PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Member Mock (Second) Rounds 1-3

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Blake
03-05-2009, 11:10 AM
Ok, we are less than 24 hours from this mock going live. This is the thread you will post your pick, make fun of someones pick, or post anything about our mock draft.

HOU-TEX
03-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Anybody have an updated top 100? I just used the last one to make notes and mark them off as they were picked.

SM, I'll PM you a few players for the Brownies first pick. Kinda stinks starting on a Friday considering I usually don't hit the boards on the weekends.

Oh well, I'll get the PM to ya when I'm done doing a little research. :)

Blake
03-05-2009, 11:32 AM
Anybody have an updated top 100? I just used the last one to make notes and mark them off as they were picked.

SM, I'll PM you a few players for the Brownies first pick. Kinda stinks starting on a Friday considering I usually don't hit the boards on the weekends.

Really im ready to make my pick. So if 2-4 are ready as well, maybe we can kick this thing off and get your pick in before the weekend.

bah007
03-05-2009, 11:39 AM

I can send you my personal top 100 if you're interested.

HOU-TEX
03-05-2009, 11:39 AM
Really im ready to make my pick. So if 2-4 are ready as well, maybe we can kick this thing off and get your pick in before the weekend.

Let's get'r done! I'm down with getting it kicked off now. :goodpost:

HOU-TEX
03-05-2009, 11:41 AM
I can send you my personal top 100 if you're interested.

That'd be great. Probably better than most of the talking heads anyway. Send it so it can be printed easily. What format you have it saved in?

bah007
03-05-2009, 11:45 AM
That'd be great. Probably better than most of the talking heads anyway. Send it so it can be printed easily. What format you have it saved in?

Just a good old-fashioned word document. Looks pretty much like this all the way down:

1. Jason Smith - OT, Baylor
2. Aaron Curry - OLB, Wake Forest
3. Eugene Monroe - OT, Virginia
4. Michael Crabtree - WR, Texas Tech
5. Matthew Stafford - QB, Georgia

Blake
03-05-2009, 11:58 AM
This is the list. Make sure its correct:

Lions - Super Mario
Rams - WolverineFan
Chiefs - beerlover
Seahawks - gtexan02
Browns - HOU-TEX
Bengals - mussop
Raiders - Goldensilence
Jaguars - Texan4Ever
Packers - bah007
Niners - Specnatz
Bills - TexansSeminole
Broncos - Kaiser Toro
Redskins - steelbtexan
Saints - The Pencil Neck
Texans - Shaft75
Chargers - Tailgate
Jets - gtexan02
Bears - jgl35
Buccaneers - TimeKiller
Lions - super_mario
Eagles - Mari-OWNED!
Vikings - YoungTexanFan
Patriots - rmartin65
Falcons - JCTexan
Dolphins - Honoring Earl 34
Ravens - DiehardChris
Colts - Texan_JBZ
Eagles - Mari-OWNED!
Giants - Lork 88
Titans - TimeKiller
Cardinals - BigBull17
Steelers - Ole Miss Texan

Cowboys - Honoring Earl 34
Panthers - The Pencil Neck

WolverineFan
03-05-2009, 12:08 PM
Just a good old-fashioned word document. Looks pretty much like this all the way down:

1. Jason Smith - OT, Baylor
2. Aaron Curry - OLB, Wake Forest
3. Eugene Monroe - OT, Virginia
4. Michael Crabtree - WR, Texas Tech
5. Matthew Stafford - QB, Georgia

Except for Matt Stafford at #5 right lol, jk.

Blake
03-05-2009, 12:15 PM
With the first pick in the 2009 NFL draft, the Detroit Lions select:

Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia

http://z.about.com/d/football/1/0/R/R/MatthewStafford3a.jpg

Reasoning: With a canon for an arm he can make all the throws required in the NFL. He has good size and played in a pro-style offense for 3 years in the SEC taking snap directly from center.

With Culpepper and Stanton on the roster Stafford can sit for the year and learn the ropes while new HC Jim Schwartz builds up the team around their new franchise QB. Culpepper is a stop gap QB, and Stanton is a bad QB from the last regime.

This team needs a ton of help on both sides of the ball so I was also looking at Eugene Monroe, Jason Smith, and Aaron Curry with the first pick but decided on getting my franchise QB this year instead of taking a chance on being able to get one in 2010. There is no denying that the quarterback is the most important part of a football team.

bah007
03-05-2009, 12:19 PM
BOOO! (Jets fans)

Personally, I don't like spending first rounders on guys that can't contribute immediately.

BUT, Stafford is a guy that is gonna have to sit for a year anyway and the Lions do not have a franchise QB.

It's debatable where Stafford stands at right now, but what isn't debatable is that if it all comes together for him his ceiling will be extremely high.

Not a bad pick, IMO.

Goldensilence
03-05-2009, 12:22 PM
Probably the best QB prospect in the draft and I'm not sure he would've gotten past San Fran at 10. Lions need help everywhere.

Blake
03-05-2009, 12:29 PM
I couldn't chance waiting till #20 to see if a QB dropped to me, plus I have no interest in drafting Freeman even in the 2nd round.

Lions fans are joining the Jets fans booing this one.

Also the only way I draft Stafford is if he sits for a year. If they want someone to suit up and start come August, then I would have gone with one of the other 3 I mentioned.

WolverineFan
03-05-2009, 12:36 PM
With the 2nd pick in the 2009 NFL draft, the St. Louis Rams select:

T - Jason Smith, Baylor

Reasoning: I really wanted to take Aaron Curry here, but with Orlando Pace reaching the end of his career you just cannot pass up an elite LT prospect. He is a little raw, but after a year or two on the bench behind Pace he will be ready.

With Pace and Barron holding down the starting jobs at Tackle, Smith can sit for a year and learn behind Pace. Barron has not panned out thus far at the RT position, but unless they move him to Guard and let Smith play RT then Smith will be a backup his rookie year.

I looked really hard at Curry here, but once again I just could not pass on a possible franchise LT. I also looked at Eugene Monroe here because he is the other elite Tackle propspect in the draft. While I believe Monroe is more polished than Smith, I took Smith because he has more potential and a higher ceiling IMO. After a year behind Pace the guy will be good and should hold down that LT spot for years.

Shaft75
03-05-2009, 12:48 PM
With the 2nd pick in the 2009 NFL draft, the St. Louis Rams select:

T - Jason Smith, Baylor

Reasoning: I really wanted to take Aaron Curry here, but with Orlando Pace reaching the end of his career you just cannot pass up an elite LT prospect. He is a little raw, but after a year or two on the bench behind Pace he will be ready.

With Pace and Barron holding down the starting jobs at Tackle, Smith can sit for a year and learn behind Pace. Barron has not panned out thus far at the RT position, but unless they move him to Guard and let Smith play RT then Smith will be a backup his rookie year.

I looked really hard at Curry here, but once again I just could not pass on a possible franchise LT. I also looked at Eugene Monroe here because he is the other elite Tackle propspect in the draft. While I believe Monroe is more polished than Smith, I took Smith because he has more potential and a higher ceiling IMO. After a year behind Pace the guy will be good and should hold down that LT spot for years.

Poor Calvin Johnson. Hasn't had one good qb in two seasons and now he has a rook. I think the pick was about par with what I have seen.

I also still thnk that you can't pass up Curry!

beerlover
03-05-2009, 01:12 PM
http://www.salem-news.com/spimg/april262007/kc-logo-350.jpg

Aaron Curry, OLB Wake Forrest 6016 254

Scott Pioli addressed QB in Free Agency (Matt Cassel) & a field coach to convert to the 3-4 (Mike Vrabel) so in KC tradition of Hall of Fame linebackers (Willie Lanier, Derrick Thomas) indentify the next elite LB to wreck havoc Aaron Curry. Curry is a special person, rock solid character & intangibles, you can't measure @ the combine (heart, character, work ethic). Still he put up solid if not great numbers (1.53/10 2.58/20 4.52/40 & 37" vertical). He performed all his drills looking flawless & fluid with a smile on his face. Curry leaves Wake Forest as a three-time all-conference selection, an All-American and the recipient of the 2008 Butkus Award as the nation's top linebacker.

http://i.pbase.com/o6/30/387930/1/85711479.7mIbrHLq.AaronCurryvsClemson.jpg

Blake
03-05-2009, 01:15 PM
And there he goes. From what I can gather, he is the TT board favorite.

So what linebacker position was he picked for?

bah007
03-05-2009, 01:16 PM

I'm guessing he would play ILB in a 34?...

gtexan02
03-05-2009, 01:40 PM
http://www.firstandtensportsden.com/store/images/product_images/VINYLMAGNET-SEAHAWKS.jpg

With the 4th pick in the 2009 NFL draft, the Seattle Seahawks select...

Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia

This was a pretty difficult choice. With the addition of TJ, wide receiver was no longer such a pressing need for the Seahawks. BJ Raji is a strong consideration, especially considering that a dominant DT would instantly upgrade the Seahawks defense. The signing of Colin Cole for 20 million, however, tells me that they probably aren't focusing on defensive tackle. We would have taken Curry here if he had fallen, even with the already high priced group of linebackers. His talent is just too great to pass up.

