injury prone player to questions about steroids and the fact that the guy has been severely overhyped and I don't understand the support behind the pick. I guess people are so desperate for an OLB that they just pick a name from a list.

We can't afford to take an injury prone "strong" side linebacker who is overhyped at the #15 spot. Both of our starting OLBs were injured last year. Why in the world would we add someone who gets a rather severe injury every single year he plays football.

Vinny
03-16-2009, 11:06 AM
Add a seriously injury prone player to questions about steroids and the fact that the guy has been severely overhyped and I say pass unless he is there in the 2nd round. Even then I would be worried about him seeing the actual field, and not the weight room.
I'm not big on Cushing either. It may not be fair as a perception on Cushing but he carries it. Many 'manufactured' athletes are injury prone because while you can enlarge your musculature quite a bit with today's understanding of the body, your tendons, bones and supporting structures don't grow in proportion to your enhanced muscles and those guys tend to get injured more than a natural athlete that was blessed with a body they don't have to bulk up as much to compete. Their bodies already have a supporting structure that matches their musculature.

beerlover
03-16-2009, 11:08 AM
I'm not big on Cushing either. It may not be fair as a perception on Cushing but he carries it. Many 'manufactured' athletes are injury prone because while you can enlarge your musculature quite a bit with today's understanding of the body, your tendons, bones and supporting structures don't grow in proportion and those guys tend to get injured more than a natural athlete that was blessed with a body they don't have to bulk up as much to compete. Their bodies already have a supporting structure that matches their musculature.

would you consider Andre Smith a natural athlete?

Vinny
03-16-2009, 11:10 AM
would you consider Andre Smith a natural athlete?beats me, Cushing has some baggage and lots of question marks along with some gyno-teet boobs. I was just addressing the injury prone tie-in with some known problems with roid-boy bodies.

RipTraxx
03-16-2009, 12:17 PM
I'm not big on Cushing either. It may not be fair as a perception on Cushing but he carries it. Many 'manufactured' athletes are injury prone because while you can enlarge your musculature quite a bit with today's understanding of the body, your tendons, bones and supporting structures don't grow in proportion to your enhanced muscles and those guys tend to get injured more than a natural athlete that was blessed with a body they don't have to bulk up as much to compete. Their bodies already have a supporting structure that matches their musculature.

Im not disagreeing with what you saying, however then the same could be said about Matthews. Coming in to USC he was 166lbs. Has Matthews had injury problems?

HoustonFrog
03-16-2009, 12:47 PM
You don't want Cushing to be another Bobby Carpenter. Someone with that "motor" background who didn't fit anywhere in the pros.

TexansFanatic
03-16-2009, 12:57 PM
beats me, Cushing has some baggage and lots of question marks along with some gyno-teet boobs.

What did you just say? lol:

The Pencil Neck
03-16-2009, 02:15 PM

This is why you should always stack your steroids with hGH. The hGH promotes the strengthening of the connective tissue and minimizes injuries.

I'm not saying, I'm just sayin.

Spled
01-17-2010, 08:28 PM
It's funny to read back on this thread now that Cushing has won the DROY.

Pollardized
01-17-2010, 08:43 PM
LOL I had to stop reading halfway through. Too bad Cush just wasn't good enough for a mid first round pick.

GP
01-17-2010, 08:47 PM
Wow.

I'm not going to rag people too hard.

But you guys better think twice before laying into ME about how I don't have good analytical skills.

The vast majority of people had some pretty negative outlooks on the guy.

Oops. :roast:

GP
01-17-2010, 08:50 PM
Well, USC's a hell of a team. Lots of contributors. But I've watched a number of Cushing's highlight videos and he doesn't exactly jump off the screen.

Just my opinion, of course. I was wrong about Mario. I was wrong about VY. Always a chance I'm wrong again...

LOL.

Don't get mad at me, OK? It's all in some innocent, non-personal fun.

"...Always a chance I'm wrong again..."

GP
01-17-2010, 08:51 PM

:fans:

GP
01-17-2010, 08:53 PM
Threetoedpete nailed this one. :clap:

How can I get his address so I can send him an update on it?

steelbtexan
01-17-2010, 09:47 PM
Threetoedpete nailed this one. :clap:

How can I get his address so I can send him an update on it?

Haven't heard from TTP in a while.

Hope he's OK.

If anybody knows how to get in touch with him by e-mail or whatever let me know.

He was great to talk draft stuff with.

BTW I got both Cushing and Barwin right as our 1st two picks last year.

Thanks for the rep Senor Stan

YoungTexanFan
01-17-2010, 10:54 PM
I called Taylor Mays way early last year too it seems.

TheRealJoker
01-17-2010, 11:11 PM
Wow...

Ckw
01-18-2010, 12:17 AM
If we are going OLB, I still say we trade down and grab Clay Matthews.

It's mean going back to rag on people for what they said but since you brought it up, this was all I had to say in the thread. After a 50 tkl, 10 sack season, I'd say my suggestion still wasn't a bad one if we had gotten an extra 3rd or even 4th round pick out of it.

That being said, I love Cushing.

dalemurphy
01-18-2010, 12:43 AM
my only real view of him was in the senior bowl where he seemed to get to the ball quickly but seemed like a lousy tackler. He just didn't seem to have that football player kill'em mentality that I'd look for. I know there are a ton of those guys in the NFL. I just hope the Texans see past him.

Barrett... Ha!

Texecutioner
01-18-2010, 01:57 AM
Wow.

I'm not going to rag people too hard.

But you guys better think twice before laying into ME about how I don't have good analytical skills.

The vast majority of people had some pretty negative outlooks on the guy.

Oops. :roast:

Ha ha ha! Don't expect that GP. Lol! Most people on boards are way to bull headed to admit when they've been wrong. I will in this instance though with no problem. I love it when I'm wrong about my team when I've had a pessimistic outlook on a draft pick or something like that. The first thing I did when I saw this thread was look for a post of mine where I said that I didn't want Cushing and was against picking him. I didn't in this thread, but I know I did in others.

