PDA

View Full Version : Salary Cap details

dalemurphy
02-05-2009, 01:21 PM
I spent some time looking over our 2009 cap at inthebullseye.com and have some observations:

If we cut: AGreen, Greenwood, Demps, Chris Brown, ESalaam we gain an additional $7.5 million under the cap- that number puts us between $35 and $40 million under the cap.

1. Weaver would actually cost us $2 million to cut him, so he'll likely stay on the team unless we have room after all the moves and they want him gone.

2. We need to sign/re-sign/tender the following players:
a- D Robinson- ($4 million) if we sign him to a pretty big deal, it's unlikely that his cap number in '09 will be anything more than $4 million... Winston's new deal last year cost less than $2 million on the '08 cap. In a 4-6 year deal, usually the first year or two of salary is quite small, so you're primarily only being charged for the bonus money divided by the number of years.

b- D.Ryans- ($2 million) this would be an extension. Our '09 cap figure already counts him about $1.5 mil against the cap. So, if we tear it up and give him a new one, it shouldn't add more than $1- $2 million to the cap for '09

c- ODaniels- ($2 million) is about the cost of a high tender. I doubt he'd cost the team more than that, even if he gets a new deal.

d- KWalter- - ($1 million) he already counting $2 million against the cap this year... So, let's say the redo him and give him 5 years and over $20 million with a $10 million signing bonus.... the bonus will only count the same amount in '09 as he was scheduled to count against the cap... you can figure another $1 million or so in base salary for the first season

e- RButler/Dreesen/CWhite/DAnderson/CCBrown ($5 million) we'll bring most of these RFA/UFA back for moderate deals that wouldn't count more than a total of $5 million in '09.

So, if you tally that all up, after all that work the team would still be $20- $25 million under the cap. If you figure another $5 million for the draft picks, we still have over $15 million to spend on outside FAs. So, basically, the front office can go after anyone it wants and has very little concerns regarding the '09 cap. And, with Schaub, AJ, Mario, Winston all signed and happy through at least 2011, this team is in a very healthy cap situation for the next few years.

gtexan02
02-05-2009, 01:35 PM
The only thing I'll point out is that any new contract we sign will probably be heavily backloaded to incorporate the uncapped year coming up. This would reinforce your point about DRobs salary

badboy
02-05-2009, 02:03 PM
I disagree only with your numbers on Demeco. He too will get a huge up front bonus but as you say with DR it will not hurt us. I have been pushing the arguement for 2 years that we can go after basically whom ever we want and have the $. It is just Kubes history to sign middle of the roaders which segues into my thread on lower round draft choices versus 1sts & 2nds. Many have said we can't afford Asomugha, but we can. I have even offered a trade scenario to get around the free agency and loss of two firsts. It can be done.

Kaiser Toro
02-05-2009, 02:22 PM
I spent some time looking over our 2009 cap at inthebullseye.com and have some observations:

1. Weaver would actually cost us $2 million to cut him, so he'll likely stay on the team unless we have room after all the moves and they want him gone.

How did you figure that? I see us getting a 800k good guy by poppin a cap in his contract's arse. The allocated signing bonus for 2009 shows up as 2.7m, the allocation for 2008 was 2.7m, so it would be reasonable to deduce that 2.7m would be the case in 2010 as well.

Therefore, with two years left on the contract he would have an allocation of 5.4m, while his cap hit for 2009 would be 6.2m. Cut him and we save 800k for 2009, the question is can we bring someone in who would give us the same amount of production for 800k?

ChampionTexan
02-05-2009, 02:23 PM

If we cut: AGreen, Greenwood, Demps, Chris Brown, ESalaam we gain an additional $7.5 million under the cap- that number puts us between $35 and $40 million under the cap.

e- RButler/Dreesen/CWhite/DAnderson/CCBrown ($5 million) we'll bring most of these RFA/UFA back for moderate deals that wouldn't count more than a total of $5 million in '09.

So, if you tally that all up, after all that work the team would still be $20- $25 million under the cap. If you figure another $5 million for the draft picks, we still have over $15 million to spend on outside FAs. So, basically, the front office can go after anyone it wants and has very little concerns regarding the '09 cap. And, with Schaub, AJ, Mario, Winston all signed and happy through at least 2011, this team is in a very healthy cap situation for the next few years.

