PDA

View Full Version : peppers could we get mabye...

HouSportsWriter
02-11-2009, 06:16 PM
You’ve probably already seen this article
from http://www.houstondiehards.com/?p=2959

“Of course, the Panthers would have the option to accept or decline any trade offer Carey brings to the table, and it’s unlikely if this were to come to fruition that he’d go anywhere in the NFC South. peppers seems to like the Houston area, so the Texans are certainly an option. Imagine Peppers playing opposite former North Carolina State star Mario Williams?”

That was written for a website called CarolinaGrowl.com, by a writer named Steve Reed. He also writes for the Gaston Gazette.

… and a further explanation of the Houston connection
I e-mailed Steve and asked him to expand on the above excerpt… I wanted to know more about Reed’s statement “Peppers seems to like the Houston area.”

I received a response which I have posted below in its entirety:

“Hey Chris:
I can tell you that he hangs out there in the off-season quite a bit,
he has friends there and his agent lives there, too. He can kind of get
lost in Houston whereas he can’t here in Charlotte as everybody recognizes
him. Hope that helps. -Steve”

and the reson i think

we saved 4m from green and 4.5m from green wood total 8.5m plus we got the rest of the salery cap

we would have to give 1st round pick and some money but
we saved 4m from green and 4.5m from green wood total 8.5m plus we got the rest of the salery cap

soooo.... can we ??????

enter your taughts in the pole

GuerillaBlack
02-11-2009, 06:18 PM
No.

Thorn
I still say it's a wonderful idea that won't ever happen.

PapaL
What's a maby?

b0ng
No we will not pursue Julius Peppers. He will want too much money, and if he is franchised by the Panthers, giving up draft picks would be even worse.

Thorn
What's a maby?

A Martian baby.

HouSportsWriter
02-11-2009, 06:20 PM
wow that was fast

just got done editing and thx for the ancers that makes me sad =[

DiehardChris
02-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Even I - who wrote the article linked above - don't think there's a snowball's chance we'll sign him. I was just putting it out there that he has Houston ties. You have to think about the INCREDIBLE amount of money we would have to tie up in the two DE positions between Peppers and Mario's upcoming extension/new deal that he'll get in a couple of years. It's just too much.

Plus - we don't even NEED an elite pass rusher on the other side. We just need a solid-to-very good one. I think we've lost sight of that because of how bad Anthony Weaver has been getting to the QB.

Big Lou
02-11-2009, 06:22 PM
You’ve probably already seen this article
from http://www.houstondiehards.com/?p=2959

“Of course, the Panthers would have the option to accept or decline any trade offer Carey brings to the table, and it’s unlikely if this were to come to fruition that he’d go anywhere in the NFC South. peppers seems to like the Houston area, so the Texans are certainly an option. Imagine Peppers playing opposite former North Carolina State star Mario Williams?”

That was written for a website called CarolinaGrowl.com, by a writer named Steve Reed. He also writes for the Gaston Gazette.

… and a further explanation of the Houston connection
I e-mailed Steve and asked him to expand on the above excerpt… I wanted to know more about Reed’s statement “Peppers seems to like the Houston area.”

I received a response which I have posted below in its entirety:

“Hey Chris:
I can tell you that he hangs out there in the off-season quite a bit,
he has friends there and his agent lives there, too. He can kind of get
lost in Houston whereas he can’t here in Charlotte as everybody recognizes
him. Hope that helps. -Steve”

and the reson i think

we would have to give 1st round pick and some money but

soooo.... can we ??????

Why a first round pick? From what I can find he's an Unrestricted Free Agent.

Errant Hothy
02-11-2009, 06:24 PM
Why a first round pick? From what I can find he's an Unrestricted Free Agent.

If he gets Franchised or a sign and trade.

Texan_Bill
02-11-2009, 06:49 PM
No, not get maby peppers could.

A Martian baby.

Repped Thorn for his answer as to what a Maby was.