With all that said, the next biggest need for the Seahawks was a replacement for Walter Jones. At 35 years old, his play has definitely taken a hit recently, and everyone expects him to retire next year. Injury is already a concern, Monroe is ready to step in and take playing time ASAP. They would have preferred Smith, as he seems to have a little higher ceiling, and despite being a little more raw, would have had time to develop. With all that said, Monroe is a pretty strong candidate to replace Jones. He is a superb pass blocker, has great size and is incredibly athletic. He comes from a long line of successful offensive lineman from Virginia, so his chances for success are pretty high. He was the reason Albert started at LG throughout his time on the Virginia OL, and therefore projects to be even better than the Chiefs rookie standout

WolverineFan
03-05-2009, 01:50 PM
http://www.firstandtensportsden.com/store/images/product_images/VINYLMAGNET-SEAHAWKS.jpg

This was a pretty difficult choice. With the addition of TJ, wide receiver was no longer such a pressing need for the Seahawks. BJ Raji is a strong consideration, especially considering that a dominant DT would instantly upgrade the Seahawks defense. The signing of Colin Cole for 20 million, however, tells me that they probably aren't focusing on defensive tackle. We would have taken Curry here if he had fallen, even with the already high priced group of linebackers. His talent is just too great to pass up.

With all that said, the next biggest need for the Seahawks was a replacement for Walter Jones. At 35 years old, his play has definitely taken a hit recently, and everyone expects him to retire next year. Injury is already a concern, Monroe is ready to step in and take playing time ASAP. They would have preferred Smith, as he seems to have a little higher ceiling, and despite being a little more raw, would have had time to develop. With all that said, Monroe is a pretty strong candidate to replace Jones. He is a superb pass blocker, has great size and is incredibly athletic. He comes from a long line of successful offensive lineman from Virginia, so his chances for success are pretty high. He was the reason Albert started at LG throughout his time on the Virginia OL, and therefore projects to be even better than the Chiefs rookie standout

Seahawks are in the same boat as the Rams. They both have All-Pro LT's that are 34+ years old and need replacements. Good pick.

Shaft75
03-05-2009, 02:01 PM

Nice pickup! But he's no Duane Brown...

beerlover
03-05-2009, 02:05 PM

the beauty is he can play them all, but if you pin me down & force feed me :beerfunnel: inside. next to DJ with Vrabel off his shoulder :specnatz:

gtexan02
03-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Seahawks are in the same boat as the Rams. They both have All-Pro LT's that are 34+ years old and need replacements. Good pick.

I actually thought the Rams would have looked at WR since Holt is leaving, but I guess they thought #2 overall was too high to select crabtree. I would have gone with Smith over Monroe, but I don't think the falloff will be that much between the 2.

I just couldn't select Raji at #4. I have a strong disdain for highly touted defensive tackles. QBs and DTs are by far the biggest gambles in high round selections. Nearly 1/2 top 5 DTs is a bust.

I know Seattle has said they were hesitant to pick a top 5 OT because they wouldn't be as good as Walter Jones, but realistically, almost no one will be. No way would I consider Sanchez at #4

WolverineFan
03-05-2009, 02:11 PM
I actually thought the Rams would have looked at WR since Holt is leaving, but I guess they thought #2 overall was too high to select crabtree. I would have gone with Smith over Monroe, but I don't think the falloff will be that much between the 2.

I just couldn't select Raji at #4. I have a strong disdain for highly touted defensive tackles. QBs and DTs are by far the biggest gambles in high round selections. Nearly 1/2 top 5 DTs is a bust.

I know Seattle has said they were hesitant to pick a top 5 OT because they wouldn't be as good as Walter Jones, but realistically, almost no one will be. No way would I consider Sanchez at #4

If someone considers Sanchez at #4 they should be fired on the spot.

HOU-TEX
03-05-2009, 02:15 PM
With the 5th pick in the 2009 NFL draft the Cleveland Browns select:

Brian Orakpo DE/OLB from Texas

The Browns have several needs on both sides of the ball, but the defense is in dire need of a pass rush.

Other players considered: B.J. Raji, Malcom Jenkins and Andre Smith

Blake
03-05-2009, 02:27 PM
With the 5th pick in the 2009 NFL draft the Cleveland Browns select:

Brian Orakpo DE/OLB from Texas

The Browns have several needs on both sides of the ball, but the defense is in dire need of a pass rush.

Other players considered: B.J. Raji, Malcom Jenkins and Andre Brown

Orakpophobia representing!

So your taking a mid round running back #5 overall?

Blake
03-05-2009, 02:32 PM
So far we have mirrored GBN. (http://www.gbnreport.com/2009projection.html)

HOU-TEX
03-05-2009, 02:33 PM
Orakpophobia representing!

So your taking a mid round running back #5 overall?

LMAO! Nah, I meant Andre Smith.

Blake
03-05-2009, 02:36 PM
LMAO! Nah, I meant Andre Smith.

Yeah im just messing. I know Andre Smith has done nothing but hurt his draft stock, but he is still a talented tackle who will IMO get drafted higher than he should. I took him #5 overall in the pre-combine mock for the Brownies.

WolverineFan
03-05-2009, 02:43 PM
Yeah im just messing. I know Andre Smith has done nothing but hurt his draft stock, but he is still a talented tackle who will IMO get drafted higher than he should. I took him #5 overall in the pre-combine mock for the Brownies.

I would expect the Bengals or Jags to grab him although Cincinnati has to be very intigued by Michael Crabtree's availability.

The Pencil Neck
03-05-2009, 02:58 PM
Super Mario?

In the other thread, could you put the pick number before the pick's name? It makes it easier for me to keep track of it in my spreadsheet. :)

Blake
03-05-2009, 02:59 PM
Super Mario?

In the other thread, could you put the pick number before the pick's name? It makes it easier for me to keep track of it in my spreadsheet. :)

Sure. I am being lazy this time. But I will add the pick number.

Shaft75
03-05-2009, 03:00 PM
So far we have mirrored GBN. (http://www.gbnreport.com/2009projection.html)

Not for long. I am surely not picking Maybin!

Shaft75
03-05-2009, 03:04 PM
Super Mario?

Speaking of lazy... You have a spreadsheet, huh? Are you willing to forward that to me?

Specnatz
03-05-2009, 03:07 PM
Just remember some folks thought this was going to start friday so the time for a pick maybe screwed up.

The Pencil Neck
03-05-2009, 03:08 PM
Speaking of lazy... You have a spreadsheet, huh? Are you willing to forward that to me?

It's nothing special. I was planning on going through and updating it with some of the post combine mocks this weekend. Right now, it's just got some early mock numbers in it. Let me know if you want it and I'll forward it to you.

Blake
03-05-2009, 03:12 PM
Just remember some folks thought this was going to start friday so the time for a pick maybe screwed up.

Yeah. True dat dat dat.

Shaft75
03-05-2009, 03:12 PM
It's nothing special. I was planning on going through and updating it with some of the post combine mocks this weekend. Right now, it's just got some early mock numbers in it. Let me know if you want it and I'll forward it to you.

I just need something where I can do a process of elimination. Hell, if I have time I might just make one myself. BlazingArrow has been quiet today, so I might find the time.

Shaft75
03-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Who's on the board???

Specnatz
03-05-2009, 04:30 PM
Who's on the board???

Bengals - mussop
Raiders - Goldensilence
Jaguars - Texan4Ever
Packers - bah007
Niners - Specnatz

This is the next 5 picks.

gtexan02
03-05-2009, 04:39 PM
To be fair, we should give mussop the benefit of the doubt and extend his 12 hour time frame. He probably wasn't expecting this to start until tomorrow

Specnatz
03-05-2009, 04:46 PM
To be fair, we should give mussop the benefit of the doubt and extend his 12 hour time frame. He probably wasn't expecting this to start until tomorrow

That is what I said a few post ago.

DiehardChris
03-05-2009, 04:47 PM
I would expect the Bengals or Jags to grab him although Cincinnati has to be very intigued by Michael Crabtree's availability.

Nah, I think Cincy has much bigger worries - plus they just signed Laverneus Coles yesterday to go with Ocho Psycho.

I bet if Seattle doesn't take Raji, the Bengals do.

mussop
03-05-2009, 05:05 PM

I pm'd my pick to super mario. Sorry guys I didnt know. My pick was

With the 6th pick in the 2009 NFL draft the Cincinati Bengals select

Andre Smith OT Alabama

It was close call between Raji and Andre Smith. Even with Smiths latest combine fiasco he is just to good to pass up. Crabtree got serious consideration here also but I just couldnt justify taking a WR when there should be a couple of pretty good ones to select with my 2nd round pick.

mussop
03-05-2009, 05:12 PM
Nah, I think Cincy has much bigger worries - plus they just signed Laverneus Coles yesterday to go with Ocho Psycho.

I bet if Seattle doesn't take Raji, the Bengals do.

