PDA

View Full Version : Texans Re-Sign Eugene Wilson to 3 year deal

The Dude Abides
02-25-2009, 05:50 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6280713.html

All the Texans' players aren't leaving. They have reached an agreement on a three-year contract with safety Eugene Wilson, who is expected to start with Dominique Barber.

drewmar74
02-25-2009, 05:54 PM

All the Texans' players aren't leaving. They have reached an agreement on a three-year contract with safety Eugene Wilson, who is expected to start with Dominique Barber.

I'm digging this offseason more and more.

DiehardChris
02-25-2009, 05:55 PM

I need to see the terms, but for now - thank GAWD.

gary
02-25-2009, 05:55 PM
I guess they sure before they let Demps go.

HOU-TEX
02-25-2009, 05:58 PM
Solid signing. I liked the way Eugene came on strong once inserted into the lineup.

I reckon a little spending money got in the way of Demps and playing football.

ATXtexanfan
02-25-2009, 05:59 PM
Sweet, move on to demeco

Ryan
02-25-2009, 06:05 PM
At least we won't be totally screwed at the Safety position next year.:fans:

Brandon420tx
02-25-2009, 06:13 PM

I hope this doesn't mean we're not going after J. Phillips

bah007
02-25-2009, 06:15 PM
I hope this doesn't mean we're not going after J. Phillips

Sean Jones & Jermaine Phillips would still be on my watch list.

DiehardChris
02-25-2009, 06:20 PM

I'd love to see them chase Jones.

J-Russ
02-25-2009, 06:32 PM

Was just gonna name him. I would feel really comfortable with the Jones & Wilson combo going into next season.

Dapper
02-25-2009, 06:33 PM
Nice!!
The puzzle that was once our defense is coming together. Barber did show some flashes last year, he looked lost at times but hey, he was a rook. Signing DR and Meco should happen before training camp. If Molden can come in this year and push Bennet into playing like his rookie year,or flat out replace him, we will be solid in our base and nickel. Now all we need is an edge rusher or two and Adibi to stay on the field.

False Start
02-25-2009, 06:33 PM
Great signing! :jam:

Fox
02-25-2009, 06:36 PM
I'm a big fan of this move. I like Wilson as a starter. He's smart, dependable, makes plays on the ball, and he comes with decent range to boot.

PHAROAH
02-25-2009, 06:41 PM
Eugene Wilson is a good player in his prime and has started in two super bowls and he isn't 30 years old yet. I love the off season that we are having and all we have to do is to sign or draft a good strong safety to team up with Eugene. Great move!!!!!

J-Russ
02-25-2009, 06:45 PM

Just re-read this. So, this mean that McClain is certain Barber is going to start next year? Is he one of those players that Kubiak "wished he played more this past season"? If that's the case then I'd be a bit skeptical having a 6th round, second year guy start on an already mediocre defense. Then again, I sort of built a strong trust in Kubiak.

Past guys he wished he played more, then name starter during off-season:

Kevin Walter - 2007
Zac Diles - 2008

In Kubiak we trust... I suppose.

TimeKiller
02-26-2009, 08:50 AM
Barber would bring the Strong to Strong Safety. I'd love to see the type of physicality his bro brings on our defense, I'm just not sold on D-Bar yet.

Great news about Wilson, another Smith + signing. Hopefully he won't have a drop off like Demps had. Look forward to him roaming the backfield for some more picks this year!

gtexan02
02-26-2009, 09:01 AM
I agree. This is good news, but I hope he doesn't fall off the planet like Demps.

PHAROAH
02-26-2009, 11:06 AM
We need to get him a good running mate to solidify the back end of the defense.

HJam72
02-26-2009, 11:24 AM
But....we don't really need a volleyball.. :mcnugget:

Texan JBZ
02-26-2009, 11:27 AM

:cricket::cricket::cricket::sleep:

Errant Hothy
02-26-2009, 11:30 AM
I need to see the terms, but for now - thank GAWD.

Indeed.

With both starters on the roster for atleast 2 more years, and atleast 1 solid back-up. I'd rather see them go after a young FS in the draft, rather then on the free agent market.

El Tejano
02-26-2009, 11:31 AM

Wilson...Volleyball. Ha. Late but I still got it.

Errant Hothy
02-26-2009, 11:50 AM

Ummm...the link says nothing bout Wilson beign re-signed.

Anybody have a source to colaborte this?

The Dude Abides
02-26-2009, 11:53 AM
Ummm...the link says nothing bout Wilson beign re-signed.

Anybody have a source to colaborte this?

2nd paragraph. On Wednesday, the Texans reached an agreement on a three-year contract with starting free safety Eugene Wilson

Errant Hothy
02-26-2009, 11:55 AM
2nd paragraph. On Wednesday, the Texans reached an agreement on a three-year contract with starting free safety Eugene Wilson

My bad. :gun:

Me thinks I need to return to the eye doctor sooner rather then later.

Carry on.

TexanAddict
02-26-2009, 12:24 PM
With both starters on the roster for atleast 2 more years, and atleast 1 solid back-up. I'd rather see them go after a young FS in the draft, rather then on the free agent market.

