PDA

View Full Version : Texans hire Bruce Matthews as assistant

Mailman
02-27-2009, 11:25 AM
How can you not love this?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6284388.html

“I can’t tell you how fired up I am about this,” Matthews said. “I love Houston, and I wanted to stay in Houston, and this gives me a chance to do that. I’ve been watching the Texans, and I think they’re on the brink of something special. I wanted to be part of it. I’m excited about where Mr. (Bob) McNair and Gary have this team headed. I want to help any way I can.”

TexansSeminole
02-27-2009, 11:26 AM
Bruce Matthews, who played 14 of his 19 seasons for the Oilers and is a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, has been hired by the Texans as an offensive assistant coach.

Matthews, who has known coach Gary Kubiak since they were teammates at the 1983 Hula Bowl, begins his coaching career at the ground level.

“We’re thrilled to have Bruce be part of our staff,” Kubiak said today. “Not only was he was one of the greatest players in history, I think the world of him as a person, too. I think it’s a great thing for the fans of this city to have one of their own be part of our organization.

“Bruce said he wanted to get into coaching and do the grunt work so he can learn from the ground level. We’ll give him a lot of things to do, including a lot of work with our running game preparations. We’re really excited about giving him this opportunity.”

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6284388.html

Nice.

Mailman
02-27-2009, 11:27 AM
Hey Bud, tell me how my azzz tastes!

CloakNNNdagger
02-27-2009, 11:27 AM
Unreal...........maybe he can produce a clone or 2!!!!!! Great move and certainly a player's coach.

El Tejano
02-27-2009, 11:28 AM
Here comes Clay 3!

Polo
Wow.

Errant Hothy
Nice, indeed.

Bruce Matthews was everything one would want in a new coach, and as an example for the young guys to follow.

El Tejano
Here comes Clay 3!

HOU-TEX
Holy cow! This is very unexpected.

Maybe he can help reel in his Nephew. :winky:

santo
02-27-2009, 11:29 AM
:smiliedance:

CloakNNNdagger
02-27-2009, 11:30 AM

Great message to Bud and his Tita*s.

GP
02-27-2009, 11:31 AM
Brings back memories.

The Bruce Is Loose!

And this could definitely mean we're drafting Clay.

DiehardChris
02-27-2009, 11:31 AM
Whoa. Unexpected, and awesome.

Mailman
02-27-2009, 11:32 AM
When it comes to credibility, winning is ultimately the only thing that matters, but I can't help but think this portends a big shift in the fortunes of the franchise. Having a former Oiler legend in the fold gives me chills.

4Texans
02-27-2009, 11:32 AM
Excellent move! What a great example Bruce is going to be for our OL.:tiphat:

With the 15th pick, the Texans select Matthews, LB out of USC.

Seor Stan
02-27-2009, 11:33 AM
“I can’t tell you how fired up I am about this,” Matthews said. “I love Houston, and I wanted to stay in Houston, and this gives me a chance to do that. I’ve been watching the Texans, and I think they’re on the brink of something special. I wanted to be part of it. I’m excited about where Mr. (Bob) McNair and Gary have this team headed. I want to help any way I can.”

Made. My. Day.

Insideop
02-27-2009, 11:33 AM
Oops, you must have beat me and TexasSeminole by a few seconds. Mods please merge or delete the other post on this.

This is great news. I wonder if this means we'll be drafting CM in the 1st rd now. :thinking:

El Tejano
02-27-2009, 11:36 AM
When it comes to credibility, winning is ultimately the only thing that matters, but I can't help but think this portends a big shift in the fortunes of the franchise. Having a former Oiler legend in the fold gives me chills.
He did make it to a super bowl though.

whiskeyrbl
I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's bring in Carl Mauck too!!!:bat:

Txn_in_FL
WOW!!!

:fans::specnatz::fans:

Insideop
02-27-2009, 11:37 AM
Unreal...........maybe he can produce a clone or 2!!!!!! Great move and certainly a player's coach.

Don't know about a clone, but he has a son that is the starting Center at A&M. I think he's a Senior this year. Not sure how good he is. He was a "walk on" at A&M.

Thorn
02-27-2009, 11:39 AM
Wow. What a nice suprise. This is just way to cool. I love it.

Honoring Earl 34
02-27-2009, 11:41 AM
Clay and Kruger, Ayers , or Gilbert ( we have lots of pools in Houston ) .

euro-Texan
02-27-2009, 11:45 AM
Since his retirement, Matthews has been helping bring up his seven children, including coaching his sons. Hes been working as an assistant videotape coordinator at Elkins High School games.

