PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Sports caster of all Time?

Dread-Head
02-24-2009, 11:14 AM
Initially I was going to make this a poll, but lets me honest. There are too many talented sports casters to make a short list that would encompass everyone who deserved recognition. Does one include Madden and forget the imortal Harry Carey? Does Milo Hamilton get his due? Should we mention Calvin Murphy in the same breath with Marv Albert? Should Bob "Mr Baseball" Ueker get a nod while Joe Garragiola is ignored? Do we mention the Todd Christiansen in the same breath with "Dandy" Don Merridith?

Mine is still the LEGENDARY Mr. Howard Cossell. He had the worst toupee in the HISTORY of mankind!!! But come on. Would Monday Night Football have been the institution it was without him?

Who in YOUR opionion is the best Sportscaster of all time?

TimeKiller
02-24-2009, 11:22 AM
Gene Peterson for the serious answer...

Madden for the funny....

drewmar74
02-24-2009, 11:31 AM
http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/emmitt.jpg

StarStruck
02-24-2009, 01:07 PM
Howard Cosell

Texan_Bill
02-24-2009, 01:12 PM
http://blogs.suntimes.com/sportsprose/erinandrews.jpg

Okay, serious answer: Gene Elston than Gene Peterson.

ChampionTexan
02-24-2009, 01:19 PM
Mine is still the LEGENDARY Mr. Howard Cossell. He had the worst toupee in the HISTORY of mankind!!! But come on. Would Monday Night Football have been the institution it was without him?

Oh no he didn't (spoken in best Rosie Perez voice).

http://images.chron.com/blogs/txpotomac/Bud%20Adams.jpg

Dread-Head
02-24-2009, 01:38 PM

Okay...I want to see her....and Jeanie Kramer...give each other a BIG KISS...and make it a long on.

Dread-Head
02-24-2009, 01:40 PM
Oh no he didn't (spoken in best Rosie Perez voice).

http://images.chron.com/blogs/txpotomac/Bud%20Adams.jpg

I still contend he picked up that dead cat from Howard Cossell's yard....I mean "estate" sale.

WesmanTexanfan
02-24-2009, 01:44 PM
Jim Foley, Gene Peterson and Milo Hamilton.......

WWJD
02-24-2009, 02:16 PM
Don Meredith cause he was always funny.

Frank Gifford

gtexan02
02-24-2009, 02:17 PM
Foley and Peterson "How sweet it is"

4Texans
02-24-2009, 02:22 PM
Keith Jackson

Whooaaaa Nelllllyyyy........

Silver Oak
02-24-2009, 02:28 PM
Emmitt Smith-Master of the English Language.

nuff said.

Mari-OWNED!
02-24-2009, 02:42 PM
I'm growing really fond of Cris Collinsworth's commentating. (I'm probably the only one though...)

toronto
02-24-2009, 04:15 PM
Keith Jackson

Co-signed. Here is classic Keith...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTSvbv9uLlY

Mailman
02-24-2009, 07:40 PM
Vin Scully
Al Michaels
Bob Costas
Howard Cosell

infantrycak
02-24-2009, 07:46 PM
Loved Howard Cosell.

For current people, he may not be the most entertaining, but I think Aikman gives a better analysis than most.

Showtime100
02-24-2009, 07:53 PM
Aside from my Houston bias' I'll throw in Mike "Doc" Emrick knowing a lot of folks here might not know who he is. (Hockey announcer)

WesmanTexanfan
02-24-2009, 07:55 PM
no love for Joe Buck?

Showtime100
02-24-2009, 07:57 PM
no love for Joe Buck?

Great announcer, one of the best in history, but he spawned Jack Buck....lol.

Wolf
02-24-2009, 07:57 PM
I know I am in the minority here

I agree with Infantry about Aikman.

I think of tim McCarver kind of like Aikman when announcing games

or Joe Morgan.

and I might be thinking of tandems also

I admit to be biased, I liked Milo

Boris
02-24-2009, 08:03 PM
BEST OF ALL TIME: if they ever teamed Calvin Murphy & Charlie Pallilo

Cosell! to a Cosell scolding of "You're being extremely truculent," the defiant Ali replied, "Whatever 'truculent' means, if that's good, ...

Keith Jackson

loved him. Watching him call the 2006 Rose Bowl was almost as painful as the "boom goes the dynamite" sport anchor. A mixture of sadness, pity & "Jack Tripper" kind of awkwardness.

4Texans
02-24-2009, 08:11 PM
Co-signed. Here is classic Keith...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTSvbv9uLlY

Excellent! Rep for posting that...

Old School
02-24-2009, 08:14 PM
Mine has to be Cosell. I guess because he is the only one I remember when I was starting to watch football. He had a voice that no one can forget.

Speedy
02-24-2009, 09:12 PM
Great announcer, one of the best in history, but he spawned Jack Buck....lol.

You've got that backwards. Jack was the elder, now deceased. Joe Buck, the son, is NOT on my favs list.

Gene Elston
Gene Peterson
Jerry Trupiano

.....and Mark Vandermeer ain't bad.

Ron Franklin was good back in the day.

Nationally, Mel Allen, Vin Scully come to mind. I've always liked Al Michaels. Keith Jackson was good.

Gotta give Cosell props 'cause you always looked forward to the halftime highlights on MNF. Whether that was Cosell or the fact it was the only way you saw highlights of all the games back then, I don't know. Whatever the case, I couldn't wait.

awtysst
02-24-2009, 09:16 PM
Tony Kornheiser! Think about it. In order to be that bad you have to actually work at it!

