PDA

View Full Version : Alabama's Andre Smith plummeting

Wolf
02-21-2009, 06:50 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/around_the_nfl/post/Alabama-s-Andre-Smith-plummeting?urn=nfl,143110

INDIANAPOLIS - Alabama offensive tackle Andre Smith continued to tumble in the eyes of NFL coaches and executives when he couldn't be located Saturday morning to participate in the workouts for linemen.

That follows the bad reviews Smith got from coaches from Alabama and the perception that he did a poor job of interviewing with the media and teams. Smith turned off several coaches when he told them he wasn't participating in the workout because he started training late.

"The kid is killing himself," a source close to Smith said. "He basically told the NFL people he's lazy. This is incredible. ... It doesn't matter if you're ready or not. You at least show up at the workouts and watch."

Some draft analysts had projected Smith, a junior, as a possible No. 1 overall pick in April. Concerns about his character started to surface in a serious way when Alabama head coach Nick Saban kicked him off the team before the Sugar Bowl.

Smith was rumored to be involved with the representative of an agent before the game, a violation of NCAA and NFL Players Association rules. When Alabama turned the issue over to a lawyer who is on retainer with the school to investigate possible violations, Smith initially turned over his bank records but then refused to turn over his phone records, according to two sources.

Saban deemed that a violation of team rules and dismissed Smith, who then turned pro after the bowl game. NFL coaches have been in contact with Alabama officials since then and have not heard good reports on Smith's character, a source said.

Despite so much time off, Smith has gotten out of shape in the view of NFL types.

As one scout put it Friday: "Just another guy who doesn't get it."

According to Smith's agent, Alvin Keels, Smith subsequently flew to Atlanta on Saturday for a workout with a private trainer and is not expected back in Indianapolis.

bah007
02-21-2009, 06:54 PM
Does he not like money?...

Spled
02-21-2009, 08:43 PM
The type of guy that could break a team's heart with the character issues, but he has the potential to be a perennial all pro.

gtexan02
02-21-2009, 08:45 PM
I wouldn't touch the kid. Sounds like he's ready for his NFL payday and thats all he cares about

houstonbola
02-21-2009, 09:32 PM
Sounds like the guy wants the pay without having to do the work.

edo783
02-21-2009, 10:01 PM
Sounds like the guy wants the pay without having to do the work.

AND he wasn't smart enough to do some work to get a really big payday before going into rest mode. Lazy AND not very smart.

TexanSam
02-21-2009, 10:16 PM
I wonder how far he'll eventually fall? Out of the first round possibly?

mexican_texan
02-21-2009, 10:34 PM
We might see something worse than Alan Branch here.

bah007
02-21-2009, 10:41 PM
I moved him from my #3 OT to #4 just based on the events of the last couple of days. He also fell from my #8 overall to #14.

I know one thing though, I wouldn't want this guy on my team if I were a player.

ChampionTexan
02-21-2009, 10:43 PM
Does he not like money?...

I wouldn't touch the kid. Sounds like he's ready for his NFL payday and thats all he cares about

:thinking:

ArlingtonTexan
02-21-2009, 10:47 PM
I wonder how far he'll eventually fall? Out of the first round possibly?

Doubt it. On the field he is the best OL prospect in the draft. Some team (probably in the top half of the 1st round) will think that they can be the ones to overcome/correct/harness his immaturity.

Hottoddie
02-21-2009, 11:19 PM
Doubt it. On the field he is the best OL prospect in the draft. Some team (probably in the top half of the 1st round) will think that they can be the ones to overcome/correct/harness his immaturity.

I doubt he'd get past Oakland.

