PDA

View Full Version : Collins signs

TEXANS84
02-27-2009, 04:21 PM
Championship for the Titans.

Two Years, $15 Million for Collins
Friday, February 27, 2009
Posted By Mike Florio 4:16 PM
Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that the new contract between the Tennessee Titans and quarterback Kerry Collins has a value of $15 million over two years.

Per Mort, $8.5 million is guaranteed.

Collins reportedly wanted a deal that averaged $8 million per year. In the end, he'll get $7.5 million.

Texan_Bill
02-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Awesome for them. Sucks for us now that he's in place for the next two seasons.

Honoring Earl 34
02-27-2009, 04:37 PM
http://thejstandard.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/vince-young-hurt.jpg

MannyFresh
02-27-2009, 04:38 PM
http://thejstandard.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/vince-young-hurt.jpg

I guess Vince will be AWOL/MIA again... "calling all cars"!

Seņor Stan
02-27-2009, 04:39 PM
Collins signs for two years and VY has two years left on his contract. (5 year deal with option on 6th year)

Nice!

Fox
02-27-2009, 04:40 PM
Collins was enough for them when their defense was wrecking shop. I think they'll still have a strong D, but losing Haynesworth (and Schwartz) is going to tangibly effect them. It'll be interesting to see how Collins performs with the added pressure of having to score points to win if the rest of their D can't pick up the slack.... ;)

Double Barrel
02-27-2009, 04:47 PM
Collins signs for two years and VY has two years left on his contract. (5 year deal with option on 6th year)

Nice!

wow...I don't want to bring up the "B word", but at some point it has to be considered. Third overall pick sitting on the bench after losing the starting job to an old dude, along with his other issues, makes you wonder.

The Pencil Neck
02-27-2009, 04:55 PM
wow...I don't want to bring up the "B word", but at some point it has to be considered. Third overall pick sitting on the bench after losing the starting job to an old dude, along with his other issues, makes you wonder.

This just shows that his leadership is so strong that he can singlehandedly lead his team to the playoffs even from the bench.

That's LEADERSHIP.

Polo
02-27-2009, 05:03 PM

Hate to say it, but he should already be considered a bust.

He still could ressurect his career, but at this point he is what he is, and that is a 3rd overall pick who failed and doesn't look to be getting another chance anythime soon.

Silver Oak
02-27-2009, 06:11 PM
at this point, can he even hold onto the 3rd spot? Simms may make a good showing in TC and vince could go on a drive with his gun again.

Blazing Arrow
02-27-2009, 06:38 PM
at this point, can he even hold onto the 3rd spot? Simms may make a good showing in TC and vince could go on a drive with his gun again.

The only way I could see that happening is if we released Young and I am pretty sure Young has a no release clause in his contract.

ChampionTexan
02-27-2009, 06:57 PM
The only way I could see that happening is if we released Young and I am pretty sure Young has a no release clause in his contract.

Meaning the entire contract is guaranteed?

You're either being sarcastic, or you're full of it!

mattieuk
02-27-2009, 07:08 PM

It may have a no release clause until 'year x' (i.e. after the third season he can be released).

Anyway. Vince is not going to be feeling super smiley about this at all.

Considering the Titans have just signed Collins until the end of Vince's contract:

"Young wants trade" speculation in...3, 2, 1. I'm sure there'd still be teams willing to stick up his contract demands.

Blazing Arrow
02-27-2009, 07:14 PM

I hope I am wrong ... though I have heard it from a couple people.

Bulluck53
02-27-2009, 10:14 PM
I don't think he has a clause like that in his contract, at least not one that is still valid. The big reason is his cap hit would be huge.

b0ng
02-27-2009, 10:18 PM
I don't think he has a clause like that in his contract, at least not one that is still valid. The big reason is his cap hit would be huge.

This. Youngs cap hit this upcoming season is pretty easy to swallow (4 or 5 million I think?). I think next year is when it'll be time to either cut bait or stick with it because he's shown something you like.

Mailman
02-27-2009, 10:38 PM
I would luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuvvvv to see VY get cut. All the jackass jocksniffers in Austin would be so pissed at Fisher they'd have no choice but to jump off the bandwagon.

b0ng
02-27-2009, 10:45 PM
Wherever McCoy goes will be the next Austin bandwagon football team.

thunderkyss
02-27-2009, 11:00 PM
I don't know if we can call Vince Young a bust just yet. He's had some unfortunate circumstances, and a really strange beginning to his career.

If he were to be let go, I'm sure there would be several teams that would at least bring him in, to see if he wants to play football.

If he does in fact want to play, I'm sure he'll have a fine career.

b0ng
02-27-2009, 11:27 PM
I don't know if we can call Vince Young a bust just yet. He's had some unfortunate circumstances, and a really strange beginning to his career.

What? What kind of unfavorable circumstance is "having a defense that will propel you to the playoffs no matter how poorly you play"? Joe Flacco looked all world compared to Young with roughly the same archetype of team (Run ball, play defense, win games).

With how superbly he's obviously taken to coaching, I'm sure he'll be a great football player. . . in about 10 years, maybe.

drewmar74
02-27-2009, 11:41 PM
Well, the defense isn't going to be as good as last year....

They still haven't upgraded the WR position......

I'm thinking Kerry Collins knows something I don't otherwise he might not have re-signed

Grams
02-28-2009, 12:20 AM
Kerry Collins probably knows that nobody else wanted him and got what he could from the Titians.