PDA

View Full Version : Jaguars Release RB Fred Taylor

brakos82
02-16-2009, 12:26 PM
The Jaguars have released 11-year veteran running back Fred Taylor on Monday, indicating its desire to get a younger running back, according to a team source who requested anonymity because an official announcement hasn't been made. The Jaguars plan to announce the move today at 1:30 p.m. at Jacksonville Municipal Stadium. Ranked No. 16 on the NFLís all-time rushing list, Taylor has rushed for 11,271 yards and 62 touchdowns.

Source: Florida Times-Union (http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2009-02-16/story/fred_taylor_released_from_jaguars)

Yankee_In_TX
02-16-2009, 12:28 PM
How's his health been?

mexican_texan
02-16-2009, 12:28 PM
I have sources confirming the release. Good thing, he tends to do well against us. Hello, Denver; hopefully this opens the door for us to get Selvin Young.

Mailman
02-16-2009, 12:30 PM
How's his health been?

Fine. He's been mostly healthy for years now.

ETA: He missed the last three games of this season with a thumb injury.

nunusguy
02-16-2009, 12:53 PM
The truth is Fred Taylor has been nothing less than one of the top running backs of his time. A really great player and a great competitor.

Hervoyel
02-16-2009, 12:55 PM
I'd try to sign him to play with Steve Slaton and hold off addressing the "complimentary" running back situation for another season. That is of course assuming he'd be interested in a chance to play Jacksonville twice a season and show them that they let him go a bit too early (and I think they did).

Slaton, Taylor, and Moats is a pretty good backfield by any estimation.

steelbtexan
02-16-2009, 12:57 PM
I would like to see the Texans pick up Taylor to be the 10 carry back to supplement Slaton. They also need to draft a young power RB (G. Johnson ) is my choice.

PapaL
02-16-2009, 01:00 PM
If by sources you mean it's been on Sportcenter for a couple hours now, then yes we have sources saying he was released.

Jags cut RB Taylor in cap move
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3911006

Yankee_In_TX
02-16-2009, 01:00 PM
I'm ok with this IF we structure the deal such that we're protected if he gets hurt/doesn't play.

Just nervous we'll end up with another hurt back.

Hervoyel
02-16-2009, 01:02 PM
I'm ok with this IF we structure the deal such that we're protected if he gets hurt/doesn't play.

The law of averages says that eventually we're bound to sign one that works out.

Mailman
02-16-2009, 01:07 PM

He's only missed five games over the last three seasons. The Fragile Fred label is one of the most undeserved nicknames in the NFL in the last decade.

Marcus
02-16-2009, 01:09 PM
Ahman Greene was a good running back before he came here, too.

Why did the Jags let him go again? Because of it's "desire to go with younger"? But they already have Marice Jones-Drew for that.

hmmmmm

I think I'll read between the lines . . . and pass.

TimeKiller
02-16-2009, 01:12 PM
Hey, it's been a pain to see him lining up on the other side twice a year. I think he's hit the decline but still has the ability to stick it to opposing defenses. I'm fine with him as long as they draft a late-round guy for RB as well. If they're looking at a 3rd or 4th round guy I say pass.

Texecutioner
02-16-2009, 01:13 PM
I have sources confirming the release. Good thing, he tends to do well against us. Hello, Denver; hopefully this opens the door for us to get Selvin Young.

Why the hell would we want Selvin YOung? He can't stay healthy to save his life. He never could even stay healthy in college. I liike Selvin a lot being a UT fan and all, but the last two years he has battled quite a few injuries. He is as injury prone as a player can get. Plus, we already have a good scat back type of runner in Slaton. Young would not be that much different than Slaton, except for the fact that he can't run near as hard.

mexican_texan
02-16-2009, 01:15 PM
Ahman Greene was a good running back before he came here, too.

Why did the Jags let him go again? Because of it's "desire to go with younger"? But they already have Marice Jones-Drew for that.

hmmmmm

Ahman Green had 2,015 career carries, but was injured coming into Houston and never healed.

Fred Taylor has 2,428 but I don't think its the same. It's not fair to label every veteran running back we look at as the next Ahman Green.

gary
I'd try to sign him to play with Steve Slaton and hold off addressing the "complimentary" running back situation for another season. That is of course assuming he'd be interested in a chance to play Jacksonville twice a season and show them that they let him go a bit too early (and I think they did).

Slaton, Taylor, and Moats is a pretty good backfield by any estimation.I love the sound of that backfield as long as all three stay healthy.

