PDA

View Full Version : Free agent list/Players released

forcefollow
02-08-2009, 08:56 PM
I glanced over the list of free agents that would fill an area of need for Houston and in my opinion it seams like slim pickings. Haynesworth looks good, but Houston is probably not willing to pay him. The safety from the eagles also looks tempting. Other than Darren Sproles no player on the tailback list jumped out at me.

Anyone else I have overlooked.

mussop
02-08-2009, 09:23 PM
I glanced over the list of free agents that would fill an area of need for Houston and in my opinion it seams like slim pickings. Haynesworth looks good, but Houston is probably not willing to pay him. The safety from the eagles also looks tempting. Other than Darren Sproles no player on the tailback list jumped out at me.

This link (http://www.theredzone.org/2009/freeagents/) might help.

Wolf6151
02-09-2009, 12:49 AM
How about Karlos Dansby OLB from Arizona-UFA. He's 6'04", 250lbs., and 27yoa. He'd definetly fill a need at SLB.

otisbean
02-09-2009, 08:13 AM
Look for Dansby to end up in Miami. Parcells loves him and the feeling is mutual with Dansby. He would look great in a Texan uniform though.

Mari-OWNED!
02-09-2009, 08:28 AM
There are only really 3 Free Agents I'd really like to see the Texans go after, even though I don't see them getting ANY of them.

Nnamdi Asomugha - CB, Raiders
Julius Peppers - DE, Panthers
O.J. Atogwe - FS, Rams

Of course there are some other guys who look interesting in Free Agency, but that is easily my Top 3.

PHAROAH
02-09-2009, 10:27 AM
There are only really 3 Free Agents I'd really like to see the Texans go after, even though I don't see them getting ANY of them.

Nnamdi Asomugha - CB, Raiders
Julius Peppers - DE, Panthers
O.J. Atogwe - FS, Rams

Of course there are some other guys who look interesting in Free Agency, but that is easily my Top 3. I think we will have a shot at O.J. Atogwe but the other two free agents will be to costly.

PHAROAH
02-09-2009, 10:39 AM
My top free agents that I would the Texans to go after. I know that we can't sign all of them but I would like to go after some of the players listed below.

1. Karlos Dansby - UFA 6-4/240 OLB
2. Oshiomogho Atogwe - UFA 5-11/210 Safety
3. Leroy Hill - UFA 6-1/224 OLB
4. Derrick Ward - UFA 5-11/228 RB
5. Tank Johnson UFA 6-3/300 DT
6. Vernon Carey UFA 6-4/333 OT/OG ** Move to guard **

HOU-TEX
02-09-2009, 04:43 PM
A few players were released today. I reckon there will be more to come in the near future.

The National Football Post reports that the Browns have released QB Ken Dorsey, LB Antwan Peek, and CB Terry Cousin.

Lions released TE Dan Campbell, OL Jon Dunn, and G Edwin Mulitalo, CB Leigh Bodden, S Dwight Smith.

Giants released CB Sam Madison, RB Reuben Droughns, and S Sammy Knight.

*Edit: Add WR Mike Furrey to the Lions list of cuts.

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

TEXANRED
02-09-2009, 05:00 PM
I guess Ruben is soon to be a Texan

HOU-TEX
02-09-2009, 05:03 PM

Ha. I hope not. The only 2 that might have anything to offer us would be Bodden and possibly Cousins. Primarily for depth purposes.

drewmar74
02-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Cut Schaub! Sign Dorsey!

[/sarcasm]

Goldensilence
02-09-2009, 06:20 PM

gee another Texan-Ex Bronco comment......I can never get enough of those. :gun:

Bruce Gradkoski was also released. Don't see a lot of help in this wave maybe as time goes on and contract talks breakdown or decisions are made to go ina different dicrection on some staffs we could some some interesting FA. The link did talk about the Jets being likely to pursue Bart Scott. Wonder if they could afford him despite last year's spending spree.

TheRealJoker
02-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Dwight Smith would be a solid pickup at the bargain bin. Solid FS who can play CB in a pinch and a good insurance policy in the DB rotation if any of the starters get injured.

drewmar74
02-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Dwight Smith would be a solid pickup at the bargain bin. Solid FS who can play CB in a pinch and a good insurance policy in the DB rotation if any of the starters get injured.

I'll buy that for a dollar.

Could you make the argument that he'd be better depth than Will Demps or CC Brown? I'm thinking "yes."