I think we are bringing him in to ensure we stop taping illegal off season workouts.

LORK 88
02-27-2009, 11:51 AM
And with the ___th pick in the NFL draft, the Houston Texans select . . . Clay Matthews, LB, USC! The connection is there, wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

Honoring Earl 34
02-27-2009, 11:52 AM
Since his retirement, Matthews has been helping bring up his seven children, including coaching his sons. Hes been working as an assistant videotape coordinator at Elkins High School games.

I think we are bringing him in to ensure we stop taping illegal off season workouts.

Yep he's going to edit the tape with this .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrkjG_Og5zQ

rarazz00
02-27-2009, 11:53 AM
This means that Alex Gibbs may be gone (wanting to retire..again)after this season..hmmm:logo:

could it be a strong push for Clay Mattews III:texflag:

Tailgate
02-27-2009, 11:56 AM
Welcome home Bruce.

Porky
02-27-2009, 12:02 PM
Awesome news! Wonder if he could be slowly groomed to be the oline coach or asst oline coach.

I loved Matthews as a player, perhaps my favorite all time Oiler, or as Bum might say if he isn't my favorite, it don't take long to call role. Fantastic human being by all accounts as well. I think he could have a lot to offer the olineman in particular, but anyone can benefit from his wisdom.

bckey
02-27-2009, 12:05 PM
Awesome! This is a really good signing. Totally caught me by suprise. Glad to have Bruce on our team. All pro and then some.

barrett
02-27-2009, 12:11 PM
This means that Alex Gibbs may be gone (wanting to retire..again)after this season..hmmm:logo:

could it be a strong push for Clay Mattews III:texflag:

It doesn't mean that at all. He's working his way up from the ground floor. In the Chron article it says he'll be working with the running backs. He has no coaching experience. John Benton is being groomed as Gibbs' successor. Mathews is a great addition to the staff for several other reasons however.

I don't think this suggests that we are getting Clay either. Isn't his dad a coach somewhere in the league? Why would he be linked to his uncle more than his father? Furthermore... What does that have to do with drafting a player?

Anyway, I like the hire alot. Bruce Mathews brings a HUGE mentor and HOF presence to the team.

False Start
02-27-2009, 12:14 PM
This rules! I loved Bruce Mathews back in the day. Good to have him on board. :jam:

TEXANS84
02-27-2009, 12:20 PM
Championship!

b0ng
02-27-2009, 12:22 PM
I know he hasn't coached on the NFL level (or any level I'm aware of) but this is outstanding. The epitome of dedication.

Honoring Earl 34
02-27-2009, 12:25 PM
Awesome news! Wonder if he could be slowly groomed to be the oline coach or asst oline coach.

I loved Matthews as a player, perhaps my favorite all time Oiler, or as Bum might say if he isn't my favorite, it don't take long to call role. Fantastic human being by all accounts as well. I think he could have a lot to offer the olineman in particular, but anyone can benefit from his wisdom.

We could reunite M&M , that would really piss Bud off .

TheRealJoker
02-27-2009, 12:26 PM
Our team just got a lot better!!!

WOOHOO!!! SCREW YOU BUD ADAMS!!!

Brando
02-27-2009, 12:26 PM
I didn't expect this but this is awesome!

badboy
02-27-2009, 12:27 PM
I can imagine a young offensive player saying "Pops, what can you tell me about the NFL?" Then he picks himself up off the ground and says "Sir, I did not know you were THAT Matthews!" Who knows, now that Ray CHildress is out of the car business...

Texan JBZ
02-27-2009, 12:28 PM
Great job Texans!

Specnatz
02-27-2009, 12:30 PM
I doubt that anyone will have a huge issue with this hire. Even some of our most negative posters will love this move.

:thisbig::specnatz::texflag::fans:

Silver Oak
02-27-2009, 12:35 PM
Even some of our most negative posters will love this move.

:thisbig::specnatz::texflag::fans:

we have those?

great job Texans! even though no coaching experience, he has loads of experience he can immediately share with and help our guys.

Goldensilence
02-27-2009, 12:52 PM
Man that is unexpected and very awesome.

This is quickly turning into my favorite off-season ever.

mussop
02-27-2009, 01:02 PM
Clay and Kruger, Ayers , or Gilbert ( we have lots of pools in Houston ) .

Funny I just cherry picked draft tecs mock and came out with this.

In the first trade down add a late 3rd early fourth

1st pick (mid 20's ) Clay Matthews OLB USC
46 Jarron Gilbert DE San Jose St or Paul Kruger DE Utah
77 Tyrone McKenzie OLB South Florida
108 Houston Shawn Nelson TE Southern Miss
118 Pat White QB West Virginia
extra pick from trade down Matt Shaughnessy DE Wisconsin
144 Sammie Lee Hill DT Stillman or Darcel McBath FS Texas Tech
175 Andy Kemp OG Wisconsin or Greg Isdaner OG West Virginia or Ray Feinga OG BYU
204 Kaluka Maiava OLB USC

Anyhow great news about Mathews. One of me all time fav Oilers. Really hope we bring in Clay JR too. You cant have enough of that family around.

Honoring Earl 34
02-27-2009, 01:06 PM
Funny I just cherry picked draft tecs mock and came out with this.

In the first trade down add a late 3rd early fourth

1st pick (mid 20's ) Clay Matthews OLB USC
46 Jarron Gilbert DE San Jose St or Paul Kruger DE Utah
77 Tyrone McKenzie OLB South Florida
108 Houston Shawn Nelson TE Southern Miss
118 Pat White QB West Virginia
extra pick from trade down Matt Shaughnessy DE Wisconsin
144 Sammie Lee Hill DT Stillman or Darcel McBath FS Texas Tech
175 Andy Kemp OG Wisconsin or Greg Isdaner OG West Virginia or Ray Feinga OG BYU
204 Kaluka Maiava OLB USC

Anyhow great news about Mathews. One of me all time fav Oilers. Really hope we bring in Clay JR too. You cant have enough of that family around.

I like playing with that Drafttek thingy . They had us taking Matt Stafford awhile back .

chicagotexan2
02-27-2009, 01:09 PM
BRUCE MATHEWS BACK IN HOUSTON. I love it and I love that he's a Houston Texan.

beerlover
02-27-2009, 01:16 PM
welcome home Mr. Matthews, this is great news :specnatz:

Texecutioner
02-27-2009, 01:18 PM
Can't wait to have you here Bruce! :fans:

Texan_Bill
02-27-2009, 01:20 PM
Awesome news!! That just made my day. :)

Shaft75
02-27-2009, 01:21 PM
I was very excited to see this thread. I met him and Mike Munchak when I was like 8 or 9 and still remember how massive they were. This is great news!

hookinreds
02-27-2009, 01:22 PM

I cant tell you how fired up I am about this, Matthews said. I love Houston, and I wanted to stay in Houston, and this gives me a chance to do that. Ive been watching the Texans, and I think theyre on the brink of something special. I wanted to be part of it. Im excited about where Mr. (Bob) McNair and Gary have this team headed. I want to help any way I can.

I just soiled myself...and in a good way!!!!

chicagotexan2
I just watched his Hall of Fame speech again.

http://www.nfl.com/players/brucematthews/profile?id=MAT532814

Double Barrel
Fantastic news! Bruce Matthews is a stand up dude, and will bring nothing but positives to this locker room, IMO.

disaacks3
02-27-2009, 01:28 PM
I can imagine a young offensive player saying "Pops, what can you tell me about the NFL?" Then he picks himself up off the ground and says "Sir, I did not know you were THAT Matthews!" Who knows, now that Ray CHildress is out of the car business... This move already exceeded my expectations, don't get me hoping for an additional miracle just yet!

:thinking::texflag:

hookinreds
02-27-2009, 01:33 PM
I can imagine a young offensive player saying "Pops, what can you tell me about the NFL?" Then he picks himself up off the ground and says "Sir, I did not know you were THAT Matthews!" Who knows, now that Ray CHildress is out of the car business...

You really want to see my "O" face?

Hardcore Texan
02-27-2009, 01:56 PM

:spit:

Silver Oak
02-27-2009, 02:01 PM
titan fans are not happy about it...as if he was ever truly theirs anyways.

http://forums.titansonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44678

Honoring Earl 34
02-27-2009, 02:12 PM

Yvette get's it .

TEXANRED
02-27-2009, 02:29 PM
:doot::wild::thisbig::specnatz::smiliedance:

TexansSeminole
02-27-2009, 02:34 PM
Really happy we got Bruce Matthews, but I will not be happy if we draft Clay Matthews in the first round.

WesmanTexanfan
02-27-2009, 02:35 PM

I cant tell you how fired up I am about this, Matthews said. I love Houston, and I wanted to stay in Houston, and this gives me a chance to do that. Ive been watching the Texans, and I think theyre on the brink of something special. I wanted to be part of it. Im excited about where Mr. (Bob) McNair and Gary have this team headed. I want to help any way I can.

great news, never saw him play live, but ive watched film and read about the guy. I also saw his hall of fame speech which was awesome!