Sorry, count me on the Sean Jones bandwagon. I think from what I have seen from Barber thus far, he would be an immediate upgrade. He's only 27 and has 14 INTs and 25 PDEF over the last 3 yrs as a starter. This on a Cleveland team that wasn't exactly forcing teams to throw a lot. Dude, just gets his hands on the football, which is exactly what the Texans need. Would probably contribute more than a rookie safety from this draft class.

Errant Hothy
02-26-2009, 12:32 PM
Sorry, count me on the Sean Jones bandwagon. I think from what I have seen from Barber thus far, he would be an immediate upgrade. He's only 27 and has 14 INTs and 25 PDEF over the last 3 yrs as a starter. This on a Cleveland team that wasn't exactly forcing teams to throw a lot. Dude, just gets his hands on the football, which is exactly what the Texans need. Would probably contribute more than a rookie safety from this draft class.

Well duh?

But a rookie would be 4 to 5 years younger, and significantly cheaper. Kubiak seems as high on Barber as he was on Diles at this time last year, and that sounds go to me.

If the team was going to make a serious run at Sean Jones, then why re-sign Wilson?

The Pencil Neck
02-26-2009, 12:35 PM
With signing Wilson and what Kubiak has said about Barber, I really don't expect us to go after a safety in FA or early in the draft.

Brando
02-26-2009, 12:41 PM
Cool. I'm glad we inked him to a contract. He was very solid last year and the he definitely helped out the defense. I like this guy.

TexanAddict
02-26-2009, 12:50 PM
Well duh?

But a rookie would be 4 to 5 years younger, and significantly cheaper. Kubiak seems as high on Barber as he was on Diles at this time last year, and that sounds go to me.

If the team was going to make a serious run at Sean Jones, then why re-sign Wilson?

Because you play more than one safety at a time? And Barber is C.C. Brown, Jr.? Seem like good enough reasons to me.

Polo
02-26-2009, 12:58 PM
I doubt they go after Jones or any othe rSafety at this point, and honestly I'm o.k with that.

If they draft a safety I look for him to compete with Barber or be a back-up in learning to Wilson.

As it stands right now I could very easily see us going LB in the first and DE in the second.

gtexan02
02-26-2009, 01:01 PM
Kubiak has said repeatedly that safety is a position of need on this football team. Resigning Wilson doesn't change that. We had a probowl alternate in Demps last season, and he made zero impact for us this year. Kubiak doesn't make the same mistakes twice (I hope)

The Pencil Neck
02-26-2009, 01:03 PM
Kubiak has said repeatedly that safety is a position of need on this football team.

He's said that? Every time I recall hearing him talk about the safeties, he's been "ok" with their performance. All the safety talk I remember hearing has come from us.

gtexan02
02-26-2009, 01:04 PM
He's said that? Every time I recall hearing him talk about the safeties, he's been "ok" with their performance. All the safety talk I remember hearing has come from us.

Hmmmm maybe youre right. Im pretty sure I remember hearing that Kubiak mentioned pass rushing defensive end and safety. Could be wrong though

TimeKiller
02-26-2009, 01:05 PM
As it stands right now I could very easily see us going LB in the first and DE in the second.

Yuppers. I'm all for spending a high draft pick on safety I just don't think Kubiak and Smith will, especially with the class seeming so...thin, I suppose.

Right now I'm on a kick of wanting them to trade down and grab Clay Matthews III, I'm totally sold on the guy. Big, fast, physical, bloodlines already flowing with Houston Pro Football before he put on his first helmet....Grab one of the guys that falls into the 2nd at DE Sidbury/Ayers/Kruger/maybe even Johnson and go from there.

Polo
02-26-2009, 01:06 PM
Kubiak has said repeatedly that safety is a position of need on this football team. Resigning Wilson doesn't change that. We had a probowl alternate in Demps last season, and he made zero impact for us this year. Kubiak doesn't make the same mistakes twice (I hope)

Kubiak has expressed concerns about every area of the defense. That doesn't mean I expect him to go out and draft or sign top tier free agents at every level.

He probably has mentioned the safeties...Doesn't mean his idea of fixing the problem will be the same as ours...

infantrycak
02-26-2009, 01:43 PM
Hmmmm maybe youre right. Im pretty sure I remember hearing that Kubiak mentioned pass rushing defensive end and safety. Could be wrong though

I believe you are thinking of the interview Frank Bush gave after he became DC--he did mention safety and DE. Now on the safety comment you have to take into consideration that three (Brown, Ferguson and Wilson) were set to become free agents and a forth (Demps) was on the outs.

Mr teX
02-26-2009, 03:11 PM
Given how much Kubes loves Barber, i fully expect him to be starting this year at 1 of the safety spots.

& you guys are forgeting that Wilson can play FS & corner, though FS is where he fits best at. Kubes & co. might just be inking him for depth & as a swing guy. That still puts us in play for a safety in the draft & FA. More importantly however it puts Harrison, Brown,Ferguson & Faggins on notice. Anyone of those guys slip up between now & the final cut date & it's over.

