PDA

View Full Version : Speculative piece - Dunta to Lions....

drewmar74
02-07-2009, 12:02 PM
Just a columnist from Detroit talking about some corners who might be available in free agency. Dunta is the first one mentioned:

If he's available, Dunta Robinson could provide big lift for Lions secondary

Dunta Robinson - With the impending release of Leigh Bodden, the Lions are looking for a pair of starting cornerbacks and it's highly unlikely they'll fill both spots in the draft. With Nnamdi Asomugha expected to be franchised by the Raiders, Robinson is the next-best free agent option. The Texans have made it pretty clear that they expect to re-sign Robinson but if he opts to test the free agent waters, the Lions could make a move.

Robinson is a five-year veteran but he's only 26 years old so the Lions can make a long-term investment in him. Robinson is a tremendous athlete with good speed and has shown that he can be one of the top cornerbacks in the league. However, there are some question marks.

The former first-round draft pick in 2004 doesn't have the greatest size and he's had a serious injury. After starting every game in his first three seasons, he missed seven games in 2007 after tearing both his ACL and hamstring.

Robinson, who some thought might not return in 2008, got his first action in week seven against the Lions. After getting back into the rotation for five games, Robinson started the last six games of the season and appears to be fully recovered.

The other issue with Robinson is that he exploded on the scene as a rookie, recording six interceptions and three sacks. However, in the four years since, he only has a total of seven interceptions and one sack.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/02/if_hes_available_dunta_robinso.html

nunusguy
02-07-2009, 12:13 PM
I say not a chance. D-Rob is a Sun-Belt (warm-weather climate) guy who in addition to wanting a big pay day (can anyone blame him ?), he desperately wants to be on a playoff team. I don't see Motown fitting that description.

Second Honeymoon
02-07-2009, 12:15 PM
It's no surprise that Dunta is being mentioned by other teams. Hopefully the guy feels like he wants to be a part of what the Texans are trying to do and resigns with us. I don't think he needs to accept a hometown discount or anything, but I would hope he would take a 'little less' to play for us as opposed to Detroit for crying out loud.

My problem is what if an established Super Bowl contender wants Dunta. I am not that worried about Detroit but what if a Pittsburgh, New England, or Indianapolis came calling and offered him a deal less than ours but with a more realistic chance to come in and win a championship from Day One.

We need Dunta. His numbers went down from his rookie year partly because teams stopped throwing on his side of the field and started targeting Petey Faggins or whoever else. This year he got burned a few times coming back from injury but he was far from a liability and I just love the way the guy plays football. He is a team leader and has been a great citizen as a Texan. To let him go would be embarassing and destructive to our team's chances.

Dunta = quality

Dread-Head
02-07-2009, 12:27 PM
NO! He's the ONLY good player IN the Texan's secondary. Besides would YOU want to be the defensive equivilent of Barry Sanders? The ONE good guy on a sucky team?

gtexan02
02-07-2009, 12:51 PM
If dunta leaves, its going to be because he is tired of playing for a non-contending team. No way does he go to the Lions

Silver Oak
02-07-2009, 12:55 PM
"The other issue with Robinson is that he exploded on the scene as a rookie, recording six interceptions and three sacks. However, in the four years since, he only has a total of seven interceptions and one sack."

would be a shame for Dunta to move on, but if I was in the Texans FO, I wouldn't break the bank to re-sign him either...at least until he has had a season to show he can still excel.

bckey
02-07-2009, 01:30 PM
If Dunta does leave I say there is almost zero chance it would be to the Lions. If you want to have a chance to be on a winning team and get a payday then steer clear of the Lions. Dunta doesn't like losing.

steelbtexan
02-07-2009, 01:33 PM
If Smithiak want to keep him they can franchise him.

If they let him walk I hope it means they are looking @ picking up Peppers, Albert,or ASO with the money they saved by not keeping Dunta

It basically comes down to would you rather have

Dunta & Cushing or Peppers & A. Smith or DJ Moore

Give me whats behind door no.2 Monte

False Start
02-07-2009, 01:47 PM
Damn, that would suck. I doubt he would go the Cowardly Lions though. Lets try and think positive here....... please.

Ole Miss Texan
02-07-2009, 01:58 PM
If dunta leaves, its going to be because he is tired of playing for a non-contending team. No way does he go to the Lions

Exactly my thoughts. Dunta is a competitor and guy that wants to WIN. I even think he would pass up a more expensive offer in order to play for a playoff/superbowl contendor.

I don't blame the writer one bit for mentioning him b/c they should be going after a guy like him. But Dunta does not want another "Carr fiasco". He wants to win, go to the playoffs, and get himself a ring.
I hope it's with the Texans.

Goldensilence
02-07-2009, 02:08 PM
Only way Dunta leaves for the Lions is if they really open the bank for him and I'm hoping the Texans FO doesn't follow suit. I'd love to have Dunta back but not at the cost of really hamstringing the cap.

I'm wary of tagging him but in the end it would probably be worth it. If hedoes leave, like everyone else is saying it probably won't be to a team that just lost every game last season.

TEXANS84
02-07-2009, 03:31 PM
Pure speculation. Slow offseason. Go over to the Titans message board and all of their fans are wanting Owen Daniels. Funny thing is that in the right system, a TE will shine. With VY and Collins at QB shaquille oneal would fail as a TE

edo783
02-07-2009, 05:24 PM
Just the same type of speculation that we do about players like Peppers or Aso or what ever player you like. Very few good players actually make it to FA. They get F-tagged or signed about 90% of the time and I expect the same will happen with DR.

