PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Williams: Would you take a chance on him as a backup to Slaton?

Hottoddie
02-15-2009, 04:29 PM
I know everyone would like to sign Derrick Ward, but he's most likely going to get a huge payday. So, I was just wondering about Ricky Williams.

He's listed as an UFA. I know he's 31 years old & has been a headcase the last few years, but he kept his head on straight last year & was actually very effective.

With all the time he's taken off the previous 2-3 years, he should have something left in the tank. Injuries don't seem to have caught up with him yet. He's got the ideal size we're looking for, can catch the ball out of the backfield very well, & still has break away speed.

If you could sign him cheap, would you take a chance on him for 1 or 2 years?

gary
02-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Yes I would.

Mailman
02-15-2009, 04:44 PM
Yes I would.

what gary said. absolutely.

brakos82
02-15-2009, 04:46 PM
Only if the Mexican drug dealers can give him some good stuff.... so I'd say yes.

gary
02-15-2009, 04:48 PM
what gary said. absolutely.Only for cheap though.

Malloy
02-15-2009, 04:48 PM
I love Ricky, deff. yes!

TimeKiller
02-15-2009, 04:54 PM
He would be better than Green was.

gary
02-15-2009, 04:56 PM
For sure but any crap from him he'd be out.

Ole Miss Texan
02-15-2009, 04:57 PM
How's his pass blocking? ;)

GP
02-15-2009, 05:00 PM
I don't think we'll go after another RB in the free agency market. We know how Kubiak thinks when it comes to running backs: Pick 'em up in the middle rounds of the draft.

If it came down to being able to have Ward or Williams, though, I would choose Derrick Ward in a heartbeat.

ObsiWan
02-15-2009, 05:03 PM
I'm not against it... in fact, we'll definitely get more out of him than we did Chris Brown and probably Ahman Green. But you know how Bob McNair is regarding signing folks that have any sort of drama in their backgrounds.... So I don't see it happening.

Hervoyel
02-15-2009, 05:09 PM
I wouldn't even hesitate to sign him but I think I'd be a little bit below his asking price. Still, if a reasonable deal could be done that didn't expose the Texans to too much liability and didn't shortchange Ricky then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

The Texans won't do that though. Ricky likes to get stoned and Bob McNair knows deep down in his God-fearing heart that every time someone sparks up a fattie the baby Jesus cries. In short "We're too good for stoners like Ricky Williams".

DiehardChris
02-15-2009, 05:19 PM
Where are you getting your contract information?

The two places I use for contract info both have him as under contract for 2009 and being a FA in 2010.

Hardcore Texan
02-15-2009, 07:19 PM
I wouldn't even hesitate to sign him but I think I'd be a little bit below his asking price. Still, if a reasonable deal could be done that didn't expose the Texans to too much liability and didn't shortchange Ricky then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

The Texans won't do that though. Ricky likes to get stoned and Bob McNair knows deep down in his God-fearing heart that every time someone sparks up a fattie the baby Jesus cries. In short "We're too good for stoners like Ricky Williams".

Wow.....

RipTraxx
02-15-2009, 07:33 PM
Im done with 30+ Rbs. No thanks.

At this point now that we have the ZBS in place. I think anyone we pick up now should have ran it college or one of the other few teams in the pros.

Stemp
02-15-2009, 07:35 PM
Houston is too close to Austin and his old stomping grounds where he is worshipped. I'd pass on Ricky unless he came CHEAP

mike moffat
02-15-2009, 07:35 PM
Absolutely not. He doesn't belong in football.

Thorn
02-15-2009, 07:41 PM
Im done with 30+ Rbs. No thanks.

Yeah, I'm kinda there myself. I'd rather see us pick up someone in the 3rd or 4th round in the draft.

awtysst
02-15-2009, 07:44 PM
I would ONLY add him for cheap if we still drafted another back in the draft. Having multiple backs that can play is a good thing and will keep Slaton fresh and prolong his career.

Hervoyel
02-15-2009, 07:51 PM

:rolleyes:

If everybody who "doesn't belong in football" was pulled out of the NFL they probably couldn't field 20 teams.

gary
02-15-2009, 07:57 PM

If everybody who "doesn't belong in football" was pulled out of the NFL they probably couldn't field 20 teams.That is right.

Specnatz
02-15-2009, 08:00 PM

Yeah to bad we do not have an owner like they do in Dallas or Cinci where signing trouble makers has earned them all those wins in the playoffs since the Texans have been around. I mean it is just what every owner wants to do is sign a guy and hope that the signing bonus does not become a waste and the team has nothing to show for it.

Maybe we can trade AJ for Ocho Cinco and Chris Henry because having such a nice guy on the team does not relate to winning and bad character guys do.

Norg
02-15-2009, 08:10 PM
How about Brandon Jacobs ....

Hervoyel
02-15-2009, 08:12 PM
Yeah to bad we do not have an owner like they do in Dallas or Cinci where signing trouble makers has earned them all those wins in the playoffs since the Texans have been around. I mean it is just what every owner wants to do is sign a guy and hope that the signing bonus does not become a waste and the team has nothing to show for it.

Maybe we can trade AJ for Ocho Cinco and Chris Henry because having such a nice guy on the team does not relate to winning and bad character guys do.

Right.... because as we all know the world is entirely and absolutely black and white and there is no middle ground and if you're not "Saint" Bob McNair then you must be "Devil" Jerry Jones.

gary
02-15-2009, 08:15 PM
How about Brandon Jacobs ....I wish we all may dream though.

awtysst
02-15-2009, 08:19 PM

If everybody who "doesn't belong in football" was pulled out of the NFL they probably couldn't field 20 teams.

Yeah, but the Texans would still field a team and the CowPokes wouldnt.
THATS got to count for something?!

texanfan2002114
02-15-2009, 09:02 PM

He was franchised by the Giants on either thursday or friday, so no to Jacobs.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Giants-designated-Jacobs-as-franchise-player;_ylt=Ar2ngJXmDERvDmFnqMgIJN_.uLYF?urn=nfl,1 41471

gary
02-15-2009, 09:05 PM
He was franchised by the Giants on either thursday or friday, so no to Jacobs.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Giants-designated-Jacobs-as-franchise-player;_ylt=Ar2ngJXmDERvDmFnqMgIJN_.uLYF?urn=nfl,1 41471Was there any doubt that he would be?

Hottoddie
02-15-2009, 09:27 PM
Where are you getting your contract information?

The two places I use for contract info both have him as under contract for 2009 and being a FA in 2010.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2009/fa/rb.html

SteveSlaton20
02-15-2009, 09:33 PM

Please elaborate.

SteveSlaton20
02-15-2009, 09:35 PM
Excuse me, but what DRUGS are you on?

PHAROAH
02-15-2009, 09:35 PM
not a bad move at all ricky still has it.

The Pencil Neck
02-15-2009, 09:43 PM

He's been tagged. We'd have to give up a couple of firsts to get him.

DiehardChris
02-15-2009, 09:46 PM
I still haven't seen anyone show me a link that says Ricky's a FA.

Rotoworld is usually accurate with their contract numbers in my experience. Maybe not always in the fine details, but almost always with the years and lengths:

Ricky Williams, RB, Miami Dolphins
2009: $3.4 million, 2010: Free Agent

WesmanTexanfan
02-15-2009, 09:50 PM
I would most definatly take ricky....

he is a fundamentally solid runner with a couple extras like speed and smarts..

texanfan2002114
02-15-2009, 10:05 PM
Williams is signed threw 2009-2010, SO KILL THIS THREAD!!!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3561962

"The Dolphins have signed Ricky Williams to a one-year contract extension that will keep him in the Miami backfield through the 2009-10 season."

Nawzer
02-15-2009, 10:33 PM
Yeah. I would take him. You get the added bonus of having a holistic medicine doctor.

Silver Oak
02-15-2009, 10:34 PM
this message board would meltdown if we did sign RW, and in the middle of the season got caught smoking da reefa mon.

like my strippers, I'll go with the younger legs over the old ones.

buddyboy
02-15-2009, 10:35 PM
Excuse me, but what DRUGS are you on?

It's called sarcasm.

BullBlitz
02-15-2009, 10:43 PM
Yes. He is better than nothing - which is basically what we currently have as a backup.

Goldensilence
02-15-2009, 11:27 PM

Yeah that Ricky Williams guy always in soooo much trouble what for again? Smoking pot? Has he been arrested? Beat his wife? Failed to pay child support? DWI? (We've had a few Texans that have had DWIs). Involved in a murder investigation?

