PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs hire Haley as new HC

Errant Hothy
02-06-2009, 12:21 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6250035.html

KANSAS CITY, Mo. Todd Haley has been hired as coach of the Kansas City Chiefs after helping the Arizona Cardinals reach the Super Bowl.

WWJD
02-06-2009, 04:24 PM
Just another "flavor of the month" hire.

With all the qualified guys out there I sure would have gone a different direction. With somebody that has actually been a HC somewhere before.

ChampionTexan
02-06-2009, 04:57 PM
Just another "flavor of the month" hire.

With all the qualified guys out there I sure would have gone a different direction. With somebody that has actually been a HC somewhere before.

Big Chiefs fan (grew up there), and I respectfully disagree.

First, the Chiefs just got rid of the exact type of coach you describe, and he was as despised in that city as any coach I remember (not quite Matt Millen despised, but not too far off). Secondly, I don't think a John Gruden, Mike Holmgren type could have co-existed with Pioli, and I don't think that's what the Chiefs ownership was looking for when they brought him in. Finally, with Haley coaching for the Big Tuna at Dallas, and Pioli being his son-in-law, I'm thinking it's a pretty good bet that this guy has the Parcells seal of approval, and while I don't think much of him as a person, I respect the bejeebus out of him as a football guy.

As somebody who ranks the Chiefs only behind the Texans in my NFL favorites, I love this hire.

WWJD
02-06-2009, 05:50 PM

First, the Chiefs just got rid of the exact type of coach you describe, and he was as despised in that city as any coach I remember (not quite Matt Millen despised, but not too far off). Secondly, I don't think a John Gruden, Mike Holmgren type could have co-existed with Pioli, and I don't think that's what the Chiefs ownership was looking for when they brought him in. Finally, with Haley coaching for the Big Tuna at Dallas, and Pioli being his son-in-law, I'm thinking it's a pretty good bet that this guy has the Parcells seal of approval, and while I don't think much of him as a person, I respect the bejeebus out of him as a football guy.

As somebody who ranks the Chiefs only behind the Texans in my NFL favorites, I love this hire.

Well I hope it works out. I just would have gone in a different direction but they didn't ask me! :)

nunusguy
02-06-2009, 06:05 PM

I to am a Chiefs fan as I grew up in St. Joe, 'bout 50 clicks up I-29 from KC.
I still follow them and wish I could get the games down here on TV Sundays
along with the Texans.
Chief fans are among the best anyway, anyplace, anytime and I only hope this new hire turns their team around, because they've got a great histroy and a great franchise and its time to turn things around and start their winning wayas again.
But I dunno, wonder if the new HC thinks enough of Leinert to deal for him to run the Chiefs offense ?

ChampionTexan
02-06-2009, 06:16 PM
along with the Texans.
Chief fans are among the best anyway, anyplace, anytime and I only hope this new hire turns their team around, because they've got a great histroy and a great franchise and its time to turn things around and start their winning wayas again.
But I dunno, wonder if the new HC thinks enough of Leinert to deal for him to run the Chiefs offense ?

I guess we'll find out, and you hear quite a bit about the Chiefs working a trade for Cassel given that Pioli's there.

My guess is that a guy who was involved in obtaining Brady in round 6 and Cassel in round 7 (when he came out of SoCal as Leinart's backup), might not feel compelled to use first round picks to procure his QB of the future.

If nothing else, it will be an interesting off-season.

WWJD
02-06-2009, 06:21 PM
along with the Texans.

Chief fans are among the very best but I'd have to put Packer Nation first.

edo783
02-06-2009, 06:29 PM
Chief fans are among the very best but I'd have to put Packer Nation first.

Yup, best around.