PDA

View Full Version : Report: Haynesworth to the Skins

Brando
02-27-2009, 04:42 AM
Well, Lance Zierlein was right. (Peter King, too.)

Multiple members of the media are reporting that defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth has agreed to terms with the Washington Redskins.

The news comes from both Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean and Adam Schefter of NFL Network.

It’s a seven-year, $100-million deal with an incredible $41 million in guaranteed money.

The maximum value of the package is $115 million.

As we’ve previously said, the fact that the Titans and the Lions weren’t major players in the pursuit of Haynesworth tells us all we need to know; both teams have decided that Haynesworth isn’t worth the money.

Otherwise, the team with which Haynesworth spent seven seasons or his former defensive coordinator (who now is the head coach in Detroit) would have stepped up to the plate.

But maybe Haynesworth won’t go soft now that he no longer has to worry about money. Maybe, as he recently said, he’ll be motivated to prove the naysayers wrong.

And maybe he won’t loose his cool and step on a guy’s unhelmeted head.

And maybe he won’t leave practice and come back with a pipe. (Not a pipe for smoking crack, but a pipe for cracking skulls.)

And maybe he’ll learn how to obey all posted speed limits and not cause accidents that require 25-year-old kids to get hip replacements.

And maybe he’ll learn how to fly, without a plane.

And maybe the Redskins finally will learn that this isn’t the way to build a championship football team.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/27/haynesworth-to-the-skins/

TEXANRED
02-27-2009, 05:48 AM
Ha Ha. Of course Fat Al is going to suck now. He has nothing left to play for.

He played for the Titans for 7 years and didn't make a name for himself till he stomped on some poor guys head three years ago. He didn't get good till it was his contract two years ago.

Over paid, over priced, over hyped. This will be the last we speak of fat boy unless we are talking about how much trouble the Skins are in cus of his contract.

Maddict5
02-27-2009, 05:54 AM
it continues to boggle my mind how franchises like the raiders and redskins can give ridiculous contracts (fat al & hall) and still stay under the cap

hobie
02-27-2009, 06:47 AM
Wow, that's alot for him... I wonder how the fans are going to feel knowing between the 2 guys they signed are going to get that much money..They can expect their ticket prices to go up !! And they are still going after other guys and they will still have a 1st rounder to sign...they must have really under that cap!

SheTexan
02-27-2009, 07:12 AM
NO freaking football player is worth that much money!! NONE!!!

Silver Oak
02-27-2009, 07:13 AM
41 million guaranteed? wow.

at least he'll be squashing Romo two times a season instead of MS.

Thorn
02-27-2009, 07:14 AM
Typical that Washington is overpaying for something. :)

TimeKiller
02-27-2009, 07:25 AM
ha!

HoustonFrog
02-27-2009, 07:42 AM
LZ is off the hook now after reporting it in his blog wearlier in the week. He was sweating it.

b0ng
02-27-2009, 07:50 AM
Bye bye ******. Have fun with Gurode 2 times a year.

Htownsportsfan
02-27-2009, 07:50 AM
Dan Snyder is like George Steinbrenner when it comes to picking talent for his franchise. Just throw a bunch of money at guys with talent no matter how they fit in with the squad. I will be curious to see how the skins do with that much money obligated to two players.

I ma glad to have Fat Al out of the AFC South thats for sure.

WWJD
02-27-2009, 07:51 AM
Contracts like that just drive up the price for every other FA out there...

Redskins fans are gonna be the ones to pay ultimately. Same as everywhere else...you got high dollar products and you pass the cost on to the consumer.

I was priced out of the NFL a long time ago.

Stemp
02-27-2009, 07:57 AM
Schaub's knee insuranace premium just went down 30%.

Blake
02-27-2009, 07:59 AM
Unreal. I am glad to have him, Fred Taylor and Marvin Harrison out of the AFC South.

Specnatz
02-27-2009, 08:07 AM
Wow, that's alot for him... I wonder how the fans are going to feel knowing between the 2 guys they signed are going to get that much money..They can expect their ticket prices to go up !! And they are still going after other guys and they will still have a 1st rounder to sign...they must have really under that cap!

Contracts like that just drive up the price for every other FA out there...

Redskins fans are gonna be the ones to pay ultimately. Same as everywhere else...you got high dollar products and you pass the cost on to the consumer.

I was priced out of the NFL a long time ago.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3938727

Hall accepted a six-year $54 million deal that included $22.5 million in guarantees, giving the 25-year-old cornerback his second big payday in as many years. Hall was guaranteed around $24 million in a seven-year, $70 million contract he signed a year ago with Oakland, but he struggled to adjust to the Raiders' man-to-man defense and was waived after eight games.

