PDA

View Full Version : Favre to retire...yet again

Errant Hothy
02-11-2009, 09:59 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3898942

Without the tearful public ceremony that accompanied his retirement announcement from the Green Bay Packers just 11 months ago, quarterback Brett Favre has instructed agent Bus Cook to inform the New York Jets Wednesday that he plans to retire.

Anybody beleive him?

gtexan02
02-11-2009, 10:01 AM

Anybody beleive him?

I do. His arm gave out on him this season and it wasn't nearly as fun as it was in GB.

He did a major disservice to his legacy by coming back for one more season. Now he leaves in shame, rather than with his head held high. He should have quit while he was ahead

Kaiser Toro
02-11-2009, 10:03 AM
Great QB, but an old man that consistently got tired at the end of the season and cost his team advancement.

TimeKiller
02-11-2009, 10:04 AM
Does anybody care?

Not even him, the glory-seeking, tear-jerk Brett Favre didn't suck up this opportunity of the sports world being in the midst of a slow spot to have a press conference about it. When the attention hog is tired of attention, it's a pretty clear sign.

GlassHalfFull
02-11-2009, 10:06 AM
:yawn:

mexican_texan
02-11-2009, 10:21 AM
I do. His arm gave out on him this season and it wasn't nearly as fun as it was in GB.

He did a major disservice to his legacy by coming back for one more season. Now he leaves in shame, rather than with his head held high. He should have quit while he was ahead
His arm gave out because he didn't do anything in the offseason. The older a player is, the more important it is for them to work hard in the offseason. Favre probably drank beer on a tractor.

Hervoyel
02-11-2009, 10:37 AM

Anybody beleive him?

I do. The loss of respect that his last retirement and subsequent un-retirement cost him was almost palpable. He went from "The Great Brett Favre" who it was un-American to question or disrespect to a guy who was openly mocked and ridiculed by fans, sportswriters, and even some of the general media. One more year like that and he'll erode all of the remaining positive vibe he has left.

It's not like he'll ever be in any danger of not getting in the HOF or anything like that. I'm not saying that at all. He's an automatice first-time on the ballot inductee. I'm just saying that his doing this crap another year could be the difference between future headlines like "Legendary Packers QB Brett Favre was voted into the HOF today" and "Legendary Packers QB Brett Favre who made an art out of retiring and then coming back was voted into the HOF today" and Favre knows this.

It's better to be known for the athletic accomplishments than the drama. Roger Clemens never got that and he became a bigger drama queen in his later years than he ever was a pitcher. Of course now he's a bigger lying cheater than he was a drama queen so what does that mean? Pitching is third on his list of known-for accomplishments?

Favre knows enough to quit before the world completely turns on him like it did Clemens. What was that line from "The Dark Knight" about how you either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become a villain? You could change that to "You either retire a hero or play long enough to see yourself become a villain".

Mr teX
02-11-2009, 10:41 AM
I believe him this time only b/c it seemed almost immediately after he signed with NY last year It looked like he realized he made a huge mistake. That & him realizing that he just doesn't have the gas at the end of the season anymore made the decision a bit easier this time around.

I would however suspect that a 1 day contract or something similar to what SF did with Jerry Rice would be in the works with GB just so he can retire a packer.

awtysst
02-11-2009, 10:43 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v181/bragin/DE/violin.jpg

El Tejano
02-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Green Bay made the right move.

TEXANS84
02-11-2009, 11:01 AM

Anybody beleive him?

I don't. If the Vikings show serious interest mid-season, I can see him coming back. I think he's still licking his chops to play against the Packers in Lambeau again.

HOU-TEX
02-11-2009, 11:22 AM
I don't. If the Vikings show serious interest mid-season, I can see him coming back. I think he's still licking his chops to play against the Packers in Lambeau again.

I'm under the impression he has to either retire or play for the Jets. Right? Didn't he sign like a 2 year deal with the Jets? It's the same scenerio he had with the Pack, but the Pack was able to work out a trade.

I might be wrong, of course. :)

TexanSam
02-11-2009, 11:23 AM
Green Bay should have signed him to one of those one day contracts so he could retire a Packer at least

ChampionTexan
02-11-2009, 11:26 AM
I'm under the impression he has to either retire or play for the Jets. Right? Didn't he sign like a 2 year deal with the Jets? It's the same scenerio he had with the Pack, but the Pack was able to work out a trade.

I might be wrong, of course. :)

Yeah, the Jets still hold his rights, and the only way he can play for another team is if the Jets trade those rights. The trade from the Packers included a poison pill provision that if the Jets trade him to an NFC North team, the Jets owe the Packers 3 first round picks.

I sincerely believe he will stay retired.

