PDA

View Full Version : Potential Free Agents of Interest

dalemurphy
02-18-2009, 02:28 PM
Well, one day until franchise tags and it looks like a lot of guys are going to hit the market. There will probably be a couple more tags and some more cuts as well but I thought I'd keep a running list of guys the Texans may have some interest in, so here we go:

RB
JJ Arrington
Ced Benson
Buckhalter
Kev Jones
M. Morris
M. Pittman
D. RHodes
D. Sproles- franchised!
A. Stecker
D. Ward

WR
K. Colbert
D. Henderson
TJ Houshmanzadeh
Bryant Johnson
Brandon Jones
Nate Washington
Reggie Williams

OL
Jordan Gross- re-signed with Carolina
Jake Groves
M. Tauscher
Stinchcomb
Kalif Barnes

DL
Shaun Cody
Albert Haynesworth
Jovan Haye
J. Peppers- turned down a huge contract offer and will only sign a long term deal w/ 1 of 4 teams- not us.
Antonio Smith

LB
C. Crowder
A. Crowell
A Davis
L. Hill- franchised
Ray Lewis
Bart Scott
J. Vilma

CB
Asomugha
Bodden
Florence
McCalister
McFadden

S
Atogwe- franchised... dang it!
Y. Bell
J. Butler
Consodine
S. Jones
J. Leonhard
J. Phillips

please help me update it when you hear news and maybe the mods would be willing to sticky it?

barrett
02-18-2009, 02:41 PM
um you left of Dunta. :)

steelbtexan
02-18-2009, 02:44 PM
Going by that list the 4 FA's I would like to see signed that would fit our budget are

1. McAlister 3 time all-pro, replaces Dunta (if we dont franchise him)
2. Crowder Young tough LB that can play SAM
3. S.Jones The hard hitting S we have been looking for, good @ creating turnovers
4. Pittman Goal line short yardage back, Tough has good hands

If we draft a LB our LB corps are set
Draft a RB late5-7 rd With Slaton, Pittman, Moats,Rookie RB we have depth
It would be nice to have a hard hitting vet. secondary McAlister& Jones give you that

Cjeremy635
02-18-2009, 02:48 PM
Is Sproles the RB in San Diego? If so, I really liked watching him. He's young, fast, and shifty. I'd take him over someone a lot older. Probably not the best move though, but I like him.

dalemurphy
02-18-2009, 02:53 PM
Is Sproles the RB in San Diego? If so, I really liked watching him. He's young, fast, and shifty. I'd take him over someone a lot older. Probably not the best move though, but I like him.

I love him. However, I don't know if he fits with the Texans with Slaton here. Sproles will cost about $7 million per year to get him and Slaton will be looking for a new deal in a year. I just don't know if we can pay 2 smallish backs around $15 million per year. Plus, it would be hard to maximize both guys since they're so similar. We'd still need a bigger back to take some short yardage carries.

Cjeremy635
02-18-2009, 02:55 PM
I love him. However, I don't know if he fits with the Texans with Slaton here. Sproles will cost about $7 million per year to get him and Slaton will be looking for a new deal in a year. I just don't know if we can pay 2 smallish backs around $15 million per year. Plus, it would be hard to maximize both guys since they're so similar. We'd still need a bigger back to take some short yardage carries.

True, but he's still fun to watch. I wasn't seriously advocating getting him, but it would be cool to have him, minus the $7 million/year.

TexansFan33
02-18-2009, 03:22 PM
My Wish List:

Corner CB - Asomugha(We would be taken seriously for the first time as an organization) McAllister he could be a good fit if we draft a corner and lose Dunta to FA.

Saftey S- Sean Jones he's been solid for the browns the last couple of years.

Running Back RB- Derrick Ward we need a between the tackles runner and his 41 receptions aren't bad either. I know he's 29 but a 2 yr deal isnt crazy. I also think former first round pick Kevin Jones could bring some added value to our backfield at age 26 i think he would do good in our zone blocking scheme. Both of these backs are around the 225 range. What do yall think about these Free Agents?

TheRealJoker
02-18-2009, 03:27 PM
Atogwe from the Rams is the ballhawk safety we've never had. Would love to see him in a Texans uniform next year looking over Reeves' shoulder when the ball is in the air.