Bulluck53
02-27-2009, 02:38 PM

We'll suffice with Munchak... :splits:

Good hire, though.

rarazz00
02-27-2009, 03:00 PM
It doesn't mean that at all. He's working his way up from the ground floor. In the Chron article it says he'll be working with the running backs. He has no coaching experience. John Benton is being groomed as Gibbs' successor. Mathews is a great addition to the staff for several other reasons however.

I don't think this suggests that we are getting Clay either. Isn't his dad a coach somewhere in the league? Why would he be linked to his uncle more than his father? Furthermore... What does that have to do with drafting a player?

Anyway, I like the hire alot. Bruce Mathews brings a HUGE mentor and HOF presence to the team.

yes I was early in saying that Gibbs may want to retire and Mathews would take his place, I read the article and your right, he's gonna be starting form bottom and working his way up...:tiphat:

Reguarding Clay...It doesn't necessarilly mean that they would go after him soley because of his uncle Bruce...He'll be drafted on his own merritt. Though we could use an OLB and it may work out that way. I said it COULD warrant a stong push, nothing definite:brando:

Texan_Bill
02-27-2009, 03:03 PM

Yvette get's it .

Gotitans.com just started a thread about Bruce a couple of minutes ago. Unlike Yvette and some of the other posters on the TOMB, the first couple of responses aren't nearly as well natured:

http://www.gotitans.com/goForum/showthread.php?t=46712

Texan_Bill
02-27-2009, 03:07 PM
What they don't know (probably) is that Bruce may never have been a Titan. If you recall John McLame's 6 or 7 part piece with Bruce interviewing Bruce at the Dome, Bruce said that he re-signed with Oilers based on assurances from Bud that the team would not be moved. He seemed to start getting a little frustrated as he recalled the scenario.

Ole Miss Texan
02-27-2009, 03:23 PM
This doesn't really mean we'll be drafting Clay Matthews but it sure does bring him on our radar bright and big. I'll leave it up to Smith/Bush/Kubiak to decide if he'd be able to play SLB in a 4-3... but if he can I'd be thrilled. He'd bring a great pass rush to the team as well and that's something we could definitely use.

Bruce- Another quality guy for the Texans F.O.

TEXANRED
02-27-2009, 03:27 PM

Good hire, though.
and that is supposed to upset us why?

Errant Hothy
02-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Gotitans.com just started a thread about Bruce a couple of minutes ago. Unlike Yvette and some of the other posters on the TOMB, the first couple of responses aren't nearly as well natured:

http://www.gotitans.com/goForum/showthread.php?t=46712

What were you expecting from them? Something approaching class?

Afterall, they take after their owner for the most part.

Runner
02-27-2009, 03:36 PM

Good hire, though.

and that is supposed to upset us why?

Munchak is a great o-line coach.

mussop
02-27-2009, 03:42 PM
great news, never saw him play live, but ive watched film and read about the guy. I also saw his hall of fame speech which was awesome!

We had an awsome line in the 80's.
yr rd # Name
1982 1 8 Mike Munchak OG
1983 1 9 Bruce Matthews OG/C
1983 2 30 Harvey Salem T
1984 1 2 Dean Steinkuhler T

INCREDIBLE!!!!

mussop
02-27-2009, 03:43 PM

Good hire, though.

Mathews was better! :specnatz::smiliedance:

SheTexan
02-27-2009, 03:57 PM
WOW!!!

My face hurts from smiling!!!! Can't wait to see him on the sideline! AWESOME move by the FO!!!

El Tejano
02-27-2009, 04:07 PM
The one thing he said he missed was the sound of the crowd in the dome. I sure hope we are a loud bunch to bring back some memories for the guy.

GuerillaBlack
02-27-2009, 04:33 PM
*claps*

Good job.

Giant Tiger
02-27-2009, 04:56 PM
WOW!!!

My face hurts from smiling!!!! Can't wait to see him on the sideline! AWESOME move by the FO!!!

Absolutely :thisbig: :fans:

badboy
02-27-2009, 05:10 PM
great news, never saw him play live, but ive watched film and read about the guy. I also saw his hall of fame speech which was awesome!WTF, Matthews was the consumate olineman. 6'5" 295 if my memory serves and played guard and tackle. I think he went to probowl at both positions. Hell of a nice guy and did real well with a Snapple tea franchise before selling it. Also was part owner of a home construction company. The guy just does not understand what "quit" means. I thought he was happy coaching in high school. A tremendous pick up for our team.

