PDA

View Full Version : David Anderson has offer sheet (matched 3/4)

Pages : 1 [2]

76Texan
03-05-2009, 03:27 PM
I think that's the point. Name another #4 that has a contract like that.

First off, Davis only had 13 catches in 12 games last year.
Even if you prorate, that would only be 17.33 catches in 16 games.
And no TD.
Davis earned almost $4M last year, I think.

The Broncos signed Darrel Jackson last yr for $2M when they already have Marshall, Stokley, and Royal.

The Jags had 4 WRs making more than $1.8M last year.

The Lions had 3 megabuck receivers plus McDonald close to $1.7M and Stallworth at $1.4M (last yr money).

The Niners had 4 who made $2M or more.

There might be more.
And I'm sure that this year, there will be other #4 who make more than $1.5M.

I'm not even sure how many of those teams got enough production out of their #3 or #4 last year.

76Texan
03-05-2009, 03:33 PM
Also, I remember the Pats had to pay a boat load of money for their 5 receivers in 07 (not including Gafney).
They released Chad Jackson on the final cut.

Polo
03-05-2009, 03:36 PM
This has been discussed ad nauseum, but between Marshall, Royal, Gaffney, Scheffler and Stokley, it's pretty unlikely that he was going to be a bigger piece of the Denver offense than he will be in ours.

I don't know exactly what type of offense McDaniel's going to be running in Denver, but to put it in perspective, the #4 WR in the New England offense last year (which is the best Anderson could have realistically expected to nail down for the Broncos) caught a grand total of 8 passes, or less than half of Anderson's productivity with the Texans. It's also less than the 13 catches Andre Davis (The Texans #4 WR in terms of productivity) had.

So your argument is that if one team was stupid enough to overpay for limited production, we should too ?

Carr Bombed
03-05-2009, 03:43 PM
Also, I remember the Pats had to pay a boat load of money for their 5 receivers in 07 (not including Gafney).
They released Chad Jackson on the final cut.

Another Florida WR bust... I feel sorry for the person who drafts Percy Harvin.

76Texan
03-05-2009, 03:45 PM
So your argument is that if one team was stupid enough to overpay for limited production, we should too ?

Maybe it will be better if we think that the Texans are giving Anderson a $300-400K bonus for his production last year?

GP
03-05-2009, 04:06 PM
http://www.dailyanxiety.com/masters4.gif

GP you remind me of Badluck Schleprock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Luck_Schleprock) from the Pebbles and Bam Bam Show. You can find a dark cloud in every silver linking.

Denver didn't screw anyone. The Texans let Anderson find his market worth and the Texans figured it was worth market value to keep him. If Denver likes him more than that they can offer us a higher pick.

Oh, Vinny. I was just flapping my gums.

It was totally in jest, I promise. I just found it funny that Denver comes along and makes an offer, and here we are having to match it. It's like when you're playing Hold 'Em and everyone has pitched in pre-flop and the last guy goes and raises it to 4 times its value: Lots of groaning, laughing, and cards being flung onto the table by the other 7 players.

I have been a clear-cut Kool Aid drinker for the Antonio Smith signing, as well as the Orlovsky signing. I'm the most content I've ever been.

I guess I've questioned enough of this team's moves to get permanently branded? LOL. I've made it to Badluck Schleprock status...dadgum it!

Polo
03-05-2009, 04:12 PM
Maybe it will be better if we think that the Texans are giving Anderson a $300-400K bonus for his production last year?

I don't mind the Texans spending the money on him.

All I said was that we could have probably gotten close to the same production for cheaper...But I like DA and I'm glad they brought him back..

76Texan
03-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Another Florida WR bust... I feel sorry for the person who drafts Percy Harvin.

I don't watch enough of Percy to have an idea.
But the Pats seem to like collecting WR, maybe they'll go for him in the first, LOL!

Besides that big 3, the Pats didn't have anybody with more than 10 catches last year.
Another high paying guy was Kelley Washington who tallied a grand total of ONE catch in 10 games last yr and ZIL in 14 games the yr before that.
They cut him a couple of weeks ago. He made $6.4M in those 2 years.
WOW, all that production for one catch, stretching all THREE yards! :spit:

Another guy is Sam Aikens, a 6yr vet.
8 catches in 14 games last yr.
He only made $1.3M though.

76Texan
03-05-2009, 04:19 PM
I don't watch enough of Percy to have an idea.
But the Pats seem to like collecting WR, maybe they'll go for him in the first, LOL!

Besides that big 3, the Pats didn't have anybody with more than 10 catches last year.
Another high paying guy was Kelley Washington who tallied a grand total of ONE catch in 10 games last yr and ZIL in 14 games the yr before that.
They cut him a couple of weeks ago. He made $6.4M in those 2 years.
WOW, all that production for one catch, stretching all THREE yards! :spit:

Against the Chiefs, no less! :headhurts:

Polo
03-05-2009, 04:21 PM
The Patriots not having more guys touch the ball last year is more than likely due to who was playing QB.

