PDA

View Full Version : Lost a friend over the Dallas Cowboys...

Dread-Head
03-01-2009, 10:23 PM
Three years ago I said how Emmit and some of the Cowboys of the 90's weren't in the same class as Stabauch and the Cowboys of the 70's. My then friend Patrick (who thinks of the Cowboys as his extended family) DEMANDED an apology. When I gave what I considered an apology he told me (through a 3rd party) I wasn't humble enough. He demanded a second apology, but it had to be very public and I had to grovel more.
I said that a REAL friend wouldn't ask me to grovel and would accept my apology. He and I haven't spoken since. I extended some olive branches and each time I was ignored, but always hoped that our friendship of 15 years would be reconciled.
Earlier today I had lunch with a mutual friend and was informed that my estranged friend Patrick is now my FORMER friend Patrick as he's effectively said I'm "Dead" to him. Wow a 15 year friendship thrown away over a game and a bunch of millionaires who would charge him to piss on him were he on fire. My attitute is "VUGG 'EM...LET HIM ROT." Am I wrong for that?

stingray
03-01-2009, 10:30 PM
Three years ago I said how Emmit and some of the Cowboys of the 90's weren't in the same class as Stabauch and the Cowboys of the 70's. My then friend Patrick (who thinks of the Cowboys as his extended family) DEMANDED an apology. When I gave what I considered an apology he told me (through a 3rd party) I wasn't humble enough. He demanded a second apology, but it had to be very public and I had to grovel more.
I said that a REAL friend wouldn't ask me to grovel and would accept my apology. He and I haven't spoken since. I extended some olive branches and each time I was ignored, but always hoped that our friendship of 15 years would be reconciled.
Earlier today I had lunch with a mutual friend and was informed that my estranged friend Patrick is now my FORMER friend Patrick as he's effectively said I'm "Dead" to him. Wow a 15 year friendship thrown away over a game and a bunch of millionaires who would charge him to piss on him were he on fire. My attitute is "VUGG 'EM...LET HIM ROT." Am I wrong for that?

Are you sure there isn't another issue under the surface? I mean, I love football as much as the next guy but for him to throw away a 15 year frienship for a football argument? Maybe he's mad at something else you did. But if that is all he is mad about then let him be. You did nothing worng, you just stated an opinion.

BSofA04
03-01-2009, 10:33 PM
Tell him that when he decides to stop acting like a Jonas brothers loving-teenage girl you'd consider reconciliation. Sorry man, but your buddy sounds like he takes pleasure in knowing that he can hang that event over your head which makes him a douche in my book.

Dread-Head
03-01-2009, 10:37 PM
Are you sure there isn't another issue under the surface? I mean, I love football as much as the next guy but for him to throw away a 15 year frienship for a football argument? Maybe he's mad at something else you did. But if that is all he is mad about then let him be. You did nothing worng, you just stated an opinion.

1. This guy declared another guy "persona non grata" after Tom Landry died, because the dude told him. "He was a great football coach man, but you didn't know the man personally dude. Get over it."

2. This man once lost a job because when the Cowboys lose a game he's in "Mourning" until Wednesday and didn't go to work.

3. He doesn't answer his phone on game day.

4. Has said "I live and die on every play."

5. and has said that were he a doctor on call when Joe Montana, Jerry Rice or any former 9er showed up in an emergency room bleeding to death...he'd sit back and watch them die.

Dread-Head
03-01-2009, 10:39 PM
Tell him that when he decides to stop acting like a Jonas brothers loving-teenage girl you'd consider reconciliation. Sorry man, but your buddy sounds like he takes pleasure in knowing that he can hang that event over your head which makes him a douche in my book.

He's not talking to me. Besides...VUGG IT! Ending our friendship was his decision not mine, I'm just being Pontius Pilate on this one. I'm washing my hands of the guy.

stingray
03-01-2009, 10:41 PM
My Fathers side of the family are almost all Oklahoma State University Alumni. My uncle (Fathers Brother) got in argument with his cousin, an OU grad in the parking lot after an OU/OSU game. Well, they almost came to blows and both said that they would never speak to each other again. Well, they pretty much haven't spoken to each other since that game. They only acknowledge each other at family reunions. The sad thing is that this game was played in the mid-1950's.

WesmanTexanfan
03-01-2009, 10:41 PM

Lame, to be bothered that much by an opinion as unoffensive and true as that....

Im with ray on that maybe its somthing else, some kinnd of misinterpretation.

stingray
03-01-2009, 10:42 PM
1. This guy declared another guy "persona non grata" after Tom Landry died, because the dude told him. "He was a great football coach man, but you didn't know the man personally dude. Get over it."

2. This man once lost a job because when the Cowboys lose a game he's in "Mourning" until Wednesday and didn't go to work.

3. He doesn't answer his phone on game day.

4. Has said "I live and die on every play."

5. and has said that were he a doctor on call when Joe Montana, Jerry Rice or any former 9er showed up in an emergency room bleeding to death...he'd sit back and watch them die.

LOL!!! I think the guy has some issues. I wouldn't worry a bit if I was you.

Jackie Chiles
03-01-2009, 10:46 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/media/pg2/2002/0829/photo/deniro.jpg

Is your friend the one on the left?

Dread-Head
Lame, to be bothered that much by an opinion as unoffensive and true as that....

Im with ray on that maybe its somthing else, some kinnd of misinterpretation.

Again...the man lost a JOB because he would miss two or three days of work when the Cowboys lost a game.

WesmanTexanfan
He's not talking to me. Besides...VUGG IT! Ending our friendship was his decision not mine, I'm just being Pontius Pilate on this one. I'm washing my hands of the guy.

nm
Edit: guy needs some help..

Dread-Head
03-01-2009, 10:48 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/media/pg2/2002/0829/photo/deniro.jpg

Is your friend the one on the left?

think MORE delusional...

Mailman
03-01-2009, 10:51 PM
Sounds like your ex-friend has his priorities just a wee bit out of whack.

Dread-Head
03-01-2009, 10:53 PM
nm
Edit: guy needs some help..

I've attempted to talk to him. He stopped taking my phone calls and blocked my email. I've extended olive branches and they were ignored. The Pilate thing I see as a good analogy. Pilate had nothing against Jesus and was attempting to convince Ciaphas and the Pharaises to release but they wouldn't let it go.
Ciaphas convinced a mob to free Barabbas and to crucify Jesus...and Pilate let it be known that Jesus' crucifixion was NOT his choice.

WesmanTexanfan
03-01-2009, 10:55 PM
I've attempted to talk to him. He stopped taking my phone calls and blocked my email. I've extended olive branches and they were ignored. The Pilate thing I see as a good analogy. Pilate had nothing against Jesus and was attempting to convince Ciaphas and the Pharaises to release but they wouldn't let it go.
Ciaphas convinced a mob to free Barabbas and to crucify Jesus...and Pilate let it be known that Jesus' crucifixion was NOT his choice.

But he didn't stop it, he let it happen...

I dont want this to turn theological, there is a small similarity, Ill give you that...

GuerillaBlack
03-01-2009, 11:23 PM
Does he have any females in his life?

Dread-Head
03-01-2009, 11:25 PM
does he have any females in his life?

No! Thing is, he's attracted to superficial bimbos...and he has spina bifida and for some reason stupid, superficial types can't see themselves dating a handicapped guy no matter how cool he is. One needs some degree of depth to see the inner person and the fact that the only women he finds attractive are incapable of stringing two sentences together much less a rational thought he hasn't had a GF in some time.

Stemp
03-01-2009, 11:29 PM
No! Thing is, he's attracted to superficial bimbos...and he has spina bifida and for some reason stupid, superficial types can't see themselves dating a handicapped guy no matter how cool he is. One needs some degree of depth to see the inner person and the fact that the only women he finds attractive are incapable of stringing two sentences together much less a rational thought he hasn't had a GF in some time.

Sounds like you are better off.

spurstexanstros
03-01-2009, 11:42 PM
I have said it a thousand times. Cowboy fans are like roaches...everywhere when there is a feast and no where to be found when the light is turned on.

the raid for cowboy fans is loosing.... frontrunning...blankity blanks....They always say " I cheered for them when they were 1-15" but then you ask them to name 5 players and they get amnesia or name players still in school.

Cowboy fans are true blue all right true blue t-shirt fans.

GP
03-01-2009, 11:50 PM
IMO, you're heaping a lot of responsibility and burden onto yourself that not yours to shoulder.

We have a responsibility TO one another, not FOR one another. At the end of the day, you manned up and apologized. I'd go so far as to say you should not have even apologized.

On the outside, looking in on your situation...your "friend" loves to hold people hostage (emotionally) and he feels empowered by making people grovel at his feet. Even in telling your mutual friend that you're dead to him: He's doing that in order to let you know that he still owns you.

You didn't do anything wrong. You trusted a friend, you gave time/energy/emotional effort to your friend, and he turned it onto you for the reward of trying to compensate for his personal challenges.

Contrast this with a guy like Gary, a poster on this board, who has cerebal palsy (IIRC). He is hustling and making a difference in people's lives. He's taking his life to a level that most normal people can't. That's a guy to admire. That's someone to have relationship with, IMO.

I am sorry you got burned. Move on, knowing that you sincerely tried. And don't even bring up his name to your mutual friends. And refuse to let your mutual friends pass along messages from your former "friend." You owe it to yourself, not to pay him back--To pay yourself back for extending a hand getting it gnawed off to a bloody stump.

You should read a book entitled "Boundaries." It talks about how we should set boundaries with people, like a city wall in ancient times. I think you'd see that you might be prone to letting too many questionable "friends" into your city. Best of luck to you.

WesmanTexanfan
03-01-2009, 11:56 PM
This guy is going to go many years without a Cowboys Championship, and probably many more without a life. I hope he realizes sooner than later whats Important.

GuerillaBlack
03-02-2009, 12:03 AM

You're better off not hanging around this dude then. He probably masturbates to pictures of Michael Irvin.

Ckw
03-02-2009, 12:06 AM
You're better off not hanging around this dude then. He probably masturbates to pictures of Michael Irvin.

:spit: Haha! Best post of the thread. Too true. Dread, this guy sounds like a nut. Let it go. You are better off not having people like this in your life.

Texaninlild
03-02-2009, 12:37 AM
That might be the weakest and dumbest shit to end a friendship I have ever heard. This person was really never a friend.

Blazing Arrow
03-02-2009, 01:07 AM
Does he have any females in his life?

Sounds more like he is a female ... no offense females.

Specnatz
03-02-2009, 02:20 AM
Sounds more like he is a female ... no offense females.

Insult all females then say no offense, do you ever think before you say or type anything? Seriously, grow up and be an adult at some point.

PapaL
03-02-2009, 06:50 AM

must spread rep blah blah blah

PapaL
03-02-2009, 06:52 AM
This isn't a friend. Friends fight, argue and reconsille.

No matter how entertaining this is for the rest of us, stop wasting your time. This guy has some serious mental issues to go with his physical limitations as well.

Grams
03-02-2009, 07:16 AM
To get that "carried away" over a game/team, this guy has some serious problems.

It is all on him and not you. He needs a shrink, desperately.

