PDA

View Full Version : Article: "Houston Texans: The New Cardinals?"

marv800
02-23-2009, 02:15 PM
I found this somewhat interesting if not amusing:

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/02/23/houston-texans-are-they-the-new-arizona-cardinals/

Because the NFL season never ends, we present our 2009 Offseason Roadmaps for front offices to navigate through the summer.

How many years were the Arizona Cardinals picked to finally have their breakout year? It seems like they were the dark horse pick to have a playoff run every offseason. But since they went to the Super Bowl last year, they can't be that sneaky hot team any more.

Maybe the Texans take over that spot. Their franchise has never had a winning season, and the last two 8-8 seasons have only resulted in higher expectations. Houston's offense ranks about the same as the Cardinal offense, their special teams is better and their defense worse. The Texans are trying to fix that bad defense by replacing a number of coaches on that side of the ball.

Coach Gary Kubiak was able to make big improvements on offense right away when he was hired after a disastrous 2005 season, but the defense -- among the worst in the league over the last four years (and they still ended up 8-8 for two of those years???!) -- has been more of a challenge. Schemes and coaching aside, at some point they just need more playmakers on that side of the ball.

The Texans want to build through the draft, but part of the issue with the defense is all the experiments with personnel and the youth of most of the unit's players. They need more leadership, identity, and smart play on defense, and that is hard to fix quickly with the draft.

It probably doesn't help that their most vocal leader Dunta Robinson wants a really high-dollar long-term contract, isn't happy with the team right now, and is coming off serious leg injuries. They want to keep such leadership but the price might be something that ends up hurting the team.

Free Agents of Note: David Anderson (RFA), Rashad Butler (RFA), Earl Cochran (RFA), Owen Daniels (RFA), Stanley McGlover (RFA), CC Brown (UFA), Nick Ferguson (UFA), man of size Scott Jackson (UFA), Bryan Pittman (UFA), Cecil Sapp (UFA), Chris White (UFA), Eugene Wilson (UFA), Dunta Robinson (UFA -- franchised). Entire Texans free agent list here.

Draft Picks: 1 (15), 2 (14), 3 (13), 4 (12), 5 (16), 6 (15), 7 (14).

Needs

1. A Pass Rush. The Texans need a bookend pass-rusher across from Mario Williams. Williams gets his sacks, but the pass rush is him and Mr. Nobody. They actually need run-stopping defensive tackles but may need to hope on further development of Amobi Okoye and Frank Okam.

2. Linebacker. Middle linebacker DeMeco Ryans needs some help. It has been a revolving door at linebacker other than him, and the Texans have finally rid themselves of the financial and on-field liability that was Morlon Greenwood. Kubiak said recently that he values Ryans being in the middle but that would not stop the Texans from picking an athletic linebacker from the draft who is projected for the middle.

3. BPA Defense. Actually, the Texans could take best player available at just about any defensive position and get an upgrade. Some key quality free agents would help with the youth of the defense and help develop the young players they have. The best players on defense are young and have had few experienced, quality mentors to show them how it is done. Ultimately, part of the difficulty of evaluating needs is figuring out how much of what was seen on the field was player-related and how much was the musical chairs of players and defensive game planning.

4. Running Back. The Texans were extremely fortunate that rookie Steve Slaton was able to hold up down the stretch because the Ahman Green-less depth chart by that time of the season was very thin. I think the Texans will want to get a number of running backs to replenish the roster. I see Kubiak looking at a number of experienced backs through free agency and also drafting a back. The Texans offense had a taste of what their running game could be with a quality back and an offensive line that stayed together for a season, and I think they want to add to that.

gtexan02
02-23-2009, 02:19 PM
Pretty spot on.

marv800
02-23-2009, 02:21 PM
Pretty spot on.

They seriously underestimate the potency of our offense.

TEXANS84
02-23-2009, 02:22 PM
They seriously underestimate the potency of our offense.

The article above was written by Stephanie Stradley (TexansChick) of this message board.

marv800
02-23-2009, 02:26 PM
The article above was written by Stephanie Stradley (TexansChick) of this message board.

Well why would she sell us short like that? We are clearly in a position to dominate our division with Indy aging, Jax faltering, and the Oilers imploding internally.

