PDA

View Full Version : Orlovsky (QB) visits Texans (signs 3/1)

TEXANS84
02-28-2009, 01:16 PM
Per Chron.com

They are having some website issues so I'm having trouble posting the Link.

Errant Hothy
02-28-2009, 01:16 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6286086.html

Dan Orlovsky is the second free agent quarterback who will visit the Texans.

Orlovsky, who started for Detroit in the Lions' 28-21 loss on Oct. 19 at Reliant Stadium, follows Denver's Patrick Ramsey, who was in town Friday and today. Orlovsky will visit today and Sunday.

Looks like thet are taking there time and looking at all the options to back-up Schaub; which is nothing but a good thing.

Brando
02-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Safety dance! :thisbig:

Errant Hothy
02-28-2009, 01:18 PM
Safety dance! :thisbig:

Yeah, that and 0-16 are hard to be impressed by.

HouSportsWriter
02-28-2009, 01:27 PM
i actuly wanted him dont get me wrong the safety thing stunk but he did tare the texans up that game in the Lions' 28-21 loss on Oct. 19 at Reliant Stadium,

i say sign him:splits::specnatz::splits:

The Pencil Neck
02-28-2009, 01:30 PM
Orlovsky wouldn't bother me. I think he's got a higher ceiling than Ramsey but Ramsey at least knows a version of the offense.

HouSportsWriter
02-28-2009, 01:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQv3eVg4cIg

must watch!

Calvin Johnson 96 yd. Touchdown

from endzone vs texans

all he had that game was calvin johnson think of what he could do with texans andra and slaton and owen danials ...

mexican_texan
02-28-2009, 01:35 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80c24fb0

Well, since he ^^ beat me to it, here's his highlights against Chicago. His first pick was Calvin's mistake, not his. Look at his passes and tell me he couldn't do the same with AJ as he does with Calvin Johnson. Orlovsky knew how to use Calvin, I don't think Schaub knows how to use AJ to his full potential.

And no, I'm not calling for Orlovsky to be the starter, but I'd be fine with him being #2 over Ramsey or Boyd.

HouSportsWriter
02-28-2009, 01:40 PM
i like him even tho the safty thing . i hope he wont do that agin

sign him now!!!!

Specnatz
02-28-2009, 01:44 PM
He improved as the year went on and I think he would be a very capable backup.

nunusguy
02-28-2009, 01:51 PM
I dunno but somehow had the impression that Ramsey had been signed, sealed, and delivered but apparently not so. It would seem we haven't settled on anybody as our backup QB and we are still shopping ?

Pantherstang84
02-28-2009, 02:01 PM
i actuly wanted him dont get me wrong the safety thing stunk but he did tare the texans up that game in the Lions' 28-21 loss on Oct. 19 at Reliant Stadium,

i say sign him:splits::specnatz::splits:

Yes he belongs in the following distinguished QB class that looked like Pro-Bowlers against the Texans...

Trent Green
Cleo Lemon
Joey Harrington
Fill in your favorite non-NFL QB name here

GP
02-28-2009, 02:05 PM
Anybody but Ramsey. I think Ramsey isn't anywhere near the done deal we had anticipated. That would make TWICE that we passed on him.

Anybody but Ramsey.

LORK 88
02-28-2009, 03:09 PM
He should wear #2 in Houston just to go with the whole safety joke. But I wouldn't mind him either. He has more potential and is younger than Ramsey. I'm sure Kubiak could do a better job working with Orlovsky and breaking his bad tendancies.

Jackie Chiles
02-28-2009, 03:15 PM
I would not mind Ramsey as the but if I could choose I would take Orlovsky.

Insideop
02-28-2009, 03:16 PM
Yep, Orlovsky > Ramsey! JMHO!

b0ng
02-28-2009, 03:58 PM
Dan-O! I've wanted Dan the Man since I watched that bomb he threw to Megatron against us last year.

He's obviously got some issues with things that have been addressed in this thread already, but I'm willing to let Kubes and Shanny do their thing with him.

If I had to take a guess, I'd guess we try to sign both him and Ramsey.

The Pencil Neck
02-28-2009, 04:02 PM
OOOoookkkk...

So... Let's say we get Orlovsky and we let David Anderson go... would we start looking at FA WRs... like... maybe... Shaun McDonald from the Lions?

nunusguy
02-28-2009, 04:17 PM
I dunno, is this the guy who ran 10 yards more in one game, still trying to pass on the run after exiting the EZ ?
But he definitely looked good in their game against us in Reliant last year.

GP
02-28-2009, 04:29 PM
I'm going to predict that Orlovsky becomes a Texan.

Kubiak will like how Orly hasn't really been given a fair shake with the overall problems in Detroit. Kubes will think Orly is more athletic than Ramsey, less prone to injury than Ramsey. And he will think Orly is a guy he can work with and mentor.

Kubiak looooves to gamble for the reward of turning a guy's career around. As do most NFL coaches/staffs. It's basically a grown-up pissing match between the guys in the NFL.

I can't see ANY upside to Ramsey. IMO, Sage is easily > Ramsey and we all know how that ended....

Orlovsky will be a Texan.

mexican_texan
02-28-2009, 05:03 PM
Orlovsky isn't really a turn-around guy. He was already heading in a good direction in Detroit.

GP
02-28-2009, 05:09 PM
Orlovsky isn't really a turn-around guy. He was already heading in a good direction in Detroit.

In the game against us, I will concede that his WRs were dropping passes they should have caught. And I do like the fact that they drew up a deep pass play to Calvin and Orly executed it perfectly without flinching--Tossing up "the bomb" is where I think most backups struggle, to find that timing and that courage to throw it deep.

But running out of bounds, in the back of the endzone for as long as he did, is as big of a sin as Sage's helicopter incident. It ranks as things that a focused and "ready" QB never does.

You can't tell me that he wouldn't want to be on a Kubiak coached team, when you look at how much Kubiak has been involved with Denver (Elway) and other NFL QBs that have worked with him. Contrast this with what he dealt with last season in Detroit.

There's a win-win waiting, IMO.

imatexan
02-28-2009, 06:18 PM
Noooooooo!

euro-Texan
02-28-2009, 06:37 PM
Noooooooo!

Who were you hoping for? maybe we could get P Manning
as a back up

imatexan
02-28-2009, 07:39 PM
Who were you hoping for? maybe we could get P Manning
as a back up

Ya what an idea!
:foottap:

Anyone but this guy, that is who I was wishing for.

Scooter
02-28-2009, 07:50 PM
getting rid of rosencopter and signing outofboundsky, i like it!

Kaiser Toro
02-28-2009, 07:52 PM
I hope to heck we do not sign Orlovsky. Besides me not liking players that have no feel for the game, I would take a beating at work from the two Lions fans I work with.

CloakNNNdagger
02-28-2009, 11:32 PM
I would have to believe that that ONE HUGE MISTEP he had early in his career will have had a greater lesson learned effect on him than most players experience in a lifetime. Having survived this, I believe this kid with the right coaching could not only turn into our best option for backup QB, but also a promising young prospect for future Texans starter.

Orlovsky’s Saftey Dance

I can dance (win) if I want to
I can leave my friends (Lions) behind
'Cause my friends (Lions) don't dance (win) and if they don't dance (win)
Well they're no friends of mine
I say, I can go where I want to (Houston)
A place where they will never find (lose)
And I can act like I come from out of this world (out of bounds)
Leave the real one (end zone) far behind
And I can dance (win)

I say, I can dance (win), I can dance (win)
Everything out of control (gunslinger)
I can dance (win), I can dance (win)
I’m doing it from wall to wall (goal to goal)
Everybody look at my hands
Always takin' the cha-a-a-ance (long bomb)

Safety (guaranteed) dance (win)
Is it safe (a guarantee) to dance (win)
Is it safe (a guarantee) to dance (win)

S-s-s-s A-a-a-a F-f-f-f E-e-e-e T-t-t-t Y-y-y-y (GUARANTEED)
Safe (a guarantee) , dance (WIN)!

b0ng
02-28-2009, 11:54 PM
The difference in Sunday's game was a safety with 18 seconds left in the first quarter. The stat sheet says Jared Allen sacked Dan Orlovsky for the safety.

That's not entirely true. Allen was chasing him. But Orlovsky, making his first NFL start, accidentally ran out of the back of the end zone.

"I heard the whistle," Orlovsky said. "I was like, 'Did we false start? Was somebody offsides, or something?' Then I looked down and was like, 'You're an i d i o t.'"

Seriously, I love this kid. Even if he makes a dumb play he owns it.

LINK (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/30872769.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiU9PmP:QiUiD3aPc:_Yyc: aUU)

Norg
03-01-2009, 12:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQv3eVg4cIg

must watch!

Calvin Johnson 96 yd. Touchdown

from endzone vs texans

all he had that game was calvin johnson think of what he could do with texans andra and slaton and owen danials ...

D faggins

Shakes head yet another faliure for us ..............

mexican_texan
03-01-2009, 01:01 AM
I hope to heck we do not sign Orlovsky. Besides me not liking players that have no feel for the game, I would take a beating at work from the two Lions fans I work with.
No feel for the game? I watched the Lions a few times in a bit of schadenfreude, since watching the Lions go O-fer made me feel a lot better about 2005. Orlovsky, believe it or not, was a winner. He put them in position to win time after time, only to see a dropped ball or a bad defensive drive result in a loss. This guy is going to be in the league in five years, he's no Patrick Ramsey.

He had one bad play in his first season, but what quarterback didn't? I'd like to see a QB who can think clearly with that beast of a man chasing him.

thunderwolf
03-01-2009, 01:21 PM
just got an ESPN alert text, Orlovsky has agreed to a three year/ $9 million contract.

steelbtexan
03-01-2009, 01:27 PM
With the Texans?

He will be an upgrade over Sage after Kubes works with him.

I guess Kubes liked what he saw in Orlovsky when they played them last year.

