PDA

View Full Version : Sage to the Vikings

Pages : [1] 2

GlassHalfFull
02-23-2009, 12:13 PM
I heard this rumored at the chili cookoff yesterday. Now the Chronicle is reporting

The Texans and Minnesota are close to completing a trade that would send quarterback Sage Rosenfels to the Vikings for a draft choice.

The Texans had no comment on the report.

This is the second year in a row in which the Vikings have been interested in acquiring Rosenfels as their starting quarterback. Rosenfels, who won six games in the last two seasons when replacing the injured Matt Schaub, is approaching the last year of his contract.

The Vikings have Tarvaris Jackson and Gus Frerotte on their roster. Jackson is a former second-round pick and Frerotte is a 14-year veteran.

Rosenfels, who grew up in Iowa and played at Iowa State, was hoping to be traded to the Vikings last year. Media reports said Minnesota offered a third-round draft choice, but the Texans wanted a second-round pick. Both teams denied an offer was made. The reason Rosenfels wants to be traded to the Vikings is that he would have a chance to start for a team that has Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor at running back and as has led the NFL in run defense for the last two years.

The additional undisclosed draft choice would give the Texans eight selections in the draft on April 25-26.

link (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6276358.html)

TEXANRED
02-23-2009, 12:13 PM
Rose to Vikes per Chron:
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6276358.html

On the radio this morning about Weaver, can't find any printable source.

Anyone else hear?

WolverineFan
02-23-2009, 12:14 PM
I heard this rumored at the chili cookoff yesterday. Now the Chronicle is reporting

link (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6276358.html)

I doubt they will offer a 3rd round pick again this year. Sage took care of that himself.

GlassHalfFull
02-23-2009, 12:15 PM
I doubt they will offer a 3rd round pick again this year. Sage took care of that himself.

I was thinking 4th. I would say his value went down this season.

WolverineFan
02-23-2009, 12:15 PM

I agree.

disaacks3
02-23-2009, 12:16 PM
It'd be nice if it was a 3rd rounder or higher, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

2nd source? - Link (http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/090223_texans_rosenfels_vikings)

TimeKiller
02-23-2009, 12:16 PM
I'll bet they take a 3rd this year...Pat White or Stephen McGee are the two names that come up as a replacement in the draft for a backup QB.

WolverineFan
02-23-2009, 12:17 PM
Rose to Vikes per Chron:
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6276358.html

On the radio this morning about Weaver, can't find any printable source.

Anyone else hear?

Haven't heard anything, but if this is true then that pretty much guarantees we are either signing a DE in FA or drafting one high (1st or 2nd round). Also gives us even more cap room to make a move in FA.

Ole Miss Texan
02-23-2009, 12:18 PM
Holy Smokes!! :popcorn:

drewmar74
02-23-2009, 12:20 PM
I can't find anything on Weaver.

Can we back that up somewhere? Not being a jackass, just want to read it!

Polo
Excellent.

dalemurphy
I like to think of myself as an educated, rational fan. I've been against this deal because I think it's important to have a quality backup QB that the team believes in.

In the end, though, like any fan, I get goosebumps when I hear the potential for additional draft picks. So, I'm kinda on board with it now, even though I think it's questionable logic.

I guess if we can get a 3rd plus maybe a conditional mid-late round pick in 2010 (depending on his performance this season), we can make some good out of it. I'm all for getting McGee in the 5th round. What FA Qb do we go after to replace sage?

Cjeremy635
02-23-2009, 12:23 PM
Honestly, I like Sage. I know he's a career backup, and he had a complete meltdown in the Indy game, but I'd hate to see him go. Shaub seems to get hurt a lot, and we don't have anyone here that already knows our system to step in (do we?) without a hickup. If we trade him, we'd better pickup someone fast, IMHO. I'm probably just over reacting, it could work out for the better. We bring in someone else who picks up the system fast, shines during his time given, and pushes Matt for the QB 1 spot. That would be a good scenario in my book.

rarazz00
We still need a veteran backup who will understand he'll be the #2. I also believe if we lose Sage, we'll go 4th to 5th round on our future backup...Pat White/Steven McGee?:fans:

drewmar74
What FA Qb do we go after to replace sage?

Surely, surely if they are going to trade Sage then they have a backup plan... right?

WolverineFan
02-23-2009, 12:24 PM
I like to think of myself as an educated, rational fan. I've been against this deal because I think it's important to have a quality backup QB that the team believes in.

In the end, though, like any fan, I get goosebumps when I hear the potential for additional draft picks. So, I'm kinda on board with it now, even though I think it's questionable logic.

I guess if we can get a 3rd plus maybe a conditional mid-late round pick in 2010 (depending on his performance this season), we can make some good out of it. I'm all for getting McGee in the 5th round. What FA Qb do we go after to replace sage?

I agree. We need a capable backup so I would only trade him for at least a 3rd round pick. White has looked great at the combine so far so I could see us taking him.

If we were to go after any FA QB to replace Sage I would want it to be Jeff Garcia, but from what I hear he still wants to be a starter.

Ole Miss Texan
I was for the trade last year (3rd rounder). Have Quinn Gray as your back up to lose those games Schaub missed. Now this season, I felt like Sage's value probably dropped too significantly to warrant a trade... that he'd probably have more value as our backup.

I love this time of year. Sage is great guy so I hope we can get something decent for him and he can be successful up in Minnesota!

J-Russ
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Glad Kubiak and Smith learned that Sage was not the answer as either a starter or back-up. I'll take a 4th for him, which I hope it is(or more).

4Texans
02-23-2009, 12:25 PM
That's all fine and dandy if we can get a 3rd rd pick or so..... but we've got no one as a backup behind Matt. Any ideas on a FA who would come here to back him up????? I certainly wouldn't put all my eggs in a basket on a draft choice for this year....

dalemurphy

You could argue his value went down, but also Minnesota's need went up after they had to go with Gus Frerrote most of last season.

I'm thinking we get a 3rd in '09 and something between a 4th-7th in 2010 as a conditional pick based on how many starts he has.

Drew_Smoke
I love me some Pat White. Cat is small but he's got game.

I would like to know what they really think of Alex Brink.

Ole Miss Texan
02-23-2009, 12:26 PM
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Texans34Life
02-23-2009, 12:26 PM
Man, that sucks. I hope we get a 4th out of him.

I also wonder who will replace Sage as backup....Brink?

Polo
02-23-2009, 12:27 PM
I think that they may give up that third...

dalemurphy
02-23-2009, 12:28 PM

If White can make it as a pro QB, it would be in the Texan system- where he can maximize his running ability on bootlegs and get to the edges so he can see downfield. He could certainly succeed as a backup. However, Mayock suggested he'd pick White in the 2nd round. I don't really want to take a backup QB that high if I can help it.

J-Russ

He can definitely be had in the 5th or 6th round. I'm hoping for Rhett Bomar in the 4th, or maybe even Nate Davis with our 3rd. I doubt they'll going to be our back-up right away, so I wonder who Kubiak has in mind for next year's back-up... The return of Nall, or the rise of Boyd/Brink?

Texans34Life
Well, I guess my answer was in the OP's link:

The Texans will be in the market for another veteran quarterback. Alex Brink was a seventh-round pick last year who spent the season on the practice squad. When Schaub was injured, the Texans signed Craig Nall for the remainder of the season.

bckey
02-23-2009, 12:30 PM
More picks to package. It just seems funny that this comes immediately after the combine. Kubiak and Smith may covet 1 particular player they saw at the combine that they feel will not be there at 15. Add to this the cutting of Anthony Weaver.

drewmar74
Kubiak has in mind for next year's back-up...

Jeff George - BABEEEEE!!!!

Don't call it a comeback......

J-Russ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Wow, he sounds just like Matthew McConaughey on the last part.

Ole Miss Texan
02-23-2009, 12:31 PM
I also wonder who will replace Sage as backup...

Vince Young has been recently seen in Houston. :stirpot:

WolverineFan
02-23-2009, 12:33 PM
Vince Young has been recently seen in Houston. :stirpot:

Well he does kind of live there and everything.

Ole Miss Texan
More picks to package. It just seems funny that this comes immediately after the combine. Kubiak and Smith may covet 1 particular player they saw at the combine that they feel will not be there at 15.

Good ol' threetoed may be getting his wish! o...rak....poooo

J-Russ
BREAKING EFFIN' NEWS!

ROSENFELS-TO-VIKES COMING TO FRUITION?
Posted by Mike Florio on February 23, 2009, 1:11 p.m.

Last year, the Minnesota Vikings nearly swung a deal for Texans backup quarterback Sage Rosenfels.

As rumors/reports had it, the Texans wanted a second-round pick, and the Vikes were willing to part only with a third-rounder.

This time around, the deal reportedly is close to happening, for a fourth-round selection.

The move would likely take the Vikings out of the running for a veteran quarterback in free agency, and it definitely would slam the door on speculation linking Matt Cassel to the men in purple.

Rosenfels is signed through 2009, at a base salary of $1.35 million.

Any deal could not be finalized until the start of the new league year, on Friday, February 27.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

I was right on the mark :cool:.

I'm still surprise there's people out there who still think he's worth even a 5th. My God, we made out like bandits. Someone call 911, Rick Smith is a wanted man!

EDIT: This was the same thing as the chron story. I'm a phony.

Silver Oak
02-23-2009, 12:34 PM
White or McGee running the Wild Bull in relief of Schaub every series or two sounds good to me.

chicagotexan2
02-23-2009, 12:38 PM
The local MN sportsradio show is on board. You can listen live if you want. I am hoping for a 3rd, but I doubt we'll get that. Lord, Schaub better stay or we'll be talking about a new HC and GM next year.

http://www.kfan.com/main.html

gtexan02
02-23-2009, 12:40 PM
If I were the Texans, I would trade Rosenfels for a 4th or 5th round pick in the 2010 draft with escalators that could make the pick as high as a 2nd round choice. Performance, game starts, etc

TEXANRED
02-23-2009, 12:42 PM
I can't find anything on Weaver.

Can we back that up somewhere? Not being a jackass, just want to read it!

I can't find anything to back up the Weaver statement either. Heard it on the radio and was hoping someone might know more.

badboy
02-23-2009, 12:43 PM
Vince Young has been recently seen in Houston. :stirpot:I know you jest, but a Vince Young type, notice I said type, QB would do very well as a back up in this offense. Our Oline will be better as will our running game if a power runner is added. Add a QB like Vince or Vick (no I don't want him) who offers a possible throw and with good abilities if he takes off would eat us some yards. I think Schaub will have an excellent year and be able to remain on field.

If we got a 3rd for Sage, I'll do the chicken dance and start planning who might be available.