TimeKiller
03-02-2009, 08:58 AM
**** the cowboys, this dude sounds a little left of crazy.

If any of my friend demanded an apology over something stupid (or actually got one and then turned it down) I would just kick 'em squaaah in the nut. Revenge is where it's at. Maybe some...Texans logo spray painted on his house/cars...

HoustonFrog
03-02-2009, 09:10 AM
As most here know, I am a massive Cowboy fan and have been for 35 years or whenever I could pay attention to football. However, over the years you realize that it is a game in general and although it may make you upset and that there are haters, it all still boils down to a big case of "who the eff cares." That is one reason why I enjoy it here and find it entertainting to talk Cowboys here and Texans. None of it offends me unless people take it so serioulsy they get personal. Its a sport that you can be passionate about but you shouldn't take it too far into personal relationships and should show respect. So my point is,...your friend wasn't a friend you need if the Cowboys and sports in general became the sticking point.

Texan_Bill
03-02-2009, 10:01 AM
As most here know, I am a massive Cowboy fan and have been for 35 years or whenever I could pay attention to football. However, over the years you realize that it is a game in general and although it may make you upset and that there are haters, it all still boils down to a big case of "who the eff cares." That is one reason why I enjoy it here and find it entertainting to talk Texans here and cowboys. None of it offends me unless people take it so serioulsy they get personal. Its a sport that you can be passionate about but you shouldn't take it too far into personal relationships and should show respect. So my point is,...your friend wasn't a friend you need if the Cowboys and sports in general became the sticking point.

Had to fix the emphasis to the Texans.

Hardcore Texan
03-02-2009, 10:10 AM
Dread, I am with everyone else on this. He doesn't sound like he was much of a friend in the first place. You got nothing to feel bad about, wash your hands of him and move on. You try to make it right, and it didn't work out, it's his hang ups that ended the friendship. Dude has serious issues.

SheTexan
03-02-2009, 10:40 AM
Dread! Your ex friend has more issues than meets the eye. He has a physical handicap that reminds him daily of what he can NEVER be, a pro football player!! Probably living a fantasy that has altered all his reasoning when it comes to his favorite football team. He still made a choice that allowed unhealthy thinking to overpower any hint of common sense. The way I see it you have no choice. Just let it go and let him take the next step. If the friendship meant anything at all to him, he will revive it.

DBCooper
03-02-2009, 10:57 AM
Dude, your friend is an I-d-i-o-t.

I have friends who are Titans fans (gasp), and there is no way any comment I or they could say would change our friendship.

Better off without that kind of person in your life.

Ole Miss Texan
03-02-2009, 11:15 AM

Maybe we should start referring to you as "Dead-Head". :tiphat:

Supposedly, the league is trying to cut costs by just using a player's mug shot for the picture on each Cowboy's player page.
http://www.thesportstruth.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/michael-irvin-mug-shot.jpg

HoustonFrog
03-02-2009, 11:26 AM
Maybe we should start referring to you as "Dead-Head". :tiphat:

Supposedly, the league is trying to cut costs by just using a player's mug shot for the picture on each Cowboy's player page.
http://www.thesportstruth.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/michael-irvin-mug-shot.jpg

Dude, that is so not fresh..lol

Double Barrel
03-02-2009, 11:28 AM
I've attempted to talk to him. He stopped taking my phone calls and blocked my email. I've extended olive branches and they were ignored.

With 'friends' like that, who needs enemas?!

Dude sounds like a chump. You're better off forgetting about this guy. :howdy:

Texecutioner
03-02-2009, 11:48 AM

This is a pretty funny story Dread. Sounds like a typical Cowboy fan and it's stuff like this which are the reason why their fan base gets laughed at as much as they do. A guy is no longer your friend because you guys share a different opinion about an NFL team? It sounds like your EX friend needs something else to live for other than being obsessed with the most embarrassing team in the NFL.

StarStruck
03-02-2009, 11:52 AM

Being a Cowboys fan sounds like the excuse he's using to mask other emotional issues. If it weren't a sports team, it would be something else. Perhaps some of the self-help books such as co-dependency or something could help, otherwise counseling. However, if you have been guilty of beating him over the head about his team of choice for the last 15 years, perhaps he has become tired of the constant browbeating. (j/k)

HoustonFrog
03-02-2009, 11:56 AM
This is a pretty funny story Dread. Sounds like a typical Cowboy fan and it's stuff like this which are the reason why their fan base gets laughed at as much as they do. A guy is no longer your friend because you guys share a different opinion about an NFL team? It sounds like your EX friend needs something else to live for other than being obsessed with the most embarrassing team in the NFL.

Again, gratuitous and pretty much untrue. The guy is a piece of work and is a rarity for any sport or team if the guy lets stuff like this affect his life. I doubt it is a Cowboy thing and is more of an emotinally unstable douche type thing.

Dread-Head
03-02-2009, 11:56 AM
I have said it a thousand times. Cowboy fans are like roaches...everywhere when there is a feast and no where to be found when the light is turned on.

the raid for cowboy fans is loosing.... frontrunning...blankity blanks....They always say " I cheered for them when they were 1-15" but then you ask them to name 5 players and they get amnesia or name players still in school.

Cowboy fans are true blue all right true blue t-shirt fans.

No. This guy's LIFE is the Dallas Cowboys. He can name EVERY guy on the roster...in EVERY POSITION. he can list every guy who's ever started OR played second string for the Cowboys in their entire HISTORY. He can give you a play by play FROM MEMORY of every Superbowl they played in win or lost. He hates the Texans because he was dumb enough to show up at the innagural game wearing an Emmit Smith jersey and had his NOSE rubbed in it.
I will say the man has some mental issues, but I won't call him a fair weather fan.

TimeKiller
03-02-2009, 12:03 PM
I will say the man has some mental issues, but I won't call him a fair weather fan.

Sounds like a bad-weather fan.

?

That didn't even make sense....

...but neither does this guy, so it fits?

Texecutioner
03-02-2009, 12:04 PM
Again, gratuitous and pretty much untrue. The guy is a piece of work and is a rarity for any sport or team if the guy lets stuff like this affect his life. I doubt it is a Cowboy thing and is more of an emotinally unstable douche type thing.

Sorry, but Cowboys fans have reputations like this all over the place. The fan base is known for being very band wagonish, front running, and homerish. They are typically some of the loudest fans when it comes to bragging, but they are nowhere to be found when the Cowboys lose. I talk to tons of them all of the time. I've listened to tons of them try and tell me that TO has changed for two straight years now, and anyone that would think that after that Philly debacle doesn't get taken seriously from me. Many of them argued and argued for Pac Man Jones as well. At the end of the day Frog you're not surprised by any of this. THis is nothing new.

Texan_Bill
03-02-2009, 12:14 PM
No. This guy's LIFE is the Dallas Cowboys. He can name EVERY guy on the roster...in EVERY POSITION. he can list every guy who's ever started OR played second string for the Cowboys in their entire HISTORY. He can give you a play by play FROM MEMORY of every Superbowl they played in win or lost. He hates the Texans because he was dumb enough to show up at the innagural game wearing an Emmit Smith jersey and had his NOSE rubbed in it.

Cowboy fan? Mental issues?? Kind of redundant, no?? ;)

[well, just the opinion of this black man!]

Dread-Head
03-02-2009, 12:15 PM
Being a Cowboys fan sounds like the excuse he's using to mask other emotional issues. If it weren't a sports team, it would be something else. Perhaps some of the self-help books such as co-dependency or something could help, otherwise counseling. However, if you have been guilty of beating him over the head about his team of choice for the last 15 years, perhaps he has become tired of the constant browbeating. (j/k)

Honestly all who KNOW him know how serious he is about his team. He is VERY thin skinned about the Cowboys so no one really says anything disparaging about them to him I was no exception. If you go to Myspace and find my alter ego "Jesse The FALCON...of the Ice!!!" and check my blogs, you can read the offending blog in question and judge for yourself.
I offered an apology but this man felt it wasn't obsequious enough. Like I said, this cat ended a friendship with another guy for telling him that coach Landry wasn't a friend of his and that he should "get over" his death.

Dread-Head
03-02-2009, 12:20 PM
Sorry, but Cowboys fans have reputations like this all over the place. The fan base is known for being very band wagonish, front running, and homerish. They are typically some of the loudest fans when it comes to bragging, but they are nowhere to be found when the Cowboys lose. I talk to tons of them all of the time. I've listened to tons of them try and tell me that TO has changed for two straight years now, and anyone that would think that after that Philly debacle doesn't get taken seriously from me. Many of them argued and argued for Pac Man Jones as well. At the end of the day Frog you're not surprised by any of this. THis is nothing new.

Hey. This cat STILL hates T.O. and feels the only way for T.O. to redeem himself for the "Star Incident" at Texas Stadium would be for him to help the Cowboys win TWO Superbowls. I kid you not, the man said Terrell Owens would have to help the Cowboys win two superbowls before he could forgive him for standing in the middle of that star at midfeild.

Dread-Head
03-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Cowboy fan? Mental issues?? Kind of redundant, no?? ;)

[well, just the opinion of this black man!]

You're nuts Bill...and that's coming from a 1/2 Eskimo 1/2 Ethnic Albanian...with Japanese tendencies.

Ckw
03-02-2009, 12:34 PM
This guy just sounds like a drama queen, Dread. Did I read that right that he wanted you to give a public apology? I mean if a sincere apology in which you promise to do your best to not make fun of the Cowboys doesn't work (as stupid as that is given it's a sports team!!!) then eff him.

He just wants to humiliate and embarrass you because he feels embarrassed because all his emotional satisfaction and self esteem are tied to the success of the Cowboys. If they are doing crappy, he feels crappy. If they are dominating, he feels like the king of the world. He simply wants to make you feel like crap because he feels like crap. Good job for not falling into it.

Carr Bombed
03-02-2009, 12:35 PM
You're nuts Bill...and that's coming from a 1/2 Eskimo 1/2 Ethnic Albanian...with Japanese tendencies.

Well I'm half Irish, 1/4 native American, with a little german and god knows what else thrown into the mix (Only in america)..(pretty hot headed :))..and all asian tendencies, but that doesn't really have anything to do with my bloodlines. I just have a thing for asians.

Carr Bombed
03-02-2009, 12:37 PM
Anyways....confuses once said. "A friend lost over any team up I45 was never true friend at all, just a waste of number on speed dial".

TexanSam
03-02-2009, 12:55 PM
Didn't you post this same story a while back? I swear this sound really familiar.

HoustonFrog
03-02-2009, 01:03 PM

I'm not surprised that people hate on the Cowboys but I am always suprised about the excuse that is because of their fans. I'm not going to rip on people but I think alot of it has to do with people's personal feelings about teams and personal experiences. I mean I've lived here since 1993 and Houston is the worst city I have ever been in as far as being bandwagon and not supporting teams is concerned. I also get talk like yours all the time but don't make broad generalizations as to a whole fan base. Your form of being nasty about the Cowboy fans is the same thing you ***** about when it comes to them. So what good is that. You are just as bad. I just think it is funny because growing up in FW, etc this stuff really never occurred to me until I moved here. It's very one way and very strange considering most Cowboy fans I've known for 35 years are lifers who live and die by them. People say there is a bandwagon mentality...wait until the Texans win and then you'll see every yahoo in town wearing red and blue and acting like they have been there all the time. I think you might run into the talkative type because you are also a talkative type. I personally understand your feelings and you and I get along...but I just don't think it is as black and white or broad as you make it seem.