The Texans need to just DECIDE TO WIN.

gtexan02
02-23-2009, 02:30 PM
Well why would she sell us short like that? We are clearly in a position to dominate our division with Indy aging, Jax faltering, and the Oilers imploding internally.

Why do you think she underestimates our offense? She equates us to Arizona, which is more than fair

TEXANS84
02-23-2009, 02:30 PM

I'm sure she will be on here shortly to answer that herself.

4Texans
02-23-2009, 02:33 PM

Beat me to it.......

Errant Hothy
02-23-2009, 02:36 PM

If it comes to a fight, I've got 20 on Steph.

:wild:

DBCooper
02-23-2009, 02:38 PM

Maybe because she has good football instincts?

And please never call the Possums the Oilers again.

Errant Hothy
02-23-2009, 02:45 PM
Maybe because she has good football instincts?

And please never call the Possums the Oilers again.

Please tell me he didn't do that?

GlassHalfFull
02-23-2009, 02:51 PM
Interesting slightly related side note from yesterday. I can't remember how we got on this topic, but Eric Winston was telling me yesterday how much deeper the Texans are now than when he first got there. He said he didn't realize just how thin they were, until they got some depth the past two years.

PHAROAH
02-23-2009, 03:17 PM
Pretty accurate it all depends on what we do in free agency.

Sal Rosenberg
02-23-2009, 03:20 PM
Who is availe in the draft that is a run stopping DT?Is Peria Jerry a run stopping DT?Who cares!Draft him .

Ole Miss Texan
02-23-2009, 03:30 PM
Who is availe in the draft that is a run stopping DT?Is Peria Jerry a run stopping DT?Who cares!Draft him .

LOL, yea we both like this guy! I've even read a scouting report that thinks he would actually be best if he were to slim down, get in better shape and play 4-3 DE. This really got me thinking.

I was like, "yay, finally someone has a great touch on the Texans on the internet!!" Low and behold it was TC. Well, I guess she's still the only one.

gtexan02
02-23-2009, 03:31 PM
DT is such a hard position to fill. I read online that there are more busts in first round DTs than any other position.

badboy
02-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Who is availe in the draft that is a run stopping DT?Is Peria Jerry a run stopping DT?Who cares!Draft him .Both NT from Boston College BJ Raji a bulldozer DT that not only takes on more than one blocker but collapses pocket and drives pocket back into QB. His roster mate Ron Brace same basic build with 2 QB sacks last season is projected in 2nd round. Raji will probably go top 12 but he is my guy if there @ 15

Thorn
02-23-2009, 03:39 PM
The article pretty much sums it up. Our offense and special teams are good enough to chase a wild card spot, but our defense just isn't there yet and needs serious help. In one form or another, most of us have been saying that for a while now.

IlliniJen
02-23-2009, 03:45 PM

We are only in a position to win in our division if our defense GREATLY improves, red zone visits are converted into points, they cut down on TOs, the players are properly prepared for gameday and coaching decisions improve during the game.

Those are a lot of "ifs" to hang a hope to "dominate" our division on. We need to be a more complete team if we want to dominate anything. And in this AFC, I don't know if a Cardinals-esque record gets us into the playoffs.

badboy
02-23-2009, 03:53 PM
We are only in a position to win in our division if our defense GREATLY improves, red zone visits are converted into points, they cut down on TOs, the players are properly prepared for gameday and coaching decisions improve during the game.

Those are a lot of "ifs" to hang a hope to "dominate" our division on. We need to be a more complete team if we want to dominate anything. And in this AFC, I don't know if a Cardinals-esque record gets us into the playoffs.Very well put. The good news is we can address stopping the run and scoring more in the red zone in the draft. Turn overs? Now that might take a while to resolve. As Meatloaf sang "2 outta 3 ain't bad"

marv800
02-23-2009, 04:13 PM

Those are a lot of "ifs" to hang a hope to "dominate" our division on. We need to be a more complete team if we want to dominate anything. And in this AFC, I don't know if a Cardinals-esque record gets us into the playoffs.

There you go!

I would agree with your statements about redzone and turnovers. Last season was absolutely infuriating in the redzone. I found myself hoping Schaub would get sacked for a 12 yard loss when it was First and Ten at the 10 yard line, just so we could get out of the redzone and into scoring position.

As for turnovers, I place the blame squarly on two men's shoulders: Sage and Gary.