Dont forget CB Dre Bly and DT Dewayne Robertson were also released. I doubt we'll go after either of them but just dropping names.

DiehardChris
02-18-2009, 03:30 PM

Do you think someone is going to make Darren Sproles the second highest-paid RB in the NFL? Right now according to the salaries released for computing the franchise tag numbers, the highest-paid RB in the NFL is LaDanian Tomlinson at 7.8 million. Second-highest is 6.75 million per.

I like Sproles, but not for the Texans. We don't need a guy even smaller than Slaton.

DiehardChris
02-18-2009, 03:37 PM
Dre Bly is about to turn 32.

Dre Bly was a starter on one of the worst pass defenses in the NFL. Their pass defense is worse than Houston's. Much worse, if you go by the numbers.

Dre Bly should be nowhere NEAR a desired FA pickup.

El Tejano
02-18-2009, 03:45 PM
Out of the list:

RB
M. Pittman
D. Rhodes
A. Stecker

WR
Late round draft pick

OL
Kalif Barnes

DL
Would love J Peppers or Haynesworth but that would take our money

LB
C. Crowder
B. Scott

CB
Anyone of those guys

S Atogwe.

Anyone of these guys I would like.

Goatcheese
02-18-2009, 04:32 PM
I'd like to see:

D. Robinson CB HOU
OJ Atogwe FS STL
S.Jones SS CLE
L.Bodden CB DET

I think that is doable, and leaves the team in a good position come draft time. With the secondary sured up, the Texans can focus on their positions that need upgrades: DE, NT, C, or pick up a real difference maker at LB.

J. Gross LT CAR would be on my wish list too, but the Texans aren't going to give up on Brown anytime soon.

Mailman
02-18-2009, 04:43 PM
Teams are taking their time with the franchise designations, eh? Hurry up and tell us already!

dalemurphy
02-18-2009, 05:33 PM
Derrick Ward was on the Jim Rome show today and mentioned playing for the Texans. He likes the idea of sharing carries with Steve Slaton. According to rotoworld.com, he's looking for $4 million a year for a contract.

IMO, he is the perfect FA Rb for us. I'd really like to see this work out.

DiehardChris
02-18-2009, 05:39 PM
Derrick Ward was on the Jim Rome show today and mentioned playing for the Texans. He likes the idea of sharing carries with Steve Slaton. According to rotoworld.com, he's looking for $4 million a year for a contract.

IMO, he is the perfect FA Rb for us. I'd really like to see this work out.

I would LOVE to have Ward, but not for $4 million.

dalemurphy
02-18-2009, 05:42 PM
I would LOVE to have Ward, but not for $4 million.

I think a 4yr $16 million contract with $8 million guaranteed seems reasonable to me. I certainly don't think it puts us in salary cap trouble.

DiehardChris
02-18-2009, 05:56 PM
I think a 4yr $16 million contract with $8 million guaranteed seems reasonable to me. I certainly don't think it puts us in salary cap trouble.

I just think it's too much for a complimentary back. It's not a ridiculous amount of money by any means - but with all our other holes, I'd rather put that kind of money into other places.

I wouldn't be upset if it went down, though.

DiehardChris
02-18-2009, 06:17 PM
I just think it's too much for a complimentary back. It's not a ridiculous amount of money by any means - but with all our other holes, I'd rather put that kind of money into other places.

I wouldn't be upset if it went down, though.

You know, the more I think about this - the more I'm okay with it. I still think it's too much for a complimentary back - but I think he'd be such a great fit... and hell, his comments on Rome today prove he's not demanding to go somewhere and be a starter.

J-Russ
02-18-2009, 06:39 PM
PEPPERS PICKS A PECK OF POSSIBLE SUITORS
Posted by Mike Florio on February 18, 2009, 2:42 p.m.

Panthers defensive end Julius Peppers wants out of Carolina — he has made that clear.

But he now has narrowed the field of potential suitors to four, presuming that the Panthers use the franchise tag on Peppers and then try to trade him.

According to Darin Gantt of the Rock Hill Herald, the teams are the Cowboys, two NFC South opponents, and an unnamed AFC team.

As to the NFC South foes, we’re not aware of any that run a 3-4 defense, Peppers’ supposed defense of choice. (If we’re wrong, we figure that one or two . . . or 67 . . . of you will point it out.)

The Cowboys use the 3-4, but with DeMarcus Ware and with no first-round pick in 2009, a trade is unlikely.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/18/peppers-picks-a-peck-of-possible-suitors/#comments

The fact that he has two NFC-S teams on his wish list, with none of those teams running a 3-4, could mean that he might not be ruling out the option of playing for a 4-3 team. We still might have hope for landing Peppers. :cool:

Although, I wouldn't give up a 1st and 3rd for him, which is probably the asking price for Carolina to trade him.

b0ng
02-18-2009, 06:46 PM
J. Peppers- turned down a huge contract offer and will only sign a long term deal w/ 1 of 4 teams- not us.

please help me update it when you hear news and maybe the mods would be willing to sticky it?

Did it come out that Peppers said that he wouldn't play for Houston. I know his 4 team list included one AFC team.

DiehardChris
02-18-2009, 06:47 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/18/peppers-picks-a-peck-of-possible-suitors/#comments

This means that he might not be ruling out the option of playing for a 4-3 team. We still have hope for landing Peppers. :cool:

Although, I wouldn't give up a 1st and 3rd for him, which is probably the asking price for Carolina to trade him.

He never preferred a 3-4 team. That was just BS posturing to get more suitors for his services.

You know - this guy is a piece of crap, actually. What a jerk. He's made a ton of money from the Panthers, and he's now turned down a contract that is bigger than Jared Allen - despite Peppers being 3 or 4 years OLDER than Allen.

Now, he's narrowed his preferred suitors to four teams - so the Panthers have to hope that #1 - one of the four teams is even interested in him, and #2 - one of the four teams would meet the RIDICULOUS asking price of the contract AND the draft picks they'd have to give up to get a guy who's pushing 30.

PLUS - he's forcing the Panthers to not be able to franchise tag Jordan Gross if they can't sign him - so they now can lose BOTH of those guys without ANY compensation.

Peppers is a malcontent. Screw him. I hope the Panthers tag him and trade his ass to Lions. Think how you guys would think of him if he was a Texan player. We'd all hate him for the position he's putting the team in.

dalemurphy
02-18-2009, 06:47 PM

The fact that he has two NFC-S teams on his wish list, with none of those teams running a 3-4, could mean that he might not be ruling out the option of playing for a 4-3 team. We still might have hope for landing Peppers. :cool:

He's a free agent so no trade is neccessary. They won't be able to franchise him because he'll cost $17 million against the cap and they have no room.

However, it was reported that he was offered a deal bigger than Jared Allen's and he turned it down. He also said that he won't sign a long term contract with anyone other than the 4 teams on his list. So, given his demands, I don't want any part of him.

J-Russ
02-18-2009, 07:01 PM
I'm sure they must be trying to cut some players to make room to tag Peppers. They're probably not just going to let the guy walk without getting something in return.

I don't think he's a bad dude for not signing with the Panthers though. He lived in Carolina his whole life, and probably just want a change of scenery. It's obviously not about the money, since like Chris said he was offered a larger contract then Jared Allen.

He's not putting the Panthers in any kind of situation, because it's really simple: all they have to do is let him walk, Pepper wants to be a UFA and be able to choose where he would play rather than having it rest on the FO of the Panthers. It's up to the Panthers whether they want to tag Peppers or tag Gross. It's not like they have to tag Peppers.

barrett
02-18-2009, 07:03 PM
Peppers is a malcontent. Screw him. I hope the Panthers tag him and trade his ass to Lions. Think how you guys would think of him if he was a Texan player. We'd all hate him for the position he's putting the team in.

fuc ya. well said.

barrett
02-18-2009, 07:06 PM
i'm not sure i care much about ward at 29. i'd rather have two young RB's. now a days 29 is the new 30.

i think he would be a great fit but i'd rather have someone young and hungry.

speaking of hungry....

DiehardChris
02-18-2009, 07:07 PM
I'm sure they must be trying to cut some players to make room to tag Peppers. They're probably not just going to let the guy walk without getting something in return.

I don't think he's a bad dude for not signing with the Panthers though. He lived in Carolina his whole life, and probably just want a change of scenery. It's obviously not about the money, since like Chris said he was offered a larger contract then Jared Allen.

