PDA

View Full Version : "Insight" into Strength coach

barrett
03-02-2009, 04:56 PM
Ray Wright the new strength and conditioning coach promoted up from within speaks on HT.com

Does any of this mean anything to anybody? "Movement patterns"?

Dude is INTENSE! ....

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv/index.asp?mm_file_id=3044&play_clip=Y

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

dalemurphy
03-02-2009, 05:34 PM
Ray Wright the new strength and conditioning coach promoted up from within speaks on HT.com

Dude is INTENSE! ....

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

He's not going to make money as a motivational speaker... that's for sure.

Ole Miss Texan
03-02-2009, 05:41 PM
I stopped watching when I fell asleep.

alphajoker
03-02-2009, 06:25 PM
He looked nervous...maybe he's a little camera shy.

bah007
03-02-2009, 07:24 PM
I could care less about his public speaking abilities as long as he gets that weightroom rocking.

Texan4Ever
03-02-2009, 07:34 PM
I think Ray Wright is a different guy. people have a perception that HCs and Strength coaches scream and holer but there are guys in the league that don't do that. For example, former Colts HC Tony Dungy was not one of those "scream and holer :scarygirl:" guys and his players still produced.

I like what he has to say that the workout is more important then how many reps or weights you can bench. I think he will focus on creating a program to suit every players individual needs. Only time will tell how is program is working out but regardless I wish this guy good luck...

CloakNNNdagger
03-02-2009, 08:06 PM
I stopped watching when I fell asleep.

Evidently, the same effect on his personal secretary while she was trying to transcribe his interview.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2369/2536115479_768a75eb38.jpg

Texanmike02
03-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Evidently, the same effect on his personal secretary while she was trying to transcribe his interview.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2369/2536115479_768a75eb38.jpg

Wow, not a bad secretary.

bah007
03-02-2009, 08:14 PM
Wow, not a bad secretary.

I would hire her.

Texans_Chick
03-02-2009, 08:14 PM

Dude is INTENSE! ....

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Movement patterns--I think what he means the patterns that they do to prepare them for what their skill is on the field. So, WR run patterns in a certain way, and quarterbacks practice the way they step back and throw. You work on the movements specific to your activity on the field. At least that's what it showed in the old S&C book that they had.

The Pencil Neck
03-02-2009, 08:36 PM

Dude is INTENSE! ....

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I haven't watched this yet, but I'm pretty sure he's talking about working out with movements that mimic the real world movements the athletes make. You want to mimic the recruitment patterns that athletes make to train the muscles to recruit in certain ways.

This is why a lot of people don't like the bench press because it's training the muscles to move in a way that don't really mimic very many "real world" actions. An incline bench makes more sense because that's closer to the same angle that the arms make to the body while blocking or while getting off a block.

This is a really great idea. Unfortunately, it's also something that Riley said and then didn't actually follow through on.

Old School
03-03-2009, 04:37 AM
I haven't watched this yet, but I'm pretty sure he's talking about working out with movements that mimic the real world movements the athletes make. You want to mimic the recruitment patterns that athletes make to train the muscles to recruit in certain ways.

This is why a lot of people don't like the bench press because it's training the muscles to move in a way that don't really mimic very many "real world" actions. An incline bench makes more sense because that's closer to the same angle that the arms make to the body while blocking or while getting off a block.

This is a really great idea. Unfortunately, it's also something that Riley said and then didn't actually follow through on.

Be careful, you just might call down the wrath of RJ.

Malloy
03-03-2009, 06:59 AM
I would hire her.

I would... uhm.. hire her too :)

barrett
03-03-2009, 06:51 PM
Thanks gym smarts people.

barrett
03-14-2009, 09:53 PM
tonight on HT.com there is an interview with biscuit brisel and hes talking about "the new system" they're using. he says they're getting out of their comfort zones so things appear to actually be different.

also, have a look at David Anderson next to Mario Williams!

Wolf
05-30-2009, 01:58 PM
here was rileys routine
http://www.scribd.com/doc/3025966/Houston-Texans-Lifting-and-Conditioning-Program

Texans_Chick
05-30-2009, 02:15 PM
My most recent blog post (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2009/05/seen_and_heard_at_houston_texa.html) talks about Texans All Access a little, but I have some brief mention of some gossip relating to the strength program:

One reason I like going to All Access is that I get to see a ton of people I know, from fans to players and people who work for the team. (And now readers of the blog too--you know who you are).

I received very complimentary feedback from people with the Texans who read the blog regularly. They believe that I try to be fair, try to analyze things without gratuitous cheap shots, and am pretty reasonable. However.....

Quite a number people wanted to express to me the same thing (all said independently and without me bringing it up as a point of discussion):

Though they really think strength and conditioning coach Ray Wright does a nice job and they very much like him personally, they believe it was a mistake not to extend the contract of Dan Riley. They believe that Riley did a magnificent job trying to keep players healthy while making them stronger, and did a particularly good job in rehabilitating injured players. That a lot is misunderstood publicly about Riley's work and philosophies, and that by trying to talk about it on the blog, I may have oversimplified things to the point of inaccuracy.