Maddict5
03-01-2009, 01:30 PM
D faggins

Shakes head yet another faliure for us ..............

last game he was spotted on defence last yr right?

just got an ESPN alert text, Orlovsky has agreed to a three year/ $9 million contract.

same as sage with the vikes

thunderwolf
03-01-2009, 01:30 PM
yeah, with the Texans. Sorry, I guess I could have been more specific lollerz. He'll be a good back up for Schaubster, and better then an old guy like Patrick Ramsey.

GP
03-01-2009, 01:37 PM

I'm watching espnews right now and there's nothing.

There's nothing on espn website and foxsports website.

If this happens, I'd like to say "I called it!" and I think he's better than Ramsey. Didn't care one bit for Ramsey.

Thorn
03-01-2009, 01:40 PM
Fox is reporting this also. http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/090228_orlovsky_meets_with_texans

TheRealJoker
03-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Orlovsky is an excellent option for backup QB and I think given time under Kubiak he'll be better than Sage.

brakos82
03-01-2009, 01:52 PM
After trading Sage Rosenfels to the Minnesota Vikings on Friday, the Houston Texans needed a backup quarterback. They got one on Sunday, signing former Lions QB Dan Orlovsky, who arrived in Houston on Saturday and signed on Sunday.

Source: NFL.com (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/01/orlovsky-lands-with-texans/)

hdbn
03-01-2009, 01:59 PM
last game he was spotted on defence last yr right?

same as sage with the vikes

Sage contract is for 2 years

GP
Fox is reporting this also. http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/090228_orlovsky_meets_with_texans

Good job of finding the news report, you dirty old man.

Thorn
Well, that settles that. Orlovsky and Brink to backup Schaub. I doubt they'll be taking a QB in the draft now, even if it's a late pick.

Thorn
03-01-2009, 02:00 PM
Good job of finding the news report, you dirty old man.

LOL. Thanks, I'm searching for NFL news today, not.....aw nevermind.

GP
03-01-2009, 02:00 PM
Orlovsky is an excellent option for backup QB and I think given time under Kubiak he'll be better than Sage.

I smell a QB controversy already!

Bwaa-ha-ha-ha! BWAA-HA-HA-HA!!!

Start Orly!

Mailman
03-01-2009, 02:08 PM
This is a great signing! Orlovsky can play.

V3rm0nt3r
03-01-2009, 02:11 PM
good move in my opinion. young QB, big arm, solid guidance. give him three to four years then trade him for another fourth rounder.

jaayteetx
03-01-2009, 02:12 PM
This is a great signing! Orlovsky can play.

IDK, hopefully Schaub stays healthy and we won't need to find the answer to that.

DiapHer
03-01-2009, 02:15 PM
I'm trying to figure out how to pronounce his name.

GP
03-01-2009, 02:17 PM
IDK, hopefully Schaub stays healthy and we won't need to find the answer to that.

Hey jaayteetx: How long have you been in Albuqwirky?

Me and my wife and kids went there over Labor Day. Went to the wine festival for the first time. Pretty cool, except for the rain that made it like Woodstock!

Anyway, it's a beautiful place IMO. And...it's the home of the Greg Jackson MMA gym. The nation's best group of MMA fighters train there, IMO.

jaayteetx
03-01-2009, 02:25 PM
Hey jaayteetx: How long have you been in Albuqwirky?

Me and my wife and kids went there over Labor Day. Went to the wine festival for the first time. Pretty cool, except for the rain that made it like Woodstock!

Anyway, it's a beautiful place IMO. And...it's the home of the Greg Jackson MMA gym. The nation's best group of MMA fighters train there, IMO.

Been here for nine years now and your right, its a beautiful place. I just love the fresh air and mountains. Didn't get too much of that growing up along the Houston ship channel in LaPorte! As for the MMA fighters, a few of my buddies from work have seen a few of the guys around town at the local watering holes, but I never have myself.

Ole Miss Texan
Well, that settles that. Orlovsky and Brink to backup Schaub. I doubt they'll be taking a QB in the draft now, even if it's a late pick.

These are pretty much my thoughts too. Solid back up to replace sage. Keep Brink developing on the practice squad... continue to focus on defense and OL depth in the draft!

Specnatz

Well Monday is really going to suck for KT.

But on the other hand I lam really liking this move. :smiliedance: :specnatz: :fans:

Thorn
03-01-2009, 02:26 PM
It's up on the official Texans site now. http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5171

Specnatz
03-01-2009, 02:27 PM
I'm trying to figure out how to pronounce his name.

I would think it is

Or-lav-ski

SteveSlaton20
03-01-2009, 02:29 PM
Funny.

Both Texas teams got a QB from Detroit.

But, I think this is a good sign, anyway.

CloakNNNdagger
03-01-2009, 02:43 PM
good move in my opinion. young QB, big arm, solid guidance. give him three to four years then trade him for another fourth rounder.

By that time we may not be looking to trade him. We may have already promoted him.

BullBlitz
03-01-2009, 02:44 PM
With the Texans?

He will be an upgrade over Sage after Kubes works with him.

I guess Kubes liked what he saw in Orlovsky when they played them last year.

Really?

Overalls
03-01-2009, 02:44 PM
I don't know enough about Orlovsky to get excited or mad but I am glad that we didn't get Ramsey. I would rather an unknown talent than a known not good one.

brakos82
03-01-2009, 02:46 PM
I would think it is

Or-L
lav-ski
At least we don't have Adimchinobe Echemandu anymore... :thinking:

rarazz00
03-01-2009, 02:47 PM
O'ski:smiliedance:J/K..I think its pronounced Orloski..V is silent, anyway, this is good news..now lets see if we can get a FA RB at a good price

barrett
03-01-2009, 02:54 PM

Well Monday is really going to suck for KT.

But on the other hand I lam really liking this move. :smiliedance: :specnatz: :fans:

Kaiser is having a rough off season so far. He hates Antonio Smith more than Dale hates Ephram Salaam, and now this!

Don't give up on us Kaiser! We still love you.

Htownsportsfan
03-01-2009, 02:54 PM
I like this signing better than the signing P. Ramsey!

This guy is talented no 10 yard end zone can contain him!

keyser
03-01-2009, 02:55 PM

Wow. I don't really know enough about Orlovsky to know whether it's a good or bad signing, or whether this contract is good or not for him. But, it's certainly higher than I expected (averaging $3 million a year). As someone said, that's what Sage is getting paid (effectively to be a starter). It's a lot more than we were paying Sage last year.

I've been feeling that way about most of the Texans' signings this year (Wilson, Smith, Orlovsky, though not Dreesen) - it has been quite a bit more than I expected, though I still don't have a good feeling whether it's a good or bad deal (unlike, say, the Ahman Green trade...).

beerlover
03-01-2009, 02:58 PM
After trading Sage Rosenfels to the Minnesota Vikings on Friday, the Houston Texans needed a backup quarterback. They got one on Sunday, signing former Lions QB Dan Orlovsky, who arrived in Houston on Saturday and signed on Sunday.

Orlovsky received a three-year, $9.15 million contract with a $2.4 million signing bonus. The Broncos also were interested in Orlovsky, a four-year NFL veteran who started seven games for the Lions in 2008, but Denver was outbid by Houston.

Posted in: Adam Schefter

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/01/orlovsky-lands-with-texans/

told you payback was a ***** (referrence to Bronco attempts to sign Anderson).

barrett
03-01-2009, 03:07 PM
I like this move. Until Schaub gets us 16 (or 19) in a row I feel like we need to have someone somewhat proven behind him. I have complete faith in Schaub's ability but still feel like we need a "game manager" to back him up. I think we just got that.

So far, I see nothing yet that rubs me the wrong way this offseason.

The Dunta franchise was ideal in my mind,
The Dreesen extension is solid and cost effective
The Smith addition makes sense both financially and from a personnel perspective in my mind. He's not a superstar pickup (which is good), he's sold and should bring more flexibility in the draft.
And now Orlovsky give us some assurance behind Schaub. Of the guys listed as available, he makes as much sense as any of them. If Ramsey was healthy then he would have been sufficient.

I hope everything else we see this off season is cost effective.

was385
03-01-2009, 03:08 PM
I like the signing. He's not a starter-quality QB, but he's definitely talented enough to be a very good backup. He's been a punchline a number of times through his career but I'm confident with him behind Schaub on the depth chart.

Kaiser Toro
03-01-2009, 03:11 PM
Kaiser is having a rough off season so far. He hates Antonio Smith more than Dale hates Ephram Salaam, and now this!

Don't give up on us Kaiser! We still love you.

I do not hate Antonio Smith, just his contract. Orlovsky for 3m per? Wow! I would have rather kept Sage and given back the draft pick.

We need a revamping of the Scouting department and the GM should be on thin ice. We cleaned house this offseason, but we did not get better in the long term. I want a playoff run as much as the next guy, but just do not see us getting better, just spending dollars - been there, done that already.

CloakNNNdagger
03-01-2009, 03:13 PM
I would believe that Orlovsky's contract measures up quite favorably with the final 3 year (previously incorrectly reported as 2 year) Rosenfels contract :

Minn Star Tribune 02/28/09 (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/40455672.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUncacyi8cyaiUiD3aPc:_ Yyc:aUU)

Rosenfels addressed the media Friday after signing what amounts to a three-year, $9 million contract that calls for $5 million in guarantees.

Mailman
03-01-2009, 03:14 PM
I do not hate Antonio Smith, just his contract. Orlovsky for 3m per? Wow! I would have rather kept Sage and given back the draft pick.

We need a revamping of the Scouting department and the GM should be on thin ice. We cleaned house this offseason, but we did not get better in the long term. I want a playoff run as much as the next guy, but just do not see us getting better, just spending dollars - been there, done that already.

Orlovsky has the arm and the talent to be a legit NFL starter. I think he's well worth the contract and will only reap nice rewards for the franchise in the form of future draft picks.

Kaiser Toro
03-01-2009, 03:19 PM
Orlovsky has the arm and the talent to be a legit NFL starter. I think he's well worth the contract and will only reap nice rewards for the franchise in the form of future draft picks.

