PDA

View Full Version : Reminder The Cook Off Is Sunday At Bubba's

gary
02-16-2009, 10:27 AM
All cookers must be there at 8 am. If you aren't going to cook the gates open at 10 am. A tasting bracelet will cost $5.00.

Drew_Smoke
02-16-2009, 11:47 AM
Do you have a schedule for turn-ins, ect.?

gary
02-16-2009, 11:55 AM
Yes we do. You won't be there Doc said right?

Drew_Smoke
02-16-2009, 12:09 PM
Yes we do. You won't be there Doc said right?

Please post it or put up a link. We'll be out but Ma can't cook it. She is hooking up with her friend in the afternoon as they both have to fly out early Monday morning.

Plus....she wanted Doc to have a chance at a trophy....:elmo:

gary
02-16-2009, 01:23 PM
First call for margaritas will be at 12:45 and samples have to be in at 1:00. There will be a call for the tater salad at 1:45 and the samples have to be in at 2:00 and there will be a call for the chili at 2:45 and samples have to be in at 3:00. All samples have to be in on time.

Cjeremy635
02-16-2009, 01:46 PM
OK, so I'm kinda thinking about trying to enter this thing to support you. I think I make a great batch of chili and the wife makes some awesome tater salad, but I (we've) never done a cookoff. So, I've got a few questions for the experienced ones:

1) How does it work?
2) Does everything have to be cooked on site?
3) What is provided, if anything, and what are you allowed to bring?

I may have more, but that's a start.

Drew_Smoke
02-16-2009, 01:50 PM
I think its too late to register for this one but I would say to come check it out. Then look for a cookoff near you (KofC/VFWs) and just go for it. You'll learn as you go.

See here... http://www.thegaryjlynnfoundation.org/events/upcoming/rules.php

gary
02-16-2009, 02:11 PM
OK, so I'm kinda thinking about trying to enter this thing to support you. I think I make a great batch of chili and the wife makes some awesome tater salad, but I (we've) never done a cookoff. So, I've got a few questions for the experienced ones:

1) How does it work?
2) Does everything have to be cooked on site?
3) What is provided, if anything, and what are you allowed to bring?

I may have more, but that's a start.I sent a PM call me ASAP.

gary
02-16-2009, 02:24 PM
It is not too late to enter the cook off.

Drew_Smoke
02-16-2009, 02:32 PM
cool...I hope ya'll had a bunch sign up.

gary
02-16-2009, 02:35 PM
A couple more would not hurt.

Cjeremy635
02-16-2009, 03:22 PM
edit post

Cjeremy635
02-16-2009, 03:22 PM
Gary, glad you guys could fit us in. I forgot to ask your mom, but how much potatoe salad should we plan on making? I saw the 3 gallons of chili, but didn't see the specs on the tater sald. Also, am I allowed to bring some sort of canopy? So far, I know I can bring a table (I'm thinking one that's about 8 feet long, is that too big or should I go for something in the 4-6' range?), chairs, pots, utensils, propane & burners, and ingredients, etc. Is there something I'm missing, I've never done this before and I don't want to come unprepared and be missing something major. Any feedback from a cookoff pro would be helpful also.

gary
02-16-2009, 03:47 PM
You can bring a canopy and if I think a 6 foot table would be better. The spots ar 10x10. A minumum of 5 pounds for the potato salad. There should be a lot of people tasting. Check what you need for your chili and make sure you have all your ingredients. You have to bring your own pots and utensils and all your own ingredients.

Cjeremy635
02-16-2009, 03:52 PM
You can bring a canopy and if I think a 6 foot table would be better. The spots ar 10x10. A minumum of 5 pounds for the potato salad. There should be a lot of people tasting. Check what you need for your chili and make sure you have all your ingredients. You have to bring your own pots and utensils and all your own ingredients.

Great, I've got it all covered then. We'll probably make atleast 10 lbs of tater salad, the stuff goes fast. I'm looking forward to it, can't wait to meet all of you guys/gals.

gary
02-16-2009, 04:08 PM
I am so glad you are coming. I just found out the Rockets donated a signed ball and we have a signed jersey from Earl Campbell. A few tv stations are coming at noon.

Cjeremy635
02-16-2009, 04:11 PM
I am so glad you are coming. I just found out the Rockets donated a signed ball and we have a signed jersey from Earl Campbell. A few tv stations are coming at noon.

Wow, that's awesome man. It sounds like it's going to be a great turn out and the weather is supposed to be fantastic. Weather.com says 0% chance of rain with the highs around 63 or so. Should be perfect.

gary
02-16-2009, 04:16 PM
As long as it doesn't rain I will be happy.

Cjeremy635
02-16-2009, 04:28 PM
As long as it doesn't rain I will be happy.