Texecutioner
I would like to see the Texans pick up Taylor to be the 10 carry back to supplement Slaton. They also need to draft a young power RB (G. Johnson ) is my choice.

My first thought was I'd love to have him back there with Slaton, but why are the Jags getting rid of him now? That spells buyer beware to me. He may have been healthy for the last two to three years and all, but I have a funny thought that tells me he is about to have a ton of injuries now and Jacksonville probably saw the writing on the wall already. I'm not sure that Taylor would be good for the Texans right now.

Mailman
02-16-2009, 01:16 PM

hmmmmm

I think it probably has more to do with $$$$.

Ole Miss Texan
02-16-2009, 01:18 PM
I'd love to get Fred Taylor here. My first thought after that was to Denver though. They could really use a starting RB. I like Hillis a lot but I think if they use him more as FB they could have an all pro FB on their hands. The new HC probably will like to use Hillis' versatility though. And coming from NE, why not pick up an older RB?

Taylor was released because of his contract. He was due to make too much this season for the limited carries he was probably going to get. Saves the Jags $6 million.

Texecutioner
02-16-2009, 01:19 PM
I think it probably has more to do with $$$$.

You're right that he stayed healthy a bit the last few3 years but right before that he was always getting dinged up.

If the Jags don't even want him, I think they're probably feeling like he can't remain healthy for another season the way he did the last two seasons before this one where he got hurt again. If we could get him for dirt cheap it might not be that bad of an idea, but man with his old age, recent injuries from last year, and wear and tear from so many years, I'm not so sure that I even want the Texans to waste their time taking another chance on a guy at the end of his career like this.

Mailman
02-16-2009, 01:19 PM
My first thought was I'd love to have him back there with Slaton, but why are the Jags getting rid of him now? That spells buyer beware to me. He may have been healthy for the last two to three years and all, but I have a funny thought that tells me he is about to have a ton of injuries now and Jacksonville probably saw the writing on the wall already. I'm not sure that Taylor would be good for the Texans right now.

He was due five million dollars next season. Aren't the Jags in a serious salary cap pinch?

Thorn
02-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Considering the Texans history with free agent RBs, I believe I'll pass on Fred Taylor. As I said in the Ricky Williams thread, let's pick someone up in the draft in the 3rd or 4th round.

Texecutioner
02-16-2009, 01:28 PM
Considering the Texans history with free agent RBs, I believe I'll pass on Fred Taylor. As I said in the Ricky Williams thread, let's pick someone up in the draft in the 3rd or 4th round.

I'm thinking that might be the best option Thorn. Like you, I don't want to go after another older back like we did with Green or a real injury prone one like Chris Brown.

If we went after a free agent RB, I would rather get a younger guy that has been a back up to a real good player and doesn't have the long history of injuries or wear and tear. Every year there is a pretty nice gem out there that is a back up to someone else that is really good and they just need their opportunities to get more carries with another team. Chester Taylor, Michael Turner, and the Larry Johnson types (When he was backing up Homes).

Mailman
02-16-2009, 01:30 PM
You're right that he stayed healthy a bit the last few3 years but right before that he was always getting dinged up.

Nah, that is NFL fan bunk reminiscent of the bogus crap we Texans heard this past offseason about AJ always being hurt. I say this as a fantasy geek who owned Taylor various seasons and took advantage of the Fragile Fred myth.

Since 2002, Taylor has played in the following number of games (in reverse chronological order):

He's missed twelve games in seven years, and he's played well the last three seasons. He is an all-time great for a reason.

If the Jags don't even want him, I think they're probably feeling like he can't remain healthy for another season the way he did the last two seasons before this one where he got hurt again. If we could get him for dirt cheap it might not be that bad of an idea, but man with his old age, recent injuries from last year, and wear and tear from so many years, I'm not so sure that I even want the Texans to waste their time taking another chance on a guy at the end of his career like this.

Del Rio wanted him back and said as much at the end of the year, but his contract situation makes him an easy cut since they already have their stud RB in MJD.

tedr
02-16-2009, 01:30 PM
...has been released. Think the Texans might have an interest?

Texecutioner
02-16-2009, 01:38 PM
Nah, that is NFL fan bunk reminiscent of the bogus crap we Texans heard this past offseason about AJ always being hurt. I say this as a fantasy geek who owned Taylor various seasons and took advantage of the Fragile Fred myth.

