PDA

View Full Version : Edgerrin James

stingray
03-05-2009, 03:30 PM
I heard that he will probably get released in the next couple days. I think he would be a great #2 to slaton for a couple mil a year. If we don't get him, we will surely have to draft a back in the middle rounds of the draft which is fine but we could concentrate on the defense if we have a capable #2 for slaton coming into the draft. I think he would be perfect with 10 carries a game on this team.

Jackie Chiles
03-05-2009, 03:33 PM
Wasn't he complaining all season that he wasn't getting enough carries? And that was as a starter. I mean I don't think he is really starter material anymore but if he believes he is chemistry could be an issue.

Specnatz
03-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Rather have Joseph Addai.

stingray
03-05-2009, 03:37 PM
Wasn't he complaining all season that he wasn't getting enough carries? And that was as a starter. I mean I don't think he is really starter material anymore but if he believes he is chemistry could be an issue.

I think he just got tired of AZ. I think alot of the players just don't like it there. He is desperate to get out of there. He realizes that he is not a starter anymore, (well, he should), I just think he wants a fresh start. No team in hell will give him a contract as a starter and I think he would be fine with that. But I really think he could create some damage with 8-12 carries on this team behind slaton.

stingray
03-05-2009, 03:38 PM

Joseph Addai is the colts #1 as we speak, young and under contract.

Texecutioner
03-05-2009, 03:38 PM
No thanks.

That would be just like the Amaan Green signing. Older back with a lot of tread on the tires.

stingray
03-05-2009, 03:41 PM
No thanks.

That would be just like the Amaan Green signing. Older back with a lot of tread on the tires.

Totally different situations. Ahman was signed as a #1 with an injury prone history and with a semi-fat contract. Edge doesn't really have an injury history. And he would be the #2 with a much smaller contract.

ATX
03-05-2009, 03:42 PM
No thanks.

Yes, but Green was brought here to be the starter, where as James would most likely be brought in as the #2 if it were to happen. Plus I don't believe James has had the injury issues like Green had coming in.

ATX
03-05-2009, 03:42 PM
Totally different situations. Ahman was signed as a #1 with an injury prone history and with a semi-fat contract. Edge doesn't really have an injury history. And he would be the #2 with a much smaller contract.

Deja Vu man

ChampionTexan
03-05-2009, 03:43 PM

Edge also hasn't averaged above 4 YPC since he got to the Cardinals, and has been below average in short yardage situations.

Texecutioner
03-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Yes, but Green was brought here to be the starter, where as James would most likely be brought in as the #2 if it were to happen. Plus I don't believe James has had the injury issues like Green had coming in.

True, but he just has a lot of wear and tear from all of those years. He doesn't run the ball like he used to either. He did run well at the end of the season though and I'll give him that. I would rather just go with a younger guy personally. I don't think it would be a bad signing by any means. Just not a real good one.

stingray
03-05-2009, 03:51 PM
Deja Vu man

Yep

ATX
03-05-2009, 03:54 PM
True, but he just has a lot of wear and tear from all of those years. He doesn't run the ball like he used to either. He did run well at the end of the season though and I'll give him that. I would rather just go with a younger guy personally. I don't think it would be a bad signing by any means. Just not a real good one.

I'd rather go younger as well, but we could still do both if we got Edge for cheap and short term. I think that might not be such a bad thing......we have our #1 back at the moment, but 2 and 3 are anybody's guesses at the moment. I think we will end up drafting a RB in the 3rd or later rounds, than we will sign a few undrafted FA's, then figure out who's 2 and 3.