The1ApplePie
02-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Dunta is asking for more money than he's worth at this point and the Texans would be stupid to pay him like a top 5 or 10 corner. Great leader and man but he was not a top-tier talent pre-injury, let alone now

infantrycak
02-07-2009, 05:50 PM
Dunta is asking for more money than he's worth at this point

And you know this how?

mussop
02-07-2009, 06:00 PM
Dunta is asking for more money than he's worth at this point and the Texans would be stupid to pay him like a top 5 or 10 corner. Great leader and man but he was not a top-tier talent pre-injury, let alone now

Ok name 10 corners that are more valuable to their team than Dante is to us.

infantrycak
02-07-2009, 06:27 PM
Ok name 10 corners that are more valuable to their team than Dante is to us.

Maybe he is valuable enough to learn his name is DUNTA. j/k--used your post as an example.

Nawzer
02-07-2009, 07:07 PM
"The other issue with Robinson is that he exploded on the scene as a rookie, recording six interceptions and three sacks. However, in the four years since, he only has a total of seven interceptions and one sack."

would be a shame for Dunta to move on, but if I was in the Texans FO, I wouldn't break the bank to re-sign him either...at least until he has had a season to show he can still excel.

You know I feel exactly the same way about Dunta. I would love for him to stay in a Texans uniform long term but I don't want to see us break the bank for him. He's the emotional leader of the team but he wasn't all that great last year. Now, I know he came back from surgery and he wasn't full speed or whatever, but even before the injury he wasn't producing like he did in his rookie year. Anyway, hopefully he'll be back but if he asks for too much money then I think the Texans will have to make a tough decision.

ATXtexanfan
02-07-2009, 07:10 PM

to pay him like a top 5 cb is pushing it, but he has seen one career threatning injury and i can't blame him for looking for his payday. i'd offer reasonable money, top 5-15 cb, if he walks, we move on

rarazz00
02-08-2009, 01:06 PM
Dunta Openly admitted he wasn't 100% coming back this season and even at the end of the year he said he was about 80%. Franchise him(no hard feelin's Dunta) you'll still make 8 to 9 mil for the 09 season, show us that your not marginalized with your prior injury and we'll talk long term in November 09:brando:

WWJD
02-08-2009, 01:31 PM
He's a pro athlete.

The overwhelming majority of them will change teams if the money is right.

No matter the record.

Second Honeymoon
02-08-2009, 04:15 PM
to pay him like a top 5 cb is pushing it, but he has seen one career threatning injury and i can't blame him for looking for his payday. i'd offer reasonable money, top 5-15 cb, if he walks, we move on

it sounds more and more like we need to franchise Dunta and delay his UFA status or at least use it as a bargaining chip in negotiations. We can't let Dunta leave. Franchising him allows us to try and resign him long term in an UNCAPPED year in 2010....it makes total sense to just franchise him for 09 and then if he plays well, we have to pay him well but at least it will be funneled to 2010 to a large extent.

i say either pay the guy what he wants or franchise him. either or. needless to say it would inspire Dunta to really show what he is worth because he would be a UFA in '10....in the uncapped year.

El Tejano
02-09-2009, 10:16 AM

I would agree if he wasn't coming off a career threatening injury. However, he has, and he could be looking to secure himself. At least if his agent was smart, he would bring these things up to Dunta.

Carr Bombed
02-09-2009, 10:26 AM
Nobody is going to the Lions.....atleast nobody that's really good.

They are like we were a few years ago....a team that has to overpay just to bring in sub par talent. This writer should stop having pipe dreams of the Lions making a huge FA splash and just worry about how the team is going to rebuild through the draft.

gtexan02
02-09-2009, 10:32 AM
Nobody is going to the Lions.....atleast nobody that's really good.

They are like we were a few years ago....a team that has to overpay just to bring in sub par talent. This writer should stop having pipe dreams of the Lions making a huge FA splash and just worry about how the team is going to rebuild through the draft.

Don't be so sure. All it took for the Falcons last year was one big name FA. They landed the best FA running back and used that in combination with a coaching change and draft to totally turn around their team

HOU-TEX
02-09-2009, 10:56 AM
I've been perusing several MB's the past couple weeks and have Dunta's name a couple of times as a potential FA. The Phins mentioned him more than anybody else.

Personally, I don't think he's going anywhere. They have until the 22nd (IIRC) to hammer out a deal or tag him.

bigbrewster2000
02-09-2009, 11:25 AM
Don't be so sure. All it took for the Falcons last year was one big name FA. They landed the best FA running back and used that in combination with a coaching change and draft to totally turn around their team

There is a big difference between the two teams situations. The Falcons were devastated by a lame duck head coah and some underacheiving play throughout the team. So a new head coach comes in and gives them something to believe in. They had a pretty good roster but added a high end RB and a QB that could basicall manage the game as a rookie. Thats why theyturned around. They were not devoid of talent. Similar situation in Miami. Detroit is devoid of talen. They will likely need more than 1 season to turn it around.

gtexan02
02-09-2009, 11:29 AM
There is a big difference between the two teams situations. The Falcons were devastated by a lame duck head coah and some underacheiving play throughout the team. So a new head coach comes in and gives them something to believe in. They had a pretty good roster but added a high end RB and a QB that could basicall manage the game as a rookie. Thats why theyturned around. They were not devoid of talent. Similar situation in Miami. Detroit is devoid of talen. They will likely need more than 1 season to turn it around.

Its easy to say that now, but at the start of this season, no one thought Miami and Atlanta had good talent on their rosters.

A good coaching staff and a few key players can make everyone around them play better. I think Detroit will be terrible again next year, but after this year, I will no longer be surprised when a team does a complete 180

PHAROAH
02-09-2009, 11:51 AM
Why leave and the Texans are coming up. The Texans will franchise this guy there is no way the Texans let him out of Houston but if they do the secondary will suffer big time!!!!!