The absolute worst thing that Ricky Williams has done is fail to live up to the hype of perhaps the worst trade in professional sports history. There's just no way that anyone could live up to a trade like that. The second so terrible thing he did was quit on a coach that was going to run him into the ground in Miami. Dave had no other real offensive weapons so he was content to having Ricky carry the rock more then anyone two years in row. Although one of those years he did lead the league in rushing yards. Going to UT and being in fairly close contact with Earl Campbell and seeing what that style and pounding did to him and seeing that it wasn't going to end under Dave would scare the crap out of any player IMO.

I'm not saying the guy hasn't handled it well always but with some people you'd think he kicks puppies in his free time, steals candy from small children, and trips old people crossing the street.

Specnatz
02-15-2009, 11:47 PM
I never mention Williams in my post, not once. After signing a player and you can not count on him to be there then what good is he to the team? The only reason Ricky came back to the Dolphins was because he was in debt and they were going after Millions he did not have from the Signing bonus he got. Sorry if I do not want a player that you are not 100% sure will be or is committed to playing and being apart of the team.

I do not understand people whining about not signing guys who have a questionable past. To me that is shocking that people complain about that.

Hottoddie
02-16-2009, 01:14 AM
Williams is signed threw 2009-2010, SO KILL THIS THREAD!!!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3561962

"The Dolphins have signed Ricky Williams to a one-year contract extension that will keep him in the Miami backfield through the 2009-10 season."

Mods,

Please close this thread.

barrett
02-16-2009, 06:34 AM
I do not want a player that you are not 100% sure will be or is committed to playing and being apart of the team.

I do not understand people whining about not signing guys who have a questionable past. To me that is shocking that people complain about that.

I agree. I know alot of these guys are really blessed with ability. They didn't all grow up with an obsessive passion for NFL football like some of us did. Some of them did though. And that's wonderful. The NFL is one of the hardest jobs to get. You really have to be elite just to be given the opportunity to try to make the team. I just can't think of wanting a guy who doesn't have the basic mental stability to look at the opportunity he's been given and embrace it.

Vince Young is a great example, much like Williams (coincidence they came from the same underachieving program?....) guys that have more ability than anybody else but don't have the basic heart to appreciate it.

You can have those type of guys. I don't want them on this team.

Hervoyel
02-16-2009, 08:55 AM
Mods,

Please close this thread.

Why?

Sure he's under contract but the question seems to me to be "Would you take a chance on him as Slaton's backup" and that doesn't change. It's a topic of conversation. What would you do if you heard that the Texans gave a 5th for Ricky? Would you be good with that or would you think it was a waste of a 5th round pick?

It's the off season and there's little enough to talk about until we start getting free agency rolling and the combine gets here. Speculative threads don't need to be deleted. They sink or swim on their own merits and if people aren't interested in talking about their subject then they drop to the bottom of the bowl like all the other fecal matter.

On the other hand even a post like "Mods, please delete this thread" puts it right back on top of the pile.

ArlingtonTexan
02-16-2009, 09:02 AM

It is all about winning. if the Texans were a consistent playoff team on the verge of supperbowl, players with or without character would rarely get discussed. As a losiing team (well now mediocore), for many it appears that the Texans are passing on talent for off-filed reasons when other teams take those type of personality/conduct risks and are more successful.

Hervoyel
02-16-2009, 09:20 AM
I never mention Williams in my post, not once. After signing a player and you can not count on him to be there then what good is he to the team? The only reason Ricky came back to the Dolphins was because he was in debt and they were going after Millions he did not have from the Signing bonus he got. Sorry if I do not want a player that you are not 100% sure will be or is committed to playing and being apart of the team.

My problem is with the simplistic view that every single player who has had any sort of problem in his past is cut from the exact same cloth and so they are all off limits. That drives me nuts. Every person is different and there are plenty of guys playing in the league right now and playing at a high level who have made mistakes in their past. There are also plenty of guys who have never crossed the line with the law or been in trouble with the league substance abuse policy but who I would still not want within a few miles of my locker room. I'm not asking for the Texans to go out and form an "All-Thug" squad. Nobody has ever suggested that. I'm saying they paint players with a broad brush because of their apparent goal where overall player image is concerned and in so doing they fail to mine potential talent. They ignore players who could help them at times.

Specnatz
02-16-2009, 10:28 AM
My problem is with the simplistic view that every single player who has had any sort of problem in his past is cut from the exact same cloth and so they are all off limits. That drives me nuts. Every person is different and there are plenty of guys playing in the league right now and playing at a high level who have made mistakes in their past. There are also plenty of guys who have never crossed the line with the law or been in trouble with the league substance abuse policy but who I would still not want within a few miles of my locker room. I'm not asking for the Texans to go out and form an "All-Thug" squad. Nobody has ever suggested that. I'm saying they paint players with a broad brush because of their apparent goal where overall player image is concerned and in so doing they fail to mine potential talent. They ignore players who could help them at times.

