PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Interview With Demeco

False Start
02-24-2009, 11:30 AM
Demeco was on 790 this morning and had some interesting things to say. He said he tried to negotiate a new deal with the team but the team stalled on him. He also said he would like to get a new deal before the season starts. He really sounds like hes not happy with the way things are being handled. He wants to be considered a priority, and he doesn't feel hes being treated that way. He said that hes sad to see Sage go because they had faith that he could step in and do the job. I just hope the team can get him locked up and change his feelings towards the way things are being handled. Oh, and another thing he was playing Madden against Morlon Greenwood, he was using the COWGIRLS, and Greenwood was using the Texans. Seeing Demeco in a Girls uni would make me sick..........

Heres the link to the interview:

http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/1h/cchannel.download.akamai.com/18227/podcast/HOUSTON-TX/KBME-AM/DemecoRyans%2022409.mp3?CPROG=PCAST&MARKET=HOUSTON-TX&NG_FORMAT=sports&SITE_ID=589&STATION_ID=KBME-AM&PCAST_AUTHOR=Brad_Davies_and_Craig_Roberts&PCAST_CAT=Sports_Radio&PCAST_TITLE=Brad_Davies_and_Craig_Roberts

El Tejano
02-24-2009, 11:43 AM
I think they all want to be a priority but right now. Especially with the team having all kinds of money right now. However, guys like Demeco are not. They currently have to play under their contract. I think after FA and after the draft we will then make the resigning happen.

barrett
02-24-2009, 11:46 AM
Overall that is somewhat depressing. We, as a franchise have never been down this road before. I really hope that we can find a way to pay everyone.

Here is something I just posted on another thread:

Look, getting good football players that you can afford to keep on your team for 8+ years is the key. value is about quality players for a reasonable price so that you don't have one guy who's making 4 times as much as someone with similar productivity. (see Anthony Weaver or Morlon Greenwood)

Being able to continue to pay Schaub, Winston, Pitts, Brown, Slaton, Johnson, Daniels, Walter, Leach, Williams, Ryans, Cochran, Okoye (maybe), and Robinson for years to come is what value is.

These are the core guys of this team. They are the playmakers that we need to keep together to continue to be successful. If we can get several playmakers at a reasonable price it is a better deal that getting one superstar for an astronomical price.

That's how teams like Indy and Pittsburgh were able to have continued success for over a decade.

I'm very concerned that we can pay everyone.

I'm almost hoping that all the moves we're making are so that we can pay everyone but It looks like we're stockpiling draft picks. We've got guys here that we need to lock up long term as well.

Pantherstang84
02-24-2009, 11:46 AM
Why are players wanted to get extended now? Don't they realize next year is uncapped? As in "Name your price!"

bah007
02-24-2009, 11:53 AM
Why are players wanted to get extended now? Don't they realize next year is uncapped? As in "Name your price!"

The "uncapped year" isn't a guaranteed thing yet despite all the speculation that it is.

Mr. White
02-24-2009, 11:53 AM
Probably most guys in the NFL wouldn't mind playing for Dallas.

Their players
a) get paid well above the going rate
and
b) aren't held accountable by the coaching staff

DiehardChris
02-24-2009, 11:54 AM
Sigh. Let's please not botch DeMeco's contract.

barrett
02-24-2009, 11:55 AM
First of all I think a deal will get done before the uncapped year happens.

I got to thinking about the steelers who have lost players to FA all the time and they continue to compete. I think I'm living in a dream land where we get to keep all our guys. I need to realize that we're going to loose key guys. Demeco is upset, Dunta's upset, Open Daniels is due his payday, we could loose some guys. It's going to be hard to handle. I just hope it's the right guys that we decide to keep!

gtexan02
02-24-2009, 11:58 AM
Guys like Demeco want an extension now because he wwont become a FA in the uncapped year. He'll be restricted, and so we can lowball him without letting him leave

Mailman
02-24-2009, 12:03 PM
DeMeco needs to shut his mouth. Going public with the details of his negotiation is not helpful to him or the team, especially in the wake of the Dunta cluster.:gun:

SYFPH DeMeco!

GP
02-24-2009, 12:06 PM
I have not been as big of a fan of DeMeco as each season passes.

His rookie year was his best. Stats can be skewed, unless they are off-the-charts phenomenal. I don't dig out stats, so help me if I am wrong: Has DeMeco had a better season, each season, than the year before?

I know that in watching him in his rookie year, he seems to be wherever the ball was. He was in on the tackle no matter what. And he often was the first guy to the ball carrier. Everyone, even the commentators, were saying how crazy good he was playing his rookie year.

But since that year, I don't see him playing the same. He has an arm injury, which has to be a shoulder separation because he wears that anti-dislocation device (left arm, I think) like Clinton Portis wears. And I just don't see the same "zip" in DeMeco that I saw in his rookie year.