Our top FA signings this year to date were a back up QB from an 0-16 team, and a spot starter for one of the worst defenses in the NFL. I hope you are right, historicals are not in the Texans favor with these signings.

barrett
03-01-2009, 03:19 PM

I know you don't hate him Kaiser, (unlike Dale, who I actually heard making death threats to Ephraim's daughters at a charity event last spring.)

But I don't see your disdain for some of Smith's other moves. Even this one, with decent cap headroom and a top 5-10 QB who has yet to be able to stay on the field for an entire season we are not ready to go "unknown" at the backup position. And with more improvement needed on defense it makes sense to take a step sideways at QB so that we can take a step forward on defense.

If there was a way to measure the value of Orlovsky at his price + an extra 4th round pick, compared to Sage at his (1 year remaining) price - the extra fourth, I think it would come out as a positive addition.

Same with the price for a player on the DL that the DC knows what he's getting that allows them to draft with more confidence in april. I think it adds up ok.

dalemurphy
03-01-2009, 03:22 PM

Kaiser, I really think you're not seeing the financial health of this team. If you look at the way this team is spending money, it's doing quite well. Go to this site: inthebullseye.com for great salary cap information. We're in very good cap health and I've yet to see a deal that even begins to mortgage the future. Even though the cap has increased about 25% from the Casserly era, the A. Smith signing has less guaranteed money than the entire sorted list of crap: Weaver, T.Wade, R.Smith, etc... Look at the deals that are being signed out there by healthy organizations:

Indy: Kelvin Hayden 5/$45 mil 22.5 bonus
Balt: Dominique Foxorth 4/$28 million
Pitts: Max Starks... franchised!! yuck!
Carolina: J.Peppers franchised for $17 million

dalemurphy
03-01-2009, 03:24 PM
Our top FA signings this year to date were a back up QB from an 0-16 team, and a spot starter for one of the worst defenses in the NFL. I hope you are right, historicals are not in the Texans favor with these signings.

Kaiser, tell me what you would've done in FA to improve?

barrett
03-01-2009, 03:29 PM
I will say that I would have felt just fine if we did less than we've done.

If we spent this offseason locking up the guys we have including the majority of our tenders, I'd feel pretty good with it.

I'm fine with us doing as much as we have. (I have stated elsewhere that I would like to see us settle in until the draft with cheaper depth guys from here on out.)

But we are preparing for April when this team feels like it can gain the most value. if everything we're doing in February and March enables us to draft better with more selections then I feel pretty good about that. I have quite a bit of confidence in our FO when it comes to drafting football players.

Mailman
03-01-2009, 03:29 PM

Bang on the Lions if you must, but you should know that there are many Detroit fans who wanted Orlovsky over Culpepper and didn't want him to leave. He's played well at times and he's sucked at times, but I can see him developing into a very good backup quarterback in our offense and under the tutelage of Kubiak. Go look at his game logs for his starts and you might not feel so bad about the signing. His passer rating in those games suggests he can play QB in the NFL.

Kaiser Toro
03-01-2009, 03:32 PM
Kaiser, I really think you're not seeing the financial health of this team. If you look at the way this team is spending money, it's doing quite well. Go to this site: inthebullseye.com for great salary cap information. We're in very good cap health and I've yet to see a deal that even begins to mortgage the future. Even though the cap has increased about 25% from the Casserly era, the A. Smith signing has less guaranteed money than the entire sorted list of crap: Weaver, T.Wade, R.Smith, etc... Look at the deals that are being signed out there by healthy organizations:

Indy: Kelvin Hayden 5/$45 mil 22.5 bonus
Balt: Dominique Foxorth 4/$28 million
Pitts: Max Starks... franchised!! yuck!
Carolina: J.Peppers franchised for $17 million

I do not see the finanical health of the team? You obviously do not read any of my posts.

It is very Casserly to bring in a part time starter to be the second highest paid defensive player on the team next year.

Kaiser Toro
03-01-2009, 03:34 PM
Kaiser, tell me what you would've done in FA to improve?

Build through the draft, re-sign our players, bring in journeyman at minimum cost and instill competition. That is what I would do, not go to the FA well that has killed this team time and time again.

Specnatz
03-01-2009, 03:35 PM

You do realize that good players do play on bad teams or bad defenses don't you?

Besides I think you are looking at the large dollar figure without looking at the guaranteed dollar figure.

Build through the draft, re-sign our players, bring in journeyman at minimum cost and instill competition. That is what I would do, not go to the FA well that has killed this team time and time again.

Yes and then when the team does not win immediately you would want the Coach and GM fired.

Kaiser Toro
03-01-2009, 03:39 PM
You do realize that good players do play on bad teams or bad defenses don't you?

Besides I think you are looking at the large dollar figure without looking at the guaranteed dollar figure.

I do realize that, but that does not mean our Scouts/FO get it right. I am very familiar with the contract and bonus allocations.

Kaiser Toro
03-01-2009, 03:40 PM
Yes and then when the team does not win immediately you would want the Coach and GM fired.

What? Is that the collective you?

barrett
I don't think after it's all said and done, that he will be the second highest paid. Dunta's pay this year is higher than his isn't it? If not, it stands to reason that it will be next season if he's still a Texan. Demeco stands to make signifigantly more as well. I could see him becoming the 4th highest paid player on the defense by the end of the year. But our defense doesn't really have any guys that deserve any more than Smith other than the obvious:

Williams,
Ryans,
Robinson

I mean who else on our team deserves to make more at this point? Who else on our defense has earned a payday thus far?

I would make a case for Diles if he had continued on his tear, but he didn't. He's still unproven.

Our entire defense is unproven basically. Some of the people on this board even think that Ryans is unproven. I think there are ALOT of questions on this defense.

Bennett 1 good, one so so year
Molden physical potential can't get on the field because of injuries
Adibi ditto
Diles one half of a good season
Wilson compensated
Barber completely unproven

I have to wonder where the guys are on this team that do deserve a payday at all? Sh!t, now i'm really scared for next year!

edit: it is a coincidence that I forgot to mention Reeves who you could make a point for getting overpaid. but I even think that his worth is yet to be defined having shown progress as the season went on.

Errant Hothy

The only thing easier then missing in free agency is missing in the draft.

Ole Miss Texan
03-01-2009, 03:42 PM
I Keep hearing Anotonio Smith is the second highest paid defensive player on our team. While that may be fact, it's kind of misleading.

Demeco is still playing from his rookie contract. He'll most likely get re-signed before the year is done meaning he'll be the 2nd highest paid guy on defense playing during this season.

Amobi is in his rookie contract and has $12.75 million in guarantees.

Dunta just got franchised making about $10 million this year and if we end up signing him to a new contract, it's going to be higher than Antonio Smith's.

We all know how important the other DE spot is and that is going to get paid handsomly.

Orlovsky's terms seem higher to me than I would have thought they'd be. I like that the guaranteed portion is minimal so that reduces some risk.

Kaiser Toro
03-01-2009, 03:43 PM
The only thing easier then missing in free agency is missing in the draft.

Absolutely, but our historicals in the Smith era prove otherwise. Any corporation can rattle off its core competencies and how they leverage them into their model. Our strength from an acquisition standpoint is via the draft, do you not agree with that?

ChampionTexan
03-01-2009, 03:46 PM
Absolutely, but our historicals in the Smith era prove otherwise. Any corporation can rattle off its core competencies and how they leverage them into their model. Our strength from an acquisition standpoint is via the draft, do you not agree with that?

Please expand on the Smith era Free Agents that have killed this team time and time again?

barrett
03-01-2009, 03:48 PM
I certainly do. And I make the argument that some of our offseason moves allow for that success.

Kaiser Toro
03-01-2009, 03:48 PM
I Keep hearing Anotonio Smith is the second highest paid defensive player on our team. While that may be fact, it's kind of misleading.

It is not misleading, it is a fact. And that fact will be pounced on by D-Rob's agent nex year, and any other FA that we have to deal with. I am more convinced than ever that D-Rob will not be here next year, should he perform to his early 2007 status.

Smith is Frank Bush's guy, I hope like heck Frank Bush knows what he is doing or we will be on our third DC in our franchise's history that kills the team.

Kaiser Toro
03-01-2009, 03:51 PM
Please expand on the Smith era Free Agents that have killed this team time and time again?

I have clearly stated in the post that you quoted that we have done very well in the draft, more so than FA. I can expand on our successes in the draft if you like, and you can expand on the winning FA signings to date.

Ole Miss Texan
03-01-2009, 03:52 PM
I don't think after it's all said and done, that he will be the second highest paid.

Wow we were pretty much writing the same thing at the same time. I'm in agreement here.

I see the Orlovsky signing kind of like the Reeves signing of last year. Reeves was brought in because it was critical. We may have overpaid him but in order to get him on our team we'd have to. Without him last year our secondary would be that much worse, I think he played the best of all the CBs.

I think Smith had to give Orlovsky more money because the options of QBs they may have liked for our team could be nonexistent. I bet the felt it was better to get Orlovsky, a huge insurance policy for Schaub, than going with Ramsey.

ChampionTexan
03-01-2009, 03:54 PM
I have clearly stated in the post that you quoted that we have done very well in the draft, more so than FA. I can expand on our successes in the draft if you like, and you can expand on the winning FA signings to date.

I'm not arguing that Free Agency has been a success. You stated that it's killed this team time and time again, but I think it's just kind of been mostly a non-event. Nothing overwhelming in the way of help, but nothing that's killed this team even once, much less time and time again (at least in the Smith era).

Specnatz
03-01-2009, 03:54 PM
What? Is that the collective you?

Not sure what "collective you" means, but what I am referring to is the wanting Kubiak fired because we went 8-8 because the team was building through the draft with all the holes this team had. Of course they had journeyman like Demps and Maddox here but that did not seem to get the team over the top.

Jackie Chiles
03-01-2009, 03:55 PM
It is not misleading, it is a fact. And that fact will be pounced on by D-Rob's agent nex year, and any other FA that we have to deal with. I am more convinced than ever that D-Rob will not be here next year, should he perform to his early 2007 status.

