PDA

View Full Version : DT Sean Rogers apparantly wants out of Cleveland

Texecutioner
02-25-2009, 02:38 PM
THere are reports surfacing everywhere that Rogers wants to be released out of Cleveland and that the really can't stand Mangini already. THey were also talking about it on 610 as well.

Now I highly doubt the Browns would be stupid enough to release him, but the Texans need to jump all over this if this situation doesn't get resolved in Cleveland.

Personally I would rather have Rogers than Haynesworth. I think his ceiling of potential is even higher than Fat Albert's and he is right there under him already. He could help out our O line tremendously and I watched the guy flat out dominate games last season. If we could pull him in here next to Okoye and get that DE with the first pick we could finally be done with our front 4 for a long time possibly. Kris Jenkins made a huge impact to the Jets defense this year and I would say that Jenkins, Haynesworth, and Rogers are the 3 best DT's in the league. Mario and Rogers would be one scary combo to face.

Mr teX
02-25-2009, 02:42 PM
i'd like to see about trying to get Rocky Bernard in. He's more than solid, a hometown kid & a FA this year i believe. Look em' up Ricky!

bah007
02-25-2009, 02:48 PM
I read somewhere that the only reason Rogers is complaining is because of the contract that Haynesworth is going to eventually sign.

He thinks he is as good as Haynesworth and wants to be paid accordingly.

I'll try to find the piece I read that in.

Texecutioner
02-25-2009, 02:51 PM
i'd like to see about trying to get Rocky Bernard in. He's more than solid, a hometown kid & a FA this year i believe. Look em' up Ricky!

What team did Bernard play for?

I've just been intrigued with Rogers for years now. The guy is a beast. A few times last year the Browns would line him up at LB to give him a running start to just bull rush the entire O line and the guy would cause HAVOC! He can move extremely well for being so big.

If he becomes available for a trade we have to go after him. He would immediately make a huge difference on our D line and might help to make Okoye a little better.

Texecutioner
02-25-2009, 02:52 PM
I read somewhere that the only reason Rogers is complaining is because of the contract that Haynesworth is going to eventually sign.

He thinks he is as good as Haynesworth and wants to be paid accordingly.

I'll try to find the piece I read that in.

He is just about as good as Haynesworth. I think he could possibly be even better if he were to be in the right situation with other players like Mario on the D line and an improved Okoye.

Blake
02-25-2009, 02:53 PM

I've just been intrigued with Rogers for years now. The guy is a beast. A few times last year the Browns would line him up at LB to give him a running start to just bull rush the entire O line and the guy would cause HAVOC! He can move extremely well for being so big.

If he becomes available for a trade we have to go after him. He would immediately make a huge difference on our D line and might help to make Okoye a little better.

I think Seattle.

infantrycak
02-25-2009, 02:55 PM
He would certainly be a cheaper alternative, but higher ceiling? Dude has been in the league 8 years already--he has hit his ceiling (along with every buffet on the way there).

Mr teX
02-25-2009, 02:56 PM

Yeah, i forget what Crennel called that defensive package...Shock & Awe, UFO ..something like that.

& Bernard has been playing in seattle; i think he'd help Okoye out tremendously.

Texecutioner
02-25-2009, 03:03 PM
He would certainly be a cheaper alternative, but higher ceiling? Dude has been in the league 8 years already--he has hit his ceiling (along with every buffet on the way there).

He also has been playing for the Lions and a Browns team that didn't have other really good pass rushers to compliment him.

If he were next to Mario and an improved Okoye along with another rookie DE that we might draft in the first round I think the guy could have a bigger ceiling. I mean, who else on that D line of the Lions or the Browns was there that opened up things easier for Rogers? It was usually him having to do that for other insufficient players. If he could become available I think he is a no brainer and could be the DT that we have been needing for years.

bah007
02-25-2009, 03:38 PM
He is just about as good as Haynesworth. I think he could possibly be even better if he were to be in the right situation with other players like Mario on the D line and an improved Okoye.