He's not putting the Panthers in any kind of situation, because it's really simple: all they have to do is let him walk, Pepper wants to be a UFA and be able to choose where he would play rather than having it rest on the FO of the Panthers. It's up to the Panthers whether they want to tag Peppers or tag Gross. It's not like they have to tag Peppers.

But why should the Panthers be okay with getting NOTHING for Peppers, when they've made EVERY effort to change everything for Peppers AND having offered him a bigger contract than Allen (which he doesn't deserve)?

He's a valuable asset, and they should be happy with losing him for nothing? That's just wrong.

DiehardChris
02-18-2009, 07:12 PM
i'm not sure i care much about ward at 29. i'd rather have two young RB's. now a days 29 is the new 30.

speaking of hungry....

Yeah, I hear you. MAXIMUM 2-year deal on him if we go that way... depending of course on what the guaranteed money is... obviously we could just cut him if things went Ahman.

J-Russ
02-18-2009, 07:16 PM
But why should the Panthers be okay with getting NOTHING for Peppers, when they've made EVERY effort to change everything for Peppers AND having offered him a bigger contract than Allen (which he doesn't deserve)?

He's a valuable asset, and they should be happy with losing him for nothing? That's just wrong.

Well, in this situation, they might have too. They're going to lose Peppers, that's set, why risk losing Gross too? They're essentially losing two vet. players for rookies used on the draft pick from Peppers. On the other hand, if they tag Gross, then they'll keep their vet. LT and they could also get a 3rd/4th in next years(or this years, I forget how it works) draft.

Just curious though, what is the options for the Panthers? Was it possible for them to sign Peppers to that long term deal(with intention of dealing him if he wanted to be traded), then use the franchise tag on Gross?

If that was possible, then why don't they just do the opposite and offer Gross that long contract, then use the the franchise tag on Peppers?

dalemurphy
02-18-2009, 07:34 PM
Well, in this situation, they might have too. They're going to lose Peppers, that's set, why risk losing Gross too? They're essentially losing two vet. players for rookies used on the draft pick from Peppers. On the other hand, if they tag Gross, then they'll keep their vet. LT and they could also get a 3rd/4th in next years(or this years, I forget how it works) draft.

Just curious though, what is the options for the Panthers? Was it possible for them to sign Peppers to that long term deal(with intention of dealing him if he wanted to be traded), then use the franchise tag on Gross?

If that was possible, then why don't they just do the opposite and offer Gross that long contract, then use the the franchise tag on Peppers?

Peppers would cost them $17 million to franchise because he made over $13 million last year and is guaranteed a 20% raise. They have no cap room so it's not an option to franchise him.

dalemurphy
02-18-2009, 07:37 PM

speaking of hungry....

The thing that makes RBs burn out at 30 isn't the age. It's the beating they take. Ward, on the other hand, hasn't taken much of a beating as a professional and should have a few years in him. Mike Anderson was a good example of that. He didn't start carrying the ball until he was about 27 and was a good back until 34 years old. The elite backs tend to wear out by 30 because they've been getting 200+ carries for 2-3 years in college and then 300+ carries for 6-8 pro seasons.

Mailman
02-18-2009, 07:45 PM
Peppers would cost them $17 million to franchise because he made over $13 million last year and is guaranteed a 20% raise. They have no cap room so it's not an option to franchise him.

They would franchise him to buy themselves time to work out a trade with another team.

awtysst
02-18-2009, 07:46 PM

They would franchise him to buy themselves time to work out a trade with another team.

The problem the panthers have is that they have two players they really want to keep: Jordan Gross and Julius Peppers. They were hoping to work out a contract for Gross and then franchise Peppers(since Peppers wants out and Gross doesn't seem averse to staying). Problem is they havent been able to work out a long term deal with Gross yet, so they may have to use the franchise tag on him while they keep negotiating. There is only one tag you can use each year, so if they were to slap it on Peppers, then Gross gets out onto the open market.

Thats why they may very well be forced to franchise Gross and lose Peppers without getting anything in return.

dalemurphy
02-18-2009, 07:48 PM

The franchise # for him is $17 million. They can't do it!

b0ng
02-18-2009, 07:48 PM

That's a $17million dollar gamble right there. I think with as much as Peppers has said to the media, most GM's are probably thinking that if the Panthers franchise him then he will do something babyish like hold out or sit out. This is good for other GM's because it will drive his price way down, and the Panthers will be pretty hamstrung FA wise for this season.

