PDA

View Full Version : Texans to shop Jacoby Jones for a pick?

texanskan
02-23-2009, 11:31 PM
per Bob Allen ABC 13

"Texans are not happy with his attitude"

"Not gonna be one of their top 4 receivers"

What will it take to move him?

Ole Miss Texan
02-23-2009, 11:36 PM
Supply and demand. This draft is loaded with WR talent. He was selected in the 3rd round as a young, inexperienced WR with a lot of upside... he was a project. Doesn't look like we want to finish the project, will another team? If so what would they be willing to give up... 3rd, 4th, 5th?

There are some teams that could use WR help but I can't see Jacoby getting traded before draft day unless its for something low. Smart move for teams in need would be to see how the draft plays out. Maybe it could turn into a draft day trade... we should be talking to some teams at the Combine. If their WR gets selected and we see a player we want dropping maybe a deal gets done.

I'd be more than supportive of this. One thing's for sure... he's gonna make Kubiak grow some gray hairs if he stays around.

texanfan2002114
02-23-2009, 11:37 PM
According to Bob Allen on channel 13 tonight. He said that Jacoby Jones days are numbered and the Texans are looking to move him before the draft and get a draft pick for him. Bob Allen said they Texans are tired of his fumbling problem and his maturity. Also they know he won't break the top 4 WR on this team.

Sorry, no link to this. Like I said, I saw this on the news tonight.

dalemurphy
02-23-2009, 11:39 PM
According to Bob Allen on channel 13 tonight. He said that Jacoby Jones days are numbered and the Texans are looking to move him before the draft and get a draft pick for him. Bob Allen said they Texans are tired of his fumbling problem and his maturity. Also they know he won't break the top 4 WR on this team.

I'm mixed on this decision but I'm thrilled to see the team making moves and decisions with such conviction. It seems clear that they have an agenda and it's about to be worked out!

awtysst
02-23-2009, 11:39 PM
He is a really tough one to figure out. He can make a huge play and be great one day and then fumble the next. He is too streaky. Looking at what we could have done, there were not a lot of better options. The player I liked, Jason Hill hasn't done a whole lot in his nfl career, so...

rarazz00
02-23-2009, 11:40 PM
JJ had some very good moments, though he's had worse ones that overshadow his accomplishments...I do get tired of holding my breath when the opposing team punts the ball....:fans:

dalemurphy
02-23-2009, 11:41 PM
If they can get a 5th round pick for him in this deep of a draft, I'd consider that a reasonable deal. Boy, he and Jerome Mathis are really following similar career paths, huh.

dalemurphy
02-23-2009, 11:42 PM
JJ had some very good moments, though he's had worse ones that overshadow his accomplishments...I do get tired of holding my breath when the opposing team punts the ball....:fans:

Here's my chant that I yell over and over during every single punt return:

"don't fumble, don't fumble, don't fumble, don't fumble, hold on to it!"

TEXANS84
02-23-2009, 11:43 PM
Hmm...if he is traded....4 seats will open up in section 115 row A.

m5kwatts
02-23-2009, 11:44 PM
what did JJ do as of recently to warrant being traded? i dont see any reason to give up on a guy so young so soon unless another team was bowling us over with a trade offer of draft picks

imatexan
02-23-2009, 11:44 PM
I would miss the excitement every time he was about to return a kick:

Will he get a TD!?!?
or
Will he fumble it!?!?

dtran04
02-23-2009, 11:45 PM
Come on guys. It's clear now. They are for sure drafting Maclin. Can't believe nobody has made the connection.

:)

Buffi2
02-23-2009, 11:46 PM
I kept hoping JJ would grow up this year, but that doesn't appear to be happening any time soon. Really too bad - he had such promise. This is probably a pretty good move as with JJ, you just never know what you are going to get at any given punt. I got nervous every time he walked on the field.

Seņor Stan
02-23-2009, 11:47 PM

"don't fumble, don't fumble, don't fumble, hey where's JJs mama sittin' today, don't fumble, don't fumble, hold on to it!"

fixed it for you

awtysst
02-23-2009, 11:48 PM
what did JJ do as of recently to warrant being traded? i dont see any reason to give up on a guy so young so soon unless another team was bowling us over with a trade offer of draft picks

I can't tell if this is sarcastic, so I will treat it as if it is not. He is an all or nothing kind of returner: big return or dancing/fumbling. How many times have we cowered if there was a punt. I know I have been terrified of hom dropping the ball on the ground.

gtexan02
02-23-2009, 11:50 PM
Just to clarify things, how many fumbles did he actually have during the 2008 season? Im not talking bobbles or close calls, I'm talking actual fumbles. I dont see it listed on ESPN

Kimmy
02-23-2009, 11:50 PM
I'm mixed on this decision but I'm thrilled to see the team making moves and decisions with such conviction. It seems clear that they have an agenda and it's about to be worked out!