Allstar
02-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Even I - who wrote the article linked above - don't think there's a snowball's chance we'll sign him. I was just putting it out there that he has Houston ties. You have to think about the INCREDIBLE amount of money we would have to tie up in the two DE positions between Peppers and Mario's upcoming extension/new deal that he'll get in a couple of years. It's just too much.

Plus - we don't even NEED an elite pass rusher on the other side. We just need a solid-to-very good one. I think we've lost sight of that because of how bad Anthony Weaver has been getting to the QB.

This made me lol.

MeLoveTexans
02-11-2009, 07:30 PM
why does the title of this thread make me think Yoda is a Texans fan?

"To Houston Peppers could come!"

"Win superbowl Texans maybe could!"

gtexan02
02-11-2009, 07:30 PM
Do I think we can get him? Yes. Do I think we will? I give it about a 15% chance at best.

DoCRoN
02-11-2009, 08:57 PM

WTF? :goodpost:

imatexan
02-11-2009, 09:10 PM
:spit:

PHAROAH
02-11-2009, 09:22 PM
To get that type of impact player I would say do it but will it probably not.

superdave532
02-11-2009, 10:14 PM

This is a really good point that I think a lot of people on this board (including myself) tend to forget sometimes. Mario is one of the best in the game, maybe the best in the next couple years. He's going to get one hell of an extension when his original contract is up, and while Peppers with Mario has Madden implications that I cannot even begin to imagine.. the team as a whole will be better off if we spend that money on complimentary players.

A guy can dream though, right? :)

buddyboy
02-12-2009, 09:41 AM
When I first saw this I thought he was referring to "Maybin"

HOU-TEX
02-12-2009, 09:58 AM
This is going to be just like the past couple years. Everybody's ranting and raving about wanting certain big name FA's. Then come the first week or two of March people are going to be asking why aren't we going after any good FA's? Why aren't we bringing anybody in to look at?

LOL! If I knew how to work the search option worth a crap I'd dig a couple threads up for fun.

Eh, I know it's a MB and all that jazz. I just think it's kinda funny. Peppers.....LOL.

HoustonFrog
02-12-2009, 10:01 AM
I know this sounds crazy but I don't want the guy. Well I want the Julius Peppers that can be the game changer but for some reason I can see the Texans spending alot of money on him and then him having that knee from 2007 act up and having alot of articles about how he is declining. That sounds nuts but that is what is going through my head and is my premonition.

Polo
02-12-2009, 10:07 AM
It's cuz you're a cowboy fan ;)

Dread-Head
02-12-2009, 10:15 AM
If not, our cousin Ira in the Catskills we can vist. He's the one married to the skinny shiksa. The mouth on that one. Swears like a longshoreman she does. Peppers? Fah! It's a saftey we need. What are you messhga? These kids toady. Oy.

Yankee_In_TX
02-12-2009, 11:02 AM
I'm not sure why - I think players like Houston (despite the media describing us like Oakland or Detroit).

Suggs was on NFLN this morning - they asked his favorite away game town. He said Houston. He said he loves the city, the food, and was going to say more but they cut him off :)

Yankee_In_TX
02-12-2009, 11:03 AM
I know this sounds crazy but I don't want the guy. Well I want the Julius Peppers that can be the game changer but for some reason I can see the Texans spending alot of money on him and then him having that knee from 2007 act up and having alot of articles about how he is declining. That sounds nuts but that is what is going through my head and is my premonition.

Now WHY oh WHY would you POSSIBLY think that would happen with the Texans?

Specnatz
02-12-2009, 11:29 AM
Did JohnsonFan come back under a new name? :mcnugget:

Hervoyel
02-12-2009, 11:32 AM
I still say it's a wonderful idea that won't ever happen.

Exactly. Of course we can.... but we won't.