I'm not a fan of guys that sign a 6 year deal and then complain after the first year that they aren't being paid enough.

You signed it. STFU and play.

Texecutioner
02-25-2009, 03:41 PM
I'm not a fan of guys that sign a 6 year deal and then complain after the first year that they aren't being paid enough.

Yeah, but a lot of it has to do with Mangini coming in there and he has rubbed a lot of people in that organization the wrong way. THat is a big part of this.

I don't care, I would take the chance on Rogers. He is to good of a talent not to. At some point the Texans need to go out now and starting bringing in some kinds of players in free agency or something. We need a DT bad, and why not go out and get one that is a proven player rather than missing in the draft on a guy like Travis Johnson. Rogers and Mario would be really scary.

Specnatz
02-25-2009, 03:52 PM
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2009/02/browns_tackle_shaun_rogers_rep.html

Browns Pro Bowl defensive tackle Shaun Rogers is so disgruntled with new coach Eric Mangini and the new regime that he's asked the team not to pay his guaranteed $6 million option bonus next month, nfl.com's Adam Schefter reported Tuesday night.

Schefter, according to a source close to Rogers, said the tackle would rather be released after only one season even though he's owed $15 million in guaranteed money. However, he hasn't asked yet to be released, the Browns told nfl.com.

Rogers is reportedly miffed about two off-season incidents in which he feels Mangini snubbed him. The first time, Mangini walked into the Browns' training room and didn't say hello to Rogers, the source said. The second time, Mangini and Rogers were together in the media room at the Greater Cleveland Sports Awards on Jan. 23 and neither acknowledged the other.

DiehardChris
02-25-2009, 04:03 PM

Yeah, what he said. I don't want to bring in a guy who's going to hold his own team hostage, similar to Peppers. Why do we want malcontents? We've got enough of our own guys mad at the FO already.

bah007
02-25-2009, 04:09 PM
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2009/02/browns_tackle_shaun_rogers_rep.html

So he has self esteem issues as well?

Texecutioner
02-25-2009, 04:10 PM
Yeah, what he said. I don't want to bring in a guy who's going to hold his own team hostage, similar to Peppers. Why do we want malcontents? We've got enough of our own guys mad at the FO already.

So if he becomes tradable we're supposed to forget about all the holes in our defense and roll back out there with Travis Johnson or Okam again this season? No thanks. It's about time the Texans go after some kind of guy in a trade or free agency to build this defense up a little faster. The impact Rogers could have on this defense is to big to just say ignore his talent because of that in this situation. We haven't upgraded our secondary at all really, and we need to get this D line a lot stronger if you're going to want to stop teams from torching us in the passing game. If he can be had, we can seriously improve the defense by getting a DT like Rogers.

I saw the impact that Kris Jenkins brought to the Jets defense all season long, and I want a guy like that on this D line and Rogers is that.

I said this same exact thing last off season when Stroud became available for a trade and folks tried to say no we don't need him and the Texans management made no effort to get him and what happened? The Bills got him for a bargain and he helped the Bills out A LOT. Stroud will most likely be there tearing up the trenches for at least another season or two and Rogers to me is better than what Stroud was at this point last year.

Big Poundcake
02-25-2009, 04:24 PM
I'd love to see him on the Texans, but I don't think it would be worth what it would take to get him.

I love watching him play though. He looks like he is near 4 BILLS!! and he is still making plays.

DiehardChris
02-25-2009, 04:26 PM
So if he becomes tradable we're supposed to forget about all the holes in our defense and roll back out there with Travis Johnson or Okam again this season? No thanks. It's about time the Texans go after some kind of guy in a trade or free agency to build this defense up a little faster. The impact Rogers could have on this defense is to big to just say ignore his talent because of that in this situation. We haven't upgraded our secondary at all really, and we need to get this D line a lot stronger if you're going to want to stop teams from torching us in the passing game. If he can be had, we can seriously improve the defense by getting a DT like Rogers.