ChampionTexan
02-21-2009, 11:46 PM

Agreed - I'm guessing that if he can put together even a close to average pro day/individual workout, he'll go before the Texans pick.

painekiller
02-22-2009, 12:05 AM
I saw his interview Friday about the Bowl Game, and thought the kid just doesn't get it. He has had 2 months to come up with a story and he did not have one. Plus he was kicked off the team for being involved with and agent and he just now gets one, a couple of weeks before the combine? Kid is just that an immature kid. I would not want to be the team paying him millions.

rarazz00
02-22-2009, 06:30 AM
Maybe going pro isn't in his head...Don't know what is. If he loves football, he should have been ready for this moment. GM's and coaches see "red flags" when this sort of thing happens...although maybe he didn't want to go to Detroit or St. Louis:thinking:

mussop
02-22-2009, 09:51 AM
He'll still go top 14.

infantrycak
02-22-2009, 10:24 AM
He'll still go top 14.

Good for the Texans if he does.

Ole Miss Texan
02-22-2009, 10:33 AM
Small thing here but the article said he got kicked off the team... I thought Sabin just suspended him for the bowl game.

Anyways, I think some things just get blown out of proportion sometimes. This may make his draft stock drop a bit but the bottom line is he's still one of the best OL prospects this year. He doesn't seem like a high risk, off the field kind of guy regarding drugs, guns, violence, etc.

Some of his recent actions are really just weird, he is wasting himself a lot of money. But he definitely has a place on any number of NFL teams and should still get drafted in the top 10. Lots of teams need OT help. Maybe he doesn't go 2 but he'll go in the top half of the 1st.

We need him to go before us so another guy falls.

TheRealJoker
02-22-2009, 10:35 AM
If he fell to 15 I am confident Gibbs will break him down one way or another. He'd either become the OL he is capable of or he'd have a mental breakdown from all the screaming coming his way.

mattieuk
02-22-2009, 10:48 AM

He isn't even ready for his NFL payday!

rarazz00
02-22-2009, 01:01 PM

Got that right...we can use all the trade help we can get.:texflag:

WolverineFan
02-22-2009, 01:12 PM
He will still go high. Character flags always turn alot of teams off of a player, but some organizations just don't care. Many teams care about talent more than character, that's why they have been drafting in the top 10 every year.

Don't be surprised if the Bengals traded up to get this guy. He fits in well with what they do.

Mari-OWNED!
02-22-2009, 05:39 PM
Don't be surprised if the Bengals traded up to get this guy. He fits in well with what they do.

Bengals have the sixth overall pick. Andre Smith should still be available there. A lot of mocks have the Bengals taking Jason Smith, who IMO is the best offensive lineman coming into the draft.

Spled
02-22-2009, 09:54 PM
He'll clear some running lanes - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84-MwAbj7uw

WolverineFan
02-23-2009, 01:32 AM
Bengals have the sixth overall pick. Andre Smith should still be available there. A lot of mocks have the Bengals taking Jason Smith, who IMO is the best offensive lineman coming into the draft.

I'm sure you got it, but just to clarify that was definetely sarcasm.

Mari-OWNED!
02-23-2009, 06:13 AM
I'm sure you got it, but just to clarify that was definetely sarcasm.

I'm usually good at catching sarcasm, but this time I just didn't catch it... :confused: (Hey at least I'll admit it!)

Mostly because Andre Smith should still go high even after this bs, and that the Bengals also have a high pick. (I guess that's what threw me off...)

Blake
02-23-2009, 07:10 AM
I dont think Andre has much to worry about. Scouts are going to base most of what they think off the tape resume, and Andre has that. So instead of possibly going #2, he will be going 6-10.

WolverineFan
02-23-2009, 09:01 AM
I'm usually good at catching sarcasm, but this time I just didn't catch it... :confused: (Hey at least I'll admit it!)

Mostly because Andre Smith should still go high even after this bs, and that the Bengals also have a high pick. (I guess that's what threw me off...)

I agree he will still go high and the Bengals are @ #6. I just thought it would be funny if I portrayed it as they couldn't risk not getting him because his character is perfectly suited to their locker room.

Just a little joke because these days the Bengals can't seem to sign a player that doesn't have character issues.

Hence them resigning Chris Henry last year and keeping Chad Johnson and now it looks like they will let Houshmandzadeh walk.