Could this be perception versus reality? It is not like the Texans have gone after many FA and with C&C we never went after any good FA. Every time a player comes available like Ricky several people around here complain about this whole white glove crap. So it makes it sound like they want a team like the Bengals or cowgirls. Maybe I missed the press conference from McNair that said anyone with more than a speeding ticket will not play here.

Yankee_In_TX
02-16-2009, 11:06 AM
No. I don't wanna' overpay for a mediocre back.

Mailman
02-16-2009, 11:29 AM
I know it's moot because he's not leaving Miami, but Ricky Williams shouldn't be dismissed on the basis of his age. Even though he's tenth on the active rushing attempts list (1,923), he's only rushed 324 times since 2005. His tank isn't empty.

Hervoyel
02-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Could this be perception versus reality? It is not like the Texans have gone after many FA and with C&C we never went after any good FA. Every time a player comes available like Ricky several people around here complain about this whole white glove crap. So it makes it sound like they want a team like the Bengals or cowgirls. Maybe I missed the press conference from McNair that said anyone with more than a speeding ticket will not play here.

I would concede that is possible. The Texans haven't held a press conference "tent revival" or anything of the sort but they've made it abundantly clear through their actions and words with the media that they are highly focused on character (which is good) and they've parted ways with players who didn't fit that mold while at the same time bending over backwards to work with players who did. This furthers the appearance that they're interested in character over talent.

The few FA's they have gone after have always been in the mold of the "good guys" I've described which is fine but there have been opportunities to pick up players with less than perfect backgrounds and the Texans haven't given any of them a shot. Nobody. Not one that I can think of. If they'd tried just once with a player who had a bit of a history then you probably wouldn't see as much of this "perception" we're talking about. Philip Buchanon might have been the closest to a risky player but in his case it was more of an attempt at a change of scenery with a guy who had fallen short of his potential than anything. Not exactly what we were talking about.

Maybe it is more perception that reality but as the years go by you'll note that perception tends to become reality in the abscence of anything to contradict it.

HOU-TEX
02-16-2009, 11:56 AM
No..

Texan_Bill
02-16-2009, 12:05 PM
No..

That is a lucid, intelligent, well thought-out post.

:worm:

Mailman
02-16-2009, 12:17 PM
Fred Taylor is expected to be released by the Jags today. Any takers?

gary
02-16-2009, 12:24 PM
Maybe.

HOU-TEX
02-16-2009, 12:40 PM

LOL, did it need to be?

Texan_Bill
02-16-2009, 12:41 PM
LOL, did it need to be?

Not really. Especially since I think you and I have the same take.

Second Honeymoon
02-16-2009, 12:43 PM

yeah, because smoking weed is soooooooooo horrible. why not just give him the death penalty and put him in front of a firing squad. after all, he deserves it because he smoked a joint.

InterestedJeff
02-16-2009, 12:45 PM
Only if the Mexican drug dealers can give him some good stuff.... so I'd say yes.

bad news... Mexican drug dealers dont have good stuff!

I'm sure Ricky can find his way to the chronic here in Houston.

I think he'd be great here!

mike moffat
02-16-2009, 10:26 PM

I have to agree there, but, he's had more than his fair share of chances. Including being "Banned for life". Which doesn't mean squat.

leebigeztx
02-16-2009, 10:49 PM
I'm almost certain the dolphinns gave him a 1 yr exxtension mid season.

SteveSlaton20
02-17-2009, 12:32 AM

He's probably an aggy.

Hottoddie
02-17-2009, 02:01 AM
Why?

Sure he's under contract but the question seems to me to be "Would you take a chance on him as Slaton's backup" and that doesn't change. It's a topic of conversation. What would you do if you heard that the Texans gave a 5th for Ricky? Would you be good with that or would you think it was a waste of a 5th round pick?

It's the off season and there's little enough to talk about until we start getting free agency rolling and the combine gets here. Speculative threads don't need to be deleted. They sink or swim on their own merits and if people aren't interested in talking about their subject then they drop to the bottom of the bowl like all the other fecal matter.

On the other hand even a post like "Mods, please delete this thread" puts it right back on top of the pile.