J-Russ
02-23-2009, 12:45 PM
Just FYI: Minn has the 22nd selection, so it'll be a low end 4th, unless they have another 4th I don't know about. Quite a drop-off from a mid-3rd rounder. Oh well.

badboy
02-23-2009, 12:51 PM
Hmm..which has greater impact? Moving Weaver indicates a DE will be coming in and most assume it will be in 1st or 2nd in draft but just what if it will be Julius Peppers? Rumor had him agreeing to 3 nfc and 1 afc teams.

dalemurphy
02-23-2009, 12:52 PM
Just FYI: Minn has the 22nd selection, so it'll be a low end 4th, unless they have another 4th I don't know about. Quite a drop-off from a mid-3rd rounder. Oh well.

It has to be more than a 4th... Perhaps it's only a 4th this year but also a conditional pick in 2010. I will be upset if we give up Rosenfel for just a 4th... unless we make a really nice QB signing this weekend:

Garcia
fitzpatrick
Losman
Ramsey?

that's about all I can find- I know I don't want to see Kyle Boller here!

Errant Hothy
02-23-2009, 12:55 PM
Maybe they are trading for a 4th to protect themselves in case the NFL strips them of their own 4th round pick, due to the illegal contract drills.

Pantherstang84
02-23-2009, 12:56 PM
Hmm..which has greater impact? Moving Weaver indicates a DE will be coming in and most assume it will be in 1st or 2nd in draft but just what if it will be Julius Peppers? Rumor had him agreeing to 3 nfc and 1 afc teams.

The Panthers slapped the tag on Peppers. Keep looking.

TEXANS84
02-23-2009, 01:01 PM
If I can't find anything on Weaver being cut, I may change the title to this thread.

Ole Miss Texan
02-23-2009, 01:01 PM
It has to be more than a 4th... Perhaps it's only a 4th this year but also a conditional pick in 2010. I will be upset if we give up Rosenfel for just a 4th... unless we make a really nice QB signing this weekend:

Garcia
fitzpatrick
Losman
Ramsey?

that's about all I can find- I know I don't want to see Kyle Boller here!

What are the thoughts concerning San Francisco's QBs? Alex Smith, Shaun Hill, J.T. O'Sullivan. Any chance one of them gets released?

TEXANRED
02-23-2009, 01:02 PM
If I can't find anything on Weaver being cut, I may change the title to this thread.

You gonna change it back when it does happen then?

Also, I was hoping to get someone who might know more to validate the statement and what was said on the radio earlier.

Errant Hothy
02-23-2009, 01:05 PM
I don't understand why they would cut Weaver. Yes I know he's his pass rushing, is more of a lack therefore of type deal; but cutting him would generate a bigger cap hit then keeping him. And after tagging Dunta, the team will need all of the cap roomit can get to sign a good FA DE.

TexanAddict
02-23-2009, 01:07 PM
Maybe they are trading for a 4th to protect themselves in case the NFL strips them of their own 4th round pick, due to the illegal contract drills.

Good thinking.

gtexan02
02-23-2009, 01:08 PM
I don't understand why they would cut Weaver. Yes I know he's his pass rushing, is more of a lack therefore of type deal; but cutting him would generate a bigger cap hit then keeping him. And after tagging Dunta, the team will need all of the cap roomit can get to sign a good FA DE.

Thats not true.

Weaver's cap hit this season is 6.2 million dollars
The penalty we would receive for cutting him is 5.4 million dollars (2.7 million for 2009 and 2010).
Therefore we would save $800,000 in cap space by cutting Weaver

Whether we could sign a DE who could contribute as much as Weaver for $800,000 is an argument thats valid, but we would technically save $800,000 off the cap by cutting him

disaacks3
nevermind - already merged

HOU-TEX
You gonna change it back when it does happen then?

Also, I was hoping to get someone who might know more to validate the statement and what was said on the radio earlier.

Out of curiosity, who was it that said it? Station?

gtexan02
Good thinking.

I would think the NFL would be more likely to strip us of a draft pick if we had multiple picks stored up

Errant Hothy
02-23-2009, 01:11 PM
Thats not true.

Weaver's cap hit this season is 6.2 million dollars
The penalty we would receive for cutting him is 5.4 million dollars (2.7 million for 2009 and 2010).
Therefore we would save $800,000 in cap space by cutting Weaver

Whether we could sign a DE who could contribute as much as Weaver for $800,000 is an argument thats valid, but we would technically save $800,000 off the cap by cutting him

Indeed?

I was using this as a source:
http://www.inthebullseye.com/

This is a given for Weaver, since cutting him would actually eat additional cap space, but with more than $30 million and 25-plus roster spots available (before any significant re-signings), there is no urgency to create additional space in the locker room or on the balance sheet. Plus, those salaries arenít payable to the players until the season begins. There are no roster or workout bonuses scheduled for either of them.

Keith is usually on top of stuff like this.

gtexan02
02-23-2009, 01:12 PM
Indeed?

I was using this as a source:
http://www.inthebullseye.com/

Keith is usually on top of stuff like this.

Bizarre, because I'm going by his numbers on that site too!

Check the cap # for Weaver this season ($6.2 million) and his bonuses for this season and next, and you can see my numbers.

Maybe Im missing something

imatexan
02-23-2009, 01:21 PM
If we give Sage up for a low 4th rounder, that would be a terrible move!

Yes the guy loses games by trying to do to much but he also can win games that same way and i dont see us getting any where close to a better backup.

However, if we can get a 2nd/3rd rounder for him and some 2010 pick I would take it.

Polo
02-23-2009, 01:25 PM
Bizarre, because I'm going by his numbers on that site too!

Check the cap # for Weaver this season ($6.2 million) and his bonuses for this season and next, and you can see my numbers.

Maybe Im missing something

Even if you're wrong, the Texans may be willing to eat a little cap space to keep a useful player around instead of a stiff...

I would hate to see a a Tim Bulman or Naeding not make the roster because of Weaver.

Carr Bombed
02-23-2009, 01:27 PM

Tim Bulman moved out to DE can give us more than what Weaver has since he's been here.

A UDFA can give us what Weaver does, I've wanted him gone for awhile.

MightyTExan
02-23-2009, 01:27 PM
Maybe Brian Griese to be our new backup?

bah007
02-23-2009, 01:30 PM
What are the thoughts concerning San Francisco's QBs? Alex Smith, Shaun Hill, J.T. O'Sullivan. Any chance one of them gets released?

If they plan on going QB anywhere in this draft then one of those guys will be cut.

My guess would be O'Sullivan.

bah007
02-23-2009, 01:32 PM
If we trade Sage for a draft pick then that says to me that Kubes thinks he hit with Brink and he is confident that he can be the backup OR we are gonna sign a veteran to backup Schaub.

Drafting a rookie to play backup wouldn't make much sense. Brink would probably have a better chance since he has been in the system.

Big Lou
02-23-2009, 01:39 PM
Unless we sign a FA QB, this is simply addition by subtraction.

Sage may have issues protecting the ball, but so would a rookie that's slated to be a career NFL back up.

If we can get a third, maybe, but not for a 4th unless we sign a FA, which if theres one out there why wouldn't the Bikes just do that, rather than give up a pick.

In closing, if we get a 4th and it ends up bieng another Owen Daniels or such, then I guess I'll eat this posting!!!!!

Hervoyel
02-23-2009, 01:40 PM
Better late than never?

bah007
02-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Better late than never?

I wouldn't trade him just for the sake of trading him though.

They better have a backup plan, whether it be Brink or a veteran FA like Garcia.

GlassHalfFull
02-23-2009, 01:41 PM
We would probably have lost him next year due to free agency, so we might as well get something for him. I wish him well, but am not at all sorry to see him go. And I would be willing to bet, after the Rosencopter disaster, he will be happy to see Houston in his rear view mirror.

Blake
02-23-2009, 01:42 PM
If we trade Sage for a draft pick then that says to me that Kubes thinks he hit with Brink and he is confident that he can be the backup OR we are gonna sign a veteran to backup Schaub.

Drafting a rookie to play backup wouldn't make much sense. Brink would probably have a better chance since he has been in the system.

Its hard to say if he thinks Brink is the man, but I can see them praying that Matt stays healthy, and if they have to they will sign Nall. But its just a guessing game.

Also I think it should be their 3rd round pick. He is a QB and their picks are low in the rounds.

HOU-TEX
02-23-2009, 01:45 PM
I guess I'm still on the fence on this deal. If it were for a 3, I'd be all over it. A 4th doesn't seem worth having to find another capable backup. I know Rosenchoke made a few really boneheaded decisions, but he was still a decent backup.

Eh, as Big Lou pointed out, I might end up giddy as heck come draft time.

marv800
02-23-2009, 01:46 PM
I think that the Texans should think very carefully before doing anything rash.

Once they get done thinking, they should demand nothing less that a Quarter Pounder meal for Sage.

texanfan2002114
02-23-2009, 01:47 PM
According to John McClain, a couple of weeks ago. He was on the radio here in Houston and said that the Texans were going to have to do something with Sage because Sage didn't like Kubes that much and really didn't want to be back next year.

The reason why Sage didn't like was due to the fact that all Kubes did was yell at him and he got sick in tired of it during his last couple of years here. So seeing Sage being traded today is no suprise and if we did get a 4th for him, I'll take it.

Old School
02-23-2009, 01:48 PM

They better have a backup plan, whether it be Brink or a veteran FA like Garcia.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59033

There is your backup plan....Jake the Snake is back in business!!

ATX
02-23-2009, 01:49 PM
So we talking Sage for Peterson straight up here?

:user:

Hervoyel
02-23-2009, 01:50 PM

I'm fairly certain they do. The potential backups available right now are better than the options when Sage was brought in.

Personally I thought it was a stupid mistake to not move the guy last year for a 3 but to get the opportunity to move him again, even for a 4 is just dumb luck. I think you send him packing for that 4 as fast as you can. The Vikings have some kind of weird attraction to the 'copter so take their pick before they come to their senses.

But again, I really doubt that they'd move him if they had no backup plan. They can get what Sage has almost anywhere in the NFL. Lets just be thankful that Minnesota hasn't worked that out yet.

GP
The Vikings apparently see some value in Sage, enough value that they are willing to give us a draft pick...when they could easily have a do-over in this year's draft or find other free agents (Plummer?) that won't cost them a draft pick.

And: Although there was not much news about it last off-season, there was an attempt by the Vikings to get Sage in return for a 3rd rounder. But we wanted a 2nd rounder. Holding out for a 2nd rounder could have been unsettling for Sage, restricting the opportunity for him to be a starter in Minnesota.

Now there's renewed interest by the same team.

I think the Texans get it done this time. I can't see them making Sage stay here another year under the exact same situation as before. We could have had a 3rd rounder had we done the deal last off-season, but Matt's injury situation was unclear and the Texans decided to retain Sage.

If Brink is the new backup, I hope he's improved. I didn't see many people (here) saying he was anything special. And it wouldn't make sense to dump Sage and then go out and grab some castaway free agent.

I have a feeling we're targeting a QB in the 2nd or 3rd.

bah007

No.

It's Sage for a 4th rounder, Peterson, Jared Allen, & one of the Williams boys...

bah007
02-23-2009, 01:54 PM
...If Brink is the new backup, I hope he's improved. I didn't see many people (here) saying he was anything special. And it wouldn't make sense to dump Sage and then go out and grab some castaway free agent.

I have a feeling we're targeting a QB in the 2nd or 3rd.

A lot of people here were turned off by the selection. By I, and a few others, thought it was a great move.

Brink had a lot of success in college. He rewrote the record books at Washington St.

He doesn't have all the measurables but he has a good mental grasp of the game and his skill set is perfect for our offense.

If Kubes thinks he is ready to be the backup then I'm all for it because I think that Brink can get it done.

HOU-TEX
02-23-2009, 01:56 PM
I'm fairly certain they do. The potential backups available right now are better than the options when Sage was brought in.

Personally I thought it was a stupid mistake to not move the guy last year for a 3 but to get the opportunity to move him again, even for a 4 is just dumb luck. I think you send him packing for that 4 as fast as you can. The Vikings have some kind of weird attraction to the 'copter so take their pick before they come to their senses.

But again, I really doubt that they'd move him if they had no backup plan. They can get what Sage has almost anywhere in the NFL. Lets just be thankful that Minnesota hasn't worked that out yet.

:spit: "Tha Copter"!

bigbrewster2000
02-23-2009, 01:59 PM
According to John McClain, a couple of weeks ago. He was on the radio here in Houston and said that the Texans were going to have to do something with Sage because Sage didn't like Kubes that much and really didn't want to be back next year.

The reason why Sage didn't like was due to the fact that all Kubes did was yell at him and he got sick in tired of it during his last couple of years here. So seeing Sage being traded today is no suprise and if we did get a 4th for him, I'll take it. Well boo freaking hoo. Wahhh coach always yells at me!!! My pee-pee hurts.(in best whiney voice) BTW where did you hear that unsubstantiated rumor?

If that were true he needs to quit playing football. Every player gets yelled at for screwing up.

Polo
02-23-2009, 02:00 PM
A lot of people here were turned off by the selection. By I, and a few others, thought it was a great move.

Brink had a lot of success in college. He rewrote the record books at Washington St.

He doesn't have all the measurables but he has a good mental grasp of the game and his skill set is perfect for our offense.

If Kubes thinks he is ready to be the backup then I'm all for it because I think that Brink can get it done.

Having observed the Texans since Kubiak has taken over I think it's much more likely that there will be some type of competition for the back-up QB spot...

I doubt he annoints anyone.

bah007
02-23-2009, 02:02 PM
Having observed the Texans since Kubiak has taken over I think it's much more likely that there will be some type of competition for the back-up QB spot...

That wasn't what I was getting at.

I'm pretty certain we will bring in a third QB via FA or the draft.

But I think Brink has the tools to win that battle unless it is one of the top flight FA QB's. That's all.

HoustonFrog
02-23-2009, 02:03 PM
After missing out last year on a 3rd or whatever I'd take a 4th and run. He proved last year to be a backup but one that still had ball handling problems. There are some vets out there that can step in I believe.

BigBull17
02-23-2009, 02:04 PM

Shees. They need to sweeten the deal. Peterson, Allen, and a 3rd. Minimum.

ATX
02-23-2009, 02:10 PM
No.

It's Sage for a 4th rounder, Peterson, Jared Allen, & one of the Williams boys...

Shees. They need to sweeten the deal. Peterson, Allen, and a 3rd. Minimum.

What kind of dream land are y'all living in?

:spit:

Sal Rosenberg
02-23-2009, 02:10 PM
I was really hoping for a third rounder

Giant Tiger
02-23-2009, 02:12 PM
If I were the Texans, I would trade Rosenfels for a 4th or 5th round pick in the 2010 draft with escalators that could make the pick as high as a 2nd round choice. Performance, game starts, etc

That's what I'm thinking as well. Let's see how he does for his new team before settling on a pick for this year. Still need a veteran QB, though.

BigBull17
02-23-2009, 02:13 PM
What kind of dream land are y'all living in?

:spit:

Its all totally logical. QB is the most important position...

On a serious note, we should have pulled the trigger last year. I'm sorry the interception machine is sad he gets yelled at. If it makes you mad, dont throw picks. Freakin loser. I HATE Sage.

badboy
02-23-2009, 02:15 PM
Maybe they are trading for a 4th to protect themselves in case the NFL strips them of their own 4th round pick, due to the illegal contract drills.NFL must have a prior incident before taking a pick

texanfan2002114
02-23-2009, 02:18 PM
Well boo freaking hoo. Wahhh coach always yells at me!!! My pee-pee hurts.(in best whiney voice) BTW where did you hear that unsubstantiated rumor?
If that were true he needs to quit playing football. Every player gets yelled at for screwing up.

Like I said, I heard it from John McClain on the radio a couple of weeks back while he was doing his weekly radio broadcast on 610am. I would just write any crap on here unless I heard from someone.

Runner
02-23-2009, 02:19 PM

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you think he's learned from past mistakes? He has certainly "annointed" his top QBs in Matt and Sage so far. I guess he's had some competition for practice squad or injury replacement QB though.

TEXANS84
02-23-2009, 02:20 PM
This spells Brian Griese in a Texans uniform.

dalemurphy
02-23-2009, 02:20 PM
So, listening to 610, this trade became somewhat public knowledge when Sage texted Eric Winston, who was at the chili cookoff. I guess Winston is the leak. Anyway, the 610 guys indicated that they did find out about it yesterday. Appparently, Eric Winson is very close friends with Sage.

Htownsportsfan
02-23-2009, 02:23 PM

The reason why Sage didn't like was due to the fact that all Kubes did was yell at him and he got sick in tired of it during his last couple of years here. So seeing Sage being traded today is no suprise and if we did get a 4th for him, I'll take it.

That makes me laugh because half the folks I hear complaining about Kubiak is he shows no emotion and isn't Hot tempered enough. I guess it just depends on which side of the ass chewing you are on!

texanfan2002114
02-23-2009, 02:23 PM
So, listening to 610, this trade became somewhat public knowledge when Sage texted Eric Winston, who was at the chili cookoff. I guess Winston is the leak. Anyway, the 610 guys indicated that they did find out about it yesterday. Appparently, Eric Winson is very close friends with Sage.

Sage is going to be in Eric's wedding according to matt on 610.

thunderkyss
02-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Doug Flutie, Kurt Warner, Tony Romo, and Tom Brady were all obscure back-ups at one time.

I'm just saying.

gtexan02
02-23-2009, 02:31 PM
Doug Flutie, Kurt Warner, Tony Romo, and Tom Brady were all obscure back-ups at one time.

I'm just saying.

So was Matt Schaub

4Texans
02-23-2009, 02:31 PM

I'm just saying.

You'e right...... It's just the "Unknown" factor that make's everyone say "What tha....?", at this point..

Obviously we're not the Patriots, but how many people knew that Cassel could come in and keep the Patriots offense moving and win 12 games.... Other than him having knowledge of the play book, the guy had never started in college or the NFL....

TexanDave
02-23-2009, 02:32 PM
Helicopter play or not, at least he was a true NFL backup QB and as long as Schaub shows to be injury prone we do need a decent backup. I still would like the extra draft pick.

Polo
02-23-2009, 02:33 PM
I'm not sure what you mean. Do you think he's learned from past mistakes? He has certainly "annointed" his top QBs in Matt and Sage so far. I guess he's had some competition for practice squad or injury replacement QB though.

He also anointed Diles.

I just don't think that he would annoint Brink as the second QB without having in game action. Normally guys that he have annointed have atleast had some kind of production on gameday or we paid a lot to get them.

dalemurphy
02-23-2009, 02:36 PM
He also anointed Diles.

I just don't think that he would annoint Brink as the second QB without having in game action. Normally guys that he have annointed have atleast had some kind of production on gameday or we paid a lot to get them.

Sure, but if he has confidence in Brinks' abilities then it makes this deal easier to do, even if they plan to go find a veteran.

Specnatz
02-23-2009, 02:37 PM
He also anointed Diles.

How did he anoint Dile? He said the plan was for him to be the starter going into 2008 but that preseason would dictate what happens. Not to mention he saw how each played throughout the 2007 season. Playing time was actually earned based on performance. Just as how Greenwood lost his jub for the lack of it.

HOU-TEX
02-23-2009, 02:41 PM
Here's the latest rumor:

SportsRadio 6010 in Houston reports that the Vikings will sign Sage Rosenfels to a new three-year, $9 million deal once his trade to Minnesota is done.

The station says there is still haggling about compensation, however. The Texans want a third-rounder and Minnesota is offering a fifth. The station expects the sides to settle on a fourth, but it doesn't sound like a deal is done

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/home_NFL.aspx

Brando
02-23-2009, 02:46 PM
Jake Plummer as a backup anyone?

HoustonFrog
02-23-2009, 02:48 PM
I know because of the NFL these days it is hard to keep one QB upright through a full season but I am also a firm believer that you can't be scared to make moves like this and go into every season like you need QB1 and QB1A. That is what people have been doing with Sage. It is nice when a guy can play but you shouldn't plan on a second starter. Your plan is to have a top guy and have someone who can do spot duty and be effective and use the tools around the.....like rely on a strong running game and manage while the starter is out. Sage made many mistakes and he made plays too but he is the backup and someone is willing to give up useful picks. Managing scared doesn't work. Get a Patrick Ramsey or a Batch or someone who can manage and draft a kid who you think may grow and learn the system well.

Errant Hothy
02-23-2009, 02:48 PM
No mater what/if the deal happens; it cannot be confirmed before Friday.

Polo
02-23-2009, 02:50 PM
How did he anoint Dile? He said the plan was for him to be the starter going into 2008 but that preseason would dictate what happens. Not to mention he saw how each played throughout the 2007 season. Playing time was actually earned based on performance. Just as how Greenwood lost his jub for the lack of it.

Diles didn't win the job, he just kept it.

He was annointed, but no one played well enough to take his spot.

Greenwood and Weaver didn't start losing their spots until their level of suckage just could no longer be compresed.

Texan_Bill
02-23-2009, 02:52 PM
Here's the latest rumor:

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/home_NFL.aspx

SportsRadio 610 has learned Houston Texans Quarterback Sage Rosenfels is expected to be traded to the Minnesota Vikings for an undisclosed draft pick. The Vikings have offered a 3 year $9 million extension to Rosenfels. Rosenfels will be expected to compete with Tavaris Jackson for the starting job in Minnesota.

Be sure to listen to Rich, Matt & The Drive Time Players this afternoon @ 2 for the latest on this story, plus live reports from Astros Spring Training and the latest from the NFL Combine in Indianapolis.

