PDA

View Full Version : Richard Smith-LB coach for Panthers

Wolf
02-12-2009, 12:31 AM
Charlotte, NC -- The Carolina Panthers have hired Richard Smith as linebackers coach and Ron Milus to work with the secondary.

Smith had been defensive coordinator with the Houston Texans the past three seasons and held the same job with the Miami Dolphins in 2005. His hiring Tuesday fills the hole created when Ken Flajole resigned to become defensive coordinator of the St. Louis Rams.

http://www.digtriad.com/sports/article.aspx?storyid=119085&catid=13

Hell I could have saved the Panther's some money
and just gave them this website
http://www.footballtimes.org/Article.asp?ID=155

DBCooper
02-12-2009, 12:32 PM
hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

First the gloved one and now "Kitty-cat" Smith.

Ole Miss Texan
02-12-2009, 12:39 PM
It is part of the Peppers trade.

In all seriousness, I'm glad the guy found a job. I just wished he went to an AFC team. :thinking: ... :spit:

WolverineFan
02-12-2009, 01:04 PM
It is part of the Peppers trade.

In all seriousness, I'm glad the guy found a job. I just wished he went to an AFC team. :thinking: ... :spit:

I just wish he was a D-coordinator somewhere else. With our #3 offense can you imagine what we would do to one of his defenses. I've always been curious about what would happen.

TimeKiller
02-12-2009, 01:07 PM
I just wish he was a D-coordinator somewhere else. With our #3 offense can you imagine what we would do to one of his defenses. I've always been curious about what would happen.

Should've gone to a practice....

I imagine the O put a bloodbath or two on the D during the course of the season...

Mr teX
02-12-2009, 02:10 PM
found this quote on a Panther messageboard amusing:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pedigrees are for dogs not football coaches. Some of the guys with the best pedigrees don't work out. Other guys like Belicheck, for example, fail at one system and succeed at another. Other guys have great success in one setting but struggle somewhere else or at a different level.

It is about the system, personnel, administrative support, environment, philosophy and a number of other factors. What a guy did for the Gianta few years ago or did for the Houston Texans last year doesn't necessarily equate to what they can do here.

As for Smith,of course, he would want to coach here. Look at what he has to work with. And our DB coach will get a lot of help from Meeks. Both guys are solid veterans and I expect will do fine. I found it interesting that Smith wanted to simplify the defense which is what we tried to do as well after Trgo made it so complicated. Seems we may be going to a "do fewer things but do them very well" approach next year.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Simple huh? You have no idea how simple Richie can be...

gtexan02
02-12-2009, 03:09 PM
He may do very well as a positions coach. Who knows. He isn't calling plays, so I doubt Carolina will see much change

4Texans
02-12-2009, 03:48 PM
Do you think he may slow the LB's down so they can "Read and Re-act"?

Ole Miss Texan
02-12-2009, 05:05 PM
I hope Frank Bush just tells our defense, "Guys, just go play." If that's all our new DC does, I'll be happy.