Do you know who all is coming that is from this board?

gary
02-16-2009, 04:31 PM
Not off the top of my head.

Joe Texan
02-16-2009, 04:34 PM
Gary does your mom approve of your choice of magazine Avatar, I sure do

gary
02-16-2009, 04:38 PM
No, she never yells but she is yelling now. All day she is on me but she doesn't know how to change the avatar so there is nothing she can do. She said if I do not change it she is taking away the computer.

Cjeremy635
02-16-2009, 04:41 PM
No, she never yells but she is yelling now. All day she is on me but she doesn't know how to change the avatar so there is nothing she can do. She said if I do not change it she is taking away the computer.

Just tell her it's a typical, red blooded, teenage male thing. I'd be more worried if you didn't have it....lol.

gary
02-16-2009, 04:44 PM
Just tell her it's a typical, red blooded, teenage male thing. I'd be more worried if you didn't have it....lol.Go tell that to my mom.:):):)

Cjeremy635
02-16-2009, 04:48 PM
Go tell that to my mom.:):):)

Just let her read my post, I'll take full responsibility for my words. But if it has to wait, I'll let her know to cut you some slack on Sunday, lol. I remember being 16, trust me, that photo is nothing compared to the stuff that goes on in a 16 year old kid's head. :smiliedance:

gary
02-16-2009, 04:52 PM
lol.

Honoring Earl 34
02-16-2009, 05:25 PM

Photoshop PETA under the bunny .

gary
02-16-2009, 05:28 PM
Don't have Photoshop.

Honoring Earl 34
02-16-2009, 05:30 PM
Don't have Photoshop.

Good gosh Gary , get a sharpie then .

gary
02-16-2009, 05:32 PM
Good gosh Gary , get a sharpie then .Write on my screen lol.

Honoring Earl 34
02-16-2009, 05:36 PM
Write on my screen lol.

Yep ... that's what Titan fans do .

gary
02-16-2009, 05:41 PM
If I write something it'd be something worth my wild like T. Mac stinks lol.

Honoring Earl 34
02-16-2009, 05:43 PM
If I write something it'd be something worth my wild like T. Mac stinks lol.

http://www.eteamz.com/auburndaleyouthbasketball/images/TMac_1024x768.jpg

gary
02-16-2009, 05:47 PM
http://www.eteamz.com/auburndaleyouthbasketball/images/TMac_1024x768.jpgIf I had Photoshop I'd fix this up good lol.

GlassHalfFull
02-16-2009, 09:13 PM
All cookers must be there at 8 am. If you aren't going to cook the gates open at 10 am. A tasting bracelet will cost $5.00.

If you are cooking, do you need to buy a tasting bracelet?

gary
02-16-2009, 09:14 PM
No.

Drew_Smoke
02-16-2009, 09:20 PM
Dude...your avatar looks like a corpse with water balloons.

Sorry..I am kinda picky.

Cjeremy635
02-17-2009, 08:59 AM
Heading to HEB after work to get the chili supplies. I'm thinking of tweaking my recipe for the cookoff, so I'll probably make a small batch this evening to see if I can kick it up a notch. Although, it is hard to improve on perfection.

Gary, just so you know, I told my wife about you last night and she can't wait to meet you. We'd like to help you out if you have any other fundraising events or any other way you need. Let us know.

gary
02-17-2009, 05:26 PM
Ok, thank you.

kermit
02-17-2009, 07:59 PM
Dude...your avatar looks like a corpse with water balloons.

Sorry..I am kinda picky.

Gary,
Do you see how that "avatar" has now taken posters off task?
Get rid of it.

gary
02-17-2009, 08:05 PM
What do you all say?

Drew_Smoke
02-18-2009, 03:41 PM
What do you all say?

I say you could do alot better.

gary
02-18-2009, 08:30 PM
I say you could do alot better.Really? BTW, someone remind Ted, and TXdavid for me.

Dread-Head
02-19-2009, 01:05 AM
I'll try to make it after church.

gary
02-19-2009, 05:36 PM
Sounds good.

Texan_Bill
02-19-2009, 05:46 PM
Really? BTW, someone remind Ted, and TXdavid for me.

I'll call both today!

gary
02-19-2009, 06:01 PM
Great.

gary
02-21-2009, 10:26 AM
Tomorrow is the day and remember Fox 26 is going to be out there at noon.

Dr2bKay
02-21-2009, 06:00 PM
Gary,

Good luck with your cook out tomorrow! I wish that I was in Houston to attend! See you at the draft party...

gary
02-21-2009, 11:53 PM
Thanks so much.

Drew_Smoke
02-22-2009, 11:42 AM
Doc said they have a good turnout of cookers. I am about to mosey on over.

Old School
02-22-2009, 12:51 PM
Wish I could go but it seems that I am always out of town when these things happen.