Check out Matt Jackson's Blog on this @ www.themademen.blogspot.com

It's Houston Sports worth listening to on-air or on-line @ www.sportsradio610.com!

Click Here to Unsubscribe

KILT-AM is sending you an advertising or promotional message. KILT-AM is located at 24 Greenway Plaza, Ste. 1900, Houston, TX 77046.

Email received a little earler...

HoustonFrog
02-23-2009, 02:56 PM
Email received a little earler...

Here is the ESPN one...wasn't surte if I saw it here

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3928630

The Texans and Vikings are close to a trade that would send quarterback Sage Rosenfels to Minnesota, possibly for a fourth-round draft pick, the Houston Chronicle reported Monday

This is the second consecutive year in which the Vikings have been interested in acquiring Rosenfels, who is near the end of his contract, to be their starting quarterback.

Rosenfels wanted to be traded to the Vikings last season in hopes of starting for a team that has Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor at running back and has led the NFL in run defense for two straight years. At the time, the Vikings reportedly offered a third-round draft choice, but the Texans wanted a second-round pick. Both teams denied an offer was made.

Minnesota already has quarterbacks Gus Frerotte and Tarvaris Jackson on its roster and will want to extend Rosenfels' contract if the trade is completed.

The Texans had no comment Monday on the report.

chicagotexan2
02-23-2009, 03:01 PM
Is there a way to include TMac in this package? There are two words that have never been used in the same sentence.. Tmac & package. Is it possible that this could a conditional 4th that could escelate into more in the future if Sage does really well?

infantrycak
02-23-2009, 03:01 PM
Diles didn't win the job, he just kept it.

He was annointed, but no one played well enough to take his spot.

What do you mean he just kept it?--he didn't start a single game in 2007. In the off-season Kubiak decided he had won the starting SLB job for 2008.

Greenwood and Weaver didn't start losing their spots until their level of suckage just could no longer be compresed.

aka there was competition and once it got strong enough, a new starter was inserted.

All this no competition talk is just fan chatter. There hasn't been anything to indicate this coaching staff doesn't believe they are fielding the best team off the roster.

TimeKiller
02-23-2009, 03:02 PM
When teams are willing to give something significant (I'd consider 4th round significant in this case) for a backup the decision is pretty easy. This is one mistake we'll have a 2nd shot at which is rare.

thunderkyss
02-23-2009, 03:05 PM
I know because of the NFL these days it is hard to keep one QB upright through a full season but I am also a firm believer that you can't be scared to make moves like this and go into every season like you need QB1 and QB1A. That is what people have been doing with Sage. It is nice when a guy can play but you shouldn't plan on a second starter. Your plan is to have a top guy and have someone who can do spot duty and be effective and use the tools around the.....like rely on a strong running game and manage while the starter is out. Sage made many mistakes and he made plays too but he is the backup and someone is willing to give up useful picks. Managing scared doesn't work. Get a Patrick Ramsey or a Batch or someone who can manage and draft a kid who you think may grow and learn the system well.

I don't even like that idea. I think we should continue to move QBs through here, until we find one that is special. Like a Romo, a Brady, or a Schaub. Then you keep him. When/if he ever gets on the field, it's his job to lose.

I think we screwed Sage, by making Matt the #1 right off the bat, but that's another story.

We need to sweet'n the pot with Minnesota. Throw in Weaver, and Anderson or Brown and get a second.

PHAROAH
02-23-2009, 03:10 PM
I bet we get a 3rd rounder because this guy will be the starter in minnesota. Man if we cut Weaver that means we will strong players in free agency man I'm fired up.

will742
02-23-2009, 03:11 PM
I really hope this happens. By the look of things a little more negotiation might be needed as far as the draft pick (hopefully 4th or even 3rd.. I can dream!)

Anyways, I think this could really help us out this offseason. Recieving a mid-round pick would allow the Texans to have a few bargaining chips in case they need to move up a spot or two in the 2nd to secure a coveted player that might have dropped. I'm fairly aware that the Texans never trade up under the Smith regime but at the same time this is the first year the front office has had all of their picks and more to work with (barring a minicamp 4th round deduction). I would love to throw a later pick in and pickup someone like a Louis Delmas in the second.

Just a little food for thought..

gtexan02
02-23-2009, 03:12 PM
I don't even like that idea. I think we should continue to move QBs through here, until we find one that is special. Like a Romo, a Brady, or a Schaub. Then you keep him. When/if he ever gets on the field, it's his job to lose.

I think we screwed Sage, by making Matt the #1 right off the bat, but that's another story.

We need to sweet'n the pot with Minnesota. Throw in Weaver, and Anderson or Brown and get a second.

lol, if Sage only commands a 4th rounder, how do you think we're going to get a 2nd by throwing in garbage players?

Weaver is an overpriced, underperforming, post-injury DE we are about to cut. Anderson is a conditional WR with minimal experience, and Brown was injured all year and may never play again. How those guys equate to anything is beyond me

Sal Rosenberg
02-23-2009, 03:13 PM

We did screw Rosemary by not at least letting him compete with Matt.Good point.I would sweeten the deal by throwing in TJ

gtexan02
02-23-2009, 03:14 PM
We did screw Rosemary by not at least letting him compete with Matt.Good point.I would sweeten the deal by throwing in TJ

By the time we add in TJ, Weaver, and Brown, we may as well give the Vikings a 4th rounder and call it a day

Carr Bombed
02-23-2009, 03:18 PM

We didn't screw anybody......Sage had his chance when Schaub was out (that's how backup QBs win jobs, by seizing the opportunity.) Sage failed and when Schaub came back it was blatantly obvious who the better QB was.

That's something else people don't realize, our coaching staff watches both these players every day in practice, if they felt Sage was better than Schaub, Schaub would be the one being dealt.

Polo
02-23-2009, 03:20 PM
What do you mean he just kept it?--he didn't start a single game in 2007. In the off-season Kubiak decided he had won the starting SLB job for 2008.

aka there was competition and once it got strong enough, a new starter was inserted.

All this no competition talk is just fan chatter. There hasn't been anything to indicate this coaching staff doesn't believe they are fielding the best team off the roster.

Pretty much exaclty what I said and the point I was trying to make. There wasn't much in game evidence to say that Diles would make a good starter at OLB, but once he was named the starter 'he kept it'.

Diles was named the starter in the off-season, but there was competition for his spot.

Greenwood and Weaver were over-paid and once we got to a point where we could afford to do it, we cut ties.

The Pencil Neck
02-23-2009, 03:22 PM
I really hope this falls through. By the look of things a little more negotiation might be needed as far as the draft pick (hopefully 4th or even 3rd.. I can dream!)

Anyways, I think this could really help us out this offseason. Recieving a mid-round pick would allow the Texans to have a few bargaining chips in case they need to move up a spot or two in the 2nd to secure a coveted player that might have dropped. I'm fairly aware that the Texans never trade up under the Smith regime but at the same time this is the first year the front office has had all of their picks and more to work with (barring a minicamp 4th round deduction). I would love to throw a later pick in and pickup someone like a Louis Delmas in the second.

Just a little food for thought..

You know, "falls through" usually means "doesn't happen."

Your first sentence and the rest of your post belong in two different posts. :)

Sal Rosenberg
02-23-2009, 03:22 PM
I think Matt was the obvious choice.I just think they should have let them duke it out until preseason.I think the coachs were correct and Rosencopter needs to take off!

Ole Miss Texan
02-23-2009, 03:23 PM
When you're on a football team, you're always in competition of the starter's spot. They "handed" the job to Schaub with good reason. He is a better QB and when you traded for him you're hoping he's your future franchise QB, so you let him get most of the reps.

Sage had his shot this year to prove he was better the Schaub and should be the starter. you know what he did? He fudged up and showed Kubiak that he couldn't handle it. End of story. If Sage goes out there and plays those 6 games like he was meant to be this teams starting QB, we'd have a QB controversy. During those games, he showed us he's never going to beat out Schaub. Go ahead and fault Kubiak though.

infantrycak
We did screw Rosemary by not at least letting him compete with Matt.

And other than fan speculation we know this how? This kind of stuff is so irritating. One or more fans speculate about something and then it morphs into accepted fact.

Where was there even a whiff of a statement that Kubiak was ever not firmly convicted, by watching both Schaub and Sage practice and play, that Schaub was the better QB?

badboy
If Weaver is cut, who is your DE right now? Bulman? You are really hoping you hit it right in the draft now. You can't miss or select a project saying, "he can play behind Weaver until he is experienced."

HoustonFrog

How are you supposed to know when they are special? Romo was 3rd stringer. Brady was a backup. Sage had his shot in many towns, including here and proved he was incapable of keeping a job because he can't protect the ball. He proved why he didn't become the starter in Miami or elsewhere. We didn't screw him.

These guys compete weekly in practice and in camp. The coaching staffs are there to evaluate. They obviously felt like Schaub was the starter. Last season bore out their decision with Sage losing a game on his own and doing what he has done all along..play great at times but making rookie mistakes that makes him a backup. So saying he never got a shot is pure speculation.

We didn't screw anybody......Sage had his chance when Schaub was out (that's how backup QBs win jobs, by seizing the opportunity.) Sage failed and when Schaub came back it was blatantly obvious who the better QB was.

That's something else people don't realize, our coaching staff watches both these players every day in practice, if they felt Sage was better than Schaub, Schaub would be the one being dealt.

Beat me to it. Well said.

Ole Miss Texan
02-23-2009, 03:24 PM

Well, you said it better than I could. Nice post.

will742
02-23-2009, 03:25 PM
You know, "falls through" usually means "doesn't happen."

Your first sentence and the rest of your post belong in two different posts. :)

Haha thanks for that, I don't know where my head is this afternoon. Hopefully that edit fixes my oxymoron of a post. :thumbup

Sal Rosenberg
02-23-2009, 03:27 PM
And other than fan speculation we know this how? This kind of stuff is so irritating. One or more fans speculate about something and then it morphs into accepted fact.

Where was there even a whiff of a statement that Kubiak was ever not firmly convicted, by watching both Schaub and Sage practice and play, that Schaub was the better QB?

It is just my opinion My friend.:fans:

infantrycak
02-23-2009, 03:44 PM
It is just my opinion My friend.:fans:

Well then let me rephrase--why is that your opinion? Other than Schaub not being benched, what points to Kubiak never giving Sage a chance?

FYI--this issue wasn't directed solely to you but yours was the last example and so quoted. thunderkyss made a similar assertion--maybe he can substantiate his.

Ole Miss Texan
02-23-2009, 03:46 PM
Any more news on Weaver?

Sal Rosenberg
02-23-2009, 03:48 PM
Well then let me rephrase--why is that your opinion? Other than Schaub not being benched, what points to Kubiak never giving Sage a chance?
Didn't Kubiak give Matt the job before day 1?I was agreeing with the original poster.I really could care less if Sage got his feeling hurt or not .Kubiak made the right move.

Nawzer
02-23-2009, 03:49 PM
Goodbye Sage! You're a good guy and a true professional. Goodluck with the Vikings. Glad to see us get another draft pick.

El Tejano
02-23-2009, 03:56 PM
Any more news on Weaver?

What news on Weaver?

badboy
02-23-2009, 03:58 PM
What news on Weaver?Someone, somewhere on MB said he heard that Weaver was being cut. No verification yet.

Sal Rosenberg
02-23-2009, 03:58 PM
Someone, somewhere on MB said he heard that Weaver was being cut. No verification yet.

We need to throw him in the deal!

badboy
02-23-2009, 04:01 PM
We need to throw him in the deal!I understand your frustration, but if you were Vikings, would you want him and his contract?

TEXANS84
02-23-2009, 04:10 PM
If Weaver is cut, who is your DE right now? Bulman? You are really hoping you hit it right in the draft now. You can't miss or select a project saying, "he can play behind Weaver until he is experienced."

I honestly would be happy if Bullman is our starting DE over Weaver. He's worked with Frank Bush his entire career and knows that Bush is going to be alot more aggressive.
I can almost see Bullman as a sleeping Kyle Vanden Bosch. Came from Arizona when nobody gave him a chance. Same scenario, could be the same outcome if only given a chance.

4Texans
02-23-2009, 04:11 PM
Didn't Kubiak give Matt the job before day 1?I was agreeing with the original poster.I really could care less if Sage got his feeling hurt or not .Kubiak made the right move.

Pretty much as I recall. Sage was signed as a FA looking for a job, while we traded 2 second round picks for Matt.

Blake
02-23-2009, 04:27 PM

FYI--this issue wasn't directed solely to you but yours was the last example and so quoted. thunderkyss made a similar assertion--maybe he can substantiate his.

When you bring in a QB, pay two 2nd round draft picks, and give him a huge contract you are pretty much saying he is our guy. And I cant remember a single instance of Kubiak saying that Schaub will still have to battle Sage or that it was an open competition.

He never said that the job was Schaubs to lose, but then again I guess he never had to. That is my opinion.

badboy
02-23-2009, 04:28 PM
I honestly would be happy if Bullman is our starting DE over Weaver. He's worked with Frank Bush his entire career and knows that Bush is going to be alot more aggressive.
I can almost see Bullman as a sleeping Kyle Vanden Bosch. Came from Arizona when nobody gave him a chance. Same scenario, could be the same outcome if only given a chance.I like Bulman but not as a starter, not yet anyway. I see Shaunessey, Ayers, Kreuger ahead of Bulman

thunderkyss
02-23-2009, 04:28 PM
lol, if Sage only commands a 4th rounder, how do you think we're going to get a 2nd by throwing in garbage players?

Weaver is an overpriced, underperforming, post-injury DE we are about to cut. Anderson is a conditional WR with minimal experience, and Brown was injured all year and may never play again. How those guys equate to anything is beyond me

I'm going with shear numbers........... they want a QB that might start, he should be at least a conditional 3rd. Weaver is a body they can get cheap since we've already given a lot of money to. He might not be a difference maker, but for the right price I'm sure he'll find a place on their team. Brown......... let's hope for the best.......... now Anderson, I think he's in the same spot that Walter was in when he was in Cincinatti. We're deep in talent at the WR position, otherwise he'd see more playing time.

I'd give them Sage & TJ for a second. But then we're stuck with Weaver.

4Texans
02-23-2009, 04:36 PM
I'd give them Sage & TJ for a second. But then we're stuck with Weaver.

We don't want to get stuck with Weaver. I wouldn't be surprised to see TJ really step up his game this year. It's TJ's contract year, right?

thunderkyss
02-23-2009, 04:45 PM

IMHO, if Kubiak truly felt the way he says he felt about Sage, we never would have brought Schaub in, and named him the starter before he even got to Houston.

I don't know that Sage couldn't have started for this team, and delivered two 8-8 seasons........ I'd have put my money on more than likely though.

I was never in favor of shelling out two 2nds, and a starters contract to Michael Vick's back-up.

I think this is a very QB friendly system, with very talented receivers.......

I like Bulman but not as a starter, not yet anyway. I see Shaunessey, Ayers, Kreuger ahead of Bulman

We've got Bullman, Nading, and Cochran....... I don't think our DE play is going to drop if we move Weaver.

SteveSlaton20
02-23-2009, 04:47 PM
Dear God,

Please let this happen.

Sincerely,
Every Texans fans.

dalemurphy
02-23-2009, 04:50 PM
Dear God,

Please let this happen.

Sincerely,
Every Texans fans.

I'm having second thoughts about this deal... I just posted this over at inthebullseye.com:

Thinking more about it, I don't know if a 4th makes sense. It seems to me that we could keep him and let him run out his contract. Then, next year, when he walks, we'd be in line for a compensatory pick for him. My guess is he'd likely get us at least a 5th round compensatory pick... I know that the compensatory picks are based on a net gain/loss in free agency but next season there are a lot of guys we're in jeopardy of losing:

Dunta
Pitts
OD?
RButler
Dryans
Cthompson
Dressens
DAnderson
WDemps
CBrown

and others... just something else to think about.

bigbrewster2000
02-23-2009, 05:02 PM
I'm having second thoughts about this deal... I just posted this over at inthebullseye.com:

Thinking more about it, I don't know if a 4th makes sense. It seems to me that we could keep him and let him run out his contract. Then, next year, when he walks, we'd be in line for a compensatory pick for him. My guess is he'd likely get us at least a 5th round compensatory pick... I know that the compensatory picks are based on a net gain/loss in free agency but next season there are a lot of guys we're in jeopardy of losing:

Dunta
Pitts
OD?
RButler
Dryans
Cthompson
Dressens
DAnderson
WDemps
CBrown

and others... just something else to think about.
most of those guys are not worthy of a compensatory pick and the ones that are are going to be re-signed. I think you are greatly over valuing Sage. He isnt worth 2 picks. 4th or 3rd if we get really lucky. We are lucky to be gtting anything for a career backup.

PapaL
02-23-2009, 05:06 PM
YES!

Now I get to see more of the Wild Turkey Offense with Turk taking snaps at QB, faking a pitch to Speed Slaton and gashing the D for another 20 yard gain.

Who needs a backup QB when you got the Wild Turkey back there?

Seriously, we don't need a HOF backup QB. Just someone to manage the game and let our playmakers make plays.

dalemurphy
02-23-2009, 05:09 PM
most of those guys are not worthy of a compensatory pick and the ones that are are going to be re-signed. I think you are greatly over valuing Sage. He isnt worth 2 picks. 4th or 3rd if we get really lucky. We are lucky to be gtting anything for a career backup.

The compensatory picks are largely based on what the FA signs his new contract for. If Sage gets 3yrs and $9 million and we lose Dunta next year, depending on who we picked up of significance, we'd be in line for a 3rd and probably a 5th. That's assuming we re-sign Pitts, DRyans, RButler, OD... By the way, if Demps or Chris Brown or Dressens were to have a productive season, they would be potential for small compensations if they left as well.

disaacks3
02-23-2009, 05:12 PM
YES!

Now I get to see more of the Wild Turkey Offense with Turk taking snaps at QB, faking a pitch to Speed Slaton and gashing the D for another 20 yard gain.

Seriously, we don't need a HOF backup center. Just someone to manage the game and let our playmakers make plays. We Definitely need a backup HOF center!! We just don't need one UNDER center... :thisbig:

barrett
02-23-2009, 05:13 PM
I think it's a risk to trade Sage. It's a good risk and I hope it gets done. If Schaub isn't healthy it could backfire. At the same time that extra pick is very appealing. It all depends on the value of the pick. I think the Texans can be firm with their asking price because the QB's are so weak right now across the NFL. If it doesn't get done then we have the possible compensation next year as well as another season to see if Schaub can play 16.

I think we win either way.

PapaL
02-23-2009, 05:18 PM
We Definitely need a backup HOF center!! We just don't need one UNDER center... :thisbig:

:mcnugget:

Edited...

Big Poundcake
02-23-2009, 05:40 PM
I like the deal.

I'd also be interested in bringing in QB Chris Simms.

Simms is friends with Kyle Shanahan.

Simms would have weapons to work with in Houston in AJ,Daniels,Walter and Slaton.

Simms would come cheap and get a fresh start for himself.

I think it would be a good move for both parties.

dalemurphy
02-23-2009, 05:41 PM
I like the deal.

I'd also be interested in bringing in QB Chris Simms.

Simms is friends with Kyle Shanahan.

Simms would have weapons to work with in Houston in AJ,Daniels,Walter and Slaton.

Simms would come cheap and get a fresh start for himself.

I think it would be a good move for both parties.

Maybe it's just me but I don't want any players whose name is tatooed on the ankle of one of our coordinators.

Hardcore Texan
02-23-2009, 05:45 PM
I think Chris Simms has the chance to be a pretty decent QB in the league.

bah007
02-23-2009, 05:58 PM
Didn't Simms sign an extension with the Titans?

wags
02-23-2009, 06:02 PM

Not yet. I believe the Bears and others are interested in him.

Specnatz
02-23-2009, 06:11 PM
IMHO, if Kubiak truly felt the way he says he felt about Sage, we never would have brought Schaub in, and named him the starter before he even got to Houston.

I don't know that Sage couldn't have started for this team, and delivered two 8-8 seasons........ I'd have put my money on more than likely though.

I was never in favor of shelling out two 2nds, and a starters contract to Michael Vick's back-up.

I think this is a very QB friendly system, with very talented receivers.......

We've got Bullman, Nading, and Cochran....... I don't think our DE play is going to drop if we move Weaver.

How can you think that he would have led the team to two 8-8 season when he is at the helm the team is not doing as well as when Schaub is? Sage's rating is worse and his Int% was 5.o in '08 and 5.0 in '07 way higher than Schaub. Did you think we had talented receivers prior to 2008, much less in 2007?

As far as a QB system goes, yes the WC is but you still have to have a QB who reads and reacts quickly and does not force the ball. I guess San Francisco could have just plugged Mike Tomczak in and still won back to back Super Bowls.

Specnatz
02-23-2009, 06:12 PM

Not yet. I believe the Bears and others are interested in him.

He signed a multi-year deal with Tenn at first and then was cut and then brought back. Never understood how that worked.

dtran04
02-23-2009, 06:18 PM

With the way this offseason has been going, watch Rick Smith/Kyle Shanahan get in trouble for tampering or something like that for talking to Chris Simms. LOL

Spled
02-23-2009, 06:33 PM
Simms already has Shanahan's name tattoed to his arse. They should work well together.

HoustonFrog
02-23-2009, 07:18 PM
YES!

Seriously, we don't need a HOF backup QB. Just someone to manage the game and let our playmakers make plays.