TEXANS84
02-09-2009, 08:48 PM
Peek!

SteveSlaton20
02-09-2009, 09:01 PM

why would you want another tailback when we have Steve Slaton?

Doesn't make sense.

buddyboy
02-09-2009, 09:18 PM
why would you want another tailback when we have Steve Slaton?

Doesn't make sense.

Just on the off chance that Slaton can't play the entire game without sitting out one or two plays:thinking:

awtysst
02-09-2009, 09:19 PM
Oshiomogho Atogwe and B. Harrison are both Stanford players. Should be pretty smart, which is a good thing for a safety.

Norg
02-10-2009, 01:03 AM
Knowing us we are going to try and snag all the denver players ........ LOL

BattleRedToro
02-10-2009, 07:59 AM
How about DE Bertrand Berry from the Cardinals? He's a quality player that probably could be brought in for a very reasonable contract.

BigBull17
02-10-2009, 08:20 AM
Just on the off chance that Slaton can't play the entire game without sitting out one or two plays:thinking:

Isn't Michael Bush a free agent this year?

infantrycak
02-10-2009, 09:17 AM
Isn't Michael Bush a free agent this year?

He is signed through the 2010 season. Link (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=nfl&id=4156)

HOU-TEX
02-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Cowboys released CB/PR Adam "Pacman" Jones.

Not that anyone cares. It was funny to read his comments. What a joke!

"I still think I'm one of the best players on that team," Jones said of the Cowboys. "It is what it is."

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL&line=139010

El Tejano
02-10-2009, 02:33 PM
I would say that Dan Campbell would be a good pick up. He has some skills. Depth at TE has always been kind of low, I don't think we will want to keep Bruener and I don't believe Dreesen is that great of a backup either.

I would like for us to go after a guy like Aaron Stecker, Deshaun Foster, or even Dominic Rhodes because even though they are small they do know how to grind out yards.

TEXANRED
02-10-2009, 09:46 PM
Peek!

A-boo

mexican_texan
02-10-2009, 11:02 PM
I would say that Dan Campbell would be a good pick up. He has some skills. Depth at TE has always been kind of low, I don't think we will want to keep Bruener and I don't believe Dreesen is that great of a backup either.

I would like for us to go after a guy like Aaron Stecker, Deshaun Foster, or even Dominic Rhodes because even though they are small they do know how to grind out yards.
Dreesen is good, better than Dan Campbell.

mexican_texan
02-10-2009, 11:21 PM
TO will be cut. If you haven't heard it before, you heard it here first.

Also:
http://www.profootballtalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/deionpacman.JPG

Goldensilence
02-10-2009, 11:37 PM
How about DE Bertrand Berry from the Cardinals? He's a quality player that probably could be brought in for a very reasonable contract.

I'm thinking a more productive N.D. Kalu and that that is a very good thing. Love N.D's presence on the team. Would love to see Berry on the team for a reasonable contract.

mexican_texan
02-10-2009, 11:37 PM
I work a block away from the field where Bertrand Berry played high school ball.

HOU-TEX
02-11-2009, 03:58 PM
Jaguars released CB Drayton Florence and Jerry Porter..

Florence collected $8 million last season. He was benched after four games due to poor play in zone coverage, sending a wrench into the Jags' plans.

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/home_NFL.aspx

The Pencil Neck
02-11-2009, 05:14 PM

Ouch. Remember the high hopes they had for these guys?

TheRealJoker
02-11-2009, 07:53 PM

We were so foolish to not sign Florence over Reeves!!!

mexican_texan
02-12-2009, 01:51 AM
Yahoo! Sports is reporting the Broncos released Anthony Aldridge. This is one of those times we benefit from a Denver reject; Aldridge, and keep in mind I have a bias against UH, was really good for the Broncos in the preseason, but was unfortunately injured and out for the year. He's not the bruiser we need, but I see him as a definite upgrade over Moats if we can keep him on the PS a year or two

El Tejano
02-12-2009, 07:24 AM
Dreesen is good, better than Dan Campbell.

Let me rephrase that. Since Dreesen is good but not that great to give us a reason not to look for more depth, and Bruener probably will not be signed again, the Texans should look for another back up and Dan Campbell is pretty decent. Low risk kind of guy who can make plays.

mexican_texan
02-12-2009, 09:20 AM
Bruener retired and Dan Campbell never contributed for the 0-16 Lions. I don't think he plays again.