Granted, he might have been under-the-radar in his rookie year. And now offenses are gameplanning against him, and ball carriers are aware of where he's at (or gonna' be at).

Still, hearing him gripe about his contract...on the heels of Dunta making little comments...is irritating to me as a fan. As a fan, I had been feeling he was not giving 100% on each play like he did his rookie year. And now I read this from the man himself. What conclusions do I make? And even though my opinion doesn't matter to DeMeco, the same opinion might be held by the Texans coaching staff and management. Dude is a GIFTED player, don't get me wrong. I'm sure the coaches think that, too. But there's a draft every year. We hit on DeMeco in the draft. We can draft a LB in round 1 or 2 and replace his butt in no time at all.

Here's to hoping the Texans coaching staff and management do what's best for the future and NOT what's best for the short-term. I think that's why teams like the Steelers have done so well: They are always ahead of the game on the big decisions. They make the tough cuts at the right times, and just find a way to always look to the future.

ArlingtonTexan
02-24-2009, 12:09 PM
The "uncapped year" isn't a guaranteed thing yet despite all the speculation that it is.

The less talked about aspect of the salary cap is that there is a salary floor in place also. That goes away with also, so there are some teams that will go cheap in 2010 if there is not an agreement in place.

And as someone else posted a believe that Ryans is in the group of players which won't become FAs 2010 if there is not an agreement, so he wants a deal now.

gtexan02
02-24-2009, 12:10 PM
I dont think Ryans is out of bounds to be asking for a new deal. A lot of teams have a 1 year rule, where players can only discuss restructuring or resining when they have 1 year left on their current contract.

Ryans deal is up in 2009, so this is the time for him to get the attention

El Tejano
02-24-2009, 12:10 PM
Did he sound like he was complaining or stating facts and dealing with them?

b0ng
02-24-2009, 12:12 PM
Everybody wants to be priority number one.

GP
02-24-2009, 12:18 PM

When is it my turn?

LOL.

So true. So true.

Mailman
02-24-2009, 12:19 PM

Exactly. That was point when he really lost me in that interview. If he can't take his blinders off long enough to step into the team's shoes and see why they're not making him the top priority right now, he cannot realistically expect any movement in the negotiations process.

Mailman
02-24-2009, 12:20 PM
Did he sound like he was complaining or stating facts and dealing with them?

He sounded like a whiny *****.

SheTexan
02-24-2009, 12:25 PM
Kris Brown is up for contract renewal in 2009 also.

I have a feeling some of our players are not as happy with Mr. SMITH as some of you guys are. He might be an asshat from hell to the players. We don't know what goes on behind closed doors.

GP
02-24-2009, 12:30 PM
He sounded like a whiny *****.

LOL. I like it when people can call it like they see it.

There's no good that comes from a player doing this right after another teammate (especially on defense) has been tagged.

To me, the guy is piling on.

The players can think whatever they want about Rick Smith. It looks like we might finally have a GM who knows what he's doing.

TimeKiller
02-24-2009, 12:31 PM
Demeco is unhappy about Sage leaving? Why?

He does realize the team most likely sees more-than-marginal improvement from this deal, right?

b0ng
02-24-2009, 12:32 PM
I can see his point because he has been criminally underpaid almost since game 1 of his career.

But I doubt anything gets done before the season starts.

nunusguy
02-24-2009, 12:32 PM
I think when a team leader and favorite among his teammates like D-Rob suffers a serious injury like he did, other players get to thinking about and placing a higher priority on the security and certainty of a long-term deal when they near the time for contract negotiations. I know I would if I was in their position.

ChampionTexan
02-24-2009, 12:35 PM
The less talked about aspect of the salary cap is that there is a salary floor in place also. That goes away with also, so there are some teams that will go cheap in 2010 if there is not an agreement in place.

And as someone else posted a believe that Ryans is in the group of players which won't become FAs 2010 if there is not an agreement, so he wants a deal now.

In addition to the removal of the floor, and the extension of time to become an unrestricted free agent, there's also an additional transition tag available to teams if we hit the uncapped year. This means teams could name a franchise and a transition player, or two transition players.

As an example, that means the Ravens could have tagged Bart Scott or Ray Lewis in addition to Suggs, and the Panthers wouldn't have had to worry about getting a deal done with Gross before the deadline - they could have just tagged him in addition to Peppers.

With the extension of time needed to become an UFA, and the extra transition tags, it's very possible that the 2010 free agent class will be extremely watered down if the CBA isn't extended.

GP
02-24-2009, 12:40 PM
Demeco is unhappy about Sage leaving? Why?

He does realize the team most likely sees more-than-marginal improvement from this deal, right?