I saw the impact that Kris Jenkins brought to the Jets defense all season long, and I want a guy like that on this D line and Rogers is that.

I said this same exact thing last off season when Stroud became available for a trade and folks tried to say no we don't need him and the Texans management made no effort to get him and what happened? The Bills got him for a bargain and he helped the Bills out A LOT. Stroud will most likely be there tearing up the trenches for at least another season or two and Rogers to me is better than what Stroud was at this point last year.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. He's a malcontent. He thinks he's worth as much as Fat Albert. He's holding his own team hostage.

We have to pay him a HUGE contract, give up picks for him, and then just hope he doesn't flip on the Texans the way he did on the Browns after one season? Hell to the NO.

Texecutioner
02-25-2009, 04:32 PM
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. Now you're saying we should TRADE for him? Yeah, okay. He's a malcontent. He thinks he's worth as much as Fat Albert. He's holding his own team hostage.

Hell to the NO.

All of this pessimistic stuff is the same stuff I heard last season when I was suggesting that the Texans needed to make a move for Stroud and Rogers is better than what Stroud was. I don't know why some of you are so against trades when we have several holes to fill on one of the worst defenses in the league. Rogers went to the Browns to play for Crennell and the teams turned into a joke, and hired a guy that he absolutely can't stand and he isn't the only guy who can't stand Mangini. He already is due for a nice amount of guaranteed money from the Browns and says he doesn't want it and they can keep it. That isn't holding his team hostage, I could make the argument that it's letting his team off financially wise so they could go out and get some other players since they still were a horrible team despite how good he was on their D line similar to how Mario's independant success on a terrible Texans defense. I'm sick of the Texans having such a poor D line since their inception and at some point you need to go after a proven player to fix the problem instead of taking so many chances with your draft picks.

DiehardChris
02-25-2009, 04:35 PM
All of this pessimistic stuff is the same stuff I heard last season when I was suggesting that the Texans needed to make a move for Stroud and Rogers is better than what Stroud was. I don't know why some of you are so against trades when we have several holes to fill on one of the worst defenses in the league. Rogers went to the Browns to play for Crennell and the teams turned into a joke, and hired a guy that he absolutely can't stand and he isn't the only guy who can't stand Mangini. He already is due for a nice amount of guaranteed money from the Browns and says he doesn't want it and they can keep it. That isn't holding his team hostage, I could make the argument that it's letting his team off financially wise so they could go out and get some other players since they still were a horrible team despite how good he was on their D line similar to how Mario's independant success on a terrible Texans defense. I'm sick of the Texans having such a poor D line since their inception and at some point you need to go after a proven player to fix the problem instead of taking so many chances with your draft picks.

I'm not saying Rogers is too old to help us - but if he was 26 instead of 30, then I'd entertain trading for him... but I'm not giving up draft picks for him at his age and current state of how he's handling his business.

DiehardChris
02-25-2009, 04:40 PM
Also, you call it "pessimistic stuff," I call it being worried for our short and long-term financial flexibility. You're talking about a TON of money, and some high draft picks.

Another thing - this would be the kind of move a team would make that was the proverbial "one player away." We are certainly not that. It would just be too much to give up for a guy that's 30 years old and probably has one or two good years left if that.

You don't see the sense in that?

Texecutioner
02-25-2009, 04:48 PM
Also, you call it "pessimistic stuff," I call it being worried for our short and long-term financial flexibility. You're talking about a TON of money, and some high draft picks.

Another thing - this would be the kind of move a team would make that was the proverbial "one player away." We are certainly not that. It would just be too much to give up for a guy that's 30 years old and probably has one or two good years left if that.

You don't see the sense in that?

I hear what you're saying and all, but I think he is worth it and I'm sick of the Texans just thinking they are to classy for any player that has ever had any issues. At some point, you've got to take a chance on someone who could make that big impact.

