PDA

View Full Version : Richie J at it again - blasts GM Rick Smith as insecure, vindictive

nunusguy
02-03-2009, 07:24 AM
As for GM Rick Smith, I don't think he's very good now and don't think he's going to be very good a decade from now. He's insecure, vindictive and has made one bad decision after another in free agency. In fairness, the Texans have drafted well.
http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2009/02/post_19.html
I dunno, but guess he's still miffed about Smith canning his buddy who was the Texans strength-coach/Trainer ?

b0ng
02-03-2009, 07:28 AM
Sounds like your boy has an agenda with his blog entries.

Not going to give the guy a web hit here.

TimeKiller
02-03-2009, 07:35 AM
I don't get the uh..."central point" of his article. He probably wrote a couple different ones for review, the Rick Smith bash, the Houston should feel humiliated because I say so, the I can't figure out if I'm going to bash McNair or not, and the I'm going to ***** about seat prices even though mine are cheap as free....then just mixed paragraphs in from each one until a minimal amount of cohesiveness appeared. DONE. PRINT. NEXT. ESPN INTERVIEW FOR 3.8 seconds.

How he gets away with such poor, poor journalism is beyond me. I mean, anyone can read it...I assume the people who own a newspaper company can read...don't they read their own paper? Don't they know he's just opening his noise-hole and letting whatever comes out just come out?

Kaiser Toro
02-03-2009, 07:41 AM
It is simply a blog, not journalism.

Txn_in_Oki
02-03-2009, 07:42 AM
How he gets away with such poor, poor journalism is beyond me. I mean, anyone can read it...I assume the people who own a newspaper company can read...don't they read their own paper? Don't they know he's just opening his noise-hole and letting whatever comes out just come out?

He claims that his "blog" is a place for him to share his opinion and his "ariticles" are the real journalism. To me it's complete b.s., if you work at a news site and publish your articles on a news site you can't expect people to make out the difference between what you claim is objective journalism and which is your opinion. If you're going to blog about your disdain for someone do it off site, on your own page, on your own web site. He comes of as a baby and a *****, especially when he starts with the name calling.

It's just very schizo and growing really old. This is one that I won't read and I won't give the satisfaction of giving it a hit.

TEXANS84
02-03-2009, 08:09 AM
I really think Justice is bi-polar. One minuite he's praising the organization and says they are headed in the right direction, then the other minuite he's blasting the owner who brought football back to Houston saying the team will go nowhere as long as Smith is GM.

Justice needs to be let go from the Chronicle. Nothing that I read of his has any volume or credibility to back up his actions. There's no wonder why most of the Astros organization hated him.

Shoot, when TC posts on her blogs...she backs up arguments with facts, not random guesses and wild comments. It's cold hard facts, the way people were used to reading articles.

ArlingtonTexan
02-03-2009, 08:26 AM
I really think Justice is bi-polar. One minuite he's praising the organization and says they are headed in the right direction, then the other minuite he's blasting the owner who brought football back to Houston saying the team will go nowhere as long as Smith is GM.

Justice needs to be let go from the Chronicle. Nothing that I read of his has any volume or credibility to back up his actions. There's no wonder why most of the Astros organization hated him.

Shoot, when TC posts on her blogs...she backs up arguments with facts, not random guesses and wild comments. It's cold hard facts, the way people were used to reading articles.

This why the attack on Rick smith is without any legitimate merit. since Justice can't provide with any more details that the ex-strength coach did not agree with something Smith (his boss) wanted him to do, so to continue to publish the Rick Smith is insecure and vindictive is well insecure and vindictive. We don't have the details of how this was handled by either side and even if rick smith did not react in the best way, going against the boss' wishes generally does not end well for the individual

Jackie Chiles
02-03-2009, 08:43 AM

It really wasn't that long ago when he was saying they had the best management of the three franchises in town. I read his stuff because I read anything Texans related but I have found myself skimming through a lot of his pieces lately because I just can't tell when he is using his tongue-in-cheek style anymore. It really is mentally exhausting.

