valleytexfan
03-01-2009, 07:02 PM
What you guys think of this possibility

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6288717.html

The1ApplePie
03-01-2009, 07:04 PM

Think of the tax revenue off the booze sales if we sign Benson and draft Alex Boone

Jackie Chiles
03-01-2009, 07:05 PM
I guess we could do worse. As long as he is cheap, 3.5 ypc is not something we should bid aggressively for.

HouSportsWriter
03-01-2009, 07:05 PM
i love it 797 yards in 2008 i say sign him

GuerillaBlack
03-01-2009, 07:07 PM
He did alright last year with the Bengals, especially towards the second half of the season IIRC. I say sign him.

Honoring Earl 34
03-01-2009, 07:07 PM
Benson and Erik Winston were high school teammates . If Winston gave a greenlight and he passed a physical , I wouldn't hesitate to sign him if the price was right .

Why ... this , like Smith would give some flexibility to the draft . You wouldn't have to worry about depth and draft the bpa .

ChampionTexan
03-01-2009, 07:08 PM
Think of the tax revenue off the booze sales if we sign Benson and draft Alex Boone

You think too small - the fines for the DUI's would be much larger, and would go directly to the city!

Stemp
03-01-2009, 07:10 PM
I don't like it unless he comes dirt cheap, which he probably won't.

imatexan
03-01-2009, 07:11 PM
I wouldnt mind it at all if we could get him for cheap.

The1ApplePie
I'm hoping Maroney gets released and we get him myself

Texaninlild
I think I don't like the guy, but he had more success as the backup in Chicago than the feature back. I do think he has an attitude that could be a cancer because I doubt he was humbled by his sucking ass in Chicago..

He cost my high school a chance at a state title.

TEXANRED
03-01-2009, 07:12 PM

Here we go again.

Is there not a 100+ page thread about this from last year?

HouSportsWriter
03-01-2009, 07:13 PM
go texans! get him and pay cheap so we can get reid of chris brown

Revolution
03-01-2009, 07:15 PM
Here we go again.

Different year, different situation. We actually brought him in this year. Last year was pure conjecture...

RipTraxx
03-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Did benson ever run the ZBS? Im down with almost any back that runs that system. Except chris brown.

Honoring Earl 34
03-01-2009, 07:17 PM
Different year, different situation. We actually brought him in this year. Last year was pure conjecture...

If he signs here , I'm buying a Taco Bell and putting it next to where he lives ... jk .

GP
03-01-2009, 07:17 PM
Cedric did fairly well with an awful Bengals team.

Since we didn't even look at him last year, I figured he wouldn't be looked at THIS year. Wrong!

This certainly makes things interesting.

I figured we had spent Bobby McNair's free agency "allowance" already. Guess not. Of course, we might not be able to offer much. I wonder how much of the Ward/Benson possibility is an honest effort to sign one of those, or if it's just to see if we can snag one of them "on the cheap?"

Hmmmmm.....the announcement of Benson's scheduled visit is interesting.

nunusguy
03-01-2009, 07:18 PM
Benson and Erik Winston were high school teammates . If Winston gave a greenlight and he passed a physical , I wouldn't hesitate to sign him if the price was right .

Why ... this , like Smith would give some flexibility to the draft . You wouldn't have to worry about depth and draft the bpa .
Benson & Winston were HS teammates ? Verrry interesting.
BTW, speaking of Winston, isn't he getting married today ?

HouSportsWriter
03-01-2009, 07:20 PM

wedding gift for winston =p

mattieuk
03-01-2009, 07:20 PM
I worry about this move. His attitude and off the field problems are enough to make me think that this isn't clever. We haven't been the luckiest with injuries, and the last thing we need is off the field distractions. I think some of his troubles have been people laying **** on him, which was perhaps not warranted, but I would like to see him go a year without ending up in the back of a squad car before committing money to him,

Football wise I'm sure he'd be a solid producer with Stevie, but with his attitude and ego, I'm really not a fan of his.

dalemurphy
03-01-2009, 07:22 PM
I haven't thought much of the guy since his sophomore year in Texas. He was a great back as a freshman and never played up to that level again. I think he was awful in Chicago and his attitude stinks. I was adamant against him coming here last year. All that being said, he was better than I expected with Cincinnati. He'd come really cheap so I actually wouldn't mind bringing him in here for competition... I'd still rather pay Derrick Ward a decent contract but I'll take Ced and CBrown fighting for a roster spot in August behind Slaton and a couple rookies... along with Moats.

Honoring Earl 34
03-01-2009, 07:24 PM

That's probably where Gary is .

Honoring Earl 34
03-01-2009, 07:25 PM
I haven't thought much of the guy since his sophomore year in Texas. He was a great back as a freshman and never played up to that level again. I think he was awful in Chicago and his attitude stinks. I was adamant against him coming here last year. All that being said, he was better than I expected with Cincinnati. He'd come really cheap so I actually wouldn't mind bringing him in here for competition... I'd still rather pay Derrick Ward a decent contract but I'll take Ced and CBrown fighting for a roster spot in August behind Slaton and a couple rookies... along with Moats.

Benson had a ton of carries from a sophmore in highschool through college .

PHAROAH
03-01-2009, 07:27 PM
Man if he is reformed I say sign him good short yardage back to compliment Steve Slaton.

TEXANRED
03-01-2009, 07:29 PM
its only been 25 minutes and already halfway past page 2.

I say there is a little bit of buzz for the man to be a Texan.

GP
03-01-2009, 07:31 PM
If a defender doesn't go at Cedric's legs and wrap them up, from what I saw last season, Cedric gets good yardage.

That's what we need: A guy who bounces off tacklers, and who can lower his head and get 2-3 yards on short yardage situations.

TEXANRED
03-01-2009, 07:32 PM

I still think his poor attitude in Chicago was a result of his team-mates taking exception to Ced getting handed the job over Jones.

The entire episode was a sign of poor management by Lovie and the GM.

ArlingtonTexan
03-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Here we go again.

I don't know about the 100 page part (not looking up), but bringing in Benson has been one the post overtalked about possibilites ever on this board. Glad that he is coming just so i don't have weed through that stuff again.

TEXANRED
03-01-2009, 07:33 PM
If a defender doesn't go at Cedric's legs and wrap them up, from what I saw last season, Cedric gets good yardage.

That's what we need: A guy who bounces off tacklers, and who can lower his head and get 2-3 yards on short yardage situations.

You mean a short yardage guy that actually gets short yardage? You mean the type of guy that can score from the one yard line the first time? Thats silly talk.

rarazz00
03-01-2009, 07:37 PM
Sign him..this way I can be his Bartender/Chauffer./and Boat Captain...he'll have no more arrests..:tiphat:

ChampionTexan
03-01-2009, 07:39 PM
I still think his poor attitude in Chicago was a result of his team-mates taking exception to Ced getting handed the job over Jones.

The entire episode was a sign of poor management by Lovie and the GM.

I'm really confused. I'm sure that all of his problems in Chicago were someone else's fault, and not his, but I really need to know who to blame most - the other players, the coaches, or management. Please be a little bit more detailed.

GP
03-01-2009, 07:40 PM
I don't know about the 100 page part (not looking up), but bringing in Benson has been one the post overtalked about possibilites ever on this board. Glad that he is coming just so i don't have weed through that stuff again.

Did you say "weed?"

:photos:

GP
03-01-2009, 07:41 PM
Sign him..this way I can be his Bartender/Chauffer./and Boat Captain...he'll have no more arrests..:tiphat:

Yes, I say we "lock him up!" ASAP as our RB2.

:cowboy1:

GP
03-01-2009, 07:42 PM
its only been 25 minutes and already halfway past page 2.

I say there is a little bit of buzz for the man to be a Texan.

Did you say "buzz?"

rarazz00
03-01-2009, 07:43 PM
Yes, I say we "lock him up!" ASAP as our RB2.

:cowboy1:

LOL:spit:

PapaL
After being out of football for a hot minute, I think he realized how quickly the NFL can be gone.

Being as he did well and didn't get in trouble in CIN (one of the few guys who either stayed clean or didn't get caught) - whats the worst that could happen by signing him?

phantom17
Alright! Mr. Smith pls get it done!!!! I think he would compliment Steve well!!:doot:

Hardcore Texan
03-01-2009, 07:47 PM
If we can get him for cheap, let him compete in camp and see if he can be our #2.

GP
03-01-2009, 07:49 PM
After being out of football for a hot minute, I think he realized how quickly the NFL can be gone.

Being as he did well and didn't get in trouble in CIN (one of the few guys who either stayed clean or didn't get caught) - whats the worst that could happen by signing him?

Cedric didn't pull a PacMan when he got a second chance.

Just the fact that he wasn't on an arrest blotter all year is proof that Cedric "gets it," whereas others don't.

You're right: He took the 2nd chance and made the best of it. I still think I'd rather have Ward, but Cedric might be willing to give the Texans a better deal than Ward will. Wouldn't be surprised if he's cheaper than Ward, and the Texans will jump all over the savings.

TEXANRED
03-01-2009, 07:51 PM
I'm really confused. I'm sure that all of his problems in Chicago were someone else's fault, and not his, but I really need to know who to blame most - the other players, the coaches, or management. Please be a little bit more detailed.

Jay Glazer was on Dan Patrick's radio show today, and he told Patrick about the 2006 training camp depth-chart battle between Thomas Jones and Cedric Benson. Lovie Smith favored Benson, but the Bears players ... well, they had a pretty clear favorite

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/The-Chicago-Bears-defense-does-not-endorse-Cedri?urn=nfl,87187

Errant Hothy
03-01-2009, 07:55 PM
Cedric didn't pull a PacMan when he got a second chance.

Just the fact that he wasn't on an arrest blotter all year is proof that Cedric "gets it," whereas others don't.

You're right: He took the 2nd chance and made the best of it. I still think I'd rather have Ward, but Cedric might be willing to give the Texans a better deal than Ward will. Wouldn't be surprised if he's cheaper than Ward, and the Texans will jump all over the savings.

Indeed. Ced's performance on and off teh field last year showed that he has learned from what happened and deserves a legit chance anywhere in the NFL.

I say bring him in.

DocBar
03-01-2009, 08:05 PM
If we can get him for cheap, SWEET!!! RB's are a lot easier to come by than just about any other position, so I wouldn't want to see us get stupid about it. I DO like the fact that we're getting a lot of our "need" positions locked up early in FA. Like the signings or not, the FO is being very aggressive and seemed to have done their homework. I like the fact that we get the deal done when we want a player. This makes the draft wide open. This is gonna such a great offseason!!!

Ole Miss Texan
03-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Not really in favor either way. I'll echo the sentiment of "as long as it's cheap". I like the Antonio Smith and Dan Olvasky signings but there is not need to give Benson a lot of money.

I would rather Derrick Ward but if we gotta take Benson then so be it. I'd like to know how Chris Brown is doing. My feelings would be if we got Ward, we wouldn't need to address RB in the draft until late round if at all. If we get Benson, we still should look at RB in the draft for sure.

PapaL
03-01-2009, 08:22 PM
If the guy stay healthy, out of the Police blotter and contributes - I don't care what his previous knocks were.

I saw him play some w/CIN and it looked like a different RB then the one that previously played w/CHI.

texanfan2002114
03-01-2009, 08:24 PM

Are you being serious? Benson got better each year and proved he could be an every down back his senior year.

Att. Yards TD YPC
223 1053 12 4.7
305 1293 12 4.2
258 1360 21 5.3
326 1834 19 5.6

Totals
1112 5540 64 5.0

I hope the Texans sign him!!

GuerillaBlack
03-01-2009, 08:46 PM
Speaking of Derrick Ward, how is that deal coming along?

CloakNNNdagger
03-01-2009, 08:46 PM
McNair could even make a couple of bucks back by attracting UT fans into the seats with this move..........especially when they get their $13.50 back from Obama.:dangit:

Htownsportsfan
03-01-2009, 08:48 PM

There has been a lot of life lived since those two were in high school. Cedric's year in Austin and Chicago mean he wont be the same wide eyed kid he waqs in high school.

TEXANRED
03-01-2009, 08:48 PM
McNair could even make a couple of bucks back by attracting UT fans into the seats with this move..........especially when they get their $13.50 back from Obama.:dangit:

If you don't want your 13.50 I will give you my address so you can mail me yours.

Fox
03-01-2009, 08:55 PM
Count me in to the "as long as he's cheap" crowd. I think Cedric wants to come play here to be close to home. He showed enough last season to make me think he could help us, if he signs to a reasonable deal he's worth a shot.

GP
03-01-2009, 08:58 PM
Speaking of Derrick Ward, how is that deal coming along?

Reports say he was in Denver today.

Not sure where he goes after Denver. Philly, Houston, and Tampa Bay are said to be his scheduled stops.