Me too, but it is a little scary! I almost feel like we are going backwards. I understand starting fresh, but when Im reading Sage, Weaver, Jones ... yikes!

They obviously have a plan that they are not sharing with us (the NERVE!), the cap money being freed up sure does make one wonder :thinking:

texanfan2002114
02-23-2009, 11:51 PM
I can't tell if this is sarcastic, so I will treat it as if it is not. He is an all or nothing kind of returner: big return or dancing/fumbling. How many times have we cowered if there was a punt. I know I have been terrified of hom dropping the ball on the ground.

I can't agree with you more!! He scares the hell out of me when he is back there as a punt returner and if he can't beat out a 7th round draft pick in David Anderson, then its time to move on!

awtysst
Come on guys. It's clear now. They are for sure drafting Maclin. Can't believe nobody has made the connection.

Can you say Quan Cosby in the 6th or 7th?!

Ole Miss Texan

If something goes down, Maclin's value definitely just skyrocketed for us. I really really want to solidify our Defense but I'd take the pick of Maclin. I heard he hyperextended his knee today. Is that true? If so, I don't know the longterm effects or recovery time but It sounds somewhat serious.

TEXANS84
Just to clarify things, how many fumbles did he actually have during the 2008 season? Im not talking bobbles or close calls, I'm talking actual fumbles. I dont see it listed on ESPN

At the minimum I would say 4 +

ArlingtonTexan
02-23-2009, 11:53 PM

It is probably more with what he is not doing or doing behind the scenes. He has went from a preseason hyped rookie who had a clear path to the number 2 job, to a KO returner who barely lines up at WR at all. Teams don't sour on a guy in a couple of years unless he gives them reason.

stingray
02-23-2009, 11:54 PM

2007- 2 fumbles/2 fumbles lost
2008- 4 fumbles/1 fumble lost

Texans34Life
02-23-2009, 11:57 PM

Man, he had such potential. I hope we can get something good in return for his immaturity and carelessness.

gtexan02
02-24-2009, 12:00 AM
Im going to go out and say I hope they keep him around. I dont know what hes like behind the scenes, but the guy obviously has potential. His immaturity and carelessness are what our coaches should be correcting.

Sometimes players just don't have what it takes. Jacoby obviously does, if he can get past the mental stuff. This reflects poorly on our coaching, in my opinion.

The guys cap figure this season is only 650,000, meaning we're only freeing up about 200,000 bucks in cap room by cutting him. He's not a hindrance to the team (as far as I can tell). Wait until preseason and see if a year of offseason gets him to grow up

dalemurphy
02-24-2009, 12:00 AM

Muffs are turnovers but don't count as fumbles. A muff is when a returner touches the ball but never gains control of it... The ball becomes live and the opposing team can recover but not advance the ball. I can count 4 oozing stomach ulcers that are direct results of his muffs. Ulcers aren't yet an official stat, by the way.

dalemurphy
02-24-2009, 12:02 AM
I love draft picks! I love draft picks! I love draft picks! I love draft picks! I love draft picks! I love draft picks!I love draft picks!I love draft picks!I love draft picks!I love draft picks!I love draft picks!I love draft picks!I love draft picks!I love draft picks!I love draft picks!I love draft picks!I love draft picks!

even though I love them, I'm not sure if they are one word or two? huh?

stingray
02-24-2009, 12:04 AM
Muffs are turnovers but don't count as fumbles. A muff is when a returner touches the ball but never gains control of it... The ball becomes live and the opposing team can recover but not advance the ball. I can count 4 oozing stomach ulcers that are direct results of his muffs. Ulcers aren't yet an official stat, by the way.

I dunno, I got the stats from yahoo..

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/8327/gamelog;_ylt=AnxpofD.VtEBJcCYVFK7JR7.uLYF?year=200 7

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/8327/gamelog;_ylt=AnxpofD.VtEBJcCYVFK7JR7.uLYF?year=200 8

ArlingtonTexan
02-24-2009, 12:07 AM
If they can get a 5th round pick for him in this deep of a draft, I'd consider that a reasonable deal. Boy, he and Jerome Mathis are really following similar career paths, huh.

If I were to guess he would garner a 6th or 7th conditional 2010 pick, anything more the Texans would be lucky. Remember the rest of the league is looking at the same draft we are.

Buffi2
02-24-2009, 12:09 AM
...His immaturity and carelessness are what our coaches should be correcting.

Sometimes players just don't have what it takes. Jacoby obviously does, if he can get past the mental stuff. This reflects poorly on our coaching, in my opinion.