Smith is Frank Bush's guy, I hope like heck Frank Bush knows what he is doing or we will be on our third DC in our franchise's history that kills the team.

Dunta may not be around next year but I doubt this signing will have any impact on that. The FO will offer him what they think is a fair price, likely more than they offered this offseason, and he will either take it or he will decline it. Everyone on our defense should be excited about the Smith signing because it gives us the potential to be improved.

barrett
03-01-2009, 03:57 PM
I have to wonder though if we didn't sign Reeves...

actually what I really wonder is what happened to Bennett?

I could never figure out from any game that I watched what happened to him.

But anyway, with injuries we would have been dead in the water. Not to mention we may not have overpaid for Reeves. I think it remains to be seen.

Ole Miss Texan
03-01-2009, 03:57 PM
I stated that it was a fact but I think it's being exhaggerated. During this season, there's a good chance he could be the 3rd or 4th highest player on the defense. Signing him for the DE spot was a bigger priority at this point than re-signing Demeco. No other teams are negotiating with Demeco but others were with Smith.

I feel this way too. There was definitely a big 'push by Bush' to get Smith on the team. I hope he and the other coaches can get the defense playing good and aggressive. We cannot afford to have another failure at DC.

barrett
03-01-2009, 03:58 PM
Not sure what "collective you" means, but what I am referring to is the wanting Kubiak fired because we went 8-8 because the team was building through the draft with all the holes this team had. Of course they had journeyman like Demps and Maddox here but that did not seem to get the team over the top.

Spec,

for the record, you mean the collective you.

barrett
03-01-2009, 03:58 PM
I don't.

Mailman
03-01-2009, 03:59 PM
Sage Rosenfels 2008: 5 games started, 1431, yds, 6 TDs, 10 INTs, 2 FmL, 79.5 RTG

Dan Orlovsky 2008: 7 games started, 1616 yds, 8 TDs, 8 INTs, 0 FmL, 72.6 RTG.

Orlovsky is five or six years younger than Sage Rosenfels and he played on a crappy team with a horrible offensive line. I think Orlovsky will meet or exceed what we got out of Rosenfels considering the upgrade in talent around him.

Mari-OWNED!
03-01-2009, 03:59 PM
From Rosencopter to Outofboundsky.

I actually don't mind the signing, except that maybe we're giving him a little too much money. I wanted Fitzpatrick, but he already chose to play with the Bills.

barrett
03-01-2009, 04:00 PM
Wow we were pretty much writing the same thing at the same time. I'm in agreement here.

I see the Orlovsky signing kind of like the Reeves signing of last year. Reeves was brought in because it was critical. We may have overpaid him but in order to get him on our team we'd have to. Without him last year our secondary would be that much worse, I think he played the best of all the CBs.

I think Smith had to give Orlovsky more money because the options of QBs they may have liked for our team could be nonexistent. I bet the felt it was better to get Orlovsky, a huge insurance policy for Schaub, than going with Ramsey.

agreed and it also stands to reason that Ramsey may have not checked out physically. It was reported that he had elbow issues last year I believe. I bet this org is a bit tentative to take medical risks any more.

Errant Hothy
03-01-2009, 04:02 PM

I agree that we have a better track record in rounds 2 - 7 of the draft, then we do free agency. I'm not convinced yet of the new FO's record in the 1st round, we shall have a much better idea after this year.

Add to that the lack of elite 4-3 DE talent that projects to the first round of this draft and this oe looks better and better.

TexansSeminole
03-01-2009, 04:13 PM

What happened in FA in the past is like a sunk cost. You don't use that information to make future decisions. Because we missed on Ahman Green or Anthony Weaver we shouldn't look into FA? That's pretty much what you are saying here. That's a seriously limiting mindset there.

I don't see any misteps in FA thus far. We brought in competition for the backup spot with Orlovsky. He and Brink should have a healthy fight for that spot IMO.

DE Smith adds versatility. He has moved around during his time in Arizona and I don't see that changing in Houston. He is a much better player than Weaver, so we have upgraded our Dline. Sure we could have used a pure pass rusher more but show me where he is...

We still have plenty of money to use on re-signing our players and draft picks.

I think people are complaining because of what has happened in the past. People saying Smith is Weaver 2.0 simply did not watch the two players. They are not at all the same type of player. It's like people limit their research to going to NFL.com to look at their heights and weights.

Specnatz
03-01-2009, 04:14 PM
Spec,

for the record, you mean the collective you.

Still no clue what it means.

Jackie Chiles
03-01-2009, 04:17 PM
I don't see any misteps in FA thus far. We brought in competition for the backup spot with Orlovsky. He and Brink should have a healthy fight for that spot IMO.

I don't think there is any competition there at all. One of those guys is making money to be the back-up. Brink still has a season left on the PS and after that I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave. Having said that if I have to hear all the crying there will be when he leaves about what a wasted 7th round draft pick he was I might just puke. 7th rounder, honestly. /rant off

Hardcore Texan
03-01-2009, 04:17 PM
So did the Texans sign Orlovsky? What were the terms of the deal? I didn't know it was official and see posts that sounds like it is.

Fox
03-01-2009, 04:18 PM
I'm a fan of this signing. Kubiak has a track record of taking QB's with talent who are rough around the edges and making players out of them. Orlovsky has some talent and showed that he could improve even in an abysmal situation last year. I don't hold the safety incident against him, it was an epic mistake, but everyone steps in sh*t every now and then.

So far I'm cautiously optimistic about our FA's. We're not going out and spending huge dollars on the super high-end players, but we're making solid additions. You don't sign coveted players this early in FA without overpaying a bit. Unless a player was signed in the early first round this is the time of their career where they make their money.

Errant Hothy
03-01-2009, 04:18 PM

Here you go Hardcore, from early in the thread.

Hardcore Texan
03-01-2009, 04:19 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/01/orlovsky-lands-with-texans/

told you payback was a ***** (referrence to Bronco attempts to sign Anderson).

NM, I found this post.

Hardcore Texan
03-01-2009, 04:20 PM
Here you go Hardcore, from early in the thread.

Thanks, I was digging through the thread but I must have missed it.

TexansSeminole
03-01-2009, 04:21 PM
I don't think there is any competition there at all. One of those guys is making money to be the back-up. Brink still has a season left on the PS and after that I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave. Having said that if I have to hear all the crying there will be when he leaves about what a wasted 7th round draft pick he was I might just puke. 7th rounder, honestly. /rant off

I think Brink and Orlovsky will both be on the roster next year, and we should never just give a guy a position on the depth chart. They should have to atleast compete for it.

Sage knew our offense and we knew what we were getting with him so Kubiak felt comfortable having only 2 QBs on the roster. I see that changing this year.

Kaiser Toro
03-01-2009, 04:26 PM
What happened in FA in the past is like a sunk cost. You don't use that information to make future decisions. Because we missed on Ahman Green or Anthony Weaver we shouldn't look into FA? That's pretty much what you are saying here. That's a seriously limiting mindset there.

If you can't measure it, you can't manage it. Historicals are the baseline for business. You are out of your element if you do not that get that.

What I am saying is not what you said above. The market, needs, resources available, etc, are all factors to determine once in acquiring mode. Every year is different, however, the folks pulling the strings for the Texans are not.

I am not a Smith, Grier, Kubiak, Orlvosky, Antonio Smith fan. I am a Texan fan, and one that has never seen a winning season in seven years.

Kaiser Toro
03-01-2009, 04:29 PM
I think Brink and Orlovsky will both be on the roster next year, and we should never just give a guy a position on the depth chart. They should have to atleast compete for it.

Sage knew our offense and we knew what we were getting with him so Kubiak felt comfortable having only 2 QBs on the roster. I see that changing this year.

He has historically gone with two QBs. What makes you believe that he will change that philosophy? With the amount of money being paid to the QB position, I sure as heck hope he does not change the philosophy.

CloakNNNdagger
03-01-2009, 04:32 PM
Still no clue what it means.
Specnatz, I agree with your confusion. Your response was not a reference to the "collective you" since it seems to have been specifically in response to KT and his original "I" statement. :tiphat:

Texan in Japan
03-01-2009, 04:33 PM
Looks like we signed him! See chron.com/sports/

Jackie Chiles
03-01-2009, 04:34 PM

No one is going to claim Brink off of our PS during the season. I would be shocked if we carried 3 QBs on the active roster this season (barring injury). If there is a competition it will be in name only. Orlovsky has proven that he can function at the NFL level with much less talent than we have here. Basically I think Orlovsky has talent and Brinks, not so much.

kiwitexansfan
03-01-2009, 04:35 PM
For those of you who like me can't be bothered reading the previous 6 pages, via KFFL.com (http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl)

Texans | Orlovsky contract details
Sun, 01 Mar 2009 11:46:58 -0800

Updating a previous report, Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the Houston Texans have signed unrestricted free-agent QB Dan Orlovsky (Lions) to a three-year deal worth $9.15 million. The contract also included a $2.4 million signing bonus.

CloakNNNdagger
03-01-2009, 04:36 PM

I would tend to believe that the only 3rd QB on the team would be sitting on the Practice squad this year. We have too many other primary needs to waste an active roster spot.

V3rm0nt3r
03-01-2009, 04:39 PM
Really?

the guys got an ARM. if you didn't notice from the 96 yarder he has the ability to throw the ball up and let someone go get it. luckily for us we have a legit deep threat in AJ and a supposed deep threat in AD where as Detroit had Johnson and that was it. i'm optimistic for his future in H-town, not as a starter but trading value.

Kaiser Toro
03-01-2009, 04:40 PM
Specnatz, I agree with your confusion. Your response was not a reference to the "collective you" since it seems to have been specifically in response to KT and his original "I" statement. :tiphat:

Since I have not called for the coaches and GM's head on a consistent basis the collective you question stands as it did not fit my previous takes. Consequently, I qualified his statement by asking if he was using the collective you. :tiphat:

ChampionTexan
03-01-2009, 04:42 PM
I would tend to believe that the only 3rd QB on the team would be sitting on the Practice squad this year. We have too many other primary needs to waste an active roster spot.