JWarren14
03-05-2009, 03:56 PM
He would be a great back-up if he was comfortable playing that role. It's becoming more and more evident that the Texans will look in the draft to pick up another RB. They might pick up a so-so vet to fill in, but I think they will re-sign Cecil Sapp because he can play RB/FB and let the chips fall where they may during the draft and try and find good value there. Then they can look at UDFA and RBs who are cut. Denver should have quite a few that are released with a new HC and the addition of Arrington, LaMont, and Buckhalter...they still have S.Young, Torain, Hillis, and Andre Hall so there is going to be quality there somewhere. I know he is old as hell, but his best years were with Gibbs so I think W.Dunn could carry some value if he is brought in on a 1 year since he is 34 at the most he could be someone for Slaton and our RB draft pick(s) to learn from since he knows the system and has been successful in the league for a long time. But I think Edge will want too much money for his role and not happy playing 2nd behind a young talented back.

stingray
03-05-2009, 03:59 PM
I would love to go younger too but we have too many needs on the defensive side of the ball. Everybody laughed at the Tiatns for drafting RB's early in the last couple drafts, but they could afford to. They had an awesome defense, we don't. We need to concentrate almost on all D.

Specnatz
03-05-2009, 04:01 PM

Joseph Addai is the colts #1 as we speak, young and under contract.

I meant Dominic Rhodes. I was thinking Colts RB and that was the name that popped into my head.

JWarren14
03-05-2009, 04:08 PM
Rhodes would be a solid addition as well

Brando
04-27-2009, 12:30 PM
Edge to be released?

With the Cardinals using two draft picks on tailbacks, it’s safe to assume that veteran Edgerrin James will soon be getting his much-desired freedom.

According to the Arizona Republic, the move could come this week, before the start of a mandatory minicamp, during which a torn ACL would put the Cards on the hook for James’ full salary.

With five tailbacks not named “Edgerrin James” on the roster, they simply don’t need him.

Over the weekend, Cards picked Beanie Wells in round one, and LaRod Stephens-Howling in round seven.

James has been asking to be released for months, sparked by the team’s decision to bench him during the 2008 regular season. But James returned to the starting lineup for the postseason, causing some to wonder whether the team would keep him, despite a $5 million base salary for the final year of his contract.

pft (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/27/edges-freedom-could-be-coming/)

HOU-TEX
04-27-2009, 12:34 PM
No...

Brando
04-27-2009, 12:35 PM
No...

:heh:

Texecutioner
04-27-2009, 01:32 PM
I would love to go younger too but we have too many needs on the defensive side of the ball. Everybody laughed at the Tiatns for drafting RB's early in the last couple drafts, but they could afford to. They had an awesome defense, we don't. We need to concentrate almost on all D.

Yes, that is true but the Titans also had HUGE needs at WR and they ignored them to address their RB situation and it obviously worked out real well. I thought they were crazy to draft JOhnson with that first pick, but it was a great pick.

Texecutioner
04-27-2009, 01:33 PM
I meant Dominic Rhodes. I was thinking Colts RB and that was the name that popped into my head.

Dominick Rhodes wouldn't be so bad, and neither would James for depth. I think we could do better and a little younger but I couldn't complain if we got either one of those at this point.

stingray
04-27-2009, 02:21 PM
Dominick Rhodes wouldn't be so bad, and neither would James for depth. I think we could do better and a little younger but I couldn't complain if we got either one of those at this point.

Rhodes signed with the Bills.

Texecutioner
04-27-2009, 02:23 PM
Rhodes signed with the Bills.

Well there goes that. No biggie.

ChampionTexan
04-27-2009, 02:53 PM
No...

Yes! (I mean yes in the sense the I'm agreeing with your no, not yes in the sense that we should view him in any way shape or form as a good option for the Texans).

BigBull17
04-27-2009, 03:04 PM

He blew out his knee early in his career, which could come back and rear is ugly head. Also, he likes his money and thinks alot of him self. No thanks.

4Texans
04-28-2009, 07:10 PM
Edge is now a free agent.

www.profootballtalk.com

As expected, the Arizona Cardinals have released running back Edgerrin James.

James, a ten-year veteran who joined the Cardinals three years ago, began lobbying for his release not long after he was benched for rookie Tim Hightower during the 2008 regular season. Even after James regained his starting job for the postseason run, he wasn’t regarded as a guy who would remain with the team for the final season of his four-year deal.