GlassHalfFull
02-22-2009, 07:19 PM
Gary, it was a fun day. Thank you for organizing this. Especially since the best team won the important part of the contest. :thisbig:

You couldn't have paid for better weather. And Sean loved the birthday present he got from the auction.

Dread-Head
02-22-2009, 07:23 PM
Mad props to the blue crew on the potato salad. Normally I HATE potato salad...but that was art.

Kimmy
02-22-2009, 07:27 PM
Who won what? It was a lot of fun, I am bleeding chili instead of red & blue today :)

GlassHalfFull
02-22-2009, 07:44 PM
Who won what? It was a lot of fun, I am bleeding chili instead of red & blue today :)

I'm sorry we didn't get to meet you. Several people from the board were there representing. Our crew got 2nd place in the potato salad competition (thank you Amy) and 1st in the chili (Ted rules)!

Kimmy
02-22-2009, 07:46 PM
They were BOTH good! I mixed a little of the chili with the tater salad - YUM! I am still sooooo full LOL

Wolf
02-22-2009, 07:56 PM
I'm sorry we didn't get to meet you. Several people from the board were there representing. Our crew got 2nd place in the potato salad competition (thank you Amy) and 1st in the chili (Ted rules)!

H.E.B.??? :glasshalffull: :joker:

Andrew6
02-23-2009, 07:20 AM
Well I learned that my wife can actually cook one thing. Potatoe salad. She is going to have to work on the . . . umm well everything else. Congrats Ted on the Chilli I'll be having some for lunch.

76Texan
02-23-2009, 08:09 AM
Gary and gang!
It's really too bad that I missed out on this one! :scarygirl:

Texan_Bill
02-23-2009, 08:17 AM
H.E.B.??? :glasshalffull: :joker:

Ummmm no. I'm now convinced in Katie's recipe!!!

Gary and gang!
It's really too bad that I missed out on this one! :scarygirl:

Loser!!

Texan_Bill
02-23-2009, 08:18 AM
Gary we had an awesome time!! What a turn out!!!

GlassHalfFull
02-23-2009, 08:37 AM
Well I learned that my wife can actually cook one thing. Potatoe salad. She is going to have to work on the . . . umm well everything else. Congrats Ted on the Chilli I'll be having some for lunch.

Umm, you do know she has an ID on this MB!?! It was nice knowing you.:cool:

And Amy gets full credit for the potato salad. I was the choppomatic person yesterday.

Cjeremy635
02-23-2009, 08:42 AM
It was great to finally meet you guys/gals yesterday. We had a blast and we'll definately have to get together again before too long.

SheTexan
02-23-2009, 08:43 AM
Gary,

So sorry to have had to miss your cookoff yesterday, but, you know my reasons. I would have been there on any other weekend.

Gongrats to the winners, and I know you all had a great time.

Drew_Smoke
02-23-2009, 09:06 AM
So who won what?

Where's all the pics?

Amy's tater salad was really good. Very unique recipe.

#73 is a big ol boy, ain't he? Nice guy too. He made a point to go around to every team.

Matt Jackson looked like it will be a whiile before he has any chili or potato salad.

The Mrs slept very well. LOL

Cjeremy635
02-23-2009, 09:25 AM
So who won what?

Where's all the pics?

#73 is a big ol boy, ain't he? Nice guy too. He made a point to go around to every team.

Matt Jackson looked like it will be a whiile before he has any chili or potato salad.

I didn't win anything, other than getting to finally meet some message board peeps. (which was much better). Joe won everything in the raffles and another category (can't remember what). Blue Crew kicked butt in a few categories. Me and the Mrs, not so much. But good food, good friends, good cause....that's what it was really all about. Gary, it was great to finally meet you and we would be honored to help out at any other function your foundation decides to put on. We'd be happy to volunteer to hand stuff out, serve people, whatever you guys would need. Let us know. :)

And yes, #73 was HUGE!

Kimmy
02-23-2009, 10:11 AM
I didn't win anything, other than getting to finally meet some message board peeps. (which was much better). Joe won everything in the raffles and another category (can't remember what). Blue Crew kicked butt in a few categories. Me and the Mrs, not so much. But good food, good friends, good cause....that's what it was really all about. Gary, it was great to finally meet you and we would be honored to help out at any other function your foundation decides to put on. We'd be happy to volunteer to hand stuff out, serve people, whatever you guys would need. Let us know. :)

And yes, #73 was HUGE!

What else did Joe win? I gave him my last two raffle tix on my way out, if he won something good, I may have to claim it LOL

Texecutioner
02-23-2009, 11:06 AM
My stomach was really full all night from all of that chilli. The potato salad was the best though that Glass made. It was nice meeting a everyone as well.