Since 2002, Taylor has played in the following number of games (in reverse chronological order):

He's missed twelve games in seven years, and he's played well the last three seasons. He is an all-time great for a reason.

Del Rio wanted him back and said as much at the end of the year, but his contract situation makes him an easy cut since they already have their stud RB in MJD.

I think what you're saying has a lot of validity Mailman and you have some good points. I just have that feeling that his LUCK HEALTH is about to run out now. I mean look at how many carries the guy has had in his career. Now I know that MJD took a lot of carries as well making it easier on his body, but I just feel this will probably be a season Where he starts getting hurt again. He is at that age where you have to be concerned about him or any RB for that matter.

Personally I want to go with a younger guy that doesn't have over 10 years on his belt of being a starter where he has taken Millions of hits all over his body. I think it would be much safer to either draft another guy or get a young free agent that has been backing someone else up but has good potential.

Marcus
02-16-2009, 01:41 PM
I'm betting that he's going to retire.

And even if he doesn't, at 33, he'll one or two years left in him. So, he'll go to a team that has the best shot of getting a ring in the short term.

That leaves us out.

bah007
02-16-2009, 01:43 PM
No...

Marcus
02-16-2009, 01:47 PM
...has been released. Think the Texans might have an interest?

The better question is . . .

Would Taylor have any interest in us? :spit:

Texecutioner
02-16-2009, 01:48 PM

And even if he doesn't, at 33, he'll one or two years left in him. So, he'll go to a team that has the best shot of getting a ring in the short term.

That leaves us out.

I think the Patriots would be a good team for him possibly.

mexican_texan
02-16-2009, 01:48 PM
PFT says Taylor offered to take less money. Seems like they are actually looking to "go young." In other words, the Jaguars are no longer playoff contenders.

mexican_texan
02-16-2009, 01:51 PM

That leaves us out.
The team initially asked Taylor if he wanted to retire.

“I said, ‘No, I’m not ready for that,’” Taylor said.
From PFT

Texecutioner
02-16-2009, 01:52 PM
PFT says Taylor offered to take less money. Seems like they are actually looking to "go young." In other words, the Jaguars are no longer playoff contenders.

I wasn't to worried about the Jags going into last season, since they didn't improve their WR core and they had injury issues going into the season at O line. I predicted they would fall off. Now going into this season, the Jags are not only looking worse than last year but really bad. They have already issued a statement that they aren't interested in signing any free agents in the off season and I have a good feeling that they just might even let a few of their own free agents go as well. They're going to work out of the draft and that is probably it. They have a lot of needs to fill as well. We won't have to worry about the Jags next season at all.

Mailman
02-16-2009, 02:00 PM
I think what you're saying has a lot of validity Mailman and you have some good points. I just have that feeling that his LUCK HEALTH is about to run out now. I mean look at how many carries the guy has had in his career. Now I know that MJD took a lot of carries as well making it easier on his body, but I just feel this will probably be a season Where he starts getting hurt again. He is at that age where you have to be concerned about him or any RB for that matter.

Personally I want to go with a younger guy that doesn't have over 10 years on his belt of being a starter where he has taken Millions of hits all over his body. I think it would be much safer to either draft another guy or get a young free agent that has been backing someone else up but has good potential.

Yes, I'd prefer a younger guy also because I'm slightly averse to signing an AG 2.0. I'd have the same sneaky bad feeling if the Texans were to bring Taylor in. I think he can be a solid back for quite a few teams, I'm just not sure if the Texans should be one of them.

Texecutioner
02-16-2009, 02:05 PM
Yes, I'd prefer a younger guy also because I'm slightly averse to signing an AG 2.0. I'd have the same sneaky bad feeling if the Texans were to bring Taylor in. I think he can be a solid back for quite a few teams, I'm just not sure if the Texans should be one of them.

Exactly. I think the Patriots would be a perfect fit for him or even maybe the Cardinals as well since they'll be losing Edge and he could help out Hightower and Arrington. I could see him doing well for the Colts possibly.

I don't think he would be a good player to take a chance on with our history. We just can't afford to have any more misses like that. I'm not saying he couldn't work out, but I just don't want to go down that road again.

Hervoyel
02-16-2009, 02:06 PM

You know, I stumbled across a pile of DVD's I'd made years ago for someone the other night and since I hadn't labeled them I went through the stack to see what they were. Mostly it was the 2003 season.

