PDA

View Full Version : CB Dre Bly

Big Poundcake
02-24-2009, 01:16 AM
I'm new to the board so I'm not sure if this has been discussed.

The Bronco's dumped this guy. He is 32, but he used to be an ELITE NFL CB.

Should/Do the Texans have any interest in him?

I think he has some game left.

The Pencil Neck
02-24-2009, 03:04 AM
There's a thread to talk about guys who've been released. Otherwise, you get a zillion threads and lots of duplications.

Dre Bly was a corner on one of the worst pass defenses in the league. You've got to figure that all the tread is off of those tires. If they sign him, then it should be at league minimum just to bring him in for a look-see.

HOU-TEX
02-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Bly = Overrated :)

bah007
02-24-2009, 12:41 PM
Sorry but Bly was never elite.

His coverage ability has always been average at best.

He does have WR hands though. Catches everything.

If you want a guy that will give up 12 TD's but get 6 INT's then he is your guy. I'm not interested though.

Big Poundcake
02-24-2009, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the responses. I haven't watched him play much, I was just going by what I heard. I understand what y'all are saying.

At the minimum though, I think it might be a good pickup.

Texecutioner
02-24-2009, 01:42 PM
I'd rather have him than Reeves, but that isn't saying much. I really don't want Reeves as the starter at all.

I don't think the Texans will get another corner though. I think they will stick it out one more season with Reeves on the other side of Robinson, unless Bennett steps up and plays better and takes the job. I hope we do get another CB, but I just don't see them doing that after that hefty contract that they gave to Reeves.

HOU-TEX
02-24-2009, 02:27 PM
I'd rather have him than Reeves, but that isn't saying much. I really don't want Reeves as the starter at all.

I don't think the Texans will get another corner though. I think they will stick it out one more season with Reeves on the other side of Robinson, unless Bennett steps up and plays better and takes the job. I hope we do get another CB, but I just don't see them doing that after that hefty contract that they gave to Reeves.

Nah, I'd take Reeves. Bly does not have the speed anymore (as if he ever did). Reeves has the speed to keep up with anybody.

We just have to hope the ball hits him in the head cuz he damn sure won't be able to locate it while in the air. :)

Texecutioner
02-24-2009, 02:34 PM
Nah, I'd take Reeves. Bly does not have the speed anymore (as if he ever did). Reeves has the speed to keep up with anybody.

We just have to hope the ball hits him in the head cuz he damn sure won't be able to locate it while in the air. :)

Reeves did improve more at the end of the season. That might have had to do more with the aggressive style of defense we were using with the blitz packages though. I like his speed and all, but geez the guy just seems to get caught out of position all the freaking time and his recovery skills are really poor.

You might be right that Bly isn't much of an upgrade though. I saw him get torched a lot the last two years as well. I'm really hoping more that Bennett can step it up this season and become the starter next to Dunta and put Reeves and Molden in the slot. Like I said before though, I doubt that the Texans will get another free agent CB in the off season. They won't want to pay all that money to Robinson, Reeves, and a new guy.

Hardcore Texan
02-24-2009, 02:36 PM
He's an ex-Bronco, I'm sure he's already on the plane headed down here. :pirate:

Htownsportsfan
02-24-2009, 02:39 PM
I'm new to the board so I'm not sure if this has been discussed.

The Bronco's dumped this guy. He is 32, but he used to be an ELITE NFL CB.
Should/Do the Texans have any interest in him?

I think he has some game left.

I used to be skinny and had a full head of hair! Time is a *****!

bah007
02-24-2009, 03:00 PM
If someone has any of his games over the last two years recorded for any reason you need to rewatch them and then tell us what you see from Bly.

If not, I will tell you what I see:

He has lost a step and he plays like he hasn't. He is too aggressive and gets beat like a drum on double moves. He always goes for the INT, even if he can't get it, which leads to a lot of completions that should have just been batted down.

IMO, he has always been overrated because he gets a lot of picks. He also gives up a lot of TD's. Way too many.