It was a tough choice between Raji and Smith. After loosing Andrews in FA and considering Levi Jones (30 in August) gave up 5.5 sacks in just 10 games last year I had to go OT.

gtexan02
03-05-2009, 05:14 PM

Andre Smith OT Alabama

It was close call between Raji and Andre Smith. Even with Smiths latest combine fiasco he is just to good to pass up. Crabtree got serious consideration here also but I just couldnt justify taking a WR when there should be a couple of pretty good ones to select with my 2nd round pick.

He should fit right in with the bengals :)

mussop
03-05-2009, 05:16 PM
He should fit right in with the bengals :)

I dont think he will be a problem. This whole combine thing has been blown out of porportion.

Shaft75
03-05-2009, 05:19 PM
How funny is it that Ocho Cinco is stuck in Cincy and Housh just walked away and landed a big payday elsewhere.

The moral of the story... Learn how to shut your mouth kids!

The Cowboys have learned their lesson :zipit:

mussop
03-05-2009, 05:24 PM
How funny is it that Ocho Cinco is stuck in Cincy and Housh just walked away and landed a big payday elsewhere.

The moral of the story... Learn how to shut your mouth kids!

The Cowboys have learned their lesson :zipit:

Have they? Watch them trade for Ocho Stinko. Now that would be funny!

Shaft75
03-05-2009, 05:45 PM
I hope Sanchez falls to me @ 15.

HOU-TEX
03-05-2009, 05:46 PM

:spit:

TimeKiller
03-05-2009, 06:18 PM

McShay? Is that you?

Shaft75
03-05-2009, 06:38 PM
McShay? Is that you?

McShaft! Love the sig man. Fark the pirates!

JCTexan
03-05-2009, 07:13 PM

I hope thats a joke. :bat:

mussop
03-05-2009, 07:21 PM
I hope thats a joke. :bat:

Thats what im sayin! We dont have trades right?

Texan4Ever
03-05-2009, 07:32 PM
Thats what im sayin! We dont have trades right?

I don't think we have trades in this mock...

WolverineFan
03-05-2009, 07:38 PM

Andre Smith OT Alabama

Nailed it! :whip:

Goldensilence
03-05-2009, 08:49 PM
I have a lot of Raiders fan friends so i took the past week to pick their brains about what to do. From the looks of it Tom Cable wants to start Mario Henderson at LT next year. Had Smith fallen to me at 7 however, I would've switched him over to RT and Smith to LT. Crabtree is a big lure here but there has been a huge gapping hole in the Raiders run defense. I couldn't miss the opportunity to take a big step in addressing the need.

With the 7th pick of the 2009 draft the Oakland Raiders select:

DT Boston College - B.J. Raji

Texan4Ever
03-05-2009, 09:24 PM
With the 8th overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft...the Jacksonville Jaguars select...

Michael Oher - OT - Ole Miss

http://images.stltoday.com/stltoday/resources/senioroher625jan232009.jpg

Reason ~ This was a tough pick because the Jags needed a big DT next to John Henderson but BJ Raji was taken a pick before. Khalif Barnes is a FA and the Jags need someone to protect Garrard. Oher, with motivation and coaching can become an elite OT but its going to take lots and lots of work. I could have gone DT or CB, but there well be plenty to choose from in the next few rounds. After Oher, there is a drop off at the talent level of OTs so this is why Oher makes sense.

Blake
03-05-2009, 09:31 PM
I pm'd my pick to super mario. Sorry guys I didnt know.

Just saw your PM. Thanks Mussop.

Everyone should continue to PM me your top 3 when you are 2-3 picks away if you want, to keep this thing rolling. Of course if you are going to be around to make your pick then dont worry about PM'ing me your list.

Blake
03-05-2009, 09:45 PM
Wow. All 4 big time tackles gone in 8 picks.

rmartin65
03-05-2009, 09:54 PM
Wow. All 4 big time tackles gone in 8 picks.

Building in the trenches. This definitely is Houston Texans fans.:fans:

Texan4Ever
03-05-2009, 10:06 PM
This years OTs is more about quality then quantity, unlike last year. After Oher, the rest of the OTs are solid but nothing special.

This mock is going really well and it's relalistic which makes this possibily the best one out there.

bah007
03-05-2009, 11:34 PM
With the 9th overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft the Green Bay Packers select:

Tyson Jackson - DE, LSU

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_2ikEvVMmmzg/SKxODwMr4UI/AAAAAAAABnI/MJRypms_AYM/s400/t1_jackson_wi.jpg

Analysis: With the switch to the 34, Kampman will be switching to OLB, leaving a gap at DE.

I was tempted by Everette Brown here but the LB crew as a whole looks a whole lot better than the crew in the trenches so the pick was Jackson. He will be a powerful force against the run and won't have many pass rushing duties, but he will find a way to get himself a few sacks.

Shaft75
03-05-2009, 11:40 PM
Nice picks guys. I am still hoping Sanchez will slide though!

Specnatz
03-06-2009, 12:14 AM
Not what I was hoping for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:foottap:

That sound was me throwing a phone across the room FYI.

WolverineFan
03-06-2009, 01:49 AM
Amazing how fast this thing goes with no trades huh? We could probably knock out 7 rounds if we wanted to.

Kaiser Toro
03-06-2009, 09:11 AM
Amazing how fast this thing goes with no trades huh? We could probably knock out 7 rounds if we wanted to.

Or how fast it goes when you have folks that are committed, we have already gone through this recently once before, we now have the combine and FA moves fresh in our minds, etc.

Blake
03-06-2009, 09:23 AM
Not what I was hoping for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:foottap:

That sound was me throwing a phone across the room FYI.

Someone steal your player?

Edit: You have 3 hours.

gtexan02
03-06-2009, 09:35 AM
The first picks are usually faster because there isn't much changing to do. Later rounds take more time because guys you had planned on taking are now off the board

Specnatz
03-06-2009, 10:36 AM
Someone steal your player?

Edit: You have 3 hours.

Actually someone I wanted gone was still there.

May regret this but I still believe you build inside out.

With the 10th selection the san Francisco 49ers select

*Everette Brown 6-1.5, 256 Florida State (OLB)

Blake
03-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Who was that? Or do you not want to say?

Blake
03-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Per TexansSeminole PM:

With the #11 pick in the NFL draft the Buffalo Bills select :

Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech

http://www.xcomment.com/g1/img/Crabtree102508112938.gif

Specnatz
03-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Who was that? Or do you not want to say?

It was the piece of dirty filth from the university of spoiled children.

gtexan02
03-06-2009, 10:45 AM
Per TexansSeminole PM:

Nice value pick. Buffalo has a lot of needs, but its hard to pass a guy like Crabtree at #11

HOU-TEX
03-06-2009, 10:50 AM
Actually someone I wanted gone was still there.

May regret this but I still believe you build inside out.

With the 10th selection the san Francisco 49ers select

*Everette Brown 6-1.5, 256 Florida State (OLB)

Do the 9ers run a 4-3 or a 3-4? It's a 4-3 isn't it? Is Brown going to be a DE for them?

Blake
03-06-2009, 11:01 AM
I was tempted by Everette Brown here but the LB crew as a whole looks a whole lot better than the crew in the trenches so the pick was Jackson. He will be a powerful force against the run and won't have many pass rushing duties, but he will find a way to get himself a few sacks.

I think you made the right call. A tweener is such a gamble when building a 3-4 defense. A big boy DE that can hold the point of attack from 2 blockers is just more critical when building a 3-4 defense IMO.

Blake
03-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Do the 9ers run a 4-3 or a 3-4? It's a 4-3 isn't it? Is Brown going to be a DE for them?

I thought it was a 3-4 since they got Manny Lawson to be a OLB pass rusher. But im not 100%.

Specnatz
03-06-2009, 11:11 AM
They ran a 3-4 last year and no where could i find that they were switching.

Ole Miss Texan
03-06-2009, 11:26 AM
With the 32nd pick in the NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select... :thinking:

Wait... what's that? Excuse me, I've got some more time? "Eggsellennt."

I like how this mock is going so far!

Kaiser Toro
03-06-2009, 11:28 AM
With the 12th pick the Denver Broncos select the ILB of the future, and ROY candidate Rey Maualuga.

http://www.trojanwire.com/images/rey-maualuga-58.jpg

bah007
03-06-2009, 11:30 AM
They ran a 3-4 last year and no where could i find that they were switching.

Correct and I don't believe they are changing.

Ole Miss Texan
03-06-2009, 11:36 AM
With the 12th pick the Denver Broncos select the ILB of the future, and ROY candidate Rey Maualuga.

Great selection KT. I really think Rey is a perfect fit for Denver.

gtexan02
03-06-2009, 11:55 AM
Just want to remind anyone out there who is reading this thread but didnt sign up in time that I currently am the GM of 2 entertaining teams, and would be happy to pass one along to you. You gotta PM me before the 17th pick, and be approved by the draftnick-society!

HOU-TEX
03-06-2009, 11:57 AM

Yeah, the Broncos desperately need defense. No better place to start than the middle and I suspect he'll quickly become the leader/captain of the D.

Good pick. :goodpost:

Blake
03-06-2009, 12:02 PM
I know Aaron was interested, but I dont really know much about him besides his 28 post count. Anyone have something to say?