This greatly effects the Texans and what D-Rob is going to want.

Txn_in_Oki
02-27-2009, 08:21 AM
Unreal. I am glad to have him, Fred Taylor and Marvin Harrison out of the AFC South.

Exactly.

El Tejano
02-27-2009, 08:32 AM
This greatly effects the Texans and what D-Rob is going to want.

No joke especially when you look at where and when they were drafted.

nunusguy
02-27-2009, 08:44 AM
Great news for us (and the Colts & Jags). The Titans will still be tough,
but not as tough without AH.

Brandon420tx
02-27-2009, 08:48 AM
Bye bye ******. Have fun with Gurode 2 times a year.

This was similar to my first thought. I'm definitely rooting for Dallas at least twice this year

GP
02-27-2009, 09:01 AM
That Titans defense just got weaker.

I don't care what anybody says in contradiction to my statement.

We had an easier time beating the Titans last season with Haynesworth on the bench. He was getting double-teamed and STILL breaking through to get to the ball. He is very disruptive. Period.

KVB is a good player, don't get me wrong. But he's also benefiting from playing alongside Haynesworth. The Titans better find AH's replacement int he draft, and I don't think they will.

Gone to the NFC. That's even better.

WesmanTexanfan
02-27-2009, 09:02 AM
Everybody wave.....bye albert.....bye!

gtexan02
02-27-2009, 09:03 AM
Wow, thats a lot of money. This really sucks. I dont even want to know what sort of deal Mario is going to ask for...

Seņor Stan
02-27-2009, 09:19 AM
Gone to the Cowboys' division. That's even better.

Fixed it for you.

toronto
02-27-2009, 09:42 AM
As a Titan fan, I will miss the man, but that kind of money is insane - I can live with the Titans not matching that.

Congrats to Dan Snyder, the undisputed champion of March.

HOU-TEX
02-27-2009, 09:45 AM
As a Titan fan, I will miss the man, but that kind of money is insane - I can live with the Titans not matching that.

Congrats to Dan Snyder, the undisputed champion of March.

I agree, toronto. It's just sickening. I'm still wondering how the Skins are doing all this with their limited cap space. Maybe they're going to trim a lot of fat the next couple days? :thinking:

Errant Hothy
02-27-2009, 09:57 AM
Just happy he's out of the AFC South, and I get to listen to whiney Cowboys' fans complain when he crushes Romo. Good day, indeed.

leebigeztx
02-27-2009, 10:00 AM
That's my squadd and itss going to hurt, but Canty is coming in annd I don't think he's going to leave the building.

HOU-TEX
02-27-2009, 10:02 AM
That's my squadd and itss going to hurt, but Canty is coming in annd I don't think he's going to leave the building.

What? Canty's visiting the Texans?

Blazing Arrow
02-27-2009, 10:20 AM
I read he gets something like $32 mill in the first 13 months. :mcnugget:

With that type of money the Titans could sign Bolden, LJ Smith and a compensatory pick in the 4th. If that were on the trading block I would take it. Not upset at all.

Maddict5
02-27-2009, 10:20 AM
What? Canty's visiting the Texans?

titans im guessing 'thats my squadd and itss gonna hurt':thinking:

Texans34Life
02-27-2009, 10:30 AM
titans im guessing 'thats my squadd and itss gonna hurt':thinking:

I think he's was visiting the Skins....but now that Haynesworth has signed, I think he might look elsewhere.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/25/AR2009022503965.html?hpid=sec-sports

WWJD
02-27-2009, 10:45 AM
I heard on the Dallas station I stream that he is going to visit the Titans.

Nawzer
02-27-2009, 11:04 AM
This move has disaster written all over it. Well at least we don't have to see him twice a year and I'm glad Matt Schaub is a happy guy today!

BigBull17
02-27-2009, 11:20 AM
I bet Dan Snider got a fruit basket from 3 teams this morning. And a Matt Schaub Fathead. I bet Jerah and the Cowgirls are a little sad today. Romo may retire.

WWJD
02-27-2009, 11:40 AM
I bet Dan Snider got a fruit basket from 3 teams this morning. And a Matt Schaub Fathead. I bet Jerah and the Cowgirls are a little sad today. Romo may retire.

Nope..if anything they paid way too much for him and that will bite them eventually!

Why do you think he stomped on Gurode's head? Maybe cause he got whipped and was pissed off...

Look..he's a great player and certainly he's a difference maker. The Giants have a good D line, the Eagles have a good D line. So you can add the Skins to that mix now.