EXACTLY!!I am wondering where this value for Sage is coming from...especially after last season. You don't hinge seasons on hoping you have a great backup because there are always injuries. Look at the teams that made it far this year....consistent with their starter and minimal injuries. The only one you can sort of say this didn't happen with was the Cards but Warner played the whole season.

Goldensilence
02-23-2009, 07:40 PM

I'm just saying.

Love the logic in this. Forget Doug Flutie's very successful CFL career. Difference is those guys had the tools to step in and take the job over...Sage doesn't.

Personally I think it's best for both parties that the trade goes down. If Rick does get a fourth out of this he's got a great jump start on the offseason.

I'm seeing a lot of the same things I saw last year when this trade was proposed. We don't need a all pro back up. What we need is a guy that can hand the ball off, get passes to AJ, and not melt down trying to take the starter job.

For those proposing Simms.....did you never watch UT football? We might complain about Sage but Simms was a career UT choke artist.

Grams
02-23-2009, 07:59 PM
Love the logic in this. Forget Doug Flutie's very successful CFL career. Difference is those guys had the tools to step in and take the job over...Sage doesn't.

Personally I think it's best for both parties that the trade goes down. If Rick does get a fourth out of this he's got a great jump start on the offseason.

I'm seeing a lot of the same things I saw last year when this trade was proposed. We don't need a all pro back up. What we need is a guy that can hand the ball off, get passes to AJ, and not melt down trying to take the starter job.

For those proposing Simms.....did you never watch UT football? We might complain about Sage but Simms was a career UT choke artist.

Some have selective memories. Major Applewhite was much better.

HoustonFrog
02-23-2009, 08:13 PM

I agree with his UT career but he actually helped lead Tampa to the playoffs in 2006 and was a dropped pass away from winning a tough playoff game against Washington. He did his part. Too bad the WR choked. More than many QBs we have seen this day. I think he is a prissy type and not my fave but I can't take his play that year away from him.

vtech9
02-23-2009, 08:13 PM
old news at this point, but SR610 is reporting it also.

SportsRadio 610 has learned Houston Texans Quarterback Sage Rosenfels is expected to be traded to the Minnesota Vikings for an undisclosed draft pick. The Vikings have offered a 3 year $9 million extension to Rosenfels. Rosenfels will be expected to compete with Tavaris Jackson for the starting job in Minnesota.

thunderkyss
02-23-2009, 08:19 PM

Don't get me wrong, I'm with the trade. Those guys I mentioned had nothing to do with Sage, but more in line with Brinks, or whatever undrafted FA QB we might pick up.

dalemurphy
02-23-2009, 08:20 PM
I asked John McClain in his blog if he will be able to give us any further news before midnight on Thursday. He didn't respond in his blog but he did email me. I'm not supposed to copy or redistribute the email. So, I'll paraphrase what he said:

Done deal for a 4th round pick. Nothing can be announced until midnight on Thursday.

Big Poundcake
02-23-2009, 08:27 PM
Maybe it's just me but I don't want any players whose name is tatooed on the ankle of one of our coordinators.I knew that was going to be brought up.

First of all, I don't think the Texans would have made this deal unless they felt confident in being able to find a capable backup QB.

I have no idea if they interested in Simms, but it would not surprise me if they did. Like I said, Simms and Shanahan are buds. Simms wants a place to go where he might get a chance. I think the Texans and Simms would be good for each other.

Schaub hasn't been able to stay healthy the last couple years. If Simms signs here, then he knows that he could get a chance to step in and start if Schaub goes down. I think Simms would come cheap and this could be the best situation for himself.

I do hope of course that Schaub stays healthy.
Who knows, the Texans may not have any interest in Simms.

Either way, I'm glad the Texans likely traded Ronsenfels.

infantrycak
02-23-2009, 08:36 PM
When you bring in a QB, pay two 2nd round draft picks, and give him a huge contract you are pretty much saying he is our guy. And I cant remember a single instance of Kubiak saying that Schaub will still have to battle Sage or that it was an open competition.

He never said that the job was Schaubs to lose, but then again I guess he never had to. That is my opinion.

So in other words, the lack of a a qualifying statement leads to an assumption.

So in other words, your not liking the trade leads to an assumption.

Let's not consider things like Sage doesn't see the middle of the field--it must be Kubiak just won't consider him for the job, even though that winning v. losing thing kind of determines his future.

Lucky
02-23-2009, 08:37 PM
I have to admit that I'm surprised, for a couple of reasons. First, Rosenfels is pretty good backup QB and there's not much out there on the market to replace him. Second, I thought Sage had destroyed his trade value with his performance in '08.

This really speaks to the lack of good QB play in this league. There are not 32 quality QBs in the NFL. So you have a Tarvaris Jackson and a Sage Rosenfels competing for a starting job on a playoff team. Sad, really.

Owen Daniels. Fred Bennett. Xavier Adibi. Kubiak and crew have done a good job in the 4th round. As long as the Texans can get a decent backup QB in free agency, this is a fair deal.

Runner
02-23-2009, 08:42 PM
I have to admit that I'm surprised, for a couple of reasons. First, Rosenfels is pretty good backup QB and there's not much out there on the market to replace him. Second, I thought Sage had destroyed his trade value with his performance in '08.

How various teams balance these two conflicting views make this a viable trade. There are people here who really dislike Sage because he lost the Indy game. However to an observer less invested in the Texans, that may be seen as a few mintues of bad play and a great learning experience.

CloakNNNdagger
02-23-2009, 08:44 PM
I knew that was going to be brought up.

First of all, I don't think the Texans would have made this deal unless they felt confident in being able to find a capable backup QB.

I have no idea if they interested in Simms, but it would not surprise me if they did. Like I said, Simms and Shanahan are buds. Simms wants a place to go where he might get a chance. I think the Texans and Simms would be good for each other.

Schaub hasn't been able to stay healthy the last couple years. If Simms signs here, then he knows that he could get a chance to step in and start if Schaub goes down. I think Simms would come cheap and this could be the best situation for himself.

I do hope of course that Schaub stays healthy.
Who knows, the Texans may not have any interest in Simms.

Either way, I'm glad the Texans likely traded Ronsenfels.

I would not be basking in security just yet. The Texans' "confidence" tends too many times to actually reflect overconfidence........that results too many times in lack of attention to certain important weaknesses which their fans seem to appreciate much sooner.

wags
02-23-2009, 08:52 PM
I have to admit that I'm surprised, for a couple of reasons. First, Rosenfels is pretty good backup QB and there's not much out there on the market to replace him.

I agree. It will be interesting to see who the braintrust replaces him with, because history tells us that person will probably start 3 to 4 games next year.

nunusguy
02-23-2009, 08:57 PM

The answer appears to be that while the Vikes for whatever reason still saw value, Sage did succeed in destroying any confidance that Kubiak had in him.
But I'm wondering what Kubiaks fall back position is here? I'm sure he's not expecting to find his #2 in this years Draft, so unless he thinks he can just go into FA and grab a backup, does anyone have a feel for how much of a future Alex Brink might have here ? I see he's still on our roster.

Lucky
02-23-2009, 09:05 PM
...unless he thinks he can just go into FA and grab a backup...
I don't see Kubiak having a choice. I doubt there are more than 3 or 4 QBs in this draft ready to step up as a backup QB. They'll be gone before the Texans are ready to take one. Alex Brink is a fringe practice squad QB. He's not the answer. There must be someone in free agency that Kubiak has his eye on. There must be.

TexansSeminole
02-23-2009, 09:11 PM
I don't see Kubiak having a choice. I doubt there are more than 3 or 4 QBs in this draft ready to step up as a backup QB. They'll be gone before the Texans are ready to take one. Alex Brink is a fringe practice squad QB. He's not the answer. There must be someone in free agency that Kubiak has his eye on. There must be.

What about Garcia? He can still move around a little bit and run that playaction bootleg that Kubiak loves so much.

The1ApplePie
02-23-2009, 09:19 PM
Who will play half the season for Fragile Matty?

Plenty of good QBs in the later round that could at least manage the game for us

Old School
02-23-2009, 09:24 PM
What about Garcia? He can still move around a little bit and run that playaction bootleg that Kubiak loves so much.
Garcia wants to start, not hold a clipboard

False Start
02-23-2009, 09:25 PM
Don't let the door hit you on the way out Sage. Before the Indy game I had some confidence in him, after he was on my sh!t list. If we can get an extra pick, and a fourth rounder at that, then hell yeah. There are a few QBs that have been mentioned in this thread that I think can do the job. This is a good thing and I'm glad its happening, at least it looks like it. :jam: :cool:

Speedy
02-23-2009, 10:02 PM
Who will play half the season for Fragile Matty?

Plenty of good QBs in the later round that could at least manage the game for us

Let's see a very large man take a couple of cheap shots at your knees to see just how fragile you are. Let's get off the fragile Matt BS. I guess Brady's pretty fragile then?

Sage has been and never will be anything more than a very adequate backup. Getting a 4th rounder for him is a steal. Who you get to replace him, I don't know and don't really care at the moment. I just know you make that deal, career backup for a 4th, every time. They probably should have done it last year when you might have been able to get a 3rd...maybe. Let's get it done this time.

TexansSeminole
02-23-2009, 10:13 PM

I read an article where he said he didn't have to start, that he would understand and accept a backup role.

The1ApplePie
02-23-2009, 10:24 PM
Let's see a very large man take a couple of cheap shots at your knees to see just how fragile you are. Let's get off the fragile Matt BS. I guess Brady's pretty fragile then?

Every QB takes cheapshots, everyone gets hit. Few miss as many games as Matt Schaub. Brady has only missed games thanks to an ACL injury, that's it. Same with Manning.

Matt is a ton better than Sage, no question, he just won't finish a season.

Hooston Texan
02-23-2009, 10:30 PM
How various teams balance these two conflicting views make this a viable trade. There are people here who really dislike Sage because he lost the Indy game. However to an observer less invested in the Texans, that may be seen as a few mintues of bad play and a great learning experience.

That theoretical less-invested observer must have not watched the Cleveland and Jacksonville games where Sage threw picks in terrible, terrible situations--with his team leading. As it happens, the defense and running games bailed him out (who knew?), but it was obvious by the middle of the Jag game that Kubiak had lost all confidence in Sage.

For that reason, I say you take the deal and run. There are plenty of veteran QBs looking for work who can run an offense. No, they're not starters, but they can be decent backups. With the way that Kubiak does not trust Sage (judging by the last three quarters of the Jags game and the rumors that Sage is not happy with his treatment by the coaches), we'd probably be better off with a different backup, trade or not.

Wolf
02-23-2009, 10:49 PM
I am amazed. at the viewpoints..

First off.yes if the trade is done, there needs to be a backup plan other than a rookie..