I think he fits best at Tampa Bay. Denver just signed two veteran RBs, Philly has a sure RB1, and we have a sure RB1. The Bucs definitely need a RB1.

I bet Cedric will play for us for less than Ward will. I bet we end up signing Benson to a one-year deal, two at the most.

Remember last year when he tried to say that he was visiting the Texans, and Kubiak laughed it off in an interview and was like "Really? Wow. That's news to me..." Ouch.

And here we are. He was eating us up in the game at Reliant this year, and would have done more if they had put up a respectable passing game. There were some plays, specifically one at midfield that I remember Cedric just plowing over our defenders and I was like "Sheesh. This might get ugly."

Anyways, I'd rather have Ward. But I bet he wants the Tampa Bay gig.

CloakNNNdagger
03-01-2009, 09:01 PM
If you don't want your 13.50 I will give you my address so you can mail me yours.

If I ever see it, I'll let you know so that you can give me your address. I will have to charge you S&H. If it comes to me in pennies, shipping it to you will cost you about $9.50. If you want it ASAP over night, that will be $36.90. Meanwhile, I'll be waiting for my government return with bated breath.

TEXANRED
03-01-2009, 09:02 PM
If I ever see it, I'll let you know so that you can give me your address. I will have to charge you S&H. If it comes to me in pennies, shipping it to you will cost you about $9.50. If you want it ASAP over night, that will be $36.90. Meanwhile, I'll be waiting for my government return with bated breath.

I only take money orders and I will meet you somewhere.:thisbig:

GP
03-01-2009, 09:06 PM
Count me in to the "as long as he's cheap" crowd. I think Cedric wants to come play here to be close to home. He showed enough last season to make me think he could help us, if he signs to a reasonable deal he's worth a shot.

An article on the new ESPNmagazine is about Matt Birk of the Vikings.

It's about "The Hometown Discount" that is being used a lot by NFL teams. The theory is that a lot of NFL teams are able to lure players onto their roster for a lot less money than a player would normally take...due to the player having ties to the city or area where the team plays.

Birk is a homegrown Minnesotan. He says he knows he could get a few million more in other markets, but he has a wife and 3 or 4 small children who love it in Minnesota. To them, it's not worth uprooting and moving away.

Cedric would be back near Austin. Now, that's a hometown "discount" that might not be an overall good idea for Ced (with what's happened in the past). It might be a liability in the end.

That's where I'm at in my theory that Ced might play for us, for less, than what we think he would normally command in a contract at this stage. He played well enough for Cincy that I think it bumped him back into the picture for a lot of teams. Still, look at players off of teams like Detroit and Cincinatti: They are fleeing if they can. Don't you know Orlovsky was thrilled to get a deal with us?

Cedric might be in the same boat (hee-hee! i made another funny...).

CloakNNNdagger
03-01-2009, 09:07 PM
I only take money orders and I will meet you somewhere.:thisbig:

I don't feel real secure carrying that type of money on me. You aren't setting me up for a mugging are you?:eek:

TEXANRED
03-01-2009, 09:12 PM
I don't feel real secure carrying that type of money on me. You aren't setting me up for a mugging are you?:eek:

Well thanks to Bush and the Patriot act I do know where you live........:whip:

TexansFanatic
03-01-2009, 09:13 PM
Kick ass! Sign the guy! He's a bruiser and a one cut guy. Sign the guy!

CloakNNNdagger
03-01-2009, 09:17 PM
well thanks to bush and the patriot act i do know where you live........:whip:

You vewy funny guy!!!!!!!!

CloakNNNdagger
03-01-2009, 09:22 PM
Kick ass! Sign the guy! He's a bruiser and a one cut guy. Sign the guy!

I would have like to see if we could swing a deal with the Raiders for Michael Bush........but I think that if Benson got back to Texas, he'd prabably have something to prove, and would play like a man possessed.

bckey
03-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Well thanks to Bush and the Patriot act I do know where you live........:whip:

When enough time passes and we can look back I'll bet you Bush will go down in history as a better president than Obama. Of course the media would have you think Obama is our saviour. Time will tell.:twocents:

I'd be ok with signing Benson if he comes cheap enough.

WesmanTexanfan
03-01-2009, 09:34 PM
I would have like to see if we could swing a deal with the Raiders for Michael Bush........but I think that if Benson got back to Texas, he'd prabably have something to prove, and would play like a man possessed.

I would love to see Bush in Houston, He isn't known but If he'd have been healthy his senior year Louisville coud have competed for a National Championship. I'm pretty sure he was drafted 100th overall, I was watchinng to see who'd get him late hoping we'd pick him up.....

I also agree that Benson being back in Texas would have to be considered, and I would love to see this guy compete in battle red..

TexansFanatic
03-01-2009, 09:41 PM

Agreed. I think not only would he be good for the Texans, I think the Texans would be good for him.

Lucky
03-01-2009, 09:52 PM
He was actually blottered twice in less than a year. But, I get it.

I've completely changed my mind on signing Benson. I do want the Texans to give him a contract, and bring him into camp. Then, Texan fans can see first hand how a college hero became an incredibly mediocre NFL running back.

Mike Kerns
03-01-2009, 10:00 PM
Rather have Ward. But I'd rather have Benson than neither of them.

GP
03-01-2009, 10:03 PM
He was actually blottered twice in less than a year. But, I get it.

I've completely changed my mind on signing Benson. I do want the Texans to give him a contract, and bring him into camp. Then, Texan fans can see first hand how a college hero became an incredibly mediocre NFL running back.

He's grown, IMO.

I tend to think UT players are a tad overrated in the jump to the NFL. And UT fans are a bit overly homer'ish in the hyping of their guys.

But I seriously think we could catch this guy on his way up. He got a little caught up in his own world while he was with the Bears. He's rebounded nicely with an utterly PATHETIC team in Cincinatti.

When the chips were down, he went to work in what I am sure was a team environment that could have brought out the worst in him.

Wanting us to sign him so that you can rag on those who genuinely would like to see if he's a good match for us? That's not who you are. Is it? If you're THAT against it, then root for us to not sign him.

Big Poundcake
03-01-2009, 10:14 PM
I hope that we sign Benson. I think Benson would be a good fit for the Texans offense.

rockabilly
03-01-2009, 11:07 PM
I like the move. I think Benson is the right size and style back to compliment Slaton. Plus, if he ends up doing good with our ZBS, he is young enough so that we can be set with him and Slaton for many years.

I think everyone gets in trouble once or so in our lives. Just because I have drove drunk and got a DUI one time doesnt mean that im going to do it everytime.

Norg
03-01-2009, 11:10 PM
hes not going to be cheap i seen the FA draft list of Running backs and he might be the second or third most Exp Back .... the cheaper ones might be the other 2 Cinncy running backs that are FA has well

HealingBullets
03-01-2009, 11:22 PM
[QUOTE=bckey;1130848]When enough time passes and we can look back I'll bet you Bush will go down in history as a better president than Obama.

This was a joke, right?

SteveSlaton20
03-01-2009, 11:44 PM
When enough time passes and we can look back I'll bet you Bush will go down in history as a better president than Obama.

This was a joke, right?He must be a Republican, or worse, an aggy. :cowboy1:

dalemurphy
03-02-2009, 12:41 AM
Are you being serious? Benson got better each year and proved he could be an every down back his senior year.

Att. Yards TD YPC
223 1053 12 4.7
305 1293 12 4.2
258 1360 21 5.3
326 1834 19 5.6

Totals
1112 5540 64 5.0

I hope the Texans sign him!!

Did you watch the games? Benson was explosive into the line his freshman year. After that, he was tentative and could be tackled by arms. The statistics mean very little considering that Benson was benched for part of his freshman season because M.Brown is an *****... and, after that, he just ran through the gaping holes left from the overpursuit of Vince Young and the zone read offense.

Specnatz
03-02-2009, 01:23 AM
Never Mind

Vinny
03-02-2009, 03:17 AM
I thought we were a little crazy for not signing him last season when he could be had on the cheap....hell, we had nothing to lose really. I hope they put something together and bring him into camp.

barrett
03-02-2009, 03:45 AM
ONLY FOR CHEAP. ONLY FOR CHEAP. ONLY FOR CHEAP. ONLY FOR CHEAP. ONLY FOR CHEAP. ONLY FOR CHEAP. ONLY FOR CHEAP. ONLY FOR CHEAP. ONLY FOR CHEAP. ONLY FOR CHEAP. ONLY FOR CHEAP. ONLY FOR CHEAP. ONLY FOR CHEAP. ONLY FOR CHEAP. ONLY FOR CHEAP. ONLY FOR CHEAP. ONLY FOR CHEAP. ONLY FOR CHEAP. ONLY FOR CHEAP. ONLY FOR CHEAP. ONLY FOR CHEAP. ONLY FOR CHEAP. ONLY FOR CHEAP. ONLY FOR CHEAP. ONLY FOR CHEAP. ONLY FOR CHEAP. ONLY FOR CHEAP. ONLY FOR CHEAP. ONLY FOR CHEAP. ONLY FOR CHEAP.

go Texans.

ATXtexanfan
03-02-2009, 04:55 AM
I'd be happy with the move, the more bodies we find before the draft the better chance we have of drafting BPA

Hervoyel
03-02-2009, 07:52 AM
I thought we were a little crazy for not signing him last season when he could be had on the cheap....hell, we had nothing to lose really. I hope they put something together and bring him into camp.

I agree completely. I was so disgusted that they didn't give him a shot last year and I'm all over that thread advocating signing him. I have to say I'm glad he basically did what I said he would do then. I'm not Nostrodamus or anything but he really only had two choices. Get serious or get to work on his life after football. He obviously decided to get serious.

He needs to come to Houston, play behind Slaton and grasp this one-cut and go system where ordinary guys look like franchise backs and franchise backs look like Hall of Famer's. He stays here one or two years and we trade him for a 1 or a 2 because he looks like he's turned it around and running for big gains like everyone expected him to coming out of college. Benson is the perfect reclamation project because he's going to have "near" Chester Taylor/Michael Turner value in a year or two if he plays his cards right.

Kaiser Toro
03-02-2009, 07:53 AM
Did you watch the games? Benson was explosive into the line his freshman year. After that, he was tentative and could be tackled by arms. The statistics mean very little considering that Benson was benched for part of his freshman season because M.Brown is an *****... and, after that, he just ran through the gaping holes left from the overpursuit of Vince Young and the zone read offense.

Did you watch the games? Benson and Young were in the same backfield for one year, 2004, Benson's senior season. In 2003, during Young's redshirt freshman season he was shuttling with drop back passer Chance Mock.

I love this move. Bring him in, let him compete.

El Tejano
03-02-2009, 07:57 AM
I think it would be a good move to get him in here. Appearantly, with him telling everyone since last year that he was going to sign with The Texans, he wants to be here. I want players who want to be here.

Like someone said earlier, if Dayne can be good in this offense, so can Benson. Maybe have lesser expectations can be good for Benson.

Errant Hothy
03-02-2009, 08:01 AM
The older Benson thread, just for inclusion purposes:
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51343&highlight=Benson

4Texans
03-02-2009, 08:09 AM
As long as he comes in here knowing and respecting the fact that Slaton is the man, then let's give him a chance.

CloakNNNdagger
03-02-2009, 08:29 AM
I agree completely. I was so disgusted that they didn't give him a shot last year and I'm all over that thread advocating signing him. I have to say I'm glad he basically did what I said he would do then. I'm not Nostrodamus or anything but he really only had two choices. Get serious or get to work on his life after football. He obviously decided to get serious.

He needs to come to Houston, play behind Slaton and grasp this one-cut and go system where ordinary guys look like franchise backs and franchise backs look like Hall of Famer's. He stays here one or two years and we trade him for a 1 or a 2 because he looks like he's turned it around and running for big gains like everyone expected him to coming out of college. Benson is the perfect reclamation project because he's going to have "near" Chester Taylor/Michael Turner value in a year or two if he plays his cards right.

If he turns out to be what many thought he should have been, I would hesistate to "cultivate" him solely for future trade/pick fodder. Today, the NFL dictates that truly successfull running teams have a tandem RB setup. RB's not uncommonly will go down short or long term.......and those teams that have only one effective RB can easily go down in flames after one unfortunate play. You don't have to look too far from home to see how that principal holds true.

El Tejano
03-02-2009, 08:29 AM
Is he SCHEDULED for a visit? If so, when?

Or has he already visited? If so, what's the outcome?

HoustonFrog
03-02-2009, 08:40 AM
Quick hitter...I like this. I was impressed what he did with a crappy situation last year. In fact in some of the games I saw he was really tearing it up but lost carries and some stats because they had to throw because they fell behind. I think if he comes in with the right attitude he can do well backing up and playing.

