PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Smith

76Texan
03-09-2009, 06:17 PM
Early prognosis on Antonio Smith is not too good.

Week 2 vs. Dolphins.
Nothing statistically.
Next to nothing on the playing field as well.

The Cards was mostly in the 3-4, in which A.S. usually lines up in the A gap.
He was pretty much neutralized by the RG Smiley (?).

There were a couple of twist plays when he was able to work back to the outside and get close to Pennington.
But those were plays that took longer to develop, think 5 secs or more.
And there were other D-player(s) there before him to force the QB to get rid of the ball.
I only give him credit because he did show up in the radar.

The Cards didn't run hardly toward him anyhow.
But he wasn't all that fast in pursuit.

He did not get any penetration and was hardly ever able to push the pocket back.

In contrast, Weaver had a much better game against the Dolphins, both on paper and on the field.

The contingent of D-linemen that took turn on Smiley (or the A gap) had much better success.
There were times that Justin Smiley was able to clear room for the RBs, but he lost quite a few more battles than he won.

Whether in penetration, pursuing the ball, pushing back the pocket, working against the double team, shredding off the blocker to makle a tackle on the RB...
Zgonina, Weaver, Okoye, TJ, Cochran, one of them would.
Bulman was able to get into the act on a couple of stunts as well.

What have you done here, Rick Smith???

Of course, this is only one game, and an early game at that.
And obviously A.S. had better numbers as the season moved along.
We'll see what kind of progress he made.

alphajoker
03-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Uh...what?

m5kwatts
03-09-2009, 06:31 PM
How about flip on tape of the wild card, divisional, conference and super bowl games and you'll see #94 in red wreaking havoc on those playoff O-lines.

m5kwatts
03-09-2009, 06:35 PM
76Texan what tape are you watching? Just went through all of Antonio Smith's career game logs and he's never faced Miami before.

Ole Miss Texan
03-09-2009, 06:45 PM
Uh...what?
76Texan does an excellent job of watching tape of teams/prospects and conveying what he sees to the message board.
How about flip on tape of the wild card, divisional, conference and super bowl games and you'll see #94 in red wreaking havoc on those playoff O-lines.
Sometimes watching tapes of when a player is unsuccessful says just as much as when he is successful. It's good to get an all around feel for a player. Sounds like this game against Miami, he mostly played in a 3-4 scheme. If he consistently performs better in a 4-3 scheme... this would be a good thing as that's what we run.
76Texan what tape are you watching? Just went through all of Antonio Smith's career game logs and he's never faced Miami before.
Miami played at Arizona on September 14, 2008. Arizona won 31-10. Smith started but did not officially record any stats.

thunderkyss
03-09-2009, 06:52 PM

I agree. He might have a problem showing up, or maybe it's difficult to find a reason to play in Arizona. I mean week 2, who knew.

But his play as the year went on, especially the play-offs, shows that he's got the talent to succeed, and make a difference in this league, at a high level.

Getting him to do it every Sunday, that's what coaches are for.

76Texan
03-09-2009, 07:02 PM
Thanks T.O.M. - hey I got an acronym for ya' Texan Ole Miss! :)

As I said, it was only one game.
And for the record, Smith played about 3/4 of the snaps.
Weaver played may be 3/5 ???

I'll will try the Jets and Favre in week 4 next (hopefully tonight).

76Texan
03-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Preview: Favre 56 - Smith 35
Must be a fun game to watch.
A.S. recorded 4 solos.

wags
03-09-2009, 07:09 PM

Not to poop on the signing of Smith, but the last two playoff games(NFC title and Super bowl) he had 3 tackles and no sacks. Don't remember his play specifically, but that doesn't seem like the big time performance that's being pimped by some. Darnell Dockett wreaked havoc.

imatexan
03-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Uh...what?

Dont worry I thought the same thing at first.

Big Lou
03-09-2009, 10:58 PM

So maybe we can get the NFL to approve Battle Red for A. Smith for every game?

76Texan
03-09-2009, 11:12 PM
Bring out the whipping cane, thou who blasted Weaver, Okoye, TJ "incessantly"... and welcome A.S. into the fray!

It was 0-21 before Smith did anything of substance.
Started a fight out of frustration was what he did, or was it Laboy who started it, LOL!
At least, it seems to fire him up some.

Again, the Cards went almost strictly with the 3-4.
Except they moved A.S. around a bit more.
He would see the LT Ferguson as well, now that he sometimes lined up in the B gap.