Yep - if it's not Brink on the PS, it will be some other QB, and that guy becomes our #3 QB.

The trade of Sage was a positive. Not a huge one, but a positive for no other reason than the chances of him leaving after the 2009 season were close to 100%. If trading Sage means we end up using 3 roster spots for QB's rather than 2, then I believe that small positive becomes a small negative.

Fox
03-01-2009, 04:43 PM
Here's an SI draft profile for Orlovsky for those of you like me who don't remember him all that well from college:

BIO: Passing numbers included 63 percent/3,354/23/15 as a senior after 62.5 percent/3,485/33/14 the prior year. Totaled seven 300-yards games the past two seasons.

POSITIVES: Well-sized pocket passer with a big arm and solid intangibles. Sets up with solid footwork, displays good pocket stature and patiently waits for receivers to come open. Sells the ball fakes, possesses a quick release and zips the outs. Leads wideouts or hits them in stride over the middle and displays solid timing on the outs. Goes to the safety outlet if nothing is available downfield. Commands the offense and does not make poor choices. Senses the rush, stepping up to avoid defenders. Powers the ball over the middle and places it where only his receivers can make the reception.

NEGATIVES: Slow setting up in the pocket. Steps out of throws, which adversely affects his accuracy. Directs his passes and gets wild at times. Not always poised under pressure. Gathers before releasing the ball. Must improve his downfield accuracy. Performed poorly at the Senior Bowl and was worse at the Combine.

ANALYSIS: Productive throughout his college career, Orlovsky possesses the size, arm strength, and intangibles to develop into a starting quarterback at the next level. Needs to brush up the fundamentals and quickly get his game back on track. A solid late-round pick who can develop on a practice squad or in NFL Europe.

PROJECTION: Late Fifth Round

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2005/draft/players/57595.html

barrett
03-01-2009, 04:45 PM
this is fun!

I think Spec's response in question to you was a collective you. I don't think he meant that Kaiser was calling for their heads.

Kaiser Toro
03-01-2009, 04:50 PM
POSITIVES: Well-sized pocket passer with a big arm and solid intangibles. Sets up with solid footwork, displays good pocket stature and patiently waits for receivers to come open. Sells the ball fakes, possesses a quick release and zips the outs. Leads wideouts or hits them in stride over the middle and displays solid timing on the outs. Goes to the safety outlet if nothing is available downfield. Commands the offense and does not make poor choices. Senses the rush, stepping up to avoid defenders. Powers the ball over the middle and places it where only his receivers can make the reception.

NEGATIVES: Slow setting up in the pocket. Steps out of throws, which adversely affects his accuracy. Directs his passes and gets wild at times. Not always poised under pressure. Gathers before releasing the ball. Must improve his downfield accuracy. Performed poorly at the Senior Bowl and was worse at the Combine.

ANALYSIS: Productive throughout his college career, Orlovsky possesses the size, arm strength, and intangibles to develop into a starting quarterback at the next level. Needs to brush up the fundamentals and quickly get his game back on track. A solid late-round pick who can develop on a practice squad or in NFL Europe.

That was a great analysis, especially "goes to the safety outlet if nothing is available downfield." :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aifulCRgQEw

Fox
03-01-2009, 05:00 PM
That was a great analysis, especially "goes to the safety outlet if nothing is available downfield." :cool:

I have a feeling we'll be hearing a lot of these gems, hopefully mostly in the preseason... ;)

CloakNNNdagger
03-01-2009, 05:08 PM
Since I have not called for the coaches and GM's head on a consistent basis the collective you question stands as it did not fit my previous takes. Consequently, I qualified his statement by asking if he was using the collective you. :tiphat:

Your question to Specnatz was certainly appropriate. If he was responding to your singular post (without taking into consideration your past approach to coaches and GM's) , the "you" would have been directed to you. If, on the other hand, he was considering your past patterns of thought, then, the "you"
was meant to be collective. Only Specnatz can truly clarify what he meant. Either way, the statement seemed more in the spirit of debate rather than
call out.

CloakNNNdagger
03-01-2009, 05:13 PM

........and he has had 3 years to work on his negatives. With Kubiak's coaching, his negatives will hopefully continue to be minimized.

Specnatz
03-01-2009, 05:18 PM

Wouldn't have been simpler to ask if I was saying that you wanted the coach fired?

Which the answer would have been yes. I got you and someone else mixed up is all, it happens when trying to recall all the threads after the season and who was on the Fire Kubiak train and who was not.

:thinking:

TexansSeminole
03-01-2009, 05:24 PM
If you can't measure it, you can't manage it. Historicals are the baseline for business. You are out of your element if you do not that get that.

This is the NFL. This is not a timber business.

Every player is different. You can't write off signing bigger name free agents because others haven't worked out in the past. They are completely independent of each other. What happened with Weaver shouldn't even be analyzed when looking at another free agent DE, except in understanding that you sign players that fit your system.

What historicals are you speaking of? Past free agent signings? I don't see what they have to do with this year's crop of free agents. They are completely independent of each other. What do these historicals have to do with singing free agents this year?

If your around long enough as a franchise you will miss at every position in FA. That doesn't mean you write off looking for those positions in higher priced future free agents.

What I am saying is not what you said above. The market, needs, resources available, etc, are all factors to determine once in acquiring mode. Every year is different, however, the folks pulling the strings for the Texans are not.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying then. You've listed factors to consider when looking to add players, and then you state that the guys making the decisions for the Texans are the same guys as last year.

Your original statement when asked what you would do:Build through the draft, re-sign our players, bring in journeyman at minimum cost and instill competition. That is what I would do, not go to the FA well that has killed this team time and time again.

Maybe I am slow, but I don't understand what your saying.

He has historically gone with two QBs. What makes you believe that he will change that philosophy? With the amount of money being paid to the QB position, I sure as heck hope he does not change the philosophy.

We knew that Sage could come in and run the offense effectively, atleast part of the time. With Orlovsky and Brink, we don't know what we are getting. We have no idea how they will do in our system. Quarterback is an important position and I do not think that using a roster spot on a third quarterback is wasting the roster spot if the guy you have at #2 is unproven.

It may be that Brink understands our offense better and therefore is more effective, however if given time to learn the system Orlovsky would be more effective. That's why you let them compete. I'd use two roster spots to make sure I have the right backup QB when my starter has a tendency to get injured anyday. You simply cannot win with an ineffective quarterback.

Mailman
03-01-2009, 05:25 PM
"I think the big reason here is just coach Kubiak," Orlovsky said. "Spending time with him and coach Shanahan, sitting down with them and really getting to know them, not only as football coaches but as people, what they preached and what they believed in, was important to me.

"Im not stupid; I know no team is just going to say, Hey, youre our starting quarterback.' So why here? I feel comfortable. I feel that coach Kubiak is a coach that can push me, and Im excited to learn under him and just get better."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6288399.html

J-Russ
03-01-2009, 05:36 PM
Awesome. This was the guy I wanted after he burned Faggins in that one big play last season. He's only 25 so he has room to grow, and was already in the process of improving a good amount towards the end of last year on that abysmal Lions team. Now under Kubiak, supposedly a QB guru, he can develop his game even more.

The best thing about him being young is that we can build up his value and trade him in 2 or 3 years for something similar to what Rosenfels went for. If we're lucky, maybe he can go for what Rosenfels was suppose to go for pre-Rosencopter incident.

Fox
03-01-2009, 05:55 PM
I've gotta believe that these young QB's who have had a tough first couple years in the league look at Houston very favorably as a place to get their careers turned around. Not only is Kubiak a guy with a track record for QB's, but we have plenty of weapons to help them along and a system that allows them to produce.

Blake
03-01-2009, 06:13 PM
We are only going to carry 2 QB's on the roster and Brink will not be one of them. Dan came in for backup money to be the backup QB and hopes that Schaub will continue his trend of missing X amount of games each year.

I dont have a problem with the money he got. They got the guy they wanted and trust to run our offense if Schaub goes down and 3 mill a year seems like a good deal for us.

If we want to talk about cap money misuse we can look at Smith. We overpaid to get him here and make sure he doesnt even visit the other team. We didnt want a bidding war, or to have to fight with another org to sign him. But I also hear that he is a high motor guy who can hold his ground with his Weaver size and can get to the QB as well.

Texanmike02
03-01-2009, 06:29 PM
Here's an SI draft profile for Orlovsky for those of you like me who don't remember him all that well from college:

BIO: Passing numbers included 63 percent/3,354/23/15 as a senior after 62.5 percent/3,485/33/14 the prior year. Totaled seven 300-yards games the past two seasons.

POSITIVES: Well-sized pocket passer with a big arm and solid intangibles. Sets up with solid footwork, displays good pocket stature and patiently waits for receivers to come open. Sells the ball fakes possesses a quick release and zips the outs. Leads wideouts or hits them in stride over the middle and displays solid timing on the outs. Goes to the safety outlet if nothing is available downfield. Commands the offense and does not make poor choices. Senses the rush, stepping up to avoid defenders. Powers the ball over the middle and places it where only his receivers can make the reception.

I'm kind of neutral on this signing. I like the signing because its for a backup. I don't think he had the talent around him to succeed because Det basically has one talented NFL player on their squad and that is CJ.

At the same time, I despise reviews like the one posted. How can you write "Leads his receivers and hits them in stride" in the same review that you write "steps out of throws which adversely effects his accuracy"? I don't know how you're leading your receiver or hitting them in stride if you're not accurate.

Mike

OzzO
03-01-2009, 06:31 PM

Not all end zones result in 2... tit for tat. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQv3eVg4cIg&feature=related

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6288399.html

Ah, but later in that article...
The Lions wanted Orlovsky to return to back up Daunte Culpepper, but he told them he wanted to play for a team that gave him a chance to compete for the starting job.

forsee "start ORLY" threads in the immediate future? I think Super Mario hit it on the head above that Dan is just waiting what so far has been the inevitable with Schaub to date...