I can't even imagine how well off our running game would be right now if we hadn't lost Domanick Davis. I watched those games with a renewed sense of appreciation for that guy. At the time I really did think that he was mostly a product of our just not having anyone else back there and of David Carr funneling 80% of our offense through him (which was true) but that didn't account for all of it. There was more to "DD" than just opportunity. If you have the chance to go back and look at some of his games you'll be impressed. He was something special and had some serious "pop" to him. I think he went through the hole very much the same way Slaton does with that quick first step but of course he never had anywhere near the speed that Steve does. Instead Davis was strong and would could move a pile or carry a guy if he had to. He would have been the perfect compliment to Steve Slaton.

If we still had him and had stumbled across Slaton as well then we'd be so deep at RB that discussions like this would never see the light of day. I wonder if he ever got to feeling better again. I hope he's doing good wherever he is.

Texanballer
02-16-2009, 02:37 PM
Do you all think we should make an off to the guy and see if he accepts? Would you be ok offering money used to sign a Good defensive player of some kind

gary
02-16-2009, 02:39 PM
We won't sign a good FA D player.

Blake
02-16-2009, 02:42 PM
We just dumped an aging Green and you think Fred Taylor is the answer?

Texecutioner
02-16-2009, 02:46 PM
What is this 3 or 4 threads on Taylor within two hours? Can we just merge them all into one? No reason to have multiple threads about the same exact thing.

TEXANS84
02-16-2009, 02:47 PM
What is this 3 or 4 threads on Taylor within two hours? Can we just merge them all into one? No reason to have multiple threads about the same exact thing.

I keep merging them and they keep re-appearing.

Guys, FT threads will be in the NFL forum.

Texecutioner
02-16-2009, 02:48 PM
I keep merging them and they keep re-appearing.

Guys, FT threads will be in the NFL forum.

Thanks Texans84.

mexican_texan
02-16-2009, 02:54 PM
We won't sign a good FA D player.
When we have needs at just about every position on that side of the ball with plenty of money to spend?

Mr teX
02-16-2009, 03:02 PM

What in the hell do you want selvin young for? he couldn't stay healthy in college & it's been the same in the pros. we'd basically be getting the younger & likely cheaper version of Ahman Green.

gary
02-16-2009, 03:03 PM
Fred will probably go to a contending so instead of us getting all excited about these older vets we should probably just draft a younger RB and be done with all of this bla bla back and fourth stuff JMO.

HOU-TEX
02-16-2009, 03:06 PM
Fred will probably go to a contending so instead of us getting all excited about these older vets we should probably just draft a younger RB and be done with all of this bla bla back and fourth stuff JMO.

As much as I agree with your POV, Gary, it makes for some decent entertainment at times.

I agree about drafting another young RB, but on the 2nd day of course.

DiehardChris
02-16-2009, 03:22 PM
I want to go young for our RBs, but I also see a lot of value in having a veteran. It's just too important of a position to not have someone experienced back there.

Fred Taylor? TOO old. Too expensive. Derrick Ward is the kind of guy I'm thinking of, but he's too expensive - especially since he's switching agents to Drew Rosenhaus.

I don't know what the answer is. I'd like a veteran in the 27-29 years old range, but all the ones worth a damn are too expensive.

Draft-wise, right now I'm definitely on the Gartrell Johnson of CSU bandwagon.

Mailman
02-16-2009, 03:29 PM
I want to go young for our RBs, but I also see a lot of value in having a veteran. It's just too important of a position to not have someone experienced back there.

Fred Taylor? TOO old. Too expensive. Derrick Ward is the kind of guy I'm thinking of, but he's too expensive - especially since he's switching agents to Drew Rosenhaus.

I don't know what the answer is. I'd like a veteran in the 27-29 years old range, but all the ones worth a damn are too expensive.

Draft-wise, right now I'm definitely on the Gartrell Johnson of CSU bandwagon.

What is Maurice Morris expected to get contract-wise? I could go for a guy like him.

gary
02-16-2009, 04:02 PM
As much as I agree with your POV, Gary, it makes for some decent entertainment at times.

I agree about drafting another young RB, but on the 2nd day of course.All this back and fouth just gets old to me.

TexansSeminole
02-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Hadn't read alot of this, but I am assuming there are some for it and some say not another 30+ FA RB.

I think we need two more RBs on this roster, because right now we have Slaton and Moats, who I don't expect almost anything from next year.

I'd welcome Fred Taylor here even though he is a Gator. He's been a strong runner the last 2 years.