Also, good pick on Rey Rey. A great match IMO. I was hoping he would slide to 20, but knew better.

rmartin65
03-06-2009, 12:05 PM
This draft is shaping up nicely. I am little surprised by how far Crabtree fell, but the picks prior were good. I am hoping my guys will still be there...

WolverineFan
03-06-2009, 12:09 PM
Per TexansSeminole PM:

How did he fall so far?

Goldensilence
03-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Am a bit surpised on Crabtree myself. I think the surgery came at a bad time and like someone else pointed out you can tell this is a Texans fan draft. Lot of inside out building and a good value pick by the Bills.

Blake
03-06-2009, 12:15 PM
How did he fall so far?

Because this is a Houston Texans forum. I think we hold something against skill players. Also he didnt do combine, and is having surgery. So he is slipping a little bit in peoples heads.

WolverineFan
03-06-2009, 12:22 PM
Because this is a Houston Texans forum. I think we hold something against skill players. Also he didnt do combine, and is having surgery. So he is slipping a little bit in peoples heads.

Well it is a little hard for us to justify taking a WR or skill player high when we already have guys like Andre Johnson & Steve Slaton. Our problem has always been on the lines. When you build a team you start in the trenches and that is pretty much the motto for our entire fanbase so it doesn't really come to any suprise.

Specnatz
03-06-2009, 12:41 PM
Because this is a Houston Texans forum. I think we hold something against skill players. Also he didn't do combine, and is having surgery. So he is slipping a little bit in peoples heads.

Well it is a little hard for us to justify taking a WR or skill player high when we already have guys like Andre Johnson & Steve Slaton. Our problem has always been on the lines. When you build a team you start in the trenches and that is pretty much the motto for our entire fanbase so it doesn't really come to any surprise.

Besides getting skilled positions first has worked out great for teams such as the Lions and Raiders.

Shaft75
03-06-2009, 12:42 PM
Hey guys just checking in... Is Sanchez still available?

HOU-TEX
03-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Yeah, if a team's picking in the top 5 odds are they aren't very good along the LOS. The wisest thing to do is build inside out........unless you're Al Davis or Matt Millen.

HOU-TEX
03-06-2009, 12:46 PM
Hey guys just checking in... Is Sanchez still available?

No, he decided he wanted to persue a different career. :winky:

WolverineFan
03-06-2009, 01:00 PM
Yeah, if a team's picking in the top 5 odds are they aren't very good along the LOS. The wisest thing to do is build inside out........unless you're Al Davis or Matt Millen.

Funny how those two teams almost always have a top 10 pick too. I'm not a rocket scientist, but there must be a correlation in there somewhere.

bah007
03-06-2009, 01:22 PM
Funny how those two teams almost always have a top 10 pick too. I'm not a rocket scientist, but there must be a correlation in there somewhere.

They don't have enough talented WR's.....

TexansSeminole
03-06-2009, 01:31 PM
Per TexansSeminole PM:

This was both a need and a value selection.

The Bills need more weapons in the passing game. The need is more pressing than some seem to realize. Their top 3 receivers for the last 2 years have been Lee Evans, Josh Reed, and Roscoe Parrish. I would argue that none of these guys are #1 receiver material, even though Lee Evans is a talented receiver.

Crabtree can be the Bills #1 receiver for the future, and Lee Evans can move to a #2 receiver role. Roscoe Parrish has always been a slot type of receiver, and Josh Reed is good depth as a backup wideout who specializes as a possession receiver.

I was actually targeting Jeremy Maclin with this pick, but Crabtree fell right into my lap.

Shaft75
03-06-2009, 01:57 PM
Who's up next???

Blake
03-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Who's up next???

steelbtexan. But dont worry about it. I am poking people via PM when they are up.

steelbtexan
03-06-2009, 02:14 PM
With the 13th pick in the NFL DRAFT the Washington Redskins select

WILLIAM BEATTY LT Connecticut

William has the best feet of any LT in this draft IMO. He's intelligent & a hard worker. William has shown his commitment to his profession by gaining 10lbs of muscle since the senior bowl.

The Redskins have a major need on the OT (Samuels & Jansen are getting old) & William Beatty fills a need in addition to being a good value @ 13.

Most draftniks have him rated lower but scouts dont kind of like D.Brown.

Blake
03-06-2009, 02:32 PM

William has the best feet of any LT in this draft IMO. He's intelligent & a hard worker. William has shown his commitment to his profession by gaining 10lbs of muscle since the senior bowl.

The Redskins have a major need on the OT (Samuels & Jansen are getting old) & William Beatty fills a need in addition to being a good value @ 13.

Wow. Thanks for stealing my #20...

I guess I will have to take a punter now.

HOU-TEX
03-06-2009, 02:35 PM

Damn!

The Pencil Neck
03-06-2009, 02:40 PM

I don't see this as a big surprise. A lot of mocks have Britton going in this spot and Beatty at 20. I think this is a good pick.

Blake
03-06-2009, 03:05 PM
I don't see this as a big surprise. A lot of mocks have Britton going in this spot and Beatty at 20. I think this is a good pick.

You not going to make a pick while you are here???

The Pencil Neck
03-06-2009, 03:40 PM
Ooops... It kinda snuck up on me. :)

With the 14th pick, the Saints take:

Malcolm Jenkins, CB, THE Ohio State University

Shaft75
03-06-2009, 03:43 PM
Ooops... It kinda snuck up on me. :)

With the 14th pick, the Saints take:

Malcolm Jenkins, CB, THE Ohio State University

You son of a *****.

The Pencil Neck
03-06-2009, 03:44 PM
You son of a *****.

Payback, baby.

Shaft75
03-06-2009, 03:45 PM
I really need to trade down here guys! I call for a last minute rule change.

TexansSeminole
03-06-2009, 03:46 PM

Nope.

Let's see what you do with it. Something similiar may happen come draft day.

Honoring Earl 34
03-06-2009, 03:53 PM

Why trade down , there's some good players not named Sanchez .

TexansSeminole
03-06-2009, 03:56 PM
Why trade down , there's some good players not named Sanchez .

Only difference between this mock and the last one we did as it relates to the Houston Texans is that Sanchez, Vontae Davis, and Britton are still available while Tyson Jackson, Everette Brown, and William Beatty is not.

I don't know what I would do here. There are good players on the board but they don't fit immediate needs.

bah007
03-06-2009, 04:01 PM
Nope.

Let's see what you do with it. Something similiar may happen come draft day.

English and Cushing are still out there...

TexansSeminole
03-06-2009, 04:04 PM

This is why it is hard for me I guess. I am not a fan of Cushing, Matthews, or English at 15.

Jeremy Maclin and Knowshown Moreno are still out there...

mussop
03-06-2009, 04:05 PM

So is Clay Mathews!!!!!! Hint Hint!!!!!!

and other that should get consideration

Knowshon Moreno Georgia RBF
Vontae Davis Illinois CB
Brian Cushing USC OLB43
Chris Wells Ohio State RBF
James Laurinaitis Ohio State ILB
Aaron Maybin Penn State OLB34 OLB43
Percy Harvin Florida WRS WRF
Peria Jerry Mississippi DT43
DJ Moore Vanderbilt CB
LeSean McCoy Pittsburgh RBF
Darrius Heyward-Bey Maryland WRF
Clay Matthews USC OLB34 OLB43
Larry English Northern Illinois OLB43
Hakeem Nicks North Carolina WRF WRP
Alphonso Smith Wake Forest CB
Alex Mack California OC
Eben Britton Arizona OT
Donald Brown Connecticut RBF
William Beatty Connecticut OT
Clint Sintim Virginia OLB43 OLB34
Darius Butler Connecticut CB
Max Unger Oregon OC OG
Michael Johnson Georgia Tech DE43 OLB34

Blake
03-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Only difference between this mock and the last one we did as it relates to the Houston Texans is that Sanchez, Vontae Davis, and Britton are still available while Tyson Jackson, Everette Brown, and William Beatty is not.

I don't know what I would do here. There are good players on the board but they don't fit immediate needs.

Not that you need my opinion but I think gotta go Vontae Davis. He is the only real value at 15. And we need good corners, especially if we dont Sign Dunta to a long term deal.

After that you have to go offense with Maclin.

Ole Miss Texan
03-06-2009, 04:08 PM
BCSPA... Best Colorado State Player Available. :whip:

You do realize you're going to get hell no matter who you pick.

Cushing, Matthews, English, Jerry, Smith, Davis, Maclin, Brown, Moreno... :thinking:

JCTexan
03-06-2009, 04:11 PM

booooo!!!! make the pick already. :)

Honoring Earl 34
On my board ( GBNDR ) the highest rated player is Maclin . We really don't need a WR ... do we ... he returns kicks .

bah007
BCSPA... Best Colorado State Player Available. :whip:

You do realize you're going to get hell no matter who you pick.

Cushing, Matthews, English, Jerry, Smith, Davis, Maclin, Brown, Moreno... :thinking:

Sanchez?...

TexansSeminole
03-06-2009, 04:13 PM
booooo!!!! make the pick already. :)

Haha, that's alot of pressure.

