PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the suprise of our secondary next season?

TheRealJoker
02-21-2009, 03:29 PM
Out of the DBs currently on our roster who do you think will be the biggest suprise?

Bennett? Flashed starting CB potential as a rookie only to follow with a sophomore slump.

Moulden? Has all the measurables you want in a CB but is coming off an injury and is a raw prospect to begin with.

Barber? Brother of Marion the Barbarian looked like he could be a player in this league late last season.

gtexan02
02-21-2009, 03:30 PM
I think Reeves will have an outstanding year. He got better as the year went on, and with improved safety play (I hope) I think he'll be able to be more aggressive

TheRealJoker
02-21-2009, 03:38 PM
I think Reeves will have an outstanding year. He got better as the year went on, and with improved safety play (I hope) I think he'll be able to be more aggressive

I dont understand why people think Reeves is Petey 2.0...

You give him a ball hawking safety looking over his shoulder for him and you're gonna have a good starting CB. Nobody on our team can stick to the WR like Reeves.

TexanSam
02-21-2009, 03:39 PM
I say it'll be Molden. He contributed on special teams last year but that's about it. I'm assuming he'll get more playing time this coming season

TheRealJoker
02-21-2009, 03:44 PM
It'll be interesting to see what baby Gibbs can do with our secondary. Players seemed to regress under Hoke. If Gibbs can turn this unit around and develop the young players in our backfield he'll be a popular name for DC jobs in the coming years.

mattieuk
02-21-2009, 04:19 PM

Sign me up for that camp! I'm fully expecting his upward curve throughout the season to continue.

That said, I think our whole secondary is going to step up. I think Molden is going to start looking more comfortable as well.

Lucky
02-21-2009, 04:28 PM
Who thinks that? Their limitations are totally different. Faggins can't turn and run with receivers. Reeves can. Reeves' problem is that he can't play the ball. That's why he's repeatedly beaten on deep passes.

I would be surprised if Robinson and Bennett aren't the starting corners, with Reeves as the #3 CB. Against 3 WR sets, Dunta would play the slot. And if Reeves doesn't learn to turn his head and find the ball, Molden could get a shot as the #3 CB.

mexican_texan
02-21-2009, 05:09 PM
I think it'll be Jacques Reeves. I predict he'll be a more solid corner under Bush.

imatexan
02-21-2009, 05:37 PM
As other people seem to think,

Reeves.

TEXANRED
02-21-2009, 05:53 PM

You give him a ball hawking safety looking over his shoulder for him and you're gonna have a good starting CB. Nobody on our team can stick to the WR like Reeves.

Oh look, there is someone else on the bandwagon other than me.

Now I dont feel so lonely.

TEXANRED
02-21-2009, 06:00 PM
Who thinks that? Their limitations are totally different. Faggins can't turn and run with receivers. Reeves can. Reeves' problem is that he can't play the ball. That's why he's repeatedly beaten on deep passes.

I would be surprised if Robinson and Bennett aren't the starting corners, with Reeves as the #3 CB. Against 3 WR sets, Dunta would play the slot. And if Reeves doesn't learn to turn his head and find the ball, Molden could get a shot as the #3 CB.

Bennett? You mean the guy who lost his starting job to Faggins?

I think Reeves is going to get coached up. Learn to read the receivers eyes and body language.

You cant coach the kind of athleticism that Reeves has.

WesmanTexanfan
02-21-2009, 06:04 PM
I say it'll be Molden. He contributed on special teams last year but that's about it. I'm assuming he'll get more playing time this coming season

ya, ive never noticed a special teams player(non returner) as much as i noticed him around the ball on ST last year, I am a HUGE Molden fan, but I like Barber to be the show off next year, get someone good and young next to hima and our D is scary. Id say Molden but im not sure what kind of time he'll see...

Lucky
02-21-2009, 06:13 PM
Are we trusting the judgment of Richard Smith, now? Bennett has already shown instincts to play the position. Reeves hasn't. Bennett doesn't have the timed speed of Reeves. And he still plays the deep ball better.

Mailman
02-21-2009, 07:04 PM
Oh look, there is someone else on the bandwagon other than me.

Now I dont feel so lonely.

I've been on it all season, too. All the headbashing and handwringing over Reeves's play from Texans fans seemed misplaced to me. Reeves is an upgrade over Faggins and proved it on the field last season. His speed is a big asset on defense. If he had the ball skills everyone constantly harps on, he'd be an elite corner. I don't think that's a fair standard to judge him by.

Bubbajwp
02-21-2009, 07:05 PM
I think Dunta being healthy will make both Bennet and Reeves look alot better.

My pick goes to the saftey that we are going to draft.

Old School
02-21-2009, 07:05 PM
I think Reeves also. If the coaches can just tie a string to his facemask and yank his head around when the ball is coming we would have it made.