It's just typical human nature. You see someone, like Sage, who is made to feel "wanted" by a team like the Vikings, and you start coveting that respect and that attention.

b0ng said he thinks he's criminally underpaid. I disagree with that. Just watching DeMeco play each year, he's not as dominant as he was his rookie year. Something's not right, IMO.

Now...as nunusguy said "In his position, as in Dunta's, you might get jittery over not having a long-term deal sewn up..." I can sympathize with that. But there's a way to handle yourself in public, especially to the media.

Winston and Sage are really good friends. Where do we see Eric railing against the Texans about his best friend getting traded away? It's slightly possible that Eric thinks Sage is better than Schaub. I'm setting that up for this reason: Eric isn't on a talk show making snarky comments about stuff.

When a player chooses to live by the sword, in terms of fighting his battle in the media spotlight, the player stands a good chance of dying by that sword.

I'd like to see guys just shut up, play, and let their agents handle things. Otherwise, those players don't need an agent. They'd save the commission and all the fees. DeMeco: You are GIFTED. Just play, ask your agent to do the sword rattling, and quit ragging on the front office. The front office isn't blasting you in the media. Right?

b0ng
02-24-2009, 12:48 PM
Come on, you don't think DeMeco has seriously outplayed what his rookie contract is worth? None of his injuries werew serious last year and his rookie season had such great stats because he was it in defense. MW played like ****, D-rob too as well as the rest of the gang.

He's one of the very very few players on this team who plays outstanding and has a contract that is miniscule (Double S being the other guy I can think of).

GP
02-24-2009, 01:00 PM
Come on, you don't think DeMeco has seriously outplayed what his rookie contract is worth? None of his injuries werew serious last year and his rookie season had such great stats because he was it in defense. MW played like ****, D-rob too as well as the rest of the gang.

He's one of the very very few players on this team who plays outstanding and has a contract that is miniscule (Double S being the other guy I can think of).

I think the coaches and the front office see something in DeMeco that makes them hesitant to lay out the big dollars for him right now.

What's weird, to me, is that Domanick Davis/Williams got a huge payday didn't he? And it was even in the year where he started having all the knee problems, right? That was part of Capers/Casserly's doings I think.

We don't have all the data. We might have some personal sentiments about a player, but that isn't the whole enchilada in terms of how a front office has to deal with things.

I think DeMeco played very strong his rookie year. After that, I have not been nearly as encouraged with his long-term viability.

I'll answer a question with a question: Don't you think, with our track record under Smithiak, that we could "hit" on another LB in the draft? I do.

Mario is freakish. He's a phenom in the truest sense. He started slowly, but he has improved each year in terms of (a)passion, (b)execution of what he's supposed to do, and (c)humility and a willingness to take correction (such as when he got a lecture on the dangers of drag racing). I don't see DeMeco flying to the ball like he used to. I see Mario flying to the ball more than DeMeco. I see Mario sprinting across the width of the field and chasing guys down on his own. And now I see DeMeco making his contract negotiations public, and actually ragging on the FO (in a way) for not getting a deal completed by now.

While DeMeco is "gifted," I don't see him as being "the franchise," nor do I see him being hard to replace. I think Diles and Adibi were doing great as LBs this season. I think we could grab a guy like Muluaga (sp?) from USC and make him our new DeMeco Ryans. Let him play out HIS rookie contract, and do the same thing 2-3 years from now.

I'm gellin' on how Smithiak is going about things. I had my doubts during this past season, but the off-season moves for coaching AND players has been pretty bold and pretty anti-Casserly. That's a GOOD thing, as my friend Martha would say.

4Texans
02-24-2009, 01:05 PM
I really wish Demeco wouldn't bring out any contract frustrations through the media. It's just not the right time, and he has a contract right now.

Ole Miss Texan
02-24-2009, 01:12 PM
So now we're thinking Demeco isn't that good and we should just let him play out his contract? Sheesh, I've seen everything now. If you're already at that point, you might as well trade him for a very high draft pick while you can and his contract is low.

If anything what some of yall are talking about, Demeco's play "going downhill" each season. It's all the more reason why I've been saying Draft the Patrick Willis and move Demeco outside.. extend the kids career. Well, I got flamed for it. And Demeco's also been playing injured for the last two seasons. He's a fighter and a competitor and will always be out there. I love him for that, but how long are you willing to keep him like that? Okay now y'all can bring on the arguements "he could get those injuries anytime".

I'd add Maualuga if he's available at 15 if we're moving Demeco. If not go for Cushing or Matthews.

Demeco is a leader of the team. Who cares if he's not "the face of the franchise". He's a leader and you lock him up long term. Demeco would be a RFA in the uncapped year, all our young guys wouldn't be FA's. And we would have the use of 1 franchise tag and 2 transition tags. Those would only have to be used on actual FAs of ours too.