Texans Pride
03-02-2009, 08:50 AM
I was listening to 610 this morning, and McClain was on. They all speculated that since the Bangles want him to return, as the starter, that this could possibly be nothing more than a leverage trip.

I surely hope that is not the case, as I would love to see him backing up Slaton.

Kaiser Toro
03-02-2009, 08:54 AM
Just an fyi... Eugene Parker is Benson's agent, Purdue alum. Not stretching it to say this is two Purdue chums coming to the table to talk.

MojoMan
03-02-2009, 08:57 AM
This could be a great pickup for the Texans. They might have to pay him to get him though.

CloakNNNdagger
03-02-2009, 08:59 AM
Is he SCHEDULED for a visit? If so, when?

Or has he already visited? If so, what's the outcome?

He's meeting with the Texans today.

TexansFanatic
03-02-2009, 09:12 AM
I was listening to 610 this morning, and McClain was on. They all speculated that since the Bangles want him to return, as the starter, that this could possibly be nothing more than a leverage trip.

I surely hope that is not the case, as I would love to see him backing up Slaton.

Could be. But think about Ced Benson. He's a Texas guy. The Texans are a team on the rise. Cincinnati? Not so much.

El Tejano
03-02-2009, 09:15 AM
Could be. But think about Ced Benson. He's a Texas guy. The Texans are a team on the rise. Cincinnati? Not so much.

All the more leverage for Benson.

TEXANS84
03-02-2009, 09:21 AM

Cedric still lives in Austin, his girlfriend resides in Houston. He wanted to play for the Texans last year.
But, as Texans Pride indicated, this could be nothing more than a leverage trip for him. I don't know, we'll see. I for one would love to see him in a Texans uni.

nunusguy
03-02-2009, 09:29 AM
Cedric still lives in Austin, his girlfriend resides in Houston. He wanted to play for the Texans last year.
But, as Texans Pride indicated, this could be nothing more than a leverage trip for him. I don't know, we'll see. I for one would love to see him in a Texans uni.
But wanting to play for the Texans last year was before he had a very impressive year in Cinci and basically redeemed himself, atleast on the field of play. And he knows he'd be the #2 guy here with our young star running back, while he's the starter, "the guy" in Cinci. Can't imagine why he'd pass up a starting job in Cinci (or another city), to play backup here ?

MojoMan
03-02-2009, 09:46 AM
But wanting to play for the Texans last year was before he had a very impressive year in Cinci and basically redeemed himself, atleast on the field of play. And he knows he'd be the #2 guy here with our young star running back, while he's the starter, "the guy" in Cinci. Can't imagine why he'd pass up a starting job in Cinci (or another city), to play backup here ?

Benson will know that he would start out in camp as the #2 guy.

However, Slaton is not guaranteed the starting job for any extended period of time any more than Ahman Green, Wali Lundy, Dominick Williams or Jonathan Wells were in their time with the Texans. Steve Slaton played well last year, but he was hardly the second coming of Earl Campbell. Slaton will come in as the starter, but if he can't play for some reason and Benson were to come in and perform up to the expectations that everyone had of him when he was drafted fourth overall by the Bears in 2005, then Benson would probably become the starter.

I expect that the coaches will tell Benson that he will come into camp #2 on the depth chart, but that that there will be open competition for every position on the team, except for QB. They will tell him that he can win the Texan's starting RB job by clearly establishing himself as the best running back on the team. And they will mean it.

Thorn
03-02-2009, 09:57 AM
I expect that the coaches will tell Benson that he will come into camp #2 on the depth chart, but that that there will be open competition for every position on the team, except for QB. They will tell him that he can win the Texan's starting RB job by clearly establishing himself as the best running back on the team. And they will mean it.

Nothing wrong with having two RBs that can share the load and extend the shelf life for both of them.

PapaL
03-02-2009, 09:59 AM
Starting RB is a relative term.
Does it mean more to be out there for the first snap or the majority of the snaps during a game?

At the end of it all it comes down to being able to put up numbers, win rings and getting paid.

The better the "backup" RB is, the more snaps he will see.

MojoMan
03-02-2009, 09:59 AM
Nothing wrong with having two RBs that can share the load and extend the shelf life for both of them.

Absolutely.

Actually, I hope the Texans get Benson and draft another good RB in the fourth or fifth round who the Texans think has the potential to be a starter. Three backs are even better than two, especially if all three of them can play.

Ole Miss Texan
03-02-2009, 10:01 AM
I'm one that thinks stats are only one part of the story. How a player fits on this team, how he will contribute, how his strengths fit in and how his weaknesses are masked are the important issues for me. I havn't seen Benson play much if at all in the pros, especially last year on the Bengals.

How did he look? What are his strengths/weaknesses? Is he quick to the hole and decisive?

It doesn't look like a 3.5 yard average and as many fumbles as TDs (2) is "resurrecting his career".

Ole Miss Texan
03-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Absolutely.

Actually, I hope the Texans get Benson and draft another good RB in the fourth or fifth round who the Texans think has the potential to be a starter. Three backs are even better than two, especially if all three of them can play.

Slaton, Benson + Gartrell Johnson :)
Leach, Sapp

I wouldn't be against that.

nunusguy
03-02-2009, 10:05 AM
Benson will know that he would start out in camp as the #2 guy.

However, Slaton is not guaranteed the starting job for any extended period of time any more than Ahman Green, Wali Lundy, Dominick Williams or Jonathan Wells were in their time with the Texans. Steve Slaton played well last year, but he was hardly the second coming of Earl Campbell. Slaton will come in as the starter, but if he can't play for some reason and Benson were to come in and perform up to the expectations that everyone had of him when he was drafted fourth overall by the Bears in 2005, then Benson would probably become the starter.

I would to some extent conceed your argument about Slayton not having the kind of guarantee that say, Matt Schaub without question has. Of course its all a function of the respective investment the Texans have in each player.
But that doesn't apply to just QBs IMO. Think back to the situation with Jason Babin or even just last year in another fisrt-rounder who was "given" the starting job based mostley on how much the team had in him, financially speaking.

MojoMan
03-02-2009, 10:07 AM
I would to some extent conceed your argument about Slayton not having the kind of guarantee that say, Matt Schaub without question has. Of course its all a function of the respective investment the Texans in each player.
But that doesn't apply to just QBs IMO. Think back to the situation with Jason Babin or even just last year in another fisrt-rounder who was "given" the starting job based mostley on how much the team had in him, financially speaking.

Fair enough.

But if the Texans sign Benson, Benson will probably be getting paid significantly more money than Slaton. So how does that figure into the calculation of playing time?

Even though Benson will not be given the starting job outright, you know that the coaches will want to see a payoff of the investment the team is making in Benson.

buddyboy
03-02-2009, 10:13 AM
I would to some extent conceed your argument about Slayton not having the kind of guarantee that say, Matt Schaub without question has. Of course its all a function of the respective investment the Texans have in each player.

AAAAAAAAAAAH! IT'S SLATON! S-L-A-T-O-N!!!!!!

In regards to your post...Slaton was a third round pick, so he's not being handed the starting job because of financial obligation or where he was drafted.

El Tejano
03-02-2009, 10:19 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAH! IT'S SLATON! S-L-A-T-O-N!!!!!!

In regards to your post...Slaton was a third round pick, so he's not being handed the starting job because of financial obligation or where he was drafted.
And bringing in another guy + Slaton not making the Pro Bowl, will only make Speed Slaton a better back to watch this year.

TEXANRED
03-02-2009, 10:22 AM
And bringing in another guy + Slaton not making the Pro Bowl, will only make Speed Slaton a better back to watch this year.

There is nothing wrong with having a pair of thousand yard backs.

El Tejano
03-02-2009, 10:38 AM
I wonder when we will hear anything about Benson?

Wolfiegrrl
03-02-2009, 10:42 AM
It might take a while. They have to give the tour, go through the interview process, take him to lunch, talk to him some more... you know... wine and dine the man. :splits:

Texecutioner
03-02-2009, 10:46 AM
If we could get the hard running Benson that the Bengals got for the last 5 or so games of the season and wouldn't have to shell out to much money for the guy, then yeah. He would be an excellent compliment to Slaton and exactly the kind of runner we need to pair with him.

But, I wouldn't give him that much money because Benson has proven time and time again that he isn't that hard of a worker and that he'll make really poor decisions off the field. He is one arrest away from a multiple game suspension, so that never makes me feel to well either.

The Pencil Neck
03-02-2009, 10:51 AM
I don't know.

I'd still like to take a look at Derrick Ward. Granted he was running behind a better offensive line and in a better situation in the games, but I think he may be a better pick for us than Cedric Benson.

Someone earlier in the thread said that Cedric had a 7 ypc average and that's just not true. He had a 3.5 ypc average and really boosted that average against the Chiefs and the Browns in the last two games of the season. He was below 3 ypc for most of the games he was in. His best game was a 4.5 ypc game.

Ward averaged 5.6 ypc and his best game was a 14.6 ypc game. His worst was a 2.8 ypc game against the Steelers.

Maybe Benson would do better behind our line but... for me, Ward looks like the better guy. He's used to sharing carries and he takes advantage of the ones he gets.

TexansFan33
03-02-2009, 10:55 AM
I don't know.

I'd still like to take a look at Derrick Ward. Granted he was running behind a better offensive line and in a better situation in the games, but I think he may be a better pick for us than Cedric Ward.

Someone earlier in the thread said that Cedric had a 7 ypc average and that's just not true. He had a 3.5 ypc average and really boosted that average against the Chiefs and the Browns in the last two games of the season. He was below 3 ypc for most of the games he was in. His best game was a 4.5 ypc game.

Ward averaged 5.6 ypc and his best game was a 14.6 ypc game. His worst was a 2.8 ypc game against the Steelers.

Maybe Benson would do better behind our line but... for me, Ward looks like the better guy. He's used to sharing carries and he takes advantage of the ones he gets.

Who's Cedric Ward??!

TimeKiller
03-02-2009, 10:58 AM
When this one came up last time I hopped from being okay with it to not wanting it to happen and back again. Ended up not wanting it, so that's where I'll stand now. Guys who need this much of a wake up call make me nervous although the fit is obviously there. I think I'd rather draft a guy, even if he was signed.

The Pencil Neck
03-02-2009, 10:59 AM
Who's Cedric Ward??!

:)

Cedric Benson. Ward is his maiden name.

I'll edit it.

Porky
03-02-2009, 11:03 AM
Give me Derrick Ward any day over Ced Benson. If we do sign Benson, I'll reluctanly support the move, but I'll want to draft a RB somewhere as ins. I don't think much of his personal character, and I don't think much of his football character either. I don't get the adoration at all for this guy. Cedric Bustson is just another Ronnie Dayne with a UT background.

Ward is just a flat out much better player. With Ward, I'm good with Slaton, Ward, C Brown, Moats, and maybe an undrafted FA or two as competition.

TEXANS84
03-02-2009, 11:04 AM
He is one arrest away from a multiple game suspension, so that never makes me feel to well either.

Both arrests/charges were dropped.

Errant Hothy
03-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Is Ward a better RB then Benson? Certainly.

Will Ward's contract demands be greater then Benson's? Most definatly.

I'd rather take a chance with Benson at lower dollars then with Ward at bigger money.

D_Money85
03-02-2009, 11:08 AM
As much i would like to have Ward i like this move to try to sign him if the money is right and his head is right. i say do it.

4Texans
03-02-2009, 11:10 AM
I don't know.

I'd still like to take a look at Derrick Ward. Granted he was running behind a better offensive line and in a better situation in the games, but I think he may be a better pick for us than Cedric Benson.

I would love to see Derrick Ward with the Texans, but I know there is no way. :kingkong: He wants to be the man, and get paid as the man.

The Pencil Neck
03-02-2009, 11:20 AM
I would love to see Derrick Ward with the Texans, but I know there is no way. :kingkong: He wants to be the man, and get paid as the man.

He mentioned the Texans as an option prior to FA starting. He said he'd love to share carries with Slaton.

TexansFan33
03-02-2009, 11:22 AM
how come when someone has a good year they want to become the highest paid at their position EVER. what ever happened to guys jus playing out there contracts and doing there job?

Texecutioner
03-02-2009, 11:26 AM
Both arrests/charges were dropped.

Yeah, but if I'm not mistaken didn't he get into trouble before that?

I doubt the league will go to easy on him.

I think he could be a great addition to Slaton if we get the guy that played in Cinci for a few games at the end of the season, but with Benson you're rolling the dice. If you're going to roll the dice, then make sure you don't put to much money on the line. I'd be okay with bringing him here, but not for that much money. He has to strong of potential to start slacking off again like he did in Chicago. Their entire team couldn't stand the guy and talked about his lack of a work ethic.