Texan_Bill
02-27-2009, 05:17 PM
WTF, Matthews was the consumate olineman. 6'5" 295 if my memory serves and played guard and tackle. I think he went to probowl at both positions. Hell of a nice guy and did real well with a Snapple tea franchise before selling it. Also was part owner of a home construction company. The guy just does not understand what "quit" means. I thought he was happy coaching in high school. A tremendous pick up for our team.

*ahem* center and deep snapper.

Overalls
02-27-2009, 05:17 PM
I really like this move. I don't know how he will turn our as a coach but with his work and personal ethic he could be a real find.

Not to mention that I love that it urks the ICOU.

Texan_Bill
02-27-2009, 05:18 PM
I really like this move. I don't know how he will turn our as a coach but with his work and personal ethic he could be a real find.

It didn't urk them as much as you urk them by rubbing their face(s) in it. ;)

WWJD
02-27-2009, 05:19 PM
Well he was a superb player for many years and apparently from all reports is a classy individual.

Doesn't seem it's anything but good regarding this.

Buffi2
02-27-2009, 05:20 PM
Outstanding ! This is absolutely great news! It will be great to have Matthews back home and on the sideline. Too Cool!:doot:

nunusguy
02-27-2009, 05:22 PM
WTF, Matthews was the consumate olineman. 6'5" 295 if my memory serves and played guard and tackle. I think he went to probowl at both positions. Hell of a nice guy and did real well with a Snapple tea franchise before selling it. Also was part owner of a home construction company. The guy just does not understand what "quit" means. I thought he was happy coaching in high school. A tremendous pick up for our team.

I dunno for sure, but I'm thinking Matthews may have also played some center ?
You know it's interesting to see how everybody gets so excited about this guy who's gonna just be an assistant coach. Of course he's a HofFamer, but most of all people are jumpin for joy because he's a local favorate which really supports the argument that teams ought to try to draft more local players. And I'm not talking about VY - taking Mario was the smart move. Period.
But if all things are basically equal for a couple players the Texans are looking at in the Draft and one of them is a UT or Aggie or TT or Baylor, UH, etc. player, well you get the idea. I think it really does a lot to fire-up/retain the fan-base ?

Texan_Bill
02-27-2009, 05:50 PM

*ahem* center and deep snapper.

I dunno for sure, but I'm thinking Matthews may have also played some center ?

Yup!!

Matthews began his pro career as a guard and earned a starting role on the team’s offensive line in just his second game. Incredibly valuable to the team’s offense, Matthews eventually played every position along the Oilers/Titans offensive line during his long career. He made his most starts at guard (99 on the left side, and 67 as the right guard) and center (87). He also started 22 games as the team’s right tackle and 17 at left tackle

HOF Member Bio (http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=264)

TimeKiller
02-27-2009, 06:34 PM
Wow. Just wow. That clobber-line still ringin'?!?

Very cool.

I would also like to point to my sig.

Bulluck53
02-27-2009, 10:07 PM

Why would this upset us? The guy loves Houston.

euro-Texan
02-27-2009, 10:30 PM

Well... maybe you should review the whole history of yur P.O.S. owner who has tried to strip this great town of our proud football history and... well nevermind. I hate Boss Hog!

b0ng
02-27-2009, 10:50 PM

F.U. bruce. F. U.

I don't know why it would piss off Titans fans anyway but some people don't share this view.

euro-Texan
02-27-2009, 10:54 PM

You guys could alway 1-up us by signing Davis Carr to mentor Vince.

Specnatz
02-28-2009, 01:03 AM

It would not upset anyone who does not know a damn thing about Houston football and giving the big finger to that A-hole of an owner of the titans.

SteveSlaton20
03-01-2009, 01:25 AM
Screw Houston and screw Texas, this is Tennessee BABY!!!!!!!!!

http://i40.tinypic.com/165qxf.gif

:spit:

AnthonyE
03-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Bruce Matthews is on 1560 the Game right now.

4Texans
03-02-2009, 12:34 PM
Bruce Matthews is on 1560 the Game right now.

What was said????

SouthSideTexan
03-02-2009, 01:09 PM
You guys could alway 1-up us by signing Davis Carr to mentor Vince.

:spit: Too funny......Rep coming your way.

Second Honeymoon
03-02-2009, 03:23 PM
Thanks a million Bob. I am so happy that we have a Houston football legend on our coaching staff. Matthews is a great one and I love what they have done here.

WTG TEXANS!!!