PDA

View Full Version : Jacques Reeves: Could he play FS?

Hottoddie
02-15-2009, 04:01 PM
I ask this question, because we need a ball hawking FS. Someone posted on this board several months ago that Reeves was a very good cover guy for the first 10-15 yards, but sucked once the play got 20+ yards down the field. The point the poster was making was that as long as Reeves stayed squared up on the play & kept the action in front of him, he was very effective.

After reading that assessment, I started paying more attention to when Reeves lost control of the play & he was right. When Reeves keeps the play in front of him, he's tough to beat. He's a sure handed tackler, has a good eye for the ball, good closing burst, & no one can question his speed. However, once the receiver gets down field, all bets are off.

So, that brings me back to the original question. Could Reeves play FS?

At FS, he'd have the play in front of him everytime & with his speed, it'd be hard to get past him. Is this an option, or have I overdosed on the hot wings again? :D

Ckw
02-15-2009, 04:07 PM
I ask this question, because we need a ball hawking FS. Someone posted on this board several months ago that Reeves was a very good cover guy for the first 10-15 yards, but sucked once the play got 20+ yards down the field. The point the poster was making was that as long as Reeves stayed squared up on the play & kept the action in front of him, he was very effective.

After reading that assessment, I started paying more attention to when Reeves lost control of the play & he was right. When Reeves keeps the play in front of him, he's tough to beat. He's a sure handed tackler, has a good eye for the ball, good closing burst, & no one can question his speed. However, once the receiver gets down field, all bets are off.

So, that brings me back to the original question. Could Reeves play FS?

At FS, he'd have the play in front of him everytime & with his speed, it'd be hard to get past him. Is this an option, or have I overdosed on the hot wings again? :D

You make an interesting case. I just don't think he is a good enough tackler to be the last line of defense so we already have someone like that in Eugene Wilson.

TimeKiller
02-15-2009, 04:57 PM
If we're looking to move a corner to FS I think I would try Molden first. Seems like a raw physical talent, always making plays on special teams. His size and speed would be a plus. He's not really entrenched as a corner either, at least not as much as Reeves.

BigBull17
02-15-2009, 04:59 PM
If we're looking to move a corner to FS I think I would try Molden first. Seems like a raw physical talent, always making plays on special teams. His size and speed would be a plus. He's not really entrenched as a corner either, at least not as much as Reeves.

Or Fred Bennett. He was thought to be a FS when he was drafted.

ObsiWan
02-15-2009, 05:06 PM
Nope for two reasons:
(1) Like Ckw said; he's not a sure enough tackler to be our last line of defense.
(2) If he can't find the ball at CB, what will make him develop that skill enough to find the ball at FS??

Goldensilence
02-15-2009, 05:20 PM
Another lets turn X CB into a FS thread. Shoot me.

I hope this staff is into the novel idea of drafting or signing an actual FS and....having him play FS. Safety play was something that completely eldued Richard Smith with his right side/ left side ideas instead of a defense that has a true FS and SS with fairly dicated roles. What we got was a mixed pot of safeties more suited to play SS.

Weak as our CB unit looks imagine if Dunta walks and we don't grab a CB high in the draft. Could you imagine further weakening the spot by taking Reeves and trying to have him transition to FS? How that would play on the entire secondary?

No thanks.

RipTraxx
02-15-2009, 05:45 PM
Is this assuming we dont have Eugene Wilson this year?

PHAROAH
02-15-2009, 09:11 PM
Horrible idea just draft a safety or sign a good one in free agency.

Hottoddie
02-15-2009, 09:19 PM
Weak as our CB unit looks imagine if Dunta walks and we don't grab a CB high in the draft. Could you imagine further weakening the spot by taking Reeves and trying to have him transition to FS? How that would play on the entire secondary?

As far as I'm concerned, Dunta will not leave the Texans. The front office will get him resigned. So, I'm making 2 assumptions.

1) Dunta will resign.
2) Bennett/Molden nail down the other starting CB position, or we sign someone like Bryant McFadden or Kelvin Hayden in free agency.

Hottoddie
02-15-2009, 09:29 PM
Horrible idea just draft a safety or sign a good one in free agency.

Perhaps you're right. I was just throwing out an idea that I felt would better utilize his strengths while improving the team.