HOU-TEX
02-13-2009, 03:28 PM
Bears released WR Marty Booker.

The Giants have placed the non-exclusive franchise tag on RB Brandon Jacobs.

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=139227

HOU-TEX
02-17-2009, 10:59 AM
Deuce McAllister has been released by the New Orleans Saints, sources have told The Times-Picayune.

http://blog.nola.com/saintsbeat/2009/02/new_orleans_saints_and_deuce_m.html

RipTraxx
02-17-2009, 11:14 AM

Plus he went to HS around here. Hometown hero....

Wolf6151
02-17-2009, 11:17 AM
I'd like the Texans to take a serious look at Michael Huff SS/FS from Oakland. He's young, and healthy as fas as I know, and getting cut by Oakland could be the best thing that ever happened to him. Huff could compete for either S position.

Goldensilence
02-17-2009, 11:21 AM
Deuce McAllister has been released by the New Orleans Saints, sources have told The Times-Picayune.

http://blog.nola.com/saintsbeat/2009/02/new_orleans_saints_and_deuce_m.html

Interesting. I'm guessing they'll be going after some help at Running back because Reggie Bush can't handle the full load by himself.

bah007
02-17-2009, 11:21 AM
I'd like the Texans to take a serious look at Michael Huff SS/FS from Oakland. He's young, and healthy as fas as I know, and getting cut by Oakland could be the best thing that ever happened to him. Huff could compete for either S position.

Huff is a great athlete.

Oakland managed to make Randy Moss look done so it's hard to really judge Huff's career so far.

bah007
02-17-2009, 11:22 AM
Interesting. I'm guessing they'll be going after some help at Running back because Reggie Bush can't handle the full load by himself.

I think they will try to platoon Bush with Pierre Thomas for a year and if it doesn't work out they will take a RB next year.

WolverineFan
02-17-2009, 11:29 AM
I think they will try to platoon Bush with Pierre Thomas for a year and if it doesn't work out they will take a RB next year.

The situation there is actually really sad. How in the world do you manage to pay a guy $8 mil a year and be happy with him being just a punt returner/decoy.

HOU-TEX
02-17-2009, 11:37 AM

Yeah, they have Stecker too. The Saints need to spend their entire draft on defense.

RazorOye
02-17-2009, 11:43 AM
The situation there is actually really sad. How in the world do you manage to pay a guy $8 mil a year and be happy with him being just a punt returner/decoy.

funny... most of my fellow Saints fans don't feel this way at all

:shrug:

the sadness for us today is the obvious loss of one of the best and classiest Saints of all time.

Deuce will be missed.

HOU-TEX
02-17-2009, 11:58 AM

the sadness for us today is the obvious loss of one of the best and classiest Saints of all time.

Deuce will be missed.

Yeah, I was perusing a Saints board a few minutes ago and didn't see one poster who was happy about his release. He must've been a great guy on the field, off the field and in the locker room to have that kind of support from the fans.

bah007
02-17-2009, 12:02 PM
Despite disliking the Saints for most of my life (I really don't know how it started), I have always had a lot of respect for Deuce.

The guy was a gamer.

Goldensilence
02-17-2009, 12:06 PM

Deuce will be missed.

You mean they feel Reggie can carry the load or for what he does is worth the salary? Steve Slaton has already almost gone pass all the career marks(aside from receiving yards) for Reggie and he didn't even start all year.

Do feel sorry for the fans about Deuce.

Brandon420tx
02-17-2009, 12:16 PM

Huff and Jermaine Phillips, I hope we get at least one of them. Both would be awesome.

RazorOye
02-17-2009, 12:33 PM
You mean they feel Reggie can carry the load or for what he does is worth the salary? Steve Slaton has already almost gone pass all the career marks(aside from receiving yards) for Reggie and he didn't even start all year.

Do feel sorry for the fans about Deuce.

first, my thoughts on Bush are well established on these boards. I'm far from a blind Bush homer and have expressed my reservations about his health and disappointment in his performance when it comes to consistency. So I'm not going to recap them here because....

second, this is a thread about people who are released. Bush has not been. Deuce has. I'm not going to disrespect Deuce by dragging Bush into an argument that has nothing to do with him and is only here because....

third, there are Texan fans who turn any possible Saints-related or Mario-related or Slaton-related or VY-related thread into a Bush bashing thread. if that's what you'd like to do then there are countless threads you can bump and pile on.

