PDA

View Full Version : Texans have a S/C Coach

texanfan2002114
02-09-2009, 08:49 PM
Texans promote longtime assistant Wright

"Ray Wright, who has been with the Texans since their first season, has been promoted to strength and conditioning coach.

Wright, who was hired in 2002, was the assistant strength and conditioning coach for seven years under Dan Riley, whose contract wasn’t renewed after the season.

Last week, the Texans hired Geoff Kaplan of the Tennessee Titans as their new head athletic trainer. He replaced Kevin Bastin, whose contract wasn’t renewed. Bastin and Riley had been with the Texans since their inaugural season"

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6254965.html

barrett
02-09-2009, 09:35 PM
clearly he's the Wright choice.

Promoting from within is the key to stability.

Go Texans.

DiehardChris
02-09-2009, 10:38 PM
So much for Richard Justice's "Rick Smith wants to bring his own guys in because he is a vindictive jerk" theory.

RipTraxx
02-09-2009, 10:42 PM
Is anyone worried that Wright will do the SAME THINGS that Riley did?

steelbtexan
02-09-2009, 11:06 PM

Very worried

It seems as though Smithiak was pi**ed at Riley for being Justice mole.

What is Dickie going to do now.

painekiller
02-09-2009, 11:34 PM

Hey when you are the #2 guy in an organization, then you have to do the things the way the #1 want to do them. Obviously Wright has shown the team a plan that they are willing to try. Plus he has a understanding of the player and their needs.

So will he be like Riley? Was Jeff Fisher like Buddy Ryan? No.

The Pencil Neck
02-10-2009, 12:10 AM

Yes.

I'm not liking this at all but I'll wait until I hear more about actual routines he's using before I freak out.

mexican_texan
02-10-2009, 12:12 AM
I expected them to hire from within after they hired only a trainer from the Titans. I can tell you the players are pleased with this, Eric Winston said guys liked the previous staff and he hoped a S/C coach was hired from within.

Texans_Chick
02-16-2009, 08:22 AM
Yes.

I'm not liking this at all but I'll wait until I hear more about actual routines he's using before I freak out.

Hey to you and other S&C folks, here's my latest blog post comparing and contrasting the Jaguars program with the Texans:

Strength and conditioning programs: A look at what the Jaguars are doing (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2009/02/strength_and_conditioning_prog_1.html)

I'd like the MB peeps who are interested in that subject to leave some comments over there(no sign-in necessary--just asks for basic name, email info and nothing is done with the email).

I can't imagine that Wright is going to do anything profoundly different other than being easier for the staff to deal with as far as being open minded. Riley has one way he likes to do things.

painekiller
02-17-2009, 12:52 AM
Hey to you and other S&C folks, here's my latest blog post comparing and contrasting the Jaguars program with the Texans:

Strength and conditioning programs: A look at what the Jaguars are doing (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2009/02/strength_and_conditioning_prog_1.html)

I'd like the MB peeps who are interested in that subject to leave some comments over there(no sign-in necessary--just asks for basic name, email info and nothing is done with the email).

I can't imagine that Wright is going to do anything profoundly different other than being easier for the staff to deal with as far as being open minded. Riley has one way he likes to do things.

I alway learn more from reading your stuff, thank you.