Ole Miss Texan
02-16-2009, 08:58 AM
Interesting thought. I've actually been somewhat impressed with Reeves unlike most posters. He does a great job of blanketing the wr and has the speed to stay with them. The only thing that gets me is that on deep patterns, he doesn't locate the ball. Even though he's got the wr covered, they still make the catch. I think if he can correct this (new secondary coach Gibbs?) than he can be a GREAT cb.

However, like you've said he does do a good job when the play is infront of him. I agree with some other posters that i'm not confident in his tacklling to have him at fs for long. With all that combined, it looks like he could be a good slot cb.

If Dunta can regain form and lock down a starter spot, Bennett can develop more and get out of his sophomore slump and get the other starter spot, then Reeves could slide into the slot and I'd feel better about our cbs. There's a lot of if's still out there, though.

HJam72
02-16-2009, 09:02 AM
If it was me, I'd stick him back there in practice and see if he can really hit somebody a few times when he gets the chance. Just make sure he's wearing pads, lol.

Hagar
02-16-2009, 05:21 PM
Is this assuming we dont have Eugene Wilson this year?If I'm not mistaken, Wilson is better at SS then FS. We have a ton of SS, and no one at FS.

Been our problem for years.

Polo
02-16-2009, 05:24 PM
Jaque Reeves doesn't handle contact well.

He needs to work on being a better corner before trying to play FS.

ArlingtonTexan
02-16-2009, 05:33 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Wilson is better at SS then FS. We have a ton of SS, and no one at FS.

Been our problem for years.

Wilson is better at FS, he is in fact a guy who played a lot of corner in college and some in the pros before moving to FS as OP suggests for Reeves. Honestly, probably best as 5th/6th DB, but as FS he is acceptable (but replaceable) and better than most of what we have done over time.

Mr teX
02-16-2009, 06:14 PM
Uhh..have u seen him hit? That should answer your question right there. But just in case it doesn't, amidst range & solid tackling, the #1 thing u want from a FS is ball skills like Polamalu, Reed, Griffin etc. that's the very thing that he lacks as a CB at the moment.

utahmark
02-17-2009, 01:18 AM
Uhh..have u seen him hit? That should answer your question right there. But just in case it doesn't, amidst range & solid tackling, the #1 thing u want from a FS is ball skills like Polamalu, Reed, Griffin etc. that's the very thing that he lacks as a CB at the moment.

there is a difference between having your back to the ball and trying to make a play on it or facing the play and having everything happen in front of you. just cause you cant do one doesnt mean you cant do the other.

doesnt matter though............. he cant hit!

LORK 88
02-17-2009, 01:49 AM
Honestly, I think we're fine at FS if we re-sign Wilson. It's a position we could upgrade in FA/the draft if need be, but if he comes back I think it gets bumped down on the needs list a fair amount. His INT against Cincy was the first time in a real long time I saw a safety make a great play on a deep ball. I think we need an athletic, talented SS more than anything. I doubt we woo any young, talented SS in free agency, so I expect us to draft one in the top 3 rounds.

mexican_texan
02-17-2009, 01:51 AM
I have the Bears game DVR'd, so I'll go back and check, but Dominique Barber didn't look too bad. He wasn't scared like Brandon Harrison and rushed the QB well for a DB.

Polo
02-17-2009, 09:24 AM

That was my thought as well. I don't know about how much of an adjustment it would be for him mentally, but I don't think it'd be much. But I think the Texans feel like if he becomes a starting corner his value there would have more of an impact for the team. Big, fast, physical corners that can cover and tackle don't come around too often. Physically he has the potential to not just be the best corner on the team, but one of the top corners in the leauge. I think that if he struggles playing corner they may try him as a safety.

Mr teX
02-17-2009, 10:05 AM
there is a difference between having your back to the ball and trying to make a play on it or facing the play and having everything happen in front of you. just cause you cant do one doesnt mean you cant do the other.

doesnt matter though............. he cant hit!

FS's these days have to turn & run back to get over the top of a deep pass quite often actually. It's the by product of bigger faster stronger athletes as well as the innovative spread offenses that utilize the hybrid TE's to keep the safety honest & in the middle of the field. Even the best in the game have to do it frequently & he would assuredly have to do it..... & probably more b/c Reed, Polamalu & Dawkins play on defenses that get to the Qb very well. Us on the other hand......

drewmar74
02-17-2009, 10:59 AM
McClain's speculation is that Wilson will be back at FS and Ferguson at SS.

