PDA

View Full Version : [Speculation] Veteran RBs of interest by the Texans

Texans34Life
02-10-2009, 11:25 PM
http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=2&cid=838333&nid=3661728&fhn=1

The team is believed to be interested in signing a veteran back with size and could have interest in free agents such as Derrick Ward, Correll Buckhalter, or Michael Pittman.

Those are some good choices..... :)

Goldensilence
02-10-2009, 11:33 PM
http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=2&cid=838333&nid=3661728&fhn=1

The team is believed to be interested in signing a veteran back with size and could have interest in free agents such as Derrick Ward, Correll Buckhalter, or Michael Pittman.

Those are some good choices..... :)

Ward is the only one of real interest to me. Correll has been ok when he has been healthy but unfortunately that hasn't been often enough. Only way I'd be interested in Pittman if it's a real small one year deal. The guy is 33.

JayCee
02-10-2009, 11:40 PM
oh man, that would be fantastic if we signed Ward.

steelbtexan
02-11-2009, 12:09 AM
I would be OK with Pittman. He is a good short yardage goal line back.

I think we need to draft a young RB in rds 4-7 to go along with the veteran RB we pick up in FA.

If New England cuts Maroney we should look at picking him up. He played in the ZBS in college.

mexican_texan
02-11-2009, 01:08 AM
I've been calling for Buckhalter for years. I'd love to have him here.

El Tejano
02-11-2009, 09:42 AM
Is Aaron Stecker still available? I thought Deshaun Foster would be a nice fit too.

imatexan
02-11-2009, 01:02 PM
Who are these people!?

bah007
02-11-2009, 01:31 PM
I've been calling for Buckhalter for years. I'd love to have him here.

I believe Buckhalter has spent more games on the IR than on the field in his career.

Talented, but I'll pass.

mexican_texan
02-11-2009, 10:32 PM
I believe so, but he's been clean for 2 or 3 seasons. He was actually ahead of Brian Westbrook on the depth chart until Westbrook emerged after his injuries. I don't think he's had more injuries than Owen Daniels.

infantrycak
02-12-2009, 08:33 AM
I believe so, but he's been clean for 2 or 3 seasons. He was actually ahead of Brian Westbrook on the depth chart until Westbrook emerged after his injuries. I don't think he's had more injuries than Owen Daniels.

That's kind of like saying Andre Davis was ahead of AJ until he got over his injury in 2007. Buckhalter is 30 and has missed 3 full years out of an 8 year NFL career. OD missed two games his rookie year. Wouldn't mind Buckhalter as a complimentary back but I don't get those comparisons.

michaelm
02-12-2009, 11:17 PM
Ward was the number one RB on my wish list last sesaon when he was (I believe) an RFA. I'd still love to have the guy. Even more now, actually.

mexican_texan
02-12-2009, 11:47 PM
That's kind of like saying Andre Davis was ahead of AJ until he got over his injury in 2007. Buckhalter is 30 and has missed 3 full years out of an 8 year NFL career. OD missed two games his rookie year. Wouldn't mind Buckhalter as a complimentary back but I don't get those comparisons.
Westbrook was behind Buckhalter on the depth chart until Buckhalter was hurt all those years. He's been playing really well as a complimentary back. As far as the OD thing, he's torn his ACL twice. One of the concerns about him on draft day was that he was injury prone after hurting his knee multiple times. It's something that can be overcome. I'm not sure on the specifics of Buckhalter's injuries, but he looks plenty strong when he plays for the Eagles.

On that note, I can see Anthony Aldridge coming over here. I'm calling it right now.

DiehardChris
02-12-2009, 11:51 PM
On that note, I can see Anthony Aldridge coming over here. I'm calling it right now.

Redskins claimed him off waivers today. Damn.

mexican_texan
02-12-2009, 11:55 PM
Damn! But he's not expensive, overrated, or washed up...maybe it's a false report?