The guys cap figure this season is only 650,000, meaning we're only freeing up about 200,000 bucks in cap room by cutting him. He's not a hindrance to the team (as far as I can tell). Wait until preseason and see if a year of offseason gets him to grow up

I don't have a problem waiting to see if he grows up since he does have potential. But, often, immaturity also translates into thinking you know better than anyone else which translates into uncoachable. Can't coach someone who won't listen and if that is, in fact, the problem then JJ should go.

Kaiser Toro
02-24-2009, 12:10 AM
Can you say Quan Cosby in the 6th or 7th?!

I sure can.

awtysst
02-24-2009, 12:11 AM
Im going to go out and say I hope they keep him around. I dont know what hes like behind the scenes, but the guy obviously has potential. His immaturity and carelessness are what our coaches should be correcting.

This also might be a situation where the team is trying to send a message to him. Get your head in the game or we cut you. His name is not AJ, DR, or MW. He is expendable or could be traded. He is simply not that special.

gtexan02
02-24-2009, 12:11 AM
Just for reference, Jacoby is 5th in the NFL in punt returns with an average of 12.1 yards per return. He was 3rd in the NFL with 2 punt returns for TDs.

stingray
02-24-2009, 12:13 AM
Just for reference, Jacoby is 5th in the NFL in punt returns with an average of 12.1 yards per return. He was 3rd in the NFL with 2 punt returns for TDs.

He probably won the miami game for us because he changed the momentum with his kickoff for a td. I think the Texans would have been dead in the water if not for that.

dalemurphy
02-24-2009, 12:19 AM
He probably won the miami game for us because he changed the momentum with his kickoff for a td. I think the Texans would have been dead in the water if not for that.

I think Weaver may have helped us beat Cleveland with an interception. For both of them I say, "thank you, and goodbye"!

Regarding JJ, I can certainly list some games he affected in a very detrimental way, starting with at Tennessee in '07!

Specnatz
02-24-2009, 12:22 AM
Me too, but it is a little scary! I almost feel like we are going backwards. I understand starting fresh, but when Im reading Sage, Weaver, Jones ... yikes!

They obviously have a plan that they are not sharing with us (the NERVE!), the cap money being freed up sure does make one wonder :thinking:

How is it going backwards when you get rid of Weaver who's production amounts to almost nothing since he has been here. Sage is not going to start and he is going to be unhappy being a backup so might as well get rid of him and get a pick. Jones is the question mark here. He has shown sparks but he has also shown that he lacks discipline and concentration.

TexanSam
02-24-2009, 12:23 AM
I see the pluses and minuses of keeping him or trading him. He's obviously got talent but will he ever be able to put it all together. All we see is snippets here and there and even then it's just as a punt/kick returner.

I won't be too disappointed if he's traded though. His fumbles/muffed catches got really annoying but I would miss the potential of him possibly scoring a TD anytime he gets the ball.

WesmanTexanfan
nm.....

eriadoc
I don't hope they trade JJ, and I don't hope they keep him. I just hope he does something to make them keep him. So far, I get the impression that all he's done is make them want to cut ties with him.

rarazz00
02-24-2009, 12:26 AM
Who's that quick cat out of Abilene Christian thats a WR...ran a 4.3 somethin' Sat....nice target to snag....:brando:

eriadoc
02-24-2009, 12:27 AM
Who's that quick cat out of Abilene Christian thats a WR...ran a 4.3 somethin' Sat....nice target to snag....:brando:

Johnny Knox, I believe. Awesome name, too.

m5kwatts
02-24-2009, 12:38 AM
the draft is full of speed receivers IE perfect replacements if a suitor for JJ was found i still dont think theyll deal him for anything less than a 4th but probly 3rd

Kimmy
02-24-2009, 12:39 AM
How is it going backwards when you get rid of Weaver who's production amounts to almost nothing since he has been here. Sage is not going to start and he is going to be unhappy being a backup so might as well get rid of him and get a pick. Jones is the question mark here. He has shown sparks but he has also shown that he lacks discipline and concentration.

Agreed on all points - what I meant was .... We will have a heavily loaded rookie and possibly FA field. Thats what scrares me a little, starting fresh... again. BUT I am glad they found their balls and using them instead of scratching them! :)

rarazz00
02-24-2009, 12:43 AM
Johnny Knox, I believe. Awesome name, too.

yeah...thats my Huckleberry, thanks eriadoc:fans:

mexican_texan
02-24-2009, 12:49 AM
I think we have his replacement already on the roster. Ladies and gents, meet Darnell Jenkins:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCWtizMV6Xc

Big Lou
02-24-2009, 12:53 AM

What are we, the Detroit Lions.......

I beg of Rick Smith Defense please, Defense!!!!!!!

DiehardChris
02-24-2009, 12:53 AM
I think we have his replacement already on the roster. Ladies and gents, meet Darnell Jenkins:

What he said.

If something goes down, Maclin's value definitely just skyrocketed for us. I really really want to solidify our Defense but I'd take the pick of Maclin. I heard he hyperextended his knee today. Is that true? If so, I don't know the longterm effects or recovery time but It sounds somewhat serious.