Ole Miss Texan
02-12-2009, 11:54 AM
Here's a comparison of the Vikings defensive stats 2008 vs. 2007. Allen joined the team for the 2008 season thus was not a part of the team in 2007. Obviously there were probably more changes to the defense than just Allen, but heck I'm too lazy and not smart enough to do a more detailed comparison:) Plus he was the big marquee signing and didn't they give up two 1st round picks?

Vikings Defense (2008 / 2007):
Total Defense: 6th, 292.4 yds per game / 20th, 338.1 yrds per game

Rushing Defense (per rush): T-1st, 3.3 yds / 2nd, 3.1 yds
Rushing Defense (per game): 1st, 76.9 yds / 1st, 74.1 yds
Rushing TDs allowed: T-6th, 10 / T-3rd, 7

Passing Defense (per pass): 21st, 7.1 yds / 16th, 7.0 yds
Passing Defense (per game): 18th, 215.6 yds / 32nd, 264.1 yds
Opponent QB Rating: 16th, 82.5 / 23rd, 86.3
Sacks: 4th, 45 / 8th, 38
Interceptions: T-21st, 12 / T-20th, 15
Passing TDs allowed: 5th, 15 / 15th, 22

Scoring Allowed: 13th, 20.8 pts per game / 12th, 19.4 pts per game
Defensive TDs Allowed: 25 / 29

It looks like the biggest difference in the year were the number of passes attempted against the Vikings. In 2007, the most passes in the league at 646 for the year. In 2008, this dropped considerably to 530 (11th). Rushing attempts for the year remained about the same (378 in '08 vs. 371 in '07)

gtexan02
02-12-2009, 11:59 AM
Here's a comparison of the Vikings defensive stats 2008 vs. 2007. Allen joined the team for the 2008 season thus was not a part of the team in 2007. Obviously there were probably more changes to the defense than just Allen, but heck I'm too lazy and not smart enough to do a more detailed comparison:) Plus he was the big marquee signing and didn't they give up two 1st round picks?

Vikings Defense (2008 / 2007):
Total Defense: 6th, 292.4 yds per game / 20th, 338.1 yrds per game

Rushing Defense (per rush): T-1st, 3.3 yds / 2nd, 3.1 yds
Rushing Defense (per game): 1st, 76.9 yds / 1st, 74.1 yds
Rushing TDs allowed: T-6th, 10 / T-3rd, 7

Passing Defense (per pass): 21st, 7.1 yds / 16th, 7.0 yds
Passing Defense (per game): 18th, 215.6 yds / 32nd, 264.1 yds
Opponent QB Rating: 16th, 82.5 / 23rd, 86.3
Sacks: 4th, 45 / 8th, 38
Interceptions: T-21st, 12 / T-20th, 15
Passing TDs allowed: 5th, 15 / 15th, 22

Scoring Allowed: 13th, 20.8 pts per game / 12th, 19.4 pts per game
Defensive TDs Allowed: 25 / 29

It looks like the biggest difference in the year were the number of passes attempted against the Vikings. In 2007, the most passes in the league at 646 for the year. In 2008, this dropped considerably to 530 (11th). Rushing attempts for the year remained about the same (378 in '08 vs. 371 in '07)

Good stuff

Do you have the numbers for 3rd down conversion %? I feel like a dominant pass rusher can really impact this stat

It would be pretty interesting to compare the Chiefs both before and after Allen too. They clearly missed his pass rush this season

Ole Miss Texan
02-12-2009, 12:00 PM
I don't know what those stats really tell us. I think it could be any number of things. Stats-wise there wasn't a whole lot of difference. The key to me was that there were less plays against the defense in '08 than in '07.

This could be because the defense was getting the opposing team off the field quicker, stopped them on 3rd downs more, or because the Vikings offense may have had the ball longer/more.

EDIT: I don't know about time of possession for their Offense (difference from 60 minutes would be opposing offense's).

2008: Vikings total offensive plays= 11th with 1,014
2007: Vikings total offensive plays= 30th with 964

So it looks to me the Vikings offense probably had the ball more in '08 than they did in '07 which means the opposing offense had less plays/time most likely thus that's why the Vikings gave up fewer yards on Defense. Pass and rush yards per play remained constant.