Of course the Pats franchised Cassell and I have no idea why unless they already have a team willing to trade for him. I think if Peppers gets the tag then the Panthers will have a suitor already lined up (They have less than 24 hours to apply the tag if I'm not an illiterate).

ChampionTexan
02-18-2009, 07:52 PM
The problem the panthers have is that they have two players they really want to keep: Jordan Gross and Julius Peppers. They were hoping to work out a contract for Gross and then franchise Peppers(since Peppers wants out and Gross doesn't seem averse to staying). Problem is they havent been able to work out a long term deal with Gross yet, so they may have to use the franchise tag on him while they keep negotiating. There is only one tag you can use each year, so if they were to slap it on Peppers, then Gross gets out onto the open market.

Thats why they may very well be forced to franchise Gross and lose Peppers without getting anything in return.

Looks like they're pushing to at least give themselves some options on this:

Carolina is making a strong push to sign prospective free-agent OT Jordan Gross by Thursday, which would enable the team to then slap its franchise tag on DE Julius Peppers.

The Panthers and Gross have made significant progress on a contract, and some expect a deal to be finalized this week, league sources said Monday night.

LINK (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/16/panthers-trying-to-hash-out-new-deal-for-ot-gross/)

DiehardChris
02-18-2009, 07:53 PM

Yeah, I mentioned that in one of my above posts.

Does the cap matter right now? I think there's a deadline the teams have to be under the cap by - so even if it puts them over, the Panthers can tag Peppers, then hope to trade him before the deadline.

Mailman
02-18-2009, 07:55 PM

I'm aware of the Gross situation. I was just responding to dalemurphy's post about the Panthers cap situation. They have the cap room to tag Peppers and trade him relatively soon, thus making his cap number vanish.

We should also keep in mind that the teams have another week to negotiate with their free agents before the free agency period opens. The Panthers could potentially tag Peppers with the intent to trade him at the same time that they're working on a long-term deal with Gross.

TexansSeminole

No, in fact I would love Ward to sign with that kind of contract. I would expect he would push for more like $5 million a year. He is going to be 29 next year so this next contract is pretty much his last.

DiehardChris

The cap doesn't matter though. There's a deadline before which they have to be under it. They can tag him, hope to trade him, and clear him off the cap with said trade before the deadline. I'm not 100% sure of the specifics, but I think the broad strokes of that statement are accurate.

Mailman
02-18-2009, 08:00 PM

Yes they can. You're forgetting that his current salary is counting against the cap already. The difference between what he will make as a tagged player and what he's making now is less than the total dollar amount of cap space they have right now. It will fit under the cap.

dalemurphy
02-18-2009, 08:03 PM
The cap doesn't matter though. There's a deadline before which they have to be under it. They can tag him, hope to trade him, and clear him off the cap with said trade before the deadline. I'm not 100% sure of the specifics, but I think the broad strokes of that statement are accurate.

I'm almost positive that they have to be under it before free agency starts. According to the discussion I heard with Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan, the Panthers are right up against the cap even before signing Jordan Gross. They spent a good 10 minutes going through the roster and attempting to clear room for Peppers and were unable to even get in the ballpark.

A caller asked them if they could be over the cap for a while and Pat Kirwin said, "no".

dalemurphy
02-18-2009, 08:05 PM
Yes they can. You're forgetting that his current salary is counting against the cap already. The difference between what he will make as a tagged player and what he's making now is less than the total dollar amount of cap space they have right now. It will fit under the cap.

Where are you getting your information? read my post right above this one because I think my source is pretty accurate and would like to research where your info is coming from.

TexansFan33
02-18-2009, 08:06 PM
How much would it cost to sign a Derrick Ward (NYG) or a Sean Jones (CLE)?

Mailman
02-18-2009, 08:10 PM
Where are you getting your information? read my post right above this one because I think my source is pretty accurate and would like to research where your info is coming from.

At this point, the Panthers have between $9 million and $10 million in salary cap room.

But that number's going to grow in the next two weeks, and grow significantly.