Lucky
03-01-2009, 06:54 PM
Orlovsky for 3m per? Wow! I would have rather kept Sage and given back the draft pick.
I think it was time for Sage to go for Sage's sake. Keeping Rosenfels from another shot at a starting gig would have turned a good soldier into a sourpuss.

I don't get the Orlovsky choice or the $$$ involved. But, I'm more inclined to give Kubiak a longer leash on decisions concerning QB than other positions. Will Orlovsky and the 4th round pick help the Texans win more games in 2009 than Rosenfels could have? Probably not. But, it's good that a coach on the hot seat still has the courage to look out for the franchise's long-term interests.

I understand your disappointment regarding the Antonio Smith signing. On the one hand, I don't think Kubiak and Smith should have the green light on a signing this large. If the Texans don't win next year, and Smith doesn't produce, the next head coach and GM will have to deal with this albatross. Just as Kubiak and Smith had the burden of Casserly and Caper's blunders.

On the other hand, I want this team to win next year. I think that once over the hump, the winning seasons will come easier. If Kubiak and his braintrust believe Antonio Smith is going to help make that happen....so be it. This is their shot, let them take it.

I'm not sure how Specnatz got you (as in Kaiser Toro) confused with me (as in Lucky, the one who wanted Kubiak canned). Your posts are eloquent and insightful. Mine are brutal and blunt. My guess is that anyone who dares to question the wisdom Smithiak will see his share of spitballs.

BTW, if you want to see some scathing criticism, watch these guys tear apart my post-combine Texans mock (due late tonight).

rockabilly
03-01-2009, 07:03 PM
At first I must say that I was kind of worried about this signing. However after looking back to the past, I remember having the same feeling when we signed Rosenfails.

I think Orlovsky will have a more productive career here in Houston with Kubiak and a better offensive system.

For those that keep bringing up the infamous safety....I would take that safety any day over three turnovers in the last 5 minutes of the game (ala Sage Colts).

I will say the fact that Kaiser doesn't like it make me hesitant as he has a good eye for these things.

Kaiser Toro
03-01-2009, 07:16 PM
BTW, if you want to see some scathing criticism, watch these guys tear apart my post-combine Texans mock (due late tonight).

Sweet! We are in a need of a good burning. Do you mind if I chuck a few stones as well?

Specnatz
03-01-2009, 07:17 PM
I understand your disappointment regarding the Antonio Smith signing. On the one hand, I don't think Kubiak and Smith should have the green light on a signing this large. If the Texans don't win next year, and Smith doesn't produce, the next head coach and GM will have to deal with this albatross. Just as Kubiak and Smith had the burden of Casserly and Caper's blunders.

I'm not sure how Specnatz got you (as in Kaiser Toro) confused with me (as in Lucky, the one who wanted Kubiak canned). Your posts are eloquent and insightful. Mine are brutal and blunt. My guess is that anyone who dares to question the wisdom Smithiak will see his share of spitballs.

The contract has $12.5 Mil guaranteed and it is heavily front loaded if what has been posted here is correct. So if he does not workout he can be cut after the second year with out much penalty, meaning dead money.

To be completely honest I did not confuse him with you. It was Herv whom I got him confused with.

Kaiser Toro
03-01-2009, 07:23 PM
At first I must say that I was kind of worried about this signing. However after looking back to the past, I remember having the same feeling when we signed Rosenfails.

I think Orlovsky will have a more productive career here in Houston with Kubiak and a better offensive system.

For those that keep bringing up the infamous safety....I would take that safety any day over three turnovers in the last 5 minutes of the game (ala Sage Colts).

I will say the fact that Kaiser doesn't like it make me hesitant as he has a good eye for these things.

To be perfectly honest I just hope Orlovsky competes for the back up position. If he wins it then his position carries some weight. Kubiak knows how to develop QBs, but does he have an eye for them remains to be seen, ie the Carr debacle (granted there were other variables in that shat storm)

The Smith contract still does not sit well with me and the Orlovsky beatings will begin at the office tomorrow. I am sure when I get in I will have this jersey hanging around my desk with a Texan jersey.

http://eppsnet.com/images/owen-16.jpg

Mailman
03-01-2009, 07:29 PM
KT you should go check out some Orlovsky video on NFL.com

http://replay-re-cutter.nfl.com/medialist.aspx?sort=uploaddate&collid=11

Click the link above, then launch the Detroit Lions recutter. Check out the Orlovsky plays from weeks 7, 8, 9, and 15. The guy can play.

Yes, it helps that he has a jawdropper wideout to throw it to, but Andre Johnson's no slouch, either.

dalemurphy
03-01-2009, 07:30 PM
To be perfectly honest I just hope Orlovsky competes for the back up position. If he wins it then his position carries some weight. Kubiak knows how to develop QBs, but does he have an eye for them remains to be seen, ie the Carr debacle (granted there were other variables in that shat storm)

The Smith contract still does not sit well with me and the Orlovsky beatings will begin at the office tomorrow. I am sure when I get in I will have this jersey hanging around my desk with a Texan jersey.

http://eppsnet.com/images/owen-16.jpg

I'd say he's got a pretty good resume' so far: Schaub, Rosenfels

GP
03-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Wouldn't have been simpler to ask if I was saying that you wanted the coach fired?

Which the answer would have been yes. I got you and someone else mixed up is all, it happens when trying to recall all the threads after the season and who was on the Fire Kubiak train and who was not.

:thinking:

I was firmly on the Fire Kubiak train back in week 6 or so. My seat was booked on PriceLine.com, and I cancelled somewhere around the Packers game. That game was a turning point. I was sure that Matt was going to get hurt or have a bad game in icy Lambeau, and it would spiral down from there.

Well, what a surprise. And on top of it, I think Smithiak have done the best job this offseason that's been done in any offseason. Hands down. There's too many respectable moves to mention, IMO. And they all address positions that needed to be addressed.

We didn't "reach" (more like PANIC, would be a better word) on a free agent defensive back. We bolstered the DL, tagged Dunta for a last hurrah season, sent Sage and got a 4th for him, signed a younger backup who has upside, will probably NOT overpay and match Anderson's offer sheet, and still might have a shot at a quality RB in Derrick Ward. Then comes the draft. Well, I ended up mentioning the moves didn't I?

I've gone from calling for Kubiak's head to thinking he's done a great job.

My only problem is that I wonder how much of all this strategery is really Rick Smith? I think he's most of it. Just my .02

TEXANRED
03-01-2009, 07:37 PM
I like this signing a lot more than if we would of signed Ramsey.

O'Boy passed for 1600 yards in seven starts with no run support, no receivers, no TE, and no coaching. He is about to be 26 and has the size and strength of a next level QB. We will see.

If Kubiak can make Sage, the career backup, and Schaub, another backup, respectable I expect he can do the same for Oman.

Texanmike02
03-01-2009, 07:39 PM
But, it's good that a coach on the hot seat still has the courage to look out for the franchise's long-term interests.

Huh? Was I the only one that was like hot seat? Kubiak?

I think that if the season starts terribly like last season, that you might find him on the hot seat but I think expectations are high for next season. I think the way we closed out the year was crucial. I definitely don't see Kubes as someone who is in danger of losing his job midseason. That would take a Capers-esque melt down to occur.

Mike

Mailman
03-01-2009, 07:39 PM
Here's some Orlovsky video...makes you realize how good Megatron is.

http://replay-re-cutter.nfl.com/clip.aspx?key=2C00A0B41B8F42D2

Kaiser Toro
03-01-2009, 07:40 PM
KT you should go check out some Orlovsky video on NFL.com

http://replay-re-cutter.nfl.com/medialist.aspx?sort=uploaddate&collid=11

Click the link above, then launch the Detroit Lions recutter. Check out the Orlovsky plays from weeks 7, 8, 9, and 15. The guy can play.

Yes, it helps that he has a jawdropper wideout to throw it to, but Andre Johnson's no slouch, either.

I watched a few more Lions games than I cared to last year and have a good idea of what we are getting. I am not bent out of shape on the signing, just scratching my head, in tandem, with the recency of the Smith signing and the dollars thrown around. We did not break the bank, just feel we were to quick sign and spent a little more than we should have.

I am a Schaub guy and Orlovsky is the back up. I just hope that Orlovsky competes for the job and earns it, so that when our historically banged up starter goes down, he is ready. Having a 3m back up, normally would suggest that it is his job right out of the gate.

Texanmike02
03-01-2009, 07:44 PM
I was firmly on the Fire Kubiak train back in week 6 or so. My seat was booked on PriceLine.com, and I cancelled somewhere around the Packers game. That game was a turning point. I was sure that Matt was going to get hurt or have a bad game in icy Lambeau, and it would spiral down from there.

Well, what a surprise. And on top of it, I think Smithiak have done the best job this offseason that's been done in any offseason. Hands down. There's too many respectable moves to mention, IMO. And they all address positions that needed to be addressed.

We didn't "reach" (more like PANIC, would be a better word) on a free agent defensive back. We bolstered the DL, tagged Dunta for a last hurrah season, sent Sage and got a 4th for him, signed a younger backup who has upside, will probably NOT overpay and match Anderson's offer sheet, and still might have a shot at a quality RB in Derrick Ward. Then comes the draft. Well, I ended up mentioning the moves didn't I?

I've gone from calling for Kubiak's head to thinking he's done a great job.

My only problem is that I wonder how much of all this strategery is really Rick Smith? I think he's most of it. Just my .02

Honestly, I think its up to smith to do this. If the personnel suck... get rid of the GM. If the x's and o's suck, get rid of the coach. The coach will most likely be replaced anyways if the GM is replaced. I think we're definitely headed in the right direction though. Every time I check, we're adding pieces at a place of need. I have to wait till TC to say for sure, but I might actually EXPECT 10 wins this year. If this franchise wins 10 Kubes and Smith are both safe IMHO.

Mike

The1ApplePie
03-01-2009, 07:47 PM
Orlovsky is one of those "I want to be a starter!" guys. I wonder if he will at least get a shot to compete for starting time.