I'm just not one of those people who continously dog our defense. I think we are one of the most underrated defenses in the league, and quite frankly, I hope all the major media outlets continue to rate us in the bottom quarter of NFL defenses. I'll just watch sheepishly as Mario and company rack up sack after sack. That being said, I pray to the heavens above, that we get a kick-ass free safety before September.

SheTexan
02-23-2009, 04:45 PM

When it comes to football talk I seem to agree with Jen quiet a bit. Her above statement is right on target!! IMHO! Last season was filled with coaching screwups, bad play calling, players giving the impression they were unprepared, failure to show any consistency in the D at all. Every game day I woke up wondering which TEXAN team was gonna show up. Blame the players all ya want, but, it's up to the coaching staff to have those guys prepared.

I really detest the Texan/Cardinal comparison. The Cards won one more game than we did and made it to the big show. The Pats were 11-5 and missed the playoffs. Difference in divisions, and conferences. A lot of luck fell the Cards way. Easy division, weaker conference. Since the Texans inception into the NFL there have been five AFC champs, and two NFC champs. What that means in the grand scheme of things, I'm not sure, other than we're gonna have to scratch our way to the top. We play in a tough division, and the AFC dominates. (except in the Pro Bowl):)

Second Honeymoon
02-23-2009, 05:11 PM
Both NT from Boston College BJ Raji a bulldozer DT that not only takes on more than one blocker but collapses pocket and drives pocket back into QB. His roster mate Ron Brace same basic build with 2 QB sacks last season is projected in 2nd round. Raji will probably go top 12 but he is my guy if there @ 15

Yeah, it would be a godsend for Raji to fall to us at #15. I wouldn't be totally against trading up a few slots either. If he drops out of the Top10, the cost to trade up may be worth it.

I love this article though. They speak of the lack of defensive leadership and how Dunta's role could be affected by his current mood over his contract talks or lack thereof.

On the surface it seems shortsighted and crazy idea but if the Texans got creative and recruited the guy, maybe they could lure Ray freaking Lewis to the team to bring the leadership and passion that he brings.

Yeah yeah, it doesn't make sense long term but I think its the perfect opportunity to bring in someone who knows what it takes to compete each and every week to win. He would only be around for 2 or 3 years but even after that he could come in and retire and be a top defensive coaching position.

Lewis is what we need, like it or not. I would love to see Lewis just put Mario, Okoye, perhaps even TJ through his gauntlet of preparation. More than anything I think he would help bring the passion on the field and the preparation off the field. Maybe he could help turn Reliant Stadium into another House of Pain.

Guy could be had and it probably wouldn't cost as much as you think. Add Ray Lewis and Rey Maleauga or Cushing in the draft and you transform a pretty poor LB corps into one of the best LB corps in the league.

Ryans Lewis Maleauga/Cushing? are you kidding me? I would be first in line for a Texans Ray Lewis jersey, that is for sure. We need to transform the identity of this team into a defensive monster and when you couple that with Kubiak's current offensive arsenal and you have an elite team in a division that is finally beginning to trend downward. Jville is in trouble. Tennesee is an emperor with no clothes. Indy has no Dungy and Peyton is one year closer to retirement. We could come in and dominate this division as early as next year if we can just bring more passion. Once you dominate the division, everything else just kinda works itself out.

brakos82
02-23-2009, 05:24 PM
DT is such a hard position to fill. I read online that there are more busts in first round DTs than any other position.
Well don't we have 2 of 'em? Just sayin'...

IlliniJen
02-23-2009, 06:44 PM
There you go!

I would agree with your statements about redzone and turnovers. Last season was absolutely infuriating in the redzone. I found myself hoping Schaub would get sacked for a 12 yard loss when it was First and Ten at the 10 yard line, just so we could get out of the redzone and into scoring position.

As for turnovers, I place the blame squarly on two men's shoulders: Sage and Gary.

I'm just not one of those people who continously dog our defense. I think we are one of the most underrated defenses in the league, and quite frankly, I hope all the major media outlets continue to rate us in the bottom quarter of NFL defenses. I'll just watch sheepishly as Mario and company rack up sack after sack. That being said, I pray to the heavens above, that we get a kick-ass free safety before September.