...and this has zero impact on Maclin's value to the Texans. We're talking about our #4 WR here! Jenkins can return and he couldn't do any WORSE than JJ as a WR - not to mention there will be late round draft options and UDFAs out there who can return.

JJ's value is very low because he has little to NO value as a WR... closer to "no."

Big Lou
02-24-2009, 12:54 AM
It is probably more with what he is not doing or doing behind the scenes. He has went from a preseason hyped rookie who had a clear path to the number 2 job, to a KO returner who barely lines up at WR at all. Teams don't sour on a guy in a couple of years unless he gives them reason.

Not to mention the DUI/DWI. That didn't go over to well.

dtran04
02-24-2009, 12:55 AM
Kubiak is really big on professionalism and "being a pro". He always talks about that aspect regarding players. He has never said anything of that nature about Jacoby. I think Jacoby enjoys the nightlife a little too much for their liking.

Big Lou
02-24-2009, 12:56 AM
I love draft picks! I love draft picks! I love draft picks! I love draft picks! I love draft picks! I love draft picks!I love draft picks!I love draft picks!I love draft picks!I love draft picks!I love draft picks!I love draft picks!I love draft picks!I love draft picks!I love draft picks!I love draft picks!I love draft picks!

even though I love them, I'm not sure if they are one word or two? huh?

Especially this year, it's one of the best classes in a while. I would have liked to have seen Weaver traded to a 3-4 Team, obvioulsey he would have had to restructure his contract.

It's uprising that the negative tone from the front office, it seems like it would affect trade value. Also they must be pretty determined if they let this get out the way they did.

hookinreds
02-24-2009, 01:02 AM
Hmm...if he is traded....4 seats will open up in section 115 row A.:spit:

Goldensilence
02-24-2009, 01:06 AM
Man our small school guys keep turning into meterorites. Starts our strong and with a flash then burn out and hit the ground. Really hope Molden doesn't follow suit.

Great PK/KR guy but little value to our squad other then that. Kubiak likes versativility and flexibilit especially with our roster spots. Don't think we'll get much for JJ if he really is on the trading block. Recent moves to me show the organization is turning around in a good way. Cut the fat on bad contracts and moving guys who aren't producing.

If Jacoby is or isn't moved I expect there to be some pretty intense competition for the third and fourth WR spot this year.

Mari-OWNED!
02-24-2009, 01:21 AM

I'm fine with Darnell replacing Jacoby, but I'd also like the Texans to take a look at Brandon Tate from UNC late in the draft. He was a sick return man, and also was turning out to be a good receiver his senior year. Sadly he tore his ACL to end his senior year early, otherwise he'd be a top wideout in this draft.

Once the 5th round starts rolling by, I'd want the Texans to at least consider him.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/brandon-tate?id=81306#player-profile-tab-set-1:player-profile-tab-analysis

mexican_texan
02-24-2009, 01:26 AM
I'm fine with Darnell replacing Jacoby, but I'd also like the Texans to take a look at Brandon Tate from UNC late in the draft. He was a sick return man, and also was turning out to be a good receiver his senior year. Sadly he tore his ACL to end his senior year early, otherwise he'd be a top wideout in this draft.

Once the 5th round starts rolling by, I'd want the Texans to at least consider him.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/brandon-tate?id=81306#player-profile-tab-set-1:player-profile-tab-analysis
A bit raw as a route-runner. Relies on his athletic ability in this area, rather than precise footwork. Lets too many passes get into his pads.

Haven't we been through this before?

Allstar
02-24-2009, 02:06 AM
The only way we're going to get a pick for him is if we appear as though we are going to otherwise keep him on the roster. No one will trade for a player that will get cut anyways.

Maddict5
02-24-2009, 02:32 AM
could be just trying to give him a wake up call ala kobe and bynum

The Pencil Neck
02-24-2009, 02:52 AM

And Jerome Mathis had been to a pro bowl as a punt returner.

Jacoby's spot is not safe. I'm surprised they're not giving him one more year, though. At least bring him into camp and explain the situation to him... unless they ALREADY explained the situation to him and he didn't get it.

Marcus
02-24-2009, 03:42 AM
Like someone else has said, I don't know what is going on behind the scenes.

But whatever it is, it's clearly something bad.

And stop blaming the coaches for everything. You get irritated that Kubiak calls them kids, but then turn right around and ***** because he's not pampering them.

When is the time to start holding players accountable?

PHAROAH
02-24-2009, 06:43 AM

Could be Maclin or Percy Harvin but one thing is evident the Texans have been talking to a lot of WR's at the senior bowl and at the combine workouts. The question that I have for you if we pass on DE in the 1st round then how do we fill that need for a starting LDE?