Didn't do squat against Ferguson (just a couple of times.)
But did show some efforts early on to disengage from Mangold and Faneca to come back on two tackles: one for 4 yd gain, one for a 9 yd gain.

After the little scuffle (with Laboy, I believe), he lined up in the A gap on the other side and was able to push the pocket on the RG (Moore, I think) forcing an incomplete pass, limiting the Jets to a FG. 0-24

With 2 mins to go, Smith made a play for -1 yd on Washington on the strong side.
Too bad, the Jets went on to score. 0-31

It would be 0-34 at halftime, and the Cards were never in the game.

It's small consolation that Smith would make a play on T. Jones for another 1 yd loss, again, on the strong side.

Smith did show up (on the field) on a few more plays (perhaps 3 or 4).

But too often, he was taken out of the play.
I would be hard-pressed to give him a C for this game.
(Even without considering the score.)

In general, you have to win more battles than you lose to get a C.
He didn't. Most I can give him is a C-.
I'm sure a few fans could give him a D, arguably justifying the grade.

The only plus I see here is maybe if they would move him more to the strong side, or the RG Moore is just that bad???

Yikes!

kiwitexansfan
03-10-2009, 02:26 AM
I appreciate that your doing some hard work to analyse what Smith brings to the table, but in my admittedly limited experience, performances from one scheme and team to another don't necessarily translate very well.

Not knowing what his assignments were and what the opposition was precisely doing just complicates things further.

threetoedpete
03-10-2009, 04:17 AM
I was so tired of seeing Weaver getting hooked by the other teams tackles last year....I just quit talking about it. there was nothing they could do about it.

Antonio Smith has two things going for him....he's got Mario on the other side.... and he isn't Weaver. If they get four sacks out of him next year ...and some pressures, He'll be worth money.
The only pressure Weaver was getting was gas when he went to Taco Cabana.

Porky
03-10-2009, 09:31 AM
Miami played at Arizona on September 14, 2009. Arizona won 31-10. Smith started but did not officially record any stats.

Doc, go get the Delorean and let's go back to the future.

Kaiser Toro
03-10-2009, 09:36 AM

Leave me some room in the car so can I make sure we do not sign the guy.

HOU-TEX
03-10-2009, 10:09 AM
Isn't Smith a little light to be playing inside?

I'm still taking the wait and see approach. I'd like to see him play the position we brought him in to play before I begin criticizing the hire. :)

Polo
03-10-2009, 10:22 AM
If the Cardinals were mostly in the 3-4 then that explains his lack of penetration. D-lineman are not going to do a lot of penetrating in a 3-4.

infantrycak
03-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Isn't Smith a little light to be playing inside?

Yes--thankfully the Texans aren't planning on playing him inside.

If the Cardinals were mostly in the 3-4 then that explains his lack of penetration. D-lineman are not going to do a lot of penetrating in a 3-4.

Yup

Ole Miss Texan
03-10-2009, 10:36 AM

:spit: Haha, nice catch! It's finally taken me 3 months to get used to writing '09 instead of '08. The ONE friggin time I get to write '08, I mess it up!

HOU-TEX
03-10-2009, 10:39 AM
Yes--thankfully the Texans aren't planning on playing him inside.

Yup

I reckon that might be the reason the Cards D-Coordinator got whacked. I don't think they had the personel to run a 3-4.

FWIW, Docket's a freakin beast. Just thought I'd throw that in.

Ole Miss Texan
03-10-2009, 10:43 AM
Miami played at Arizona on September 14, 2009. Arizona won 31-10. Smith started but did not officially record any stats.
Leave me some room in the car so can I make sure we do not sign the guy.
http://www.awesomeavenue.biz/images/back-to-the-future-delorean-dmc12-time-machine-replica.jpg
You guys got room for a 3rd?

76Texan
03-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Antonio Smith 285 lbs
Tim Bulman 275
Cochran 287
Jeff Zgonina 281
Weaver 274
They all work the middle at times, whether on the Center or the Guard, or the gap.

The Dolphins guys aren't all that big either
Satele 300, Smiley 310
Neither are the Jets
Mangold 300, Faneca 307

It doesn't matter what scheme you play in.
When you're one on one you should be able to shed the blocker once in awhile to get to the runner, or get some penetration here and there.
How else do you get a sack or tackle for loss? :smiliedance:

At any rate, in the Falcons game, when Smith works the B gap, he was a little more succesful, getting some penetration and push back here and there.
He got that one safety (Ryans should have thrown that ball away), and helped in a couple of hurries. Guess that's why they want him outside.
Don't know how he runs the ark or what kind of moves he got.
I guess we will just have to wait and see. :foottap:

dalemurphy
03-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Antonio Smith 285 lbs
Tim Bulman 275
Cochran 287
Jeff Zgonina 281
Weaver 274
They all work the middle at times, whether on the Center or the Guard, or the gap.