But I also am a realist and can openly admit the problems of the team and I also have seen SOME of the a-holes that you guys ***** about. I just think those people exist for alot of franchises and are just a vocal minority that get under most fans skin. Believe me, I've been in a room with Skin and Philly fans.:). If you want my honest opinion I think the whole "fan" thing is greatly exaggerated and most people say it because on 3-4 occassions in life they have met the worst of the worst and on other occassions they have also mixed it up by talking junk themselves.

DBCooper
03-02-2009, 01:06 PM
I'm not surprised that people hate on the Cowboys but I am always suprised about the excuse that is because of their fans. I'm not going to rip on people but I think alot of it has to do with people's personal feelings about teams and personal experiences. I mean I've lived here since 1993 and Houston is the worst city I have ever been in as far as being bandwagon and not supporting teams is concerned. I also get talk like yours all the time but don't make broad generalizations as to a whole fan base. Your form of being nasty about the Cowboy fans is the same thing you ***** about when it comes to them. So what good is that. You are just as bad. I just think it is funny because growing up in FW, etc this stuff really never occurred to me until I moved here. It's very one way and very strange considering most Cowboy fans I've known for 35 years are lifers who live and die by them. People say there is a bandwagon mentality...wait until the Texans win and then you'll see every yahoo in town wearing red and blue and acting like they have been there all the time. I think you might run into the talkative type because you are also a talkative type. I personally understand your feelings and you and I get along...but I just don't think it is as black and white or broad as you make it seem.

But I also am a realist and can openly admit the problems of the team and I also have seen SOME of the a-holes that you guys ***** about. I just think those people exist for alot of franchises and are just a vocal minority that get under most fans skin. Believe me, I've been in a room with Skin and Philly fans.:). If you want my honest opinion I think the whole "fan" thing is greatly exaggerated and most people say it because on 3-4 occassions in life they have met the worst of the worst and on other occassions they have also mixed it up by talking junk themselves.

Houston is the worst bandwagon town period.

Most people who hate on the Cowboys are jealous.

Texan_Bill
03-02-2009, 01:36 PM

:rolleyes:

Dread-Head
03-02-2009, 01:37 PM
Didn't you post this same story a while back? I swear this sound really familiar.

I mentioned in the past that I was fighting witht the guy over this...he just recently said I'm "dead" to him.

Ckw
03-02-2009, 01:38 PM

Sadly, you are right. I don't think it is necessarily jealousy; it just seems Houston fans, for the most part, don't understand how to really stand behind a team. We can be some of the best fans in the world... when we are winning.

I'm glad I have this message board to be able to communicate with some real fans.

Texan_Bill
03-02-2009, 01:40 PM
Sadly, you are right. I don't think it is necessarily jealousy; it just seems Houston fans, for the most part, don't understand how to really stand behind a team. We can be some of the best fans in the world... when we are winning.

I'm glad I have this message board to be able to communicate with some real fans.

Houstonians do. Transplanted people don't.

Dread-Head
03-02-2009, 01:41 PM

Consider something:

1. How long have the Houston Texans been a franchise?
2.How many play off wins do they have?
3. How many winning seasons have they had?

Most people who consider themselves Texans fans CAN'T by definition be called "bandwagon" as we don't have a bandwagon yet. Also most who trash the Cowboys do so because of experience with Cowboy fans who were MAGNANIMOUS in victory and suspiciously absent in defeat. But that's just the opinion of a guy who avoids his barber.

Texecutioner
03-02-2009, 01:42 PM

That is a flat out joke. The band wagon thing in Houston is way untrue. If Houston fans were such band wagoners we wouldn't even have 3 teams even after losing one.

The Texans ticket sales and support over several horrible seasons completely destroys that whole Houston band wagon garbage. If the fans out here were so band wagonish, then why in the hell would Reliant have so many sold out games for a team that has never even gone past 8-8? How about going to an Astros game and seeing all of the fan support there before calling us a band wagon city.

That assertion is a joke. And as far as anyone being jealous of the Cowboys, I couldn't find anything more hilarious than that. Jealous of a team that employs an attempted murderer and has a guy like TO in that locker room destroying the team year after year? I'd rather root for the Lions any day of the week.

Ckw
03-02-2009, 01:44 PM
Houstonians do. Transplanted people don't.

Yeah. What bugs me though is the number of people we have, for instance at Rockets games, that walk out at the end of the third quarter in a game in which we are winning. There seems to be very little devotion to the team.

Texecutioner
03-02-2009, 01:44 PM

Not true. If that were the case the Texans wouldn't have near the attendance that they do with all of these band wagon Cowboy and Titan fans in this city. We still have a huge fan base in HOuston despite having all of these disappointing seasons.

Texecutioner
03-02-2009, 01:49 PM

Same rhetoric I hear from you in every Cowboys discussion. You fail to understand it every time. I've disliked the Cowboys since Jerry Jones bought the team. Had no idea where he would take them. Didn't like Jerry from the beginning and Idon't respect his ways about trying to win. I wouldn't respect any owner that would have begged and begged the league commish to let Pac Man Jones play for them and then allowed him to continue to play even after he attacked another team employee in a public hotel.

Then you've got players attacking fans as well? If you can't understand why someone would dislike a team when their players are assaulting the fans, then I'm wasting my time.

Texan_Bill
03-02-2009, 01:49 PM
Consider something:

2.How many play off wins do they have?

[in best Arnold Horshack voice] "OOoooooh, Mr. Dread-Head....Ooooooh"

[Mr. Kotter] "yes Horshack"

Horshack: "The Texans have the same amount of playoff wins that the Cowboys do over that same duration".

HoustonFrog
03-02-2009, 01:52 PM
That is a flat out joke. The band wagon thing in Houston is way untrue. If Houston fans were such band wagoners we wouldn't even have 3 teams even after losing one.

The Texans ticket sales and support over several horrible seasons completely destroys that whole Houston band wagon garbage. If the fans out here were so band wagonish, then why in the hell would Reliant have so many sold out games for a team that has never even gone past 8-8? How about going to an Astros game and seeing all of the fan support there before calling us a band wagon city.

That assertion is a joke. And as far as anyone being jealous of the Cowboys, I couldn't find anything more hilarious than that. Jealous of a team that employs an attempted murderer and has a guy like TO in that locker room destroying the team year after year? I'd rather root for the Lions any day of the week.

How long have you been here?It is unfortunately true. Just because Reliant is sold out, doesn't mean that people are at the games. Having 3 teams doesn't mean a thing. This city, even by the best fans, gets called bandwagon. The Astros had horrible attendance at games, even when they made past runs. Then when they made it far it was like EVERYONE was a fan. Same with the Rockets. There were diehards but when I came here and they won the 2 titles the city shut down for games. Then it became a new arena that is half empty. This city has always been like this. The reality is that Houston is a blast and a great sports town to be around when teams are on a roll and winning. Otherwise it is ho-hum until that roll happens.

Same rhetoric I hear from you in every Cowboys discussion. You fail to understand it every time. I've disliked the Cowboys since Jerry Jones bought the team. Had no idea where he would take them. Didn't like Jerry from the beginning and Idon't respect his ways about trying to win. I wouldn't respect any owner that would have begged and begged the league commish to let Pac Man Jones play for them and then allowed him to continue to play even after he attacked another team employee in a public hotel.

Then you've got players attacking fans as well? If you can't understand why someone would dislike a team when their players are assaulting the fans, then I'm wasting my time.

This coming from a guy who says "maybe the Cowboys will sign him" after anyone gets arrested and who hides his head in the sand about the reality of the NFL. At least I'm realistic about my team and the league instead of just being angry, grumpy and hating. EVERY post you use the same lame barbershop incident. When was that?10 years ago or more?You have a very skewed idea of bandwagon and the league itself. It seems more out of pure anger and to bait people than really anything substantial.

Carr Bombed
03-02-2009, 01:56 PM
Yeah. What bugs me though is the number of people we have, for instance at Rockets games, that walk out at the end of the third quarter in a game in which we are winning. There seems to be very little devotion to the team.

Don't mix the coporate whine and diners which your average fan.......the average fan can't afford those seats that are coporate owned.

Dread-Head
03-02-2009, 01:59 PM
[in best Arnold Horshack voice] "OOoooooh, Mr. Dread-Head....Ooooooh"

[Mr. Kotter] "yes Horshack"

Horshack: "The Texans have the same amount of playoff wins that the Cowboys do over that same duration".

For some reason I now have a mental image of Bill sitting between Robert Heyes and Lawrence Hilton Jacobs...John Revolting is on his way out the door to be a "movie star." Unfortunately I don't have photoshop. Can someone photoshop a "Horshak" looking afro onto a pic of bill please?

Texecutioner
03-02-2009, 02:01 PM
How long have you been here?It is unfortunately true. Just because Reliant is sold out, doesn't mean that people are at the games. Having 3 teams doesn't mean a thing. This city, even by the best fans, gets called bandwagon. The Astros had horrible attendance at games, even when they made past runs. Then when they made it far it was like EVERYONE was a fan. Same with the Rockets. There were diehards but when I came here and they won the 2 titles the city shut down for games. Then it became a new arena that is half empty. This city has always been like this.

This coming from a guy who says "maybe the Cowboys will sign him" after anyone gets arrested and who hides his head in the sand about the reality of the NFL. At least I'm realistic about my team and the league instead of just being angry, grumpy and hating. EVERY post you use the same lame barbershop incident. When was that?10 years ago or more?You have a very skewed idea of bandwagon and the league itself. It seems more out of pure anger and to bait people than really anything substantial.

So according to you because the city doesn't shut down when any Houston sports event is on we're a bunch of band wagoners? Sorry, but this is the 4th largest city in the US and people have other things to do. Sports period just isn't that important to everyone. In almost any city if the team is struggling a whole lot, fans aren't going to open up their pocket books big time to go watch a losing team every game.

How long have you been here? I've seen extremely passionate sports fans in this city my entire life. And yes, having 3 teams here or any other city does mean a lot because if the fans didn't support their teams none of these teams would even be here. They would move and when it happened with the Oilers Mcnair didn't look at this city as being a band wagon city and brought a franchise here as soon as he could and has been one of the most profitable owners since then.

Texecutioner
03-02-2009, 02:10 PM
How long have you been here?It is unfortunately true. Just because Reliant is sold out, doesn't mean that people are at the games. Having 3 teams doesn't mean a thing. This city, even by the best fans, gets called bandwagon. The Astros had horrible attendance at games, even when they made past runs. Then when they made it far it was like EVERYONE was a fan. Same with the Rockets. There were diehards but when I came here and they won the 2 titles the city shut down for games. Then it became a new arena that is half empty. This city has always been like this. The reality is that Houston is a blast and a great sports town to be around when teams are on a roll and winning. Otherwise it is ho-hum until that roll happens.