Cjeremy635
02-23-2009, 11:08 AM
What else did Joe win? I gave him my last two raffle tix on my way out, if he won something good, I may have to claim it LOL

I honestly can't remember. I think he won a $25 gift card for Bubba's and another gift card for a round of golf. IIRC, he won a couple of other items. He also won 2nd place in one of the cookoff events and I think he got a knife set and a cutting board for that one.

Tedc
02-23-2009, 11:52 AM
I am sure that Gary will post the results with some pics later.

I had a fantastic time. Amy's potato salad won 2nd place and Lynn's margaritas didn't win but should have by all accounts of the tasters. We won 1st in chili but it was not me. Our team worked so well together chopping up the fixings and Dave (Glass Half Full's husband) did most of the work in browning. I just threw my 2 cents in along with a few seasonings from time to time.

Again, it was a team effort, and there is no other team I would rather have had.

The Blue Crew rocks.

BTW, nice to meet Jeremy and the Mrs. You guys need to make it out to more events. Remember to contact me this season about going to a game and being our guest at the Blue Crew tailgate.

Cjeremy635
02-23-2009, 12:21 PM
I am sure that Gary will post the results with some pics later.

I had a fantastic time. Amy's potato salad won 2nd place and Lynn's margaritas didn't win but should have by all accounts of the tasters. We won 1st in chili but it was not me. Our team worked so well together chopping up the fixings and Dave (Glass Half Full's husband) did most of the work in browning. I just threw my 2 cents in along with a few seasonings from time to time.

Again, it was a team effort, and there is no other team I would rather have had.

The Blue Crew rocks.

BTW, nice to meet Jeremy and the Mrs. You guys need to make it out to more events. Remember to contact me this season about going to a game and being our guest at the Blue Crew tailgate.

It was great to meet you and your crew as well Ted. We had a lot of invites for football season tailgating yesterday....and we are definately going to take all of you guys up on the offer. Let us know what to bring, and we're there. Also, do you guys know of any other get togethers? We're looking forward to meeting more of the fellow boarders, so it would be nice to not have to wait until football season. Maybe someone can put something together? The beach, the lake, it doesn't matter to us.

GlassHalfFull
02-23-2009, 12:28 PM
It was great to meet you and your crew as well Ted. We had a lot of invites for football season tailgating yesterday....and we are definately going to take all of you guys up on the offer. Let us know what to bring, and we're there. Also, do you guys know of any other get togethers? We're looking forward to meeting more of the fellow boarders, so it would be nice to not have to wait until football season. Maybe someone can put something together? The beach, the lake, it doesn't matter to us.

I had a great time also and had fun meeting new people. I probably shouldn't have taste tested the margaritas QUITE so much.

And Ted is being too modest. He was the genius behind the chili!

I will probably be at the draft day party at Reliant. There was a good turnout last year of message board members there, we also were able to park free and tailgate. I am hoping they allow that again this year.

Dread-Head
02-23-2009, 12:34 PM
I sampled a little bit of this and a little bit of that. The good, the bad and the ugly...and need an antacid. Fortunately I was able to take a sample of the blue crew's "award winning" chili home.

disaacks3
02-23-2009, 01:51 PM
Sounds like I missed a lot of fun. Couldn't get out of the house till almost 4p - sorry Gary.

Kimmy
02-23-2009, 03:20 PM
So who won what?

Where's all the pics?

Uploaded some pictures here -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/krazykimmy/sets/72157614350384410/

The upload is on 11 of 41, so give it some time to finish :)

Double Barrel
02-23-2009, 04:11 PM
I'm sorry we missed your event, Gary! Our baby girl had other plans for us, though, so hopefully we can make it to the next one and you will get to meet her. :)

Drew_Smoke
02-23-2009, 04:51 PM
The next cookoff we're doing is supoosed to be March 27th & 28th..a Fri & Sat. It's at the End Zone Sports Bar behind West Oaks Mall. Friday night is chili and saturday is bbq and beans.

Its a nice laid back contest. You don't have the big dawgs so much. We had a great time last year.

gary
02-23-2009, 06:29 PM
Mine was suppose to be laid back and it was until the results were made. I guess we have to think of something where there are no 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.

Drew_Smoke
02-23-2009, 07:32 PM
FFPCs?

Fun Fair Positive Cookoffs?

There's drama in everything. If anyone didn't like the results they should take it up with the Head Judge...#73.

kermit
02-23-2009, 08:05 PM
UUH! Everyone is fine on that. I don't think anyone is going to take on #73.

I have to tell you though, I do not know who I would have picked had I been a judge. Everything had its own unique taste but it was all so GGGGGOOOODDDDD!!!!!!:

:shots: The Ritas

:fridge: The Tater Salad

:stirpot: The Chili

They were all a :perfect10: