PDA

View Full Version : I want Running Backs

gafftop
03-01-2009, 08:56 AM
Do you remember the Texans running game pre Slaton. Do we want to see this again? All I hear from Kubiak is we need the running game. One play and we are there or worse. I would have loved to had Fred Taylor as a veteran . The Pats signed him for 2 years 5 million. What the hell did we sign Green for again, I think I am going to be sick.

I think the Texans are not prioritizing enough on running back. One play and we are history. Slaton I think will not last long taking prolonged pounding. I know he was spectacular last year, but I think we were lucky.
We need another quality prospect and a proven veteran on the cheap. I am not saying break the bank on the veteran one by any means.

C'mon and make me feel good about what the Texans are going to do in reference to running back situation. Why weren't we trying to get Taylor.

Watch the Pats. They make good personel decisions. They don't overpay for current players due up for new contracts. (Dunta in our case) I for one do not want to sign DRob long term until he proves himself this season. If he gets great offer, take draft choices and run. They don't mind trading fan favorites (Vrabel) and they know how trade players while their stock is high (Cassels).

Just my opinion. Thanks

MojoMan
03-01-2009, 09:03 AM
Here is a link to the NFL.com free agency web page sorted for RB's.

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency#players-tab-set-1:players-grid-container-position/players-list-links-position:pos-rb

I counted 33 free agent running backs. Obviously some will re-sign with their original teams, some will re-sign with other teams, and some will not re-sign at all. But hopefully the Texans can get a good quality, probably aging, veteran backup running back from this list.

03-01-2009, 09:11 AM
gafftop, im not too sure what you're stressing over. i'm 100% sure this is going to be addressed in the draft... and about 95% sure we'll get another vet RB in free agency.

rarazz00
03-01-2009, 09:14 AM
I'm gonna stick w/ my belief and say the Texans may draft Two RBs in this draft...they know what they are looking for...I could see a late rounder and an UFA coming out of this years draft for us..They still might bring in a veteran...:texflag:

Htownsportsfan
03-01-2009, 09:17 AM
Unless you the Texans had a FA running back they just had to have its better to wait a few days into free agency. Its like A. Shefter and M. Lombardi said on NFLN All Access, by Sunday prices of the FA come down some and by Monday and thereafter teams can actually find value in the free agency market. Free Agency has become a franchise killer in the NFL if bad decisions are made in a rush to pick up bicg names to appease the fan base.

dalemurphy
03-01-2009, 09:22 AM
Do you remember the Texans running game pre Slaton. Do we want to see this again? All I hear from Kubiak is we need the running game. One play and we are there or worse. I would have loved to had Fred Taylor as a veteran . The Pats signed him for 2 years 5 million. What the hell did we sign Green for again, I think I am going to be sick.

I think the Texans are not prioritizing enough on running back. One play and we are history. Slaton I think will not last long taking prolonged pounding. I know he was spectacular last year, but I think we were lucky.
We need another quality prospect and a proven veteran on the cheap. I am not saying break the bank on the veteran one by any means.

C'mon and make me feel good about what the Texans are going to do in reference to running back situation. Why weren't we trying to get Taylor.

Watch the Pats. They make good personel decisions. They don't overpay for current players due up for new contracts. (Dunta in our case) I for one do not want to sign DRob long term until he proves himself this season. If he gets great offer, take draft choices and run. They don't mind trading fan favorites (Vrabel) and they know how trade players while their stock is high (Cassels).

Just my opinion. Thanks

We signed Chris Brown for about 1/2 that. So far, Fred Taylor has done as much for the Pats as CBrown has done for us. Yes, the AGreen signing didn't work out. That RB market was different in '07 than this season... not to mention the fact that Green was 29 and FTaylor is 33.

rarazz00
03-01-2009, 09:31 AM
Instead of starting a new thread on this ..What are we to do about Chris Taylor?

OOPs he's already gone...disreguard:gun:

MojoMan
03-01-2009, 09:37 AM
Instead of starting a new thread on this ..What are we to do about Chris Taylor?

According to the Houston Texans official online roster:

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/roster.html

Chris Taylor is not on the team.