Not that you need my opinion but I think gotta go Vontae Davis. He is the only real value at 15. And we need good corners, especially if we dont Sign Dunta to a long term deal.

It's all opinion, nobody really knows.

Yea if we don't sign Dunta we are looking at a completely different situation.

JCTexan
03-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Haha, that's alot of pressure.

I would pick Cushing or Davis here.

TexansSeminole
03-06-2009, 04:15 PM
I would pick Cushing or Davis here.

If we are picking I'd go Moreno.

Honoring Earl 34
03-06-2009, 04:15 PM

Anyone else think Darius Butler is a better prospect than Davis ?

JCTexan
03-06-2009, 04:17 PM
If we are picking I'd go Moreno.

I already hear people booing you. :wild:

TexansSeminole
03-06-2009, 04:18 PM
I already hear people booing you. :wild:

Oh yea, there is no doubt, but I would still make the pick.

The Pencil Neck
03-06-2009, 04:19 PM
I think the guys that are BPA types of picks at this spot are Moreno, Maclin, Britton, Sanchez, or Davis.

If you're picking based more on need, then I'd probably lean English, Matthews, Laurinitis, or Cushing.

Hmmm... I don't know... I really liked Matthews at the combine. I thought he looked good. But he's a reach at this spot.

If anyone else were to suggest this, I'd make fun of them but... I'd probably go Maclin.

JCTexan
03-06-2009, 04:20 PM
If anyone else were to suggest this, I'd make fun of them but... I'd probably go Maclin.

Shouldn't you make fun of yourself then? :gun:

The Pencil Neck
03-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Shouldn't you make fun of yourself then? :gun:

I do.

Constantly.

Shaft75
03-06-2009, 04:22 PM
give me about 15 minutes guys. I think I know who I am going with. Still doing a little research. I mean... this guy is going to be the future of our franchise and all...

The Pencil Neck
You know, Peria Jerry is another option here, too.

bah007
On my board, the top remaining players are:

Sanchez (10)
Davis (12)
Cushing (13)
Maclin (17)
English (18)

JCTexan
03-06-2009, 04:23 PM
give me about 15 minutes guys. I think I know who I am going with. Still doing a little research. I mean... this guy is going to be the future of our franchise and all...

A part of our future... or are you going with Sanchez? :foottap:

Blake
03-06-2009, 04:24 PM
Take Sanchez if you want. But you better have a plan on how to use him, or if you plan on trading him or what.

I'm out for a couple hours. Yall keep this thing rolling.

Honoring Earl 34
03-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Take Sanchez if you want. But you better have a plan on how to use him, or if you plan on trading him or what.

I'm out for a couple hours. Yall keep this thing rolling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpYEJx7PkWE

mussop
03-06-2009, 04:27 PM
Anyone else think Darius Butler is a better prospect than Davis ?

I do! I wouldnt be upset with him at 15.

TimeKiller
03-06-2009, 04:31 PM
Anybody else thinking of Davis as a safety?

bah007
03-06-2009, 04:32 PM

I don't think he has the mindset for it.

He tackles well enough, but he goes out of his way to avoid contact too often for my taste.

JCTexan
03-06-2009, 04:34 PM

I don't like the idea of drafting someone with our 1st then moving him to a different position. I am fine with Davis as a CB, though.

Honoring Earl 34
03-06-2009, 04:36 PM
Call a radio show .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAa5rP64YbQ

TimeKiller
03-06-2009, 04:40 PM
His scouting reports just suggest that his CB technique is raw but his nose for the ball and tackling are great along with his physical gifts. Seems more like a safety to me but whoever gets him is definitely going to have a shot a real game changer.

TexansSeminole
03-06-2009, 04:42 PM
His scouting reports just suggest that his CB technique is raw but his nose for the ball and tackling are great along with his physical gifts. Seems more like a safety to me but whoever gets him is definitely going to have a shot a real game changer.

I agree with bah. He doesn't look to have a safety mindset when he plays. Malcolm Jenkins has more of a safety mindset.

JCTexan
03-06-2009, 04:44 PM

I would take Smith or Delmas at 15 before I would take Davis at 15 & move him to safety. :twocents:

HOU-TEX
03-06-2009, 04:46 PM
You know, Peria Jerry is another option here, too.

It might be a bit of a reach, but I'd go with Jerry myself. Possibly Mathews or Davis? Y'all know my thoughts on Cushing.

I stated in another post that if the Texans are stuck with the 15th they're going to have to reach a little bit. It appears the scenerio has surfaced here in our draft.

Shaft75
03-06-2009, 04:46 PM
So guys, what are we actually looking for in a defensive football player?

Tenacity? Instinct? Toughness?

:kingkong::d:

Honoring Earl 34
03-06-2009, 04:47 PM

Lawrence Taylor

The Pencil Neck
03-06-2009, 04:47 PM

Yes. Exactly.

JCTexan
03-06-2009, 04:49 PM

Why are you stalling? :bat:

TimeKiller
03-06-2009, 04:59 PM
Peria Jerry=my least favorite pick here

Here comes the Matthews pick!!

Shaft75
03-06-2009, 05:04 PM
With the 15th overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, the Houston Texans Select:

Brian Cushing OLB USC

The pick was Malcolm Jenkins. Before PencilNeck picked him up I just knew he was going to fall into our laps. I had to take some time after that and rethink my choice. The obvious scenario for the real draft was to trade down, but my hands are tied there. BTW, I was jacking with everyone about Sanchez! Figured it would be an early April Fool's.

Anyways, my choice was only defense. It's the weakest part of our team and is obviously still trying to be molded. I want toughness, killer instinct and someone that bleeds the game. I looked at the highlights again for Peria Jerry, Brian Cushing, Vontae Davis, James Laurinaitis and Larry English. Cushing stood out the most. He grinds and always flys to the ball. He can play off the edge, cover a TE or come up and blow up an OL. The only bad thing it that there are so many studs on the USC defense that you kind of wonder what role he plays. He also dodges some blocks but is quick enough to recover and make the play.

At the end of the day, I wanted not just defense, but someone that bleeds a defensive mentality. Cushing is the one. English and Jerry were in a close 2nd. V Davis is a little raw and we already have some projects at db.

Let the booing start!!!:fans:

Ole Miss Texan
Sanchez?...

I personally feel there are better players than Sanchez available... especially that suit well for the Texans needs.

DiehardChris
Peria Jerry plays the same type of DT as Amobi Okoye. We don't need another Amobi - we need a true,wide-bodied NT. Trouble is - there's nobody worth the 15th pick who fits the mold.

WolverineFan
03-06-2009, 05:06 PM
Why are you stalling? :bat:

It's a tought spot. In the real draft the Texans are in the exact position that most teams want to trade out of. Can't trade in the mock though so might as well go BPA and take the heat for it afterward.

TimeKiller
03-06-2009, 05:19 PM
I won't knock it.

Shaft75
03-06-2009, 05:22 PM
*crickets*

Ole Miss Texan
03-06-2009, 05:23 PM
Nice pick, I'm a fan.

DiehardChris
03-06-2009, 05:24 PM
*crickets*

Eh, he's the guy that most mocks have us taking, so it doesn't really inspire a ton of discussion.

That doesn't mean it's a bad pick at all - I'd rather everyone pick who they think is best for their team rather than think they have to be a contrarian for the sake of picking someone different.

Personally - I like Matthews over Cushing, but I can't knock the Cushing pick.

JCTexan
03-06-2009, 05:28 PM
*crickets*

I had the Texans picking Cushing in my last mock, so I can't knock it too much. :)

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59280

JCTexan
03-06-2009, 05:29 PM
It's a tought spot. In the real draft the Texans are in the exact position that most teams want to trade out of. Can't trade in the mock though so might as well go BPA and take the heat for it afterward.

You know I was messing with him, right?

Shaft75
03-06-2009, 05:29 PM
Personally - I like Matthews over Cushing, but I can't knock the Cushing pick.

Tell me why though? I looked at the film and combine numbers and just didn't see why Matthews would be picked before Cushing.

BTW - when I say "film", I mean youtube highlights!

DiehardChris
03-06-2009, 05:32 PM
Tell me why though? I looked at the film and combine numbers and just didn't see why Matthews would be picked before Cushing.

I didn't say he would be. I'm talking about personal preference.

Far as I'm concerned, they're fairly even. The tiebreaker for me is that Cushing is talented, has the experience, and is a total pretty boy. Clay is hard-nosed, has an incredible work ethic, and has a nasty on-field demeanor, but doesn't have as much starting experience.

It's not so much that I don't like Cushing as much as I just like Matthews more.

Yeah - and that's a very, VERY important distinction. You can't tell diddley SHIT from youtube highlights.

Shaft75
03-06-2009, 05:37 PM
I didn't say he would be. I'm talking about personal preference.

Far as I'm concerned, they're fairly even. The tiebreaker for me is that Cushing is talented, has the experience, and is a total pretty boy. Clay is hard-nosed, has an incredible work ethic, and has a nasty on-field demeanor, but doesn't have as much starting experience.