This isn't that thread.

So I won't indulge your non-sequitur because I don't want this thread to get derailed.

Deuce is a Saints legend and lots of hearts are breaking today.

Including mine.

Watching him work hard for a team - never quitting - was something my Dad compared him to Earl Campbell. He wasn't saying that the two were comparable runners - Earl is, imo, in a class with only a handful of NFL RBs. Rather, he meant a RB that embodied a city, a franchise, and a work ethic that will be hard to match.

Thanks for the memories Deuce.

swtbound07
02-17-2009, 12:53 PM
yes to michael huff, yes to deuce mcallister, yes to jermaine phillips. That would be amazing

HOU-TEX
02-17-2009, 01:14 PM
first, my thoughts on Bush are well established on these boards. I'm far from a blind Bush homer and have expressed my reservations about his health and disappointment in his performance when it comes to consistency. So I'm not going to recap them here because....

second, this is a thread about people who are released. Bush has not been. Deuce has. I'm not going to disrespect Deuce by dragging Bush into an argument that has nothing to do with him and is only here because....

third, there are Texan fans who turn any possible Saints-related or Mario-related or Slaton-related or VY-related thread into a Bush bashing thread. if that's what you'd like to do then there are countless threads you can bump and pile on.

This isn't that thread.

So I won't indulge your non-sequitur because I don't want this thread to get derailed.

Including mine.

Watching him work hard for a team - never quitting - was something my Dad compared him to Earl Campbell. He wasn't saying that the two were comparable runners - Earl is, imo, in a class with only a handful of NFL RBs. Rather, he meant a RB that embodied a city, a franchise, and a work ethic that will be hard to match.

Good post, Razor.

Mr teX
02-17-2009, 01:55 PM
A few players were released today. I reckon there will be more to come in the near future.

*Edit: Add WR Mike Furrey to the Lions list of cuts.

anyone coming off that 0-16 detroit lion team (minus Calvin Johnson) is off limits.

Goldensilence
02-17-2009, 01:55 PM

This isn't that thread.

Including mine.

First I never said YOU were a Reggie homer or anything like that. Thats how YOU took it.

I was responding to what Wolverinefan was insinuating about the state of your running back corps WITHOUT Duece. Him or I should not have to point out how the running back situation looks without Duece and who is pretty much in line to carry the load one way or another. I don't think either of us saw the release coming and beg your pardon for us putting our curiousity out there as to the future of the RB corps without their top RB.

Deuce will be missed.

Perhaps after stating his salary vs role vs Deuce being the running game you said that quote. Perhaps just a miscommunication. Deuce being released reminds me of Domanick Davis/Williams and how Texans fan felt/feel.

ChampionTexan
02-17-2009, 08:44 PM
After cutting six players on Monday, the Denver Broncos dumped a seventh guy on Tuesday.

Gone is cornerback Dre’ Bly, according to the team’s official web site.

Bly arrived via trade two years ago. He was due to earn a base salary of $3.25 million in 2009.

PFT.com (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/17/denver-dumps-dre/)

Jottoz
02-17-2009, 09:24 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80eca402&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Broncos trimming the fat

DiehardChris
02-17-2009, 09:26 PM
They're clearing a ton of cap room. I wonder if they have a big FA in mind.

TheRealJoker
02-17-2009, 09:53 PM
They seem to be copying the Chiefs from last offseason, except they actually got rid of their HC.

jshabang
02-18-2009, 03:06 PM
Are his best years behind him...or was he a product of a bad defense?

Was just reported on espn....

HOU-TEX
02-18-2009, 05:03 PM
Guess we can end the Suggs to Houston talk. :shades:

Ravens assigned the non-exclusive franchise tag to DE/OLB Terrell Suggs.

Brandon420tx
02-18-2009, 07:31 PM
Any news on Dansby?

michaelm
02-18-2009, 09:47 PM
Any news on Dansby?

Wed Feb 18, 3:56 pm ET

TEMPE, Ariz. – The Arizona Cardinals have put a non-exclusive franchise tag on linebacker Karlos Dansby. The move guarantees Dansby a salary of at least $9.7 million next season, the average salary of the five highest-paid players at his position.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090218/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_cardinals_dansby

Mailman
02-19-2009, 10:44 AM
Supposedly the Panthers are very close to a deal with Jordan Gross.

According to sources, the Panthers and Gross’s representatives are close to finalizing a frontloaded, six-year agreement with Gross that would pay him $30.5 million over the first three years of the deal – the biggest three-year payout ever to an offensive lineman.

Provided that deal gets completed, the Panthers are expected to put their franchise tag on defensive end Julius Peppers later today.

http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2009/02/panthers-close-in-on-gross-deal.html

WolverineFan
02-19-2009, 11:09 AM
Supposedly the Panthers are very close to a deal with Jordan Gross.

http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2009/02/panthers-close-in-on-gross-deal.html

No surprise there. Gotta cover all your bases.

Mailman
02-20-2009, 11:27 AM
Miami didn't use a franchise tag on any of their players. LB Channing Crowder will be on the market next week.

Errant Hothy
02-20-2009, 11:31 AM
Miami didn't use a franchise tag on any of their players. LB Channing Crowder will be on the market next week.

I'd be all for the Texans making a push to sign Channing.

Mailman
02-20-2009, 11:41 AM
What kind of money is a guy like Crowder expecting to get in FA?

TheRealJoker
02-21-2009, 03:41 PM
Who here is interested in a young starting safety? From Schefter's blog:

Combine, News
Newsome: Ravens’ Leonhard likely moving on
Posted: February 21st, 2009 | Jason Feller | Tags: Baltimore Ravens, Jim Leonhard, Ozzie Newsome

Safety Jim Leonhard made a name for himself with an outstanding playoff performance, but that might not be enough to keep him in Baltimore.

Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome indicated Leonhard could be headed elsewhere this offseason.

“He has to look at if he comes back, he’s competing for a starting job. If he goes to one of these 31 other teams, then he will probably go in and be a starter and everyone wants to play,” said Newsome.

“I understand Jimmy probably wants to go somewhere else.”

The free agent to be was a revelation during his fourth season. He started 13 games and established career highs with 69 tackles and six passes defensed.

In the postseason, Leonhard was at his best, putting up spectacular numbers. He had 16 tackles, one interception, a forced fumble, two fumble recoveries and a 0.5 sack in three playoff games.

He was also a valuable punt returner and special teams performer.

mexican_texan
02-21-2009, 05:43 PM
He's probably going to NY with Rex Ryan.

Goldensilence
02-21-2009, 06:29 PM
A RUMOR I Heard via one of my Raiders fan friends that Gibril Wilson might be cut. FWIW.

mexican_texan
02-21-2009, 07:23 PM
He was. It's on PFT.

The Pencil Neck
02-22-2009, 11:41 AM
He was. It's on PFT.

It was also on the crawl on NFLN yesterday.

TEXANRED
02-22-2009, 12:44 PM
A RUMOR I Heard via one of my Raiders fan friends that Gibril Wilson might be cut. FWIW.

I am expecting to see Barber start next year at SS. I heard Kubiak say he was impressed and said the kid showed him something.

What we need is a FS.

HOU-TEX
02-23-2009, 10:36 AM
I am expecting to see Barber start next year at SS. I heard Kubiak say he was impressed and said the kid showed him something.

What we need is a FS.

I'm with you on Barber, TEXANRED. I really hope he turns out to be the SS we've been looking for.

I see Eugene Wilson as our FS this season. Hopefully we can re-sign him.

TEXANS84
02-23-2009, 10:40 AM
I see Eugene Wilson as our FS this season. Hopefully we can re-sign him.

What really impressed me with Wilson is the ability to disguise coverages. Thats something that he brought over from his days with the Patriots, and clearly helped out the pass defense over the last few games.

HOU-TEX
02-23-2009, 10:43 AM
What really impressed me with Wilson is the ability to disguise coverages. Thats something that he brought over from his days with the Patriots, and clearly helped out the pass defense over the last few games.

Agreed! He ain't skeered to lay a lick on somebody either.

mexican_texan
02-23-2009, 11:24 PM
I found it pretty funny Richard Smith was baffled by that concept.

76Texan
02-24-2009, 01:22 AM
How much would Fred Taylor cost?

Can the Texans use him?

The Pencil Neck
02-24-2009, 02:09 AM
How much would Fred Taylor cost?

Can the Texans use him?

Haven't we been down that road before?

TEXANS84
02-24-2009, 07:28 AM
I found it pretty funny Richard Smith was baffled by that concept.

Yeah, when a saftey isn't just sitting deep in the secondary and is actually running up front...side to side...deep...Smith's head probably blew up.