My friend, I would love to have a bit of what you are smoking. Our defense IS NOT GOOD. We have some good INDIVIDUAL players, but as a unit, there are huge issues. There isn't an area on our defense were we don't need to greatly improve, and that includes end play. We have a line that has one huge Popeye arm on one side and one stick-like weakling arm on the other. The tackles are forgettable. The secondary is weak and needing someone other than Dunta to step up.

The big issue with this defense, to me, is this: are you confident this defense can get a stop when it absolutely, positively needs to? I'm not...or I wasn't confident. We're moving into a season where the defense is an x factor. I really don't know what they're going to look like on the field, but a talent infusion is necessary, along with scheme and MEANNESS in order to take a leap into respectability.

My greatest hope is that next year, the disparity is so great between then and now that you will see just how poor our defense was in retrospect.

Texans_Chick
02-23-2009, 07:26 PM

Hahaha. I just saw this. How is comparing the Texans to being the new sneaky hot team in the league--you know sorta comparing them to the team that went to the freaking Super Bowl--selling the Texans short?

Basically, the point of the article is that the Texans went 8-8 for the last two seasons with a defense that was among the worst in the league. If they can fix up their defense, reduce their turnovers and get more depth in key positions so that they don't have to rely on luck (Slaton staying healthy down the stretch for example), they could be the new It team.

That's a pretty big thing to be saying about a team that hasn't had a winning season.

As for the turnovers, I hope those get better once the Texans aren't playing from behind, the defense helps with field position, the offense gets more used to playing together, and the Texans have a more reliable running game (not having to give Slaton a breather midseason because his ribs are busted up).

Somebody go pay Hoth-Boy $20.

Texans_Chick
02-23-2009, 07:32 PM
There you go!

Click on the links in my original post about the Texans defense. The defense has been abysmal in just about every defensive category that matters.

I watch sheepishly while waiting for the Texans to rack up sack after sack too. The Texans were 27th in the league in getting sacks. Baaaaaaaa. Mario's company on the line is Mr. Nobody.

The reason why the media ranks the Texans in the bottom quarter of NFL defenses is because they are. Unlike you, I hope that changes.

Texans_Chick
02-23-2009, 07:34 PM
When it comes to football talk I seem to agree with Jen quiet a bit. Her above statement is right on target!! IMHO! Last season was filled with coaching screwups, bad play calling, players giving the impression they were unprepared, failure to show any consistency in the D at all. Every game day I woke up wondering which TEXAN team was gonna show up. Blame the players all ya want, but, it's up to the coaching staff to have those guys prepared.

I really detest the Texan/Cardinal comparison. The Cards won one more game than we did and made it to the big show. The Pats were 11-5 and missed the playoffs. Difference in divisions, and conferences. A lot of luck fell the Cards way. Easy division, weaker conference. Since the Texans inception into the NFL there have been five AFC champs, and two NFC champs. What that means in the grand scheme of things, I'm not sure, other than we're gonna have to scratch our way to the top. We play in a tough division, and the AFC dominates. (except in the Pro Bowl):)

The Texans need some luck. That is how it goes.

I mostly make the analogy not to say that the Texans are the Cardinals, but mostly that the Texans have usurped the Cardinals role as the team that other teams need to watch out for in the next year. For that to happen, they have to really fix the defense.

IlliniJen
02-23-2009, 09:14 PM
The Texans need some luck. That is how it goes.

I mostly make the analogy not to say that the Texans are the Cardinals, but mostly that the Texans have usurped the Cardinals role as the team that other teams need to watch out for in the next year. For that to happen, they have to really fix the defense.

TBH, I hope the Texans are NOT the new Cardinals. Because as I recall, the "new" Cardinals took way too long to live up to their potential. Every off season, the buzz was about how the Cardinals were going to turn the corner, and this talk started when Edge got there. And the Cardinals just sort of got stuck in neutral for a couple years, in one of the worst divisions in football.

Yes, they went to the SB this year, yet the Cardinals haven't really developed into a team that does anything really good, aside from throwing the ball.

If this team is just marginally better next year, then we could be the new Cardinals...getting stuck in a loop of "potential" and "sleeperdom." The Cards got hot at the right time, no doubt, but I'd love to see a true turnaround for this team that includes years of success. I'm not saying the Cards are one and done, but I also don't get the sense that they're above a middle of the pack team right now, benefiting from their existence in a weak NFC.