He is not on the free agent list at NFL.com either.

rarazz00
03-01-2009, 09:42 AM
yea thanks..I started a little early on the sauce(insert Pee Wee Herman Song Here):hobie:

MojoMan
03-01-2009, 09:42 AM
In fact, based on the Texan's official online roster, the Texans currently have only two running backs on the team:

21___Moats, Ryan____RB___5-8___210___Louisiana Tech
20___Slaton, Steve___RB___5-9___201___West Virginia

I think the Texans will have at least six running backs going into camp.

steelbtexan
03-01-2009, 10:09 AM
I would like to see the Texans

Sign Micheal Pittman
Draft A.Brown or G. Johnson
Sign as UDFA Kevin Grady & Bernard Scott

CloakNNNdagger
03-01-2009, 10:13 AM
The Raiders are looking to trade Michael Bush. He's a huge bruiser that would compliment Slaton perfectly. His broken leg is his only injury history and has no significant future implications. The Raiders have never been known for smart trades. This could be one that the Texans could turn for a player or a pick, and never look back.........making out like a bandit.

edo783
03-01-2009, 10:17 AM
The Raiders are looking to trade Michael Bush. He's a huge bruiser that would compliment Slaton perfectly. His broken leg is his only injury history and has no significant future implications. The Raiders have never been known for smart trades. This could be one that the Texans could turn for a player or a pick, and never look back.

This is a deal I could see us being interested in. I wonder what sort of price tag it would carry for salary and what.......a pick? I suppose we could trade them JJ and like a 5th or 6th. They need a WR and a pick that low wouldn't be to much of a ding with the extra 4 th we have.

rarazz00
03-01-2009, 10:17 AM
We have to keep in mind that any FA RB we sign will be taking a back seat to Slaton..The $jack$ plus carries ratio has to match:texflag:

PHAROAH
03-01-2009, 10:21 AM
We need to see what other positions the Texans fill in free agency before we panic guys. Look Edgerrin James is 30 years old and hasn't been released yet he could possibly hit the open market and would be a great fit with Steve Slaton for 2 years. The draft has a lot of value in the 3rd round range and with two 4th round picks i'm sure that we can find a good back to pair with slaton either way.

ChampionTexan
03-01-2009, 10:22 AM
This is a deal I could see us being interested in. I wonder what sort of price tag it would carry for salary and what.......a pick? I suppose we could trade them JJ and like a 5th or 6th. They need a WR and a pick that low wouldn't be to much of a ding with the extra 4 th we have.

Bush is under contract through the next two seasons for $460,000 and $550,000 respectively. In otherwords, dirt cheap!

steelbtexan
03-01-2009, 10:24 AM
M. Bush is rumored to be traded to Tampa Bay.

mattieuk
03-01-2009, 10:30 AM
We will get half back help by the end of the draft, don't worry about that. We'll probably sign up someone cheap, 2/3 year vet who hasn't done much, then spend a 2-4th round pick on on RB in the draft (with Antonio being signed up, we may go as high as a 2nd rounder now, although unlikely, as we've got a need taken care of).

Then the other one or two spots will be taken up by undrafted free agents, and possibly see someone like Chris Brown for the training camp battle for depth positioning.

Overall, don't worry, we'll sort out the RB situation, without breaking the bank, and without going to the the big money guys like Ward. We'll go down the normal Texans/Smithiak route (excluding Ahman of course) of getting young and generally unproven RB's with a lot of upside, for cheap, and see how they work out.

CloakNNNdagger
03-01-2009, 10:48 AM
M. Bush is rumored to be traded to Tampa Bay.

This is simply a rumor without sources that were thrown out by a TB internet rag. There is no support to even early stage inquiry.

CloakNNNdagger
03-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Bush is said to be somewhat less than happy with his treatment by the Raiders. The Raiders have wanted him to split his time with the FB position. He's made it known that this is not acceptable. He has taken
2nd fiddle to McFadden......a role he has not taken to very well. There has been significant riff between him and new coaching staff. He may just "force" a trade.

GP
03-01-2009, 11:03 AM
Bush is said to be somewhat less than happy with his treatment by the Raiders. The Raiders have wanted him to split his time with the FB position. He's made it known that this is not acceptable. He has taken
2nd fiddle to McFadden......a role he has not taken to very well. There has been significant riff between him and new coaching staff. He may just "force" a trade.

I think he's better than McFadden. Honestly I do.