So was Jared Allen worth those draft picks and all that money???? Maybe. Maybe the Vikings would have been worse in '08 than they were in '07 if they didn't have Allen.

Just trying to correlate Allen to the Vikings with Peppers to the Texans in some way shape or form.

Ole Miss Texan
02-12-2009, 12:06 PM
Good stuff

Do you have the numbers for 3rd down conversion %? I feel like a dominant pass rusher can really impact this stat

It would be pretty interesting to compare the Chiefs both before and after Allen too. They clearly missed his pass rush this season

Good points, I'll try and look them up.

Kansas City 3rd down % (2007): 1st at 31%
Kasas City 3rd down % (2008): T-Last at 47%

Minnesota 3rd down % (2007): 18th at 40%
Minnesota 3rd down % (2008): 4th at 34%

Kansas City MISSED Jared Allen.

gtexan02
02-12-2009, 12:08 PM
It was actually a 1st, 2 3rds, and a 6th... still a lot of picks for one guy!

On April 22, 2008, the Chiefs traded Allen to the Minnesota Vikings. In exchange, the Vikings sent to the Chiefs a first round pick, which they used to select OT Branden Albert, and two third round picks and swapped sixth round picks in the 2008 NFL Draft.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jared_Allen

gtexan02
02-12-2009, 12:09 PM
Good points, I'll try and look them up.

Kansas City 3rd down % (2007): 1st at 31%
Kasas City 3rd down % (2008): Last at 47%

Minnesota 3rd down % (2007): 18th at 40%
Minnesota 3rd down % (2008): 4th at 34%

Whoa!! Thats an interesting number

Shaft75
02-12-2009, 12:30 PM
Really? How is anything seriously being discussed in the thread called: "peppers could we get mabye..."?

Ole Miss Texan
02-12-2009, 12:36 PM
Really? How is anything seriously being discussed in the thread called: "peppers could we get mabye..."?

Because mabye anything can serioulys be discussd.

gtexan02
02-12-2009, 12:42 PM

I was personally disappointed they didn't spell "Peppers" as "Peepers" because that could have opened up a whole new set of fun. :banana:

Tihs! is a 'foot', ball message? board. Whom_ cares" about -- grammar; at

(had to end with a preposition :))

Ole Miss Texan
02-12-2009, 12:46 PM
I was personally disappointed they didn't spell "Peppers" as "Peepers" because that could have opened up a whole new set of fun. :banana:

Tihs! is a 'foot', ball message? board. Whom_ cares" about -- grammar; at

(had to end with a preposition :))

What the hell is a preposition? lol

Texecutioner
02-12-2009, 12:47 PM
I don't know why there has been so many Peppers threads really. Just look back on our history as a franchise and the kinds of moves we make in the off season, and that should tell most people that we're not going to go after Peppers. The Texans will look for a DE in the draft most likely in the first round. Peppers would be a great addition, but unfortunately our management won't do this.

gtexan02
02-12-2009, 12:48 PM

"You should never end a sentence with a preposition at."

http://images.teamsugar.com/files/users/1/13839/15_2007/rok_119_05.jpg

gtexan02
02-12-2009, 12:49 PM
I don't know why there has been so many Peppers threads really. Just look back on our history as a franchise and the kinds of moves we make in the off season, and that should tell most people that we're not going to go after Peppers. The Texans will look for a DE in the draft most likely in the first round. Peppers would be a great addition, but unfortunately our management won't do this.

We've never been this "close" before. We've always needed mroe than 1 key player to push us over the top. Not now. And we've never had this much cap space before. Building through the draft alone can take years. Especially with a pass rusher. I'm ready to win the big game next year

WolverineFan
02-12-2009, 12:50 PM

I sadly agree. I think most Texans fans just want us to make a splash for once so that people actually talk about us. If you haven't noticed and I'm sure you have, we are rarely news outside of Houston. Our biggest stories on ESPN this entire season were the hurricane and the training camp debacle. If we grabbed a guy like Peppers we would not only improve our team, but actually be in the news for once.