The Dolphins guys aren't all that big either
Satele 300, Smiley 310
Neither are the Jets
Mangold 300, Faneca 307

When you're one on one you should be able to shed the blocker once in awhile to get to the runner, or get some penetration here and there.
How else do you get a sack or tackle for loss? :smiliedance:

At any rate, in the Falcons game, when Smith works the B gap, he was a little more succesful, getting some penetration and push back here and there.
He got that one safety (Ryans should have thrown that ball away), and helped in a couple of hurries. Guess that's why they want him outside.
Don't know how he runs the ark or what kind of moves he got.
I guess we will just have to wait and see. :foottap:

The best move he has on the edge is the Reggie White club... He actually does that with some success quite a bit. He threatens the edge and then clubs the tackle with his inside arm to push him off balance and to get inside him. What I see from Smith is a guy that can get into the backfield, keeps his head up and maintains his base and can make plays one on one. I wouldn't call him special but he looks like a very solid complimentary piece. He hits hard too. Counting the playoffs he forced 4 fumbles the past 2 years.

As much as I like Smith, though, we do still need a true edge rusher than can sub in and cut the corner hard 20 snaps a game. I hopeful that we end up with someone like Sidbury in the middle rounds.

76Texan
03-10-2009, 12:39 PM
An example of a great 3-4 DE is Shaun Ellis @ 285 lbs.
He averages almost 7 sacks a season over his 9 yr career.

In the same game (Jets/Cards), you can see two totally different players.

OK, so Ellis was a #12 selection, but at the end of 04, he got a contract extention that runs 6 yr for $33 mil.

Smith got what, 5 yr $35 mil ?

I don't count sacks. I want to see the overall play of the guy, whether he is capable of fulfilling his assignments to a certain degree. I didn't ask him to be all-Pro.

Sorry, but in those two games, I didn't see the efforts that I'd like to have seen.
Let's hope that the new contract gives him plenty of incentive to work.
(He did step it up in the Falcons play-off game, and that's what I want to witness on a consistent basis.) :)

Grams
03-10-2009, 12:44 PM
I think we should wait to complain about someone till we actually see how he plays for the Texans. What he did or did not do in Arizona and their play calling may have nothing to do with the Texans and their play calling.

Let's reserve judgement till we see if he makes the defense better or not.

76Texan
03-10-2009, 12:44 PM
The best move he has on the edge is the Reggie White club... He actually does that with some success quite a bit. He threatens the edge and then clubs the tackle with his inside arm to push him off balance and to get inside him. What I see from Smith is a guy that can get into the backfield, keeps his head up and maintains his base and can make plays one on one. I wouldn't call him special but he looks like a very solid complimentary piece. He hits hard too. Counting the playoffs he forced 4 fumbles the past 2 years.

As much as I like Smith, though, we do still need a true edge rusher than can sub in and cut the corner hard 20 snaps a game. I hopeful that we end up with someone like Sidbury in the middle rounds.That's good to hear. I haven't come to any conclusion on the guy yet, so it's not like I'm shooting him down. I only reported what I saw. What I hate the most is watching a player jogging pleasurely when there's still a chance that the play might come back his way (even if it's only 5%).

Polo
03-10-2009, 12:45 PM
How else do you get a sack or tackle for loss?

It does matter what scheme you play in...

3-4 D-linemen primarily want to engage the blockers and aren't looking to shed blocks until they have 'read and reacted'. 3-4 D linemen don't usually have a bunch of sacks...Tackles for loss, maybe

76Texan
03-10-2009, 12:50 PM
It does matter what scheme you play in...

3-4 D-linemen primarily want to engage the blockers and aren't looking to shed blocks until they have 'read and reacted'. 3-4 D linemen don't usually have a bunch of sacks...Tackles for loss, maybe
Watch Shaun Ellis! :whip:

Polo
03-10-2009, 12:56 PM

lol...

That's like saying watch Ed Reed to see what a safety is supposed to do...

But I do get what you're saying...

Specnatz
03-10-2009, 01:09 PM
I think we should wait to complain about someone till we actually see how he plays for the Texans. What he did or did not do in Arizona and their play calling may have nothing to do with the Texans and their play calling.