He has a right to be angry. That whole team should be angry, except half the team is thrilled to be overpaid with no real accountability. And the other half know they don't even play well enough to be on a real NFL team. That team is a circus act.

TexansFan33
03-01-2009, 11:22 AM
Does anyone think picking up cedric benson would be a good move?

gafftop
03-01-2009, 11:23 AM
Ok guys I am starting to feel a little better. I do have confidence in the Texans coaching and management now in drafting and signing free agents. How did we end up with Green though, was that Sherman? Also what about Reeves, can someone show him which direction the QB is? Better stop now, I am losing confidence. Thanks

Danish_bull
03-01-2009, 11:51 AM

It could certainly be a good addition IMO.

Specnatz
03-01-2009, 11:53 AM

As long as I get to party on his boat, and he comes really really cheap.

Maddict5
03-01-2009, 12:37 PM
will we turn sage's pick into michael bush.. or is that still a tad too much?

Big Poundcake
03-01-2009, 12:46 PM

If we could get him cheap, then Yes.

I think the Texans offense would fit his skill set.

The Pencil Neck
03-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Ok guys I am starting to feel a little better. I do have confidence in the Texans coaching and management now in drafting and signing free agents. How did we end up with Green though, was that Sherman? Also what about Reeves, can someone show him which direction the QB is? Better stop now, I am losing confidence. Thanks

I'm pretty sure Green was Sherman's call.

And hopefully, Reeves will get better when the ball is in the air and his back is to the QB. He's actually pretty good when he's facing the QB. But he doesn't seem to be able to read the receiver and find the ball.

GP
03-01-2009, 01:08 PM
will we turn sage's pick into michael bush.. or is that still a tad too much?

Too much? I don't think the Raiders would think it was ENOUGH.

They have three RBs, and Bush isn't happy with it, and I don't blame him. RB-by-committee is good when there's two starter-type RBs...not so good when there's three guys: McFadden, Fargas, and Bush.

Fargas had a lot of playing time against us, and looked good. They're invested in McFadden. And yet they don't want to let Bush go "on-the-cheap."

Raiders are in the driver's seat. They won't let him go for a 4th, IMO. I would send Jacoby and one of our 4th to them for Bush. I bet they would do that deal.

The1ApplePie
03-01-2009, 01:55 PM
I'm thinking Maroney may be on the market. He would be the perfect pick up

CloakNNNdagger
03-01-2009, 01:56 PM

They have three RBs, and Bush isn't happy with it, and I don't blame him. RB-by-committee is good when there's two starter-type RBs...not so good when there's three guys: McFadden, Fargas, and Bush.

Fargas had a lot of playing time against us, and looked good. They're invested in McFadden. And yet they don't want to let Bush go "on-the-cheap."

Raiders are in the driver's seat. They won't let him go for a 4th, IMO. I would send Jacoby and one of our 4th to them for Bush. I bet they would do that deal.

Although they let Moss go to the Pats for a 4th, I would have to agree with you a bundled JJ should be quite appealing to them. The Raiders' wide receivers have with few exceptions been historically poor. Last year was no exception. Even though JJ's hands are questionable, the Raiders' evaluation of talent and, especially, what THEY can do with it are abysmal. Hence, JJ quite likely would strike them as a perfect fit.

MojoMan
03-02-2009, 08:19 AM
Good timing on this thread. You were 24 hours early. With Cedric Benson being the hot topic of the day, as discussed in the Cedric Benson thread, it looks like the Texans staff is on it.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6288896.html

scourge
03-02-2009, 08:25 AM
The Raiders are looking to trade Michael Bush. He's a huge bruiser that would compliment Slaton perfectly. His broken leg is his only injury history and has no significant future implications. The Raiders have never been known for smart trades. This could be one that the Texans could turn for a player or a pick, and never look back.........making out like a bandit.

And we are?!?!? The Raiders gave us P-Buc for at least a 2nd and 3rd if I remember correctly. How much did we screw them over on that one?

Hooston Texan
03-02-2009, 02:41 PM

Agree with everything except your very last sentence. Getting Bush for a 4th rounder would be a steal. I think a fourth plus JJ, in the abstract, is reasonable value, but the Raiders already have their own version of JJ in Johnnie Lee Higgins (3 punt return TD's last year, including one against us). The guy I'd shop for Bush is Andre Davis. I'd hate to lose AD, but his greatest value to us--besides returning KOs, where he fell off a bit last year--is as a backup to AJ. He's not very productive in the slot, but he played quite well when AJ's injury thrust him into the spotlight.