I've got no problem eating crow on the Cushing pick. Give it to me in a buffet style. Cushing was a beast. He helped the Texans all year long and helped my fantasy team as well. :tiphat: Hats off to Cush and to SMith and Kubes for that pick. I give them both a lot of shit, but they were right on with this one. Can't wait to watch the guy for years to come.

Texecutioner
01-18-2010, 02:00 AM

Ha ha! I was on the Taylor Mays band wagon as well. Lol!

I don't think anyone can feel bad for that though as good as he looked last season. A lot of us would have been wrong there to. But sometimes you just can't tell.

alphajoker
01-18-2010, 09:13 AM
Funny how people in this thread with respected "rep" were so wrong.

GP
01-18-2010, 09:24 AM
I kinda' feel bad for ragging people so hard about this.

I didn't think Matt Schaub would do anything but get hurt and play 5 or 6 games every season, so look what THAT got me: Pwned.

GP
01-18-2010, 09:26 AM
It's mean going back to rag on people for what they said but since you brought it up, this was all I had to say in the thread. After a 50 tkl, 10 sack season, I'd say my suggestion still wasn't a bad one if we had gotten an extra 3rd or even 4th round pick out of it.

That being said, I love Cushing.

You didn't miss, though.

Clay Matthews is proving to have been a good pick, too.

He finds ways to get to the ball, and he causes lots of fumbles. I don't watch much Packers football, but the times I turn to the games...the guy is making plays.

He's a smaller, maybe faster, version of Cushing. It would be awesome to have had BOTH those guys on our team.

01-18-2010, 10:14 AM
hahahaha... lovin this thread!!!

beerlover
01-18-2010, 10:18 AM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5219

4. Brian Cushing, USC
A big, versatile athlete who can play a number of positions at the next level. He possesses decent fluidity in space but does a great job using his hands and body control to slip blocks on the outside. Is very instinctive and finds the ball quickly. Showcases good power at the point of attack and delivers a jarring punch on contact. Lacks some explosion out of his breaks in coverage and will struggle in man-to-man at the next level. Had some trouble staying healthy at USC, and his durability might be an issue. Isn't the gifted pass rusher his press clippings would lead you to believe.

if you believe what you read based off this information he hardly equates to even a 1st rd. grade being graded out as only the 4th best OLB. guess Lomardi, a 23-year veteran of NFL personnel departments doesn't know what he's talking about?

For me I'm happy to be wrong if it means the Texans nailed a draft pick. I still feel they need to address LB earlier than most think because if injurys do play a bigger role you don't want to take a huge drop, play people out of position & lose what was gained in the first place :turtle:

b0ng
01-18-2010, 10:20 AM
I kinda' feel bad for ragging people so hard about this.

I didn't think Matt Schaub would do anything but get hurt and play 5 or 6 games every season, so look what THAT got me: Pwned.

But you didn't even post in this thread until about 13 hours ago. Isn't that like a fan of another team coming in and running smack even though they never posted before a big win?

TEXANS84
01-18-2010, 11:29 AM
Wow....this thread is all about eating crow.

Some funny stuff when you go back and read all the posts.

Goatcheese
01-18-2010, 02:38 PM
But you didn't even post in this thread until about 13 hours ago. Isn't that like a fan of another team coming in and running smack even though they never posted before a big win?

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

"Citizenship in a Republic,"
Speech at the Sorbonne, Paris, April 23, 1910

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

Silver Oak
01-18-2010, 02:50 PM

swing....and a miss!

sorry Vinny.

GP
01-18-2010, 03:46 PM

I posted on other pre-draft threads and/or topics, but I never got into the debate about Cushing because I didn't watch any USC games. And still don't.

So rather than get on the thread and act like I knew something about Brian Cushing, I probably scanned the posts and moved along.

Is that OK? Are you going to make fun of me when I die? Because I couldn't handle that, ya' know. j/k

Anywho, it's fun to see some people who rag me and say I have zero brains about football. And then see them banish Brian Cushing to something like round 3 or something. It's chicken soup for the soul.

b0ng
01-18-2010, 04:05 PM
I posted on other pre-draft threads and/or topics, but I never got into the debate about Cushing because I didn't watch any USC games. And still don't.

So rather than get on the thread and act like I knew something about Brian Cushing, I probably scanned the posts and moved along.

Is that OK? Are you going to make fun of me when I die? Because I couldn't handle that, ya' know. j/k

Anywho, it's fun to see some people who rag me and say I have zero brains about football. And then see them banish Brian Cushing to something like round 3 or something. It's chicken soup for the soul.

Hey I'm only bringing it up because I see a CHINK IN THE ARMOR MWAHAHAA. Besides, if you died, I would seriously only make quality jokes at your expense, promise :boogereater:

Texecutioner
01-18-2010, 04:07 PM
if you died, I would seriously only make quality jokes at your expense, promise :boogereater:

You should be really proud then. :rolleyes:

b0ng
01-18-2010, 05:33 PM
You should be really proud then. :rolleyes:

http://drunkenachura.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/internet-serious-business.jpg

YoungTexanFan
01-18-2010, 05:35 PM
Ha ha! I was on the Taylor Mays band wagon as well. Lol!

I don't think anyone can feel bad for that though as good as he looked last season. A lot of us would have been wrong there to. But sometimes you just can't tell.

No, I was saying I wasn't on the Mays bandwagon.

Also, I did not think Matthews would have half the season he had as a rookie. I was fairly anti-Matthews. Good year.

Goatcheese
01-18-2010, 06:36 PM
No, I was saying I wasn't on the Mays bandwagon.

Also, I did not think Matthews would have half the season he had as a rookie. I was fairly anti-Matthews. Good year.