Let's reserve judgement till we see if he makes the defense better or not.

But that is no fun and besides we are so good at burning a player alive before he even suits up.

Why would I watch a player playing in a 3-4 to see what a player playing in a 4-3 should be doing?

nero THE zero
03-10-2009, 01:29 PM
Sometimes watching tapes of when a player is unsuccessful says just as much as when he is successful. It's good to get an all around feel for a player. Sounds like this game against Miami, he mostly played in a 3-4 scheme. If he consistently performs better in a 4-3 scheme... this would be a good thing as that's what we run.

When the rumors surfaced that we were interested in Smith, I linked someone from the Cardinals' messageboard that had quoted Smith on a radio show saying that he didn't want to play in the 3-4. That's one of the reasons I have been vocal about the Smith-Weaver comparisons being so erroneous. Weaver excels in the 3-4, Smith excels in the 4-3. They're different players, and we're getting rid of the 3-4 guy and bringing in the 4-3 guy.

Polo
03-10-2009, 01:33 PM
I don't see how anyone can say Weaver and this guy are the same...

You can compare weights all you want, but that says nothing about body types and abilities...

76Texan
03-10-2009, 01:51 PM
But that is no fun and besides we are so good at burning a player alive before he even suits up.

Why would I watch a player playing in a 3-4 to see what a player playing in a 4-3 should be doing?I didn't ask you Spec! :specnatz:

Polo and I was discussing 3-4 DEs! :devilpig:

dalemurphy
03-10-2009, 02:01 PM
I don't see how anyone can say Weaver and this guy are the same...

You can compare weights all you want, but that says nothing about body types and abilities...

This fanbase is still suffering from shell-shock. It seems many of the more passionate fans can't separate the decisions made by the previous regime with those made with this one. I get it. Houston fans, dating back to the '70s have suffered disappointment after disappointment. It has become hard for fans to believe success can happen.

bigbrewster2000
03-10-2009, 02:43 PM
An example of a great 3-4 DE is Shaun Ellis @ 285 lbs.
He averages almost 7 sacks a season over his 9 yr career.

In the same game (Jets/Cards), you can see two totally different players.

OK, so Ellis was a #12 selection, but at the end of 04, he got a contract extention that runs 6 yr for $33 mil.

Smith got what, 5 yr $35 mil ?
I don't count sacks. I want to see the overall play of the guy, whether he is capable of fulfilling his assignments to a certain degree. I didn't ask him to be all-Pro.

Sorry, but in those two games, I didn't see the efforts that I'd like to have seen.
Let's hope that the new contract gives him plenty of incentive to work.
(He did step it up in the Falcons play-off game, and that's what I want to witness on a consistent basis.) :)

I have a problem with anyone that compares a contract from 5 years before to a current brand new contract. The price for all players has gone up over 5 years. Were Ellis to sign that deal in '09 instead of '04 he would easily have made 10 mil a season. 6 yr 60 mil. Smith is not getting anywhere close to elite money. That contract doesnt bother me at all.

76Texan
03-10-2009, 06:53 PM
I have a problem with anyone that compares a contract from 5 years before to a current brand new contract. The price for all players has gone up over 5 years. Were Ellis to sign that deal in '09 instead of '04 he would easily have made 10 mil a season. 6 yr 60 mil. Smith is not getting anywhere close to elite money. That contract doesnt bother me at all.
Why do you have to disregard the part when I said I did not expect Smith to perform as an All-Pro?

Lemme ask you something, when a team lays 56 points on you (his team) and I give him a C-, am I lambasting the guy? :shades:

GP
03-11-2009, 12:11 AM
If you watch the Steelers first drive in the Super Bowl...

Antonio Smith shed the blocker and clocked Big Ben right as Ben released a pass to Heath Miller. He blazed past the blocker and caught Ben on what was supposed to be a deeper drop step, but Ben made a nice throw running backward.

Then he knifed through the line AGAIN, near the goal line, and caught Parker way behind line of scrimmage for another fast hit on the ball carrier.

He was off the field on the second & goal play. Then he was on the field on the 3rd down play. On that 3rd down when Ben "crossed the goal line," as the ball is snapped on that play...Antonio is engaged with the blocker in front of him, and a Cardinals linebacker comes up behind Smith and pushed Smith in the back (thinking he was helping Smith because it was a run fake right at Smith) and that tiny series of events made Smith fall to the ground.

The play was a play-action "bootleg" fake with Ben running AWAY from Smith's side to the front corner of the end zone.