Mr teX
02-23-2009, 09:26 AM
He's plummeting now, but if he shows up at bama's pro day & wows, he'll be right back up there.

4Texans
02-23-2009, 10:19 AM
He's plummeting now, but if he shows up at bama's pro day & wows, he'll be right back up there.

No doubt he'll still be in the top ten right now. If he continues to screw things up though, he may still be the first player taken, just in the 2nd Round and not the 1st.

Either way he's losing some serious $$$$$$$$.

Figure Smith would have pulled in a guaranteed $30 million as the No. 1 pick of this year’s draft. We think that’s fair considering last year’s No. 1 pick Jake Long was an offensive tackle like Smith and we’re accounting for the fact that the economics of the game might not provide for the usual bump that happens each year.

Let’s put Smith as the fourth offensive tackle taken behind Jason Smith, Eugene Monroe and Michael Oher. Since so many teams took offensive tackles last year in the first round, we’ll put Smith as going to the Philadelphia Eagles at No. 28.

The 28th pick last year was Lawrence Jackson, who received $6.1 million in guaranteed money. We’ll give Smith the benefit of the doubt here and say he’ll get similar guaranteed money to what Duane Brown got at No. 26 last year ($6.2 million).

If it goes down like this, Smith would have lost $23.8 million.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/29348238

marv800
02-23-2009, 12:15 PM
This guy is actually quite genius for his antics. Now, the Cowboys will trade up come hell or high water, just to snag this guy!

JWarren14
03-11-2009, 03:30 PM
His pro day sure didn't help....maybe he slips into the 2nd that would be great value

NFL.com Pro
Andre Smith, one of the top offensive tackle prospects in this year’s draft, said he was relying on Alabama’s pro day to make up for the disappearing act he put on at the combine. Well, his times were not overly impressive, but he did at least work out.

Smith measured in at 6-foot-4 ¼, 325 pounds and ran the 40-yard dash in 5.28 and 5.33 seconds. He had a 25-inch vertical, a 7-foot, 10-inch broad jump, a 7.88-second three-cone drill and 19 bench press reps at 225 pounds. His short shuttle time is still to come as are the times from his Alabama teammates.

To put Smith’s workout in perspective, he did not post a single number that would have placed him in the top performers at his position at the combine and many of his numbers were not even close to the top 10 at his position at the combine.

Texan4Ever
03-11-2009, 03:32 PM
19 reps on 225!?!?! Man, is this guy outta shape or what?

4Texans
03-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Scouts said he lost millions today$$$$$$. One of the worst Pro day workouts ever seen.....

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/11/scout-smith-lost-millions-today/

Alabama offensive tackle Andre Smith’s campus workout today in front of NFL scouts was a “disaster,” according to Tony Pauline of SI.com.

Quoting an unnamed scout, Pauline writes that Smith’s lack of preparation was obvious as he was overweight. One scout called the performance, “one of the worst workouts I’ve ever seen.”

Another AFC East scout told Pauline: “He lost millions today.”

As a league source told us earlier today, Smith ran with his shirt off.

According to Pauline, comments were made about “the flab and the rolls on his body” during Smith’s 40-yard dashes as he posted times between 5.21 and 5.29 seconds.

Per the article, several scouts weren’t happy to travel a long way only to witness a bad workout. And Smith’s trainers were not pleased, either.

Texan4Ever
03-11-2009, 03:39 PM
According to Pauline, comments were made about “the flab and the rolls on his body” during Smith’s 40-yard dashes as he posted times between 5.21 and 5.29 seconds.

:spit:

Mr teX
03-11-2009, 03:44 PM
19 reps on 225!?!?! Man, is this guy outta shape or what?

Exactly what jumped out at me when i read the excerpt above. Muscle memory doesn't go away that easy so I don't know if that can be characterized as being out of shape. He sounds like a guy who just got over on his talent at Alabama...