And he still wanted out.

Once the Cardinals picked Ohio State running back Chris “Beanie” Wells in round one, it became obvious that the defending NFC champs would move on.

The transaction frees up $5 million in cap space, which in theory could be used to sign receiver Anquan Boldin to a new contract.

Texecutioner
04-28-2009, 07:41 PM
Edge is now a free agent.

www.profootballtalk.com

Well he certainly isn't my first choice or even my 2nd choice, but if we signed Edge I would feel more comfort going into the season with this amount of depth at RB, but I do think we could find someone else better than Edge.

Blake
04-28-2009, 08:00 PM
No. No. No. No. For the love of God. No.

Ok, enough with the dramatics. I am fine with Jeremiah Johnson, Arian Foster and maybe a Peyton Hillis.

Lets shoot for that elusive compliment RB in 2010.

ObsiWan
04-28-2009, 08:10 PM
ummm.... I think not.
We're 0.5 for 3 regarding "experienced" RBs. (I'll give Dayne 0.5.; Kubiak got more out of him than most of us thought he could.)

Gimme someone young and hungry...
...still p!ssed because they didn't get drafted, or drafted high enough...

Big Poundcake
04-29-2009, 03:06 AM
No Thanks.

mexican_texan
04-29-2009, 03:55 AM
Don't sleep on Ryan Moats.

jjohns1
04-29-2009, 06:58 AM
i'd take edge on for one year just to show the rookies and young players how to become a solid nfl player.

BattleRedToro
04-29-2009, 07:25 AM
Edge won't come here and the Texans don't want him for the same reason. Edge wants to be the primary back.

gtexan02
04-29-2009, 08:31 AM
No. No. No. No. For the love of God. No.

Ok, enough with the dramatics. I am fine with Jeremiah Johnson, Arian Foster and maybe a Peyton Hillis.

Lets shoot for that elusive compliment RB in 2010.

Saying you're fine with two undrafted free agent rookies and a guy who is still considered an important part of a DIFFERENT team doesn't give me a lot of confidence.

There is more to being a running back than running between the tackles. Why do you think Edge got all the carries in the playoffs? He does the little things-- he catches well, he picks up blitzes well, he can get tough yards.

We have cap room. Going into the season with our proven starter and then a bunch of udfas is a big risk. Sure it could pay off, but I'd rather have some security there

awtysst
04-29-2009, 09:58 AM
People relax. Just wait till Denver makes their RB cuts. We will be looking hard at the Bronco RB cuts and may take one or more.

ChampionTexan
04-29-2009, 10:27 AM
Saying you're fine with two undrafted free agent rookies and a guy who is still considered an important part of a DIFFERENT team doesn't give me a lot of confidence.

There is more to being a running back than running between the tackles. Why do you think Edge got all the carries in the playoffs? He does the little things-- he catches well, he picks up blitzes well, he can get tough yards.

We have cap room. Going into the season with our proven starter and then a bunch of udfas is a big risk. Sure it could pay off, but I'd rather have some security there

First, we're talking about a complementary back who likely will get 10-12 touches per game, so when you say two UDFA's and an unavailable player don't give you confidence, you're kind of being dramatic. You're also forgetting about Moats, and dare I even mention Chris Brown.

Secondly, the reason Edge lost touches during the regular season in '08 is at least partially because he wasn't getting the tough yards. That's when Hightower's role increased. Finally, as much as I respect Edge's career, I don't think the public whining and complaining about losing your starting job is what we're looking for in a complementary back.

Texecutioner
04-29-2009, 10:36 AM

Excellent post Gtexan. Must spread the rep there.

Blake
04-29-2009, 10:41 AM

I wasn't trying to boost your confidence here. Just stating my feelings on the subject. Edge got the SB carries because their other options were Tim Hightower and JJ Arrington. You do the math. Then they draft Chris Wells and release Edge with 1 year left on his contract.