Goldensilence
03-02-2009, 11:35 AM
I wouldn't mind Benson coming in to play if the contract isn't too expensive. Although he isn't a choir boy and I think the situation in Chicago was just a bad one from the word go. Both charges were dropped and I think he's a back that would understand one cut and go.

I like Derrick Ward's game a lot but I think he's looking for a pretty big payday and the starter role. I think he's going to want too much.

I really like Slaton a lot and the kid proved last year he can take a large portion of the payload. I'd really like to see a guy come in and share some of the carries though so he's explosive throughout the year. It also scares me to think if an injury happens as of right now we have Chris Brown and Ryan Moats to start the season. Chris if healthy could carry the bulk of the load but that's the problem. Moats is a good situational guy but can't carry the rock 20+ times a game and not break down.

Whether it is address in FA or in the draft we need a guy that can split carries and carry the load if Slaton goes down.

The Pencil Neck
03-02-2009, 11:38 AM
Yeah, but if I'm not mistaken didn't he get into trouble before that?

I doubt the league will go to easy on him.

I think he could be a great addition to Slaton if we get the guy that played in Cinci for a few games at the end of the season, but with Benson you're rolling the dice. If you're going to roll the dice, then make sure you don't put to much money on the line. I'd be okay with bringing him here, but not for that much money. He has to strong of potential to start slacking off again like he did in Chicago. Their entire team couldn't stand the guy and talked about his lack of a work ethic.

And he didn't look that good in Cincy EXCEPT in the final couple of games. I'm just not convinced that he's as good a back as a lot of people here seem to think.

I'll be OK with the signing if it happens but I'm expecting less production from him than we got from Ahman Green.

MojoMan
03-02-2009, 11:40 AM
I wouldn't mind Benson coming in to play if the contract isn't too expensive. Although he isn't a choir boy and I think the situation in Chicago was just a bad one from the word go. Both charges were dropped and I think he's a back that would understand one cut and go.

I like Derrick Ward's game a lot but I think he's looking for a pretty big payday and the starter role. I think he's going to want too much.

I really like Slaton a lot and the kid proved last year he can take a large portion of the payload. I'd really like to see a guy come in and share some of the carries though so he's explosive throughout the year. It also scares me to think if an injury happens as of right now we have Chris Brown and Ryan Moats to start the season. Chris if healthy could carry the bulk of the load but that's the problem. Moats is a good situational guy but can't carry the rock 20+ times a game and not break down.

Whether it is address in FA or in the draft we need a guy that can split carries and carry the load if Slaton goes down.

Chris Brown is not currently on the Texan's roster.

Texecutioner
03-02-2009, 11:44 AM
And he didn't look that good in Cincy EXCEPT in the final couple of games. I'm just not convinced that he's as good a back as a lot of people here seem to think.

I'll be OK with the signing if it happens but I'm expecting less production from him than we got from Ahman Green.

Yeah, I'm not to sold that he'll stay consistent either. The thing I like about him though is that he is a bruiser and exactly the kind of RB we need to pair with Slaton. I just wouldn't put much of an investment in him. He was barely even able to sign with anyone last season because he seemed to washed up and also kept getting arrested. THey may have been dropped, but still it can't be denied that he is a guy that finds trouble. He found it all of the time at Texas and they were able to keep most of his troubles under wraps and even had charges dropped for him.

I wouldn't mind giving him a one year deal because if he tanks then he tanks. It's only one year and he'll still be motivated to play hard, but I'm sure he's looking for a multi year deal. I'm just not sure that I'd want to trust that he'll stay consistent for that long.

Goldensilence
03-02-2009, 11:51 AM

So you think he won't even see the field? IMO it's not that he's super great or anything but I think he's a viable option behind Slaton. I think it's not that he's being made out as a great RB here as much as people like the possible low risk high reward scenario.

You're right even worse then I thought. Should remember next time to check depth chart before opening my mouth.

Grams
03-02-2009, 11:53 AM

Chris Brown is listed on the injured reserve list - as per the Texans official website roster.

MojoMan
03-02-2009, 11:58 AM
Chris Brown is listed on the injured reserve list - as per the Texans official website roster.

Thanks for that information.

Does that automatically infer that he will be on the roster next year?

Does anyone know how long the contract is that the Texans signed with Chris Brown?

What is Chris Brown's status in recovering from his injury?

The Pencil Neck
03-02-2009, 12:10 PM
So you think he won't even see the field? IMO it's not that he's super great or anything but I think he's a viable option behind Slaton. I think it's not that he's being made out as a great RB here as much as people like the possible low risk high reward scenario.

Green didn't see the field much but he saw the field. 74 carries for 294 yards and 3 TD's last year. 11 receptions for 32 yards.

With all the games where Benson got 1-2 yards per carry last year, we may get similar numbers.

Thorn
03-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Maybe it's just me, but the more I read about Benson in this thread the less I like him.

MojoMan
03-02-2009, 12:15 PM
This just in from the Houston Chronicle:

Ex-Longhorn Benson says he'd like to play for Texans (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6289379.html)

Running back Cedric Benson arrived in Houston from Austin today to meet with the Texans, who are looking for a player to back up Steve Slaton.

After filling two needs by signing left defensive end Antonio Smith and backup quarterback Dan Orlovsky, the Texans are looking for a back who complements Slaton, who rushed for 1,282 yards as a rookie and compiled 1,659 yards from scrimmage to go with 10 touchdowns.

“I like being in Texas and Houston’s close to home,” Benson said after arriving at Hobby Airport. “I think the possibility is good (about signing with the Texans), but there’s always a business side to everything.”

Benson, 26, is a Midland native who played at the University of Texas before Chicago selected him with the fourth overall pick in 2005. Released after three years with the Bears, Benson signed with Cincinnati last season and rushed for 747 yards in 10 starts.

Benson was asked why he would accept a backup role with the Texans rather than a starting job with the Bengals.

“The business side here might be better than the business side in Cincinnati,” Benson said about contract negotiations.

“Also, there’s the Super Bowl. I had an opportunity to go to one (with Chicago), and I’d like to go back and win.”

Last year, the Texans weren’t interested in Benson when he was waived by the Bears. They became interested after watching him play for the Bengals and stay out of trouble off the field.

Benson’s legal issues have been cleared up.

“I have matured a little more,” he said. “A young man changes after he turns 21.”

The Bengals are trying to re-sign Benson, who had three 100-yard games for them. He closed the season with 171 and 111 yards in victories over Cleveland and Kansas City. The Bengals finished with a three-game winning streak in which Benson averaged 118.3 yards rushing.

“I think I proved that I’m the player everybody thought I could be,” Benson said. “I think it showed that I can get the job done, being a full-time back and carry the load.”

“Chicago fans asked me what was the difference? I told them it was simple: They gave me the football.”

Mike Kerns
03-02-2009, 12:29 PM
This just in from the Houston Chronicle:

Ah, was coming to post this.

Maybe they want to have Ward visit before they make any offers.

TEXANRED
03-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Steve Slatons contract:

7/21/2008: Signed a four-year, $2.370 million contract. The deal included a $664,500 signing bonus. 2009: $385,000, 2010: $470,000, 2011: $555,000, 2012: Free Agent

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFL&id=4651

So unless Steve is about to get a raise or Benson takes a heck of a pay cut I don't see him signing here.

To bad too cus we would not only win the division with a beefed up D but maybe even make it to the SB with a sick running game like these two could bring.

Texans34Life
03-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Benson-Slaton tandem would work for Texans (http://blogs.chron.com/jeromesolomon/2009/03/post_87.html)

Not that I'm psychic, but ...

I believe I mentioned during the football season that a Cedric Benson-Steve Slaton combo at running back would be pretty decent.

When the teams around here listen to what we tell them, they fare better.

Benson, who is a free agent, is in town for a visit.

The Texans couldn't do much better than the Midland native (Derrick Ward's about it, and he's probably too expensive), and they certainly won't find a running back of his caliber in the draft.

This would be a great move in many ways.

Cedric told me when that he figured out a few things in his stint with the Bears that made him a better player with the Bengals this past season.

He was running like the hard-charging back that we grew accustomed to watching at Texas. For a host of reasons, he was not that guy for most of his time with the Bears.

This year, he looked slim, quick and we saw that the first defender had difficulty bringing him down. The YAC were way up. That's the Cedric Benson we know.

He would be a great signing for the Texans. Getting the financial package together that he will accept might be the issue.

I expect a number of teams to be in the hunt for his services, and the Bengals want him back as a starter. I think Houston is one of the best fits for his game - even as a split-time back with Slaton - and his life. I know the Texans locker room, and Benson would be right at home there.

The off-the-field incidents last offseason were overblown. The two arrests got highlight coverage, while the dropping of those charges didn't register much notice. (Benson has even considered suing one arresting agency.)

The Texans has the best offense in team history last year. Benson could help take it to another level. He would look good behind Alex Gibbs' blocking scheme.

TEXANRED
03-02-2009, 12:34 PM
Maybe it's just me, but the more I read about Benson in this thread the less I like him.

Why is that? He basicaly said that the Texans are SB bound and the Bungles aren't.

MojoMan
03-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Steve Slatons contract:

7/21/2008: Signed a four-year, $2.370 million contract. The deal included a $664,500 signing bonus. 2009: $385,000, 2010: $470,000, 2011: $555,000, 2012: Free Agent

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFL&id=4651

So unless Steve is about to get a raise or Benson takes a heck of a pay cut I don't see him signing here.

To bad too cus we would not only win the division with a beefed up D but maybe even make it to the SB with a sick running game like these two could bring.

What makes you think he would not be signed for more money than Slaton?

I mean, it may not seem fair, but what does fairness have to do with anything? Slaton is still playing through his rookie contract, which is for less than what a free agent like Benson will receive. When Slaton enters free agency, he will get a raise too, if he remains healthy and continues to play well.

Specnatz
03-02-2009, 12:40 PM

2/9 Ahman Green Taken off IR (knee).
Fred Weary Taken off IR (right leg).
Harry Williams Taken off IR (fractured vertebra).
Chris Brown Taken off IR (back).
Jimmy Williams Taken off IR (left knee).
Zac Diles Taken off IR (leg).
Antwaun Molden Taken off IR (ankle).
Scott Jackson Taken off IR (foot).
Earl Cochran Taken off IR (turf toe).
C.C. Brown Taken off IR (broken arm).
Stanley McClover Taken off IR.
Chris Taylor Taken off IR (quadricep

http://www.nfl.com/teams/houstontexans/transactions?team=HOU

Mark Bruener is listed on the roster and he is a FA.

2/27 Mark Bruener declared free agent.

The information has not been updated.

Thorn
03-02-2009, 12:41 PM
Why is that? He basicaly said that the Texans are SB bound and the Bungles aren't.

I get nervous about underachievers with arrest records. Yeah, I know, the charges were dropped and he did a good job running last year. It may be all in my head, but I’m still a tad nervous about it.

Mike Kerns
03-02-2009, 12:44 PM
I get nervous about underachievers with arrest records. Yeah, I know, the charges were dropped and he did a good job running last year. It may be all in my head, but I’m still a tad nervous about it.

I wouldnt say Im nervous. Just a little cautiously optimistic. Unlike Ahman Green, who I didnt want from the first time he was mentioned in rumors to come here.

JWarren14
03-02-2009, 12:46 PM
If the "business side" doesn't negatively effect the components that go into re-signing our core players and bringing in a few more FAs along with signing our draftees then I say pull the trigger. I trust Smith enough to know he won't commit too much in the deal if there is one. It has to be heavily incentive based.. We need at least 2 RBs who can stay healthy, out of trouble, and will contribute consistently. One other RB who is there in a just-in-case role and we will be set.

The question is, who else could fill this role if we don't sign Benson? The other UFAs still out there are:

Reuben Droughns
Warrick Dunn
Nick Goings
Ahman Green
Noah Herron
Maurice Hicks
Deuce McAllister
Cedric Benson
Jesse Chatman
DeShaun Foster
Rudi Johnson
Kevin Jones
LaMont Jordan
Travis Minor
Michael Pittman
Dominic Rhodes
Tony Richardson
Aaron Stecker
Derrick Ward
Jamel White
Jason Wright

If we don't find one, then RB obviously is a need in the draft, so far it looks like the Texans are attempting to fill needs through FA so they can go mostly BPA through the draft. I like how he sees the Texans as SB contenders and not the lowly Texans. You may have to take his Cincy stats as you take Orvlosky's stats because Cincy was pretty awful and their division has Baltimore and Pittsburgh who are two dominant defenses.

MojoMan
03-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Just saying.