DiehardChris
02-13-2009, 12:22 AM
Damn! But he's not expensive, overrated, or washed up...maybe it's a false report?

LOL, unfortunately no. Apparently the Vikings also put a claim in on him, but the Redskins had the worse record. I assume since they reported that, they would have reported all the teams that put a claim in, so I guess Houston wasn't interested.

I wouldn't mind seeing him here. Ah well.

mexican_texan
02-13-2009, 12:26 AM
I'm not sure how waivers work, do the Redskins now move all the way to the bottom?

The Pencil Neck
02-13-2009, 01:05 AM
I'm not sure how waivers work, do the Redskins now move all the way to the bottom?

I don't think so. It's by the order of the records. I'm not sure about how they decide tie-breakers. Probably strength of schedule or something.

DiehardChris
02-13-2009, 01:20 AM
Yeah, they don't move. It stays in order of record.

mexican_texan
02-13-2009, 01:41 AM
LOL, unfortunately no. Apparently the Vikings also put a claim in on him, but the Redskins had the worse record. I assume since they reported that, they would have reported all the teams that put a claim in, so I guess Houston wasn't interested.

I wouldn't mind seeing him here. Ah well.
If we're going by draft order, the Washington Redskins have priority over us in waivers. I find it hard to believe we didn't make a claim for him, but then again, I was somewhat surprised to see Gradkowski get picked up.

leebigeztx
02-13-2009, 02:47 AM
I would like to keep slaton tto 17 carries a game. I really want 2 more rbs. Rudi Johnnson and JJ Arrington. Slaton 17 times, Johnson 10, and jj 7.If everyone avg 4 ypc, that's almost 140 per game. That's the old broncos kubes perfected.

mexican_texan
02-13-2009, 09:34 AM
Arrington has been nothing short of a bust in Arizona. I don't remember anything Rudi Johnson did last season, other than get his luggage stolen by Tatum Bell

bah007
02-13-2009, 10:04 AM
Arrington has been nothing short of a bust in Arizona. I don't remember anything Rudi Johnson did last season, other than get his luggage stolen by Tatum Bell

You haven't missed anything on Rudi Johnson. He hasn't had a decent year since 2006, and even then he averaged less than 4 yards per carry.

He's not a threat in the passing game and he has lost a step. He is pretty much done, IMO.

J.J. Arrington is pretty much the same type of player as Slaton, except he is worse in every category. They have the same strengths, but Arrington has a laundry list of weaknesses (pass blocking, yards after contact, etc...). It's safe to say he is a bust. His best season was last year and he only carried the ball 31 times.

Vinny
02-13-2009, 10:07 AM
You haven't missed anything on Rudi Johnson. He hasn't had a decent year since 2006, and even then he averaged less than 4 yards per carry.

He's not a threat in the passing game and he has lost a step. He is pretty much done, IMO.

J.J. Arrington is pretty much the same type of player as Slaton, except he is worse in every category. They have the same strengths, but Arrington has a laundry list of weaknesses (pass blocking, yards after contact, etc...). It's safe to say he is a bust. His best season was last year and he only carried the ball 31 times.
agreed....Arrington has no wiggle - he is a straight line runner. I agree on Rudi also. A big back that has lost a step - think Ron Dayne when you think of Rudi. Also, I hope they don't sign Buckhalter. We don't need more mediocre backs that can't get on the field.

WolverineFan
02-13-2009, 11:13 AM
agreed....Arrington has no wiggle - he is a straight line runner. I agree on Rudi also. A big back that has lost a step - think Ron Dayne when you think of Rudi. Also, I hope they don't sign Buckhalter. We don't need more mediocre backs that can't get on the field.

The only thing Arrington has going for him is kick returns, but other than that he's pretty average.

Rudi Johnson is untouchable at this point. He's been getting worse every season and has been bad for years now. At least Ron Dayne could move a pile. Rudi? Not so much. At his age he is most likely done.