Texanmike02
03-01-2009, 07:53 PM
Here's some Orlovsky video...makes you realize how good Megatron is.

http://replay-re-cutter.nfl.com/clip.aspx?key=2C00A0B41B8F42D2

After watching that, if he's not mistake prone, he will be better than sage. He has at least as much physical ability, IMHO. Same kind of throws though which worries me. I've said all along, that Sage was "accurate" but not precise. He got the ball there with accuracy but didn't put it precisely where it needed to go to be a big play. Same thing with Dano in my opinion. Although slants and flats he is dead on there. Man that last slant he threw was amazing. He's more athletic then I thought.. kind of a poor man's (insert any west coast offense star qb here).

As a backup, he'll suffice.

Mike

Specnatz
03-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Orlovsky is one of those "I want to be a starter!" guys. I wonder if he will at least get a shot to compete for starting time.

:scarygirl: :gun:

The1ApplePie
03-01-2009, 07:55 PM
:scarygirl: :gun:

Well, if Cutler or Sanchez don't take the starting job...:smiliedance:

beerlover
03-01-2009, 07:56 PM

Any QB worth his salt should "want to be a starter" & compete in practice for opportunity to knock :texflag:

The1ApplePie
03-01-2009, 08:02 PM
Any QB worth his salt should "want to be a starter" & compete in practice for opportunity to knock :texflag:

Well there is "I want to start" and there is "I want to start". Not sure which applies

ChampionTexan
03-01-2009, 08:04 PM
Well there is "I want to start" and there is "I want to start". Not sure which applies

I think the second one! :)

imatexan
03-01-2009, 08:09 PM
We have a real winner! I mean he did start 7 of the games and lost every one of them for the 0-16 lions!

I REALLY hope he proves me wrong, but why why why this guy over Sage or anyone!

mattieuk
03-01-2009, 08:12 PM

As long as his "I want to start" attitude is based in training, and not on a ambitious look at me-turned wrong play which damages the team I'm happy.

I'm liking this move. Isn't stupid money, and he's competent from what I saw of him last year. We need to be making sure we've got someone who can at least come in and steady the ship when/if Matt goes down, and I think Orlovsky will fit the bill well.

This offseason continues to make me happy.

GP
03-01-2009, 08:20 PM
We have a real winner! I mean he did start 7 of the games and lost every one of them for the 0-16 lions!

I REALLY hope he proves me wrong, but why why why this guy over Sage or anyone!

We got a 4th for Sage. Sage wanted out last off-season in 2008. Keeping him here for 2009 would have been foolish.

It was time. This move was about solidifying Matt as the unquestionable starter, which is the right move.

Orly is a good choice, IMO. I bet he's more than happy to be HERE!

TexansSeminole
03-01-2009, 08:27 PM
KT, I still don't understand your point about not going into the pool of free agents because we've been unsuccessful with a few signings in the past.

When you get a chance to explain it, I would be interested in hearing it.

phantom17
03-01-2009, 08:35 PM
We got a 4th for Sage. Sage wanted out last off-season in 2008. Keeping him here for 2009 would have been foolish.

It was time. This move was about solidifying Matt as the unquestionable starter, which is the right move.

Agreed! We would have lost Sage anyway without anything in return!

PHAROAH
03-01-2009, 09:02 PM
I love the move the texans are doing a great job so far.

imatexan
03-01-2009, 09:20 PM

Of course he is more than happy to be here, the guy came from the 0-16 Lions!

The Pencil Neck
03-01-2009, 09:22 PM
I watched a few more Lions games than I cared to last year and have a good idea of what we are getting. I am not bent out of shape on the signing, just scratching my head, in tandem, with the recency of the Smith signing and the dollars thrown around. We did not break the bank, just feel we were to quick sign and spent a little more than we should have.

I think you've just been hurt so many times that you've gotten gunshy.

If you wait in this part of FA, then you're just left with the dregs. And then everyone on this board is complaining that we waited too long and didn't go after the right guys.

You don't like that we're throwing all this money around but the alternative is to have a bunch of unused space on the cap. OR to use that money by overpaying for the dregs later on.

The FO has identified some guys that they want and they're going out and getting them. I'm fine with that as long as they're right. And I'm more than willing to give them the chance to prove themselves.

GP
03-01-2009, 09:35 PM
I think you've just been hurt so many times that you've gotten gunshy.

If you wait in this part of FA, then you're just left with the dregs. And then everyone on this board is complaining that we waited too long and didn't go after the right guys.

You don't like that we're throwing all this money around but the alternative is to have a bunch of unused space on the cap. OR to use that money by overpaying for the dregs later on.

The FO has identified some guys that they want and they're going out and getting them. I'm fine with that as long as they're right. And I'm more than willing to give them the chance to prove themselves.

That's what's happened to us in the past.

We're doing great. This off-season has had a wealth of quality free agents, IMO. And we're not sitting on our hands like we have in the past.

keyser
03-01-2009, 10:18 PM
Don Banks of SI isn't too impressed (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/02/27/signings/index.html?bcnn=yes) with the signing:

Orlovsky deal astounds

Maybe the most astounding contract I've seen handed out so far in free agency is not the Albert Haynesworth deal in Washington, it's the Dan Orlovsky signing in Houston. The Texans reportedly gave the ex-Lions quarterback a three-year deal worth $9.15 million, including a $2.4 million signing bonus, to take over the backup spot that was vacated by the trade of Sage Rosenfels to Minnesota.

Are you kidding me? More than $3 million per year for the guy who forgot that NFL end zones are only 10 yards deep? (Okay, that's a cheap shot, but tell me you weren't going to say it if I didn't?) Denver was reportedly interested in Orlovsky, but were the Broncos interested in him at anywhere near that price, or did the Texans in essence bid almost against themselves?

With Chris Simms still out there, with Byron Leftwich, Jeff Garcia, Rex Grossman, and J.P. Losman all still available, the Texans made Orlovsky their priority after getting a free-agent visit from Patrick Ramsey on Friday? I just don't get it. The guy went 0-7 as the Lions starter, and probably cost them the game they had the best shot of winning all season, that 12-10 loss at Minnesota when he ran out of bounds for a safety.

Jackie Chiles
03-01-2009, 10:31 PM
Don Banks of SI isn't too impressed (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/02/27/signings/index.html?bcnn=yes) with the signing:

Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill. Comparing 41 mil in guarantees to 2.4. Wow.

Specnatz
03-01-2009, 10:42 PM

Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill. Comparing 41 mil in guarantees to 2.4. Wow.

I guess he is another fool who does not watch as much football as most of us. Indy game where Indy had to come from behind.

Hooston Texan
03-01-2009, 11:25 PM
Perhaps we should start a thread titled "Dan Orlovsky once inadvertantly ran out of his own endzone" and dump all comments, jokes, and articles based on that one play into it. Geez, you would have thought that Orlovsky shot the president for all the flack he's taken from chatterers like Don Banks. The guy made a bone-headed play in his first ever NFL start, and folks are treating him like his permanent place should be on the short bus rather than an NFL roster.

GP
03-01-2009, 11:26 PM

Thanks for sharing that excerpt.

That guy who wrote it is dumb. And I'm not being a homer on this one.

He went 0-7 because of an incredibly inept coaching staff and a front office who crapped out on several drafts and free agent moves over a period of about 8 years. No QB can rescue a team from that. None.

He lists QBs that I, as a Texans fan, am pretty sure would not be on any of our wish lists. Simms has done what? Nothing. If you can't make it in Tampa Bay, then something's wrong. Losman? If you can't beat out another no-name in Buffalo, then something's wrong. Garcia? He had one miracle half-season in Philadelphia and then proceeded to flop in Tampa Bay.

So we should have taken Ramsey? Not with his elbow problems. And not with his failure to stick with several teams over the past few seasons.

I watched Orlovsky place passes right into the Lions WRs' hands and have them dropped when the Lions played in Reliant last season. The commentators were disgusted with how much the WRs were failing to capitalize on what was actually a pretty good effort by Dan. Things starting clicking in the second half, though. We had to hang onto it to win it. The team had responded and was beginning to find a rhythm.

Sometimes, a writer takes the easy way out and does a "hater" piece on a player because it makes the writer look witty. Some people should leave the comedy to Bill Simmons. This is one of those times.

Norg
03-01-2009, 11:59 PM
u know we should of just took our chances with Craig Nall and not even have to worry about getting a QB in the draft or FA

The Pencil Neck
03-02-2009, 12:53 AM
u know we should of just took our chances with Craig Nall and not even have to worry about getting a QB in the draft or FA

Hi, Craig.

Uh... no. Nall isn't good enough. Orlovsky is a serious upgrade over Nall.

AnthonyE
03-02-2009, 02:17 AM
I thought he looked good throughout the season. I'm totally liking this pick up. I think he's up to par with Sage and still has plenty of room to improve, especially with our coaching staff.

barrett
03-02-2009, 05:11 PM
After watching the press conference yesterday and listening to him on 610 today I really like his attitude. He seems like a really balanced guy. His physical skills are good. Remains to be seen how his mental aspects are as far as reading D's and making decisions etc. But with Kubiak's help he has a real chance to develop. But overall, he seems like a Texans kind of guy. I'm sold thus far.

Go Texans.

Ole Miss Texan
03-02-2009, 05:18 PM
I have no idea why Calvin Johnson is still a wide out on that team. The guy was the #2 pick in the draft and supposed to be really good. If he was a true leader and a great WR, he would have at least helped his team to 1 victory. No matter how bad the rest of the team is around him, he didn't help them win a single game so he sucks and should just be outcasted from football all together.

Boo Calvin Johnson. Cut him Detroit. Calvin wouldn't even make it on our team. We have no place for a back up anything that can't contribute to at least 1 friggin win during the entire season!!

:dangit:

TexanSam
03-02-2009, 05:25 PM

Peter King wasn't too thrilled either.