2nd is, I don't think there was much fan fare when sage was brought in as a free agent and he did a good enough job to win some fans over.

I Personally am thinking that if we can get something out of him (as far as a trade) do it , because he is gone in a year and we hopefully will be a stronger team and need a backup that knows the system and if sage is it and leaves after next season, we would be in a hole.

Buffi2
02-23-2009, 11:02 PM
It is time for Sage to go to other pastures, or fields as the case might be. The Indy game was his undoing and no one will ever forget it no matter what he does here. After that game, the play calling became very conservative, to say the least, when Sage was in the game. I'm not even surprised at this turn of events. I expected it, actually. I just hope someone has a Plan B for Backup.

TexansFan33
02-23-2009, 11:36 PM
We need to ship him out of here and get a capable backup to schaub.

Mari-OWNED!
02-23-2009, 11:54 PM
We need to ship him out of here and get a capable backup to schaub.

We could make everyone in West Virginia cream their pants by drafting Pat White.

Bob McNair should really look into that, it would definitely bring a larger fanbase outside the city of Houston.

More $$$$$

rarazz00
02-24-2009, 12:58 AM
I just checked the Chronicle and McClain says the deal is done but can't officially do the deal until Friday...Houston does get Minnesota's 4th rounder out of the deal. Weaver cut and won't comment until friday:fans:

Dread-Head
02-24-2009, 01:05 AM
I just checked the Chronicle and McClain says the deal is done but can't officially do the deal until Friday...Houston does get Minnesota's 4th rounder out of the deal. Weaver cut and won't comment until friday:fans:

MOTHER-TRUCKER!!!:mad: Polychoronopolous...

imatexan
02-24-2009, 01:24 AM
4th rounder!:gun:

Dont like it.

I hope we at least get something in 2010.

DiehardChris
02-24-2009, 01:27 AM
Eh, it's not official until Friday. Every other GM in the league now knows the price, so they have all week to call Rick Smith with a better offer.

Marcus
02-24-2009, 02:51 AM
4th rounder!:gun:

Dont like it.

I hope we at least get something in 2010.

We got Owen Daniels in the 4th round, didn't we? Quityerbitchin.:bat:

They're getting rid of the deadwood. Applaud the move.

"Yeah but they should have gotten a third for him!" :crying:

:rolleyes:

keyser
02-24-2009, 03:28 AM
What I would like to hear is that there is some additional conditional pick thrown in (such as, if he starts > 50% of their games, then we get next year's 4th also, or something). I'm not sure I ever hear about conditional picks for trades made before the draft, though (it seems to be for the later ones, dealing with draft picks in future years).

I'm a bit worried that the 4th won't be enough to replace Sage's value to the team (I hope Kubiak is secretly super-happy with Brink or someone), but as others have mentioned, it's nice that we turned a free agent into a draft pick!

Grams
02-24-2009, 06:13 AM
After the Indy game, Sage has no real value to the team. I would believe he lost any kind of leadership abilities/standing he had with the team after that meltdown.

A 4th is pretty good considering. Trade him - get what you can and move on down the road.

Mr teX
02-24-2009, 08:03 AM
What I would like to hear is that there is some additional conditional pick thrown in (such as, if he starts > 50% of their games, then we get next year's 4th also, or something). I'm not sure I ever hear about conditional picks for trades made before the draft, though (it seems to be for the later ones, dealing with draft picks in future years).

I'm a bit worried that the 4th won't be enough to replace Sage's value to the team (I hope Kubiak is secretly super-happy with Brink or someone), but as others have mentioned, it's nice that we turned a free agent into a draft pick!

that would be possible if he was worth anything...THIS IS SAGE ROSENFELS PEOPLE! He's not gonna command Brett Favre type deals. I'm just glad we get anything at all for him....& we get rid of Weaver.......:kingkong:

HoustonFrog
02-24-2009, 08:49 AM

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3911129

"I do feel like I have football life in me,'' Garcia said. "I feel I can still contribute. I'm not sure what my role will be with another team. I'm not looking at it like I need to start and be the man ... Hopefully, I'll have some opportunities out there. I'm pretty sure there's going to be something out there for me.

Also, I'm not sure where some people get this starter/over the top value on Sage. He is a competent backup that has never cracked a starting lineup when given a chance..many now. He makes plays and ALSO loses games. I'd take FAs like Patrick Ramsey, Batch, JT O'Sullivan and a host of others who are in the same ballpark as Sage and who can manage a game while a starter is down. That is what most backups do. Stop making Sage the patron saint of backups.

GP
02-24-2009, 09:04 AM
Pat White and Steve Slaton.

Don't know about anybody else, but I like the sound of that.

Only problem: I think a team will take Pat White in the first round, and he will definitely not be there after the 2nd round.

There's a lot of teams with QB issues, and White has helped his stock late in the year. Would we pull a Philly Eagles and go "Kolb" by grabbing a high-profile QB? I like the idea, personally, since Matt Schaub can get injured again. Trotting out White & Slaton would be exciting, IMO, in comparison to having Sage as the backup.

Pantherstang84
02-24-2009, 09:10 AM
With all of the cutting going on in the coaching ranks and players, the Texans are starting to resemble the "Texas Chainsaw Massacre". Personally, I'm glad to see it. It shows me that Mr. McNair and Co. are serious about having a winning franchise.

powerfuldragon
02-24-2009, 09:50 AM
i like sage. best of luck to him with the vikes.

Hervoyel
02-24-2009, 10:16 AM
A 4th round pick was a great price. We literally picked the Vikings pockets on this if they don't come to their senses before Friday. It's just a shame that we lost out on the possible 3 last year that we could have gotten from him if we'd struck while the iron was hot.

I like Sage too dragon and I do wish him good luck. I just don't want him on my team and think that anytime you can trade a career backup with delusions of grandeur for a pick that's worth more than he is then you gotta do that.

ChampionTexan
02-24-2009, 10:21 AM
A 4th round pick was a great price. We literally picked the Vikings pockets on this if they don't come to their senses before Friday. It's just a shame that we lost out on the possible 3 last year that we could have gotten from him if we'd struck while the iron was hot.

I like Sage too dragon and I do wish him good luck. I just don't want him on my team and think that anytime you can trade a career backup with delusions of grandeur for a pick that's worth more than he is then you gotta do that.

Yep - Sage is a QB who will not embarrass his team, and can win at a clip better than 2-14 if forced to start or play. Those were the goals when we signed him, and he pretty much succeeded. Our goals are considerably higher at this point.

Thorn
02-24-2009, 10:24 AM
I wish Sage the best of luck. He's both pulled us out in some tight spots and won games and made some really bone headed plays to lose games.

beerlover
02-24-2009, 10:26 AM
Yep - Sage is a QB who will not embarrass his team, and can win at a clip better than 2-14 if forced to start or play. Those were the goals when we signed him, and he pretty much succeeded. Our goals are considerably higher at this point.

Colt meltdown not embarrassing :headhurts:

Dread-Head
02-24-2009, 10:42 AM
To quote Fred Flintstone and Yosemite Sam:

(mumbling)"Rack fracka brack. Frack brack...rack frackin' frack racka brack..."

TEXANS84
02-24-2009, 11:14 AM

http://www.misunderestimation.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/rosencoltmvp.jpg

Hagar
02-24-2009, 11:31 AM
Y'all can make fun of him if you like, but something tells me you'll miss him at some point next year. Probably, after we play against Fat Albert.

TimeKiller
02-24-2009, 11:35 AM
Fat Albert? We don't play Atlanta next year do we? :stirpot:

Pantherstang84
02-24-2009, 11:43 AM

I'm sure we won't let Fat Albert touch Schaub during practice. :stirpot: :stirpot:

badboy
02-24-2009, 11:52 AM
It would be interesting if someone would compare what was available last year when Minnesota's 3rd round was selected and what might be available at the 4th round selection this draft.

ChampionTexan
02-24-2009, 11:55 AM

Sage embarrassed himself, but nobody accused the offense under his direction of not looking like an NFL unit. Even in the ill-fated Colts game.

On the other hand, there are QB's in the league (including one who's started games for us) who are capable of making the entire offense look like it's a mediocre High School unit.

Grams
02-24-2009, 01:53 PM

Are we playing the Redskins next season? Think Romo needs to learn to drop into the fetal position.

SteveSlaton20
02-24-2009, 04:11 PM
We could make everyone in West Virginia cream their pants by drafting Pat White.

Bob McNair should really look into that, it would definitely bring a larger fanbase outside the city of Houston.

More $$$$$

God, you have no idea how much I would love that.

My grandpa and grandma are from West Virginia and my Uncle is a big fan of WVU.

They're one of the teams that I will always root for.

Silver Oak
02-24-2009, 04:38 PM
Y'all can make fun of him if you like, but something tells me you'll miss him at some point next year. Probably, after we play against Fat Albert.

we took him out once, it can surely be done again. that tub of fat is soft.

Texan_Bill
02-24-2009, 04:40 PM
If only we had STARTed SAGE, like I wanted, none of this would be going on!! :hides:

:sarcasm:

Errant Hothy
02-24-2009, 04:50 PM
we took him out once, it can surely be done again. that tub of fat is soft.

And if reports are to be believed moving to Washington DC.

TEXANS84
02-24-2009, 04:52 PM
If only we had STARTed SAGE, like I wanted, none of this would be going on!! :hides:
:sarcasm:

Sage was here for one season under David Carr. Why we didn't start him over David still amazes me, especially considering the near comeback at Tennessee.
I call that the Kubiak $1200 mistake. Why? Because that decision cost me $1200....the price of my season tickets.

infantrycak
02-24-2009, 05:00 PM
Sage was here for one season under David Carr. Why we didn't start him over David still amazes me, especially considering the near comeback at Tennessee.
I call that the Kubiak $1200 mistake. Why? Because that decision cost me $1200....the price of my season tickets.

Sage got injured making a tackle on special teams or he almost undoubtedly would have been starting in the latter quarter of the season.

Austrian
02-24-2009, 05:12 PM
Sage got injured making a tackle on special teams or he almost undoubtedly would have been starting in the latter quarter of the season.

Yeah right I almost forgot. He was holder and made the tackle on a missed FG return breaking his wrist or something.

rarazz00
02-24-2009, 05:36 PM
Is Vinny Testeverde available...I wonder whats he got left...:user:

ObsiWan
02-24-2009, 05:37 PM
Don't let the door hit you on the way out Sage. Before the Indy game I had some confidence in him, after he was on my sh!t list. If we can get an extra pick, and a fourth rounder at that, then hell yeah. There are a few QBs that have been mentioned in this thread that I think can do the job. This is a good thing and I'm glad its happening, at least it looks like it. :jam: :cool:

I was wondering if I was the only one thinking that this is Sage's "reward" for costing us a win against the Colts. I think he "tore his drawers" with Bob McNair that very day (wore out his welcome for those not fluent in Ebonics).