TEXANS84
02-24-2009, 04:53 PM
Patrick Surtain released by Chiefs.

bah007
02-24-2009, 06:20 PM

That's got to hurt their cap. Didn't he still have three years left on his contract?

gtexan02
02-24-2009, 06:21 PM

Wasnt Gibbs the Chiefs DB coach? Maybe we'll see Surtain look here. He seems a litlte washed up, but veteran leadership at CB is something this team has a need for.

Errant Hothy
02-24-2009, 06:26 PM
Wasnt Gibbs the Chiefs DB coach? Maybe we'll see Surtain look here. He seems a litlte washed up, but veteran leadership at CB is something this team has a need for.

Don't Wilson and Furgeson provide that?

Along with Dunta?

bah007
02-24-2009, 06:28 PM

I'm thinking that Surtain is done. He has only had one decent year with the Chiefs and it was his first one.

Big Poundcake
02-24-2009, 09:18 PM
I'm thinking that Surtain is done. He has only had one decent year with the Chiefs and it was his first one.
I think your right about Surtain. Now Dre Bly on the other hand.... I think he might be worth bringing in on minimum contract.

HOU-TEX
02-25-2009, 09:24 AM
I heard on the radio this morning that the Bears are interested in S Eugene Wilson.

swtbound07
02-25-2009, 12:33 PM
http://blogs.tampabay.com/bucs/

bucs release derrick brooks, warrick dunn, cato june, and ike hilliard

ChampionTexan
02-25-2009, 02:26 PM
The Rams have released Trent Green and Drew Bennett.

LINK (http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/around-the-horns/around-the-horns/2009/02/st-louis-rams-release-qb-green-and-wr-bennett/)

TEXANS84
02-25-2009, 03:17 PM
The Rams have released Trent Green and Drew Bennett.

LINK (http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/around-the-horns/around-the-horns/2009/02/st-louis-rams-release-qb-green-and-wr-bennett/)

I forsee the Titans on Bennett's reunion tour.

Specnatz
02-25-2009, 03:26 PM
Panthers news - On Wednesday, they released wide receiver D.J. Hackett, running back Nick Goings and offensive lineman Jeremy Bridges.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3933703

76Texan
02-25-2009, 05:02 PM
Haven't we been down that road before?
I think it's different. We signed Green as the main guy; whereas Taylor would be the second guy now.

I don't think the Texans will go this direction anyhow, so it's probably a moot point!

The Pencil Neck
02-25-2009, 05:22 PM
I think it's different. We signed Green as the main guy; whereas Taylor would be the second guy now.

I don't think the Texans will go this direction anyhow, so it's probably a moot point!

I wasn't just talking about Green. I was talking about Chris Brown, as well.

76Texan
02-25-2009, 05:50 PM
I wasn't just talking about Green. I was talking about Chris Brown, as well.

I was only thinking of a proven veteran RB who is:
- satisfied with the back-up job
- looking for a ring

(sorta like Mutombo with the Rockets last year - not this year. I mean, we gotta to have a certain cutoff point, right?)

JWarren14
02-25-2009, 06:11 PM
Jets restructured Laveranues Coles' contract so he will be an unrestricted Free Agent.

TexansFan33
02-25-2009, 06:28 PM
I want Derrick Brooks For 1 year. Or maybe warrick dunn for cheap.

Mailman
02-25-2009, 09:17 PM
Well well well. Looks as if Channing Crowder was more coveted by the Dolphins than we thought. They re-signed him tonight (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80ef127b&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true) rather than let him walk into free agency.

Mailman
02-25-2009, 09:18 PM
I want Derrick Brooks For 1 year. Or maybe warrick dunn for cheap.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict that your fellow boarders bang on those two for being older than 30.

Mailman
02-26-2009, 11:26 PM
DeAngelo Hall signs with the Redskins.

Hall reached an agreement with the Redskins on a six-year, $54 million deal that includes $22.5 million guaranteed and $30 million in the first three seasons.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/27/hall-opens-free-agency-by-signing-with-redskins/

mexican_texan
02-26-2009, 11:42 PM
I guess they want Roy Williams too so they can go ahead and give the fans big plays.

Over/under on how many seasons he makes it: 1.5

Mailman
02-27-2009, 12:00 AM
Pretty hilarious listening to TJ Housh on ESPN lobbying for teams to bid on his services.