Haven't brought up the barber shop incident one time in this discussion Frog. Now you're making things up because you don't want to face the reality and reasons why other fans don't like the franchise.

And baiting whom? Get over yourself and stop acting like anyone cares who you root for or who you support. If I wanted to bait Cowboys fans I'd go to the Cowboys boards and DO JUST THAT just like Blazing Arrow does in here. You're a Cowboys fan on A TEXANS BOARD whining about why myself and many others can't stand the Cowboys. Get over it, and deal with it or go to the Cowboys boards if you can't handle criticisms of the Cowboys franchise.

And you want to talk about baiting? You want to be the pot or the kettle? You just started a thread like 2 weeks ago where someone got arrested on another team and you attempted to make it about the Cowboys and started up all of this rhetoric and whining about people bashing the Cowboys when it had nothing to do with the organization so don't try playing some victim card in here or "Woe is us" act when you certainly look for these discussions every chance you get and seem to get off to it.

Specnatz
03-02-2009, 02:11 PM
For some reason I now have a mental image of Bill sitting between Robert Heyes and Lawrence Hilton Jacobs...John Revolting is on his way out the door to be a "movie star." Unfortunately I don't have photoshop. Can someone photoshop a "Horshak" looking afro onto a pic of bill please?

I could give Diapher a call :specnatz:

HoustonFrog
03-02-2009, 02:14 PM
So according to you because the city doesn't shut down when any Houston sports event is on we're a bunch of band wagoners? Sorry, but this is the 4th largest city in the US and people have other things to do. Sports period just isn't that important to everyone. In almost any city if the team is struggling a whole lot, fans aren't going to open up their pocket books big time to go watch a losing team every game.

How long have you been here? I've seen extremely passionate sports fans in this city my entire life. And yes, having 3 teams here or any other city does mean a lot because if the fans didn't support their teams none of these teams would even be here. They would move and when it happened with the Oilers Mcnair didn't look at this city as being a band wagon city and brought a franchise here as soon as he could and has been one of the most profitable owners since then.

No, that isn't what I said. Bandwagon by definition is joining the "hot" team when they are hot and going back to life when they aren't relevant. There is a reason why you are the only one here supporting the notion that this city isn't bandwagon....because most sports fans here see it. All of my friends that I went to law school with here are diehard sports fans and 3 of them grew up here and they discuss it all the time and laugh at how, for example the Astros WS run, became this surge of women and men who never thought about sports wearing brand new Astro hats and throwing out Berkman's name like it was their best friend. The stadiums are half empty weekly. It's one thing to be sold out and another to actually support your team or care what they do. Not caring because "they always suck" doesn't cut it. There are diehards here but not throughout the city.

Haven't brought up the barber shop incident one time in this discussion Frog. Now you're making things up because you don't want to face the reality and reasons why other fans don't like the franchise.

And baiting whom? Get over yourself and stop acting like anyone cares who you root for or who you support. If I wanted to bait Cowboys fans I'd go to the Cowboys boards and DO JUST THAT just like Blazing Arrow does in here. You're a Cowboys fan on A TEXANS BOARD whining about why myself and many others can't stand the Cowboys. Get over it, and deal with it or go to the Cowboys boards if you can't handle criticisms of the Cowboys franchise.

And you want to talk about baiting? You want to be the pot or the kettle? You just started a thread like 2 weeks ago where someone got arrested on another team and you attempted to make it about the Cowboys and started up all of this rhetoric and whining about people bashing the Cowboys when it had nothing to do with the organization so don't try playing some victim card in here or "Woe is us" act when you certainly look for these discussions every chance you get and seem to get off to it.

And until the last year or so the only thing I did here was go off topic or talk Texans. It wasn't until recent history of this board that the NFL section became a breeding ground for all things Cowboy hated. I made a joke about a guy being arrested not mentioned because it goes to my point that you only care and blow your horm when it is a Cowboy. Most people got the joke. It's true. 90% of your stuff is your hatred for them. What is funny, is that I write something like I did to DH to start this thread..respectful.. and you went straight into the "ALL Cowboy fans..blah, blah, blah." It's like clockwork. You don't read half the stuff on here. If someone jokes and winks on here and you happen to miss the joke and go ballistic then go have a drink. Since I'm in this forum and can discuss both teams with some civility without trashing the other team, I don't think I have to go anywhere else since this is the "NFL" area of the board. Your anger astounds me. Surly comes to mind. You should step back and see the stuff that gets spewed here before making assertions about fans out there. In reality I understand that people hate my favorite team. But the vitriol shown because you hang out in the wrong bars or with some loudmouths is beyond me.

Texan_Bill
03-02-2009, 02:24 PM

I could give Diapher a call :specnatz:

:foottap:

DBCooper
03-02-2009, 02:27 PM

Wait until we are winning. You will see what I mean.

And ........ You owe me a public apology for talking about the Cowboys like that.........or I won't be your friend.

Texan_Bill
03-02-2009, 02:39 PM
No, that isn't what I said. Bandwagon by definition is joining the "hot" team when they are hot and going back to life when they aren't relevant. There is a reason why you are the only one here supporting the notion that this city isn't bandwagon....because most sports fans here see it. All of my friends that I went to law school with here are diehard sports fans and 3 of them grew up here and they discuss it all the time and laugh at how, for example the Astros WS run, became this surge of women and men who never thought about sports wearing brand new Astro hats and throwing out Berkman's name like it was their best friend. The stadiums are half empty weekly. It's one thing to be sold out and another to actually support your team or care what they do. Not caring because "they always suck" doesn't cut it. There are diehards here but not throughout the city.

Frog,

First off, someone from the DFW area has no room to talk baseball. The Astros have been 100x's more successful than that AAA team in Arlington. Whether it's wins, playoffs or fan base. You can bring up the folks that went out and bought new Astros gear for the WS, but if I'm not mistaken the Astros were on their way to drawing nearly 3,000,000 that season (which they accomplised 04). No small feat.

Second, there are plenty of people from here that are, have been and always will be passionate about our sports teams (myself included). Let's not generalize by saying "most sports fans". I have mentioned ad nauseum that Houstonians are passionate about our sports. Transplants - not so much (with the exception of Yankee who has adopted the Texans, Astros and Rockets).

Last, I have made known my hatred of all that is Cowboys, Mavericks and Rangers for reasons like family rivalries at our reunions, etc. Certainly not out of jealousy as someone else had posted.

DBCooper
03-02-2009, 02:45 PM
Last, I have made known my hatred of all that is Cowboys, Mavericks and Rangers for reasons like family rivalries at our reunions, etc. Certainly not out of jealousy as someone else had posted.

That's called "bait", Mr. Bill.

Dread-Head
03-02-2009, 02:45 PM

And ........ You owe me a public apology for talking about the Cowboys like that.........or I won't be your friend.

:spit: :lol:

K...when YOU say it...it's funny, but you forgot to mention that it has to be a written public appology and he has to grovel.

Texan_Bill
03-02-2009, 02:46 PM
That's called "bait", Mr. Bill.

Dammit. I almost bit.

Dread-Head
03-02-2009, 02:47 PM
Dammit. I almost bit.

...that's what she said....:thisbig: Ohhhhhhh!

Texecutioner
03-02-2009, 02:47 PM

Every city has band wagoners like that though Cooper. Everyone just isn't going to have passionate fans through the thick and the thin. I wouldn't say Houston is any different than any of these other cities other than maybe Kansas City, Green Bay, and a few others that are smaller cities and only have one team to root for and that is it. You really can't compare teams to Green Bay because that is all most of those fans have. And some fans are just to passionate to the point where they can't handle the reality that their team is not the best. You get those fans out there that only follow their own team and don't know a whole lot else about what goes on around the league. Houston fans though have supported their teams through thick and thin. I don't really criticize fans for not going to games all the time if the team is doing one stupid thing after another and the owner is ticking everyone off which happens in a lot of cities. Sometimes fans have to send a message to the owners and not and NOT SPEND money so management will get a hint.

And as far as that public apology goes, should I ask Dread how to handle this? He is pretty good at ticking Cowboys fans off, so maybe I'll refer to Dread on this one. Lol!

HoustonFrog
03-02-2009, 02:54 PM
Frog,

First off, someone from the DFW area has no room to talk baseball. The Astros have been 100x's more successful than that AAA team in Arlington. Whether it's wins, playoffs or fan base. You can bring up the folks that went out and bought new Astros gear for the WS, but if I'm not mistaken the Astros were on their way to drawing nearly 3,000,000 that season (which they accomplised 04). No small feat.

Second, there are plenty of people from here that are, have been and always will be passionate about our sports teams (myself included). Let's not generalize by saying "most sports fans". I have mentioned ad nauseum that Houstonians are passionate about our sports. Transplants - not so much (with the exception of Yankee who has adopted the Texans, Astros and Rockets).

TB,

First off, you and I have never had issues because of pure respect and I also don't get the overall hatred for my DFW teams except for the fact that they are sporting enemies of yours and you don't obsess on the subject. I know you hate them and that is cool. That's sports. I hate Philly teams and other cities teams but I enjoy most fans and even the most obnoxious Philly fan makes me laugh and I respect their passion. Sports and fans are about supporting your team. People mix it up all the time. But you and I have always had fun here but it is mainly because you joke about stuff and have sports in perspective..even your hated teams. There are a few that don't and I really don't know where it comes from. I'd rather talk draft and free agency and football than this.

As for the Rangers. They have sucked since I was a kid...except for 2 first round defeats..so no qualms there...but it doesn't prove that people are bandwagon up there. But yes, they seem to go after the best bats yearly and still haven't figured out you need more than one pitcher.

I'll agree about attendance numbers..that is what I have been saying more than sellouts. But I have a hard time believing that you don't see the bandwagon fans in this city. You hear it on the radio daily. I know there are lifers...that is what you find on boards like this....but in general, these same arguments you are making can be made for Cowboy fan since they have had sellout records in other cities, etc. My point to start al of this was that this city, in my opinion, has no right to throw around bamdwagon, when there are many quitters out there. Heck, I'm a transplant and support local teams more than most I know.

As far as jealousy.......you don't have it but there is some reason why the Cowboys losing or them in general is a bigger subject than any team out there and for over 30 years it hasn't been because of some guys talked alot in a bar. Success breeds contempt. It does in most fan bases. There is always a give and take and sometimes the take talks just as much.

The reality of this situation is that once a team wins EVERY town has a bandwagon. The reality of what a fan like myself has to deal with is that people pick and chose who to hate without realizing what they are doing. People were saying the Steelers win SBs the right way after this year...you didn't hear people say that .."well their first few were due to a bunch of roid heads. They are dying off because they all roided" But if it was another team, they might reference it. Just saying.

DiapHer
03-02-2009, 03:21 PM
Can someone photoshop a "Horshak" looking afro onto a pic of bill please?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3287/3322973583_e2027ee4ed.jpg?v=0

Specnatz
03-02-2009, 03:25 PM
:user:

I just want to add I had nothing to do with it.