I think Rick Smith is just so busy right now. Demeco has got to understand this. This is the busiest time of year for Smith- preparing for the draft, trading players, looking at prospects (draft and free agency). I mean come on Demeco, just give the man some time and he'll make you priority #1 when you are priority #1 at that time. Right now there are bigger issues.

HOU-TEX
02-24-2009, 01:18 PM
IMO, D-Ryans will get his new deal before camp. This is the busiest time of the year for a GM. I think D-Ryans deserves to get a new deal, but at the same time I think he's a little premature with his accusations.

Mr teX
02-24-2009, 01:20 PM
well just like E. Winston got his deal done midseason last year, he & dunta (hopefully) & whomever else might get it done the same way. These guys just need to be patient.

Goldensilence
02-24-2009, 01:29 PM
Look, getting good football players that you can afford to keep on your team for 8+ years is the key. value is about quality players for a reasonable price so that you don't have one guy who's making 4 times as much as someone with similar productivity. (see Anthony Weaver or Morlon Greenwood)

Being able to continue to pay Schaub, Winston, Pitts, Brown, Slaton, Johnson, Daniels, Walter, Leach, Williams, Ryans, Cochran, Okoye (maybe), and Robinson for years to come is what value is.

These are the core guys of this team. They are the playmakers that we need to keep together to continue to be successful. If we can get several playmakers at a reasonable price it is a better deal that getting one superstar for an astronomical price.

That's how teams like Indy and Pittsburgh were able to have continued success for over a decade.

Of the guys you listed AJ is already extended and did it to help our salary cap. Winston is extended. Leach got his contract and it's not astronomical. Williams still has yet to play out his rooke deal. Daniels should be a priority this off-season. Unless Pitts makes itto the pro-bowl next year I don't think his price tag will be killer when hebecomes a FA. Brown, Okoye and Slaton will all have to play their rookie contracts.

I don't see things with Dunta ending well. Much as i love the guy and what he brings to the table he isn't a lockdown corner that deserves top 5 money. IMO best case scenario is he plays next year shows us he's worth big money and we pay. What is think is more likely he plays good to great next year wants a big contract and we either tag him one more year or we let him walk.

I think Ryans should be a bigger priority than Dunta. If we don't grab a LB in the first two rounds or help in FA we should move Diles to MLB where I think his lack of sideline to sideline speed is better utilized and we can take advantge of Ryans being able to do a lot more outside. I think Ryans will gettheextension he deserves but i think he should wait until after the draft and see what the team is going to look at LB.He might get the help he's deserved since being drafted.

Edit: You're worried about paying Cochran?

El Tejano
02-24-2009, 01:30 PM
Rick Smith needs to make some phone calls to keep contact with these guys and tell them chill. Agents like to put bugs in their ears because agents want to get paid too.

ArlingtonTexan
02-24-2009, 01:37 PM
I took the interview as very much "if you want to hear negative there you can find it." Otherwise it does not not sound much different than when i hear "regular" guys complain that their boss, who they know has a million other things going on, being too slow about doing a yearly evaluation even though there is still a month left before your anniversary date.

BTW, the interviewers were not very good and pushed the negative agenda a bit in my mind.

Htownsportsfan
I am not really upset with Demeco but I am growing a little tired of pro athletes behavior and attitudes. Its probably because I know so many folks who are having hard times and it just seems like bad timing. I know these guys have a right to earn all they can and need to think about the future. However, it used to be guys only wanting to redo contracts or get an extension with one year left, but now guys with two and three years left want theirs redone as well. To me Dunta is the first priority even though he has already been tagged. Can you imagine how pissed he would be after having the tag put on him we extend Ryans while he still has a year left. Its a shame that his attitude must be considered but it does. I heard aguy this morning question the Texans willingness to take care of the guys. I think thats crap! This team has not had many players worth worrying about in the past. We got AJ a long term deal as well as Winston and feel certain Ryans and Dunta will get theirs as well. These guys might be well served to to remember how the average American is doing right now and do their complaining in the down low. I am not saying they cant be unhappy but you should really know the audience you are complaining to and I dont think most folks want to hear it right now.

I have confidence that We will get deals done with Ryans and Dunta and everything will be fine down the road but I would be lying if I said it did not bother me to hear them complaining while the market drops, hope values plummett and unemployemnt rises. It just bad form!

b0ng
I think the coaches and the front office see something in DeMeco that makes them hesitant to lay out the big dollars for him right now.

What's weird, to me, is that Domanick Davis/Williams got a huge payday didn't he? And it was even in the year where he started having all the knee problems, right? That was part of Capers/Casserly's doings I think.

We don't have all the data. We might have some personal sentiments about a player, but that isn't the whole enchilada in terms of how a front office has to deal with things.

I think DeMeco played very strong his rookie year. After that, I have not been nearly as encouraged with his long-term viability.

I'll answer a question with a question: Don't you think, with our track record under Smithiak, that we could "hit" on another LB in the draft? I do.

Mario is freakish. He's a phenom in the truest sense. He started slowly, but he has improved each year in terms of (a)passion, (b)execution of what he's supposed to do, and (c)humility and a willingness to take correction (such as when he got a lecture on the dangers of drag racing). I don't see DeMeco flying to the ball like he used to. I see Mario flying to the ball more than DeMeco. I see Mario sprinting across the width of the field and chasing guys down on his own. And now I see DeMeco making his contract negotiations public, and actually ragging on the FO (in a way) for not getting a deal completed by now.

While DeMeco is "gifted," I don't see him as being "the franchise," nor do I see him being hard to replace. I think Diles and Adibi were doing great as LBs this season. I think we could grab a guy like Muluaga (sp?) from USC and make him our new DeMeco Ryans. Let him play out HIS rookie contract, and do the same thing 2-3 years from now.

I'm gellin' on how Smithiak is going about things. I had my doubts during this past season, but the off-season moves for coaching AND players has been pretty bold and pretty anti-Casserly. That's a GOOD thing, as my friend Martha would say.

Honestly, I just see Ryans as a player who will give you everything you want as an MLB and is tough enough to stay in the game and still play very well even when injured. I don't think LB's come around like him very often. I don't think you automatically get a guy like that if you pick him in the second (Smith didn't pick Ryans. Johnny Holland begged Kubes to take him).

He'll get paid, I widh he wouldn't air out his laundry on 790, but I'll overlook it. I still stand that he is underpaid for being what looks like a perrenial all-star at his spot.

Texecutioner
02-24-2009, 01:45 PM
LOL. I like it when people can call it like they see it.

There's no good that comes from a player doing this right after another teammate (especially on defense) has been tagged.

To me, the guy is piling on.

The players can think whatever they want about Rick Smith. It looks like we might finally have a GM who knows what he's doing.

I'm not really a Smith fan, but I do agree with you and Mailman. He is whining and piping off the wrong rhetoric right now and comes off as selfish to me. Him and Dunta both do. We've had all of the tough horrible seasons and we're finally at that point where we can turn the corner and possibly have that winning season and the team's finances are finally a lot better and our star players on defense are acting like babies when our defense was horrible last season. We really need to add some key pieces to this team right now as oppose to just trying to extend contracts to everyone right away. Why are they dog piling this, this way? We over paid with the franchise tag on Dunta and Demeco just needs to keep playing hard and he'll get rewarded. He should know that, and if not he shouldn't be saying stuff like this to the media.

Mailman
02-24-2009, 02:12 PM
Just for the sake of clarity, I agree that DeMeco is very underpaid and I can understand why he'd be miffed about not having an extension in place. He was drafted thirty picks before teammate Eric Winston in the same draft yet Winston got paid big money at the start of the 2008 season. The team tried to extend DeMeco but they couldn't reach an agreement. I'm confident they'll get him signed in the next few months, but DeMeco's loose-lipped criticism of the front office isn't helping anyone.

Callete pendejo! Te pagaran pronto.

Mailman
02-24-2009, 02:19 PM
Pardon the off-topic post, but I found this funny blurb from 2006 on Ryan's player page at RotoWorld.

DeMeco Ryans - LB - Texans Apr. 29 - 5:08 pm et

Texans selected Alabama LB DeMeco Ryans with the No. 33 pick in the NFL Draft.

Ryans enters a deep linebacker position and, though Ryans has great talent, we don't like the pick. WR Chad Jackson, T Eric Winston, and T Winston Justice would've all filled greater needs.

Smithiak > RotoWorld analysts

HoustonFrog
02-24-2009, 02:29 PM
I have not been as big of a fan of DeMeco as each season passes.

His rookie year was his best. Stats can be skewed, unless they are off-the-charts phenomenal. I don't dig out stats, so help me if I am wrong: Has DeMeco had a better season, each season, than the year before?

I know that in watching him in his rookie year, he seems to be wherever the ball was. He was in on the tackle no matter what. And he often was the first guy to the ball carrier. Everyone, even the commentators, were saying how crazy good he was playing his rookie year.

But since that year, I don't see him playing the same. He has an arm injury, which has to be a shoulder separation because he wears that anti-dislocation device (left arm, I think) like Clinton Portis wears. And I just don't see the same "zip" in DeMeco that I saw in his rookie year.

Granted, he might have been under-the-radar in his rookie year. And now offenses are gameplanning against him, and ball carriers are aware of where he's at (or gonna' be at).

Still, hearing him gripe about his contract...on the heels of Dunta making little comments...is irritating to me as a fan. As a fan, I had been feeling he was not giving 100% on each play like he did his rookie year. And now I read this from the man himself. What conclusions do I make? And even though my opinion doesn't matter to DeMeco, the same opinion might be held by the Texans coaching staff and management. Dude is a GIFTED player, don't get me wrong. I'm sure the coaches think that, too. But there's a draft every year. We hit on DeMeco in the draft. We can draft a LB in round 1 or 2 and replace his butt in no time at all.

Here's to hoping the Texans coaching staff and management do what's best for the future and NOT what's best for the short-term. I think that's why teams like the Steelers have done so well: They are always ahead of the game on the big decisions. They make the tough cuts at the right times, and just find a way to always look to the future.

Which is one reason I want to draft a LB and have him moved outside. No matter who says it doesn't, a guy his size will wear down dealing with the big uglies blocking him year in and year out. I still think he has the instinct and skill to play outside and rush if need be.

Shaft75
02-24-2009, 02:37 PM
I think that some of you are insane to say that Demeco hasn't earned a raise and a long term deal. He is everything you want in a MLB. He was the Defensive ROY, he has made it to the Pro Bowl, and he never comes off of the field.

The guy is a defensive captain. You don't ever let someone like that go. Pay the man and make him happy. We need him, especially when we are trying to build a top notch defense.

:d:

Polo
02-24-2009, 02:45 PM
I think that some of you are insane to say that Demeco hasn't earned a raise and a long term deal. He is everything you want in a MLB. He was the Defensive ROY, he has made it to the Pro Bowl, and he never comes off of the field.

The guy is a defensive captain. You don't ever let someone like that go. Pay the man and make him happy. We need him, especially when we are trying to build a top notch defense.

Agreed.

GP
02-24-2009, 02:59 PM
So now we're thinking Demeco isn't that good and we should just let him play out his contract? Sheesh, I've seen everything now. If you're already at that point, you might as well trade him for a very high draft pick while you can and his contract is low.

If anything what some of yall are talking about, Demeco's play "going downhill" each season. It's all the more reason why I've been saying Draft the Patrick Willis and move Demeco outside.. extend the kids career. Well, I got flamed for it. And Demeco's also been playing injured for the last two seasons. He's a fighter and a competitor and will always be out there. I love him for that, but how long are you willing to keep him like that? Okay now y'all can bring on the arguements "he could get those injuries anytime".

I'd add Maualuga if he's available at 15 if we're moving Demeco. If not go for Cushing or Matthews.

Demeco is a leader of the team. Who cares if he's not "the face of the franchise". He's a leader and you lock him up long term. Demeco would be a RFA in the uncapped year, all our young guys wouldn't be FA's. And we would have the use of 1 franchise tag and 2 transition tags. Those would only have to be used on actual FAs of ours too.

I think Rick Smith is just so busy right now. Demeco has got to understand this. This is the busiest time of year for Smith- preparing for the draft, trading players, looking at prospects (draft and free agency). I mean come on Demeco, just give the man some time and he'll make you priority #1 when you are priority #1 at that time. Right now there are bigger issues.

That's not a bad idea: Trade DeMeco and get another DeMeco in this year's draft. I'm not sure I fully buy into your theory that he's declined because there's nobody to help him. I think he might have burned his engine out a little bit in the first year. He was a buzz-saw, that's for sure. And he is still a very solid, top-tier LB. I agree with a lot of others who say we need to move him to the edge, and get a MLB...but I don't see DeMeco going for that idea.

I see a lot of fans (here) beginning to mature as the team matures. We used to lament the cuts of guys like Aaron Glenn, Jamie Sharper, and even one of my favorites JJ Moses. Now? I see us "OK" with dropping Mathis, and we're seemingly "OK" with dropping Jacoby Jones if that's what happens. Even from last year to this year, we seem to be more on-board with trading Sage away.

Why? Because Smithiak has done well in the draft. Heck, we didn't even have a 2nd rounder the past two years and we still did a good job IMO.

The days of STUPID Capers/Casserly drafts, as well as the absurd free agent contracts to guys who are mid-tier (at best) are over. We have a team of coaches and management who have done a great job in drafting talent. I think the 7th round has been spotty...but hey, it's the 7th round.

Trading DeMeco might be a good idea.

gtexan02
02-24-2009, 03:07 PM
Even without Capers and Casserly, the draft is a crapshoot. We just got lucky in 06. The 2007 draft proves my point, because Casserly wasn't even involved

Under no circumstance would I let Demeco go. The only reason his tackles are down is because:
a) We actually had some decent people around him getting tackles last season
b) He plays injured

Everyone wanting to get rid of OD and Demeco for draft picks needs to stick to being a GM on Madden

Shaft75
02-24-2009, 03:11 PM
Trading DeMeco might be a good idea.

GP? You do know that comments made in this forum are available for fans to read for eternity?

I completely and utterly disagree with that. Trading a team captain is moving backwards.

The Pencil Neck
02-24-2009, 03:15 PM

And now Kubiak has said he wouldn't be against moving Demeco outside in certain situations.