Also, just because you have some coin in your pocket doesnt mean you need to spend it.

Texecutioner
04-29-2009, 10:47 AM
I wasn't trying to boost your confidence here. Just stating my feelings on the subject. Edge got the SB carries because their other options were Tim Hightower and JJ Arrington. You do the math. Then they draft Chris Wells and release Edge with 1 year left on his contract.

Also, just because you have some coin in your pocket doesnt mean you need to spend it.

Well there were other stuff going on with Edge and the Cards, Edge never said what it was last season nor did the team either. Edge wasn't playing bad at all last season at any point, he just wasn't tearing it up and playing with an attitude like a young and hungry RB would. Once Hightower got the starting job, they literally cut out Edge all together, and Hightower was flat out garbage for the rest of the season. He was so bad, that they had no choice but to go back to Edge and James ended up playing really solid in the post season because he all of a sudden felt like he had a point to prove. One thing about Edge last season though was that he handled himself like a professional the entire time and didn't ***** all over the media or become a team cancer when he was being benched.

I don't think he could command a lot of money anywhere really. Depending on what he'd sign for I wouldn't mind having him. It just depends on how motivated the guy is really. Being a back up though in a loaded back field I think he might run with the ball with some attitude because he'll want to stay on the field.

And one thing that Gtexan pointed out earlier that was a really good point was how good of a blocker Edge is. He was a fantastic blocker for the Colts for years and protected Manning very well and he does catch passes nicely to, so he has other intangibles that he brings to the table that have to be considered.

gtexan02
04-29-2009, 10:56 AM
First, we're talking about a complementary back who likely will get 10-12 touches per game, so when you say two UDFA's and an unavailable player don't give you confidence, you're kind of being dramatic. You're also forgetting about Moats, and dare I even mention Chris Brown.

Secondly, the reason Edge lost touches during the regular season in '08 is at least partially because he wasn't getting the tough yards. That's when Hightower's role increased. Finally, as much as I respect Edge's career, I don't think the public whining and complaining about losing your starting job is what we're looking for in a complementary back.

How exactly do you see this as being too "dramatic?" Our head coach, general manager, and head scout all said that a complementary back to Slaton was a priority for us. The guy I was responding to said he was fine with Foster, Johnson, and Hillis. Johnson and Foster are both UDFAs who all 32 teams passed over for 7 rounds and Hillis is unavailable. I dont' think saying that this group of guys doesnt instill confidence, at a position that everyone in our FO said is a priority, is being "dramatic." I even said it could work out, just seems like a bit of a risk.

As for 10-12 touches being nothing big, I personally think 10-12 touches a game is kind of a lot. I think the average NFL game has something like 100 plays per game (50 per team). 10-12 touches works out to approximately 20-25% of our offensive possessions. Thats pretty crucial, when many games come down to a single play.

I know its a different position, but just to compare, AJ touched the ball about 7 times per game last year. Slaton touched the ball on average 17 times per game last year. You can do a helluva lot with 10-12 touches.

It also doesn't tell the whole story. You don't draft a complimentary back just to share carries necessarily. Running backs get injured, and I think its wise to have a guy you can have confidence in if your number 1 guy goes down for a week or two. Having 2 guys who you have confidence in allows you to run different offensive sets as well. 2 running backs formations, slaton in the slot, etc

I don't know if Edgerrdin James is the answer. If he wants to be the #1 guy, he obviously won't fit in here. But if we've got the money, and he's willing to come in and play a role, I think he would fit in well. Kubiak values a few things in running backs:
1) Can he block? Edge is excellent in pass blocking
2) Does he hold onto the ball? Edge has lost an average of 2 fumbles per year for his 10 year career
3) Does he dance around? He may have lost some of that speed, but he hits the hole and goes

The guy is 30 and obviously not cut out to be the main guy in a place like houston because we have much better options. But I think a veteran presence from a consistently healthy guy like James would be a benefit to our running back group

As for Brown, well, no you dare not say it :) Seriously, I stuck up for Green for years and he burned me with his injury issues. In no way will I count on Brown to provide us with anything other than a receipt for medical bill.