I liked what I saw. This was the first time I went back and watched it.

dalemurphy
03-11-2009, 12:34 AM
If you watch the Steelers first drive in the Super Bowl...

Antonio Smith shed the blocker and clocked Big Ben right as Ben released a pass to Heath Miller. He blazed past the blocker and caught Ben on what was supposed to be a deeper drop step, but Ben made a nice throw running backward.

Then he knifed through the line AGAIN, near the goal line, and caught Parker way behind line of scrimmage for another fast hit on the ball carrier.

He was off the field on the second & goal play. Then he was on the field on the 3rd down play. On that 3rd down when Ben "crossed the goal line," as the ball is snapped on that play...Antonio is engaged with the blocker in front of him, and a Cardinals linebacker comes up behind Smith and pushed Smith in the back (thinking he was helping Smith because it was a run fake right at Smith) and that tiny series of events made Smith fall to the ground.

The play was a play-action "bootleg" fake with Ben running AWAY from Smith's side to the front corner of the end zone.

I liked what I saw. This was the first time I went back and watched it.

Using NFL.com/gamerewind (which is amazing), I rewatched quite a bit of A. Smith. What was clear to me was that he gave very good effort, usually ended up in the backfield and in position to make a play or allow others to make a play. Very seldom did he get whipped. Usually, he would collapse the pocket and get good penetration. When he got free, he hit hard. I certainly won't confuse him with Freeney or Mario. He won't destroy the blocker at the snap and come free. But, he'll take care of his responsibility, do it well, and make some plays too. I really liked what I saw.

GP
03-11-2009, 12:46 AM
Using NFL.com/gamerewind (which is amazing), I rewatched quite a bit of A. Smith. What was clear to me was that he gave very good effort, usually ended up in the backfield and in position to make a play or allow others to make a play. Very seldom did he get whipped. Usually, he would collapse the pocket and get good penetration. When he got free, he hit hard. I certainly won't confuse him with Freeney or Mario. He won't destroy the blocker at the snap and come free. But, he'll take care of his responsibility, do it well, and make some plays too. I really liked what I saw.

On the second drive, near mid-field, Ben throws a deep bomb that's tipped away by Rodgers-Cromartie at the last second in the end zone. On that play, the only d-lineman to get pas the o-line and into Ben's face was Antonio Smith. Ben was already into his throwing motion, but still...Smith got a hand right up in Ben's face as the ball is thrown, and the blocker was beaten and chasing down Smith.

A few plays later, Smith jumps through the line because he saw an o-lineman wiggle...drawing a 5-yarder on the Steelers.

After that was the big scramble by Ben where he escaped over and over and found Miller near the sideline for a huge first down. Smith had ran too far up the field, at the snap, and was off the TV screen. Ben scrambled to the left, then back to the middle where he was ALMOST sacked by Smith who had raced back into the play! Smith was a centimeter from sacking him, but only tripped him up because Ben had put on the brakes at the last second and caused Smith to dive for Ben's feet.

The guy was doing his job. He was h-u-s-t-l-i-n-g, that's for sure.

My only concern is that he was on-and-off the field a lot. Not sure if that's a conditioning thing or due to the wacky packages the Cards were throwing out there.

Kaiser Toro
03-11-2009, 10:08 AM
I am way more interested on reviews during the regular season, rather than the playoffs. Playoffs?

GP
03-11-2009, 10:51 AM
I am way more interested on reviews during the regular season, rather than the playoffs. Playoffs?

Somehow I knew you'd reply.

You're not happy with this signing at all.

I'll tell you what you guys told me, when I was solidly against Matt Schaub: Give it time, trust the decision, don't root for it to fail. At this point, I don't think you'd find anything positive to say about him because you're invested in proving that it was a bad deal. Just my opinion, nothing personal.

You have a sense of fatalism about Antonio Smith.

Fatalism is my job. Give it back to me. j/k

76Texan
03-11-2009, 05:17 PM
I, on the other hand, am only interested to find out the total package that we fans just received.

I remember, as fans, many of us weren't too happy with the play with many of the guys on the D-line.

Some would say Mario never showed up until sometimes long after he was drafted #1
Some want to see a whole more production out of Weaver (myself included).
Some said TJ is a bust, or if he doesn't step up, he would be a bust.
Similar things said about Okoye.

The more money a guy receives, the more he would be scrutinize.
Mario was scrutinized by some before he played a down in the NFL.
I don't see any problem with that.