Blake
02-12-2009, 12:52 PM

I was thinking the same thing. This thread acutally went over 1 page is amazing to me. So I will weigh in.

A DE's age should not be focused on as much as say a RB or WR because they use different atributes to do their job. I think Peppers would demand too much money to give us a good return on our investment.

Save the money and make sure you get Dunta and Daniels to long deals. And then focus on getting your draft class signed and then Ryans to a long term deal. Let the Panthers worry about finding the money to pay Peppers.

Texecutioner
02-12-2009, 12:54 PM
We've never been this "close" before. We've always needed mroe than 1 key player to push us over the top. Not now. And we've never had this much cap space before. Building through the draft alone can take years. Especially with a pass rusher. I'm ready to win the big game next year

Hey, I'd love to be optimistic that we would make a strong run at bringing him here, but we have never been an aggressive team at going after big time players like that. I'd love for the Texans to go after Peppers, but I just know they won't do it.

infantrycak
02-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Hey, I'd love to be optimistic that we would make a strong run at bringing him here, but we have never been an aggressive team at going after big time players like that. I'd love for the Texans to go after Peppers, but I just know they won't do it.

Well that observation needs to be tempered somewhat with the situation the Texans have been in cap wise. This is the first year they aren't sitting in a hole they dug themselves with bad contracts (Wade, Walker, DD, Weaver, Carr) looking out at free agency. I still don't see them signing a guy to what will be his "last contract."

WolverineFan
02-12-2009, 01:08 PM
Well that observation needs to be tempered somewhat with the situation the Texans have been in cap wise. This is the first year they aren't sitting in a hole they dug themselves with bad contracts (Wade, Walker, DD, Weaver, Carr) looking out at free agency. I still don't see them signing a guy to what will be his "last contract."

We've never gone after a big FA anyway. We always target the middling veterans that end up not contributing. I would like to add a big time free agent and then go straight to the draft. We don't need to be the Redskins or Raiders and just go FA crazy and sign everyone.

Texecutioner
02-12-2009, 01:12 PM

I think Peppers would be worth the risk though. He is a dynamic elite type of DE and playing along side of Mario I think he would be motivated to play really well for quite a few years. At what price tag? I don't know exactly what he is asking for, but Peppers and Mario could make our D line amazing. It's not like Peppers is real old. He isn't young, but if he doesn't have any really bad injuries he should be able to play a lot more years.

gtexan02
02-12-2009, 01:12 PM
We've never gone after a big FA anyway. We always target the middling veterans that end up not contributing. I would like to add a big time free agent and then go straight to the draft. We don't need to be the Redskins or Raiders and just go FA crazy and sign everyone.

We've targeted big name free agents in the past, you just don't remember it because we didn't actually get them here.

Orlando Pace was probably the most famous.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2005-03-14-texans-pace-trade_x.htm

We actually got Schaub, who was the biggest FA QB out there at the time

There have been plenty of rumors of other big name FAs too, just nothing much to show for it. We don't know if thats because of our FO or because the players weren't interested.

Its exactly like this situation. Peppers wants to play in a 3-4, so he probably wont even consider coming to Houston. Thats not our FOs fault, even though it will get filed into the "Texans never pursue any big FAs" file Im sure

The Pencil Neck
02-12-2009, 01:13 PM
I sadly agree. I think most Texans fans just want us to make a splash for once so that people actually talk about us. If you haven't noticed and I'm sure you have, we are rarely news outside of Houston. Our biggest stories on ESPN this entire season were the hurricane and the training camp debacle. If we grabbed a guy like Peppers we would not only improve our team, but actually be in the news for once.