So there ya go. I put that there as "for what it's worth gossip" because it is anonymous, and I have no ability to contact members of the Texans for official comment. (And I'm pretty certain that even if I had that ability, they would not want to talk about this anyway).

Wolf
05-30-2009, 02:23 PM
here was rileys routine
http://www.scribd.com/doc/3025966/Houston-Texans-Lifting-and-Conditioning-Program

page 5 talked about supplements.. who was it that got busted inadvertently, not because of steriods but because a supplement contained a banned substance?

I know a bunch of friends I should email this to ... lot of them depend on supplements to lose weight instead of doing the old fashion, eat right and exersize

RipTraxx
05-30-2009, 03:12 PM
You can tell that he's not good in front of a camera, rocking back and forth and his lil hand gestures....LOL.

Plenty of great coaches werent good in front of a camera so don't take it to seriously.

Texans_Chick
05-31-2009, 07:19 AM
here was rileys routine

That is an older document that I understand has been updated. Have not seen the updated version.

CloakNNNdagger
05-31-2009, 09:02 AM
So many year in year out injuries in the offseason, preseason and season led to a changing of the guard. (note, I left out "post season," a period which we never got to prove or disprove:mcnugget:) Granted, some injuries were due to "freak" accidents, but a majority were not. Some seasons, it seemed that we were playing out "Last Man Standing." Even some freak accidents can be "tolerated" better and degree of resultant injury lessened with better strength/conditioning.

aj of the Examiner reported on the differences between Riley's and Wright's philosophies (gained through an interview with Brooke Bentley):

To summarize the S&C program changes Bentley has shared in this and in previous articles, over the next six weeks Texans players will experience:

*A focus on muscle isolation instead of just gaining strength to stay healthy

*A concept called muscle confusion

*A re-designed weight room with more free weight stations and fewer machines

*A focus on football movements

*Yoga and Jiu Jitsu classes to increase flexibility

*A change in warm up routines

The net effect of these changes may not be known for months. Obviously not every injury can be prevented, but Wright and his players appear to be optimistic and excited about the changes.

[THE EXAMINER] (http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houston-Texans-Examiner~y2009m4d6-Ray-Wright-puts-his-stamp-on-Texans-strength-and-conditioning-program)

steelbtexan
05-31-2009, 11:44 AM
I will bet that these changes in the workout prgram (Yoga and Jiu Jitsu in particular) will lead to less injuries this year.

The Pencil Neck
05-31-2009, 04:00 PM
here was rileys routine

There's a lot of stuff in here that I don't agree with from a training standpoint. Especially wrt isolation training and how certain types of training translate into improved athletic performance, but overall, it was better than I expected. From looking at his references, it looks like he did most of his research during the 70's and 80's and based his approach on that. Part of my knock on Riley is that he hadn't kept up to date with his research.

I also didn't like that he based part of his nutrition approach on the work of Covert Bailey. That's just a bad idea. That's about the same as basing your nutrition ideas on Atkins or Ornish.

I would have liked to have seen his later stuff to see if he started to get more up-to-date with his research before he was let go.

otisbean
06-01-2009, 07:38 AM
Lets be honest with regard to injuries, football is a violent game and some injuries cannot be avoided, I don't care what you do in the weight room. If a giant 300+ LB DT dives at your knee or falls on top of you with all the weight coming down on your shoulder, you are going to get hurt.

THe injuries that can be helped in the weight room are things like muscle strains and things of that nature. THe stronger the muscle the more force it can absorb and the more resistant to strains it becomes. Stretching is great and should be done regularly, but it doesn't help prevent injuries as much as some think.

I haven't looked at Wrights material but from the recaps it sounds decent. If he is the one talking about muscle isolation, that would be concerning as that is not how the body works. THe body works in functional groups, and this is where movement patterns come into play. There is a proper order to how muscle groups are recruited while performing movements. This can be improved or disrupted depending on how the individual trains.

Honestly these guys are such freaky athletes that almost anything will work with them. There is a saying in the strength and conditioning community that the fastest way to become an excellent coach is to work with excellent athletes.

Specnatz
06-01-2009, 09:43 AM
Lets be honest with regard to injuries, football is a violent game and some injuries cannot be avoided, I don't care what you do in the weight room. If a giant 300+ LB DT dives at your knee or falls on top of you with all the weight coming down on your shoulder, you are going to get hurt.

THe injuries that can be helped in the weight room are things like muscle strains and things of that nature. THe stronger the muscle the more force it can absorb and the more resistant to strains it becomes. Stretching is great and should be done regularly, but it doesn't help prevent injuries as much as some think.