HOU-TEX
03-11-2009, 03:44 PM
For the love of Pete! Why would he run with his shirt off? It sounds as if he's getting some horrible advice from somebody. Poor fella

Mr teX
03-11-2009, 03:45 PM
For the love of Pete! Why would he run with his shirt off? It sounds as if he's getting some horrible advice from somebody. Poor fella

Rusty Harden perhaps?

Texecutioner
03-11-2009, 03:50 PM

Yeah, that will be great for us. Grab a total moron who isn't even smart enough to show up at his pro day and wasted everyone's time and didn't even have enough sense to alert his agent. Yeah, that is a player we can really afford to make a reach on while we're dying to get out of 8-8ness.

Going to your Pro Day workout is one of the easiest things a guy can do. Just go up there and do a few drills and interviews and go home, but not only could he not even manage doing that but he couldn't even manage making a phone call or two in order to spin why he would be absent from his work outs.

If I was a GM I wouldn't touch this guy unless my team was desperate for an O lineman and I got him as a late 2nd round pick. Other than that, I'll pass on a guy that is lazy and flat out STUPID.

HOU-TEX
03-11-2009, 03:50 PM
Rusty Harden perhaps?

Dunno. Is that his agent? The guy's still going to make some money, so he needs to find somebody that will lead him in the right direction. Having a 320+ lb Olineman run around with his shirt off is just ridiculous.

Maybe a team gave him that advice in order for him to fall. LOL

Mr teX
03-11-2009, 03:54 PM
Dunno. Is that his agent? The guy's still going to make some money, so he needs to find somebody that will lead him in the right direction. Having a 320+ lb Olineman run around with his shirt off is just ridiculous.

Maybe a team gave him that advice in order for him to fall. LOL

No harden's not his agent, i just said that in regard to his handling of the roger clemens situation....absolutely terrible advice from him.

Errant Hothy
03-11-2009, 04:04 PM
Yeah, that will be great for us. Grab a total moron who isn't even smart enough to show up at his pro day and wasted everyone's time and didn't even have enough sense to alert his agent. Yeah, that is a player we can really afford to make a reach on while we're dying to get out of 8-8ness.

Going to your Pro Day workout is one of the easiest things a guy can do. Just go up there and do a few drills and interviews and go home, but not only could he not even manage doing that but he couldn't even manage making a phone call or two in order to spin why he would be absent from his work outs.

If I was a GM I wouldn't touch this guy unless my team was desperate for an O lineman and I got him as a late 2nd round pick. Other than that, I'll pass on a guy that is lazy and flat out STUPID.

I think you missed infantrycak's point. If Smith still goes top 14, that means it will push a better prospect down for us to chose from at 15.

I doubt he was suggesting that we take Smith at 15.

The Pencil Neck
03-11-2009, 04:10 PM
I think you missed infantrycak's point. If Smith still goes top 14, that means it will push a better prospect down for us to chose from at 15.

The problem is, if he drops OUT of the top 14, then that moves someone else up.

Errant Hothy
03-11-2009, 04:12 PM

Exactly, and I think he's dropped out of the top 14 after today.

Texecutioner
03-11-2009, 04:13 PM

If that is what he meant then I totally misinterpreted what he was saying then. That was just the way I read it. If so, then I agree. If he falls past our pick then that hurts us because that would be one extra player off the board.

The Pencil Neck
03-11-2009, 04:14 PM

Hoth-Boy...

Let me apologize for totally re-iterating what you'd just said. For some reason, when I read what you'd written, I thought you were saying something else. I'm going to blame work for dividing my attention.

76Texan
03-11-2009, 05:42 PM
I also like him to stay up there to help us.

alphajoker
03-11-2009, 05:52 PM

Vince Young, perhaps?