The question is, who else could fill this role if we don't sign Benson? The other UFAs still out there are:

Reuben Droughns
Warrick Dunn
Nick Goings
Ahman Green
Noah Herron
Maurice Hicks
Deuce McAllister
Cedric Benson
Jesse Chatman
DeShaun Foster
Rudi Johnson
Kevin Jones
LaMont Jordan
Travis Minor
Michael Pittman
Dominic Rhodes
Tony Richardson
Aaron Stecker
Derrick Ward
Jamel White
Jason Wright

TexansFan33
03-02-2009, 12:49 PM
If the "business side" doesn't negatively effect the components that go into re-signing our core players and bringing in a few more FAs along with signing our draftees then I say pull the trigger. I trust Smith enough to know he won't commit too much in the deal if there is one. It has to be heavily incentive based.. We need at least 2 RBs who can stay healthy, out of trouble, and will contribute consistently. One other RB who is there in a just-in-case role and we will be set.

Reuben Droughns
Warrick Dunn
Nick Goings
Ahman Green
Noah Herron
Maurice Hicks
Deuce McAllister
Cedric Benson
Jesse Chatman
DeShaun Foster
Rudi Johnson
Kevin Jones
LaMont Jordan
Travis Minor
Michael Pittman
Dominic Rhodes
Tony Richardson
Aaron Stecker
Derrick Ward
Jamel White
Jason Wright

If we don't find one, then RB obviously is a need in the draft, so far it looks like the Texans are attempting to fill needs through FA so they can go mostly BPA through the draft. I like how he sees the Texans as SB contenders and not the lowly Texans. You may have to take his Cincy stats as you take Orvlosky's stats because Cincy was pretty awful and their division has Baltimore and Pittsburgh who are two dominant defenses.

From this list give me Cedric Benson and KJ

TEXANRED
03-02-2009, 12:56 PM
What makes you think he would not be signed for more money than Slaton?

I mean, it may not seem fair, but what does fairness have to do with anything? Slaton is still playing through his rookie contract, which is for less than what a free agent like Benson will receive. When Slaton enters free agency, he will get a raise too, if he remains healthy and continues to play well.

You dont pay backups more than your starters.

Errant Hothy
03-02-2009, 01:00 PM

Then by that logic we can only find a back-up for Salton in rounds 4-7 of the draft. Because ALL NFL veterans will make more then a 3rd round draft choice.

MojoMan
03-02-2009, 01:03 PM

Then that will probably prohibit the signing of any free agent running backs. I don't know why the Texans are even bothering to bring Benson in for the day.

Slaton will make $385,000 in 2009. The minimum salary for Cedric Benson in 2009 appears to be $620,000, based on the minimums from the following page (near the bottom):

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/faq.asp

And that assumes that Benson would take the minimum, which I believe the Texan's staff knew quite well that he wouldn't prior to inviting him in.

buddyboy
03-02-2009, 01:24 PM

Sometimes you do. Reeves will most likely be more highly compensated than Bennett (should Bennett start in front of Reeves). He's playing through his rookie contract. He'll get his payday after it's up, so yes, I would say that it's not unheard of to pay a veteran backup more than a second year starter.

Specnatz
03-02-2009, 01:44 PM

So that is why Weaver and Greenwood were starting, to hell with how they perform.

bigbrewster2000
03-02-2009, 02:00 PM

That makes zero sense when you involve rookie contracts. The Vet minimum is higer than a 3rd round and below contract. You couldnt run a team with your theory.

Specnatz
03-02-2009, 02:01 PM
That makes zero sense when you involve rookie contracts. The Vet minimum is higer than a 3rd round and below contract. You couldnt run a team with your theory.

Yes he could, run it right into the ground.

Dread-Head
03-02-2009, 02:08 PM
FIFTY BUCKS!!!...if he's willing and able to pay more then fine! Oh you guys were talking about paying HIM!!!

bigbrewster2000
03-02-2009, 02:12 PM

Yes he could, run it right into the ground.

I stand corrected. :specnatz::cool:

TEXANRED
03-02-2009, 02:15 PM
You guys are killing me.

You don't sit the higher paid player. You play him.

Greenwood and Weaver both began the year as starters b/c of there salary. Why else would you explain cutting them? What does it hurt to bring them back to camp for at least camp bodies and compete for a starting spot? Diles and Xavier are cheaper and younger and are going to start in front of Greenwood.

Just like Cochran and Bulman would of started in front of Weaver.

With the exception of VY being the highest paid 3rd string in history, what QB that is penciled in as the starter at the begining of the year has there back up making more than them?

And Bennett, is not going to begin the year as a starting CB.

buddyboy
03-02-2009, 02:22 PM
You guys are killing me.

Greenwood and Weaver both began the year as starters b/c of there salary. Why else would you explain cutting them? What does it hurt to bring them back to camp for at least camp bodies and compete for a starting spot? Diles and Xavier are cheaper and younger and are going to start in front of Greenwood.

With the exception of VY being the highest paid 3rd string in history, what QB that is penciled in as the starter at the begining of the year has there back up making more than them?

I notice you didn't say anything about Steve Slaton's backup, the whole reason this chain of posts began. By your logic of backups not being paid more than starters, the only backup RBs we could potentially sign are 4-7 round draft picks. Fact: Veteran players generally cost more than players in their rookie contracts.

bigbrewster2000
03-02-2009, 02:30 PM
You guys are killing me.

In the sense that you dont bring in a highly paid guy to backup I get where you are coming from. But, when the player clearly is being brought in to be the backup for a player still playing on his rookie contract you are just plain wrong.

Green was the starter last year more because Slaton was a rookie and originally signed as a 3rd down back. And Adibi pretty much the same thing. They both ended up plaing very well. Oh by the way how would you explain Kevin Bently and Chaun Thompson backing up Zach Diles and both making at least double what Diles made last season.

So what you should say is you dont pay guys STARTER (not your starter, market value starter) money to sit the bench which I would totally agree. But when you are signing guys for far less than starter money they should expect to be the 2nd string guy.

Big Lou
03-02-2009, 02:41 PM
You guys are killing me.

What about Kurt Warner and Matt Leinart?

LORK 88
03-02-2009, 02:41 PM
I just can't get behind signing Benson, mainly because his YPC scares me like it scared me with Ron Dayne. Both only shined while playing against the worst run defenses around. This article definitely helped me figure out a bit why I don't want to sign him.

The business side here might be better than the business side in Cincinnati,” Benson said about contract negotiations.
Translation: I don't care if I'm the #1 RB or if I'm a 3rd down RB, as long as I get paid like a starter. It scares me when players are more determined by money than anything else because it ties in to motivation.

I think I proved that I’m the player everybody thought I could be
He averaged his second lowest career total, had 73 more yards then his previous career best (which is still mediocre by NFL standards), had his second lowest TD total, and 2 of his 3 100 yard games were against 2 of the 5 worst rushing defenses. If he thinks mediocrity is what the 4th overall pick in the draft was supposed to be, then he needs to re-evaluate his goals and standards.

Chicago fans asked me what was the difference? I told them it was simple: They gave me the football.
18 more carries than his last season in Chicago. He got more carries towards the end for Cincy, but Chicago distributed his carries more evenly. I can't see anything different between Cincy and Chicago other than the expectations for him were severly lowered in Cincy. With raised expectations, I'm scared to if he underperforms again.

ChampionTexan
03-02-2009, 02:53 PM
You guys are killing me.

Selected RB Base Salaries in 2008:

Chicago Bears:
Adrian Peterson - $605,000
Matt Forte (Opening Day Starter) - $295,000

Denver Broncos:
Michael Pittman - $830,000
Selvin Young (Opening Day Starter) - $370,000

Tampa Bay Buccaneers:
Warrick Dunn - $3,000,000
Cadillac Williams - $2,157,250
Earnest Graham (Opening Day Starter) - $1,500,000

Detroit Lions:
Rudi Johnson: - $1,100,000
Kevin Smith (Opening Day Starter) - $295,000

Carolina Panthers:
Jonathan Stewart - $1,395,000
DeAngelo Williams (Opening Day Starter) – $445,000

Tennessee Titans:
LenDale White - $$445,000
Chris Johnson (Opening Day Starter) - $370,000

disaacks3
03-02-2009, 02:54 PM
You guys are killing me.

And Bennett, is not going to begin the year as a starting CB. Diles & Adibi were very rough around the edges until given a chance to start. The coaches were actually "shocked" at Adibi's game performance, as he looked far LESS impressive in practice...evidently, he's a "gamer".

I guess we're all going to have to disagree with you on this, because you're insisting on comparing a ROOKIE contract to a vet. What you see as "not feasible" happens all the time in the NFL.

I'm not high on signing Benson, but the Texans DO need to find a way to punch it in from inside the five. If Benson could do ONLY that, I'd live with the signing, but I'm not real sure about him giving us any upside other than some depth behind Slaton.

bigbrewster2000
03-02-2009, 02:56 PM
I just can't get behind signing Benson, mainly because his YPC scares me like it scared me with Ron Dayne. Both only shined while playing against the worst run defenses around. This article definitely helped me figure out a bit why I don't want to sign him.

Translation: I don't care if I'm the #1 RB or if I'm a 3rd down RB, as long as I get paid like a starter. It scares me when players are more determined by money than anything else because it ties in to motivation.

He averaged his second lowest career total, had 73 more yards then his previous career best (which is still mediocre by NFL standards), had his second lowest TD total, and 2 of his 3 100 yard games were against 2 of the 5 worst rushing defenses. If he thinks mediocrity is what the 4th overall pick in the draft was supposed to be, then he needs to re-evaluate his goals and standards.

18 more carries than his last season in Chicago. He got more carries towards the end for Cincy, but Chicago distributed his carries more evenly. I can't see anything different between Cincy and Chicago other than the expectations for him were severly lowered in Cincy. With raised expectations, I'm scared to if he underperforms again.
Let me say this I am not a big advocate of Benson or anything but he was running behind one of the most banged up lines in the league last year. And I think that if he does sign here it will be for backup money because that is pretty much what he is. Look at it this way too, he will be running in a system that really favors the RB greatly. If it makes him look good then that helps him business wise in the future. Thats kinda what I got from his quote. He knows what our ZBS can do for him and its a heck of alot more than running behind a banged up Cinci line. Besides that we apear to be on ther rise as a team and Cinci appears to be on the decline. He wants to play in a SB again and the Texans have a better chance than Cinci to get there.

dalemurphy
03-02-2009, 03:02 PM
You guys are killing me.

It happens all the time:

Diles started over the better-payed Chaun Thompson and Kevin Bentley last year

Slaton started over A.Green all season

Kevin Walter starts over Andre Davis and Davis is making more money

Zgoniga, Robinson both had starts ahead of Travis Johnson even though Johnson makes a lot more money!

The Pencil Neck
03-02-2009, 03:14 PM
I'm going to back off on my stance a little bit.

I'm not a big fan of Bensons. I don't think he's shown anything yet. I'm not convinced he's going to come here and excel in our system. He might, but he might not.

But I'm going to back off on my stance on Ward being the better option. The more I look into the numbers, the less I'm enamored. I think he needed a big bruiser alongside him to perform his best. In other words, he needed what we need for Slaton... and that means he's not the answer.

I think our answer to the RB slot might actually come in the draft. But I'm interested in seeing what Smithiak puts together. So far, they haven't been so good with FA RBs.

Specnatz
03-02-2009, 03:16 PM
Lets face it, everyone is wrong and TexanRed is right.

TEXANRED
03-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Lets face it, everyone is wrong and TexanRed is right.

Now you got it.

GuerillaBlack
03-02-2009, 03:20 PM

Chicago Bears:
Adrian Peterson - $605,000
Matt Forte (Opening Day Starter) - $295,000

Denver Broncos:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers:
Warrick Dunn - $3,000,000
Cadillac Williams - $2,157,250
Earnest Graham (Opening Day Starter) - $1,500,000

Detroit Lions:
Kevin Smith (Opening Day Starter) - $295,000

Carolina Panthers:
Jonathan Stewart - $1,395,000
DeAngelo Williams (Opening Day Starter) – $445,000

Tennessee Titans:
LenDale White - $$445,000
Chris Johnson (Opening Day Starter) - $370,000

Debate finished.

ubecool454
03-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Just draft a RB. Benson is not tough, not fast and not very elusive and lacks power. This guy was great in Highschool but he was nothing special at UT. I told my friends in Chitown when they drafted this guy that the Bears were reaching. I don't want to reach even though we probably get him cheap. Benson is just not my kind of RB and when Kubiak and Smith call me this week I will tell them that.:brando:

GP
03-02-2009, 03:41 PM
I'm going to back off on my stance a little bit.

I'm not a big fan of Bensons. I don't think he's shown anything yet. I'm not convinced he's going to come here and excel in our system. He might, but he might not.

But I'm going to back off on my stance on Ward being the better option. The more I look into the numbers, the less I'm enamored. I think he needed a big bruiser alongside him to perform his best. In other words, he needed what we need for Slaton... and that means he's not the answer.

