PDA

View Full Version : Cards Fire DC Pendergast

Goldensilence
02-07-2009, 03:52 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3891143

TEMPE, Ariz. -- The Arizona Cardinals have fired defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast less than a week after the team played Pittsburgh in the Super Bowl.

Coach Ken Whisenhunt said in a statement released Saturday that the decision "comes down to what's best for the team and what gives us the best chance to win."

Pendergast's departure leaves the team without both coordinators. Offensive coordinator Todd Haley was named head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs on Friday.

The Cardinals allowed more points during the 2008 regular season than all but four teams, and their defense couldn't hold a lead in the final minutes of Super Bowl XLII.

Whisenhunt is reportedly interested in replacing him with Keith Butler, the former Seattle linebacker who coaches the position for the Steelers.

More on the link. At first glance is a bit of a shock considering how well the defense played for the most part during the playoffs. However, was pretty dismal during the regular season. What makes this more interesting is whom he is looking at replacing him with.

GuerillaBlack
02-07-2009, 03:56 PM
So, when the defense strts gelling, you release the DC? Smart.

gtexan02
02-07-2009, 04:01 PM
So, when the defense strts gelling, you release the DC? Smart.

I think the reasoning behind this is that clearly the defense is talented, and their performance during the regular season was unacceptable.

I think its a good move

ChampionTexan
02-07-2009, 04:11 PM
Pendergast was a hold-over from the Dennis Green era, and he was retained by Whisenhunt at the request of ownership. He did ask to interview one of the Steelers assistants when he first got to AZ, but was denied permission, and went ahead and honored the request.

I think on one hand it's obviously a case of believing they have the talent to do better (and if it were just a matter of looking at the last few games, the Texans would probably still have Richard Smith on staff). But I think it's also a matter of Whisenhunt getting his guys on staff. The guy went to the Super Bowl - give him the luxury of one of his own coordinating the defense.

HOU-TEX
02-09-2009, 11:24 AM
When I first heard of this firing a couple days ago the first thought I had was that it might've been a little knee-jerkish. I would think they'd want to give it a week or two before making decisions like that.

Eh, I reckon it was probably decided before the post-season.