Texan JBZ
03-11-2009, 06:22 PM
Andre Smith looked very out of shape. Did you see his titties flapping around everywhere? Only 19 reps of 225lbs for a LT? That's pitiful. Smith is getting bad advice from someone, or he simply isn't listening to his advisors. The guy has went from a Top 5 pick to potentially getting picked between 15 and 25. And cost himself millions of dollars on the way down. I see it as a good deal for the Texans. Maybe a team like Detroit decides to take a chance on him with their second 1st round selection and trades up to 15 to do so.

JayCee
03-11-2009, 06:25 PM
Did you see his titties flapping around everywhere?
:photos:
http://nfldotcom.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/a_smith_090311_blog.jpg

infantrycak
03-11-2009, 06:27 PM

What he said.

pbat488
03-11-2009, 06:31 PM
Those look like some Brian Cushing boobs.

JayCee
03-11-2009, 06:38 PM
interesting point made in the comments section of the nfl.com article on Smith's pro day

Keep doubting this kid because of numbers. He was the most dominant OT in the most dominant Conference in the NCAA. They can give all the love they want to the other Smit and Monroe, but neither of them faced the competition Andre did. Jason Smith has not run blocked since middle school and Monroe was LT for one of the worst offenses in the ACC. Andre has given up fewer sacks in his CAREER than the other two gave up this year.

Lucky
03-11-2009, 08:12 PM
Scouts said he lost millions today$$$$$$. One of the worst Pro day workouts ever seen...
There seems to be two Andre Smiths. One, is a dominant blocker in the SEC. The other, a total washout during the predraft period. The former is a top 10 pick, the latter would drop into the draft's 2nd day. Somewhere in the middle, is the location of Smith's value.

I don't believe Andre Smith is a NFL LT. I see him as a Leonard Davis type. Great run blocker with quickness moving forward. Poor technique and balance when moving backward. I think Smith is a Pro Bowl guard, but a project tackle in the NFL. I feel pretty much the same regarding Mississippi's Michael Oher.

But, you have to question Smith's work ethic. At a time when he should be in the best shape of his life, he show's up in the worst shape. There was a time when players could get fat and lazy in the offseason, and get into shape in training camp. Now, the NFL is a full time, year round job. If Smith doesn't get that, he's not worth a 1st round pick.

mussop
03-11-2009, 08:20 PM
:photos:
http://nfldotcom.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/a_smith_090311_blog.jpg

OMG!!! I wonder who would win a wet t-shirt contest between Smith and Cushing. :photos:

Someone get this guy a Bro.

threetoedpete
03-12-2009, 06:12 AM
What keeps floating him back up are his feet. I think we can all agree what we got here is a twenty one year old man with a twelve year olds brain. He's so talented he has never had to grow up. So where do you take this guy ? Do you go with what your eyes see now ? Or do you believe you can save him ? He's twenty pounds over weight....and had fourteen months to do something about that. So now you've got two red flags....he's immature. Lazy or unmotivated ? How much do you pay for that? What I see this guy by his current numbers is a right side guy with a chance. I wouldn't touch him until the third round. And further it's going to take a pretty big ego to believe you could turn the kid around....at all. He is what he is until he has figured out nothing is guaranteed. the scary part is what would he do with the millions in the bank....He's already listless. How do you motivate him after the cash is in his hands. Pride ? What a waist.

Wolf6151
03-12-2009, 08:41 AM
What keeps floating him back up are his feet. I think we can all agree what we got here is a twenty one year old man with a twelve year olds brain. He's so talented he has never had to grow up. So where do you take this guy ? Do you go with what your eyes see now ? Or do you believe you can save him ? He's twenty pounds over weight....and had fourteen months to do something about that. So now you've got two red flags....he's immature. Lazy or unmotivated ? How much do you pay for that? What I see this guy by his current numbers is a right side guy with a chance. I wouldn't touch him until the third round. And further it's going to take a pretty big ego to believe you could turn the kid around....at all. He is what he is until he has figured out nothing is guaranteed. the scary part is what would he do with the millions in the bank....He's already listless. How do you motivate him after the cash is in his hands. Pride ? What a waist.