I think our answer to the RB slot might actually come in the draft. But I'm interested in seeing what Smithiak puts together. So far, they haven't been so good with FA RBs.

Indian giver.

barrett
03-02-2009, 03:46 PM
from the Chron.com article:

Benson speaking about how he's a "changed man" in reference to his performace in Cincy (not his extracurricular): “I think I proved that I’m the player everybody thought I could be,” Benson said. “I think it showed that I can get the job done, being a full-time back and carry the load.”

“Chicago fans asked me what was the difference? I told them it was simple: They gave me the football.”

it's this kind of whiney baby bullsh!t that I don't want to hear. Confidence, see Demeco, Antonio, Dunta...

Cocky baby bullsh!t: I"m a badass, the coaches are dumb, show me the money.

Nevermind. Cedric. Go Away.

The Pencil Neck
03-02-2009, 03:51 PM
Indian giver.

The only person who can't change their mind is the person who doesn't have one.

At least, that's what my wife keeps telling me.

keyser
03-02-2009, 04:30 PM

Benson speaking about how he's a "changed man" in reference to his performace in Cincy (not his extracurricular): “I think I proved that I’m the player everybody thought I could be,” Benson said. “I think it showed that I can get the job done, being a full-time back and carry the load.”

Wow. I know from personal experience that newspaper articles usually mess things up, and I know quotes often end up sounding different than they were in context. But, if this is an accurate reflection of how he feels, he's about the last person I want here. We need someone who will be more than willing to share the load with Slaton and others, not someone who's going to be demanding demanding the ball to be a "full-time back and carry the load."

TEXANS84
03-02-2009, 04:30 PM
http://media2.myfoxhouston.com//photo/2009/03/02/090302bend1_tmb0005_20090302160427614_320_240.JPG
HOUSTON - Free agent runningback Cedric Benson arrived In Houston Monday to meet with the Houston Texans.

The Texans are looking for a veteran runningback to back up starter Steve Slaton.

"It's good," Benson said after arriving at Hobby Airport. "There are lot of good things about being in Texas and Houston and being close to home and things like that and being close to a lot of home fans and a lot of support here," Benson said.

Benson, who led Midland Lee to three consecutive Class 5-A Texas state football championships, also had great success at the University of Texas.

Benson acknowledged he could sign with the Texans.

"I think the possibilities are good," Benson said. "There is always a business side to everything and you hire people to handle that end of it and you just stay focused on handling your end of the deal and let it work itself out."
LINK (http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/090302_benson_arrives_houston)

barrett
03-02-2009, 04:37 PM

it's this kind of whiney baby bullsh!t that I don't want to hear. Confidence, see Demeco, Antonio, Dunta...

Wow. I know from personal experience that newspaper articles usually mess things up, and I know quotes often end up sounding different than they were in context. But, if this is an accurate reflection of how he feels, he's about the last person I want here. We need someone who will be more than willing to share the load with Slaton and others, not someone who's going to be demanding demanding the ball to be a "full-time back and carry the load."

I agree that it is very easy to miss interpret text, but I mean, come on.... really?

SheTexan
03-02-2009, 04:39 PM
I feel ILL!! I do not want this to happen! If he wants to stay in Texas, let him go North. He would fit right in with the Cowpokes!!

GP
03-02-2009, 05:02 PM
The only person who can't change their mind is the person who doesn't have one.

At least, that's what my wife keeps telling me.

You can never lose what you never had. :joker:

GP
03-02-2009, 05:05 PM
Not exactly a way to make an entry, I agree with you guys.

Maybe in retrospect it would be best if Cedric just kept making those scheduled visits like he's planned.

You'd think he'd be a little gracious and a little understated. Nope. :foottap:

Texecutioner
03-02-2009, 05:23 PM

Yep same ole Cedric Benson of old. This is the exact same type of mentality that has made him a huge under achiever in the NFL. The guy got the ball a ton in Chicago and then they even traded a productive Thomas Jones for his sorry ass when his team mates loved Jones. Benson has never worked hard and has always had a really arrogant attitude. Don't want this guy at all after reading that. He clearly hasn't changed or been humbled by his disappointing career. He had a few nice games at the very end of the season for Cinci and thinks he's a stud again. Sorry, Benson but most teams aren't going to buy it. Stay in Cinci where you belong or run off to sign with the Raiders.

Grams
03-02-2009, 06:03 PM
Yep same ole Cedric Benson of old. This is the exact same type of mentality that has made him a huge under achiever in the NFL. The guy got the ball a ton in Chicago and then they even traded a productive Thomas Jones for his sorry ass when his team mates loved Jones. Benson has never worked hard and has always had a really arrogant attitude. Don't want this guy at all after reading that. He clearly hasn't changed or been humbled by his disappointing career. He had a few nice games at the very end of the season for Cinci and thinks he's a stud again. Sorry, Benson but most teams aren't going to buy it. Stay in Cinci where you belong or run off to sign with the Raiders.

Amen!

texanskan
03-02-2009, 06:14 PM
Y'all are crazy, this guy can play. Is he a top RB in the NFL A-No but would a Slaton/Benson/add a player Brown/Taylor/Rookie RB/Walker or any scrub 3rd guy would be a dam good backfield

Plus it would be a 1-2 year deal in a system he could thrive in where he might be able to get one more good payday in 2010-2011 so lots of incentive for Ced

Texecutioner
03-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Y'all are crazy, this guy can play. Is he a top RB in the NFL A-No but would a Slaton/Benson/add a player Brown/Taylor/Rookie RB/Walker or any scrub 3rd guy would be a dam good backfield

Plus it would be a 1-2 year deal in a system he could thrive in where he might be able to get one more good payday in 2010-2011 so lots of incentive for Ced

I'd like the combo of Slaton and Benson myself, but Benson has to long of a history for not working hard and acting very arrogant towards his team mates. He was that way at Texas and his entire team in Chicago hated him. His career has been a bust in the NFL except for a few of those games at the end of last season where he was playing hard to get the contract that he is currently seeking right now. He is going to want a multi year deal and no way would I want the Texans to invest that on a guy that could start ticking the coaching staff and other team mates off at the drop of a hat.

Specnatz
03-02-2009, 06:22 PM

If the guy who is supposed to be the backup is a malcontent, then it hurts the more than helps the team. So many folks just love this guy because he is from Texas not because of actual production or attitude.

The Pencil Neck
03-02-2009, 06:31 PM
If the guy who is supposed to be the backup is a malcontent, then it hurts the more than helps the team. So many folks just love this guy because he is from Texas not because of actual production or attitude.

My wife would want him on the team simply because he's from Midland and that's close to where she grew up.

Runner
03-02-2009, 06:36 PM
The Texans need a running back to give Slaton a breather and to pound out those third and short yards. If Benson can do this I'd grab him; he's not going to be expensive. Passing up a reasonably priced guy to fill a glaring need because he isn't "likeable" sounds like a good way to keep hanging around at 8-8.

There are enough quality character guys on this team to handle any attitude problem he might have. There should be anyway; that's what we hear about with most signings.

Disclosure: I'm not a Longhorn fan.

Mike Kerns
03-02-2009, 06:44 PM
How surprising, Mr. Longhorn Richard Justice is all for it:

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2009/03/cedric_benson_c.html

For once, I am actually with him though. I say bring him in.

Hervoyel
03-02-2009, 07:41 PM
I think you're all making a lot out of a little where that comment is concerned. He said "they gave me the ball". Big deal. You're all so anxious to point out what a bad idea bringing Benson in is that you'll take just about anything the man says and run with it.

TexansFanatic
03-02-2009, 07:44 PM
I think you're all making a lot out of a little where that comment is concerned. He said "they gave me the ball". Big deal. You're all so anxious to point out what a bad idea bringing Benson in is that you'll take just about anything the man says and run with it.

Exactly. Show me a football player who doesn't talk up his own abilities and I'll show you a crappy football player.

CloakNNNdagger
03-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Exactly. Show me a football player who doesn't talk up his own abilities and I'll show you a crappy football player.

Ala YKW:headhurts:

TexansFanatic
03-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Ala YKW:headhurts:

Don't go there, Cloak!

GuerillaBlack
03-02-2009, 08:08 PM

Agreed.

So many people are dogging on this guy. Sign him. We are too caught up in having guys with having Boy Scouts. That's gotten us two 8-8 record seasons in a row. Let's reach out a bit and get a guy like Benson. He can only help us.

David Carr, help us. In your name we pray. Amen.

The Pencil Neck
03-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Agreed.

So many people are dogging on this guy. Sign him. We are too caught up in having guys with having Boy Scouts. That's gotten us two 8-8 record seasons in a row. Let's reach out a bit and get a guy like Benson. He can only help us.

David Carr, help us. In your name we pray. Amen.

I don't give a rat's ass if this guy is a boy scout. I don't care about what he said about getting the ball.

I'm just not convinced he's any good or that he's going to help us.

GuerillaBlack
03-02-2009, 08:24 PM
I don't give a rat's ass if this guy is a boy scout. I don't care about what he said about getting the ball.

I'm just really convinced that he's good and that he's going to help us.

Nicely said.

http://frtim.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/thumbs-up.jpg

On the serious side, I think he'll do fine against us. He did fine in Cinci, and our OLine is better than their own, plus we have a the pass for defenses to worry about AND Slaton tearing it up.

The1ApplePie
03-02-2009, 08:37 PM
Benson may be a douche but would you bust your ass for a team that tried to litterally cripple you in practice?

The Pencil Neck
03-02-2009, 08:40 PM
On the serious side, I think he'll do fine against us. He did fine in Cinci, and our OLine is better than their own, plus we have a the pass for defenses to worry about AND Slaton tearing it up.

I'll grant you that the Cincy line isn't any good but if you take out the last two games of the season (against the Browns and Chiefs), he averaged a smidge over 3 yards per carry last year.

How can you say he did fine in Cincy? He really didn't.

TEXANRED
03-02-2009, 08:44 PM

Chicago Bears:

Adrian Peterson - $605,000:

three-year, $3.6 million contract extension through 2009. Details

Matt Forte (Opening Day Starter) - $295,000:

7/2/2008: Signed a four-year, $3.781 million contract. Details

Comparable contracts. Peterson was probably extended thinking he was going into the season as the featured back.

Denver Broncos:

Pittman signed a one year deal. Young is finishing up and will make 460k this year.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers:

Warrick Dunn - $3,000,000:

Cadillac Williams - $2,157,250:

7/30/2005: Signed a five-year, $30 million contract. Details

Earnest Graham (Opening Day Starter) - $1,500,000:

6/29/2008: Signed a four-year, $11.05 million contract. Details

I think Cadillac was still hurting at the beginning of the Sean. I never understood the Dunn signing.

Neither he or the coach is still with the team.

Detroit Lions:

Kevin Smith (Opening Day Starter) - $295,000:

7/22/2008: Signed a three-year, $1.799 million contract. Details

So now Matt Milan is a genius?

Carolina Panthers:

Jonathan Stewart - $1,395,000:

7/26/2008: Signed a five-year, $14 million contract. Details

DeAngelo Williams (Opening Day Starter) – $445,000:

7/27/2006: Signed a five-year, $14.5 million contract. Details

Tennessee Titans:

LenDale White - $$445,000:

7/27/2006: Signed a four-year, $2.91 million contract. Details

Chris Johnson (Opening Day Starter) - $370,000:

7/26/2008: Signed a five-year, $12 million contract. Details
So as I said your starters are the guys with the bigger contracts. Remember that contracts are not split up equally and very from year to year.

Just repeat after me class, TEXANRED is always right.

Unless he is not, then he is just misunderstood.

TexanFan881
03-02-2009, 08:49 PM
Well I really wanted Derrick Ward, but he just signed with the Bucs so we better get Cedric Benson now. We can still draft a RB if we feel like we have to but if we get Ced I think we're lookin pretty good. Plus, I might be one of the only ones who think Ryan Moats looked really good and we'll be fine with Slaton, Moats, and Benson. That's three solid backs right there. I don't see the need to spend a pick on one though.

Texecutioner
03-02-2009, 08:50 PM
I'll grant you that the Cincy line isn't any good but if you take out the last two games of the season (against the Browns and Chiefs), he averaged a smidge over 3 yards per carry last year.

People in here seem to forget that Benson finally started playing like that because it was his last chance in the NFL and no one wanted the guy really. When he had a nice contract he was smoking weed all the time and not working hard. He was like that his entire time at Texas. I know several people that used to smoke with Benson all the time back then and tell me stories about the guy. Cool guy and all from how people describe him, but he was spoiled for so long in Austin and that is why he didn't have a good work ethic at Texas. He never wanted to work hard in Chicago, because he already had all of that guaranteed money as well. It wasn't until the last few games of the season with Cinci where he KNEW HE HAD to show something to get another big pay day or decent one at least.