Grams
02-24-2009, 07:03 AM
I doubt they will take a receiver in the first round. That's sort of like taking a RB in the first round.

JJ - while it is fun to watch him run, it is scary to watch him catch the ball. If he has immaturity issues, let him go now. All one has to do is look at Pacman to see what immaturity does for a career/life.

They are probably talking to a lot of receivers for one in the 3/4th round or to make teams below them in the first think they are going to take one and want to trade up for more picks.

Htownsportsfan
02-24-2009, 08:20 AM

I will admit this is just scuttle but I have heard from LZ on 1560 and John McClain on 610 but I have heard JJ likes to spend his time out with his boys at the club and is not focused on football. The same sources say the Texans staff has tried to impress upon him that it he needed to be more focused which might help eliminate his mistakes but it looks like he wont listen. Sounds like a block head to me, another Mathis willing to lose his NFL career over a good time. Anyone know his Wonderlic score?:splits:

TimeKiller
02-24-2009, 08:26 AM
Trade? Muh....

This is a "your-career-isn't-going-so-well" move from the FO. Nobody is trading for this guy.

gtexan02
02-24-2009, 08:27 AM
And Jerome Mathis had been to a pro bowl as a punt returner.

Jacoby's spot is not safe. I'm surprised they're not giving him one more year, though. At least bring him into camp and explain the situation to him... unless they ALREADY explained the situation to him and he didn't get it.

Mathis couldn't get on the field, and was constantly fighting injuries.

JJ is a top 5 punt returner in the NFL. When you don't force many stops on defense, having a guy that can get you 12-15 yards on average is pretty helpful. It turns a booting 45-50 yard kick into a 30 yarder.

I may be nervous when JJ catches the ball back there, but so is the other team. Thats something I don't want to give up

Kaiser Toro
02-24-2009, 08:39 AM
Mathis couldn't get on the field, and was constantly fighting injuries.

JJ is a top 5 punt returner in the NFL. When you don't force many stops on defense, having a guy that can get you 12-15 yards on average is pretty helpful. It turns a booting 45-50 yard kick into a 30 yarder.

I may be nervous when JJ catches the ball back there, but so is the other team. Thats something I don't want to give up

We drafted him to be a WR, not a PR. He is taking up a roster position and if the rumors are true he is eating away at Kubiak's mantra of being a pro. I felt he was already on the chopping block last year, and would have no problem releasing him today. The NFL is not a club, it is a limited opportunity for only 1,500 or so folks.

GP
02-24-2009, 08:40 AM
per Bob Allen ABC 13

"Texans are not happy with his attitude"

"Not gonna be one of their top 4 receivers"

What will it take to move him?

Jacoby giveth and Jacoby taketh away. He can change the game by giving us great field position, and he can hurt us by fumbling or running backward. It's a 50-50 deal with him, and you hold your breath in the "bad way" just as much as you hold your breath in the "good way."

He's not going to crack the top 3 or 4 WR roster spots. I agree with that.

I'm good with this move. He has value, we can get a draft pick for him.

Kaiser Toro
02-24-2009, 08:43 AM
Jacoby giveth and Jacoby taketh away. He can change the game by giving us great field position, and he can hurt us by fumbling or running backward. It's a 50-50 deal with him, and you hold your breath in the "bad way" just as much as you hold your breath in the "good way."

Yep, 50/50 = 8-8. We do not need any more 50/50 players, especially those that are on an island and only are good enough to do one job.

Malloy
02-24-2009, 08:45 AM

My chant usually end with, CRAP, not again! :I

MannyFresh
02-24-2009, 08:46 AM

You mean that little "bunny hop" he does?

Thorn
02-24-2009, 08:47 AM
He's been in the NFL for to long to still have fumble problems. Let him go and see what we can get for him. I'd rather have an ordinary punt returner that manages to catch the ball and get us upfield a few yards than someone who makes you nervious every time he's on the field.

Sorry JJ, I really had high hopes for ya.

Ole Miss Texan
02-24-2009, 09:14 AM

Yup... I'll tell ya what. I'm tired as hell of "puckering up" everytime he's back to return a punt.

Errant Hothy
02-24-2009, 09:42 AM
I think what's more damning for JJ then his inability to field a punt, was the fact that he could not got in the game as a reciever...at all.

With only 53 roster spots, there is little room for specialists outside of kicker, punter and longsnapper. If your return men cannot contribute in other areas then they effectivly become a wasted roster spot.

Remember all the hype surronding JJ his rookie year? Wasn't their a grass roots movement to have the Texans make his jersey available for sale?

MannyFresh
02-24-2009, 09:49 AM
I guess Momma won't be waiting for him in the stands much longer.

Polo
02-24-2009, 09:56 AM
I honestly don't have a problem with a guy that is basically designated to only do punt/kick returns...