The only moaning I've read on my Cowboy board this AM is just what I posted earlier....that this monster of a contract will have trickle down effect on getting other players signed. Like Demarcus Ware who the Cowboys are trying to lock up now. Who's got the bigger upside? Ware or Haynesworth?

DBCooper
02-27-2009, 11:40 AM
That Titans defense just got weaker.

We had an easier time beating the Titans last season with Haynesworth on the bench. He was getting double-teamed and STILL breaking through to get to the ball. He is very disruptive. Period.

KVB is a good player, don't get me wrong. But he's also benefiting from playing alongside Haynesworth. The Titans better find AH's replacement int he draft, and I don't think they will.

I'm glad Fat Al is gone from the Titans.

But make no mistake, the Titans stay competitive because of one man, Jeff Fisher.

He will find someone to fill in. Unfortunately.

stingray
02-27-2009, 11:51 AM
Redskins do it again.. Too much money and no real results. They don't learn.

mattieuk
02-27-2009, 12:22 PM
Great news for the Texans. I'm a happy guy, not having to see him twice a year!

A step back for the Titans losing him, after last season's play, but jeez, what stupid money. Its shocking.

Bulluck53
02-27-2009, 01:37 PM
Well, the Titans have yet to regret losing a defensive lineman in free agency (or anyone in free agency really) so we'll see where it takes us. Luckily we have the best d-line coach in the business and a front office who will make the right moves to get us near where we have been the past few years.

And that kind of money is ridiculous, we won't regret the decision for that reason alone

spurstexanstros
02-27-2009, 02:03 PM

It seems like the rest of the teams in the south get weaker and the Texans are getting stronger or at least maintained a good strong core.

b0ng
02-27-2009, 02:37 PM
Well, the Titans have yet to regret losing a defensive lineman in free agency (or anyone in free agency really) so we'll see where it takes us. Luckily we have the best d-line coach in the business and a front office who will make the right moves to get us near where we have been the past few years.

And that kind of money is ridiculous, we won't regret the decision for that reason alone

Do you think that the DL will be as good this year as it was the last two years?

BSofA04
02-27-2009, 04:05 PM
Classic Bud Adams. Even if it wasn't about the money, he just can't keep his best players in his organization. It's not like they don't have cap room to resign Fat Albert. I'm sooo glad Bud's not in Houston anymore. Your problem now Nashville. Ha ha.

WWJD
02-27-2009, 04:14 PM
I don't blame them for not resigning him at that price and I suspect IF he wanted to take less money from them out of some blind loyalty (does that even exist anymore in pro sports) then he would have...

I dunno...$100 million for a player that has yet to play a full season since his rookie year.

I think I'd roll those dice and just fill in with other less expensive guys.

Many columns, fans, radio show hosts feel the Redskins overspent BIG TIME.

Remains to be seen I guess but I wouldn't have paid him that much either if I were Bud.

Blazing Arrow
02-27-2009, 05:01 PM
Do you think that the DL will be as good this year as it was the last two years?

I think we need to sign a guy to DT but I am not to worried about it.

Haynsworth was notorious for taking plays off, sitting on the field, and just not playing his all unless it was for money.

He stomped on Hatwig during a practice.

Stomped on a player during a game.

He was accused of throwing his girlfriend or wife into a towel bar in his home that got swept under the rug (don't think she pressed charges)

He averages missing 3+ games a season.

He is a good player maybe the best at his position playing right now but it is only when he wants to play.

The Pencil Neck
02-27-2009, 05:24 PM
He is a good player maybe the best at his position playing right now but it is only when he wants to play.

As much as I hate to say it, I don't think your defense is going to suffer too much without him.

mattieuk
02-27-2009, 06:12 PM
As much as I hate to say it, I don't think your defense is going to suffer too much without him.

I'm disagreeing, purely out of hope. With the attention of Big Albert gone from the minds of the o-line and co-ordinators, I think teams will be able to play against them a lot easier now, even if it is just because of not having to double team Haynesworh.

Well, I hope so anyway.

b0ng
02-27-2009, 06:24 PM
I think we need to sign a guy to DT but I am not to worried about it.

Haynsworth was notorious for taking plays off, sitting on the field, and just not playing his all unless it was for money.

He stomped on Hatwig during a practice.

Stomped on a player during a game.

He was accused of throwing his girlfriend or wife into a towel bar in his home that got swept under the rug (don't think she pressed charges)

He averages missing 3+ games a season.

Yes I don't think you're going to find anybody who will disagree that Fat Albert was a Fat Asshole. I just think losing Schwartz and Haynesworth is startlingly like the Jags offseason last year (Traded Stroud lost Smith). I think Fisher is a better coach than Del Rio but he's had some pretty terrible seasons too.