I didn't want Mathews in a 4-3, but I knew he would be a good player in a 3-4. He wouldn't have been any better against the run than he showed in GB, and wouldn't have gotten 1/3 as many rush opportunities in our scheme.

bah007
01-18-2010, 06:54 PM
I'm not a big fan of going back through these threads and ridiculing other posters for their opinions. If y'all want to do that then that's fine though. Y'all won't find any ammo on me though. It's just a good thing I've never been wrong before. :spy:

Vinny
01-18-2010, 07:21 PM
it happens. I've never met a fan or media guy who gave lots of opinion and was always right.

Texecutioner
01-18-2010, 07:24 PM
I didn't want Mathews in a 4-3, but I knew he would be a good player in a 3-4. He wouldn't have been any better against the run than he showed in GB, and wouldn't have gotten 1/3 as many rush opportunities in our scheme.

I think that's a good point. He may not have been near as good in a 4-3. In a 3-4 blitzing LB's tend to look a lot better if they have speed off of the edge. I didn't want Mathews or Cushing really, so I was wrong on both. Lol! I wanted Meleauga more than any of them. He's a beast as well, but I think we got the best guy in Cushing. If Cushing was in a 3-4, I think Cushing could have easily gotten 10 sacks possibly. That's what is so great about Cushing. He can be in any kind of system and thrive.

Thorn
01-18-2010, 11:07 PM

"Rep" doesn't give you the ability to predict the future. Every year BBS posters, sports writers, TV analysts all make their predictions and most are wrong. The off season is full of those trying to predict the future, so it's highly unlikely anyone will stop even if they keep getting it wrong.

It's the only thing we have to do anyway, besides watching reruns on NFLN. LOL

Vinny
01-19-2010, 12:27 AM
I actually warmed up to the pick and wasn't critical of it at all once this thing went down. Anyone can look up posts right after the draft but its a waste of time. I wanted Rey but I'm glad Cushing was as advertised.

Texecutioner
01-19-2010, 12:34 AM
I actually warmed up to the pick and wasn't critical of it at all once this thing went down. Anyone can look up posts right after the draft but its a waste of time. I wanted Rey but I'm glad Cushing was as advertised.

I was the same way. Once we got closer to the draft I knew we were taking Cushing if he was available and if he wasn't, I knew we'd be after Mathews. I was fine with it at that point even though that wasn't my first choice. But it doesn't matter now. We did what we did and I'm happy any way.

Ole Miss Texan
01-19-2010, 09:54 AM
Going back, there's quite a few players I still would want with our 1st rounder but I think we're all in agreement none would have made the impact of Brian Cushing. The Texans really hit a homerun with this one.

My two worries were Cushing's injury history and the possibility of him only being a 2 down player. I got real worried when he missed training camp because of injury and wondered if that was going to be a sign. He did get injured quite a bit throughout the year but he is one tough SOB and never missed time because of it. He just has to say on the field going forward too. The other worry I had was using a mid 1st round pick on a linebacker that would be coming off the field in passing situations. This is the part I really underestimated him... the guy made more plays against the pass than our secondary! I love Cushing's attitude, work ethic and tenacity.

HOU-TEX
01-19-2010, 10:23 AM

It was unfortunate that Rey was injured. I think the dude's going to be pretty darn good in the league. Nice value for a 2nd rounder.

b0ng
01-19-2010, 10:30 AM
It was unfortunate that Rey was injured. I think the dude's going to be pretty darn good in the league. Nice value for a 2nd rounder.

Would you say it's a Demeco-esque value?

BigBull17
01-19-2010, 10:33 AM

I got killed cause I said Mayes was VERY over-rated. Then again, I also said last years draft was only ok because we "wasted" our first round pick on Cushing.

HOU-TEX
01-19-2010, 10:55 AM
Would you say it's a Demeco-esque value?

Not quite. He might've been if he had remained heathy. Plus, D-Ryans beasted his rookie year.

b0ng
01-19-2010, 10:58 AM
I got killed cause I said Mayes was VERY over-rated. Then again, I also said last years draft was only ok because we "wasted" our first round pick on Cushing.

Hey I'm with you on the overrated part for Mays. We'll be idiots together if turns out to be Polomalu 2.0 :)

BigBull17
01-19-2010, 11:18 AM
Hey I'm with you on the overrated part for Mays. We'll be idiots together if turns out to be Polomalu 2.0 :)

Word. I thought he was over-rated last year when people were blowing him in the streets of California cause he was the next great saftey. He lost alot of money going back to school, me thinks. He is a low instinct Strong Saftey. I think he'll be a decent player as long as a team realizes he isn't a coverage guy or a ball hawk.

mussop
01-21-2010, 03:28 AM

Make it a threesome. I think he is the 5th best S in the draft.
Berry
Thomas
Chad Jones (everything Mays is supposed to be minus the super speed)
Nate Allen
Mays

I dont know anyone that ever even considered Cushing to be a good as he has. I am happy I was wrong bout him in particular but both of my top 2 choices Oher and Mathews for round one turned out pretty well. :barman:

dalemurphy
01-21-2010, 10:34 AM
Make it a threesome. I think he is the 5th best S in the draft.
Berry
Thomas
Chad Jones (everything Mays is supposed to be minus the super speed)
Nate Allen
Mays

I dont know anyone that ever even considered Cushing to be a good as he has. I am happy I was wrong bout him in particular but both of my top 2 choices Oher and Mathews for round one turned out pretty well. :barman:

Mussop,

You wanted Oher? That's interesting. What was your plan for the rest of the oline? Did you want Oher for RT and then slide in Winston, or did you want Oher at LT with Brown moving to RT and Winston inside... or, just sliding Brown to guard?

mussop
01-21-2010, 02:44 PM
Mussop,

You wanted Oher? That's interesting. What was your plan for the rest of the oline? Did you want Oher for RT and then slide in Winston, or did you want Oher at LT with Brown moving to RT and Winston inside... or, just sliding Brown to guard?

I didnt actually target Oher, he was the highest rated player on my board when it became our pick. Mathews was next and was my targeted player but ws already gone.