But that returner needs to be damn good and focused when it comes to those duties. I would have no problem with a Dontae Hall type of player...or someone close to that caliber...

Jacoby is no good if he can't be depended on. We can't afford to have him in games in crucial moments because he can't hold onto the ball. If some team short on recievers wants to grab Jacoby and try to make him blossom then I say deal him and don't look back.

SheTexan
02-24-2009, 10:01 AM
I guess Momma won't be waiting for him in the stands much longer.

I have no problem with JJ acknowledging his Mom. In fact, I think it's a nice and respectful thing to do. BUT, the BOY needs to become a MAN and accept responsibility for his actions, on and off the field. Mama needs to give that BOY a good talk!!

Personally, I wouldn't care if they let him go, I WANT those seats his Mama has, even though 84 did give the wrong info. I KNOW where they are. :):shetexan:

HoustonFrog
02-24-2009, 10:05 AM
Yep, 50/50 = 8-8. We do not need any more 50/50 players, especially those that are on an island and only are good enough to do one job.

That is well said. I've been beating that drum for a bit. You can't keep the same players, doing the same thing and all of a sudden expect an upgrade. There has always been this freaky loyalty here to players who have never shown they are consistent enough. We know many of them are gone now. I like the direction of Kubiak and Smith. They seem tired of standing pat and playing scared and they want to get some picks and people in here that they trust in the system.

GP
02-24-2009, 10:13 AM

I remember how we tried to get him invoved in the slot, early on, in some preseason games in his rookie year. Then he had the injury(ies) andtime passed him by.

Now, he gets in there at WR only occasionally. The nice thing is that he actually made some nice catches (one of them, he reached behind his back while crossing the middle. A few deep catches, too). The bad thing is that we have a pretty talented and consistent (and good-natured) set of WRs in AJ, Davis, Walter, Anderson, and a TE who plays like a WR.

Maybe we're seeing why Jacoby was not at one of the large colleges, and it might have more to do with his attitude than anything else. The guy still cannot run with the ball tucked away. That's the single-most ELEMENTARY rule of football. Isn't it? And he still can't do it.

JJ Moses didn't take returns to the house, but IIRC he put the ball on the ground ONE time...and he recovered it. He would get us about 10 yards or so. He was consistent. No heart palpations when you watched him. And the guy would sometimes break off a decent return, usually getting caught from behind.

We have to have THAT kind of return guy, and Andre Davis gives us that: But with the bonus of speed. IIRC, we paid Andre Davis pretty well. For what we paid him, he can return kicks, IMO, in addition to his receiving duties.

Cjeremy635
02-24-2009, 10:14 AM
I really don't know how I feel about this one. JJ has "potential", and I use that word loosely, but he really makes me nervous. I don't think he'll ever make it as a #2 receiver, maybe a #3 on another team. He makes a lot of boneheaded plays and decisions, but it's the few awesome plays that really make you pull for the guy. When he's back there on a punt return, I can't help but hold my breath and expect the worst, but then he pulls something out of his arse and he's off to the races and pointing at momma in the stands. I guess if we get a fair offer, we should take it.

Hooston Texan
02-24-2009, 10:26 AM
A team like ours with a strong offense and a shaky defense must have a reliable guy fielding punts. With this team, I'd gladly sacrifice big return plays for the knowledge that when the other team punts it, we're going to catch it.

Our offense proved last year that it can march the length of the field on just about anyone without much help from the defense and/or special teams. But they can't do it standing on the sideline. In the same vein, our defense really struggled getting off the field--it is a must to ensure that when they do force the occasional punt, they are not compelled to go immediately back out there. If we were the Ravens, I could take a chance on a big-play, big-risk guy like JJ because the offense doesn't score much and the defense is good enough to minimize the impact of a turnover.

If, say, Frank Okam is the most reliable punt-catcher the Texans have, he should be the guy back there. JJ is a great return talent, but I'd rather have reliability over explosion at that position.

Hervoyel
02-24-2009, 10:28 AM
JJ has absolutely no value whatsoever. Anyone willing to offer the Texans anything for Jacoby Jones should be taken advantage of before they come to their senses. This is not personal or hating on JJ, it's just the way it is. You can replace him with almost no effort whatsoever. He's fast (dime a dozen), can barely hang on to the ball (dime a dozen), and only gets open when the defender screws up (dime a dozen). When he is open he's as likely to catch the ball as he is to drop it. Jacoby didn't pan out (and to make matters worse he was taken way too high). No big deal, neither did Jerome Mathis in the long run. Neither did Jermaine Lewis when we took him in the expansion draft back in the day. This position is a revolving door and always will be. If a guy fills this spot and "pans out" he'll eventually work his way into the receiving rotation and (hopefully) become too valuable to use back there.

We'll always be looking for our next great punt and/or kick returner just like everybody else in the NFL.