As we wrote this weekend, one of their first moves will clear up over $8 million in immediate space, giving them plenty of room for the $16.683 million franchise tag on Julius Peppers if that's the way they want to go. They'll gain that room by guaranteeing the $10 million roster bonus for CB Chris Gamble, which they planned to do anyway.

But much more room is available through cuts (they could clear out around $5 million if they released CB Ken Lucas, WR D.J. Hackett and LB Landon Johnson). And that doesn't even begin to touch the room they could make by extending QB Jake Delhomme or restrucuturing veterans such as WR Steve Smith or DT Maake Kemoeatu.

They've got plenty of problems in the coming weeks. Cap room's not one of them.
http://www.heraldonline.com/665?plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3aded44479-eff0-4fb5-98bf-9edb9d130913Post%3af092b0f7-978e-4610-9871-cb968b24a9d1&sid=pluck.heraldonline.com

Brandon420tx
02-18-2009, 08:13 PM
I know I've given my list of want players a ton of times before. But, its just so fun.

Otogwe and Jermaine Phillips are the 2 I target the hardest.

You don't have Karlos Dansby on that list, which is a real possibility considering he's worked closely under Frank Bush.

But for LBs Leroy Hill, and Dansby.

For Dline Shaun Cody, because I feel he has the natural talent to be a quick penetrating NT and just needs coaching and the proper system.

Kaiser Toro
02-18-2009, 08:13 PM

Everything that you stated is true in regards to current salary and year accounted for. However, all of these negotiations right now have nothing to do with the current year, they are about 2009.

The cap is all about 2009, and beyond, nothing to do with 2008.

Mailman
02-18-2009, 08:23 PM
A sixer of Newcastle says the unnamed AFC team is the Steelers or Patriots...

:eyeroll

Mailman
02-18-2009, 08:24 PM

Don't research too closely because, as KT demonstrated, some of my information is coming from my ass.

DiehardChris
02-18-2009, 08:44 PM
Otogwe has now been franchised.

Old School
02-18-2009, 09:29 PM
I know I've given my list of want players a ton of times before. But, its just so fun.

Otogwe and Jermaine Phillips are the 2 I target the hardest.

You don't have Karlos Dansby on that list, which is a real possibility considering he's worked closely under Frank Bush.

But for LBs Leroy Hill, and Dansby.

For Dline Shaun Cody, because I feel he has the natural talent to be a quick penetrating NT and just needs coaching and the proper system.

Dansby is now off the market.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AlP_QJY3aLu6lo6fKSELoG1DubYF?slug=ap-cardinals-dansby&prov=ap&type=lgns

Brandon420tx
02-18-2009, 10:04 PM
Booo. Leroy Hill then

wags
02-19-2009, 02:14 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/category/adam-schefter/

For a change, the Oakland Raiders intercepted CB Nnamdi Asomugha on his way to the free-agent market.

Asomugha signed a three-year deal that is worth a minimum of $45 million and could reach $50 million, a league source said.

Another one bites the dust.

Brandon420tx
02-19-2009, 02:47 PM
What a beautiful dog Wags

wags
02-19-2009, 05:03 PM
What a beautiful dog Wags

Thanks!!

Brandon420tx
02-20-2009, 11:17 AM
Otogwe remains with rams, and Leroy Hill got the franchise tag

damn

Goldensilence
02-20-2009, 12:36 PM
http://www.heraldonline.com/665?plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3aded44479-eff0-4fb5-98bf-9edb9d130913Post%3af092b0f7-978e-4610-9871-cb968b24a9d1&sid=pluck.heraldonline.com

If that snippet is true. I'd like us to bring in Ken Lucas.

dalemurphy
02-20-2009, 01:10 PM
Apparently one only gets a certain number of edits, Because I can't edit the original anymore. So, here's an updated list:

RB
JJ Arrington
Ced Benson
Buckhalter
Kev Jones
M. Morris
M. Pittman
D. RHodes
D. Sproles- franchised!
A. Stecker
D. Ward

WR
K. Colbert
D. Henderson
TJ Houshmanzadeh
Bryant Johnson
Brandon Jones
Nate Washington
Reggie Williams
Ronald Curry- released by Oakland 2/20

TE
Chris Baker

OL
Jake Groves
M. Tauscher
Stinchcomb
Kalif Barnes

DL
Shaun Cody
Albert Haynesworth
Jovan Haye
J. Peppers- franchised, wow!
Antonio Smith