As far as my plan, let the chips fall where they may. I want the five best most talented OL on the field. If I were to guess Oher would of started at RG for us. In the second round I had Unger slated as our pick. How good would our offense of looked with a starting line of Brown, ????, Unger, Oher, Winston this year?

TexansFanatic
01-24-2010, 09:04 PM
LOL I had to stop reading halfway through. Too bad Cush just wasn't good enough for a mid first round pick.

Wow. Thanks for reviving this thread. LOL!

I couldn't have been more wrong about the guy and I couldn't be happier about it.

If all our players could be as intense as Cushing there would be no stopping this team.

threetoedpete
01-28-2010, 12:25 AM
Haven't heard from TTP in a while.

Hope he's OK.

If anybody knows how to get in touch with him by e-mail or whatever let me know.

He was great to talk draft stuff with.

BTW I got both Cushing and Barwin right as our 1st two picks last year.

Thanks for the rep Senor Stan

Still around. I'm not strutting yet. He played hurt all year. But you got to admit getting your toe in the all pro second team is pretty impressive. What I'm more impressed with is the two young corners we picked up, Grover Quinn & Brice McCain.

and if you read all of my posts I was pretty much a Clay Mathews fan at the end. Anyone who put speed on the edges of the defense I was on board.

steelbtexan
01-28-2010, 07:19 AM
Glad to see you back.

Draft season is just starting to heat up.

McCain as a 6th rd pick impressed me. I look for him to be much improved next season. Molden is my sleeper for most improved Texan next year.

What did you think of the Texans seaon last year?

The job the coacing staf did?

threetoedpete
01-28-2010, 03:56 PM
Glad to see you back.

Draft season is just starting to heat up.

McCain as a 6th rd pick impressed me. I look for him to be much improved next season. Molden is my sleeper for most improved Texan next year.

What did you think of the Texans seaon last year?

The job the coaching staf did?

I think we desperately need a guard with girth next to Myers. What I was excited about last April with the two DBs they gave us a couple of players who could run with anyone's Gunners in the league on the punt return team. Which meant that Jacoby Jones would always have a half step and a chance to break one. However, they turned into much more than just special teams guys/back ups...they both can play. Our scouts and staff are butta. They are currnetly on a drafting roll.

GP
01-28-2010, 09:42 PM
Still around. I'm not strutting yet. He played hurt all year. But you got to admit getting your toe in the all pro second team is pretty impressive. What I'm more impressed with is the two young corners we picked up, Grover Quinn & Brice McCain.

and if you read all of my posts I was pretty much a Clay Mathews fan at the end. Anyone who put speed on the edges of the defense I was on board.

Hey!

Just now came back to this thread, and it's good to see you back.

Clay Mathews was an iffy prospect to me, just because I wondered if he was getting the star treatment due to his family heritage.

I caught only a few plays of Packers games this year, and each time I watched those plays...he was making big plays and huge effort each time. I think he's the real deal. I think their LB squad is going to be off-the-charts in about 2 or 3 years.

beerlover
01-28-2010, 09:53 PM
this years --- DO NOT WANT (well really like him alot, would be a 2nd rd. steal) http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1125985 is Daryl Washington, TCU. Another LB in 1st (19/20)? could equal Cushing's impact? could be the complete weakside LB in Texans 4-3, a tackling machine, elite coverage & sideline to sideline speed. Would give the Texans, unquestioned the best group of LB's in the NFL, but still would like to see OL/CB/RB addressed first, that doesn't make me wrong, it makes me real apprehensive :headhurts:

TexansFanatic
05-07-2010, 11:16 PM
Now seems like an appropriate time to revive this thread....

ChampionTexan
05-08-2010, 01:50 AM

Wow. Thanks for reviving this thread. LOL!

I couldn't have been more wrong about the guy and I couldn't be happier about it.

If all our players could be as intense as Cushing there would be no stopping this team.

You sure? ;)

eriadoc
05-08-2010, 02:08 AM

...Manufactured athlete who should test well but isn't that impressive on film and often looks like a defensive end in a linebacker's body...

I've been interested in Cushing for a while. The steroid allegations don't really concern me too much. I think they've been blown out of proportion and if he used steroids the last few years while at USC, I feel strongly he would have been busted.

Cush is a beast but I don't like all the 'roaids rumors

Just a few of my favorite posts from Page 1 of the thread.

Ryan
05-08-2010, 02:44 AM
I still want Cushing. He's still going to be a badass, no doubt in my mind.

treduke
05-08-2010, 02:53 AM
http://yepyep.gibbs12.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/cushing_steroids.jpg

GuerillaBlack
05-08-2010, 05:18 AM

Overreaction...

beerlover
05-08-2010, 07:12 AM
this years --- DO NOT WANT (well really like him alot, would be a 2nd rd. steal) http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1125985 is Daryl Washington, TCU. Another LB in 1st (19/20)? could equal Cushing's impact? could be the complete weakside LB in Texans 4-3, a tackling machine, elite coverage & sideline to sideline speed. Would give the Texans, unquestioned the best group of LB's in the NFL, but still would like to see OL/CB/RB addressed first, that doesn't make me wrong, it makes me real apprehensive :headhurts:

well the Texans went CB #1 & RB #2. biggest free agent signing was OL (Wade).

funny thing, I'm not one to call into 610 but did so prior to last season in the John McClain hour to ask him if he saw the similarties between Cushing & Bill Romanowskie. my point was going to be focused on how dedicated to their craft both where/are, pushing envelopes & risks to become great football players (steroids never the aim). McClain just went off & jumped all over the steriod accusations pre-draft as primary comparision, which seems ironic today.

personally after getting to know Brian, I truely believe they got him on some kind of technicality. Doubt Brian ever intended to cheat or take shortcuts, not to mention mislead anyone. His innocence will be vindicated, if need be in a court of law. there is something inherently wrong with punishing someone for trying their best to improve get a similar suspension as a repeat sexual preditor, allegedly.