Errant Hothy
02-26-2009, 05:23 PM
If you want Sean Jones get ready to spend as Yerimah Bell just re-signed for big (?) money.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/26/bell-stays-in-miami/

The last of the trio to agree to terms was Bell. Per a league source, it’s a four-year, $20 million deal, with $10 million guaranteed.

Makes me even more curious as to what Wilson got.

dalemurphy
02-26-2009, 05:27 PM
If you want Sean Jones get ready to spend as Yerimah Bell just re-signed for big (?) money.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/26/bell-stays-in-miami/

Makes me even more curious as to what Wilson got.

I'm pretty sure that Sean Jones' deal will be something like 5yrs and $30 million. By the way, I've got no problem with doing that for him.

DiehardChris
02-26-2009, 05:30 PM
I'm pretty sure that Sean Jones' deal will be something like 5yrs and $30 million. By the way, I've got no problem with doing that for him.

Bell got 10 million guaranteed. Considering we gave Reeves, what - 8 guaranteed? I'd do that for Sean Jones in a second.

dalemurphy
02-26-2009, 05:33 PM
Bell got 10 million guaranteed. Considering we gave Reeves, what - 8 guaranteed? I'd do that for Sean Jones in a second.

Yeah Chris, I would figure the signing bonus would be about $12-15 million. If we started next season with Dunta Robinson at one CB and Eugene Wilson and Sean Jones at safety.... boy, wouldn't that be miles ahead of where we were last season!

DiehardChris
02-26-2009, 05:41 PM
Yeah Chris, I would figure the signing bonus would be about $12-15 million. If we started next season with Dunta Robinson at one CB and Eugene Wilson and Sean Jones at safety.... boy, wouldn't that be miles ahead of where we were last season!

Yeah. It really would. What were our starting safeties in game one last year? Demps and CC Brown? LOL, I'd say Wilson/Jones would be a significant upgrade.

I'm skeptical of our FA moves (as always) but I hope they at least try to get in the running for this guy, no matter how much they like D. Barber.

dalemurphy
02-26-2009, 05:58 PM
Yeah. It really would. What were our starting safeties in game one last year? Demps and CC Brown? LOL, I'd say Wilson/Jones would be a significant upgrade.

I'm skeptical of our FA moves (as always) but I hope they at least try to get in the running for this guy, no matter how much they like D. Barber.

By the way Chris,

How could Miami already have agreed to terms and/or signed Gibril Wilson? That seems like a pretty clear violation. Am I wrong that nobody other than the team he finished the season on can talk to him about a contract until tonight?

DiehardChris
02-26-2009, 06:06 PM
By the way Chris,

How could Miami already have agreed to terms and/or signed Gibril Wilson? That seems like a pretty clear violation. Am I wrong that nobody other than the team he finished the season on can talk to him about a contract until tonight?

It's different when you get cut. For a player whose contract ends in 2009, the contract OFFICIALLY ends on Feb 27 at 12:00 AM... so his contract ended when he was cut last week. The guys who haven't been cut are under contract until midnight tonight.

mexican_texan
02-27-2009, 12:07 AM
Barber has already been named the starter? I like the guy, but I didn't know he was handed the starting job already

Specnatz
02-27-2009, 12:08 AM
Barber has already been named the starter? I like the guy, but I didn't know he was handed the starting job already

It is offseason, that can change after draft and camp.

mexican_texan
02-27-2009, 12:11 AM
It can, but I would doubt it. Barber is talented and after Dunta, probably our best blitzing DB.

Specnatz
02-27-2009, 12:15 AM
It can, but I would doubt it. Barber is talented and after Dunta, probably our best blitzing DB.

So if we draft Mathews or Cushing you would not have open competition?

mexican_texan
02-27-2009, 12:19 AM
I wouldn't start Maualuga or even Curry over Barber.

ArlingtonTexan
02-27-2009, 10:16 AM
Contract details

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/02/breaking-texans-get-the-job-done/

just got off the phone with a source close to the situation who has informed me that the Houston Texans have just re-signed free agent free safety Eugene Wilson to a 3 year contract worth $11.2 million with $3.85 million guaranteed.

Wilson spent the first five years of his career with the Patriots before signing with the Texans prior to the 2008 season. He racked up 63 tackles and 2 interceptions last season with the Texans

Maddict5
02-27-2009, 10:24 AM
nice deal.. means hes easily cut if he turns to crap like demps

TheRealJoker
02-27-2009, 10:30 AM
I love the numbers on Texans contracts ever since they brought in Chris Olsen. Nice contract for Wilson, gets starters money but doesn't break the bank for him and if he doesn't work out then he is easily cut.

Olsen over Dan Ferens is as much or more of an upgrade than Rick Smith over Casserly imo.

Specnatz
02-27-2009, 10:32 AM
I was just about to post the contract details.

Very cap friendly.

Errant Hothy
02-27-2009, 04:02 PM
Indeed. The contract details make this a really nice signing.

Jackie Chiles
02-27-2009, 04:08 PM
We could sign about 11 Eugene Wilsons for the price Albert got.

mexican_texan
02-28-2009, 12:39 AM
We could've got 2 Asomugha's, Joel Dreessen, and a few UDFA's.