HOU-TEX
02-24-2009, 11:27 AM
By George, if Bob Allen says it then it must be true. :spy:

JK

False Start
02-24-2009, 11:53 AM
If we can pull off a trade and get a draft pick for JJ then hell yeah! The more picks the better. Its not like he is an elite return guy, he can be easily replaced.

El Tejano
02-24-2009, 12:01 PM

God I hope not. The dude gets injured easily and he even hurt himself at the combine.

BigBull17
02-24-2009, 12:45 PM
God I hope not. The dude gets injured easily and he even hurt himself at the combine.

Word. However, with all the speed at the Combine, he becomes a little expendable. Robiski looked VERY good.

Big Poundcake
02-24-2009, 12:50 PM
Maclin does have that extra gear of FAST though.

GP
02-24-2009, 12:53 PM
JJ has absolutely no value whatsoever. Anyone willing to offer the Texans anything for Jacoby Jones should be taken advantage of before they come to their senses. This is not personal or hating on JJ, it's just the way it is. You can replace him with almost no effort whatsoever. He's fast (dime a dozen), can barely hang on to the ball (dime a dozen), and only gets open when the defender screws up (dime a dozen). When he is open he's as likely to catch the ball as he is to drop it. Jacoby didn't pan out (and to make matters worse he was taken way too high). No big deal, neither did Jerome Mathis in the long run. Neither did Jermaine Lewis when we took him in the expansion draft back in the day. This position is a revolving door and always will be. If a guy fills this spot and "pans out" he'll eventually work his way into the receiving rotation and (hopefully) become too valuable to use back there.

We'll always be looking for our next great punt and/or kick returner just like everybody else in the NFL.

Well said.

I think our return game has as much to do with our entire special teams SQUAD, and Joe Marciano's skills as a coach, than it has to do with the guy returning the ball.

Like I said: JJ Moses didn't take it to the house on returns, but he was as sure-handed as they get. We're in a position, IMO, to place RETAINING possession of the football over the big-play-ability of Jacoby Jones or any other athlete that, as Herv said, is in a revolving door roster position.

This offense is finally good enough to go the length of the field, or start off on our own 30 or 40 or midfield, and score TDs. I have found myself actually rooting for Jacoby to just tuck the ball away rather than him even trying to make something happen.

Be honest with yourselves: Even when he's breaking off a big run, and you're watching it develop before your very eyes, aren't you zooming in on how he's carrying the ball? Aren't you muttering (or even screaming!) for him to look out for the guys behind him who are chopping at his arms? I am.

This is an easier decision than trading Sage Rosenfels, IMO.

Teams see Jacoby's raw athleticism, like Kubiak did, and they are attracted to it like the fumes of airplane glue. As Herv said: Take the trade and RUN!

El Tejano
02-24-2009, 12:54 PM

So did Jerome Mathis. Speed is pretty slow when you can't play.

GP
02-24-2009, 12:54 PM

The dude from Rutgers impresses me more than anybody.

Texecutioner
02-24-2009, 01:22 PM
I never understood how so many people still thought that JJ was going to be some great WR after his rookie year where he didn't do anything or show any real potential. All he did was make some big plays in pre season against a bunch of 2nd teamers and 3rd stringers. There are always certain guys that look like studs in pre season.

Like I've said since last off season the guy is Jerome Mathis 2.0.

El Tejano
02-24-2009, 01:29 PM
Dear fans,

I can play some special teams. I even return punts and kickoffs well after backing up our boy Steve Super Sport Slaton or Speed as we always call him.

Signed,

Ryan Moats

TEXANRED
02-24-2009, 02:53 PM
There is no way we get any compensation for JJ. If a team is really interested in JJ they will just wait for us to cut him. Right now, he is a waste of a roster spot.

And the fat continues to get trimmed.

J-Russ
02-24-2009, 03:04 PM
Why give up a pick when you can get him when he's cut?

I don't see us getting a pick for an unproven, undisciplined, and immature player like Jacoby. It's too bad that he had a fall out with the team, I like the kid too. At least as a player.

Ole Miss Texan
02-24-2009, 03:07 PM
There is no way we get any compensation for JJ. If a team is really interested in JJ they will just wait for us to cut him. Right now, he is a waste of a roster spot.

And the fat continues to get trimmed.

I don't see us getting a pick for an unproven, undisciplined, and immature player like Jacoby. It's too bad that he had a fall out with the team, I like the kid too. At least as a player.

Y'all both could be 100% correct. But it's the same reason you draft Alex Brink in the 7th round when he would have most certainly gone undrafted. You trade a late round pick for him so that your team has him. Once he hits the open market, he's free to sign to any team giving him an offer. Make up a draft pick (6th?) and it could be worth it for a certain team if they want him.