Polo
04-29-2009, 10:59 AM
I don't want edge unless he's signing a contract where we can cut him during pre-season and not bat an eye lash...

Texecutioner
04-29-2009, 11:14 AM
How exactly do you see this as being too "dramatic?" Our head coach, general manager, and head scout all said that a complementary back to Slaton was a priority for us. The guy I was responding to said he was fine with Foster, Johnson, and Hillis. Johnson and Foster are both UDFAs who all 32 teams passed over for 7 rounds and Hillis is unavailable. I dont' think saying that this group of guys doesnt instill confidence, at a position that everyone in our FO said is a priority, is being "dramatic." I even said it could work out, just seems like a bit of a risk.

As for 10-12 touches being nothing big, I personally think 10-12 touches a game is kind of a lot. I think the average NFL game has something like 100 plays per game (50 per team). 10-12 touches works out to approximately 20-25% of our offensive possessions. Thats pretty crucial, when many games come down to a single play.

I know its a different position, but just to compare, AJ touched the ball about 7 times per game last year. Slaton touched the ball on average 17 times per game last year. You can do a helluva lot with 10-12 touches.

It also doesn't tell the whole story. You don't draft a complimentary back just to share carries necessarily. Running backs get injured, and I think its wise to have a guy you can have confidence in if your number 1 guy goes down for a week or two. Having 2 guys who you have confidence in allows you to run different offensive sets as well. 2 running backs formations, slaton in the slot, etc

I don't know if Edgerrdin James is the answer. If he wants to be the #1 guy, he obviously won't fit in here. But if we've got the money, and he's willing to come in and play a role, I think he would fit in well. Kubiak values a few things in running backs:
2) Does he hold onto the ball? Edge has lost an average of 2 fumbles per year for his 10 year career
3) Does he dance around? He may have lost some of that speed, but he hits the hole and goes

The guy is 30 and obviously not cut out to be the main guy in a place like houston because we have much better options. But I think a veteran presence from a consistently healthy guy like James would be a benefit to our running back group

As for Brown, well, no you dare not say it :) Seriously, I stuck up for Green for years and he burned me with his injury issues. In no way will I count on Brown to provide us with anything other than a receipt for medical bill.

I agree. :goodpost:

Blake
04-29-2009, 12:53 PM

Stop being so dramatic. :chickendance:

Do you really think that a 30 yeard old Edge, 31 by gametime, will work out any better than our 30-31 year old Ahman Green did at 23 million? Not to metion that Edge signed a 4 year 30 million contract with Arizona. What do you think it will cost us to sign him this time? Edge doesnt work for peanuts.

Blake
04-29-2009, 12:55 PM
I agree. :goodpost:
I disagree! haha. :fans:

Texecutioner
04-29-2009, 12:57 PM

Do you really think that a 30 yeard old Edge, 31 by gametime, will work out any better than our 30-31 year old Ahman Green did at 23 million? Not to metion that Edge signed a 4 year 30 million contract with Arizona. What do you think it will cost us to sign him this time? Edge doesnt work for peanuts.

Edge doesn't have near the recent injury history that Green had recently had when Green got here. That move had STUPID written all over it by Kubiak.

Edge has been pretty healthy the last few seasons, and Gtexan never said he wanted him for a lot of money. I'm sure that he meant for a fair price. You may be right that Edge will want some money, but he's not going to get anything but pocket change from anyone that signs him. He has no real bargaining chips to play with right now.

Blake
04-29-2009, 01:37 PM
Edge doesn't have near the recent injury history that Green had recently had when Green got here. That move had STUPID written all over it by Kubiak.

Edge has been pretty healthy the last few seasons, and Gtexan never said he wanted him for a lot of money. I'm sure that he meant for a fair price. You may be right that Edge will want some money, but he's not going to get anything but pocket change from anyone that signs him. He has no real bargaining chips to play with right now.

You do know that his agent is Drew Rosenhaus right? Drew just called Edge's new home another stepping stone to his hall of fame career which is exactly why the Texans wont go after him.

Steve Slaton
Ryan Moats
Chris Brown
Arian Foster
Jeremiah Johnson

We only carry 3 RB's normally and I think there is no room for Edge. On the roster or in the cap.

Texecutioner
04-29-2009, 01:49 PM
You do know that his agent is Drew Rosenhaus right? Drew just called Edge's new home another stepping stone to his hall of fame career which is exactly why the Texans wont go after him.

Steve Slaton
Ryan Moats
Chris Brown
Arian Foster
Jeremiah Johnson

We only carry 3 RB's normally and I think there is no room for Edge. On the roster or in the cap.

Everyone behind Slaton could potentially be released at some point before the season. Not one guy there has job security. I'd feel more comfortable with Edge than any guy on that list.

Moats is just average on a good day, Brown is probably in the hospital as we speak, and the other two are unproven rookies that weren't even drafted. Maybe they'll be pretty good, but nothing for me to feel comfort in if Slaton goes down. I know what we would be getting with a healthy Edge. I know that he could block for the QB and catch a few balls as well and eat up some tough yards.

And so what if Rosenhous is his agent, AND??? I swear it almost seems like people are terrified of Rosenhous or something. If Rosenhous wants some crazy deal that is way over what he is worth than the Texans won't touch him, and most likely no one else will either. Edge isn't in any position to ask for a lot of money.

gtexan02
04-29-2009, 02:00 PM

Yes. In the 3 years before he got here, Ahman had missed 14 games.
James hasn't missed any significant time as best as I can tell.

He does have a LOT more tread on his tires (number of carries), but he seems to be very durable.

Steve Slaton
Ryan Moats
Chris Brown
Arian Foster
Jeremiah Johnson

So what exactly? Rosenhaus represents tons of NFL players. He represents at least 4 or 5 current Texans with reasonable contracts (Myers, Winston, Barber, etc)

Steve is set. No question there. Foster or Johnson will be practice squad material imo. Highly doubtful they both make the team, if either one. I'd be happy to cut Chris Brown today. Plenty of room :)

Blake
04-29-2009, 02:57 PM
Steve is set. No question there. Foster or Johnson will be practice squad material imo. Highly doubtful they both make the team, if either one. I'd be happy to cut Chris Brown today. Plenty of room :)

Aight aight. We are just going to be on different sides of the fence here. It will be interesting to see where and what Edge signs for.

:trophy:Championship!

gtexan02
04-29-2009, 03:21 PM
Aight aight. We are just going to be on different sides of the fence here. It will be interesting to see where and what Edge signs for.

:trophy:Championship!

I doubt Edge will come here. And he's not my top choice, so I do agree with you on those. I just hope we can bring in someone other than the young guys we've got on the team. Someone with a track record of something other than physical therapy :)

Killer Bee
04-29-2009, 07:42 PM
Edge would be a meh signing. One positive he could bring is protecting Schaub on third downs. He's certainly better than Ahman but still to old for my taste. Here's to hoping Denver cuts Ryan Torian.:toast2:

Bubbajwp
04-29-2009, 07:49 PM
Don't sleep on Ryan Moats.

Seriously did everybody forget about him? He did pretty good for us last season.

Goldensilence
04-29-2009, 08:12 PM
Seriously did everybody forget about him? He did pretty good for us last season.

I liked Ryan in Philly a lot. Problem is he's a quintessential 3rd down back. I like Foster and Johnson's upside in this offense.

I'd love to have Chris Brown healthy but I'm not even coming close to counting on that. Camp and preseason battle for 2nd and 3rd spot is probably going to be intense especially if they bring in another vet.