They want to re-sign Wilson. He'll be the starting FS. I think they want to re-sign Ferguson. He was the starting SS.

Per his latest chat. Your mileage may vary....

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2009/02/join_the_monday_nfl_combine_ch.html#comments

mexican_texan
02-18-2009, 12:42 AM
McClain has zero credibility. Everything he "reports" is based on opinion. Kubiak doesn't like him much, so McClain probably isn't getting too much inside information these days.

infantrycak
02-18-2009, 12:46 AM
Maybe we should start a list of CB's who nobody would want to move to safety--it would be much shorter.

I can think of one. I don't remember anyone talking about Glenn moving to safety.

mexican_texan
02-18-2009, 12:53 AM
The genius mastermind of olde moved Coleman to FS. Can't say he wouldn't have moved Glenn to safety if he had the chance.

TimeKiller
02-18-2009, 08:21 AM
That was my thought as well. I don't know about how much of an adjustment it would be for him mentally, but I don't think it'd be much. But I think the Texans feel like if he becomes a starting corner his value there would have more of an impact for the team. Big, fast, physical corners that can cover and tackle don't come around too often. Physically he has the potential to not just be the best corner on the team, but one of the top corners in the leauge. I think that if he struggles playing corner they may try him as a safety.

It just doesn't look like he'll be getting a shot to play CB unless injuries devastate the secondary. Especially if Dunta resigns, Reeves got a big enough contract to play, Bennett hasn't really done anything to lose his job...

threetoedpete
02-18-2009, 11:44 AM
Nope for two reasons:
(1) Like Ckw said; he's not a sure enough tackler to be our last line of defense.
(2) If he can't find the ball at CB, what will make him develop that skill enough to find the ball at FS??

His problem with finding the ball is when he is in off coverage, he has no instinct when the ball is coming in and look for it. However, in press coverage, when he is facing up the QB and reading....he can make plays on the ball. My solution would be to play a heck of a lot more press than tampa two. What we're going to find out this fall is whether the interchangeable Safetys philosophy came from Richard Smith or Gary Kubiack.

Polo
02-18-2009, 11:55 AM
It just doesn't look like he'll be getting a shot to play CB unless injuries devastate the secondary. Especially if Dunta resigns, Reeves got a big enough contract to play, Bennett hasn't really done anything to lose his job...

Well Kubiak said that Molden was about to start playing a lot more snaps @ CB towards the end of the season before he got hurt...

Tis true that there are players in front of him, but wh in front of him would you say has their position locked down? Dunta hasn't resigned, and Bennet and Reeves haven't proved anything...

I dunno, but we'll see...

Big Poundcake
02-21-2009, 01:29 AM
No......I don't think Reeves could play FS.

CloakNNNdagger
02-21-2009, 07:33 PM
If we try moving Reeves to free safety, we could find ourselves playing safety-free. :thinking:

Big Lou
03-09-2009, 11:21 PM
I think Bennet would make a better Safety than Reeves. He seems to tackle better in space and is the heaviest Cb on the Team.

If we drafted a CB in the 1st because they were the best player available, I wonder if Bennet could in fact move to Safety to get him on the field. If we had Dunta, and a 1st rounder talent this year on the other side, plus Wilson and possibly Bennet (if he could do it) that would be a pretty good secondary.

dalemurphy
03-09-2009, 11:25 PM
The guy is Helen Keller with speed. The last thing you want to do is put him in a spot to have to rely more on what he sees and his instincts.

Big Lou
03-09-2009, 11:42 PM
The guy is Helen Keller with speed. The last thing you want to do is put him in a spot to have to rely more on what he sees and his instincts.

Your talking about Reeves right?

I wanted to talk about Bennet at Safety, but I didn't want to start a whole new thread and piss everybody off.

dalemurphy
03-09-2009, 11:44 PM
Your talking about Reeves right?

I wanted to talk about Bennet at Safety, but I didn't want to start a whole new thread and piss everybody off.

Yes, I was talking about Reeves. I wouldn't want Bennett at safety either though. He's our only CB with length. I think that gives him added value on the outside. Also, I think he's a willing but very sloppy tackler. I see him diving at feet with his head down a lot.