Showtime100
03-02-2009, 03:29 PM
TB,

First off, you and I have never had issues because of pure respect and I also don't get the overall hatred for my DFW teams except for the fact that they are sporting enemies of yours and you don't obsess on the subject. I know you hate them and that is cool. That's sports. I hate Philly teams and other cities teams but I enjoy most fans and even the most obnoxious Philly fan makes me laugh and I respect their passion. Sports and fans are about supporting your team. People mix it up all the time. But you and I have always had fun here but it is mainly because you joke about stuff and have sports in perspective..even your hated teams. There are a few that don't and I really don't know where it comes from. I'd rather talk draft and free agency and football than this.

As for the Rangers. They have sucked since I was a kid...except for 2 first round defeats..so no qualms there...but it doesn't prove that people are bandwagon up there. But yes, they seem to go after the best bats yearly and still haven't figured out you need more than one pitcher.

I'll agree about attendance numbers..that is what I have been saying more than sellouts. But I have a hard time believing that you don't see the bandwagon fans in this city. You hear it on the radio daily. I know there are lifers...that is what you find on boards like this....but in general, these same arguments you are making can be made for Cowboy fan since they have had sellout records in other cities, etc. My point to start al of this was that this city, in my opinion, has no right to throw around bamdwagon, when there are many quitters out there. Heck, I'm a transplant and support local teams more than most I know.

As far as jealousy.......you don't have it but there is some reason why the Cowboys losing or them in general is a bigger subject than any team out there and for over 30 years it hasn't been because of some guys talked alot in a bar. Success breeds contempt. It does in most fan bases. There is always a give and take and sometimes the take talks just as much.

The reality of this situation is that once a team wins EVERY town has a bandwagon. The reality of what a fan like myself has to deal with is that people pick and chose who to hate without realizing what they are doing. People were saying the Steelers win SBs the right way after this year...you didn't hear people say that .."well their first few were due to a bunch of roid heads. They are dying off because they all roided" But if it was another team, they might reference it. Just saying.

Bill summed up my thoughts pretty much to a tee. I'm exactly where he is on my feelings of Dallas teams. OK, I follow the Stars but if Houston got into the NHL I'd jump ship so fast I'd show up on a NORAD screen.

Also, like Bill, I think I've made those feelings known to the point where I'd rather not keep repeating it out of respect for you and a few other DFW fans I consider great contributors to this board. Besides, I try not to sound like a broken record though I don't always succeed.

Just the "jealousy" word is so wrong and uninformed. It really isn't the case and for me it goes back well into the '70's. It's a rivalry of cities and and it's very black and white for me. I guess that's all I got. Just put me down as having a major objection to a DFW fan (generally speaking) explaining what is in a Houstonian's heart.

On topic: Dread, drop 'im. He did you a favor. Run like hell. (based on what I see in this thread). And keep your eye on Frog too, that boy ain't right. :specnatz:

HoustonFrog
03-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Bill summed up my thoughts pretty much to a tee. I'm exactly where he is on my feelings of Dallas teams. OK, I follow the Stars but if Houston got into the NHL I'd jump ship so fast I'd show up on a NORAD screen.

Also, like Bill, I think I've made those feelings known to the point where I'd rather not keep repeating it out of respect for you and a few other DFW fans I consider great contributors to this board. Besides, I try not to sound like a broken record though I don't always succeed.

Just the "jealousy" word is so wrong and uninformed. It really isn't the case and for me it goes back well into the '70's. It's a rivalry of cities and and it's very black and white for me. I guess that's all I got. Just put me down as having a major objection to a DFW fan (generally speaking) explaining what is in a Houstonian's heart.

On topic: Dread, drop 'im. He did you a favor. Run like hell. (based on what I see in this thread). And keep your eye on Frog too, that boy ain't right. :specnatz:

:). Sometimes when I haven't had my drinks.

As I said, I wouldn't call it jealousy but there is an unhealthy hate that some fans have and I am a firm believer that when a team has a history of success or a history in general you will get the hate.

I really wasn't calling true Houstonians bandwagoners...I just said the city is known as a bandwagon city. It is kind of hard to debate this subject when most people on sports boards are pretty gung ho about the teams.:pirate: I expect a rivalry from city to city,

Double Barrel
03-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Regarding bandwagon fans, I'd be curious to see attendance figures for the years that any given teams that went 2-14.

There were maybe 15,000-20,000 people showing up to those games that year. I wonder if fans in other cities pack stadiums when their teams are really lousy. It's probably human nature that they don't. Sports is just entertainment at the end of the day, and when it fails to entertain (or worse, aggravate the crap out of you), many folks just find something else to do.

Texecutioner
03-02-2009, 04:21 PM

And until the last year or so the only thing I did here was go off topic or talk Texans. It wasn't until recent history of this board that the NFL section became a breeding ground for all things Cowboy hated. I made a joke about a guy being arrested not mentioned because it goes to my point that you only care and blow your horm when it is a Cowboy. Most people got the joke. It's true. 90% of your stuff is your hatred for them. What is funny, is that I write something like I did to DH to start this thread..respectful.. and you went straight into the "ALL Cowboy fans..blah, blah, blah." It's like clockwork. You don't read half the stuff on here. If someone jokes and winks on here and you happen to miss the joke and go ballistic then go have a drink. Since I'm in this forum and can discuss both teams with some civility without trashing the other team, I don't think I have to go anywhere else since this is the "NFL" area of the board. Your anger astounds me. Surly comes to mind. You should step back and see the stuff that gets spewed here before making assertions about fans out there. In reality I understand that people hate my favorite team. But the vitriol shown because you hang out in the wrong bars or with some loudmouths is beyond me.

You literally make one false assertion after another here. Mad and angry???? Who is mad? I'm happy with the current state of the Cowboys. They got humiliated last season and still have a team cancer on their team that will implode if the Cowboys don't go at least 12-4 and even then he probably still will.

Again, you aren't on a Cowboys board, you are on a Texans board and if you've lived anywhere near Houston for any significant amount of time you would know that there are tons of people that can't stand the Cowboys in this city and it is no different in Dallas. I hear Dallas fans bash on the Texans all of the time. Hell there was even a radio host in SA who is a die hard Cowboys fan and hounded Texans fans at Hooters and embarrassed himself all over 610 radio with his actions and then bragged about it. It was talked about all over the board, but I'm sure that you ignored it.

I've disliked the Cowboys since Jerry bought the team. My entire family has. We don't like the Cowboys. Get over it. I used to argue with Cowboys fans even at 12 years old when Cowboys fans used to bash on the Oilers. I relentlessly rooted for the Cowboys to go 0-16 when they went 1-15 as a kid in elementary school and nope nothing has changed. I can't stand Oklahoma because I'm a Longhorns fan as well. You wouldn't see me on a Sooners board whining to people about bashing the Lonhorns. That would be silly and foolish.

Funny how hypocritical you can be here though when I don't see you whining about a word of the Titans bashing in here which is far worse than anything said about the Cowboys. Oh, you're not a Titans fan so that doesn't bother you right? Well guess what this isn't a Titans board either. I'm a VY fan though, but you don't see me in here crying every time the thousands of posters in here make sausage jokes about him and crack one joke after another. I did once, because I thought some stuff was a little out of line, but even then I should have not even bothered because this is a Texans board and I know that many of the fans are going to continue it and I just have to expect it. learn to live with it, or stay out of the threads involving VY's name. But I don't see you crawling all over the place defending the Titans and VY and asking "Why do you people hate them so much" every time the Titans are being bashed in here. YOu don't see me over on the Cowboys boards whining to everyone about the stuff they say about the Texans. That would be silly knowing the history between both cities and knowing what a large amount of the fan base thinks about our city in general and the Texans.

I never generalized all Cowboys fans into anything. You keep making this claim, but I never did that. I've argued on the behalf of Romo plenty of times, and complimented Witten plenty of times as well and I'm a Marion Barber fan. Those are the players that I respect and like on that team and that is it. It won't change. Get over it.

Ckw
03-02-2009, 04:26 PM
Not true. If that were the case the Texans wouldn't have near the attendance that they do with all of these band wagon Cowboy and Titan fans in this city. We still have a huge fan base in HOuston despite having all of these disappointing seasons.

Correction. We have some excellent football fans. Basketball and baseball.... not so much.

Texecutioner
03-02-2009, 04:30 PM
Regarding bandwagon fans, I'd be curious to see attendance figures for the years that any given teams that went 2-14.

There were maybe 15,000-20,000 people showing up to those games that year. I wonder if fans in other cities pack stadiums when their teams are really lousy. It's probably human nature that they don't. Sports is just entertainment at the end of the day, and when it fails to entertain (or worse, aggravate the crap out of you), many folks just find something else to do.

Exactly. People sit back and question why fans won't go watch a team that is awful and think that everyone is supposed to make the owners richer when the owners are screwing up their teams. The Texans have had an extremely patient fan base in my opinion and have been behind this franchise through thick and thin and we have had some horrible seasons to witness. The fact that this team is even packing half the stadium is impressive to me considering that we haven't even had a winning season yet. We have sell outs on the regular and have some of the highest tickets sales around the league. Every game I've ever been to at Reliant is packed and fans are excited to be there. I don't buy or agree with any of band wagon city rhetoric. We're no different than any other big city. More fans show up when teams are winning and less fans show up when teams are losing. That seems pretty logical to me. Of course more fans are going to care more when you have one of the top teams in any sport.It becomes more interesting to most people when they feel like their chances of winning are that much greater and they have more faith behind their team.

WWJD
03-02-2009, 04:31 PM

I had season tickets the year the Cowboys went 1-15 and I don't remember much about the year except watching a TON of bad football but I don't think the stadium was full...maybe the tickets were sold but I don't remember the attendance.

The one thing I do remember is we had tickets that strike season when all the teams had "scrubs" and I definitely remember the stadium being empty in large pockets...I never have figured out why I went to those games...it was very weird watching those guys you know in NFL uniforms but playing more like high schoolers...

There were some teams that had guys that crossed the picket lines..the Cowboys had a handful...but that was some weird few games watching that!

GuerillaBlack
03-02-2009, 04:32 PM
As most here know, I am a massive Cowboy fan and have been for 35 years or whenever I could pay attention to football. However, over the years you realize that it is a game in general and although it may make you upset and that there are haters, it all still boils down to a big case of "who the eff cares." That is one reason why I enjoy it here and find it entertainting to talk Cowboys here and Texans. None of it offends me unless people take it so serioulsy they get personal. Its a sport that you can be passionate about but you shouldn't take it too far into personal relationships and should show respect. So my point is,...your friend wasn't a friend you need if the Cowboys and sports in general became the sticking point.

F U!!! Find your own board!!!!

Showtime100
03-02-2009, 04:34 PM
Correction. We have some excellent football fans. Basketball and baseball.... not so much.

Astros fans not so much? No way. It might seem that way on a football board, but the attendance at MMP disagrees with you.

HoustonFrog
03-02-2009, 04:34 PM
F U!!! Find your own board!!!!

:). Wow, it took you this long

Texecutioner
03-02-2009, 04:36 PM

Texas is and always will be a football state. We live for football and I can't think of one state that cherishes football more than Texas.