ObsiWan
02-24-2009, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1125890#post1125890)

the other half of that decision is that Kubiak got the job (or so a lot of us believe) because he convinced Bob McNair he could make HWWNBN a stud NFL QB. By the time Kubiak realized he could make chicken salad from.... we were into Nov/Dec.

but lets not go into that again.

Honoring Earl 34
02-24-2009, 05:44 PM

I've heard media guys and such say that Sage was clearly better in camp . It's good when the owner and GM have your back .

SteveSlaton20
02-24-2009, 05:46 PM
I'll bet they take a 3rd this year...Pat White or Stephen McGee are the two names that come up as a replacement in the draft for a backup QB.

god no

i bet you SM won't even be drafted this year.

he just isn't a 3rd rounder, nor a 4th rounder.

b0ng
02-24-2009, 05:54 PM
god no

McGee will get drafted based solely on his 40 time if nothing else (He also threw well at the combine).

Old School
02-24-2009, 05:56 PM
I was wondering if I was the only one thinking that this is Sage's "reward" for costing us a win against the Colts. I think he "tore his drawers" with Bob McNair that very day (wore out his welcome for those not fluent in Ebonics).
Haha, glad you translated it for me. I was a little lost there for a second!!:tiphat:

ObsiWan
02-24-2009, 06:04 PM
I've heard media guys and such say that Sage was clearly better in camp . It's good when the owner and GM have your back .

I went to the open camp sessions. I don't recall seeing that Sage was "clearly better" that Schaub this past camp.

Anyone else remember that?

Second Honeymoon
02-24-2009, 06:08 PM
god no

it's crazy that McGee is even in the discussion but he measures up to the other guys athletically and can read a defense even though A&M didn't ask him to do much of that while in College Station and at times the guy looked completely lost...but he is a prospect. He has the tools and with better coaching could develop. He was kind of a hothead at A&M but he did play hard and seemed like a tough SOB.

bah007
02-24-2009, 06:25 PM
god no

There are more than four rounds in the draft.

McGee will get drafted. If I had to guess, I would say 5th round.

He has the physical tools to be successful. If he learns how to make his reads then he could hang around the NFL for a few years as a solid backup QB.

wags
02-24-2009, 06:43 PM
I'm not sure we will draft a qb. If we do maybe it will be a late rounder.

Texans | Will sign quarterback in free agency
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 14:24:06 -0800

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans will sign a veteran quarterback during free agency.

http://kffl.com

bah007
02-24-2009, 06:46 PM

Good. That's what we should do.

If they want to draft a guy late then fine, but I still think we should bring in a vet to be the backup.

DBCooper
02-24-2009, 06:55 PM

You ever watch the guy fall down? He looks like a sack of potatoes.

There is a reason he has a bullseye painted on his chin.

ChampionTexan
02-24-2009, 07:00 PM
Good. That's what we should do.

If they want to draft a guy late then fine, but I still think we should bring in a vet to be the backup.

I agree, and then if they have someone they want to draft late, or sign as an UDFA, that guy and Brink can battle it out for a practice squad slot.

wags
02-24-2009, 07:05 PM
Damon Huard was cut by the Chiefs today. He has had plenty of starting experience the last 3 years. Just another veteran name that is out there right now.

Huard, who started 21 total games the last three seasons, was deemed expendable after rookie Tyler Thigpen’s emergence in 2008. Huard’s best season in Kansas City came in 2006, when he threw 11 touchdown passes and only one interception in 10 games, eight of them starts.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/24/chiefs-cut-surtain-edwards-and-huard/

J-Russ
02-24-2009, 07:08 PM

To add on to the kffl report, McClain gave some names of which FA QBs the Texans could be interested in.

Of the quarterbacks who are expected to become free agents on Friday, the Texans could be interested in Detroit’s Dan Orlovsky, Chicago’s Rex Grossman, Cincinnati’s Ryan Fitzpatrick, Tampa Bay’s Jeff Garcia and Denver’s Patrick Ramsey.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6277538.html

Old School
02-24-2009, 07:09 PM
To add on to the kffl report, McClain stated that we could be interested in these QBs:

If we were to actually go after Grossman I think I would throw up. :headhurts:

HoustonFrog
02-24-2009, 07:10 PM
I've been thinking Patrick Ramsey all along.

b0ng
02-24-2009, 07:13 PM
I'm not lending too much creedence into what McClain is saying right now. The list of QB's seems like he's just spitballing, and I doubt the Texans are going to give away draft plans to McClain.

I think the odds of us signing a FA, drafting a FA, or signing and drafting a FA are all equal.

EDIT: Also, I think the possibility is that a lot of FA QB's are going to look to Houston because we have a high powered offense with a "fragile" QB at the helm.

And lets face it, who wouldn't want to throw it to AJ in practice?

bah007
02-24-2009, 07:13 PM
Huard wouldn't be so bad if we can't land Garcia.

gary
02-24-2009, 07:20 PM
Garcia wants to be a starter I think.

False Start
02-24-2009, 07:24 PM
To add on to the kffl report, McClain gave some names of which FA QBs the Texans could be interested in.

Wow, none of those guys are too exciting. Garcia would be nice, but as Gary said, he wants to be a starter.

b0ng
02-24-2009, 07:25 PM
Mmmmm. Eh, I think Dan-O would be worth a look. Would be super cheap, young enough to mold as well.

WesmanTexanfan
02-24-2009, 07:30 PM
Wow, none of those guys are too exciting. Garcia would be nice, but as Gary said, he wants to be a starter.

My favorite NFL films clip ever is Jeff on the 49ers siedline mid game patroling the sidelines asking his teamates "you got any gum? do you have any gum? got any gum?.................what? no one on this team wants fresh breath?"

love it...

gary
02-24-2009, 07:35 PM
Wow, none of those guys are too exciting. Garcia would be nice, but as Gary said, he wants to be a starter.But I would sign him in a second though.

Wolf
02-24-2009, 07:50 PM
with the names thrown around, I don't know

What I do know is almost everyone went "sage?" when he was signed.

Sage was what he was. so we get a 4th out of him. time will tell

edo783
02-24-2009, 08:46 PM
I think it will probably come down to Simms or Garcia, but Huard may affect that. Simms has some inside push, so he may have the inside track.

eriadoc
02-24-2009, 08:52 PM
The only thing wrong with this Sage deal is that it came a year too late.

Sal Rosenberg
02-24-2009, 09:35 PM
went from a 3rd to a 4th

imatexan
02-24-2009, 09:37 PM
went from a 3rd to a 4th

Thanks for the new news

;)

Sal Rosenberg
02-24-2009, 09:39 PM
sorry his stock was so high at the time.Get to tha CHOPPA !

Hardcore Texan
02-24-2009, 09:52 PM

Of the quarterbacks who are expected to become free agents on Friday, the Texans could be interested in Detroit’s Dan Orlovsky, Chicago’s Rex Grossman, Cincinnati’s Ryan Fitzpatrick, Tampa Bay’s Jeff Garcia and Denver’s Patrick Ramsey.

Besides those mention the other FA QB's are:

Byron Leftwich
JP Losman
Kerry Collins
Kurt Warner

I am missing a couple others. I don't see Collins or Warner's teams letting them get away.

Hardcore Texan
02-24-2009, 09:59 PM
Here's the complete list at least according to the link at the bottom:

Kurt Warner, UFA, Arizona Cardinals
The former MVP and Super Bowl winner has had a resurgent season in Arizona and has his team past the first round of the playoffs. He racked up 4,583 passing yards, his second highest career total for a season, and threw for 30 touchdowns and only 14 interceptions. Also, his passer rating of 96.9 was his best since the '01 season. Warner has not wanted his contract status to be a distraction, but he will be looking for an extension from the team once the season comes to an end. Warner could find another team willing to name him the starter if the Cardinals want to let Matt Leinart take over.

Kerry Collins, UFA, Tennessee Titans
Collins may have recently turned thirty-six, but he helped lead the Titans to the best record in the NFL at 13-3 when the Vince Young situation threatened to put a damper on the entire season. Instead, Collins stepped in and managed the offense well. He may not have looked like the quarterback he was when he led the New York Giants to a Super Bowl appearance early on this decade, but he did prove that he was capable of winning games and protecting the ball enough to allow his offense to run fairly smoothly. He may not have a lot left after this season and a potential Super Bowl run, but he may still be of interest to some teams looking for a steady game manager or an experienced backup for insurance purposes. The Titans may be looking to move forward with Vince Young, but Collins knows the system and could be offered a new contract to keep his services around.

Jeff Garcia, UFA, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Garcia could retire given that he is nearing forty years of age, but many probably expected that he would have hung up his cleats before the just completed season. The veteran just keeps going and going and has kept the Buccaneers competitive. Last season the veteran passer threw for over 2,400 yards and 13 touchdowns in 13 games. This season, in twelve games, he passed for over 2,700 yards and had 12 touchdowns tosses to just six interceptions. He can still manage a game and make things happen often enough to keep defenses honest. He may be asked to stick around somewhere in the league for another season.

Rex Grossman, UFA, Chicago Bears
With all of the criticism that Grossman has had to face, he did lead a Bears team that reached a Super Bowl in ’06. During that season he threw for over 3,100 yards and 23 touchdowns; however, he also turned the ball over 25 times. Grossman lost his starting role to Kyle Orton this season and threw just 62 passes, completing only 32 and having a pair of touchdowns and picks. Grossman may wind up being a career backup.

Kyle Boller, UFA, Baltimore Ravens
Boller has never lived up to the hype that came with him and he was placed on the injured reserve this season. In five seasons of earning sporadic playing time, Boller has thrown more touchdowns than picks just twice. The presence and early success of Joe Flacco guarantee that Boller will be gone after the season, and it is hard to imagine that he’ll be given a shot at starting anywhere. Like Grossman, he seems destined to be a career backup.

Matt Cassel, UFA, New England Patriots
Cassel will be franchised, thus ending his chance to hit the market.

Other Quarterbacks
Charlie Batch, UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers
David Carr, UFA, N.Y. Giants
Ryan Fitzpatrick, UFA, Cincinnati Bengals
Byron Leftwich, UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers
J.P. Losman, UFA, Buffalo Bills
Luke McCown, UFA, Tampa Bay Bucs
Dan Orlovsky, UFA, Detroit
J.T. O'Sullivan San Francisco 49ers
Patrick Ramsey, UFA, Denver Broncos

http://www.footballsfuture.com/freeagents.html

I don't see Simms on the list.

I am starting to get the feeling it's Rex Grossman.

hookinreds
02-24-2009, 10:50 PM
Here's the complete list at least according to the link at the bottom:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/freeagents.html

I don't see Simms on the list.

I am starting to get the feeling it's Rex Grossman.

I say go for Carr. I mean the guy was a #1 over all, and if anyone can make him a stud, it's Kubiak.