Texans fans to stand behind Brian in his time of need :ant:

steelbtexan
05-08-2010, 11:27 AM
well the Texans went CB #1 & RB #2. biggest free agent signing was OL (Wade).

funny thing, I'm not one to call into 610 but did so prior to last season in the John McClain hour to ask him if he saw the similarties between Cushing & Bill Romanowskie. my point was going to be focused on how dedicated to their craft both where/are, pushing envelopes & risks to become great football players (steroids never the aim). McClain just went off & jumped all over the steriod accusations pre-draft as primary comparision, which seems ironic today.

personally after getting to know Brian, I truely believe they got him on some kind of technicality. Doubt Brian ever intended to cheat or take shortcuts, not to mention mislead anyone. His innocence will be vindicated, if need be in a court of law. there is something inherently wrong with punishing someone for trying their best to improve get a similar suspension as a repeat sexual preditor, allegedly.

Agreed

I will take 11 guys on my defense with Cushings intensity.

I love the way he plays. He's a great player and a Houston Texan. I stand behind him. Steroids or not you have to admire his work ethic and the way he eats and sleeps football.

There are a few on the Texans defense that could learn from Cushings work ethic. Can you here me AO/MW.

TexansFanatic
05-08-2010, 01:52 PM
You sure? ;)

I don't know what to believe any more. I've been wrong so many times, my neck is sore from bowing my head in shame.

All I know for sure is the Texans defense will be missing one of its strongest pieces during the most important first quarter of a season in franchise history.

:headhurts:

HJam72
05-08-2010, 04:12 PM
Oh, please. Almost every game is "the most important in franchise history." I hope it doesn't still feel that way in 10 years.

TexansFanatic
05-08-2010, 04:26 PM
Oh, please. Almost every game is "the most important in franchise history." I hope it doesn't still feel that way in 10 years.

It will if our first Super Bowl is not for ten more years.

The Pencil Neck
05-08-2010, 05:14 PM
I'm still on board with the Cushing pick.

ATXtexanfan
05-08-2010, 06:20 PM

same here, just gotta wait a few weeks till i pimp that jersey

thunderkyss
05-09-2010, 11:14 AM

The more I think about it, the more I doubt the steroids accusation. Surely Matthews would have known, and we would have known. I can't believe we would have drafted him, had we known.

Yankee_In_TX
05-09-2010, 01:15 PM
People on here seem to be implying Cush has been doing roids since his freshman year.

Call me a homer, but I think if that was true, he would have been caught a long time ago and/or Smithiak would have known.

Whatever he got busted for it was boneheaded (even if legal) and I hope lesson learned.

We should worry more about the first 4 than tearing Cush apart.

Texecutioner
05-09-2010, 06:43 PM

This is ridiculous. First off comparing Cushing to Big Ben is just crazy. Two completely different types of infractions that aren't comparable in any way. Big Ben has never even been charged for a crime either. Cushing tested positive for a banned substance period. He cheated. If this was some guy who played for the Titans or the Cowboys you and people who are making excuses for the guy would be bashing the guy relentlessly. Cushing's been rumored to be a steroid abuser going all the way back to his HS days and then in college. It's very clear now that he's dabbled into steroids probably for a long time. He has right now at least and that can't be debated at this point. Not by anyone that isn't delusional or rationale any way. He took banned substances and now he's suspended just like he should be. I won't make any excuses for Cushing on this one regardless of how much I love the guy as a player.

All of that being said, I still love the guy and love the pick and I'm still glad he's a Texan. Hopefully he can move past this and still be a great player for a very long time and I think he will.

beerlover
05-09-2010, 06:54 PM
This is ridiculous. First off comparing Cushing to Big Ben is just crazy. Two completely different types of infractions that aren't comparable in any way. Big Ben has never even been charged for a crime either. Cushing tested positive for a banned substance period. He cheated. If this was some guy who played for the Titans or the Cowboys you and people who are making excuses for the guy would be bashing the guy relentlessly. Cushing's been rumored to be a steroid abuser going all the way back to his HS days and then in college. It's very clear now that he's dabbled into steroids probably for a long time. He has right now at least and that can't be debated at this point. Not by anyone that isn't delusional or rationale any way. He took banned substances and now he's suspended just like he should be. I won't make any excuses for Cushing on this one regardless of how much I love the guy as a player.

All of that being said, I still love the guy and love the pick and I'm still glad he's a Texan. Hopefully he can move past this and still be a great player for a very long time and I think he will.

comparison is about misplaced agenda being used by NFL board of directors, punishment does not fit the crime(s), IMO.

Texecutioner
05-09-2010, 06:58 PM
comparison is about misplaced agenda being used by NFL board of directors, punishment does not fit the crime(s), IMO.

He took a banned substance, therefore his suspension it totally deserved. Him wearing a Texans logo doesn't change that. He deserves to be suspended.

beerlover
05-09-2010, 08:15 PM
I hope you have to eat your words :chef:

He took a banned substance, therefore his suspension it totally deserved. Him wearing a Texans logo doesn't change that. He deserves to be suspended.

barrett
05-10-2010, 12:49 AM

just wanted to point out a few holes in your exact science. I love statements like "very clear now that he's dabbled... probably"carry on.

Texecutioner
05-10-2010, 02:06 AM
just wanted to point out a few holes in your exact science. I love statements like carry on.

I'm not sure where you've been the last few years when Cushing was in college and before he was drafted, but the speculation wasn't some dark secret. He's failed a test now and is facing a suspension. I don't know what else you need to see or hear to understand what's going on. Hopefully when he comes back he'll be the same player.

IDEXAN
05-10-2010, 08:18 AM
Hopefully when he comes back he'll be the same player.

Logic tells us we just can't expect the same player, because that's why he juices in the first place, to elevate his game and/or ability to cope with injury and stay on the field, right ? I'm expecting Cushings performance to regress because we're going to get a player who's only a shell of the player we saw in his rookie year.