I don't think the Texans are SB bound by any means next year, but lets not forget where the Cardinals were last season. They had about as good of an offense last season as we did this season and we should improve next year in offense. The difference in the Cards this year was that their offense just got more consistent in Warner's 2nd season and their defense got better. If we could spice up that D line right now and get that other DE in the first round that we need and get into the playoffs, it isn't out of the realm of possibility that we could make a run in the playoffs. Again this team from this season was just like the Cardinals were from last season. We have to do something with this D line if we're going to get anywhere past 8-8.

DiehardChris
02-25-2009, 04:52 PM
I hear what you're saying and all, but I think he is worth it and I'm sick of the Texans just thinking they are to classy for any player that has ever had any issues. At some point, you've got to take a chance on someone who could make that big impact.

I don't think the Texans are SB bound by any means next year, but lets not forget where the Cardinals were last season. They had about as good of an offense last season as we did this season and we should improve next year in offense. The difference in the Cards this year was that their offense just got more consistent in Warner's 2nd season and their defense got better. If we could spice up that D line right now and get that other DE in the first round that we need and get into the playoffs, it isn't out of the realm of possibility that we could make a run in the playoffs. Again this team from this season was just like the Cardinals were from last season. We have to do something with this D line if we're going to get anywhere past 8-8.

I don't disagree with any of that - and really - if they got Rogers, I would be very concerned about the draft and financial impact - but I would be excited.

Texecutioner
02-25-2009, 05:07 PM
I don't disagree with any of that - and really - if they got Rogers, I would be very concerned about the draft and financial impact - but I would be excited.

It will really depend on what the Browns would be asking for him really. Mangini might fix all of this in the next few weeks for all we know. I just think if we could finally get a solid pass rush that our secondary would improve a lot more even if we haven't upgraded the players a whole lot. It just seems like the Texans are always needing a De or a DT and if there is one available that can solve the problem then why not solve it? I got to watch quite a few Browns games last season and Rogers always seemed to look like the best player on the field. O lineman were getting abused by the guy and if Jenkins could make the impact on the Jets D line that he did I think Rogers could for the Texans especially with a guy like Mario already there.

Like I said, I felt this same way last season with Stroud and he was had for like a 3rd rounder if I'm not mistaken. I would care if we gave up a 2nd for Rogers. Hell we're getting an extra 4th rounder from the Vikings any way.

Big Poundcake
02-25-2009, 08:38 PM
I'd be willing to take on his contract, but I wouldn't want to give up much for him. That is the conundrum.I'd trade a 4th for Rodgers.

Would he be worth giving up a 2nd for?

A D-Line of Mario Okoye Rodgers (Orakpo/Maybin/Ayers/ect.) would be a Elite D-Line on paper.

Texecutioner
02-25-2009, 08:46 PM
I'd be willing to take on his contract, but I wouldn't want to give up much for him. That is the conundrum.I'd trade a 4th for Rodgers.

A D-Line of Mario Okoye Rodgers (Orakpo/Maybin/Ayers/ect.) would be a Elite D-Line on paper.

That is exactly what I have been thinking. Get Rogers and grab Orakpo/Brown/Maybin and we should be set for a few years to come.

infantrycak
02-25-2009, 08:52 PM

That is exactly what I have been thinking. Get Rogers and grab Orakpo/Brown/Maybin and we should be set for a few years to come.

His base salaries are doable and I certainly wouldn't criticize a 3rd or 4th round pick trade for him on that basis. There is a real question about the guaranteed money. He only received a $5 mil signing bonus out of $20 mil guaranteed. I think that means the Texans would be taking on the other $15 mil such as the $6 mil roster bonus that is due in a month. Dude definitely has talent but also character issues akin to worries aka Haynesworth about continued effort.

scourge
02-25-2009, 09:00 PM

I really like Bernard and would love to see him in a Texans uni. He is a great guy, or at least was when we were in high school. He is also the one who saved Hamlin when he got seriously jacked up

Lying unconscious, he was kicked and punched by one man while another took cracks at his head with a four-foot traffic sign. "Basically," says Hamlin, "I got jumped."