Doing that deal (Davis plus, if necessary a late pick) would pretty much require us to match the Bronco's on Anderson, but we'd be saving what we paid Davis. And we'd return our best #1 WR (AJ), #2 WR (Walter) and our best slot (DA). We'd need another WR, perhaps two, in the draft, but with Bush and Antonio Smith signed, I'd be willing to consider using #15 for the right WR.

This whole BPA business is really exciting.

JWarren14
03-02-2009, 02:54 PM
If we can put together a deal for Michael Bush I would be so freaking happy :doot:

He would be a great compliment to Slaton and we could have two of the best young RBs in the league. I could part with JJ or AD and a 4th if it meant we get the deal done. Before he was injured people were evaluating him as a first round talent. He put up 177 yards on TB with the Raiders! I would love to see him and Slaton running with Gibbs system and setting up that bootleg action with AJ running past everyone for a TD! Lets get it done....

gafftop
10-22-2011, 09:29 AM

Just my opinion. Thanks

Posted before the 2009 season.

Just another *********g example of this FO/Coaching staff having no CLUE. If you remember this was the 2009 season where one win would have put us in the playoffs. The year Chris Brown was our star RB. The year we couldn't run the ball in from 1 yard away. People on this board could see what was going to happen why couldn't our damn braintrust see it. Do you understand why I am sick of this front office. Coaching/Front office does make a difference. Do you really think we would have a pass rush if we had not changed DC? I know players play the game but the GM/coaches determine what players are on the field and on your team. Yeah I am pissed .

DexmanC
10-22-2011, 09:48 AM

Just another *********g example of this FO/Coaching staff having no CLUE. If you remember this was the 2009 season where one win would have put us in the playoffs. The year Chris Brown was our star RB. The year we couldn't run the ball in from 1 yard away. People on this board could see what was going to happen why couldn't our damn braintrust see it. Do you understand why I am sick of this front office. Coaching/Front office does make a difference. Do you really think we would have a pass rush if we had not changed DC? I know players play the game but the GM/coaches determine what players are on the field and on your team. Yeah I am pissed .

Kubiak loves the pass so much, he asked his running back to do it in a
key division game on the road. Seems they can only beat the Jags
when the Del Rio rests his starters.

ArlingtonTexan
10-22-2011, 10:00 AM
I missing the relevance of bumping a 2009 thread to further complain about 2009 issues. There are plenty 2011 administrative mistakes/issues at hand.

VTexan
10-22-2011, 10:31 AM

must spread rep.....

negative rep that is

drunkcookie
10-22-2011, 11:38 AM
Yah, i'm still fuming... about how they stuck Merlin in there with Maverick when the easier solution would have been: DON'T KILL OFF GOOSE... I was three years old in the theatre and i remember it as if it were yesterday.. Death.... taxes...and there are NOT two O's in Merlin...

I'm sorry, if something from two years ago retroactively pissed me off enough to raise a thread about it from the dead, i'd have to distance myself from that something... esspecially if that something is an effing game...

Sent from my ryePhone 12G using Tapakeg

Surreal McCoy
10-22-2011, 12:13 PM
I'm sorry, if something from two years ago retroactively pissed me off enough to raise a thread about it from the dead...

So you and gafftop are one and same?

Texanmike02
10-22-2011, 03:08 PM

Its a thread necromancer?

WTF man. You're boring us.

Mike

badboy
10-22-2011, 03:17 PM
Yah, i'm still fuming... about how they stuck Merlin in there with Maverick when the easier solution would have been: DON'T KILL OFF GOOSE... I was three years old in the theatre and i remember it as if it were yesterday.. Death.... taxes...and there are NOT two O's in Merlin...

I'm sorry, if something from two years ago retroactively pissed me off enough to raise a thread about it from the dead, i'd have to distance myself from that something... esspecially if that something is an effing game...

Sent from my ryePhone 12G using TapakegDon't talk like that, I'm looking thru my old threads right now.

ArlingtonTexan
10-22-2011, 03:38 PM
NOthing good or even mildly entertaining has come of this.