Many of us want to know as much as we can about a new guy.
Some take the attitude of wait and see.
There's nothing wrong with that either.

Personally, I'd like to know as much as I can.
At the moment though, I'd like to go back to study some of the players in the draft.
There are still plenty of time (and tapes) of Smith to be reviewed later.

Thanks to GP and Dale, and whoever for some more glimpses on Smith.

I could have gone directly to the play-offs, but I wanted to start from the beginning of the season (on whatever games I can get a hold of.)

hot pickle
03-12-2009, 04:06 PM
just reading a thing on espn.com "texans vs Saints" about schaub and drew brees

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation/0-6-307/Double-Coverage--Saints--Texans-set-to-contend-.html

all i can say is "OH ESPN" *sigh*

If Houston plays more aggressively and better defense under new coordinator Richard Bush, Schaub and the Texans' offense could feel less pressure

superdave532
03-12-2009, 04:08 PM
just reading a thing on espn.com "texans vs Saints" about schaub and drew brees

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation/0-6-307/Double-Coverage--Saints--Texans-set-to-contend-.html

all i can say is "OH ESPN" *sigh*

Noticed that earlier as well. Best part is this is the guy that is supposed to specialize on AFC South coverage. He did say the name correctly later on in the discussion though, so it was probably just a brain-fart on his part. Still.

ObsiWan
03-12-2009, 04:11 PM
You mean our defensive coordinator isn't Frank Smith..?
...err, Richard Bush...?

Brain fart aside, that was a decent assessment for ESPN.

Vinny
03-15-2009, 10:54 AM
so....I guess they are saying we signed Anthony Weaver 2.0 and that history does indeed repeat itself.

Houston Texans - Everything is bigger in Texas, including contracts for marginal players. Desperate to find a defensive end to line up opposite Mario Williams, Houston gave Antonio Smith, who has 14 1/2 career sacks, five years and $35 million. Houston also brought in former UConn QB Dan Orlovsky to be a backup and re-signed one-time Patriots safety Eugene Wilson to a three-year, $11.3 million deal.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/articles/2009/03/15/following_the_money_in_free_agency/?page=2

beerlover
03-15-2009, 10:57 AM
so....I guess they are saying we signed Anthony Weaver 2.0 and that history does indeed repeat itself.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/articles/2009/03/15/following_the_money_in_free_agency/?page=2

typical chowd fodder of sour grapes, he would be a fine 3-4 DL :)

infantrycak
03-15-2009, 11:07 AM

I'd rather have a guy in the back field and not get a stat than a guy who isn't entirely sure where the back field is and not making stats. I'm waiting at least 6 games to judge this move.

awtysst
03-15-2009, 01:28 PM

Is it me, or does that article give a negative tone to each team not named the NE Patriots?!

barrett
03-17-2009, 02:05 PM
I watched some of the Cardinals games and Smith seemed to be pretty effective on the interior line. More so than the DE I thought. I only saw a few games though. I'll watch more later.

nunusguy
03-18-2009, 05:35 PM
Antonio Smith: Started all 16 games for the Cardinals before signing with the Texans, in 08 Smith had 31 tackles and 3.5 sacks.

Smith is a bit of an enigma signing, not as good against the run as Anthony Weaver, with about the same potential as a pass rusher from the end position. I had actually targeted Smith as a possible cheap rotation player that could work into the line up. I was a bit shocked when his price and demand reached out to the level it did. It reminded me of Larry Brown a bit.
http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2009/03/a_look_at_the_defense_free_agents_and_draft_prospe cts.html
Guy over at the Chron name of Jerry Rice has this in his blog. I'm anything but real enthusiastic about the Smith pickup, but certainly not as negative about it as this guy is. I dunno but sure hope new DC Bush knows what he's doing with this move ?

infantrycak
03-18-2009, 05:59 PM
NFL.com has Smith down as starting 10 games last year, but in any event I'll consider 11.5 sacks over the past 3 seasons to be an upgrade over 1. Don't see how that is anything close to the same potential as a pass rusher.

ObsiWan
03-18-2009, 06:25 PM
Is it me, or does that article give a negative tone to each team not named the NE Patriots?!

No, its not just you. I gathered the same thing. And they N.E. can afford to frugally replace a part here and a part there when that's they need. ....theoretically anyway; with their ancient defense, I think they fall off this year. But that's just me...

Most of us poor schmucks - who don't have a Brady-to-Moss/Welker offensive weapon in our holsters and a defensive "genius" head coach - are paying for complete makeovers.