Still, Hamlin knows he was lucky. If not for the 6'3'', 293-pound Bernard, who rushed up to push away Hamlin's assailants, Hamlin might be dead. And he was lucky to arrive at Harborview Medical Center's emergency room with only a fractured skull, three golf-ball-size blood clots and tissue damage in his brain, and a broken right hand. But just because Hamlin cheated death doesn't mean he wishes he had walked away. "I don't regret anything about it," he says.

link (http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?section=magazine&id=3661572)

However, Bernard is more of the Okoye type and less of the Rogers type, if I'm not mistaken.

***edit***
didn't know about this... link (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawks/2004363637_webhawk21.html) and the outcome link (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawks/2008000342_webhawk16.html)

rarazz00
02-25-2009, 09:24 PM

If he's wanting Fat Albert $$$ then as good as he is, we can't afford to pay a player that kind of $Jack$...If we could we would pay Fat Albert and be done w/ it allready

mexican_texan
02-25-2009, 11:46 PM
His base salaries are doable and I certainly wouldn't criticize a 3rd or 4th round pick trade for him on that basis. There is a real question about the guaranteed money. He only received a $5 mil signing bonus out of $20 mil guaranteed. I think that means the Texans would be taking on the other $15 mil such as the $6 mil roster bonus that is due in a month. Dude definitely has talent but also character issues akin to worries aka Haynesworth about continued effort.
Character issues aside, Rodgers was pretty damn good for the Browns. He was overshadowed by Kris Jenkins and Haynesworth, but he was pretty dominant himself.

Which brings me to another point...we pretty much held him in check in Cleveland.

DiehardChris
02-26-2009, 12:13 AM
Character issues aside, Rodgers was pretty damn good for the Browns. He was overshadowed by Kris Jenkins and Haynesworth, but he was pretty dominant himself.

Which brings me to another point...we pretty much held him in check in Cleveland.

I remember being shocked that Chris Myers held up against him as well as he did.

Texecutioner
02-26-2009, 12:22 AM
If he's wanting Fat Albert $$$ then as good as he is, we can't afford to pay a player that kind of $Jack$...If we could we would pay Fat Albert and be done w/ it allready

No one is going to pay him Fat Albert money. He doesn't have the same hype that Haynesworth does. It's close, and it's not like he or the Browns would be in a sweet position to negotiate knowing they have a disgruntled player that wants out. The Browns will be in some what of a rebuilding mode in a quite a few areas considering how poorly the team was this season and since Mangini is there and pretty much since he signed his contract he has been throwing his weight all over the place over there. I could easily imagine that Mangini and the new GM will be replacing quite a few players when it's all said and done and bring in the players that Mangini wants to coach.

mexican_texan
02-26-2009, 12:26 AM
I remember being shocked that Chris Myers held up against him as well as he did.
It wasn't all him. On one play, I noticed Chester Pitts hit Shaun Rogers right after the snap and Pitts went on to take care of his own guy while Myers tried to hold Rogers.

rarazz00
02-26-2009, 08:11 AM
No one is going to pay him Fat Albert money. He doesn't have the same hype that Haynesworth does. It's close, and it's not like he or the Browns would be in a sweet position to negotiate knowing they have a disgruntled player that wants out. The Browns will be in some what of a rebuilding mode in a quite a few areas considering how poorly the team was this season and since Mangini is there and pretty much since he signed his contract he has been throwing his weight all over the place over there. I could easily imagine that Mangini and the new GM will be replacing quite a few players when it's all said and done and bring in the players that Mangini wants to coach.

Ok now I see your point...I have to let this marinade a while