As for Buckhalter, he seems like the type of middling, veteran free agent the Texans would bring in. We don't need another Ahman Green though. Stick to the draft and we can find a capable backup RB.

mexican_texan
02-13-2009, 11:42 PM
Buckhalter has missed four games in the past 3 seasons, just like Westbrook has.

PapaL
02-14-2009, 12:03 AM
Buckhalter has missed four games in the past 3 seasons, just like Westbrook has.

Almost sounds like Ahman Green claims a few years back. But, but, but...

mexican_texan
02-14-2009, 12:05 AM
...but Buckhalter doesn't have anywhere near the wear and tear Ahman Green has. Well, maybe the tear, but not the wear.

PapaL
02-14-2009, 12:17 AM
"Fool me once. Shame on you. Fool me twice. Shame on me."

mexican_texan
02-14-2009, 12:43 AM
They're similar how?

jgl35
02-14-2009, 08:18 AM

Which is more Andy Reid's doing then Buck's. There are a lot of Eagle fans, including myself ,who feel Buck isn't used enought.
The injures that caused him to miss two seasons have not been a problem since.
Buck came to the Eagles a year before Westbrook. Duce Staley was the number one back at the time and Dorsey Levens was brought in from Green Bay in '02 when Buck was first hurt before the season started. Westbrook at the time was mostly a kick returner replacing Brian Mitchell.
The Eagles have never given Buck a long term deal due to the lost seasons. He has been a ufa at least 3 times I can think of since he has been here. Weather that means there is no interest from other teams, or Buch wants to stay in Philly, I don't know, but I don't think anybody is going to overpay with a long term deal for him.
A few things about Buck that I do know from hearing him. He would like more carries, but knows and accepts his role on the Eagles. A complete teamplayer who gives his all when given the chance. He is very accessable to the press and the fans who stop him on the street. Buck was one of the few players who stayed above the T.O. thing.
If the Texans are intrested in him and do pick him up, he will do his best to help you both on the feild and in the locker room. I kind of sound like his agent, but I really like Buck. There are fewer team players every year in the NFL. Buck is a total team player. You would be getting a guy who knows what it takes to win, and I think that is what the Texans need to do.
Warner did that for the Cards. Buck would bring that to the Texans.

gary
02-15-2009, 12:11 PM
Redskins claimed him off waivers today. Damn.What does this mean for Cliton P.?

RipTraxx
02-15-2009, 12:21 PM
Any of those guys ran the ZBS/One cut system we do?

I like Ward but i think the giants use the power run game.

The Pencil Neck
02-15-2009, 01:25 PM
What does this mean for Cliton P.?

I doubt this will change anything with the starting line-up. UNLESS... Clinton pissed Zorn off so much by his mouthing off last season that Zorn decides to shop Portis and go with Ladell Betts as his starter and use Aldridge on 3rd downs.

But I think this is just a depth signing.

gary
02-15-2009, 01:31 PM
I doubt this will change anything with the starting line-up. UNLESS... Clinton pissed Zorn off so much by his mouthing off last season that Zorn decides to shop Portis and go with Ladell Betts as his starter and use Aldridge on 3rd downs.

But I think this is just a depth signing.CP will have to stop mouthing off.

Texans34Life
02-17-2009, 12:35 PM
Well, it looks like Deuce is released by the Saints. Can we afford the guy and is he the person to back Slaton (the real Reggie Bush)?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3913182

WolverineFan
02-17-2009, 02:14 PM
Well, it looks like Deuce is released by the Saints. Can we afford the guy and is he the person to back Slaton (the real Reggie Bush)?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3913182

No we don't need another veteran RB injury case. Draft a young guy and plug him in part time to give Slaton a breather. We don't need to spend more money on an injury plagued vet than the money we would spend on a rookie.

Big Poundcake
02-24-2009, 11:26 PM
I know that he is not the best, but Selvin Young is from Houston and he was ELECTRIC in high school at Jersey Village.