If we signed him for a year where he had to prove himself again like he did on the Bengals I think he might do just fine, but if it is for multiple years which I'm sure he wants, then you just never know what you're going to get from the guy, and he is always having problems with the law.

texanfan2002114
03-02-2009, 08:58 PM
"Free agent running back Cedric Benson spent Monday visiting with the Texans at Reliant Stadium and having lunch and dinner with coaches, but no deal was reached that would return him to his home state"

"The Bengals, who have offered Benson a contract, are trying to re-sign him as their starter. The Texans, who are continuing negotiations, want him to complement Steve Slaton"

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6289379.html

Brando
03-02-2009, 09:00 PM
Ward has signed with the Bucs. I'm in favor of bringing Benson in to give him a chance as long as the money is okay.

TexansFanatic
03-02-2009, 09:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZNBwSZpa0c

Nice Cedric Benson highlight video from his Longhorn days.

Mike Kerns
03-02-2009, 09:43 PM
Well, T.J. Houshmenzadeh just signed with the The Seahawks, so it looks like Cincy will have plenty of cash to throw Benson's way if they really want him back.

GuerillaBlack
03-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Houston > Cinci. We have a much better shot at the playoffs than they do. Even when they get Palmer back.

Bulluck53
03-02-2009, 09:57 PM
So one of the reasons I read on here regarding why the Texans shouldn't sign Haynesworth was the fact that he had a spotty past and that McNair wouldn't condone those actions on his team. I sense some hypocrisy here...

GuerillaBlack
03-02-2009, 09:58 PM
So one of the reasons I read on here regarding why the Texans shouldn't sign Haynesworth was the fact that he had a spotty past and that McNair wouldn't condone those actions on his team. I sense some hypocrisy here...

Get that weak **** outta here.

Bulluck53
03-02-2009, 09:58 PM
I fail to see how that is "weak ****".... merely stating a fact

GuerillaBlack
03-02-2009, 10:02 PM
I fail to see how that is "weak ****".... merely stating a fact

A lot of the people who want Benson may have also wanted Haynesworth. Like myself. You're over-generalizing.

Runner
03-02-2009, 10:02 PM

Maybe you just sense opposing opinions because there are multiple posters. The "board" doesn't have a collective mind to be hypocritical.

Bulluck53
03-02-2009, 10:14 PM
A lot of the people who want Benson may have also wanted Haynesworth. Like myself. You're over-generalizing.

Relax, you know its in jest. He would be a good signing for the right price.

The only reason I made the post was to help some people here realize it usually doesn't matter what a guy did in the past, as long as he can play he will get a contract somewhere, and thats no knock on the Texans.

GuerillaBlack
03-02-2009, 10:17 PM
To help some people here realize it usually doesn't matter what a guy did in the past, as long as he can play he will get a contract somewhere, and thats no knock on the Texans.

Agreed.

Your signature makes me laugh by the way.

TEXANRED
03-02-2009, 10:26 PM
Relax, you know its in jest. He would be a good signing for the right price.

The only reason I made the post was to help some people here realize it usually doesn't matter what a guy did in the past, as long as he can play he will get a contract somewhere, and thats no knock on the Texans.

Who let you out of the rivalry section?

Go on now, GIT!

hot pickle
03-02-2009, 10:35 PM
i want ced benson but i have a feeling rick smith wont offer him what hes looking for

texanfan2002114
03-02-2009, 10:40 PM
I just got done watching the interview with Benson on Fox 26. Some of you on here wanted to throw Benson out of town just because he made one simple comment.

Now some of you did say that the comment probably sounded worse because the written word reads differently than it sounds.

Someone said it was "whiney baby bullsh!t", somebody else said "Yep same ole Cedric Benson of old."

Like I said, I just watched the interview where he made that comment and it was taken out of context. He was talking about what kind of dream it would be playing so close to home. Something he has dreamed about for years and something he would love to do.

He was also asked why would he want to be a back up to Slaton instead of wanting to be a starter in Cinny, and Benson said that not only the business end might be better here in Houston but he wanted to get back to the Super Bowl and he likes this Houston team.

Finally he was asked about his situation Cinny and why he was sucessful there. He said that it was a maturity thing for him and he has grown up and then made this comment “Chicago fans asked me what was the difference? I told them it was simple: They gave me the football.”

The whole time during the interview he was very respectful and low speaking as he was while becoming a star RB at the University Of Texas. If the Texans can sign him and I hope they do, it will be a HELL of a one two punch!!

GuerillaBlack
03-02-2009, 10:46 PM
I just got done watching the interview with Benson on Fox 26. Some of you on here wanted to throw Benson out of town just because he made one simple comment.

Now some of you did say that the comment probably sounded worse because the written word reads differently than it sounds.

Someone said it was "whiney baby bullsh!t", somebody else said "Yep same ole Cedric Benson of old."

Like I said, I just watched the interview where he made that comment and it was taken out of context. He was talking about what kind of dream it would be playing so close to home. Something he has dreamed about for years and something he would love to do.

He was also asked why would he want to be a back up to Slaton instead of wanting to be a starter in Cinny, and Benson said that not only the business end might be better here in Houston but he wanted to get back to the Super Bowl and he likes this Houston team.

Finally he was asked about his situation Cinny and why he was sucessful there. He said that it was a maturity thing for him and he has grown up and then made this comment “Chicago fans asked me what was the difference? I told them it was simple: They gave me the football.”

The whole time during the interview he was very respectful and low speaking as he was while becoming a star RB at the University Of Texas. If the Texans can sign him and I hope they do, it will be a HELL of a one two punch!!

You win the gold star!! Or at least some rep.

imatexan
03-02-2009, 10:47 PM
I think we should get the deal done at a cheap price, I doubt he will have any attitude problems on our team.
Our coaches and team will not stand for that.

Bulluck53
03-02-2009, 10:59 PM
Agreed.

Your signature makes me laugh by the way.

Why is that?

Hervoyel
03-02-2009, 11:01 PM

If you take out all the successfull outings of every running back in the league you'll have damn few left who did anything to brag about. I always consider "Yeah but if you don't count ___________ then he sucks" arguments to be worth a second glance because even the good players start looking ordinary once you start laying down conditions like that.

Benson is a back who isn't exceptional and we all know that. If he was we wouldn't be talking about him because he'd be in Chicago running over people regardless of the situation or scenario. I've seen maybe 5-10 backs who could do that consistently in my entire life so I'm not going to crucify Cedric Benson because he's not one of them. We're talking about bringing a previously "highly regarded" back here to play with (and slightly behind) Steve Slaton.

This isn't a big mystery or complicated thing. He either can play in this offense (make your cut and go) or he can't. If he can then he doesn't have to be Earl Campbell or Barry Sanders to start looking like a good back. If he does it for a year or two then we get value. You know what value is for Cedric Benson if he can bust 4 yards a carry over the next two years? It's a first day draft choice or a player we can use.

I say he did fine in Cincy because Cincy is a hole with a crap line and he wasn't even in camp with them. He joined the team four weeks into the season, got more carries than he'd ever had in the NFL and stayed healthy. He posted 3 100 yard-plus games and in his final three games there he averaged 118 yards and 4.1 yards per carry. In my eyes he did fine there in the situation he was in. The only other back to get significant carries behind this line in this year racked up an impressive 2.6 yards per carry. I suppose Benson should have been hanging up 5-6 yards per attempt to make some of you happy. I'm sorry but that's just not realistic.

And we're talking about a backup or "role" player. We're talking about the guy who will push Ryan Moats one step down the depth chart at worst and at best will compete with whoever they draft or sign between now and first game of the 2009 season.

If they sign him I'm good. If they don't well then at least it will finally bring this debate to a close.

Shaft75
03-02-2009, 11:02 PM
I think we should get the deal done at a cheap price, I doubt he will have any attitude problems on our team.
Our coaches and team will not stand for that.

I'm okay with signing Ced. The main reasons being his new found maturity, along with his low mileage. He's a good, young back. We should give him a try.

TexansFanatic
03-02-2009, 11:09 PM
Excellent post, Herv.

El Tejano
03-02-2009, 11:14 PM
Ward just signed with someone so we better get on the ball with signing some RB because the crop gets thinner.

Big Poundcake
03-02-2009, 11:18 PM
Sign Benson up. He runs hard and would be a good fit for the Texans offense.

DiehardChris
03-02-2009, 11:21 PM
Actually I don't think he's a good fit for the ZBS at all, but obviously if the coaches met with him and decided they could coach him to fit - I'm fine with it if they are.

That said - I don't think the guy has matured all that much. I won't be surprised at all if something bad goes down before the season.

TexansSeminole
03-02-2009, 11:23 PM
As Herv said, he is a role player and I think it fits well here in Houston. Benson could potentially help us out on goal line, and help wear down the defense when Slaton is out of the game.

Sal Rosenberg
03-02-2009, 11:33 PM
He was a stud for Midland Lee and I know most of yall love Friday Night Lights!His career is looking a lot like Ricky Williams(his idol) and I'm pretty sure that you guys would love to have #34 on our team! Ced has all the tools too be a great running back and should be better than Chong(his idol).Although,he has toe turf..foot problems.....glazed eyes....i say give him a try(pending a drug test of course).

Big Poundcake
03-02-2009, 11:35 PM
Actually I don't think he's a good fit for the ZBS at all
Just curious, but why?

Benson is a one cut and go guy anyway. He runs hard. He would be in a good Running/Blocking scheme in Houston.

Sal Rosenberg
03-02-2009, 11:37 PM
Just curious, but why?

Benson is a one cut and go guy anyway. He runs hard. He would be in a good Running/Blocking scheme in Houston.

If Ron Dayne can excel in the ZBS then anybody can.

DiehardChris
03-02-2009, 11:42 PM
Just curious, but why?

Everyone talks like all he needs is the right situation to excel - the truth is, in Chicago - he was terrible. His vision was terrible, his decision-making was terrible, and from many accounts, a lot of that had to do with his questionable work ethic.

How people think all those things are going to magically change in Houston, I have no idea. If anything, I would think that as soon as he got a new contract and a few million in the bank, he would revert back.

That said - again, if the Texans met with him and they were impressed and convinced he's really turned a corner - I'm good with it. They are way more plugged in to all that stuff than any of us are.

Jackie Chiles
03-02-2009, 11:43 PM

We were not running a true ZBS when Dayne was here and saying he excelled is stretching it. He was serviceable and we probably didn't have anything better at the time.

DiehardChris
03-02-2009, 11:44 PM

When did Ron Dayne excel in the ZBS?

Sal Rosenberg
03-02-2009, 11:56 PM

Isn't Kubiak's system the ZBS?

Big Poundcake
03-02-2009, 11:59 PM
Everyone talks like all he needs is the right situation to excel - the truth is, in Chicago - he was terrible. His vision was terrible, his decision-making was terrible, and from many accounts, a lot of that had to do with his questionable work ethic.

How people think all those things are going to magically change in Houston, I have no idea. If anything, I would think that as soon as he got a new contract and a few million in the bank, he would revert back.

That said - again, if the Texans met with him and they were impressed and convinced he's really turned a corner - I'm good with it. They are way more plugged in to all that stuff than any of us are.

Thanks for the response.

I can see where you are coming from, but I respectfully disagree.

He already had 1 stop after his Chicago days and did fine. He stayed out of trouble in Cinci and ran well.

I think/hope Benson knows that if he messes up, then he is likely done.

Vinny
03-03-2009, 12:14 AM

That said - again, if the Texans met with him and they were impressed and convinced he's really turned a corner - I'm good with it. They are way more plugged in to all that stuff than any of us are.There is no need for magic. Ced admitted he was too immature when he came to the league and immature folks tend to underachieve. He still has a NFL body and if he has in fact, 'grown up' then the team may have a player along the lines of Stephen Davis as an upside. Davis didn't produce for 4 seasons then we went on to lead the league in rushing for the next 3 combined years. These are both sizable guys without long speed that are good in short space. I hope we take a chance myself.

The Pencil Neck
03-03-2009, 12:18 AM
If you take out all the successfull outings of every running back in the league you'll have damn few left who did anything to brag about. I always consider "Yeah but if you don't count ___________ then he sucks" arguments to be worth a second glance because even the good players start looking ordinary once you start laying down conditions like that.

Even if you DON'T take out his two best games in Cincy, he ran for 3.5 yards per carry. The last two weeks, he was playing against teams that had given up; KC and Cleveland. He got 38 carries in one of those games. If Benson had been more consistent, then I'd be happier with him. But for most of the season, he wasn't averaging that much more than the other backs.

I don't think he has any power and I don't think he's a good fit. But if they sign him, I'll root for him. Just like I rooted for Ahman and Chris Taylor and would have rooted for Chris Brown.