The Houston Texans signed Dan Orlovsky for $9.15 million over three years. Stunning. They really think of Orlovsky as a solid backup quarterback? On what planet?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/03/01/freeagency/3.html

axman40
03-02-2009, 06:04 PM
You say Orlovsky, I say Super Bowl!
:texflag:

Ole Miss Texan
03-02-2009, 06:33 PM
Orlovsky Reddinbocker anybody? :popcorn:

Thorn
03-02-2009, 06:39 PM
Orlovsky Reddinbocker anybody? :popcorn:

Orlovsky does sound like some sort of helicopter. :thinking:

OH NO! What have we done????!!!!! :eek:

Ole Miss Texan
03-02-2009, 06:41 PM
Orlovsky does sound like some sort of helicopter. :thinking:

OH NO! What have we done????!!!!! :eek:

He can fly over Colt defenders better. Clear for take off.

The Pencil Neck
03-02-2009, 06:57 PM
He can fly over Colt defenders better. Clear for take off.

As long as the copter he's doing isn't of the Rosen variety.

Ole Miss Texan
03-02-2009, 07:09 PM
Hehe this is great. I bet Schaub is sitting on here right now, reading and thinking "thank god i'm not some sorta helicopter."

SICLICK
03-02-2009, 11:36 PM
This is a bad pickup anyway you slice it.

Schaub WILL get hurt and Orlovsky WILL have to play.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

mexican_texan
03-03-2009, 01:41 AM
Peter King wasn't too thrilled either.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/03/01/freeagency/3.html
He also said the Seahawks wouldn't get the 'Zadeh.

Orlovsky is a good QB. Forget him running out of the end zone, what kind of coach would send a QB in his first start on a rollout on Jared Allen's side? Go to NFL.com and look at Detroit highlights, otherwise known as Orlovsky and Calvin Johnson highlights. He makes good throws, his arm is good enough, and I like his decision making better than Rosenfels. He also seems to go through his progressions much better than Schaub. It's easy to punk on a guy who came from an 0-16 team, but they wouldn't have been competitive if it weren't for Orlovsky. To be honest, the 0-16 Lions beat the 2-14 Texans. Orlovsky to Johnson would easily cream the secondary.

mexican_texan
03-03-2009, 01:46 AM
Losman? If you can't beat out another no-name in Buffalo, then something's wrong. Garcia? He had one miracle half-season in Philadelphia and then proceeded to flop in Tampa Bay.

So we should have taken Ramsey? Not with his elbow problems. And not with his failure to stick with several teams over the past few seasons.

I watched Orlovsky place passes right into the Lions WRs' hands and have them dropped when the Lions played in Reliant last season. The commentators were disgusted with how much the WRs were failing to capitalize on what was actually a pretty good effort by Dan. Things starting clicking in the second half, though. We had to hang onto it to win it. The team had responded and was beginning to find a rhythm.

Sometimes, a writer takes the easy way out and does a "hater" piece on a player because it makes the writer look witty. Some people should leave the comedy to Bill Simmons. This is one of those times.
Trent Edwards, the guy you call a no-name, is a pretty good QB. What does being in Tampa Bay say about a QB? It's not like their offense was any good.

Orlovsky, as I've been saying, was the bright spot of the 0-16 season. He got better as the season went on, despite having an offensive coordinator who made Chris Palmer look competent.

Jackie Chiles
03-03-2009, 01:49 AM
Anyone have the contract details from the Ryan Fitzpatrick signing? I can't find them anywhere.

False Start
03-03-2009, 12:09 PM
I remember when we signed Sage, a lot of people were upset and wondering what the hell. He turned out to be capable backup and barring the "Rosencopter" fiasco he did a good job as a OB. Maybe Orlovsky will turn out to be a Sage type of player. I could live with that. From all the interviews Ive seen and heard of him he seems eager to learn and grow as a OB, I like that. His running out of the back of the endzone was his Rosencopter moment. Hopefully, that will be the down moment of his career and he will get better.

TexansSeminole
03-03-2009, 12:13 PM
I remember when we signed Sage, a lot of people were upset and wondering what the hell. He turned out to be capable backup and barring the "Rosencopter" fiasco he did a good job as a OB. Maybe Orlovsky will turn out to be a Sage type of player. I could live with that. From all the interviews Ive seen and heard of him he seems eager to learn and grow as a OB, I like that. His running out of the back of the endzone was his Rosencopter moment. Hopefully, that will be the down moment of his career and he will get better.

I don't think Orlovsky had a Rosencopter moment. Orlovsky's mistake was much smaller.

Sage didn't just lose two points for his team. He lost 7 and then came back and fumbled again to lose more points. Sage was 99% of the reason we lost the game.

False Start
03-03-2009, 12:43 PM
I don't think Orlovsky had a Rosencopter moment. Orlovsky's mistake was much smaller.

Sage didn't just lose two points for his team. He lost 7 and then came back and fumbled again to lose more points. Sage was 99% of the reason we lost the game.

Yeah, thats true. I was trying to connect the everyone makes mistakes saying, but yeah Rosencopter was far worse.

Texans_Chick
03-03-2009, 01:02 PM
The point has already been made that Orlovsky's numbers look similar to Rosenfels' when he first came to the Texans.

But what is more interesting to me is how freaky similar Orlovsky's numbers are to a pre-Texans Schaub.

Matt Schaub and Dan Orlovsky: Separated at birth? (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2009/03/matt_schaub_and_ken_orlovsky_s.html)

So, you can look at Orlovsky's salary numbers as big, or you can look at his numbers as small compared to Schaub's. And not having to give up draft picks to get him.

And, if Schaub keeps on progressing and doesn't get any more $50,000 cheap shots into the knees, his contract won't look too bad either.

What you are paying for in Orlovsky's contract is some flexibility. You can keep him, trade him after you fix him up a bit, or have a potential replacement in the wings if Schaub gets busted up.

What is another point I find interesting about this is that Kubiak is a guy that offensive players have repeatedly said they want to play for. (and defensive guys for that matter). With Smith's signing, it is the first time I can ever recall someone saying that they wanted to play for the Texans DEFENSIVE coordinator.

Do you ever recall anyone ever saying, "Yeah, I signed with Houston because I couldn't wait to play for Vic Fangio/Richard Smith?"

/random observation

El Tejano
03-03-2009, 01:36 PM
Does anyone think Orlovsky will beat Ramsey out of the 2nd QB position?

TimeKiller
03-03-2009, 01:39 PM
It's easy to punk on a guy who came from an 0-16 team, but they wouldn't have been competitive if it weren't for Orlovsky. .

Pick your words man, c'mon. Competitive?

I'm not thrilled about the signing, I think I would've rather had Fitzpatrick but this is nothing to be upset over especially with the transition that Sage made under Kubiak. Honestly, I think the guy has more tools than Sage did so maybe a slight upgrade + a 4th is more than enough backup QB tweaking for one offseason.

Jackie Chiles
03-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Does anyone think Orlovsky will beat Ramsey out of the 2nd QB position?

We actually never signed Ramsey. Some of the reports made it sound beyond imminent and you are not the first person that has assumed he was a Texan.

Specnatz
03-03-2009, 02:55 PM

I'm not thrilled about the signing, I think I would've rather had Fitzpatrick but this is nothing to be upset over especially with the transition that Sage made under Kubiak. Honestly, I think the guy has more tools than Sage did so maybe a slight upgrade + a 4th is more than enough backup QB tweaking for one offseason.

Yes competitive, late in the season the Lions were up on the Packers and they had to come from behind to win. Were not saying he is Tom Brady coming in for drew Bledsoe, but he better than what some are giving him credit for because of the Lions record and one boneheaded play.

Runner
03-03-2009, 05:48 PM

You've been around here long enough to know that everyone gets better when they sign on the dotted line with this team. Then they get lambasted when they don't live up to expectations. That's what fans do - look at the strengths and ignore the weaknesses.

My favorite was Jordan "He started for a playoff team" Black. Didn't take long for everyone to claim that they knew he was really Jordan "I-65" Black and knew the Texans shouldn't have signed him.

TimeKiller
03-03-2009, 06:24 PM
Yes competitive, late in the season the Lions were up on the Packers and they had to come from behind to win. Were not saying he is Tom Brady coming in for drew Bledsoe, but he better than what some are giving him credit for because of the Lions record and one boneheaded play.

k.....how much better then? Rate Dan Orlovsky, 1-10. I give him about a 6, 6.5. I am pretty excited to see Kubiak work the magic though.

Specnatz
03-03-2009, 06:30 PM
k.....how much better then? Rate Dan Orlovsky, 1-10. I give him about a 6, 6.5. I am pretty excited to see Kubiak work the magic though.

I guess I am confused by your choice of words since you say he is around 6.5, yet you are not thrilled with the signing. What do you rate Fitzpatrick?

TimeKiller
03-03-2009, 07:09 PM
6.5 is failing to me. Fitzpatrick a 7, like a D in school.

mexican_texan
03-04-2009, 12:01 AM

The Lions were competitive. The Browns, Rams, and Chiefs were not, at least the second half of the season.

Hooston Texan
03-04-2009, 10:29 AM
The Lions were competitive. The Browns, Rams, and Chiefs were not, at least the second half of the season.

Not true about the Chiefs. Over the last 10 games of their season, they were within a score of the lead during the fourth quarter in every one of their games except two (Buffalo and Cincy). They lost by 4 to the Jets, in OT to the Bucs, two last-second comebacks against the Chargers, by 7 to both Miami and Denver, and by 10 to New Orleans and Cincy. In addition to doing something we could not: winning at Oakland.

mexican_texan
03-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Really? It's not great teams they were going against, but beating Oakland deserves mention. I rescind my statement on the Chiefs, then.

Instead, I give you this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRl0LT0i55E

mexican_texan
05-11-2009, 03:03 PM
The NFL Network is showing the Lions/Bears game.

Orlovsky is better than Rosenfels.

BigBull17
05-11-2009, 03:25 PM
The NFL Network is showing the Lions/Bears game.

Orlovsky is better than Rosenfels.

I thought Dan looked good in flashes last year. The Lions were just bad. I'm kinda yoked we picked him up to be our back-up. I was dreading Patrick Ramsey.