A DL of KVB, Brown, Jones (That's the rookie right?), and I don't even know I guess Ball? Is a lot less scary to be facing. All in all, I'm sure Titans fans are just as happy that he's not in the AFCS as Texans fans are.

Blazing Arrow
02-27-2009, 07:24 PM
Yes I don't think you're going to find anybody who will disagree that Fat Albert was a Fat Asshole. I just think losing Schwartz and Haynesworth is startlingly like the Jags offseason last year (Traded Stroud lost Smith). I think Fisher is a better coach than Del Rio but he's had some pretty terrible seasons too.

I think Schwartz is over rated. He depends on the quality of player and does not compensate when injury strikes or the star player is not there. Our new DC comes from the team and knows the players and how Fishers likes to run his team. He is more aggressive and will blitz more. For a few years now Titans fans have been complaining about Schwartz. He lives and dies on the D-line. Great if it is working but if not the team gets pushed around.

A DL of KVB, Brown, Jones (That's the rookie right?), and I don't even know I guess Ball? Is a lot less scary to be facing. All in all, I'm sure Titans fans are just as happy that he's not in the AFCS as Texans fans are.

Against teh Steelers we did not have KVB or AH and we crushed them. I am not saying that defines a season but it shows that we can do well without key linemen.

We have good some good money to spend right now and no one else to sign. I would be surprised not to see us pick up at least a couple guys in FA. Our needs are really WR, DT, #2 TE, and a CB to take over for Harper when he leaves. I would say the needs are probably in that area. If we picked up someone like Ray Ray I would think our run D would be improved with less money spent though I like Tulloch.

Ford, Jones, Ball, and Jones can all play inside and outside. The Titans are strong by keeping fresh bodies rotating and changing up the looks.

euro-Texan
02-27-2009, 07:45 PM
Hey at least you guys kept Collins. That should have been a load off VY's mind

Bulluck53
02-27-2009, 09:09 PM

Absolutely not, which is why I think re-signing Fuller was so huge for us. I think they will address Harper by taking a CB in the draft. I know the DL won't be as good, but if we handle it right Haynesworth's exit shouldn't be that big of a deal.

b0ng
02-27-2009, 09:13 PM
I think Schwartz is over rated. He depends on the quality of player and does not compensate when injury strikes or the star player is not there. Our new DC comes from the team and knows the players and how Fishers likes to run his team. He is more aggressive and will blitz more. For a few years now Titans fans have been complaining about Schwartz. He lives and dies on the D-line. Great if it is working but if not the team gets pushed around.

Maybe Cecil will turn out to be a decent coordinator, but right now on the defensive staff, the Titans have a DC who has never been a DC before and has only coached on one team, almost exactly like the Texans (Which can't make you feel good about that). It's pretty up in the air how the Titans defense will look next year as it's hard to grasp how it will look missing what I figure to be two pretty key components.

Also, just because fans ***** about a coach doesn't make him a bad coach.

Against teh Steelers we did not have KVB or AH and we crushed them. I am not saying that defines a season but it shows that we can do well without key linemen.

They did look good against the Steelers. They looked like shit against the Colts the very next week however.

We have good some good money to spend right now and no one else to sign. I would be surprised not to see us pick up at least a couple guys in FA. Our needs are really WR, DT, #2 TE, and a CB to take over for Harper when he leaves. I would say the needs are probably in that area. If we picked up someone like Ray Ray I would think our run D would be improved with less money spent though I like Tulloch.

Ford, Jones, Ball, and Jones can all play inside and outside. The Titans are strong by keeping fresh bodies rotating and changing up the looks.

I think the hope for the Titans is that they can sign some good players for cheap or middling contracts after the dust settles and they hit a few homeruns in the draft. You probably also need a C as Mawae is ancient and you would want his replacement groomed by him (Mawae is an excellent player). If Chris Carr leaves you might want to get a WR who can also return kicks (might cut down on a few WR's). Of course the other question is, when do you start drafting mid round QB's in hopes of finding gold? Collins is obviously a short term answer and the whole VY fiasco last year will make things a little difficult if he has to play in relief and does not do well.

The Titans currently are still the team to beat until they prove otherwise on the field, but if the defense can't keep up it's rigorous pace that it has put up for the last few years, I think the offense is going to suffer mightily. A lot more teams are going to do whatever it takes to shut down the running game and make Collins beat them. If that's the case then that means defense will be on the field a lot, which hasn't been a problem in the past, but it hasn't had a shakeup like this in awhile.

All in all, good bye Haynesworth, and I hope that you treat the cowboys just as badly as you treated the Texans.