It's not so much that I don't like Cushing as much as I just like Matthews more.

Yeah - and that's a very, VERY important distinction. You can't tell diddley SHIT from youtube highlights.

Cushing has an incredible work ethic, is hard-nosed and has been a starter since his freshman year. Are you sure it's not the last name? :chickendance:

DiehardChris
03-06-2009, 05:40 PM
Cushing has an incredible work ethic, is hard-nosed and has been a starter since his freshman year. Are you sure it's not the last name? :chickendance:

No, the last name has nothing to do with it. I'm not infatuated with Matthews or anything - and it has nothing to do with his uncle.

I just simply like him better than Cushing.

...and I don't like pretty boys, generally. Again - just personal preference. I never criticized your pick.

Honoring Earl 34
03-06-2009, 05:40 PM

There's only one thing that concerns me about Cushing ... tell em Roger .

DiehardChris
03-06-2009, 05:41 PM
Oh - also - when I see Cushing, I can't help but think of Barbie Carpenter from Dallas.

bah007
03-06-2009, 05:42 PM
I personally feel there are better players than Sanchez available... especially that suit well for the Texans needs.

As do I.

I was just hoping to stir the pot a little bit and get some McShay bashing going on in here.

I failed.

Shaft75
03-06-2009, 05:43 PM
No, the last name has nothing to do with it. I'm not infatuated with Matthews or anything - and it has nothing to do with his uncle.

I just simply like him better than Cushing.

...and I don't like pretty boys, generally. Again - just personal preference. I never criticized your pick.

I was joking dude and I don't like pretty boys either. The guy is tough though. I think both Matthews and Cushing need to cut their hair.

Don't really care for yank jersey boys either, but saw through it.

DiehardChris
03-06-2009, 05:48 PM
I was joking dude and I don't like pretty boys either. The guy is tough though. I think both Matthews and Cushing need to cut their hair.

Don't really care for yank jersey boys either, but saw through it.

Oh, dude, I didn't take any of that the wrong way, don't get me wrong.

You were in a tough spot, and I think you took the smartest pick - at least positionally. If you had taken a WR or RB, you would have deservedly taken some, but there's not a lot of bad people can say about you taking Cushing.

One thing I really do like about him is that he's taken the steroid accusations head on. He's never ducked the question, and he's been adamant about denying it and talking to people at length about his physical regimen.

So, I like that. At this early point, still more than a month away, I wouldn't be pissed at all if we got Cushing.

Shaft75
03-06-2009, 06:09 PM
Man I wanted Malcolm Jenkins though. We need some playmakers in our secondary, along with some depth. His versatiliy could have made this draft a lot easier too.

DiehardChris
03-06-2009, 06:10 PM
Man I wanted Malcolm Jenkins though. We need some playmakers in our secondary, along with some depth. His versatiliy could have made this draft a lot easier too.

Agreed. I'm hoping that Sean Smith makes it to 46. I'd love to have him on the team.

The Pencil Neck
03-06-2009, 06:10 PM
I have absolutely no problems with taking Cushing.

Shaft75
03-06-2009, 06:14 PM
I have absolutely no problems with taking Cushing.

I just really didn't want to take a LB in the first round. Look at where most of the star LB's have come from. I wanted a ballhawk safety. Why isn't Mays in this draft?

HOU-TEX
03-06-2009, 06:17 PM

Hey, Cushing has more than enough physical tools needed to be a badass LB. There's just something about him that scares the crap out of me.

IMO, you had a choice of grabbing Cushing and hope his physique and film can translate to the NFL or reach.

Shaft75
03-06-2009, 06:22 PM
Allright, who is up next???

DiehardChris
03-06-2009, 06:23 PM
Oh, I don't know how I left this out - but Cushing has had some persistent leg injury issues. Matthews has never had injury problems and has been very durable - of course, part of that is because he only started full time as a senior.

mussop
03-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Peria Jerry plays the same type of DT as Amobi Okoye. We don't need another Amobi - we need a true,wide-bodied NT. Trouble is - there's nobody worth the 15th pick who fits the mold.

What makes you think a "wide bobied NT" is in our plans? I keep hearing this here but to this day have never heard Smith, Kubiak or Kollier (sp?) say they want or need a "wide bodied NT". From what I have gathered they want DL that can penetrait and disrupt plays in the backfield.

Also put me down as pro Mathews. I dont know what it is about Cushing but I just dont like the guy. I mean as a player, I dont care what he looks like.

TexansSeminole
03-06-2009, 07:50 PM
And we've hit a speed bump

DiehardChris
03-06-2009, 07:52 PM
What makes you think a "wide bobied NT" is in our plans? I keep hearing this here but to this day have never heard Smith, Kubiak or Kollier (sp?) say they want or need a "wide bodied NT". From what I have gathered they want DL that can penetrait and disrupt plays in the backfield.

Also put me down as pro Mathews. I dont know what it is about Cushing but I just dont like the guy. I mean as a player, I dont care what he looks like.

I've never seen them say it. I don't know that it's in our plans. I just think it's something we need. A big guy who can command two blockers and be a run-stuffer.

mussop
03-06-2009, 07:59 PM
I've never seen them say it. I don't know that it's in our plans. I just think it's something we need. A big guy who can command two blockers and be a run-stuffer.

I agree with it I just dont think our team does. Its kind of like the S situation. We all want a ballhawking FS but doesnt seem to be in the teams plans. That is why I wouldnt be stunned to see them take a player like Peria.

DiehardChris
03-06-2009, 08:11 PM
I agree with it I just dont think our team does. Its kind of like the S situation. We all want a ballhawking FS but doesnt seem to be in the teams plans. That is why I wouldnt be stunned to see them take a player like Peria.

Yeah, it baffles me why they don't think top talent is needed at the safety position. The team has never drafted a safety higher than the 4th round, and then the coaches wonder why the safety play is usually terrible, and average at best.

That second round pick is going to be very, very interesting. The first pick is too - but that pick at 46 is just so wide, wide open.

Shaft75
03-06-2009, 08:11 PM

Peria's not a bad pickup, he's very disruptive. I just think we need a one gap dt. I haven't heard the coaches say it though. We need a big, fat, nasty run stuffer.

Change of subject: What do y'all think about Larry English?

DiehardChris
03-06-2009, 08:25 PM
Peria's not a bad pickup, he's very disruptive. I just think we need a one gap dt. I haven't heard the coaches say it though. We need a big, fat, nasty run stuffer.

Change of subject: What do y'all think about Larry English?

I was actually going to add him to the list of DE possibilities when he weighed in at the Combine at 274 - then they said that was a mistake, and he's actually still in the 250s... the official NFL.com Combine page still hast the 274 weight though.

TexansSeminole
03-06-2009, 10:20 PM
I don't think Tailgate is going to be around.

Brandon420tx
03-06-2009, 11:41 PM
I would have taken Maclin personally...

Shaft75
03-07-2009, 12:17 AM
I would have taken Maclin personally...

Maclin is a great wr and all but wr isn't a pressing need. We also have a lot of money tied up at the position. The defense needs to get way more physical. The only way as of now is through the draft.

Specnatz
03-07-2009, 12:26 AM
I don't think Tailgate is going to be around.

I will take over if he No shows.

beerlover
03-07-2009, 01:54 AM
the delayed reaction (Cushing pick) I find interesting as the process continues forward, afterall this means Cushing will not be the pick cause by the time draft day comes we'll have tasted several flavors of the coming weeks. But at this point in time its a worthy pick, nice job :shades:

Shaft75
03-07-2009, 09:21 AM
the delayed reaction (Cushing pick) I find interesting as the process continues forward, afterall this means Cushing will not be the pick cause by the time draft day comes we'll have tasted several flavors of the coming weeks. But at this point in time its a worthy pick, nice job :shades:

Gracias. It was a tough one. I still keep wondering if Jerry was the pick. But I think Cushing will work out.

Brandon420tx
03-07-2009, 10:06 AM
Maclin is a great wr and all but wr isn't a pressing need. We also have a lot of money tied up at the position. The defense needs to get way more physical. The only way as of now is through the draft.

Need Shmeed, if we couldn't trade out of that situation I take the best player available.

At worst, he solidifies the third WR.
At best, he moves Walter into the slot (HELLOBABY)
Middle ground, he becomes the Reggie Wayne to our Marvin Harrison (although AJ isn't that old yet).

A year after we draft him we can pretty much run any play out of the 3WR 1TE 1 HB set.

Blake
03-07-2009, 10:42 AM
Its been 17 hours since the last pick. Who do we want to give the Chargers? They are very random IMO.

They could go Wells at RB since LT is going downhill.
I could see them taking a WR (Maclin or Harvin), and they have a slight need at CB with Vontae Davis.