I think the Rockets have a pretty loyal fan base. It's just the NBA that has gone down hill a lot. There are a lot of people that just don't hardly watch the NBA at all now days and in many reasons I can understand why. The league has gone down hill a lot in my opinion.

Baseball has really gone down hill as well. The steroids debacle and all of these witch hunts on different players and congress being involved and all. It just turns people off after while and tunes them out. I love the Astros and always will, but I just don't follow baseball like I do other sports or nearly like I did when I was a kid. That doesn't mean that I'm not a die hard Astros fan, but I just don't put that much time and interest into baseball near as much. I think it is the same way for a lot of people. Plus, fans get sick and tired of seeing the Yankees and the Red Sox in it every single season. There isn't near enough parity and I hear people complain about this a lot when it comes to baseball.

Ckw
03-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Astros fans not so much? No way. It might seem that way on a football board, but the attendance at MMP disagrees with you.

Where does attendance at Astros games rank across the league? And more of what I mean by my statement is the fact that so many of our "fans" leave well before the game is over. I can somewhat understand this if the team is getting blown out but in a game in which your team is winning or the game is close, why would a true fan leave? It just seems to me that at Astros games, a majority of fans are gone by the 7th inning stretch and at Rockets games are gone by the 4th quarter. Sure, they might go to the game to be entertained, but they don't stay to cheer on their team. Attendance does not make a fan; devotion does (but not like Dread's friend).

HoustonFrog
03-02-2009, 04:40 PM
You literally make one false assertion after another here. Mad and angry???? Who is mad? I'm happy with the current state of the Cowboys. They got humiliated last season and still have a team cancer on their team that will implode if the Cowboys don't go at least 12-4 and even then he probably still will.

Again, you aren't on a Cowboys board, you are on a Texans board and if you've lived anywhere near Houston for any significant amount of time you would know that there are tons of people that can't stand the Cowboys in this city and it is no different in Dallas. I hear Dallas fans bash on the Texans all of the time. Hell there was even a radio host in SA who is a die hard Cowboys fan and hounded Texans fans at Hooters and embarrassed himself all over 610 radio with his actions and then bragged about it. It was talked about all over the board, but I'm sure that you ignored it.
I've disliked the Cowboys since Jerry bought the team. My entire family has. We don't like the Cowboys. Get over it. I used to argue with Cowboys fans even at 12 years old when Cowboys fans used to bash on the Oilers. I relentlessly rooted for the Cowboys to go 0-16 when they went 1-15 as a kid in elementary school and nope nothing has changed. I can't stand Oklahoma because I'm a Longhorns fan as well. You wouldn't see me on a Sooners board whining to people about bashing the Lonhorns. That would be silly and foolish.

Funny how hypocritical you can be here though when I don't see you whining about a word of the Titans bashing in here which is far worse than anything said about the Cowboys. Oh, you're not a Titans fan so that doesn't bother you right? Well guess what this isn't a Titans board either. I'm a VY fan though, but you don't see me in here crying every time the thousands of posters in here make sausage jokes about him and crack one joke after another. I did once, because I thought some stuff was a little out of line, but even then I should have not even bothered because this is a Texans board and I know that many of the fans are going to continue it and I just have to expect it. learn to live with it, or stay out of the threads involving VY's name. But I don't see you crawling all over the place defending the Titans and VY and asking "Why do you people hate them so much" every time the Titans are being bashed in here. YOu don't see me over on the Cowboys boards whining to everyone about the stuff they say about the Texans. That would be silly knowing the history between both cities and knowing what a large amount of the fan base thinks about our city in general and the Texans.

I never generalized all Cowboys fans into anything. You keep making this claim, but I never did that. I've argued on the behalf of Romo plenty of times, and complimented Witten plenty of times as well and I'm a Marion Barber fan. Those are the players that I respect and like on that team and that is it. It won't change. Get over it.

Just to get you up to speed. I wrote the guy in SA and told him he was embarrassing us good fans. It was talked about here and I even displayed what I wrote to him. Per usual, you skip things in your frenzy to bash. I've been realistic and a good fan. As I said, from the time this board has been open, the Cowboys weren't much of a subject. I never came here to talk Cowboys..as most old timers can attest. You just have to bring them up in every subject. Just like the day I wrote about a player and joked that someone will say we should sign him and without even reading the main thread post you put that.

You never generalize?LMAO..from this thread

There isn't much more for me to say. You just seem angry about this all the time and you can't listen or read any thoughtful post that try to explain things otherwise. Even when I took to the time to cite articles about arrests in the league over the past 15 years, etc you ignored it and kept bashing. I guess it makes you happy. There is a large difference between not liking a team and a small obsession with one. You cross the line repeatedly. I'll explain, rationally, the difference every time too. There are more fans like me out there but for the most part that wouldn't make the base as hated so the fire has to be stoked.

GuerillaBlack
03-02-2009, 04:41 PM
:). Wow, it took you this long

I showed up too late. ;)

Texecutioner
03-02-2009, 04:43 PM
Where does attendance at Astros games rank across the league? And more of what I mean by my statement is the fact that so many of our "fans" leave well before the game is over. I can somewhat understand this if the team is getting blown out but in a game in which your team is winning or the game is close, why would a true fan leave? It just seems to me that at Astros games, a majority of fans are gone by the 7th inning stretch and at Rockets games are gone by the 4th quarter. Sure, they might go to the game to be entertained, but they don't stay to cheer on their team. Attendance does not make a fan; devotion does (but not like Dread's friend).

What does it matter if fans want to leave early? Some fans just don't enjoy going to games that much period. My dad almost all the time would rather watch it from his couch with a six pack and listen to the commentators. There were two Texans games that I didn't attend last season simply because I wanted to relax at home and watch it on the couch. Does that make me less of a fan? No, I just wanted to root from the couch on those days. And I'll be the first one to tell you that I haven't been to an entire Astros game probably in 10 years. Baseball moves to slow and is boring to me, and I'll usually get to an Astros game no earlier than the 4th inning. I remember one time we didn't get there until the 7th inning stretch and weren't mad one bit about it.

Some fans just want to leave once they think they know the outcome of the game and want to avoid traffic. I don't see anything wrong with that. At least they were there and bought a ticket or used the free one that they had. Everyone doesn't enjoy attending the games in person as some others do.

Showtime100
03-02-2009, 04:46 PM

You said Astros fans weren't "so much" in comparison to Texan fans. I disagree. There are thousands of us that have lived the entire Astros history for all intents and purposes. I'm not stacking one against me other, just saying the Astros fans are into their baseball.

If attendance doesn't a fan make, why post based on fan behavior? I imagine going to 81 games a year makes the dynamics of fan behavior incomparable to a football fan's behavior. Just as baseball cannot be compared to football.

HoustonFrog
03-02-2009, 04:46 PM

I give the Texans there credit for still having a fan base during that time but I chalked it to getting football back and loving football after its absence. I'm really surprised that people are surprised about my assertion. Its talked about weekly in sports talk and I haven't met many that haven't agreed that there is a lazy sports vibe around town. Sports boards like this are a different story.

Texan JBZ
03-02-2009, 04:47 PM

Well, isn't there a "Cowgirls Talk" message board somewhere? Why are you on a Texans mb anyway? Beat it!

HoustonFrog
03-02-2009, 04:51 PM
Well, isn't there a "Cowgirls Talk" message board somewhere? Why are you on a Texans mb anyway? Beat it!

Do you really want to go there?It really doesn't look good when you show up trying to be all billy badass. I grew up in FW and was a Cowboy lifer. I've lived here since 1993 and have interest in the local team. I've been here a long bit and have made good friends on here. 99% of the time we talk Texans and sports with off topic in there. There is a reason why this board is split how it is. "Cowgirls"....ooohhhhhhhhhh..fresh. Seriously, was this worth it?This is the stuff that just makes me shake my head. You have proved most of my points in one, small post. Plus, in my time here, I don't hink I've ever started a Cowboy thread in order to make a point regarding not liking the Texans not have I started a Texans bashing thread. I come here for football.

Texan_Bill
03-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Where does attendance at Astros games rank across the league? And more of what I mean by my statement is the fact that so many of our "fans" leave well before the game is over.

A) Usually hovering around top 10 in the league.
B) Kids. Many parents don't keep their kids out too late, especially during the week.

GuerillaBlack
03-02-2009, 04:57 PM
Do you really want to go there?It really doesn't look good when you show up trying to be all billy badass. I grew up in FW and was a Cowboy lifer. I've lived here since 1993 and have interest in the local team. I've been here a long bit and have made good friends on here. 99% of the time we talk Texans and sports with off topic in there. There is a reason why this board is split how it is. "Cowgirls"....ooohhhhhhhhhh..fresh. Seriously, was this worth it?This is the stuff that just makes me shake my head. You have proved most of my points in one, small post. Plus, in my time here, I don't hink I've ever started a Cowboy thread in order to make a point regarding not liking the Texans not have I started a Texans bashing thread. I come here for football.

The man does not know the history of HoustonFrog.

Texan JBZ
03-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Do you really want to go there?It really doesn't look good when you show up trying to be all billy badass. I grew up in FW and was a Cowboy lifer. I've lived here since 1993 and have interest in the local team. I've been here a long bit and have made good friends on here. 99% of the time we talk Texans and sports with off topic in there. There is a reason why this board is split how it is. "Cowgirls"....ooohhhhhhhhhh..fresh. Seriously, was this worth it?This is the stuff that just makes me shake my head. You have proved most of my points in one, small post.

Now that you've had a chance to vent, beat it! And for future reference, there are certain things in a sports fans life that don't go together - Buckeye and Wolverine fan, Crimson Tide and Tigers fan, Red Sox and Yankees fan, Longhorn and Sooners fan, and (drum roll)..Cowpattie and Texans fan! They just don't mix. You can't be a Hatfield and a McCoy at the same time. Pick a side..oh, you already did a long time ago.

GuerillaBlack
03-02-2009, 05:00 PM
I personally think this is getting too heated. Let's lighten it up a bit:

http://i28.tinypic.com/34nn02g.gif

Texan JBZ
03-02-2009, 05:01 PM
Plus, in my time here, I don't hink I've ever started a Cowboy thread in order to make a point regarding not liking the Texans not have I started a Texans bashing thread. I come here for football.

:goodpost: I'm pretty sure you haven't. Why would a Cowboys fan start a post bashing the Texans on Texans Talk!

HoustonFrog
03-02-2009, 05:01 PM
Now that you've had a chance to vent, beat it! And for future reference, there are certain things in a sports fans life that don't go together - Buckeye and Wolverine fan, Crimson Tide and Tigers fan, Red Sox and Yankees fan, Longhorn and Sooners fan, and (drum roll)..Cowpattie and Texans fan! They just don't mix. You can't be a Hatfield and a McCoy at the same time. Pick a side..oh, you already did a long time ago.

That would make sense if this was a rivalry but it isn't...unless this is a "city" board. I'm not sure if you are one that needs to yell "beat it." Again, I've never posted to fans here the way you are and have tried becoming a fan over years of talking football here. I suggest you try the boogie man routine elsewhere. You can be a fan and have interest. I hate to tell you but kids in the 70s and 80s that like the Cowboys also liked the Oilers...no one told me Houston hated us.:). This is getting ridiculous.