I agree with you completely. What a waste... I've seen some people on this board say that he's still one of the best Tackles this year and will still be drafted in the top half of the 1st round based on his potential. The 1st round of the draft has changed in the last few years though from looking for a guy with lots of potential to risk management. Teams aren't looking for guys they can shape and mold into great players so much anymore in the 1st round because of the huge amount of money they have to pay out. They don't want the risk. Teams are looking for good players with as few red flags as possible, managing the risk.

infantrycak
03-12-2009, 09:05 AM
I agree with you completely. What a waste... I've seen some people on this board say that he's still one of the best Tackles this year and will still be drafted in the top half of the 1st round based on his potential.

Sounds like he is rebounding and it isn't based on potential but on actual performance in the SEC.

Mailman
03-12-2009, 09:23 AM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/andresmith.JPG

“They say he was fat and the flab was all over the place,” the source said. “What the f–k did they expect? A body builder’s physique? Smith is a fat guy. He has always been a fat guy. That’s his genetics. It’s never going to change.

“When he was dominating the SEC last fall he was a 340-pound fat guy, and everybody said he was a top three [draft pick] and maybe the top guy. He is too good a player who got some poor advice and it has hurt him a little. But it hasn’t hurt him a lot.

“Here’s the fact — the a-holes making the comments are scouts who are not decision-makers, or they are people who want the kid to fall to them. Mark it down — he still goes high.”

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/12/other-opinions-emerge-about-andre-smith-workout/

pbat488
03-12-2009, 10:22 AM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/andresmith.JPG

Good Lord, was he the kid in Old School who does the vault at the very end?

4Texans
03-12-2009, 03:37 PM
This guy goes as far to say that Smith may not even be a second day pick. I believe that's a little overboard.......

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Andre-Smith-s-draft-freefall-continues?urn=nfl,147436

We haven't lived in the Kiper era of endless NFL draft information for very long, but in that time, I can't recall anyone's draft stock falling quite like Andre Smith's. Picture Wilford Brimley's frail and helpless body tumbling end-over-end off a cliff, picking up speed as it goes (Note: Do not picture this if you are Wilford Brimley, or someone who knows him). That's about what we're looking at here.

He (Smith, not Brimley) was once considered a possible number one overall pick, and now, he might not even be a second-day pick. If Andre Smith was the stock market, he'd be ... well, he'd be a lot like the stock market is right now.

MeLoveTexans
03-12-2009, 03:40 PM
Here is a better one.. what would y'all call those?? C Cups??? A gif of him running would be lol and disgusting at the same time. Reminds me of the fat dude from old school
http://www.tidesports.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=TL&Dato=20090311&Kategori=TS32&Lopenr=311009998&Ref=PH&Item=17&MaxW=1000

wags
03-12-2009, 03:43 PM
Dude!! Not cool at all to show that photo. Now I have one more image in my repression vault.

TexanSam
03-12-2009, 03:53 PM
Dude that's nasty.

The Pencil Neck
03-12-2009, 03:56 PM
Someone negrep everyone who posted pictures.

I'd do it but... MY EYES!!!!! ARGGGGHHHH!!!! MY EYES!!!!

MeLoveTexans
03-12-2009, 04:07 PM
I don't get it... Memo to Andre Smith: Realize you're a whale an put an effing shirt on!!!

4Texans
03-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Those are pics of a guy that has never been in shape or had any muscle tone at all in his life. A football player doesn't look like that just because he's been on the banquet circuit for a few months. Maybe his greatest ability has just been his foot work as a tackle....:jogger:

TheRealJoker
03-12-2009, 05:27 PM
I am very interested to see where he's selected. People often joke that for a certain player to fall he'd have to do...pretty much what Smith just did.

Smith pretty much will get drafted from his game tape alone, the question is where will he go?