El Tejano
02-24-2009, 03:30 PM
So I'm a team that is badly needing a LB for my defense or is looking to upgrade my LB corp through this upcoming draft that is full of talent at LB. So far Maualuga and Cushing have come off the board and now my team has it's sights set on Matthews or Curry and now Curry just came off the board. I have the 19th pick and the 15th pick is coming up. I notice that the Texans don't like any of the DEs they said wanted because they are all gone and the other guys will be there in the 2nd. Then I noticed that they didn't resign their Pro Bowler LB and they've had a few injury bugs at that position over the course of the last two years and no real depth at that position. I better move up to get this guy or they will.

Sometimes, you got to leave bait out there to get some bites. That's all I am saying.

dalemurphy
02-24-2009, 03:33 PM

This is a huge issue. Under the uncapped rules, a player needs 6 years NFL experience to become an UFA. Next season, if uncapped, Demeco will be an ERFA (which means we own his as*) unless he's signed this year to an extension.

My guess is there's been some collusion on the part of the owners. The more players that are in this predicament, the more pressure the union leaders will be under to strike a deal.

Polo
02-24-2009, 03:35 PM
Sometimes, you got to leave bait out there to get some bites. That's all I am saying.

Sometimes bait is code word for crack.

Signed,

Hank from King of the Hill

GP
02-24-2009, 03:36 PM
GP? You do know that comments made in this forum are available for fans to read for eternity?

I completely and utterly disagree with that. Trading a team captain is moving backwards.

LOL.

Did I say I would DO it? I just said "That's a good idea..."

I don't call the shots for the Texans. Prolly a good thing!

El Tejano has a theory, but it's a long shot. I think coaches & management want to see what happens with DeMeco THIS season.

The guy's not un-touchable, OK? He's one of many.

infantrycak
02-24-2009, 03:39 PM
This is a huge issue. Under the uncapped rules, a player needs 6 years NFL experience to become an UFA. Next season, if uncapped, Demeco will be an ERFA (which means we own his as*) unless he's signed this year to an extension.

My guess is there's been some collusion on the part of the owners. The more players that are in this predicament, the more pressure the union leaders will be under to strike a deal.

Yup. Un-capped doesn't mean free for all. New rules kick in for free agency and a lot of players staring big pay-checks in the face will be riding tender offers.

Shaft75
02-24-2009, 10:29 PM
LOL.

Did I say I would DO it? I just said "That's a good idea..."

I don't call the shots for the Texans. Prolly a good thing!

El Tejano has a theory, but it's a long shot. I think coaches & management want to see what happens with DeMeco THIS season.

The guy's not un-touchable, OK? He's one of many.

The suggestion of it irks me. He has played his tail off at a high level since he stepped in Reliant. He is an overachiever and a man of good character. You don't let his type slip from your grasp.

On a sidenote, sorry for gushing man love. I just truly appreciate that type of player.

mexican_texan
02-24-2009, 10:58 PM
Kubiak and I think maybe Smith have gone on record as saying DeMeco was the #1 priority.

Mike Kerns
02-24-2009, 11:07 PM
Not that I dont think DeMeco deserves to get his due cash, it is just that with the way things are right now in America, the last thing I want to hear is an athlete whining about money.

That being said, I hope the team and DeMeco get it worked out...

dalemurphy
02-25-2009, 12:15 AM
The suggestion of it irks me. He has played his tail off at a high level since he stepped in Reliant. He is an overachiever and a man of good character. You don't let his type slip from your grasp.

On a sidenote, sorry for gushing man love. I just truly appreciate that type of player.

I'm sure Demeco and OD will be re-signed before the season gets going. I just think the Dunta franchise tag has stalled things until after the FA period. Apparently, we're going to make a run at some significant free agents and I think Smith and Olsen need to see how everything shakes out before they work out the larger extensions. Besides, with the uncapped year a growing likelihood, the team's bargaining position only gains strength as time passes.

Texans_Chick
02-25-2009, 12:47 AM
Bam:

Here's my mini-transcript of both the DeMeco and the Chester Pitts interview on 790 plus a few thoughts about the Ryans interview and why this is a weird year to negotiate:

http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2009/02/demeco_ryans_joins_dunta_robin.html

And I gave the TT forum credit because: 1. I didn't hear the interview until I saw it here; 2. I figure that those who slog through my blog posts are the sort of folks that might be interested in this place.

:texflag:

GP
02-25-2009, 07:27 AM

DeMeco is a great player. I am not downplaying his abilities.

I'm merely saying that if he's THAT concerned with how he's being treated by the front office, by blasting the front office in the media, then maybe he can get what he wants somewhere else...and we can get a draft pick for him.

We do well in the draft, so it's no big deal to me if DeMeco finds a new team who will make him their top priority. Otherwise, he should focus on playing and let his agent do the talking. My two cents.