:goodpost: I'm pretty sure you haven't. Why would a Cowboys fan start a post bashing the Texans on Texans Talk!

UMMM..because even fans on their own board troll and bash. You really need to study here more. You decide 6 months was a time to start flexing?..LOL

Texan_Bill
03-02-2009, 05:02 PM
I personally think this is getting too heated. Let's lighten it up a bit:

http://i28.tinypic.com/34nn02g.gif

Like she would cool anything down GB!! That only makes things hotter!

Thanks, BTW :tiphat:

+1

GuerillaBlack
03-02-2009, 05:02 PM
http://i42.tinypic.com/2rfpz4g.jpg

http://www.marriedtothesea.com/042208/oops-thats-not-funny.gif

Texecutioner
03-02-2009, 05:03 PM
Just to get you up to speed. I wrote the guy in SA and told him he was embarrassing us good fans. It was talked about here and I even displayed what I wrote to him. Per usual, you skip things in your frenzy to bash. I've been realistic and a good fan. As I said, from the time this board has been open, the Cowboys weren't much of a subject. I never came here to talk Cowboys..as most old timers can attest. You just have to bring them up in every subject. Just like the day I wrote about a player and joked that someone will say we should sign him and without even reading the main thread post you put that.

You come in here to talk about the Cowboys all of the time. This is more evidence of that. I didn't start the thread in case you didn't notice. I just commented on it, and you're having your usual fit over it.

There isn't much more for me to say. You just seem angry about this all the time and you can't listen or read any thoughtful post that try to explain things otherwise.

NOthing for me to get angry about with the Cowboys right now. They've been getting laughed at since the moment they signed TO.

Even when I took to the time to cite articles about arrests in the league over the past 15 years, etc you ignored it and kept bashing. I guess it makes you happy.

You proved nothing. All you did was point out that other teams have mal contents too. No shit. None of that changes the fact that the Cowboys love to go after those types of players and go after the worst of them. I'd give you a few examples but the list would take to long.

There is a large difference between not liking a team and a small obsession with one. You cross the line repeatedly. I'll explain, rationally, the difference every time too. There are more fans like me out there but for the most part that wouldn't make the base as hated so the fire has to be stoked.

Cross what line? Hating the Cowboys. Lol! I'll own up to that any day of the week. I'll take that as a compliment the same way I will for hating the Sooners, the Titans, and the Buckeys. As far as obessesion goes, I think that you have one with me actually considering how you come after me in any thread involving the Cowboys. But it is kind of cute.

Get over yourself. Again, go to the Cowboys boards with this. Discussing this topic with you is always one endless waste of time where you make one false claim and assertion after another. And then you always come back saying that I generalize about all Cowboys players and all Cowboys fans which isn't true, but then turn right around and make several generalizations about me making yourself just as guilty of what you're allegedly accusing me of.

You refuse to understand why anyone dislikes the Cowboys and are unwilling to look into why fans all around the NFL can't stand Jerry Jones much less what people in Houston think about him. Until you can honestly assess your own team and actually make an attempt to understand why many fans don't have respect for that franchise and the way it is ran then you'll always waste your time trying to argue this stuff. Jerry Jones and a TO led Cowboys make it quite easy all on their own without any help from me.

GuerillaBlack
03-02-2009, 05:03 PM
Like she would cool anything down GB!! That only makes things hotter!

Thanks, BTW :tiphat:

+1

http://i32.tinypic.com/66hxdz.gif

Anybody can use this forum yo. Even the chick I'm posting. Doesn't matter what fan of a team you are. Just don't troll and I won't kill you.

Texecutioner
03-02-2009, 05:07 PM

That is whopper if I ever heard one. You just made one like two weeks ago regarding some random guy on another team getting arrested and made the entire subject of your post about the Cowboys and used a "Woe is us" act. Nice try though Frog.

Showtime100
03-02-2009, 05:10 PM

Did you used to have a friend named Dread? :cowboy1:

HoustonFrog
03-02-2009, 05:14 PM
That is whopper if I ever heard one. You just made one like two weeks ago regarding some random guy on another team getting arrested and made the entire subject of your post about the Cowboys and used a "Woe is us" act. Nice try though Frog.

You have some serious issues....and a reading comprehension problem. Most people know my humor here. The post was about a guy getting arrested. It only turned into a Cowboy thread when you aimlessly wandered in and started your angry song and dance. The joke wasn't lost on most and all it did was make a point that others have been arrested. I've NEVER started a thread in here about Cowboy dominance or anything to stir up trouble with the locals in regards to the Cowboys vs the Texans. Point blank. If I have I don't remember it. You are again wrong. Everyone but you got the joke in the thread. In fact it turned into a Marshawn Lynch being ugly thread, not a Cowboy thread.:)

Also, if you would read this thread again...one of your problems before you come bursting in...I was in agreeance about the guys friend and actually wrote a nice message. This got turned around when you made another one of your giant, generalizing, statements. I swear it is like talking to a brick wall, except a brick wall with less listening and reading skills than a normal brick wall..and an angrier one. I comment on your ramblings above but you might respond and make less sense. I honestly assess the Cowboys daily and have admitted faults on here. You just skip that and are too busy turning green, tearing your clothes off and meatheading out to see it. Is it just me or did this stuff not used to happen when this board was started. I always thought this was the more "mature" board.

Texan_Bill
03-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Cowboys suck!!!

:worm:

HoustonFrog
03-02-2009, 05:22 PM
Cowboys suck!!!

:worm:

See, harmless:whip:

GuerillaBlack
03-02-2009, 05:26 PM
You have some serious issues....and a reading comprehension problem. Most people know my humor here. The post was about a guy getting arrested. It only turned into a Cowboy thread when you aimlessly wandered in and started your angry song and dance. The joke wasn't lost on most and all it did was make a point that others have been arrested. I've NEVER started a thread in here about Cowboy dominance or anything to stir up trouble with the locals in regards to the Cowboys vs the Texans. Point blank. If I have I don't remember it. You are again wrong. Everyone but you got the joke in the thread. In fact it turned into a Marshawn Lynch being ugly thread, not a Cowboy thread.:)

Also, if you would read this thread again...one of your problems before you come bursting in...I was in agreeance about the guys friend and actually wrote a nice message. This got turned around when you made another one of your giant, generalizing, statements. I swear it is like talking to a brick wall, except a brick wall with less listening and reading skills than a normal brick wall..and an angrier one. I comment on your ramblings above but you might respond and make less sense. I honestly assess the Cowboys daily and have admitted faults on here. You just skip that and are too busy turning green, tearing your clothes off and meatheading out to see it. Is it just me or did this stuff not used to happen when this board was started. I always thought this was the more "mature" board.

Shall I post another picture?

Ckw
03-02-2009, 05:26 PM
What does it matter if fans want to leave early? Some fans just don't enjoy going to games that much period. My dad almost all the time would rather watch it from his couch with a six pack and listen to the commentators. There were two Texans games that I didn't attend last season simply because I wanted to relax at home and watch it on the couch. Does that make me less of a fan? No, I just wanted to root from the couch on those days. And I'll be the first one to tell you that I haven't been to an entire Astros game probably in 10 years. Baseball moves to slow and is boring to me, and I'll usually get to an Astros game no earlier than the 4th inning. I remember one time we didn't get there until the 7th inning stretch and weren't mad one bit about it.

Some fans just want to leave once they think they know the outcome of the game and want to avoid traffic. I don't see anything wrong with that. At least they were there and bought a ticket or used the free one that they had. Everyone doesn't enjoy attending the games in person as some others do.

I don't have a problem if you want to watch it from your couch. I just wonder why drive out to the game only to get up and leave in the middle of it.

You said Astros fans weren't "so much" in comparison to Texan fans. I disagree. There are thousands of us that have lived the entire Astros history for all intents and purposes. I'm not stacking one against me other, just saying the Astros fans are into their baseball.

If attendance doesn't a fan make, why post based on fan behavior? I imagine going to 81 games a year makes the dynamics of fan behavior incomparable to a football fan's behavior. Just as baseball cannot be compared to football.

I guess another thing that gets me about Houston is if I go to the Astros game to watch them play the Braves, Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox, etc., it seems like there are more people there rooting for the opposing team than rooting for the Stros.

A) Usually hovering around top 10 in the league.
B) Kids. Many parents don't keep their kids out too late, especially during the week.

That's understandable. The biggest reason why I think Houston seems to have "fair weather fans" is it seems like fans of other teams actually stay for the games to cheer them on. Even before Boston won the WS, Red Sox Nation stayed through the entire game. Same thing for Yankee Stadium. Even when I went to a Mariners game at the old Kingdome, the stadium remained packed for the entire game.

Even watching on tv, I can't help but notice how empty Toyota Center looks in comparison to the Staples Center, United Center, etc. Maybe it's just perception but as a native Houstonian, I am ashamed of our fans quite a bit. Obviously, that does not go for the individuals on this message board as it is made up of essentially the most die-hard Houston fans there are.

HoustonFrog
03-02-2009, 05:27 PM
Shall I post another picture?

Please....I'm done responding!Anything like the other pic is fine:)

Showtime100
03-02-2009, 05:33 PM
I guess another thing that gets me about Houston is if I go to the Astros game to watch them play the Braves, Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox, etc., it seems like there are more people there rooting for the opposing team than rooting for the Stros.

No doubt. I saw some interviews with Astros "fans" at the ballpark and they would have a Yank hat on saying "Today, just today. I'm from Houston, but I'm an A-Rod fan."

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r65/ShowtimeN15580/Emoticons%20II/reaction.gif

Showtime100
03-02-2009, 05:35 PM
Boy, that Dread sure is a troublemaker. http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r65/ShowtimeN15580/Emoticons%20II/thth2811.gif

Texecutioner
03-02-2009, 05:36 PM
You have some serious issues....and a reading comprehension problem.

Not really. I commented to Dread and Dread only. Gave my opinion, and you have gone off the deep end ever since. Had no intentions at discussing anything with you, but you started this and keep coming back for more. Lol!

Most people know my humor here. The post was about a guy getting arrested. It only turned into a Cowboy thread when you aimlessly wandered in and started your angry song and dance.

That is a lie. It was a Cowboys thread the minute you created it and brought the Cowboys into it. You started it because you can't ever handle it when people criticize the Cowboys and thought you were going to make some point with it. Now you're just back pedaling. But that is fine, carry on........

The joke wasn't lost on most and all it did was make a point that others have been arrested. I've NEVER started a thread in here about Cowboy dominance or anything to stir up trouble with the locals in regards to the Cowboys vs the Texans. Point blank. If I have I don't remember it. You are again wrong. Everyone but you got the joke in the thread.

No, you only pick arguments with people in here about the Cowboys on a regular basis. NOt just with me, but with several others and somehow just can't get it through that thick skull of yours that many people in Houston and Dallas don't really like each other's teams and it has been this way for many decades. Wake up.

Also, if you would read this thread again...one of your problems before you come bursting in...I was in agreeance about the guys friend and actually wrote a nice message.