The1ApplePie
02-23-2009, 09:18 PM
Add Maclin at WR/KR

Get Ron Brace in the second, maybe Valkune in the 3rd

I could say it happening

Texans_Chick
02-23-2009, 09:23 PM
TBH, I hope the Texans are NOT the new Cardinals. Because as I recall, the "new" Cardinals took way too long to live up to their potential. Every off season, the buzz was about how the Cardinals were going to turn the corner, and this talk started when Edge got there. And the Cardinals just sort of got stuck in neutral for a couple years, in one of the worst divisions in football.

Yes, they went to the SB this year, yet the Cardinals haven't really developed into a team that does anything really good, aside from throwing the ball.

If this team is just marginally better next year, then we could be the new Cardinals...getting stuck in a loop of "potential" and "sleeperdom." The Cards got hot at the right time, no doubt, but I'd love to see a true turnaround for this team that includes years of success. I'm not saying the Cards are one and done, but I also don't get the sense that they're above a middle of the pack team right now, benefiting from their existence in a weak NFC.

There's the statement of beggars not being choosers.

The Texans have been a sleeper pick for a couple years. Football Outsiders picked them as their breakout team last year until they figured out that the offensive line was younger than they initially figured.

The reason why the Cardinals got to the SB is that their defense played better in the playoffs. And the reason why they lost the SB is that their defense is semi-inept at times.

Before the Texan fans aspire to be more than just the next Cardinals and want to be considered the next Steelers, or Patriots, or whatever team you want to choose for consistently good seasons, maybe they need to finish higher than 3rd in their division. Maybe they need to break .500. Maybe they need to have a defense that doesn't look like turd on a stick.

gtexan02
02-23-2009, 09:26 PM
There's the statement of beggars not being choosers.

The Texans have been a sleeper pick for a couple years. Football Outsiders picked them as their breakout team last year until they figured out that the offensive line was younger than they initially figured.

The reason why the Cardinals got to the SB is that their defense played better in the playoffs. And the reason why they lost the SB is that their defense is semi-inept at times.

Before the Texan fans aspire to be more than just the next Cardinals and want to be considered the next Steelers, or Patriots, or whatever team you want to choose for consistently good seasons, maybe they need to finish higher than 3rd in their division. Maybe they need to break .500. Maybe they need to have a defense that doesn't look like turd on a stick.

We just need to find a way to better utilize what we have

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/29/93792309_abf16adcd1.jpg?v=0

Its late, Im sorry :)

sakebomb
02-24-2009, 08:00 AM
The Texans would be in the playoffs if they played the 49ers, Seahawks, and Rams twice a year.

TexansFan33
02-24-2009, 11:56 AM
We need an A+ draft this year no exceptions!!!

JWarren14
03-11-2009, 05:16 PM
Another article about the Texans being the next Cardinals:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-nextyearscards031109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

infantrycak
03-12-2009, 11:52 PM
Not a Cardinals analogy, but not worth a separate thread:

Saints v. Texans for 8-8 team to bust out--Link (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation/0-6-307/Double-Coverage--Saints--Texans-set-to-contend-.html)

Specnatz
03-13-2009, 12:10 AM
Not a Cardinals analogy, but not worth a separate thread:

Saints v. Texans for 8-8 team to bust out--Link (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation/0-6-307/Double-Coverage--Saints--Texans-set-to-contend-.html)

Saints set to break out? They were just in the NFC championship game. They should have said rebound. They have had some injuries and really horrible drafts. They will finish 3rd in their division after finishing last in 2008. The offense is there but as usual the D is horrid.

The Pencil Neck
03-13-2009, 12:12 AM
saints set to break out? They were just in the NFC championship game. They should have said rebound. They have had some injuries and really horrible drafts. They will finish 3rd in their division after finishing last in 2008.

Yeah, it's kind of an apples and oranges thing, isn't it?

Goldensilence
03-13-2009, 12:26 AM
Yeah, it's kind of an apples and oranges thing, isn't it?

I don't know. Both have really good offenses and pretty bad defenses.

Gregg Williams might be what the team needs to pull it together defensively.

I hope Frank Bush and the amalgamated staff can pull this defense together and get them middle of the road. If the offense keeps doing what it did last year with a few exceptions i'm expecting us to compete for a playoff spot.