Seriously though, I have always enjoyed Jim Deshais (sp) calling a Stros game.

Speedy
02-24-2009, 09:19 PM
Tony Kornheiser! Think about it. In order to be that bad you have to actually work at it!

Seriously though, I have always enjoyed Jim Deshais (sp) calling a Stros game.

Love Jimmy D.

And I'll tell you what. Sitting here watching the Rockets game, I'm really starting to like Bull.

Mailman
02-24-2009, 09:45 PM
Love Jimmy D.

And I'll tell you what. Sitting here watching the Rockets game, I'm really starting to like Bull.

What? Y'all actually get to watch Rockets games?

Showtime100
02-25-2009, 10:19 AM
You've got that backwards. Jack was the elder, now deceased. Joe Buck, the son, is NOT on my favs list.

Gene Elston
Gene Peterson
Jerry Trupiano

.....and Mark Vandermeer ain't bad.

Ron Franklin was good back in the day.

Nationally, Mel Allen, Vin Scully come to mind. I've always liked Al Michaels. Keith Jackson was good.

Gotta give Cosell props 'cause you always looked forward to the halftime highlights on MNF. Whether that was Cosell or the fact it was the only way you saw highlights of all the games back then, I don't know. Whatever the case, I couldn't wait.

[slaps head] You're right. I wasn't on my game yesterday obviously..lol. I don't believe what I just said...

Mailman: What? Y'all actually get to watch Rockets games?

Go to Justin.tv on gamenight and ignore the chatbox that comes with it. Usually a bad feed but the game is on at least.

Texan_Bill
02-25-2009, 10:28 AM

Okay, serious answer: Gene Elston than Gene Peterson.

Gene Elston
Gene Peterson
Jerry Trupiano

Crap!! That's who I missed, Jerry Trupiano. :gun:

I would like to add, as an honorable mention for her contribution to women in sports media: Anita Martini

stingray
02-25-2009, 10:33 AM
Hubie Brown..

Double Barrel
02-25-2009, 12:10 PM
Al Michaels

Texan_Bill
02-25-2009, 12:13 PM
Bill Walton and / or Brent Musberger :hides: :tomato: *ducks rocks and punches*

HoustonFrog
02-25-2009, 12:23 PM
TV:

Dandy Don Meredith
Pat Summerall
John Facenda(NFL Films "Voice of God")
Al Michaels

Radio:

Brad Sham--Probably the best at doing NFL games out there and a true pro. I'll listen to his broadcasts over the TV guys anyday.

hookinreds
02-25-2009, 01:29 PM
no love for Joe Buck?

Prison love. :mario2:

Whoops, saw Joe, read Jack...this one's for you Jack!

Dread-Head
02-25-2009, 01:31 PM
TV:

Dandy Don Meredith
Pat Summerall
John Facenda(NFL Films "Voice of God")
Al Michaels

Radio:

Brad Sham--Probably the best at doing NFL games out there and a true pro. I'll listen to his broadcasts over the TV guys anyday.

Were it not for Cossell, Don Meredith would have been just another ex QB from that team in north Texas. John Facenda is one of the alltime greats...but James Earl Jones is the "voice of God."

HoustonFrog
02-25-2009, 02:00 PM
Were it not for Cossell, Don Meredith would have been just another ex QB from that team in north Texas. John Facenda is one of the alltime greats...but James Earl Jones is the "voice of God."

That is so wrong. Cossell was a legend but he rubbed me the wrong way. You are wrong on Meredith. Just like Cossell he did things his own way and people were drawn to his funny and good ole boy nature just as much as they were drawn to Cossells brash ways. They helped each other but Meredith was his own person on that show..."turn out the lights.."

Polo
02-25-2009, 02:25 PM
I think my favorite would be Bill Warell(sp)...He's who I have the most sport memories with..

Dread-Head
02-25-2009, 03:23 PM
That is so wrong. Cossell was a legend but he rubbed me the wrong way. You are wrong on Meredith. Just like Cossell he did things his own way and people were drawn to his funny and good ole boy nature just as much as they were drawn to Cossells brash ways. They helped each other but Meredith was his own person on that show..."turn out the lights.."

I respectfully disagree. If Dandy Don was so great (and I actually like the guy) why did ABC wind up letting him go and keeping Frank Gifford? Shortly after Cossell left Don did as well. Mind you, I do miss the whole "Turn out the liiiiights....the party's over." thing that only Dandy Don could.

HoustonFrog
02-25-2009, 03:39 PM
I respectfully disagree. If Dandy Don was so great (and I actually like the guy) why did ABC wind up letting him go and keeping Frank Gifford? Shortly after Cossell left Don did as well. Mind you, I do miss the whole "Turn out the liiiiights....the party's over." thing that only Dandy Don could.

That wasn't really how it happened. He started at MNF in 1970, left to work with Curt Gowdy at NBC and then came back and worked with Frank and Cossell. He retired the year after Cossell...1984 or 1985.So it wasn't like they let him go. He had been there ahwile. He was one of their biggest draws in the heyday with Cossell. They played off each other.

texanskan
02-25-2009, 07:18 PM
Gene and Jim

Best right now imo Doug Collins Hubbie Brown

Al Michaels is good, not a fan of Buck at all

imatexan
02-25-2009, 08:18 PM
Has to be Clyde Drexler :gun:

Really: Milo!