76Texan
03-05-2009, 04:33 PM
I don't mind the Texans spending the money on him.

All I said was that we could have probably gotten close to the same production for cheaper...But I like DA and I'm glad they brought him back..I wouldn't mind them taking Bradon Godfrey from Utah.
He's a cross between Anderson and Walters (6'3 - 197 lbs).
CBS ranks him #130 on their WR's list. NFLDraftScout has him at #122
Should be a steal in the 7th as a slot receiver for our scheme.

But then again, it's always nice to go into the draft with one less worry.
The Texans can't count on my scouting skills!!! :spit:

76Texan
03-05-2009, 04:35 PM
The Patriots not having more guys touch the ball last year is more than likely due to who was playing QB.Washington had zero catch with Brady the year before!
:thinking:

TexanFan881
03-06-2009, 02:18 PM
http://jocklife.com/media-3

haha im glad we re-signed him

Polo
03-06-2009, 03:15 PM
Washington had zero catch with Brady the year before!
:thinking:

But Dante Stallworth had 46 as a third reciever. Faulk had 47, Gaffney had 36 as a fourth reciever, Watson the TE had 36, Kyle Brady had 9, Sammy Morris had 6, Maroney had 4, Heath Evans had 4, Vrabel a LB had 2, David Thomas a third TE had 1 and Kyle Eckel had 1...I would count Logan Mankins an offensive lineman but he just caught a ball..he wasn't actually thrown to...LOL

Point is, if you didn't have any receptions you probably didn't play.

76Texan
03-06-2009, 06:23 PM
But Dante Stallworth had 46 as a third reciever. Faulk had 47, Gaffney had 36 as a fourth reciever, Watson the TE had 36, Kyle Brady had 9, Sammy Morris had 6, Maroney had 4, Heath Evans had 4, Vrabel a LB had 2, David Thomas a third TE had 1 and Kyle Eckel had 1...I would count Logan Mankins an offensive lineman but he just caught a ball..he wasn't actually thrown to...LOL

Point is, if you didn't have any receptions you probably didn't play.

He was active for 14 games in 07, I said!

Maybe he dropped a few early or ran some bad routes, or didn't carry out his blocking assignment too well and landed in the dog house.
So it wasn't about who was in there at QB!

Another funny thing is why didn't they trade him away during last off-season, or just cut him. Instead, they had him active in another 10 games this yr... just for that one catch? LOL!

Texanmike02
03-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Here's my take on DA. You don't really know what he's worth.. and you don't really care to negociate with him. Let someone else do that. Let him negociate with the rest of the league because honestly, you don't see him as being worth THAT much money. Let someone else set the value for a guy who is worth more than a typical 7th rounder, but you don't really have a value for. If the market value (whatever someone is willing to pay) is higher than what you're willing to pay you let him walk. If he had come back with a tender for 2.5 instead of 4.5 you probably sign him up and you haven't had to do any down talking to him.

That's my take on it. We didn't think someone would do it and we figured we'd let someone negociate the deal for us. If they wanted to give too much, we'd let him walk and they would pay us a 7th rounder for the privilage to negociate (badly I might add).

Mike

Hmm...

Texanmike02
03-07-2009, 10:32 PM
OK. Now here's what I think about he signing. I know everyone has been waiting eagerly. LMAO:

The contract is relatively small. He is a smart receiver who has good hands. He's not the fastest guy. He's not the biggest guy, but he works hard and knows the system. The biggest bonus? He's not an ego problem. He will work hard day in and day out, and is very capable of filling in plus giving you around 20 catches a year. If someone goes down he can step in and allow all of the receivers to step up one spot in the offense and you don't worry about him too much. Did I mention he's not an ego problem? He doesn't need catches every game, he's content with what he gets. Why is 1.5m too much for that? The nominal ammount of cap space that he's overpaid for his services is certainly worth having a guy who's got several years in the system. .4 mil doesn't make a bit of difference in the salary cap situation. In the locker room however, 3 years in the system makes all the difference.

Mike

threetoedpete
03-09-2009, 02:34 AM
Well one thing about it, Mike....I bet no one else's #5 WR in the NFL could generate a 14 page comentary thread. Too funny. He could do one of those old American Express comercials...."You don't know me, But ....."

Card member since 2006.

threetoedpete
03-09-2009, 02:39 AM
Everyone wants to throw out the learning curve for a NFL wide receiver out the window. The mountain is high and the chasm very deep between college and the pros. Many are drafted but few make it to the top of the mountain....or jump across the chasm. Outside of Quarter back, wide receiver might be the the toughest learning curve of all the positions. Got one locked and loaded...better be sure before you let him go.

Maddict5
03-09-2009, 05:50 AM
Well one thing about it, Mike....I bet no one else's #5 WR in the NFL could generate a 14 page comentary thread. Too funny. He could do one of those old American Express comercials...."You don't know me, But ....."

Card member since 2006.

hes our slot wr not our #5..that would be jacoby (although he could also generate a 14 page thread for different reasons):splits: