PDA

View Full Version : Roy Williams, S, has been released

Errant Hothy
03-05-2009, 10:42 AM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/05/the-original-roy-williams-gets-his-wish/

With the pad of pink slips already out of the desk drawer for receiver Terrell Owens, NBC Dallas-Ft. Worth reports that the Dallas Cowboys used a second sheet on safety Roy Williams. (Not receiver Roy Williams, Sid. Safety Roy Williams.)

The move comes two days after Williams gave the team a “trade me or cut me” ultimatum, and presumably after the team exhausted all potential trade opportunities.

As of last week, the Cowboys were actively shopping the seven-year veteran, but could find no takers.

Any before anybody asks, "Should we sign him?"; hell no is the answer.

Bubbajwp
03-05-2009, 10:44 AM
Hell no! Horrible in coverage. He needs to try and move to LB.

TexansFan33
03-05-2009, 11:05 AM
All he does is get burned and then horse collar tackle someone and breaks their ankle.

Goldensilence
03-05-2009, 11:14 AM
If we were still playing Richard Smith defense would've been a perfect fit. Guy hits like a mack truck but doesn't cover.

I think his career imploded largely due to the move to the 3-4 and being asked to do more in coverage as opposed to playing in the box. Which is what he does really well.

Errant Hothy
03-05-2009, 11:15 AM
If we were still playing Richard Smith defense would've been a perfect fit. Guy hits like a mack truck but doesn't cover.

I think his career imploded largely due to the move to the 3-4 and being asked to do more in coverage as opposed to playing in the box. Which is what he does really well.

He used to hit like a Mack, now he just sucks.

swtbound07
03-05-2009, 12:12 PM
I wouldn't mind putting him in the box as a situational safety in run support....couple him with a ballhawk in centerfield and you could be okay.

Ckw
03-05-2009, 06:39 PM
What would you guys think about us giving Roy Williams (SS not WR) a look? I really believe that if used correctly, similar to how the Colts use Bob Sanders, he could still be a very good SS. Should we give him a look?

gary
03-05-2009, 06:43 PM
No and I doubt we will.

False Start
03-05-2009, 06:54 PM
It ain't happening. Hes been exposed and just isn't that good IMO.

Ckw
03-05-2009, 06:57 PM
I understand everyone's feelings and yes, he is awful in coverage, but I also think a lot of it has to do with how the Cowgirls have been using him. They constantly tried dropping him back into coverage instead of allowing him to be like a deep roving LB. I personally believe he would be a good compliment to Eugene Wilson.

gary
03-05-2009, 07:05 PM
I say draft one.

Spled
03-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Still one of the nastiest hitters in the league. I say sign him. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF_57tlmPLg

euro-Texan
03-05-2009, 08:43 PM
I wouldn't know. I haven't watched a cowboys game since we played them last. (and I won't watch another one until we play them again)

Ryan
03-05-2009, 09:06 PM
I say give him a shot if we got him for a cheap price.

PHAROAH
03-05-2009, 10:28 PM
We need a Strong Safety bad he has gone to 5 pro bowls over the past 7 seasons and he is only 28 years old. I think as the cowboys changed from 4-3 defense to a 3-4 defense the scheme didn't fit his style of play. Roy is better suited to play in 4-3 attacking style defense and yes I think he still has a lot left in the tank I say bring him in for a look.

infantrycak
03-05-2009, 10:39 PM
We need a Strong Safety bad he has gone to 5 pro bowls over the past 7 seasons and he is only 28 years old. I think as the cowboys changed from 4-3 defense to a 3-4 defense the scheme didn't fit his style of play. Roy is better suited to play in 4-3 attacking style defense and yes I think he still has a lot left in the tank I say bring him in for a look.

Roy is better suited to play as a WLB and we already have a young slightly undersized WLB. We don't play (at least so far) conventional in the box SS and roaming FS. We play almost interchangeable and that ain't Williams. OD would lick his chops at the idea of RW trying to cover him.

Specnatz
03-06-2009, 12:39 AM
Can I file this under who cares catagory?

Marcus
03-06-2009, 01:11 AM
With all the screaming you guys do about not having safety with coverage skills, and you want bring in Roy Williams? :crazy:

He may be good with the horse-collar, but he can't cover the toilet lid with his own ass.