PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of all these teams switching to a 3-4?

TheRealJoker
02-23-2009, 07:23 PM
With all the DE/OLB hybrids coming out along with the Steelers/Ravens again showing what a proper 3-4 defense looks like it seems everyone and their mother wants to switch to a 3-4. Problem is I dont think there's enough NTs to go around. The 3-4 begins and ends with a dominant NT, I think one of them is going to get that with BJ Raji, but the rest are gonna have to hope and prey they hit big in the draft or FA.

Ole Miss Texan
02-23-2009, 07:25 PM
With all the DE/OLB hybrids coming out along with the Steelers/Ravens again showing what a proper 3-4 defense looks like it seems everyone and their mother wants to switch to a 3-4. Problem is I dont think there's enough NTs to go around. The 3-4 begins and ends with a dominant NT, I think one of them is going to get that with BJ Raji, but the rest are gonna have to hope and prey they hit big in the draft or FA.

I wouldn't be surprised if next year or the year after is a big draft on 4-3 DEs. Then all these teams' fans will be thinking "what if we switch back to a 3-4!?"

bah007
02-23-2009, 07:29 PM
There are always trends in football. Always have been and always will be. People see a good idea and take it and try to put their own spin on it and see how it works.

A couple of years ago Tampa was killing people with the cover 2 scheme they use and so half the league tried to adapt their defense to that scheme.

In college football a few select teams ran the spread to perfection and now half of college football uses it.

These days in the NFL the trendy things are the "Wildcat" offense and the 34 zone blitz defense.

And in a few years it will be something else.

Goldensilence
02-23-2009, 07:51 PM
For every Steelers and Ravens 3-4 there is a Cleveland and San Fran. Gotta know the right personnel and how to utilize them.

My curiousity is if you are having trouble running(or matching personnell for) a base 4-3 why switch to a much more difficult to operate defense?

To me that like like a teen having trouble driving a automatic transmission car and then you thinking it's a great idea for them to try driving standard.

nunusguy
02-23-2009, 08:28 PM
I think the 3-4 is superior because its easier to staff than the 4-3: not as difficult to find ''tweener'' OLBs as 4-3 DEs or 3-4 run stuffers vs the 300 lb penetrating one-gapper DTs.
I regretted that Kubiak didn't retain the system when he came here subject to what his DC wanted to use. What difference did it make to Kubiak, he's an offensive coach ?

Jackie Chiles
02-23-2009, 08:55 PM
I think the 3-4 is superior because its easier to staff than the 4-3: not as difficult to find ''tweener'' OLBs as 4-3 DEs or 3-4 run stuffers vs the 300 lb penetrating one-gapper DTs.
I regretted that Kubiak didn't retain the system when he came here subject to what his DC wanted to use. What difference did it make to Kubiak, he's an offensive coach ?

With Mario though we really have a leg up on most 4-3 teams. We need another true end but we have one prototype. Hey, maybe if enough teams keep switching to the 3-4 it will be the true 4-3 ends that slip through the cracks, hah.

The1ApplePie
02-23-2009, 09:26 PM
Dom Capers Texans is a great example of how a 3-4 fails

You need an elite NT and an elite FS or SS to make it work before anything else.

Drafting Wilfork instead of Robinson could have done wonders

WesmanTexanfan
02-23-2009, 09:41 PM

I think It will eventualy be the norm in Pro Football, Athletes are getting bigger and faster and when you have guys that are that flexible youd be pretty dumb to not take advantage of that talent...

They call it a 3-4, but really its a mix of the 2. Why play one when you can play both.....