"Man, can you imagine what I'd do with Adrian Peterson?"

lolol

bah007
02-27-2009, 02:15 PM
DeAngelo Hall signs with the Redskins.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/27/hall-opens-free-agency-by-signing-with-redskins/

It's simply amazing how much money you can make just by being fast.

Hall has been the most overrated corner in the league ever since he got here and yet people still keep paying him to give up TD's and sit on the bench.

The Pencil Neck
02-27-2009, 02:26 PM
It's simply amazing how much money you can make just by being fast.

Hall has been the most overrated corner in the league ever since he got here and yet people still keep paying him to give up TD's and sit on the bench.

He finished the season with the Redskins so they should know what they're paying for.

bah007
02-27-2009, 02:28 PM
He finished the season with the Redskins so they should know what they're paying for.

That is sound reasoning but since it's the Redskins I'm going to have to disagree.

Who is the last guy that they cashed out for that has been successful there?

The Pencil Neck
02-27-2009, 02:30 PM
That is sound reasoning but since it's the Redskins I'm going to have to disagree.

Define "successful".

4Texans
02-27-2009, 02:32 PM

I was thinking that exact thought this morning after I heard they signed Albert and Hall...... I couldn't think of a single FA that came through for them... Anyone??? Anyone????:thinking:

bah007
02-27-2009, 02:32 PM
Define "successful".

In the ballpark of being worth what they paid for him.

The Pencil Neck
02-27-2009, 02:57 PM
In the ballpark of being worth what they paid for him.

I got nuthin.

texasguy346
02-27-2009, 03:57 PM
Schefter just reported on NFL Total Access that the Broncos have signed JJ Arrington & Buckhalter. No link yet.

mussop
03-01-2009, 06:11 AM
Schefter just reported on NFL Total Access that the Broncos have signed JJ Arrington & Buckhalter. No link yet.

Heard somewhere that the NFL wasnt allowing the Arrington trade.

Grams
03-01-2009, 07:12 AM
Heard somewhere that the NFL wasnt allowing the Arrington trade.

Think Arrington is a UFA. Read that he has some problems with the "language" in the contract.

Wolf
04-25-2009, 11:33 PM
My top free agents that I would the Texans to go after. I know that we can't sign all of them but I would like to go after some of the players listed below.

1. Karlos Dansby - UFA 6-4/240 OLB
2. Oshiomogho Atogwe - UFA 5-11/210 Safety
3. Leroy Hill - UFA 6-1/224 OLB
4. Derrick Ward - UFA 5-11/228 RB
5. Tank Johnson UFA 6-3/300 DT
6. Vernon Carey UFA 6-4/333 OT/OG ** Move to guard **

update

NFL network said the franchise tag was just dropped on Leroy Hill...fyi

HOU-TEX
08-04-2009, 02:30 PM
Eagles signed DE Jason Babin, formerly of the Chiefs.

Babin, 29, was a first-round pick in 2004, but has proven a 'tweener after showing some flashes early in his career. He's a camp body in Philadelphia.

mexican_texan
08-04-2009, 06:24 PM
29....how old is Dunta?

HOU-TEX
08-14-2009, 10:10 AM
According to a report, free agent LB Morlon Greenwood will work out for the Raiders today.

Greenwood was released by the Texans in February because of his cap number and could still make a nice backup. The Raiders are also rumored to be interested in fellow free agent LB Derrick Brooks.

HOU-TEX
08-17-2009, 11:52 AM
Patriots signed RB Chris Taylor, formerly of the Texans.

Taylor is a fringe player who couldn't stay healthy in Houston. The Pats could give him a look at fullback -- where Taylor practiced briefly with the Texans -- but he almost certainly isn't going to make the final 53.

The Pencil Neck
08-17-2009, 11:55 AM

Oh, well. Best of luck to Chris. I had high hopes for him while he was here but he was damned delicate.

Blazing Arrow
08-17-2009, 12:01 PM
Oh, well. Best of luck to Chris. I had high hopes for him while he was here but he was damned delicate.

Think this is a sign FT is done?

blitz90
08-17-2009, 01:10 PM
29....how old is Dunta?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=5535

The Pencil Neck
08-17-2009, 01:43 PM

I don't think so. I think it's just adding a camp body more than anything else.

otoh...

mexican_texan
08-18-2009, 06:15 PM
Babin didn't look bad with the Eagles. However, he was about 1/10th the player Barwin is.