LB
C. Crowder
A. Crowell
A Davis
L. Hill- franchised
Ray Lewis
Bart Scott
J. Vilma
Marcus Washington

CB
Asomugha- monster, short contract
Bodden
Florence
McCalister
McFadden

S
Y. Bell
J. Butler
Consodine
S. Jones
J. Leonhard
J. Phillips
Gibril Wilson- was released from Oakland today 2/20

bah007
02-20-2009, 01:51 PM
RB
JJ Arrington - NO
Ced Benson - NO
Buckhalter - N0
Kev Jones - NO
M. Morris - POSSIBLY
M. Pittman - NO
D. RHodes - POSSIBLY
A. Stecker - POSSIBLY
D. Ward - POSSIBLY

WR
K. Colbert - NO
D. Henderson - NO
TJ Houshmanzadeh - NO (Only because of what it would cost)
Bryant Johnson - NO
Brandon Jones - NO
Nate Washington - NO
Reggie Williams - NO

TE
Chris Baker - NO

OL
Jake Groves - POSSIBLY
M. Tauscher - NO
Stinchcomb - NO
Kalif Barnes - NO

DL
Shaun Cody - NO
Albert Haynesworth - POSSIBLY
Jovan Haye - NO
Antonio Smith - NO

LB
C. Crowder - NO
A. Crowell - NO
A Davis - NO
Ray Lewis - NO
Bart Scott - NO
J. Vilma - POSSIBLY
Marcus Washington - NO

CB
Bodden - POSSIBLY
Florence - NO
McCalister - POSSIBLY
McFadden - POSSIBLY

S
Y. Bell - NO
J. Butler - NO
Consodine - NO
S. Jones - POSSIBLY
J. Leonhard - NO
J. Phillips - POSSIBLY

No means I'm not interested. Possibly means I think we should at least contact this player and see what kind of money they are looking for and go from there.

gtexan02
02-20-2009, 02:10 PM

speaking of hungry....

Ward has carried the ball 340 times in his entire career. Green had more carries than that in one season. When Green came to the Texans, he was up close to 2,000 carries.

Ward is 28. He played all 16 games last season. I think this is a non-issue

Big Poundcake
02-21-2009, 01:16 AM
Cedric Benson....maybe, even with the constant denial of any interest, I think hr would be be a great fit in Houston.

CB Dre Bly.......I hope

DT Dewayne Robinson......maybe......I think he has 1 or 2 seasons left in him.

S Sean Jones....maybe... I would LOVE it if the Texans landed Jones.

SS Gibril Wilson.......maybe....I think he would be a good fit for the Texans as well.

FS Michael Huff.....Probably not. Heck he's still on the Roster for the Raiders. I've heard he could/will be cut though and I think he could play FS/CB for the Texans.

RB Derrick Ward...Doubtful (imo)......He wants more money than I think he is worth as a NFL RB. I think the Texans could do better. I'm not trying to hate on Ward, I just think the Texans shouldn't go after him.

The DE from the Cardinals....YES...I'd love to land him.

Vilma...maybe

CB McCallister...maybe

Crowder.....I have no idea. Could he play LB in a 4-3?

TexanAddict
02-22-2009, 08:33 PM
Ward RB
Haynesworth DT
Vilma LB *
Jones S *

These are the guys I hope the Texans would target first at these positions. Those with the (*) are the players I think could be signed and should be pursued heavily by us.

TexanAddict
02-22-2009, 08:44 PM
A Jags writer's ranking of free agents:

Free Agents (http://www.jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2009-02-22/story/rating_nfl_free_agents)

dalemurphy
02-22-2009, 09:11 PM
Ward RB
Haynesworth DT
Vilma LB *
Jones S *

These are the guys I hope the Texans would target first at these positions. Those with the (*) are the players I think could be signed and should be pursued heavily by us.

Haynesworth wants a 6yr deal for $100 million. Do you want to give him close to that?