From draft coutdown

San Diego Chargers
Depth Chart (http://www.nfl.com/teams/depthcharts/SD)

1. Offensive Line: Right guard Mike Goff is 33-years-old and a free agent and, even though he's solid, they could probably find an upgrade for former sixth rounder Jeromey Clary at right tackle. 2. Defensive End: Igor Olshansky is a free agent and it doesn't look like the team is going to make much of an effort to re-sign him so they will have to bring in some reinforcements and depth. 3. Inside Linebacker: Despite bringing in the likes of Stephen Cooper, Matt Wilhelm, Tim Dobbins and Brandon Siler in recent years they lack the stud inside to team with Merriman and Phillips.

jgl35
03-07-2009, 10:48 AM
I vote Davis. You can never have too many CB's.

beerlover
03-07-2009, 10:58 AM
1.) Detroit Lions Select: Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia

2.) St. Louis Rams Select: Jason Smith, OT, Baylor

3.) Kansas City Chiefs Select: Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest

4.) Seattle Seahawks Select: Eugene Monroe, OT, Virgina

5.) Cleveland Browns Select: Brian Orakpo, DE/OLB, Texas

6.) Cincinnati Bengals Select: Andre Smith, OT, Alabama

7.) Oakland Raiders Select: B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College

8.) Jacksonville Jaguars Select: Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss

9.) Green Bay Packers Select: Tyson Jackson, DE, L.S.U.

10.) San Francisco 49ers Select: Everette Brown, DE/OLB, Florida State

11.) Buffalo Bills Select: Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech

12.) Denver Broncos Select: Rey Maualuga, LB, U.S.C.

13.) Washington Redskins Select: William Beatty, OT, Connecticut

14.) New Orleans Saints Select: Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State

15.) Houston Texans Select: Brian Cushing, LB, U.S.C.

16.) San Diego Chargers Select: Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia

the two obvious choices would be Tyson Jackson, LDE & Rey Maualuga, ILB however both are taken. best player available w/RB need in mind.

Blake
03-07-2009, 11:15 AM
They do have Cason and Cromartie at CB, but Im not sure what the status is on Cromartie. I think they said they will not trade him.

Wells or Moreno would be ok picks for them.

Laurinaitis at ILB is a huge need.

There is no DE pick here, but what about an OLB like Maybin or English?

Shaft75
03-07-2009, 11:33 AM
They do have Cason and Cromartie at CB, but Im not sure what the status is on Cromartie. I think they said they will not trade him.

What about Dirty Sanchez???

Blake
03-07-2009, 11:36 AM
The San Diego Chargers Select:

Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia

http://thedawgpost.com/2007/poy/2007122549.jpg

beerlover
03-07-2009, 11:36 AM

Englsih/Maybin would play same position as Merriman. Shaun Phillips plays the other OLB position. both too small to play on line in 3-4. Laurinaitis would fit nicely inside but I would take Moreno 9 times out of 10 over James. Wells I would not touch in the 1st rd. reminds me of Lendale White who went in 2nd.

Shaft75
03-07-2009, 11:37 AM
Need Shmeed, if we couldn't trade out of that situation I take the best player available.

At worst, he solidifies the third WR.
At best, he moves Walter into the slot (HELLOBABY)
Middle ground, he becomes the Reggie Wayne to our Marvin Harrison (although AJ isn't that old yet).

A year after we draft him we can pretty much run any play out of the 3WR 1TE 1 HB set.

The run & shoot was done when the Oilers took off to TN man. Let it go! Defense is our need, why avoid it?(like we did LT all those drafts) You sound like an offensive coordinator.

beerlover
03-07-2009, 11:37 AM

there you go, nice pick :tiphat:

The Pencil Neck
03-07-2009, 11:38 AM
I'd probably go Eben Britton, Laurinitis, or Moreno.

The Pencil Neck
03-07-2009, 11:38 AM

I like it.

Shaft75
03-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Yeah that is tremendous value getting Knowshon @16. Nice pick.

DiehardChris
03-07-2009, 11:50 AM
All the noise coming out of SD is that LT is going to leave, so this is a smart pick. If Tyson Jackson had still been on the board, I would have suggested him, since they lost Igor.

Brandon420tx
03-07-2009, 12:07 PM
The run & shoot was done when the Oilers took off to TN man. Let it go! Defense is our need, why avoid it?(like we did LT all those drafts) You sound like an offensive coordinator.

Heh, I actually like defense. I'm just not in the Cushing camp.

Like I said, I would rather have a trade down in that scenario (alot of people would I'm sure) but since we can't in mocks, take the best player who would help our team. Also, never said anything about avoiding defense, we still have 7 more picks do you think the Texans should avoid offense entirely?

Actually, if there was a value pick at guard or center I would have taken that over WR.

gtexan02
03-07-2009, 12:19 PM
Sanchez or not. I can't decide!!!

DiehardChris
03-07-2009, 12:24 PM
Sanchez or not. I can't decide!!!

Walter Football (http://www.walterfootball.com/freeagents2009QB.php) has the Jets' #2 QB (or who I thought was their #2) as one of the top free agent QBs (mainly because the field is so weak). He's exclusive rights, so they're going to re-sign him probably... I didn't know the guy was so highly regarded. Clemens hasn't really had an extended chance - or maybe he has. I dunno.

Brett Ratliff (ERFA), Jets. Age: 24.
One of the bright young quarterbacks in the NFL, Brett Ratliff - not Kellen Clemens - is set to take over as the starting signal caller if Brett Favre retires. Ratliff will be retained for small money.

With a defensive-minded head coach, I can definitely see them trying their hand with Clemens and Ratliff, and looking elsewhere at 17.

gtexan02
03-07-2009, 12:28 PM
If this happened in real life, I think the Jets would look to trade back. Sanchez falling to them is great, because they do have a need at QB. But I think they won't be sold on him.

Biggest needs were ILB and defensive backfield, but these were filled with free agents.

As such, after cutting Lauverneus Coles, the NY Jets select:

Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri

http://images.stltoday.com/stltoday/resources/maclin328x315spr08gm042008m.jpg

Texan4Ever
03-07-2009, 12:45 PM
If this happened in real life, I think the Jets would look to trade back. Sanchez falling to them is great, because they do have a need at QB. But I think they won't be sold on him.

Biggest needs were ILB and defensive backfield, but these were filled with free agents.

As such, after cutting Lauverneus Coles, the NY Jets select:

Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri

http://images.stltoday.com/stltoday/resources/maclin328x315spr08gm042008m.jpg

Jets fans say, "YYYEEEEESSSSSSSSS!"...at least its not another TE :thisbig:

Blake
03-07-2009, 12:48 PM
I would have put money on Sanchez being the pick. But Maclin is a tremendous talent at this point.

jgl35
03-07-2009, 01:03 PM
The Bears select Mark Sanchez QB USC.
Not the player I ever considered at the start of this draft. Should never be here. I just hope this doesn't out to be another Grossman.

Blake
03-07-2009, 01:09 PM
The Bears select Mark Sanchez QB USC.
Not the player I ever considered at the start of this draft. Should never be here. I just hope this doesn't out to be another Grossman.

I like it. The bears have lacked a talented QB for some time now and I think they would be very fortunate to have a shot at selecting Sanchez.

Im glad I didnt chance him lasting to #20 for the Lions.

JCTexan
03-07-2009, 01:21 PM

haha I traded back to get him in the last mock with SD... :brando:

jgl35
03-07-2009, 01:59 PM
You know, what is happening here could very well happen to Sanchez in the draft. So far I see no off the wall picks by anybody. With only one year starting a USC, there is some question as to where to take him. A lot of wasted money if you are wrong on a highly picked QB who doesn't work out.

Anyhow, I just wasted a lot of time going over QB's who I thought would fit the Bears in later rounds. Have to go look at other positions now.

Texan4Ever
03-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Tyson Jackson would have made sense for the Bears, however, IMO the Seahawks screwed up the draft by taking BJ Raji...lol...jk. But I had Raji going to the Packers and Crabtree going to the Seahawks even with the signing of TJ Housurmama.

Is this mock a first round only of what, I would love to do at least a three round mock!

Blake
03-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Is this mock a first round only of what, I would love to do at least a three round mock!

Its a 3 round mock with an option after that for rounds 4-7. 30 million guaranteed.
:ohsnap:

DiehardChris
03-07-2009, 02:45 PM
Its a 3 round mock with an option after that for rounds 4-7. 30 million guaranteed.
:ohsnap:

Only 30 million!?!?

*storms out of office with Dunta*

gtexan02
03-07-2009, 05:41 PM
Tyson Jackson would have made sense for the Bears, however, IMO the Seahawks screwed up the draft by taking BJ Raji...lol...jk. But I had Raji going to the Packers and Crabtree going to the Seahawks even with the signing of TJ Housurmama.

The seahawks didn't take Raji..

Texan4Ever
03-07-2009, 07:17 PM
The seahawks didn't take Raji..

Woops, I ment the Raiders. Anyways, good mock so far.

:beerfunnel:

TimeKiller
03-07-2009, 07:53 PM
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers select:

Peria Jerry, DT, Mississippi

gtexan02
03-07-2009, 08:13 PM
Bills just signed TO. Crabtree + TO + Lee Evans would instantly be one of the top WR corps in the league

Blake
03-07-2009, 09:56 PM
With the 20th pick in the 2009 NFL draft, the Detroit Lions Select:

Eben Britton, OT, Arizona

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/ariz/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/2218726.jpeg

I Really considered going defense here, but with the way tackles are flying off the board I needed to get a top 5 tackle to protect my investment in Stafford. Really good defenders seem to be available in the 2nd round anyways.