ObsiWan
08-18-2009, 06:25 PM

Naaah...
The Hoodie will squeeze another year out of F.T.

Blazing Arrow
08-18-2009, 06:49 PM
Naaah...
The Hoodie will squeeze another year out of F.T.

He plays us this season so he is done. No amount of homeless garb that Bela-cheat wears can stop FT's curse of being injured when playing the Titans.

Specnatz
08-30-2009, 01:53 AM
CB - Jamar Fletcher released

http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=2&cid=893037&nid=4474916&fhn=1

Silver Oak
09-05-2009, 11:32 AM
Dominic Rhodes released today. Quick fall from a short time ago.

DiehardChris
09-05-2009, 11:43 AM
OL Trevor Canfield was released by the Cardinals. I was crazy-high on him leading up to the draft, but of course that means nothing. He's got a real nasty demeanor, and he's a perfect ZBS lineman.

Then again, there's a reason he was picked in the 7th round, and a reason he was released.

Still - I'd love to see him in a Texans uniform, depending on who we'd have to cut to land him.

Specnatz
09-05-2009, 11:58 AM
OL Trevor Canfield was released by the Cardinals. I was crazy-high on him leading up to the draft, but of course that means nothing. He's got a real nasty demeanor, and he's a perfect ZBS lineman.

Then again, there's a reason he was picked in the 7th round, and a reason he was released.

Still - I'd love to see him in a Texans uniform, depending on who we'd have to cut to land him.

How about signing him to the practice squad?

Wolf6151
09-05-2009, 12:44 PM

I'd give him a tryout, he'd could probably beat out Studdard. I was very high on this guy as well and he's got a perfect size for the ZBS, listed as 6'05" and 307 lbs. and could add another 10-15 lbs. easily. He probably wasn't big enough for Arizonas man blocking scheme.

Specnatz
09-05-2009, 06:40 PM
Raiders released QB Garcia ...... WOW

Wolf6151
09-05-2009, 07:14 PM
Cook is a rookie SS out of South Carolina that was very highly thought of prior to the draft and was cut by the Jets today, has to be better than Barber.

Freeman is a rookie OLB from Ohio St. and was also very highly thought of prior to the draft and was cut by Chicago today, he'd be great as a backup SLB. Bigger and younger than Davis.

Canfield is a rookie G out of Cinncinati that was very highly thought of and would be a perfect fit in a ZBS scheme. He's 6'05" and 307 lbs. and was cut by Arizona, probably to small to play their man scheme but could be perfect for the ZBS and could easily add 10-15 lbs.. He could replace Brisiel or Studdard.

All three of these guys were on many members mock drafts a few months ago and I think the Texans should give each a tryout and serious consideration. They've all got skill and would come cheap.

Marcus
09-05-2009, 07:39 PM
Google Tevor Canfield and see the word 'suspension' all over the place.

Honoring Earl 34
09-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Google Tevor Canfield and see the word 'suspension' all over the place.

For drug use ?

JB
09-05-2009, 07:46 PM
Not interested in Cook myself...

Too Small, too slow, tight hips and poor ball skills.

The one thing he has going for him is good run support, but not enough to outweigh the negatives.

Goatcheese
09-05-2009, 07:51 PM
Not interested in Cook myself...

Too Small, too slow, tight hips and poor ball skills.

The one thing he has going for him is good run support, but not enough to outweigh the negatives.

A lot of people had him rated lower than our 7th round pick Troy Nolan. I don't think he can add anything to this team if Nolan couldn't make it.

Specnatz
09-05-2009, 07:55 PM
A lot of people had him rated lower than our 7th round pick Troy Nolan. I don't think he can add anything to this team if Nolan couldn't make it.

Nolan got hurt early on by the way.

HOU-TEX
09-17-2009, 10:11 AM
Wide receiver Hank Baskett, who was released by Philadelphia Tuesday, has agreed to terms on a one-year contract with the Indianapolis Colts, according to his agent. He is expected to sign his contract this morning and practice with Indianapolis today.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/09/17/colts-sign-former-eagles-wr-baskett/

badboy
10-26-2009, 04:04 PM
I had Trevor Canfield high myself. What is the info on suspension?

awtysst
11-16-2009, 09:18 PM
I had Trevor Canfield high myself. What is the info on suspension?

I don't know about suspension, but he had character issues before the draft. He was suspended in 2008 for allegedly hitting a man with a glass but the charges were dropped.