I can vouch for this. Since I live outside the Houston area, I rarely get Texans news. When I come into town for a game, I'm always pleasantly surprised how much Texan stuff is on.

Polo
02-12-2009, 01:13 PM
We've targeted big name free agents in the past, you just don't remember it because we didn't actually get them here.

There have been plenty of rumors of other big name FAs too, just nothing much to show for it. We don't know if thats because of our FO or because the players weren't interested.

Its exactly like this situation. Peppers wants to play in a 3-4, so he probably wont even consider coming to Houston. Thats not our FOs fault, even though it will get filed into the "Texans never pursue any big FAs" file Im sure

Cap room has been a hinderance too as Icak stated.

Texecutioner
02-12-2009, 01:42 PM

We actually got Schaub, who was the biggest FA QB out there at the time

Yes, you're right about Pace and I thought about mentioning him but Pace was the only big name free agent that we ever made a real attempt to go after.

Ole Miss Texan
02-12-2009, 01:44 PM
So who are the players currently on the roster that need to be dealt with? This will be telling with how we go forward with "outside" free agents.

Demeco Ryans- extend contract
Owen Daniels- extend contract
Dunta Robinson- extend contract/franchise?
Nick Ferguson- re-sign
Eugene Wilson- re-sign

If Faggins isn't re-signed (which most would be fine with) and Dunta isn't franchised/extended... CB becomes a HUGE need. I suspect we'll do something with Dunta and he'll be on the team (that will be a decent amount to the Cap)... as will Ryans/Daniels.

I like having Ferguson and Wilson on the team. CC Brown may not make it back, apparently Barber is really liked. Losing Wilson and/or Ferguson may make our Safety position that much more vulnerable. Whats up with Demps?

Looks like a decent amount of the Cap we have to work with may be used to keep some of our current players.

I think we need to look at a SLB and a SS to add to our team, but those will most likely come 'fairly' cheap if we have any interest in Peppers.

If we give up our 1st round pick for Peppers and sign him, extend Demeco and Daniels, franchise Dunta, re-sign Ferguson and Wilson plus add a SLB like maybe Michael Boley? What will that do to our Cap room? guestimation...

If we do all that... let me rephrase that, if we CAN do all of that we'd fill most all our holes. Going into the draft we could strictly go BPA.

NT, LB depth, DB depth would be important. Giving up the 1st, we'd have a mid 2nd rounder. LB/DB would probably be where the most value would be at that spot. Although there could be some good WR/RBs there. I know how we all fell about those positions though (I'm strictly talking talent). Maybe a Center!?

So imagine this defense:
DE: Mario Williams and Julius Peppers
DT: Amobi Okoye and Travis Johnson? I think we have good depth/rotation but need a NT
LB: Adibi, Ryans, Diles/Boley
CB: Dunta, Reeves, Bennett, Molden
S: Wilson, Ferguson, Barber, Demps, Harrison

If we can do that in free agency, our 2nd round pick will be open that we could afford to take a RB and make an elite tandem. Maybe get a good C/G to make a push.

TexanBacker93
02-15-2009, 09:44 AM
He wants to play OLB in a 3-4. At least that's what the most recent info about his desire to leave Carolina states.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3907659

Somehow I don't think changing schemes again, paying big money to a free agent, and have him play a new position would be in the Texans best interest.

It would be a tremendous pass rush with Mario and Peppers if he wanted to play in a 4-3. Heck think of the food marketing alone..."Get your Mario Peppers while they're hot!!"

Mailman
02-15-2009, 10:39 AM
"I said things about wanting to play in a 3-4, and that’s still the case. But that doesn't necessarily mean I'm ruling out other teams that play a 4-3. I just want to have that option," Peppers said. "I feel in that particular system it would allow me to do things that playing a defensive end in a 4-3 system doesn't allow me to do.”

The system talk is overstated IMO. He just wants out of Carolina and he wants to get paid.

Dread-Head
02-15-2009, 12:20 PM

e.g. To, from, in, out, at...etc