PDA

View Full Version : FO:Four Downs: Texans

Wolf
02-11-2009, 10:45 PM
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/four-downs/2009/four-downs-afc-south

Why can't the Texans turn stats into wins?

Statistically speaking, few teams produced more empty calories in 2008 than the Texans. Gary Kubiak's team finished third in total yards gained (6,113) but 17th in points scored (366). When you factor in the defense, the team finished eighth in yardage differential (plus-728) but 21st in point differential (minus-28). The Texans amassed 340 first downs to the 300 they allowed, and it wasn't as if their quarterbacks were losing it in the red zone -- combined, Matt Schaub and Sage Rosenfels threw 15 of their 21 touchdowns and only four of their 20 interceptions inside the opposing 20-yard line.

So, why the discrepancy? Turnovers in fact did kill them -- the Texans finished 29th in turnover differential (minus-10), and the quarterbacks lost six fumbles. They finished 11th in offensive DVOA, which tells us that all that sound and fury signified less than it should have. And despite those positive stats from Schaub and Rosenfels, the overall body of work was less than spectacular -- the Texans ranked 24th in red zone passing DVOA and 27th in offensive red zone DVOA overall. In fact, the closer Houston got to the opposing goal line, the worse its offense looked:

Who Could Leave?

Who Could They Sign?

El Tejano
02-12-2009, 08:23 AM
TO killed us and it shows. We got to get better at it this season, not to mention get the ball back ourselves.

TimeKiller
02-12-2009, 08:40 AM
Yea, getting a few of those TOs back would've been nice, like when JReeves jumped a Garrard pass 1 play after an int. The MNF game if I'm not mistaken...

HOU-TEX
02-12-2009, 08:46 AM
Turnovers did hurt our offense in a bad way last season, but I don't think they're the primary cause of our red zone failures. I think it had more to do with our inability to pound the football. We all know Slaton's going to be a very good RB, but at the same time I think most will agree that he can't pound the ball when the field becomes compact.

The C and G positions had a lot to do with this too. Myers was often over-powered and Brisiel either missed blocks or missed his assignment all together.

I expect this part of the O will get better this season. Even if a C/G isn't had this off-season our existing line should only get better after a complete season working together. I fully expect a complimentary RB to be drafted or picked up via FA.

:texflag:

Goldensilence
02-12-2009, 12:34 PM
Turnovers did hurt our offense in a bad way last season, but I don't think they're the primary cause of our red zone failures. I think it had more to do with our inability to pound the football. We all know Slaton's going to be a very good RB, but at the same time I think most will agree that he can't pound the ball when the field becomes compact.

The C and G positions had a lot to do with this too. Myers was often over-powered and Brisiel either missed blocks or missed his assignment all together.

I expect this part of the O will get better this season. Even if a C/G isn't had this off-season our existing line should only get better after a complete season working together. I fully expect a complimentary RB to be drafted or picked up via FA.

:texflag:

Pretty much sums it up. Myers and Brisiel were fine in between the 20's but when it came to red zone play the struggled to hold the point of attack. Plenty of Red Zone opportunities we just couldn't get in the end zone and had to settle for FGs.

IMO we should've run more stretch plays to the left where Pitts and Brown are good in Run blocking. OD is improving his blocking as well and Walter and Johnson are good in blocking as well.