Eben is a 6'6" 310 lbs offensive tackle who is as good as Jason Smith at pass protection. Once he locks onto a defender, the battle is over. He will need to work on his run blocking but with good coaching could turn into a pro-bowl left tackle.

I wanted to beef up the defense but I have to adjust to the way the draft is going. Besides, defenders are instant upgrades, while offensive players usually have a harder learning curve. So it makes sense to get the offense going first.

Blake
03-08-2009, 12:16 PM
Mari-OWNED! time is up. I know he is normally around, but his time is up. Anyone have a suggestion?

Philadelphia Eagles
Depth Chart (http://www.nfl.com/teams/depthcharts/PHI)

1. Tight End: L.J. Smith is a free agent and after a disappointing 2008 season (37 Rec | 298 Yards | 3 TD's) the team probably isn't too eager to use the franchise tag and pay him $4.5 million again. 2. Safety: Franchise stalwart Brian Dawkins was allowed to leave as a free agent and Sean Considine bolted as well which leaves one starting spot a question mark and their depth awfully shaky. 3. Running Back: Brian Westbrook is undoubtedly one of the best in the business when he is healthy but it seems like he is nicked up and a "Gametime Decision" more often than not these days.

I vote: Pettigrew or Wells.

WolverineFan
03-08-2009, 12:20 PM
Mari-OWNED! time is up. I know he is normally around, but his time is up. Anyone have a suggestion?

Philadelphia Eagles
Depth Chart (http://www.nfl.com/teams/depthcharts/PHI)

1. Tight End: L.J. Smith is a free agent and after a disappointing 2008 season (37 Rec | 298 Yards | 3 TD's) the team probably isn't too eager to use the franchise tag and pay him $4.5 million again. 2. Safety: Franchise stalwart Brian Dawkins was allowed to leave as a free agent and Sean Considine bolted as well which leaves one starting spot a question mark and their depth awfully shaky. 3. Running Back: Brian Westbrook is undoubtedly one of the best in the business when he is healthy but it seems like he is nicked up and a "Gametime Decision" more often than not these days.

I vote: Pettigrew or Wells.

I would say Chris Wells.

Honoring Earl 34
03-08-2009, 12:35 PM
I would say Chris Wells.

Ditto

Blake
03-08-2009, 12:46 PM
The Philadelphia Eagles Select:

Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/02Tq68Rfv5g5G/340x.jpg

mussop
03-08-2009, 02:22 PM
Wahts the holdup here? Whos up?

Blake
03-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Vikings - YoungTexanFan
Patriots - rmartin65
Falcons - JCTexan
Ravens - DiehardChris

Im sure it will pick back up Monday morning.

The Pencil Neck
03-08-2009, 02:51 PM
Wahts the holdup here? Whos up?

I think it's just that there aren't as many people on during the weekend.

mussop
03-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Vikings - YoungTexanFan
Patriots - rmartin65
Falcons - JCTexan
Ravens - DiehardChris

Im sure it will pick back up Monday morning.

SM Im waiting on a phone call that could have me going out of town until Monday night. Could you PM me so I could reply with a list of players in case my pick comes up while Im gone. I cant seem to get to my pm'er.

Blake
03-08-2009, 03:42 PM
Done.

Mari-OWNED!
03-08-2009, 06:46 PM

Sorry everyone! I feel bad, just had a lot on my plate this weekend, and I just forgot about this. Won't happen again, can I still participate?

WolverineFan
03-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Sorry everyone! I feel bad, just had a lot on my plate this weekend, and I just forgot about this. Won't happen again, can I still participate?

I'm pretty sure you are still in. I just hope you like Chris Wells lol.

Blake
03-08-2009, 08:00 PM

Its fine. Do you want to change the Chris Wells pick? You have until the Vikings make their selection to do so.

Kaiser Toro
03-08-2009, 08:07 PM
YTF is the Vikings pick and is lurking on the board.

Mari-OWNED!
03-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Do you want to change the Chris Wells pick?

Naw, the more I look at it, that looks like the best pick on how this draft has turned out. I really wanted to get an offensive lineman here, but all the "1st rounder" lineman have pretty much all been picked. So I'm fine with Beanie.

DiehardChris
03-08-2009, 10:55 PM
Okay - so YTF just said he never signed up for this draft.

So we need a new Vikes rep, or we need to just make the pick and move on. Unbelievable! LOL

Specnatz
03-08-2009, 10:59 PM
Okay - so YTF just said he never signed up for this draft.

So we need a new Vikes rep, or we need to just make the pick and move on. Unbelievable! LOL

Well that kinda sucks.

YoungTexanFan
03-08-2009, 10:59 PM
Yeah, I never signed up for this. I've been locked in the library the past week working on mid-terms. I'm usually game for this type of thing, but I haven't looked at this thread before this post. Sorry to let you guys down, but I haven't done much research on the Vikings, nor am I going to dig through pages of posts to see the list of guys taken. I hope yall can move on without me for this draft, though I would love to participate in the final mock closer to the actual draft. Good luck!

The Pencil Neck
03-08-2009, 11:02 PM
I'm fine with taking the Vikings... although that will give me 3 teams, the Saints only have a 1st round pick and the Panthers only have a 2 and a 3. So, it would be like taking two teams.

But it's up to you guys.

DiehardChris
03-08-2009, 11:02 PM
Yeah, I never signed up for this. I've been locked in the library the past week working on mid-terms. I'm usually game for this type of thing, but I haven't looked at this thread before this post. Sorry to let you guys down, but I haven't done much research on the Vikings, nor am I going to dig through pages of posts to see the list of guys taken. I hope yall can move on without me for this draft, though I would love to participate in the final mock closer to the actual draft. Good luck!

No problem, looks like just a miscommunication of some sort.

So - Vikings. What do you guys think?

WR? DHB, Harvin, Nicks are still on the board.

Blake
03-08-2009, 11:08 PM
Minnesota Vikings
Depth Chart (http://www.nfl.com/teams/depthcharts/MIN)
1. Right Tackle: Ryan Cook continues to disappoint as a starter, former second round bust Marcus Johnson is a free agent and the versatile Artis Hicks is much, much better suited for a backup role. 2. Cornerback: Antoine Winfield is one of the best in the biz but Cedric Griffin has his ups and downs, Marcus McCauley has been a big bust and Charles Gordon is coming off a serious ankle injury. 3. Defensive Line: They are set with the starters but Kevin and Pat Williams are facing league suspensions and it would not hurt to bolster their depth at both defensive tackle and defensive end.

Josh Freeman
Vontae Smith
Robert Ayers
DHB

The Pencil Neck
03-08-2009, 11:12 PM
Minnesota Vikings
Depth Chart (http://www.nfl.com/teams/depthcharts/MIN)

1. Right Tackle: Ryan Cook continues to disappoint as a starter, former second round bust Marcus Johnson is a free agent and the versatile Artis Hicks is much, much better suited for a backup role. 2. Cornerback: Antoine Winfield is one of the best in the biz but Cedric Griffin has his ups and downs, Marcus McCauley has been a big bust and Charles Gordon is coming off a serious ankle injury. 3. Defensive Line: They are set with the starters but Kevin and Pat Williams are facing league suspensions and it would not hurt to bolster their depth at both defensive tackle and defensive end.

Josh Freeman
Vontae Smith
Robert Ayers

Vontae Davis

DiehardChris
03-08-2009, 11:14 PM
They've already got a TON of money tied up in the D-line. I don't think they'd go first round here.

Their WR corps is unimpressive. I think WR or CB. There are no OTs worth this pick - Loadholt and Meredith are reaches here.

JCTexan
03-08-2009, 11:14 PM
I say Davis or DHB

Honoring Earl 34
03-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Vontae Davis would be the highest rated player .

Blake
03-08-2009, 11:16 PM
The Minnesota Vikings Select:

Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois

http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/VDavis.jpg

The Pencil Neck
03-08-2009, 11:17 PM
They've already got a TON of money tied up in the D-line. I don't think they'd go first round here.

Their WR corps is unimpressive. I think WR or CB. There are no OTs worth this pick - I think Loadholt and Meredith are reaches here.

Actually, they WERE all over TJ Houshmanzadeh, weren't they?

So, Nicks or Harvin make good sense here ,too.

But the past couple of Walter Mocks had them taking Darius Butler or D.J. Moore with this pick. I think Davis is the pick.

JCTexan
03-08-2009, 11:18 PM
The Minnesota Vikings Select:

Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois

http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/VDavis.jpg

hehe now I am two picks away.

Blake
03-08-2009, 11:18 PM

But the past couple of Walter Mocks had them taking Darius Butler or D.J. Moore with this pick. I think Davis is the pick.

Like last year, I think good WR's are available in the 2nd round.

DiehardChris
03-08-2009, 11:19 PM

Yeah, can't argue with Davis here at all.

Specnatz
03-08-2009, 11:21 PM
Yeah, can't argue with Davis here at all.

Davis or WR I would have had no issue with.