Well, since you put it that way, never mind. :D

ObsiWan
02-17-2009, 03:41 AM
Fred Taylor is expected to be released by the Jags today. Any takers?

Actually, I'm more interested in CB/Chris McAllister's release from the Ravens....
the man got kicked to the curb after getting hurt last season. he only played six games before the injury but still managed to get 3 picks... how many of our DBs had 3 picks last year? now there's someone I'd pick up on the cheap for sure.

HOU-TEX
02-17-2009, 09:54 AM
He's probably an aggy.

You just quoted an Aggie, Einstein.

Personally, once a player is drafted in to the NFL their College background means little to me.

InterestedJeff
02-17-2009, 10:50 AM
The only real issue I have with Ricky is that when he was blazing up in Miami he decided a few days before training camp that he didnt want to play football anymore. He left his team, which was suposed to make a strong playoff push that season, out to dry. I understand getting tired of something and wanting to go a different direction in life. Its harder to forgive selling your teammates out.

I loved Ricky Williams at Texas and loved watching him in New Orleans and Miami. Its nice to see him back and playing fairly well but I dont know if I'll ever be able to not think of quiter when I hear the name Ricky Williams.

Mailman
02-17-2009, 11:14 AM
The only really issue I have with Ricky is that when he was blazing up in Miami he decided a few days before training camp that he didnt want to play football anymore. He left his team, which was suposed to make a strong playoff push that season, out to dry. I understand getting tired of something and wanting to go a different direction in life. Its harder to forgive selling your teammates out.

I think Ricky loves football (and the money, of course) but doesn't have the personality to cope with the spotlight. He's probably happy now in Miami because he doesn't have to be the star attraction any longer.

Mailman
02-17-2009, 01:26 PM
Rather than starting a new thread, I'll be the first to ask:

Deuce McAllister. Would you? Could you?

I would.

TimeKiller
02-17-2009, 01:42 PM
Uh, I chunk a duece at your suggestion Mailman. No way.

InterestedJeff
02-18-2009, 10:27 AM
Rather than starting a new thread, I'll be the first to ask:

Deuce McAllister. Would you? Could you?

I would.

for the right price and a short term contract I'd go for it. Wouldnt mind taking a look at former Ravens CB Chris McAllister either.

Brandon420tx
02-18-2009, 11:34 AM
To be honest, I'm not interested in Chris McAllister or Duece

Errant Hothy
02-18-2009, 12:11 PM
Since Ricky Williams is under contrat why not discuss another UT running back on his second chance.

Any takers for one Cedric Benson?

Polo
02-18-2009, 12:13 PM
The only way I'm picking up any of these guys is for the chance to play. I wouldn't sign any of these guys as basically or definitive #2 RB.

LSUtexan
02-18-2009, 03:14 PM
Austin = Good Bud
New Orleans = Horribly Bad Bud
Miami = Cocaine
Houston = Excellent Bud

We have the sticky-icky in H-Town. Ricky Williams would love it here and I think he'd dominate as a backup.

TexansFan33
02-18-2009, 03:39 PM
Lets jus give Ricky a pound and tell him thats his bonus!

El Tejano
02-18-2009, 03:40 PM
Since Ricky Williams is under contrat why not discuss another UT running back on his second chance.

Any takers for one Cedric Benson?

Sure, why not?

Texecutioner
02-18-2009, 03:50 PM
I was very vocal about NOT wanting BEnson last season.

I think that he showed a little more strength in his step though with the Bengals. I wouldn't mind bringing him in here to pound the ball now, but only if it is for the right price because no way would I want to take a gamble on him with a lot of money. If he screws up he'd be gone for several games, and he has always had a lazy attitude.

I think that he;ll get a pretty good contract from the Bengals any way and we'd have to pay to much money and the risk wouldn't be worth it.

TexansFan33
02-18-2009, 03:51 PM
Ced B could come back home to Texas i'm down for that.

Polo
02-18-2009, 03:53 PM
Maybe we could get Cedric and Ricky. :hides:

SteveSlaton20
02-18-2009, 05:07 PM
Maybe we could get Cedric and Ricky. :hides:

not a problem

Big Poundcake
02-21-2009, 01:29 AM
I don't think Ricky is a Free Agent, but if he turned out to be or got cut or something , then YES the Texans should bring him in. He is a one cut type of RB. He is old for a RB, but he has some solid tread left on his tires and would be a GREAT fit for the Texans offense.