HoustonFrog
05-10-2010, 09:36 AM
I hope you have to eat your words :chef:

What words would he have to eat?He took a banned substance. He was suspended by the league. His appeal failed. Just because he is a Texan doesn't mean he is the one out of...ever...that is wrongly accused. We don't know the substance but it happened. Tex and I have butted heads about alot of stuff but he right in this case. If this was another team there would be no sympathy. Because it is here there must be a mix up.

I also don't know if the guy juiced in high school or college but predraft there was alot of articles about it and alot of side by side pics. The rumors have dogged him since high school. I hope the teams due diligence wasn't just asking him..."did you do steroids?" You need to dig if you are going to draft a guy.

infantrycak
05-10-2010, 09:45 AM
If this was another team there would be ny sympathy.

Don't agree. For instance I think the StarCaps folks have been jobbed.

HoustonFrog
05-10-2010, 09:55 AM

???....I want to also point out that guys on appeal have won but, again, in this case, it didn't happen.Sorry Cak, wasn't sure what you meant here.

JB
05-10-2010, 09:55 AM

The manufacturers or the Athletes?

Blake
05-10-2010, 10:46 AM

Wow you are a piece of work. Pulling this thread from the grave so you can feel better about yourself from over a year ago.

But let me guess, you loved having Cushing on your team this year.

infantrycak
05-10-2010, 10:53 AM
???....I want to also point out that guys on appeal have won but, again, in this case, it didn't happen.Sorry Cak, wasn't sure what you meant here.

The manufacturers or the Athletes?

The athletes. They took a diuretic which isn't a PED and the manufacturer without including it on the label included something banned by the NFL.

HF - they have had some success but now are still going to have to serve 4 game suspensions. My point was they are on other teams and I have sympathy for them.

HoustonFrog
05-10-2010, 11:22 AM
The athletes. They took a diuretic which isn't a PED and the manufacturer without including it on the label included something banned by the NFL.

HF - they have had some success but now are still going to have to serve 4 game suspensions. My point was they are on other teams and I have sympathy for them.

Didn't know this. Thanks for the info. My overall point was that a Cowboy or Titan or Colt for th emost part would get a reaction like they were cheaters or it was par for the course. I'm just one of those guys that, besides your example, would constantly run whatever I was taking through the league if it was my job. Just to get a heads up or OK. These guys should know what they are taking

Texecutioner
05-10-2010, 11:39 AM
What words would he have to eat?He took a banned substance. He was suspended by the league. His appeal failed. Just because he is a Texan doesn't mean he is the one out of...ever...that is wrongly accused. We don't know the substance but it happened. Tex and I have butted heads about alot of stuff but he right in this case. If this was another team there would be no sympathy. Because it is here there must be a mix up.

I also don't know if the guy juiced in high school or college but predraft there was alot of articles about it and alot of side by side pics. The rumors have dogged him since high school. I hope the teams due diligence wasn't just asking him..."did you do steroids?" You need to dig if you are going to draft a guy.

I don't know if some people just choose to ignore the history or the questions that surrounded Cushing for years or if this is just a typical instance where he's a Texan so certain homers won't believe it's possible. He clearly failed a test though and lost his appeal, so it's over at this point and what's done is done. I still love the guy, but I won't sit here and make excuses for the guy for taking banned substances.

Personally I still think he'll be a pretty good player though. His instincts all over the field were fantastic last season and he really had a nack for swarming the ball once it got in the air. I just worry more about him being able to shed blocks as easy and having the same type of explosiveness upon impact. Hopefully some of the MMA stuff he's been learning will at least help him with certain techniques on shedding blockers. I think he talked about that in an interview a few weeks back regarding some of his new training.

beerlover
05-10-2010, 11:42 AM
I became a Brian Cushing fan just as soon as the Texans drafted him. per this dated thread proof is in the evidence presented for your reading pleasure. Thinking this is simply a case of homerism is wrong, like racial/ethnic profiling. It is selective because as a fan of Cushing/Texans I'm all in to support his back, but knowing as much as we do now about Brian, his character & work ethic its logical there has to be something more to this, that's it. I'm not going to continue to speculate until more facts are forthcoming, this is fast becoming a topic that will be addressed & dealt with by lawyer's.

My concern is now for Brian to restore his good name & seek just vindication all you that exclaim moral righteousness from high in the heavens need to come down to earth & eat your own dose of reality, at least one can hope :pop:

HoustonFrog
05-10-2010, 12:26 PM
I became a Brian Cushing fan just as soon as the Texans drafted him. per this dated thread proof is in the evidence presented for your reading pleasure. Thinking this is simply a case of homerism is wrong, like racial/ethnic profiling. It is selective because as a fan of Cushing/Texans I'm all in to support his back, but knowing as much as we do now about Brian, his character & work ethic its logical there has to be something more to this, that's it. I'm not going to continue to speculate until more facts are forthcoming, this is fast becoming a topic that will be addressed & dealt with by lawyer's.

My concern is now for Brian to restore his good name & seek just vindication all you that exclaim moral righteousness from high in the heavens need to come down to earth & eat your own dose of reality, at least one can hope :pop:

There is no righteousness. It is called reality in the NFL. They have a list of products that are banned. They do tests. If the tests are done correctly and there is a positive test, the player gets dinged. They then choose to appeal the ban or the testing. He chose testing..they have reps that help them. This was denied. So he went through the process and it didn't work. The fact that he came forward and said it was "non-steroidal"(which they all say) is basically him saying he was dinged for at least something. There is no getting around it for the most part.

NitroGSXR
05-10-2010, 12:33 PM

I also think that the players are well-protected overall. They have an extremely powerful player's union and also they have loads of legal money at their disposal. At least a heck of a lot more than the average American. I don't hear of too many frivilous lawsuits against the NFL. The Williams duo have a strong case. Does Cushing? I'd think we'd know by now.

This whole Cushing thing reminds me of Mark McGwire and his association with banned substances. He tried to get cute and circumvent the rules with the whole legality approach. It's probably best for Cushing to be as vague as possible right now as McGwire should have been.

IDEXAN
05-10-2010, 12:50 PM
There is no righteousness. It is called reality in the NFL. They have a list of products that are banned. They do tests. If the tests are done correctly and there is a positive test, the player gets dinged. They then choose to appeal the ban or the testing. He chose testing..they have reps that help them. This was denied. So he went through the process and it didn't work. The fact that he came forward and said it was "non-steroidal"(which they all say) is basically him saying he was dinged for at least something. There is no getting around it for the most part.

Absolutely - Cushing got caught dirty. End of story.
And his refrain of it's "non-steroidal" sounds uncomfortably similar to another statement by another X-USC player named Reggie Bush of "I did nothing wrong", when asked about a different sort of problem.
I had thought for awhile that Cushing had changed my mind about these guys coming out of USC, but not so much right now.

TheCD
05-10-2010, 03:53 PM
I don't know if some people just choose to ignore the history or the questions that surrounded Cushing for years or if this is just a typical instance where he's a Texan so certain homers won't believe it's possible. He clearly failed a test though and lost his appeal, so it's over at this point and what's done is done. I still love the guy, but I won't sit here and make excuses for the guy for taking banned substances.

I'm not advocating what he did in the least, but I think some people are just "wait-and-see" while others are "judge-him-now" kinds of people. He tested positive for something that he knew was banned (or at least has yet to deny that he knew what he was taking) and he should be suspended for it. I'm not too familiar with the substance abuse policy, but other than steroids/masking agents, what else is banned? I noticed that certain ephedrines are banned, which seems ridiculous.

I've never really known how to feel about steroids. It makes me uncomfortable that people do it...but there's always been a "meh" feeling to it as well.

That being said Brian is a doofus for testing positive for something after having these allegations following him well before his NFL days. On top of that...he still has not said (at least yet) that he didn't know he was taking something that wasn't legal. Hopefully DeMeco will *****-slap him into tomorrow for being an *****.

IDEXAN
05-10-2010, 04:07 PM
Schiefner on ESPN is now reporting that Cushing was so confidant about his
argument on this thing that he took a lie detector test which he passed.
Rumors are the issue involved a "blood thinner" ?

The Pencil Neck
05-10-2010, 04:15 PM
I noticed that certain ephedrines are banned, which seems ridiculous.

Ephedrine/pseudoephedrine/ma huang enhances performance. Although Ephedrine is most known for being used along with Caffeine and Aspirin in the world famous ECA stack which is used to boost metabolism and get your body burning fat, Ephedrine (taken in sufficient amounts) amps you up and it's been shown that you can squeeze out more reps or more weight in the weight room when using Ephedrine.

I haven't seen any similar studies for pseudo-ephedrine but it is used to create meth.

That being said Brian is a doofus for testing positive for something after having these allegations following him well before his NFL days. On top of that...he still has not said (at least yet) that he didn't know he was taking something that wasn't legal. Hopefully DeMeco will *****-slap him into tomorrow for being an *****.

From everything I've heard, he thought he had a valid argument for why he shouldn't be suspended and he really expected to be exonerated. To the point that he told Glazer/Couture that he was definitely going to be cleared.

Hopefully, he's learned his lesson.

The Pencil Neck
05-10-2010, 04:16 PM

Whoa. I hadn't heard that. That's interesting.

Texecutioner
05-10-2010, 04:19 PM
From everything I've heard, he thought he had a valid argument for why he shouldn't be suspended and he really expected to be exonerated. To the point that he told Glazer/Couture that he was definitely going to be cleared.

Hopefully, he's learned his lesson.

Just about all of these guys that appeal swear that they should be cleared and exonerated. It sounds like the same line I've heard from several other guys already.

I'm just ready for this issue to die down at this point so Cushing and the Texans can both move on and go back to business as usual. Cushing won me over last season regardless of what the hell he took. I think he'll still be a great player most likely.

HOU-TEX
05-10-2010, 04:25 PM

Whoa. I hadn't heard that. That's interesting.

Here's what Schefter said via Twitter:

Brian Cushing took and passed a lie-detector test to prove he was not guilty of taking a PED. Yet his four-game suspension still stands.
http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter

Don't know where the "blood thinner" rumor came from, yet

thunderkyss
05-10-2010, 11:06 PM
I'm not advocating what he did in the least, but I think some people are just "wait-and-see" while others are "judge-him-now" kinds of people. He tested positive for something that he knew was banned (or at least has yet to deny that he knew what he was taking) and he should be suspended for it.

This is what McNair said (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8180cb8d&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true)
"Brian, what he has said, is he's been taking the same supplements ... for the last 10 or 15 years and he's been checked umpteen times and it hadn't shown up to be any kind of problem," McNair said. "So what happened, I don't know. He doesn't know at this point in time.

"The fact (is) that he didn't think he would get the suspension, but that's the way it is at this point in time, and we accept it and we need to move on."

So what are the chances, that the tests he passed for the last 15 years weren't as critical as the test administered by the NFL?

What if he was taking something that could give a false positive. He was told before, "hey, you'll test positive if you take that stuff" But in the past, he never tested positive, so figured it was just urban legend. LIke Andro... can you really test positive by taking androstenedione??

I've never seen the list of banned substance, I'm not saying Cushing took androstenedione. I'm saying would it be possible, that he took something that is not on the banned-substance list, but would trigger a positive test result for something that is on the banned substance list.

wagonhed
05-10-2010, 11:34 PM
This is what McNair said (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8180cb8d&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true)

So what are the chances, that the tests he passed for the last 15 years weren't as critical as the test administered by the NFL?

What if he was taking something that could give a false positive. He was told before, "hey, you'll test positive if you take that stuff" But in the past, he never tested positive, so figured it was just urban legend. LIke Andro... can you really test positive by taking androstenedione??

I've never seen the list of banned substance, I'm not saying Cushing took androstenedione. I'm saying would it be possible, that he took something that is not on the banned-substance list, but would trigger a positive test result for something that is on the banned substance list.
Yes, that is very possible. I posted this in another thread already, but the bottom of the actual lists of banned substance in the official NFL handbook says "and related substances". In other words, if you test for anything that they think is sort of like what's on the list, whether or not it is actually on the list, that can count as failing the test.

And yes, it is also possible for certain derivative compounds to cause false positives for other tests. The tests they do in labs are not literally molecular analysis. They don't examine the compound that caused the positive and say oh yeah that's definitely compound X because it has an OH2 group on the 8th carbon. The tests are imprecise and can catch things that just happen to bind to the same compounds as another drug, etc. Now I'm not saying this is what happened, but it is definitely possible.

GuerillaBlack
05-11-2010, 12:18 AM
Which is probably why Cushing feels like he is so innocent. He needs to come out and say what he took tomorrow. The waiting game needs to end.

The Pencil Neck
05-11-2010, 02:45 AM

Once, a long time ago, I had a talk with a guy that owned a supplement company. And according to him, many supplement companies use the same machine to "pill" different compounds. And if the machine isn't thoroughly cleaned, trace amounts of "banned" compounds can find their way into pills that are supposed to be clean.

It's entirely possible for you to take something that's totally cool with your federation and get a positive because it has been tainted with androstenediol or androstenedione. BUT, the andros totally mess with your test/epitest ratio so that it looks like you've been taking real steroids.

At least, that's what he told me.

BigTimeTexanFan
05-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Yes, that is very possible. I posted this in another thread already, but the bottom of the actual lists of banned substance in the official NFL handbook says "and related substances". In other words, if you test for anything that they think is sort of like what's on the list, whether or not it is actually on the list, that can count as failing the test.

And yes, it is also possible for certain derivative compounds to cause false positives for other tests. The tests they do in labs are not literally molecular analysis. They don't examine the compound that caused the positive and say oh yeah that's definitely compound X because it has an OH2 group on the 8th carbon. The tests are imprecise and can catch things that just happen to bind to the same compounds as another drug, etc. Now I'm not saying this is what happened, but it is definitely possible.

I looked at the NFL's banned substsance list and it does say "and related substances". That leaves room for interpretation and subjectivity. With more info coming out, I'm starting to see why Cush was so sure he would win his appeal, however, didn't. It's going to be interesting to see what else comes out.

TexansFanatic
05-14-2010, 11:39 PM
Wow you are a piece of work. Pulling this thread from the grave so you can feel better about yourself from over a year ago.

You're good, Doctor. Geez, thanks for working that out for me. I feel so much better. How much do I owe you?

Napa Auto Parts
05-15-2010, 02:18 AM

I agree with you totally and i have a source that tells me he uses Steroids.

threetoedpete
05-28-2010, 01:07 PM

Yeah me too. He proved he is more than a two down linebacker. And he proved he could run with anyone he had to cover. With the pick up of Pollard, they had a "real" NFL defense. What will be interesting is how quick OC's go after Pollard now without Cushing on the field. The other thing is replacing Cushing's speed on the field. Kubiak swears he isn't moving Diles because "he has an excellent chance at being a top NFL Will. " Note to Kubes....you better do what you gotta do to not end up 1-3, 0-4 out of the gate. And if that means moving Zac for four games, you move the lad. I promise his growth will not be stunted.
The other thing I read into his reaction about moving Zac Diles into the SAM, is Adibi sucks so bad they can not make the switch. They better find some speed for the edges by the first game is all I know.

If Cushing starts shrinking, we'll know the truth of it. Uncle Bob believes him. That's all that matters. God bless me, I believe him also.

threetoedpete
05-28-2010, 01:16 PM
I agree with you totally and i have a source that tells me he uses Steroids.

Name him .

thunderkyss
05-28-2010, 09:51 PM
Note to Kubes....you better do what you gotta do to not end up 1-3, 0-4 out of the gate. And if that means moving Zac for four games, you move the lad. I promise his growth will not be stunted.

The other thing I read into his reaction about moving Zac Diles into the SAM, is Adibi sucks so bad they can not make the switch. They better find some speed for the edges by the first game is all I know.

I'm pretty sure Kubiak knows what he is doing. I remember having these same discussions in the Caper years, about our OL. One guy gets injured, and we start playing musical chairs. Instead of being weak at one spot, we end up being weak at two.

Same kind of thing here. Start Danny Clark at SAM... we are weaker at SAM, that we would be if 56 was in the game. If you want to start Adibi at the WILL, now we are weak in two spots.

False Start
05-30-2010, 08:41 PM
Everyone flucks up. He did, got busted, and is paying the price for it. That still doesn't change my opinion of him as a player. The guys a bad ass, and come the game vs. the Giants he will once again prove hes the real deal. Go Cush! :fans:

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/cushlash.jpg

gary
05-30-2010, 10:33 PM
I just pray he continues to be the real deal without any help.

TEXANRED
05-31-2010, 11:28 PM
I just pray he continues to be the real deal without any help.

He tested positive in October. I am sure from that point going forward he was tested every other day. Which means that entire season was all him.

Go Cushing!

thunderkyss
06-01-2010, 12:09 AM
He tested positive in October. I am sure from that point going forward he was tested every other day. Which means that entire season was all him.

Go Cushing!

He tested positive for elevated hGC in September, he was notified in October.

He was tested several times through the year.

However, if he's been cycling for years, he'll have to continue, or his play will degenerate.

gary
06-01-2010, 09:52 PM
I am just hoping for the best for Cushing no matter what.

Brando
06-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Everyone flucks up. He did, got busted, and is paying the price for it. That still doesn't change my opinion of him as a player. The guys a bad ass, and come the game vs. the Giants he will once again prove hes the real deal. Go Cush! :fans:

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/cushlash.jpg

:fans:

Well said! We need his 'tude out there!