Texecutioner
04-29-2009, 08:19 PM
Edge would be a meh signing. One positive he could bring is protecting Schaub on third downs. He's certainly better than Ahman but still to old for my taste. Here's to hoping Denver cuts Ryan Torian.:toast2:

Why do you want Torain? The only guy that had a real high interest in Torain was Shanahan, and no one ever got to see him run but one game and then he got hurt again. Torain doesn't seem durable at all.

The Pencil Neck
04-30-2009, 12:31 AM

I thought Moats did really well last year but several people think he's pretty much total crap. I don't understand it. I think he's our #2, even over Chris Brown, until someone takes the job from him.

infantrycak
04-30-2009, 12:44 AM
I thought Moats did really well last year but several people think he's pretty much total crap. I don't understand it. I think he's our #2, even over Chris Brown, until someone takes the job from him.

I don't think Moats is trash at all, but Brown when healthy is a solid RB. Huge IF in there on healthy, but catch him on a healthy day and he can pound with speed. I really like Moats spelling Slaton as a RB who D's can't say well now the play calling is going to change. As the random spelling Slaton back he doesn't give the play away.

mexican_texan
04-30-2009, 01:30 AM
I don't think Moats is trash at all, but Brown when healthy is a solid RB. Huge IF in there on healthy, but catch him on a healthy day and he can pound with speed. I really like Moats spelling Slaton as a RB who D's can't say well now the play calling is going to change. As the random spelling Slaton back he doesn't give the play away.
Finally someone who sees Brown as more than just injury prone. I still remember his time in 2004 as the leading rusher for a few weeks. From what I've gathered from Titans fans, he has a few problems: fumbling, going missing in crunch time, and a red zone inability. Sounds like a Texan to me.

Killer Bee
04-30-2009, 01:41 AM
Why do you want Torain? The only guy that had a real high interest in Torain was Shanahan, and no one ever got to see him run but one game and then he got hurt again. Torain doesn't seem durable at all.

Torian is the ideal 1 cut and go back, lacks top end speed but has an uncanny ability of making sharp cuts at full speed. He’s 6’1” 225 lbs and runs well between the tackles. I think he would complement Slaton perfectly because of his physical style of running, especially in short yardage situations. He was quickly climbing to the top of Denver’s roster as a rookie until he got hurt. He’s absolutely shown to be injury prone but he deservers more than one season to silence the critics. Injuries happen and I like his upside.

kiwitexansfan
04-30-2009, 04:40 AM
Pencil me in as a Chris Brown fan.... he's had two years rest so at least he will be fresh.

Seriously, the guy is a good RB if he gets on the field. He'd easily be the 2nd best back on the roster if everyone is healthy and fit. I might go even as far as to say that if he was at his absolute best he might be 1a with Slaton.

Injuries... blah blah.... never on the field... blah blah..... lets wait and see what happens we bodies start colliding and see how he holds up THIS year.

ObsiWan
04-30-2009, 05:31 AM

This is the real key. Why would E.J. come here to be Slaton's backup if he was unhappy as a backup on a Super Bowl team?? I can't find any logic in him making a move like that.

...I will admit, the prospect of him going against his old team twice a year is kinda interesting though

gtexan02
04-30-2009, 08:47 AM
I can't believe all the Chris Brown fans that are starting to pop up. Especially the ones that they say they don't want James because he's too old. Hillarious :)

The guy has 600 career carries in his entire career. He has never played a full season. Ever.

Last year I really stuck up for Ahman. He was in great playing shape. Kubiak raved about him. Etc Etc. Then he fell down on a wide open run with no one around him and got hurt. wtf? I was pretty embarassed

Some guys are just injury prone. Chris Brown is a 1st team all IR team, but thats about it

whiskeyrbl
04-30-2009, 08:56 AM
Yes I'll just add to the points already made.
#1 He is over 30
#2 He wants to be a starter
#3 We can more than likely get someone as good or better that is younger and much, much younger.

So I have to say not a chance.