DiehardChris
03-03-2009, 12:26 AM
There is no need for magic. Ced admitted he was too immature when he came to the league and immature folks tend to underachieve. He still has a NFL body and if he has in fact, 'grown up' then the team may have a player along the lines of Stephen Davis as an upside. Davis didn't produce for 4 seasons then we went on to lead the league in rushing for the next 3 combined years. These are both sizable guys without long speed that are good in short space. I hope we take a chance myself.

I'm actually fine with them signing him - I just don't want them to overpay. In free agency, you almost always HAVE to overpay, and I accept that most of the time. For Benson, I wouldn't want us to overpay unless there are clauses in the contract that protect us.

It's definitely a good sign that he kept his nose clean in Cincy, but I'm just really afraid of him doing it again. Immaturity is one thing, but to get popped TWICE in a MONTH for alcohol-related offenses isn't immaturity, it's stupidity.

DiehardChris
03-03-2009, 12:28 AM

Yes. I think our difference of opinion lies in our definitions of "excel." Ron Dayne was mediocre at best, and that was rare.

michaelm
03-03-2009, 12:54 AM
Ron Dayne was mediocre at best, and that was rare.

True, but Dayne had exceptional power... enough power to shatter a large man's leg... lol

GuerillaBlack
03-03-2009, 12:57 AM
oh snap!

Norg
03-03-2009, 02:55 AM
Pff he had no like barber power or some of the Power of the NY giants RB

anyways what type of running game system did cinccy use ???

Mari-OWNED!
03-03-2009, 07:25 AM

No, Alex Gibbs' system is the ZBS, and he didn't come to the Texans until last season.

El Tejano
03-03-2009, 07:59 AM
The question we have to ask is, is Benson better than the current back up RBs on our roster - Ryan Moats and Chris Brown? I think so. That alone is why you try to sign Cedric Benson. Is he a gamble because of his past? Yes. You offer a contract that has behavioral stipulations.

I think Benson will be good here. There are young players that are going to welcome him and make him feel like part of the team.

D_Money85
03-03-2009, 08:26 AM
With ward to the bucs now we need to go head and sign Benson, make it happen captin. I feel if Benson can carry ova what he start in cincy he'll be just fine, plus be close to home will do him good for his off the field problems.

Hervoyel
03-03-2009, 08:32 AM

The only three years in his entire NFL career that Ron Dayne averaged over 4 yards a carry (including the one year he averaged over 5 in limited action) were in the zone blocking scheme in Denver and then 2 years here in that hybrid mess we were running.

Keeping things in perspective relative to what Dayne did in New York that's as close as he came to excelling in the NFL.

TEXANS84
03-03-2009, 08:56 AM
I honestly believe if you insert runningback (A) behind and Alex Gibbs system, then runningback (B) and (C) should excel no matter who it is. We saw this briefly when Slaton (A) was benched for fumbling and Moats (B) was inserted.

Now having a runningback whom is a little bit bigger will help out tremendously in our goal line packages. Something we saw Slaton fail at a few times during the 2008 season.

awtysst
03-03-2009, 09:05 AM
I am all for signing Benson to a REASONABLE contract if we still grab a RB in the mid rounds of the draft. Having a stable of 3 backs means less wear and tear on slaton. As the New York Giants showed us last year, its good to have 3 solid backs that can carry the rock.

SheTexan
03-03-2009, 09:10 AM
There are young players that are going to welcome him and make him feel like part of the team.

Yep, and he can take um all out clubbin every night. Youth+big money+immaturity=TROUBLE for any team, esp if they have mentors such as Cedric Benson!! You guys have mentioned more than once that this years draft is packed with good RBs. DRAFT ONE!! We have an extra 4th now, use it!! We've been pretty lucky with 4th round draft picks in the past. CB sets a poor example off the field. Let someone else worry about him.

HOU-TEX
03-03-2009, 09:13 AM
I honestly believe if you insert runningback (A) behind and Alex Gibbs system, then runningback (B) and (C) should excel no matter who it is. We saw this briefly when Slaton (A) was benched for fumbling and Moats (B) was inserted.

Now having a runningback whom is a little bit bigger will help out tremendously in our goal line packages. Something we saw Slaton fail at a few times during the 2008 season.

I can agree with this as long as the RB has a little speed and burst after the cutback as well as getting to the outside. We all witnessed the Dayne experience and IMO, it was horrible watching him in this system.

The thing that bothers me about Ced-Head is whether or not he's even motivated to play football. After reading several quotes in this thread it leads me to believe he's in it for the money only. Like when he was asked why he'd back up Slaton in Houston rather than being a starter in Cincy, "the business in Houston might be better". WTF?

In the end, I wouldn't be happy about signing him nor would I be upset. As long as the money's legit.

texanfan2002114
03-03-2009, 09:41 AM
Yep, and he can take um all out clubbin every night. Youth+big money+immaturity=TROUBLE for any team, esp if they have mentors such as Cedric Benson!! You guys have mentioned more than once that this years draft is packed with good RBs. DRAFT ONE!! We have an extra 4th now, use it!! We've been pretty lucky with 4th round draft picks in the past. CB sets a poor example off the field. Let someone else worry about him.

Its time to stop this crap. He got into trouble on the lake as was cleared of both charges. He cost himself a load of money and he has grown up from it.

From todays chronicle

Benson, 26, has no legal issues. He says his off-the-field problems are behind him. He’s started a foundation — Nuf Ced Foundation — to help children in Austin and Midland.

“I think the only thing that’s changed is maybe I’ve matured a little more,” he said. “A young man between the ages of 21 and 28 is going to change a lot during that time and learn a lot that’s going to propel you into the rest of your life. All the experiences and the people I’ve come across have matured me.”

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6290518.html

HOU-TEX
03-03-2009, 09:52 AM
Its time to stop this crap. He got into trouble on the lake as was cleared of both charges. He cost himself a load of money and he has grown up from it.

From todays chronicle

Benson, 26, has no legal issues. He says his off-the-field problems are behind him. He’s started a foundation — Nuf Ced Foundation — to help children in Austin and Midland.

“I think the only thing that’s changed is maybe I’ve matured a little more,” he said. “A young man between the ages of 21 and 28 is going to change a lot during that time and learn a lot that’s going to propel you into the rest of your life. All the experiences and the people I’ve come across have matured me.”

We said the same thing at one time or another.

Signed,

Pac-Man Jones and Brandon Marshall

SheTexan
03-03-2009, 09:54 AM

From todays chronicle

Talk is cheap! BUT, if we pick him up I'll have to believe that our FO believes he is worth the risk. They certainly know more about his attitude than I do. I support all our players, and I will support CB if he decides to wear the Texan logo. I would LOVE for him to go out there and prove he's worth the risk, both on and off the field. I guess I'm still a little pi*sed he helped cost me my FF championship a few years back!:aggressive:J/K

Errant Hothy
03-03-2009, 09:59 AM
We said the same thing at one time or another.

Signed,

Pac-Man Jones and Brandon Marshall

So did Tank Johnson and Ricky Williams

Point is some guys learn from their mistakes and grow up, and some don't. It appears that Ced has (if Ced in fact ever made that many mistakes, there are wildly different stories about what happened on Lake Travis that day. The fact all charges were dropped might be an indicator that maybe the case wasn't the slam dunk is was reported to be, or that the eyewitness accounts that he was being harassed by the cops were true).

GP
03-03-2009, 10:10 AM
We always say we want fewer Boy Scouts on this team (MORE ATTITUDE!) and here's a guy who's a little rough around the edges...and there's apprehension? LOL.

He came here for a visit, and Ward didn't, because Ward was out of our price range IN MY OPINION (By the way, I called it when I said Ward would sign with the Bucs). I expect Benson is less expensive and perhaps less demanding of the lion's share of the carries as Ward probably was.

I'm not saying Benson is cheap, but I bet he was cheapER than Ward.

At this stage, it'd be nice to know we don't have to gamble on a RB in the draft AND have to hit on that choice in order to have a good backup to Slaton. But I also don't want Benson if the coaches gloss over some potential pitfalls that might still be attached to Benson's character.

A lot of people are fearful he might fall off the wagon, and that's a possibility with how he thinks he's sort of "above" that stage right now.

The money has to be right, length of contract has to be right, and how he handles himself in his contract negotiation interviews has to be right.

I think there's a pretty good chance we will sign him.

Texecutioner
03-03-2009, 10:15 AM
We always say we want fewer Boy Scouts on this team (MORE ATTITUDE!) and here's a guy who's a little rough around the edges...and there's apprehension? LOL.

He came here for a visit, and Ward didn't, because Ward was out of our price range IN MY OPINION (By the way, I called it when I said Ward would sign with the Bucs). I expect Benson is less expensive and perhaps less demanding of the lion's share of the carries as Ward probably was.

I'm not saying Benson is cheap, but I bet he was cheapER than Ward.

At this stage, it'd be nice to know we don't have to gamble on a RB in the draft AND have to hit on that choice in order to have a good backup to Slaton. But I also don't want Benson if the coaches gloss over some attitude that might still be attached to Benson's character.

A lot of people are fearful he might fall off the wagon, and that's a possibility with how he thinks he's sort of "above" that stage right now.

The money has to be right, length of contract has to be right, and how he handles himself in his contract negotiation interviews has to be right.

I think there's a pretty good chance we will sign him.

I think there is a good chance that we sign him as well, but I just hope he doesn't revert back to acting like a pie hole. I wouldn't want to sign him for more than 2 years. His history of being a lazy player is to long for me to feel comfort in his work ethic in the long term. I love the idea of his banging style to combine with Slaton's speed and quickness, but I just hope we're getting the Benson from the last few games of the Bengals and not the Benson from the Bears.

rockabilly
03-03-2009, 10:19 AM
I think there may be a stall on the money issue for this signing. Typically, when we bring people in we get them signed right away. If one more day goes by, I say that we will not sign Benson.

TimeKiller
03-03-2009, 10:26 AM
good point Rockabilly.

I'd just as soon take 2 backs in the draft over Benson. I mean, the best, the very, very best Benson has ever been (NFL wise) is flamingly average. With off-field issues, guilty or not that was a ton of bad press. Nah thanks.

Mari-OWNED!
03-03-2009, 10:35 AM
http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/a/a3/PeeWeeDONOTWANT.jpg

Give me Rashad Jennings, Shonn Greene, Andre Brown, or Gartrell Johnson.

Texans Pride
03-03-2009, 10:42 AM
I guess many of you are happy with our little 8 and 8 team. Perhaps many of you would be more interested in the game of cricket or maybe even chess.

Come on! Can we give it a rest with all this boyscout mentality. The guy rushed for over 700 yards in 10 games and he's coming in to be a backup. He's not coming to teach your sons football team. He's not here to take your daughter to prom, and he a isn't coming to teach vacation bible school. He's coming to play football and he's been cleared of ALL legal issues.

Surely we have enough high character people on this team to help control, mentor, and isolate one ego from effecting the rest of the team.

GP
03-03-2009, 10:47 AM
I guess many of you are happy with our little 8 and 8 team. Perhaps many of you would be more interested in the game of cricket or maybe even chess.

Come on! Can we give it a rest with all this boyscout mentality. The guy rushed for over 700 yards in 10 games and he's coming in to be a backup. He's not coming to teach your sons football team. He's not here to take your daughter to prom, and he a isn't coming to teach vacation bible school. He's coming to play football and he's been cleared of ALL legal issues.

Surely we have enough high character people on this team to help control, mentor, and isolate one ego from effecting the rest of the team.

Exactly.

OH NO! Cedric Benson will destroy our team! LOL.

Gaining 700 yards in 10 games, on the BENGALS, is not too shabby.

Rockabilly has a point: If this doesn't get done in the next 24-48 hours...Smithiak will probably say "No deal," and we'll go RB in the draft. Which, crap, that's what we're going to do anyway regardless. No big surprise.

It just might afford us to draft a RB later and not in rounds 1-3.

Texecutioner
03-03-2009, 10:55 AM

It's not about really the high profile stuff, but when it comes to a guy that is lazy and doesn't work hard at all and proves it time and time again that is a HUGE PROBLEM when you invest a lot of money in them. The arrest stuff is the minor issue. When Benson was being paid a lot of money he wouldn't work hard or show up on Sunday. Last year though when his back was against the wall and barely even in the league and playing for a contract he was running harder than I've ever seen him run. You pay him a good chunk of cash, you face the risk of him dogging it again.

I find it funny though how some posters in here are afraid of top players when it comes to certain free agents or guys that could be acquired in a trade and where they are one of the best at their position where we have huge needs, but yet are dying for Benson to come here who isn't even close to being a top RB in the league and has always had a reputation for being lazy.