We went round and round about this last year, and I'm not going to re-hash it with you. When you consider that cutting Salaam saves less than $1MM on the cap, and when you consider that you're going to have to pay something to fill his roster spot - even if it's the NFL minimum, they aren't going to cut Salaam because of salary cap issues.

If they decide he's no longer productive (including any mentoring that he may be willing/able to do), then he'll be gone, but considering that Butler was on the 53 man roster all 16 games last year, and wasn't active for one of them, I'm having a hard time believing they're gonna get rid of Salaam unless they have some other replacement in mind.

badboy
02-05-2009, 02:25 PM
How did you figure that? I see us getting a 800k good guy by poppin a cap in his contract's arse. The allocated signing bonus for 2009 shows up as 2.7m, the allocation for 2008 was 2.7m, so it would be reasonable to deduce that 2.7m would be the case in 2010 as well.

Therefore, with two years left on the contract he would have an allocation of 5.4m, while his cap hit for 2009 would be 6.2m. Cut him and we save 800k for 2009, and have 2.7m of dead money next year in 2010. The question is can we bring someone in who would give us the same amount of production for 800k?
You have mentioned this on other threads & I agree. I want Weaver gonne even if dead $ exists. Give one of the young guys who at least get in same time zone as the QB a chance.

dalemurphy
02-05-2009, 02:37 PM

Therefore, with two years left on the contract he would have an allocation of 5.4m, while his cap hit for 2009 would be 6.2m. Cut him and we save 800k for 2009, and have 2.7m of dead money next year in 2010. The question is can we bring someone in who would give us the same amount of production for 800k?

You're right. When I figured his cap hit if he makes the team, I wasn't adding the '09 portion of his bonus... Basically, it would be a wash if he was cut. You're right.

Kaiser Toro
02-05-2009, 02:38 PM
You have mentioned this on other threads & I agree. I want Weaver gonne even if dead $ exists. Give one of the young guys who at least get in same time zone as the QB a chance.

Actually I just edited my post as we would not have the 2.7m allocation in 2010 since we would recognize all of the dead money in 2009. But we would still have a 800k good guy in 2009.

dalemurphy
02-05-2009, 02:41 PM
We went round and round about this last year, and I'm not going to re-hash it with you. When you consider that cutting Salaam saves less than $1MM on the cap, and when you consider that you're going to have to pay something to fill his roster spot - even if it's the NFL minimum, they aren't going to cut Salaam because of salary cap issues.

If they decide he's no longer productive (including any mentoring that he may be willing/able to do), then he'll be gone, but considering that Butler was on the 53 man roster all 16 games last year, and wasn't active for one of them, I'm having a hard time believing they're gonna get rid of Salaam unless they have some other replacement in mind.

According to McClain, Gibbs is very high on Butler. I've also heard Kubiak praise him last year. Furthermore, I watched the preseason and he looked great. He is extremely athletic. Butler is a RFA. If they want to keep him they'll need to give him a moderate tender or sign him to a multiyear contract. If they do that, it will be a vote of confidence. Salaam is another year older and so is Butler- both of those things combined with the contract situation make it likely that Salaam will be gone.

badboy
02-05-2009, 03:24 PM
Actually I just edited my post as we would not have the 2.7m allocation in 2010 since we would recognize all of the dead money in 2009. But we would still have a 800k good guy in 2009.That amount of dead $ to get rid of Weaver is well worth it whichever year. I did think it was 2010.

badboy
02-05-2009, 03:25 PM
According to McClain, Gibbs is very high on Butler. I've also heard Kubiak praise him last year. Furthermore, I watched the preseason and he looked great. He is extremely athletic. Butler is a RFA. If they want to keep him they'll need to give him a moderate tender or sign him to a multiyear contract. If they do that, it will be a vote of confidence. Salaam is another year older and so is Butler- both of those things combined with the contract situation make it likely that Salaam will be gone.I will not be surprised to see some options at tackle broguth in to camp either late in draft or FA. I like Salaam but at some point...

JayCee
02-06-2009, 02:23 AM
question - once a player is cut; is all the remaining guaranteed money payed out against the next year's salary cap?

dalemurphy
02-06-2009, 09:40 AM
question - once a player is cut; is all the remaining guaranteed money payed out against the next year's salary cap?