Specnatz
02-24-2009, 03:39 PM

The reason you do that is so you know you get him. If he is a FA he can sign with anyone that includes not signing with you and if it is a low round pick and you think you can maximize his potential you do the trade.

Texecutioner
02-24-2009, 04:06 PM
I think teams will offer something for him. He is extremely athletic and certain people out there will love his potential. You have to remember that every team hasn't watched every play of his as much as we have and might think that the Texans just don't know what to do with him, or won't be able to get over the fact that Hester had so much success and feel like Jones could be a poor man's Hester or like the guy from the Browns. All it takes is one team to think this way, and I could see us getting a possible 5th rounder for him.

The Pencil Neck
02-24-2009, 04:12 PM
I think teams will offer something for him. He is extremely athletic and certain people out there will love his potential. You have to remember that every team hasn't watched every play of his as much as we have and might think that the Texans just don't know what to do with him, or won't be able to get over the fact that Hester had so much success and feel like Jones could be a poor man's Hester or like the guy from the Browns. All it takes is one team to think this way, and I could see us getting a possible 5th rounder for him.

Raiders.

Nuff said.

Pantherstang84
02-24-2009, 04:13 PM
Raiders.

Nuff said.

Absolutely. Give it up for Crazy Al.

Texecutioner
02-24-2009, 04:45 PM
Raiders.

Nuff said.

I could see more than the Raiders having interest actually. What did he get like 2 or was it 3 returns last season off of punts and kicks? Teams now days are putting a lot more stock in a good returner and they just might look at those TD returns and think he can get like 3 for next season possibly. He is still very young and has only been in the league for two years, so there might be a few coaches or GM's that think Jacoby has the potential. I''m just glad that he'll be off the team and people will stop talking about how great he is going to be finally. I never really bought into the guy actually, because he seemed to think he was a superstar player just after that pre season. He hasn't ever been a good consistent returner either that gets great field position on a regular basis. He is either hitting the HR or going nowhere.

BuffaloglennTX
02-24-2009, 05:34 PM
Just to be clear, JJ only returned punts. Andre Davis returned kickoffs except for the few games he missed after having surgery on his dislocated finger. If the Texans defense improves, the need for "big plays" on special teams goes down, as our offense has moved the ball well, generally speaking. I think JJ will get cut in camp.

Koolaid Time
02-25-2009, 05:41 AM
Rice's Jarett Dillard will be available in the 4th Round.

JamesC
02-25-2009, 05:47 AM

Dillard is a guy I want the Texans to draft. Not necessarily as a return man though. He has great hands and is a good route runner.

HOU-TEX
02-25-2009, 09:58 AM

Well, the dude could probably jump out of Reliant if he wanted to. 42.5 vertical with a 10'9" broad's pretty impressive.

This just goes to show there's probably a couple dozen Jacoby's in this draft. Why would a team spend a pick on JJ when they can take one late in the draft? One that doesn't come with fumblitis and "I want my Momma".

But hey, here's to hoping a team Al Davis' a draft pick. :)

El Tejano
02-25-2009, 11:10 AM

I've been screaming about this kid since I saw him play against Texas. What a great post.

TimeKiller
02-25-2009, 12:19 PM
Dillard is a guy I want the Texans to draft. Not necessarily as a return man though. He has great hands and is a good route runner.

We already have that guy though, David Anderson. Jacoby has every tool (except one, apparently) to be a star wideout size, speed, juke moves...he just can't put it together without the hands. If we're looking to replace a reciever let's replace Jacoby because David Anderson does what he is asked to do.

BigBull17
02-25-2009, 12:39 PM
We already have that guy though, David Anderson. Jacoby has every tool (except one, apparently) to be a star wideout size, speed, juke moves...he just can't put it together without the hands. If we're looking to replace a reciever let's replace Jacoby because David Anderson does what he is asked to do.

I would like a slot type guy with a little more burst than Anderson has. I like him and all, but a little more quicks.

J-Russ
02-25-2009, 01:32 PM
I don't think we need to draft a WR in the high or even the middle rounds. Our two star receivers are both just 27 and is now just entering their prime, while our third guy(AJ's insurance) is just 29. Plus we have Anderson, who is already competing with Davis for the slot receiver position.

I would like to draft a speedy receiver(or def. back) that has some PR experience in college, to keep our ST explosive and dangerous. Though, I wouldn't touch a receiver til the 5th round or below. We still have C, RG, LB, S, DE, RB, and possibly back-up QB position that needs to be filled, more so then getting another receiver who would be 5th in the depth chart.

Goldensilence
02-25-2009, 01:47 PM

I like David Anderson's Hands and route running ability. Problem is his footspeed.

TexanDave
02-25-2009, 03:49 PM
I love JJ and his potential but he scares me back there returning punts. I was afraid of a fumble every time. The thing that even keeps me from saying good riddance is the fact that he scared opposing teams too because of his threat to return any punt for a touchdown.