"Not letting a player slip away" can be foolish in the long-term. I like the attitude that we're seeing from the front office. It actually resembles patient, calculated strategy. Not the shoot from the hip tactics of Capers/Casserly.

TimeKiller
02-25-2009, 08:12 AM
Frankly, this team only has 1 of the "once-in-a-while" type player. Andre Johnson, he's priority numero uno and he has his deal. Maybe if that what they (Dunta&Demeco) want they should be willing to give a little back to the team like THE LEADER OF THE TEAM did. Make it easier for the front office, they'll make it easier for you.

I'm not surprised to see a little of the frustration coming out of the defense. They know their own shortcomings so maybe the mediocre season, the losing faith all over again in Smith, seeing Smith get fired, etc, etc...adds up into a little ball of self-pity and we get a little backlash from it.

It's alright though Demeco...you see how many 59's show up to Reliant? They know who you are and what you're worth to the team. You'll get it when it's time.

Roughnecks
02-25-2009, 09:19 AM
First off I am a hugh fan of both D-ROB and D-RYANS but I do not want hear guys cry about money intill they get this team to at lease 9-7. The D was not good last year, what were they rank like 26 in the nfl and now you have the guys on that side of the ball complaining about their money news flash guys you were 8-8 last year. Tell you what rank in at lease the top 15 in total D and at lease 9-7 record than fine complain all you want about your cash but help this team to a winning record for the first time in our history. I guess these guys are not worried about getting help to become winners, it's just pay me. Sorry about the rant guys but for a team that has not had a winning record ever and by the way we should have last year if not for the choke job aginst the Raiders this just gets under my skin. I agree they should get payed but keep your mouth shut and handel it behind closed doors and prove it on the field.

GP
02-25-2009, 09:37 AM
First off I am a hugh fan of both D-ROB and D-RYANS but I do not want hear guys cry about money intill they get this team to at lease 9-7. The D was not good last year, what were they rank like 26 in the nfl and now you have the guys on that side of the ball complaining about their money news flash guys you were 8-8 and last year. Tell you what rank in at lease the top 15 in total D and at lease 9-7 record than fine complain all you want about your cash but help this team to a winning record for the first time in our history. I guess these guys are not worried about getting help to become winners, it's just pay me. Sorry about the rant guys but for a team that has not had a winning record ever and by the way we should have last year if not for the choke job aginst the Raiders this just gets under my skin. I agree they should get payed but keep your mouth shout and handel it behind closed doors and prove it on the field.

That's how I see it.

Good post, Roughnecks.

TEXANS84
02-25-2009, 01:39 PM
TC's post on the Chron made it to profootballtalk.com

Brando
02-25-2009, 02:09 PM

...and he plays hurt. That deserves a raise in itself.

Ryan
02-25-2009, 04:30 PM
I say pay the man his dues. He has very much earned them.

Texan JBZ
02-25-2009, 06:42 PM
DeMeco, just like Dunta, is going about getting this extension done in all the wrong ways. Going through the media with any gripes about what you're not getting paid when you're already getting paid (especially in this current economic climate) will only make you look bad. Does DeMeco really think that the FO is going to let him walk? Does he think he's not going to get paid? No way! So why say something that dumb on the radio when you know it's going to get out? Yeah DeMeco, way to help your contract negotiations.

Look, I'll say it again - I'm with these players getting the most possible money they can. Football careers are very short and very volatile, so I'm with them on wanting to get paid. But there are better ways to go about getting what you think deserve than running your damn mouth off to the media! Facts are facts - DeMeco and his defensive mates stunk as a unit last year. It looks as if the organization is moving forward with some of the moves they've been making to try and field a better defense around DeMeco. Hell, he even concedes that fact. So if the front office is cutting dead weight in order to make moves to field better players around DeMeco, why doesn't he just stfu and see what happens?

It's funny how these guys never say how much they are looking to get paid in the media. DeMeco wants an extension and the team has stalled on negotiations. Okay, why did they stall DeMeco? Where you asking for an unreasonable price, ala Dunta? Did they tell you they would handle you once they're finished with free agency and the draft, and that hurt your feelings? It had to be something. Hands down, DeMeco and Dunta are two of favorite Texans, but their both acting like two little bitches right now and I don't like it.

barrett
02-25-2009, 08:44 PM

I don't buy the conspiracy theory angle on this one. And I do think 911 .... anyway, If it were the case I don't think you would see anyone getting his. I'm curious how many guys in the NFL that would be FA's next year are going into their last year. Anybody bored enough to figure that out?

infantrycak
02-25-2009, 08:47 PM
I'm curious how many guys in the NFL that would be FA's next year are going into their last year. Anybody bored enough to figure that out?

There are some lists out there but they are wrong because they do not take into account the new rules that apply that extend the EFA and RFA rules out so it would be extremely tedious.