Yes, usually. However, it can also be divided into the upcoming season and the next if the cut happens after June 1- I think a provision was made a couple years ago to designate up to two cuts made before June 1 as June cuts... That won't be an issue for the Texans this year, other than the fact that we still have some residual money against the cap from: Colvin, CSpencer, Jameel Cook.

You really ought to check out inthebullseye.com and clip on Salary Cap. It's a wonderful site that lays it all out.

badboy
02-06-2009, 10:33 AM
McNair has said in the past if Kubes and Smith want a player, he will pay the bucks. We have the $ under the cap. It comes down to historically, we do not go after impact players that cost.

PHAROAH
02-08-2009, 05:45 AM
looking good cap wise.

dalemurphy
02-08-2009, 10:37 AM
McNair has said in the past if Kubes and Smith want a player, he will pay the bucks. We have the $ under the cap. It comes down to historically, we do not go after impact players that cost.

Well, we've been in some cap trouble since 2006 because we were throwing big money at guys: TWade, Robaire Smith, MGreenwood- they just all stunk!

All three of those contracts were done in 2004-2005 and were bigger, along with Weaver (Casserly's last FA), than the JReeves or AGreen deal. This year we should see the team target some guys with real money this year. Hopefully Smith and Kubiak are more adept at it than the previous regime... I have little doubt that they will be.

TheRealJoker
02-08-2009, 10:53 AM
For some reason, the only big name impact player I see us realistically getting would be Shane Lechler.

It would be nice to go out and sign Asamougha, Peppers, or Fat Albert to a record breaking contract but that's the quickest way into cap hell and having a player underperforming their contract.

We get Lechler though... sure it'll probably be a record breaker for punters but that's affordable and he's the best in the league at his position. From that point forward we dominate field position against whomever we play with all that special teams talent.

dalemurphy
02-08-2009, 11:21 AM
For some reason, the only big name impact player I see us realistically getting would be Shane Lechler.

It would be nice to go out and sign Asamougha, Peppers, or Fat Albert to a record breaking contract but that's the quickest way into cap hell and having a player underperforming their contract.

We get Lechler though... sure it'll probably be a record breaker for punters but that's affordable and he's the best in the league at his position. From that point forward we dominate field position against whomever we play with all that special teams talent.

I agree that it's unlikely we bid for Peppers or Haynesworth. However, guys in the KDansby, Leroy Hill, Sean Jones range is what I expect. Not neccessarily those guys specifically, but guys that will be in demand for signifcant contracts but not looking to be the highest paid player in the league.

Lucky
02-08-2009, 11:38 AM
Really? The Texans were tied for the 4th fewest punts in 2008. I don't see a lot of value in signing a high priced punter, here.

TheRealJoker
02-10-2009, 08:48 PM
Really? The Texans were tied for the 4th fewest punts in 2008. I don't see a lot of value in signing a high priced punter, here.

There's plenty of value late in the game when we are pinned deep in our own territory trying to hold a lead and need the punter to flip the field. Or to nail the coffin corner punt. Or anytime you punt to know that the opposing offense is gonna have to drive over 60 yards to the endzone no matter where on the field you punt.

Saying that there is no value in getting the best player at his position in the NFL is just crazy talk imo.

Lucky
02-11-2009, 06:27 AM
There's plenty of value late in the game when we are pinned deep in our own territory trying to hold a lead and need the punter to flip the field. Or to nail the coffin corner punt.
There was 6 yards/punt difference in field position beetween Lechler and Matt Turk, last season. Considering that the Texans averaged about 3.3 punts/game, that's about 20 yards a game.

I'm not suggesting that the Texans couldn't use an upgrade at punter. Just that it makes zero sense for them to make Shane Lechler the highest paid punter in the game.

gtexan02
02-23-2009, 08:06 AM
I was looking at inthebullseye, and it appears theyve updated the page to reflect the 2010 cap information.

Yikes. Mario has a 16 million dollar figure!

badboy
02-23-2009, 12:03 PM
I was looking at inthebullseye, and it appears theyve updated the page to reflect the 2010 cap information.

Yikes. Mario has a 16 million dollar figure!He had favorable cap (for Texans) years for his firstfew years. It is now starting to catch up. Remember he was given an extension bonus of approximately $12m to lower his base years.