Vilma has a degenerative knee problem and I frankly don't like him over Diles and/or Adibi' potential

Sean Jones and Derrick Ward - I would love those two guys and they'd really fill out some holes on our roster too.

dalemurphy
02-22-2009, 09:13 PM
Apparently one only gets a certain number of edits, Because I can't edit the original anymore. So, here's an updated list:

RB
JJ Arrington
Ced Benson
Buckhalter
Kev Jones
M. Morris
M. Pittman
D. RHodes
D. Sproles- franchised!
A. Stecker
D. Ward

WR
K. Colbert
D. Henderson
TJ Houshmanzadeh
Bryant Johnson
Brandon Jones
Nate Washington
Reggie Williams
Ronald Curry- released by Oakland 2/20

TE
Chris Baker

OL
Jake Groves
M. Tauscher
Stinchcomb
Kalif Barnes

DL
Shaun Cody
Albert Haynesworth
Jovan Haye
J. Peppers- franchised, wow!
Antonio Smith
Gabe Watson

LB
C. Crowder
A. Crowell
A Davis
L. Hill- franchised
Ray Lewis
Bart Scott
J. Vilma
Marcus Washington

CB
Asomugha- monster, short contract
Bodden
Florence
McCalister
McFadden
D. Foxworth

S
Y. Bell
J. Butler
Consodine
S. Jones
J. Leonhard
J. Phillips
Gibril Wilson- was released from Oakland today 2/20

I added Dominique Foxworth and Gabe Watson to the list. What do you guys think about Gabe Watson as a situational run stuffing DT?

Brandon420tx
02-22-2009, 09:46 PM
The only person I want to see the front office hardball and sign pretty much no matter what, would be Jermaine Phillips

beerlover
02-22-2009, 10:12 PM
IMO, the best play for Texans is to address/upgrade DL. Chris Canty DE of the Dallas Cowboys is under rated in my book & a big reason Ware gets as many open looks as he does. you place him @ LDE & unleash Mario. he is stout against the run, could also fill in DT, plays 3-4 DE & is a proven talent the Texans could lock up replacing Weaver, who by all accounts will be cut June 1st. then in the draft you can open things up a bit & take the top CB or LB to enhance the backside thereby allowing this so called transformation into a more aggressive style to take place :cool:

PapaL
02-22-2009, 10:34 PM
A. Stecker - I like him.

TexanAddict
02-23-2009, 12:49 AM
Haynesworth wants a 6yr deal for $100 million. Do you want to give him close to that?

Vilma has a degenerative knee problem and I frankly don't like him over Diles and/or Adibi' potential

Sean Jones and Derrick Ward - I would love those two guys and they'd really fill out some holes on our roster too.

No, but I would hope our FO would bring Haynesworth in for a visit, since he would fill a need and it would be doing their due diligence. I have no false hope that we would actually sign him.

Vilma's knee didn't seem to slow him down too much last year, as he started every game for the Saints. I understand you may mean as a long term investment, and I can agree with that. However, he is young, experienced, and when healthy, is an upgrade over Diles right now. I suggested him since other FA LBs will be more actively targeted, and might be had at a cheaper price.

I'm not sure Ward would come here in another complimentary role, since that is what he had in NY, but if he would I would be all over him.

I think Jones should be the top target for the Texans, since we should be able to get him without breaking the bank (although he may not be cheap), he is young, experienced, and seems to get his hands on the ball.

Big Poundcake
02-23-2009, 10:35 AM
I really like S Sean Jones. I hope the Texans try and bring him in.

wags
02-25-2009, 07:14 PM
Dolphins | Crowder re-signed
Wed, 25 Feb 2009 15:54:43 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the Miami Dolphins have re-signed LB Channing Crowder to a multi-year contract. Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

http://kffl.com

whiskeyrbl
02-25-2009, 07:41 PM
With recent news of the Texans shopping J. Jones, I think the Texans may take a look at Chris Carr(Tennessee Titans). He is a CB/Return specialist. Would give us our return threat and add depth at CB.

mussop
02-25-2009, 08:07 PM
With recent news of the Texans shopping J. Jones, I think the Texans may take a look at Chris Carr(Tennessee Titans). He is a CB/Return specialist. Would give us our return threat and add depth at CB.

Dont want him just because of his name.

Big Poundcake
02-25-2009, 09:24 PM
I would really like S Sean Jones.

barrett
02-25-2009, 09:37 PM
I'm not sure Ward would come here in another complimentary role, since that is what he had in NY, but if he would I would be all over him.
He was quoted on a radio show as saying he would like to play behind Slaton.