Okay then so you and I both agreed from the very beginning, but yet you have been all over this thread arguing about the Cowboys and bashed me several times for my own personel opinions that had nothing to do with you. What was that you were just saying about not starting up subjects and threads about the Cowboys???????????????????

This got turned around when you made another one of your giant, generalizing, statements. I swear it is like talking to a brick wall, except a brick wall with less listening and reading skills than a normal brick wall..and an angrier one. I comment on your ramblings above but you might respond and make less sense.

You can sit here and insult me all day and night, but it won't change the fact that you're on a Texans board whining about the Cowboys and you clearly have done it in this thread by changing the entire discussion from Dread's issue with his friend into one of your typical battles about your beloved team. I get it, you love the Cowpatties. Never blasted you for it, but yet you're here just like many of the other Cowboys fans I've been around and making insults and trying to criticize me for generalizing things while being guilty of generalizing me the entire time. Go figure. Gotta love them Cowboys fans.

Ckw
03-02-2009, 05:39 PM
It's kind of ironic that Dread's thread about losing a friend over the Cowboys is about to make some others quit being message board friends. :brando:

Texecutioner
03-02-2009, 05:41 PM
It's kind of ironic that Dread's thread about losing a friend over the Cowboys is about to make some others quit being message board friends. :brando:

Right!? I highly doubt that Frog considers me a friend, but I've got no real issue with him. He starts this stuff up every time the Cowboys are criticized. It's not that different from the discussions where Blazing Arrow is all over the place. Nothing new CkW. :fans:

HoustonFrog
03-02-2009, 05:42 PM
No, you only pick arguments with people in here about the Cowboys on a regular basis. NOt just with me, but with several others and somehow just can't get it through that thick skull of yours that many people in Houston and Dallas don't really like each other's teams and it has been this way for many decades. Wake up.

You'll get it when you realize that most in Dallas don't care and most Cowboy boards never mention the Texans

As for the rest....:deadhorse

I'll look forward to your future rants and generalizations that make no sense at all. Maybe law school did teach me to see something while debating..the ability to see people spin and spin in circles with the same lame b.s.

Right!? I highly doubt that Frog considers me a friend, but I've got no real issue with him. He starts this stuff up every time the Cowboys are criticized. It's not that different from the discussions where Blazing Arrow is all over the place. Nothing new CkW. :fans:

LMAO..this means that you usually say something over the top and in the form of a blanket statement. Kind of weird how you usually get the repsonses...lol. Again, starting something up and actually tying to educate someone are two different things. It just gets tedious when thick skulls are involved. I'll leave you to go yell at some kids on your lawn or to go juice up or something.

Texan_Bill
03-02-2009, 05:43 PM
That's understandable. The biggest reason why I think Houston seems to have "fair weather fans" is it seems like fans of other teams actually stay for the games to cheer them on. Even before Boston won the WS, Red Sox Nation stayed through the entire game. Same thing for Yankee Stadium. Even when I went to a Mariners game at the old Kingdome, the stadium remained packed for the entire game.

Even watching on tv, I can't help but notice how empty Toyota Center looks in comparison to the Staples Center, United Center, etc. Maybe it's just perception but as a native Houstonian, I am ashamed of our fans quite a bit. Obviously, that does not go for the individuals on this message board as it is made up of essentially the most die-hard Houston fans there are.

Seriously, this season I challenge you to pay more attention to away games. I bet when you look at it objectively you will see similar trends elsewhere. Not everywhere mind you. Some teams don't cater to "the family" customers as much as others.

Toyota Center's layout is horrible. They put the club seats where it is visible on TV and it pisses me off that these hob-knobbers can't get to their seat - if they make down from the Club at all. Again, I challenge you (tomorrow night for example) to pay more attention to seats outside the club level (which happens to be the lower bowl from approximately end line to end line). The seats are generally full and folks makes some noise.

The Club level people? Not so much. They are the ones you typically see sitting on their hands. Those fans suck! Not even fans really, corporate owned "marketing" seats.

Boston and New York are poor examples here. Seattle? I would bet that if you researched it, that the Mariners #'s and Astros # are relatively close with the exception of 1999 or 2000 when Seatle moved into (new) Safeco Park.

DBCooper
03-02-2009, 05:43 PM
Go Cowboys!
(unless they are playing the Texans)

Now post another pic GB!

Texan_Bill
03-02-2009, 05:46 PM
You'll get it when you realize that most in Dallas don't care and most Cowboy boards never mention the Texans

I'll look forward to your future rants and generalizations that make no sense at all. Maybe law school did teach me to see something while debating..the ability to see people spin and spin in circles with the same lame b.s.

See... See... That's - that hocus pocus lawyerly jedi mind trick they teach y'all...

And they want to know why we hate attorneys... :gun:

HoustonFrog
03-02-2009, 05:49 PM
See... See... That's - that hocus pocus lawyerly jedi mind trick they teach y'all...

And they want to know why we hate attorneys... :gun:

I haven't even scratched the surface of my power...:wild:

I hate most of us too:)

GlassHalfFull
03-02-2009, 05:59 PM
Seriously, this season I challenge you to pay more attention to away games. I bet when you look at it objectively you will see similar trends elsewhere. Not everywhere mind you. Some teams don't cater to "the family" customers as much as others.

Toyota Center's layout is horrible. They put the club seats where it is visible on TV and it pisses me off that these hob-knobbers can't get to their seat - if they make down from the Club at all. Again, I challenge you (tomorrow night for example) to pay more attention to seats outside the club level (which happens to be the lower bowl from approximately end line to end line). The seats are generally full and folks makes some noise.

The Club level people? Not so much. They are the ones you typically see sitting on their hands. Those fans suck! Not even fans really, corporate owned "marketing" seats.

Boston and New York are poor examples here. Seattle? I would bet that if you researched it, that the Mariners #'s and Astros # are relatively close with the exception of 1999 or 2000 when Seatle moved into (new) Safeco Park.

Bill is right (damn I hate typing that). The upper bowl is filled at Toyota Center pretty much all the time and the fans are loud. We usually go to 10 or so Astros games a year and they are pretty well attended. I am usually surprised at how many fans are there. Weekday games less so than weekend, but that is to be expected.

I am one who is always in my seat at kickoff (tipoff, first pitch, whatever) and stays until the end (bitter or happy). I do not understand paying for a ticket and leaving early, but that is just me.

I also think the sports team have priced most casual fans out of the season ticket range, at least for the good seats.

Edit: oh yeah, the Cowgirls Suck!!!

Edit2: Dread, this guy has serious issues. Best stay away, he just makes himself look ridiculous.

ps. I love firefox, because I can never spell ridiculous.

Texan_Bill
03-02-2009, 06:06 PM
Bill is right (damn I hate typing that).

I know how much that pained you to say that... :)

Thorn
03-02-2009, 06:13 PM
Any person that is that much of a fanatic over something, whether it is about a sports team, a TV show, a religion, whatever, is bound to cross paths with everyone in their life. Let them go be who they are because they are lost inside themselves and donít want to come out.

Texecutioner
03-02-2009, 06:31 PM
Hey. This cat STILL hates T.O. and feels the only way for T.O. to redeem himself for the "Star Incident" at Texas Stadium would be for him to help the Cowboys win TWO Superbowls. I kid you not, the man said Terrell Owens would have to help the Cowboys win two superbowls before he could forgive him for standing in the middle of that star at midfeild.

That is the thing though Dread. He actually thinks the Cowboys will win a SB with TO on the team. :spit:

Texecutioner
03-02-2009, 06:49 PM

Haven't had to spin anything. Listed several examples that you refuse to accept or understand. Not my problem. Just your typical denial of valid reasons why people don't respect the franchise ran by Jerry Jones and the decisions he makes.

LMAO..this means that you usually say something over the top and in the form of a blanket statement. Kind of weird how you usually get the repsonses...lol. Again, starting something up and actually tying to educate someone are two different things. It just gets tedious when thick skulls are involved. I'll leave you to go yell at some kids on your lawn or to go juice up or something.

A cowboys fan flexing on a Texans message board, but yet you claim that Cowboys fans could care less about the Texans? :spit:

GuerillaBlack
03-02-2009, 08:16 PM
I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I was watching a movie (Changeling...pretty good). Here's a pic!

http://www.gagreport.com/banners%20and%20logos/bouncing2os.gif

I just wanna...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/boboomboom/motorboatin.gif

Ckw
03-02-2009, 09:14 PM
I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I was watching a movie (Changeling...pretty good). Here's a pic!

http://www.gagreport.com/banners%20and%20logos/bouncing2os.gif

I just wanna...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/boboomboom/motorboatin.gif

You are a horny bastard GB. Not complaining, just sayin. You motor boatin' son of a *****!

GuerillaBlack
03-02-2009, 09:26 PM
You are a horny bastard GB. Not complaining, just sayin. You motor boatin' son of a *****!

I'm 17. ;)

DBCooper
03-03-2009, 12:47 AM
I'm 17. ;)

It never goes away at any age.

Thanks for the pic.

Sal Rosenberg
03-03-2009, 01:02 AM
I hope T.O. is ok!

HoustonFrog
03-03-2009, 08:20 AM
Haven't had to spin anything. Listed several examples that you refuse to accept or understand. Not my problem. Just your typical denial of valid reasons why people don't respect the franchise ran by Jerry Jones and the decisions he makes.

A cowboys fan flexing on a Texans message board, but yet you claim that Cowboys fans could care less about the Texans? :spit:

This made no sense with the part you quoted. Just wanted to let you know. Good luck.

GB, thanks for the pics. Good guy!

jgl35
03-03-2009, 09:15 AM

I went back to find years where the Eagles were really bad for a long period of time to see if that had any effect on attendance. I used a book titled "The Eagles Encyclopedia By Ray Didinger, who is a hall of fame author.

From 1968 t9 1974 the Eagles record was 33-74-5.
In '68 the attendence for every home game was 60,858. The record was 2-10.
In '69 the same attentence number with a 4-9-1 record.

In '70 there was a drop off. The only 60 plus thousand game was against Wash. The lowest was against Pitt. at 55,252.

Without going on with a year to year breakdown, the lowest attendened game during these years was against the Jets in '73 at 34,621.

I guess my point is winning or not plays no part in Philadelphia as to the amount of people who go to the game.

I am interested to see if that is still the case when the Eagles start to have a period of bad years. There are a lot of new guys on the block since the Eagles have been winning. The fans from the '60 and '70 can no longer afford tickets, if they can find them. Corp. deals, boxes, and psl's cut the single game tickes to almost nothing. Use to have 5 to 6 thousand game day tickets per game back then. They sold out. Now you are lucky if these are that many for the season.

They yell and ***** up here now about not winning a super bowl. The F.O. is cheap and doesn't want to win, Reid is not a good coach. The past ten years have never been better. This to me is bandwagen. The Eagles have a lot of them now. A fan of any team is the guy who goes to the game or turns on the tv when you know beforehand that you have little chance of winning the game. I have done that for more years then I like to admit. Why? Because it's about the players that play the game on both sides. I may root against Dallas, The Giants and Wash., but I respect them.