I dont know about you guys, but if he's there in the 3rd I would have to take a shot at him. I highly doubt that would happen, but if he's there regardless of this offseason he's the best player on the board and we would be hard pressed not to draft the guy. Terrible offseason or not, he was the best OL in college football last season on the film.

gg no re
03-12-2009, 05:44 PM
http://www.xheadlines.com/test/images/Big%20Daddy%20V.gif

Goldensilence
03-12-2009, 05:58 PM
He has dropped from the #1 spot for sure but I'm not so sure he's out of the first round. If Lions do go Stafford #1 overall he's there at 20. Philly released Tra Thomas. Not so sure Winston(I gave up 6 sacks in one game) Justice is a great replacement.

I haven't seen a guy drop like this since Alan Branch.

Specnatz
03-12-2009, 06:05 PM
What was the name of the runningback for A&M that sat in the green room until he was selected at the top of the second round?

McCoy I think?

Goldensilence
03-12-2009, 06:19 PM
What was the name of the runningback for A&M that sat in the green room until he was selected at the top of the second round?

McCoy I think?

Leeland McElroy I believe.

http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leeland_McElroy

Kid was pretty electric all around.

Specnatz
03-12-2009, 06:35 PM
Yes that was him, now that is a slide.

threetoedpete
03-15-2009, 02:11 AM
Those are pics of a guy that has never been in shape or had any muscle tone at all in his life. A football player doesn't look like that just because he's been on the banquet circuit for a few months. Maybe his greatest ability has just been his foot work as a tackle....:jogger:

Yeah ...but like I posted...the feet and those 35 3/8" arms ...some crazy man will draft the guy in the first. You watch it.

Mike Lombardi has him down in the seventh slot right now for Oakland. There's crazy and then there's crazy. That would be the most surreal pick I've ever witnessed in a draft in since I've done the mocks from the eighties. Strikes out on Gallery and then four years later does that...Pick the Pills Berry Dough boy. That's when we'll all know Big Al has bottomed out.

Vinny
03-15-2009, 10:52 AM
He has dropped from the #1 spot for sure but I'm not so sure he's out of the first round. If Lions do go Stafford #1 overall he's there at 20. Philly released Tra Thomas. Not so sure Winston(I gave up 6 sacks in one game) Justice is a great replacement.

He hasn't dropped yet....the draft is in April. I saw him in some of his position drills on the NFLnetwork and he has great feet and a great base. If this was a Mr Universe contest he isn't in the first round anymore but since it isn't, this guy will get picked up pretty darn early in the draft....puffy nips or not.

YoungTexanFan
03-15-2009, 11:56 AM
The scary thing to think about is this: he looked like that physically all year and had some issues with the 'Bama staff prior to the combine...he was still the best OT in college football. So even with everything that has been pointed out, he was still better than Monroe, Smith, and Smith. Sure, his stock isn't the best but I think that is simply because of attitude questions. He has the best feet of any OT, and he's got some physical conditioning issues that can be improved on. That is scary.

awtysst
03-15-2009, 12:23 PM

The difference between Alan Branch and Smith is that the only people that thought Branch was high first rounder was the mock draft community. More seasoned mockers(such as RG and I) had him as a late first/early second.

I like to plug myself when I can!

YoungTexanFan
03-15-2009, 01:09 PM
The difference between Alan Branch and Smith is that the only people that thought Branch was high first rounder was the mock draft community. More seasoned mockers(such as RG and I) had him as a late first/early second.

I like to plug myself when I can!

I had him around #40 on my big board that year...in January.

threetoedpete
03-17-2009, 11:14 PM
The scary thing to think about is this: he looked like that physically all year and had some issues with the 'Bama staff prior to the combine...he was still the best OT in college football. So even with everything that has been pointed out, he was still better than Monroe, Smith, and Smith. Sure, his stock isn't the best but I think that is simply because of attitude questions. He has the best feet of any OT, and he's got some physical conditioning issues that can be improved on. That is scary.

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftraiders.php

" He has the best feet of any college OLT.....in this class"

threre I fixed it for ya.

I believe the best feet in the class belong to the USC guard Jaman Merideth.