HOU-TEX
02-11-2009, 11:46 AM
Yeah, the Jets still hold his rights, and the only way he can play for another team is if the Jets trade those rights. The trade from the Packers included a poison pill provision that if the Jets trade him to an NFC North team, the Jets owe the Packers 3 first round picks.

I sincerely believe he will stay retired.

Right, I'd forgotten about the NFC North stipulation.

Yes, I definitely think he finally hangs'em up. At least he'd better. :cool:

drewmar74
02-11-2009, 12:16 PM
Green Bay should have signed him to one of those one day contracts so he could retire a Packer at least

Agreed.

As sick as I am of his "on again, off again" garbage, I'd hate to see him finally retire (for good) as anything other than a Packer. It's just not right.

WWJD
02-11-2009, 12:30 PM
I'll always have the same opinion about him...he was one of my all time favorite players to watch and follow and I think the league loses when he's gone. He's one of a kind!

Hervoyel
02-11-2009, 12:30 PM

If I were the Packers I'd never do that. Not ever. It would be a cold day in hell before I'd go through one of those symbolic gestures just to give Favre another chance to stand at a podium in Green Bay and talk about himself. I'd make sure he was always welcome and accord him all the respect he was due but that's one thing I would deny him until the day he dies. He insisted on being a Jet so they can throw him his ceremonial hand-job session (and that's all those things are).

infantrycak
02-11-2009, 12:49 PM
Right, I'd forgotten about the NFC North stipulation.

Yes, I definitely think he finally hangs'em up. At least he'd better. :cool:

While it looks like he is going to retire, there is a way around the stipulation. He is due to make $13 mil this year and the Jets seem ho-hum about his presence. He could ask for his release and the Jets might do it. Then if he signs with the Vikings the Jets owe no compensation to Green Bay because it isn't a trade.

HOU-TEX
02-11-2009, 12:56 PM
While it looks like he is going to retire, there is a way around the stipulation. He is due to make $13 mil this year and the Jets seem ho-hum about his presence. He could ask for his release and the Jets might do it. Then if he signs with the Vikings the Jets owe no compensation to Green Bay because it isn't a trade.

Now that would be very interesting to say the least. I wouldn't think an organization would do that to another, but who knows. To me, that'd be a knife in the back of the Packers from the hand of the Jets.

TimeKiller
02-11-2009, 01:56 PM
If I were the Packers I'd never do that. Not ever. It would be a cold day in hell before I'd go through one of those symbolic gestures just to give Favre another chance to stand at a podium in Green Bay and talk about himself. I'd make sure he was always welcome and accord him all the respect he was due but that's one thing I would deny him until the day he dies. He insisted on being a Jet so they can throw him his ceremonial hand-job session (and that's all those things are).

+1

A cold day in hell or a hot day in Green Bay. Packers did everything within reason to keep him around, even unreasonable things like if he would just retire for 10 mil.

Txn_in_Oki
02-11-2009, 03:11 PM

Totally with you on this. He made a complete spectacle of himself in GB over this. I think they gave him plenty of opportunities and he still decided to put himself over all others. Maybe down the line they retire his number but as for retiring as a Packer, no way should they give it to him.

Dread-Head
02-11-2009, 03:17 PM
I have a mental pic of Favre in a tuxedo saying "Hey Rocky...watch me pull a retirement out of my hat!"

b0ng
02-11-2009, 07:26 PM
Currently watching NFLn's montage of Brett Favre highlights while listening to the smooth voice of Billy Bob Thornton.

mexican_texan
02-11-2009, 11:38 PM
I really hope Favre is gone...I'm sick of watching Favre all over ESPN and the NFL Network. How many times do I have to hear about his pill addiction? How many times do I have to be reminded his first pass was to himself?

On that note, I wonder how we'll look back at this when it's all done. When I think of Favre, I no longer think of the talented QB, but the selfish player that held Green Bay hostage.

GP
02-11-2009, 11:56 PM
He messed up soooo badly by trying the comeback.

I mean, it was as big of a flop as a guy in his shoes could make. Period.

Can't hate on him too much, though: He won a ring, Pro Bowls, gonna' be a HOF'er. So...what are us keyboard warriors going to do about all that?

I, too, am just glad it's ended. That there is NO doubt that it's finished.

mexican_texan
02-11-2009, 11:59 PM
I thought he was done last year for sure. He didn't want to come back until right before the season. I think that's the worst part of what he did...the Packers spent a season saying farewell and getting Aaron Rodgers ready...then comes Favre after all the hard work in the offseason is done and says "I want to play." Then he says he wants to play for a division rival in the Vikings.

4Texans
02-12-2009, 09:25 AM
He has filed his retirement papers with the league this time.