ATXtexanfan
02-21-2009, 07:20 PM
reeves as well, or what ever safety we bring in

TexansMVP
02-21-2009, 07:42 PM
I like the idea of Reeves being the guy that takes the step forward, but I wouldn't discount Bennett either. With Dunta back on the field, I'm hoping he pushes Bennett to return to where he was during this rookie year.

houstonbola
02-21-2009, 08:58 PM
I'll put my money on Barber coming out this year. He played well on special teams and Kubes has nothing but good things to say about him. I think he will be very difficult for the defensive staff to keep off the field and will more than likely end up winning the starting job in TC.

eriadoc
02-21-2009, 09:10 PM

I think Reeves is going to get coached up. Learn to read the receivers eyes and body language.

You cant coach the kind of athleticism that Reeves has.

You also can't coach instincts. Some guys just have it. Reeves doesn't. That doesn't mean Reeves can't be a value player, but I think we've seen all we're going to see from him as far as defending the deep ball goes. He is an amazing specimen in that he can stick to the WR with the best of them, and somehow make that irrelevant.

Kaiser Toro
02-21-2009, 09:19 PM
With Hoke gone, anything is possible. My bet would be Bennett rises to the forefront and becomes the shut down corner that our franchise has lacked since 2003.

TimeKiller
02-22-2009, 01:07 AM
If Bennett develops some consistency he'll be a huge lift. I think you have to see either him or Molden develop this year at corner or safety. I wouldn't be surprised to see another free agent or draft pick for the backfield too.

TheRealJoker
02-22-2009, 10:25 AM
I would love to see Bennett and Reeves fulfill their potential and then move Moulden to FS (kinda like what the Cardinals did with Antrel Rolle). If Moulden can make the transition AND Bennett/Reeves fulfill their potential then that gives our secondary good size and coverage ability to match up against the increasing larger WRs entering the NFL. Having Barber develop into a bonafide starter at SS would be icing on the cake.

Then, we wouldn't need to depend on Dunta losing the bad attitude and recovering 100%!!!

The first paragraph seems like a dream scenario where everything goes right however :(

rarazz00
02-22-2009, 12:56 PM
I believe it will be Barber only because opposing teams are gonna test him and in my heart of hearts, he'll come out ahead. With this being said, if Coach Kollar lights a bonfire under our D-line, possibly all of our db's will look good with a rushed throw:fans:

Insideop
02-22-2009, 03:32 PM

I would love for it to be Molden, but I'm just not sure if he will return 100% by the beginning of the season. I just hope he hasn't lost a step with this injury.

I hope both Bennett and Reeves improve, but I think Bennett could make the biggest improvement because he didn't like losing his starting spot. So I think he has more to prove and hopefully will be playing with a "chip on his shoulder" and get after it! JMHO!

will742
02-22-2009, 04:23 PM
I really hope it ends up being Moulden. Like mentioned earlier, he really does have all the measurables needed to be a great corner. Let's just hope Gibbs can bring that out in him.

infantrycak
02-22-2009, 04:42 PM
What is it with not learning the names of our players? It is DUNTA and MOLDEN.

will742
02-22-2009, 05:03 PM

Touche inantrycak, touche. I guess I shouldn't post right after waking up from a nap. If I can spell Asomugha correctly I should be able to spell Molden.

ChampionTexan
02-22-2009, 05:20 PM

C'mon Cak - if after 16 years and a Hall of Fame career, (and the following audio/visual aid) folks still can't correctly spell Brett Favre's name, what hope can we have for guys in the Texans secondary?

LINK (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnpmBlQkJ-4)

Big Poundcake
02-23-2009, 09:37 AM
I'm hoping Fred Bennett steps up.

Mr teX
02-23-2009, 09:47 AM
Kinda hard to say..i wanna say moulden but unless he beats out bennett for the nickel spot, i don't know if u can be a surprise player in such limited opportunities in dime packages only.

I'll go with Dunta. He'll still be a bit ticked off about not getting his long term deal & he'll put up his best season in years, driving the price up on the Texans FO in the process.

AnthonyE
02-23-2009, 10:10 AM
Personally, I hope it's Bennett. I really liked how he played his rookie season, and if he can get close to or improves on that, we have a quality CB on our hands. He plays the run decently and seems to find that ball easiest on our team. He still had 2 INTs in extremely limited action last year.

Dread-Head
02-23-2009, 11:59 AM
Hopefully whomever replaces FAGGINS !

badboy
02-23-2009, 12:32 PM
I think if Barber does not break out this year, he will get a break as only a 6th round selection. Molden, our first selection in 3rd, has more pressure on him for this season imo. Having said this, I'll choose Bennett who will benefit from coach and from his buddy Dunta being back on field. Problem with this is Reeves and Dunta will get most of plays. OJT with Dunta will be limited. Reeves could be much better and still not have as many INTs. Overall the D should be much better especially as new guys from draft are worked in.