I haven't looked at Wrights material but from the recaps it sounds decent. If he is the one talking about muscle isolation, that would be concerning as that is not how the body works. THe body works in functional groups, and this is where movement patterns come into play. There is a proper order to how muscle groups are recruited while performing movements. This can be improved or disrupted depending on how the individual trains.

Honestly these guys are such freaky athletes that almost anything will work with them. There is a saying in the strength and conditioning community that the fastest way to become an excellent coach is to work with excellent athletes.

Those are not the injuries people are talking about. when the teams leads the league in injuries (All Injuries) two years in a row something has to change. Even if you change just for perception or to give people more confidence that what you are doing is going to prevent some of the injuries.

scourge
06-01-2009, 11:04 AM
Quote:
To summarize the S&C program changes Bentley has shared in this and in previous articles, over the next six weeks Texans players will experience:

*A focus on muscle isolation instead of just gaining strength to stay healthy

*A concept called muscle confusion

*A re-designed weight room with more free weight stations and fewer machines

*A focus on football movements

*Yoga and Jiu Jitsu classes to increase flexibility

*A change in warm up routines

The net effect of these changes may not be known for months. Obviously not every injury can be prevented, but Wright and his players appear to be optimistic and excited about the changes.

Even though I had heard of this previously, I can't help now thinking about P90X whenever I hear this...

Vinny
06-01-2009, 11:07 AM
Those are not the injuries people are talking about. when the teams leads the league in injuries (All Injuries) two years in a row something has to change. Even if you change just for perception or to give people more confidence that what you are doing is going to prevent some of the injuries.one of the problems building a 'finesse' football team is that your guys probably get hurt more, or at worst manhandled more often in close quarters. We had a smallish front-7 and didn't have 'smashmouth' size on our Offensive line. I think some of that comes from having consistently smaller athletes on our side of the ball.

CloakNNNdagger
06-01-2009, 11:44 AM
one of the problems building a 'finesse' football team is that your guys probably get hurt more, or at worst manhandled more often in close quarters. We had a smallish front-7 and didn't have 'smashmouth' size on our Offensive line. I think some of that comes from having consistently smaller athletes on our side of the ball.

But, on the other hand, the premise of the ZBS is based on "deflection" of your opponent.....not head to head challenge. And, Vinny, I remember quite a few injuries during no-pad drills and during OTAs and TCs where intra-squad of relatively equal-sized lines went against each other.

The Pencil Neck
06-01-2009, 12:12 PM

Riley, the previous trainer, was all about muscle isolation with a little use of multi-joint movements. He claimed that there was very little strength crossover from doing things like olympic lifts or strongman types of movements (like car pushing or tire flipping.) And that was a huge area where I disagreed with him. I also disagreed with how he scheduled training. He beleived in basically doing the same things in season and off season. Personally, I believe if you've got all that extra recovery ability off-season, you might as well take advantage of it and if you've got less recovery ability in-season, you should back off. But that's just me.

But the re-design of the weight room to have more free weights and fewer machines seems to be a movement away from isolation exercises. So I was assuming that first bullet-point was actually wrong. I'm hoping so.

otisbean
06-02-2009, 07:47 AM
Those are not the injuries people are talking about. when the teams leads the league in injuries (All Injuries) two years in a row something has to change. Even if you change just for perception or to give people more confidence that what you are doing is going to prevent some of the injuries.

What injuries are people talking about? Just curious

otisbean
06-02-2009, 07:51 AM
Riley, the previous trainer, was all about muscle isolation with a little use of multi-joint movements. He claimed that there was very little strength crossover from doing things like olympic lifts or strongman types of movements (like car pushing or tire flipping.) And that was a huge area where I disagreed with him. I also disagreed with how he scheduled training. He beleived in basically doing the same things in season and off season. Personally, I believe if you've got all that extra recovery ability off-season, you might as well take advantage of it and if you've got less recovery ability in-season, you should back off. But that's just me.

But the re-design of the weight room to have more free weights and fewer machines seems to be a movement away from isolation exercises. So I was assuming that first bullet-point was actually wrong. I'm hoping so.

I thought maybe I misread the isolation comment. I know that is how Riley operated. You can generally do most of the same things during the season and maintain recovery ability by reducing volume. I would think as guys get beat up certain things would have to be skipped over. Generally speaking though I too disagreed with alot of what I saw from Riley. I know why he did what he did but I don't agree with the style of training at all. Hopefully Wright helps us achieve more success.

Peace

CloakNNNdagger
06-02-2009, 07:52 AM
What injuries are people talking about? Just curious

Groin, hammy, quad........etc. plus heat and endurance related conditioning issues to mention some.

Specnatz
06-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Groin, hammy, quad........etc. plus heat and endurance related conditioning issues to mention some.

What he said.

otisbean
06-03-2009, 07:57 AM
If you read my original post, I said muscle pulls and strains can be helped in the weight room. Heat issues can be tough to overcome. Some guys just seem to have them despite conditioning level.