Hardcore Texan
02-03-2009, 08:55 AM
I'll join the "not going to give the douche a web hit" club. Screw 'em, he's a joke, I'm not going to get fired up over his drivel. He just needs to be bitchslapped a time or two.

Honoring Earl 34
02-03-2009, 09:11 AM
If you want to hurt him , tune him out . Heck go to Texans_Chick's blog on the same page and make comments by the dozen .

HOU-TEX
02-03-2009, 09:24 AM
Hey, another Justice thread......awesome. :rolleyes:

False Start
02-03-2009, 09:24 AM
I'll join the "not going to give the douche a web hit" club. Screw 'em, he's a joke, I'm not going to get fired up over his drivel. He just needs to be bitchslapped a time or two.

DAMN! :yikes: :heh:

I agree the guy is a nozzle. It sucks that we only have one paper in town.

Errant Hothy
02-03-2009, 09:25 AM

If you want to hurt him , tune him out . Heck go to Texans_Chick's blog on the same page and make comments by the dozen .

Both are exactly what I plan to do. I've learned my leason with RJ, neveragain.

SheTexan
02-03-2009, 09:27 AM
He's just pissed cause his buddy Riley got the ax. We all know who's vindictive, and he uses "freedom of speech" to blubber his bulls*it!!

GP
02-03-2009, 09:52 AM
I have never gone to any of RJ's stuff. The only things of his that I have read is from the quoted snippets of his stuff that you guys paste into the posts.

I would never hit one of his masterpieces. I suggest everyone else do the same. Maybe we need a rotation, a system where one person a week (on here) dutifully goes and hits his stuff and then copies and pastes into this forum so we can catalog and discuss his latest tizzy. That way it's only getting one hit from the people who post here, helping to keep the hit count lower than normal.

LOL. "It's my turn to shovel RJ's poop. I hate being on call. But someone has to do it."

Malloy
02-03-2009, 09:58 AM
I thought about writing a letter to the editor, as a foreigner interested in Houston sports (Texans specifically), his 'coverage' is borderline imbarrasing for the Chronicle.

El Tejano
02-03-2009, 10:32 AM
I hate how he says Rick Smith had failure after failure in Free Agency. Who did he miss on. Demps came in almost ad midway and did a decent job, even earned Pro Bowl alternate, Cochran and Maddox came in and filled in nicely, Briesel came in 06 after the 3rd game of the season and has worked his way into being a starter, Andre Davis is the best kick returner we ever had and filled in nicely for AJ in 07(Mathis was pretty good for us too). Ahman Green was a gamble and though he didn't work out for us, he did do good things when he played. He had to take that risk even with Chris Brown because when you only have Darius Walker, Ron Dayne and Chris Taylor you have to take something.

powerfuldragon
02-03-2009, 10:38 AM
he just wants readers.

TexanSam
02-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Do any of the other Chronicle writers who have their own blog bash others as much as Richard Justice does? I only read a few of them, mainly Jonathan Feigen and Fran Blinebury. Sometimes McClain. I don't know if any of them publicly bash athletes, coaches, or GM's like Richard Smith does. It's one thing to criticize someone but Justice takes it to another level. It's pretty ridiculous.

steelbtexan
02-03-2009, 11:24 AM
I think Justice stinks.

Smith has done well with street FA's

Smith needs to fire Greir because Greir is going to be Smiths downfall if Greir continue to screw up UFA.

If the Texans want to keep their loyal fan base they need to get UFA & the draft right this year.

Fire Bobby Greir

bah007
02-03-2009, 11:29 AM
Justice is a hack.

We all know this already.

I have no desire to read a word of his scribble. I wrote better articles for my junior high newspaper when I was 12 years old.

Carr Bombed
02-03-2009, 01:39 PM
After reading this paragraph....As for GM Rick Smith, I don't think he's very good now and don't think he's going to be very good a decade from now. He's insecure, vindictive and has made one bad decision after another in free agency. In fairness, the Texans have drafted well.

This is the response that I wrote him.......I doubt he posts it in his blog comments.

As for journalist Dick Justice, I don't think he's very good now and don't think he's going to be very good a decade from now. He's insecure, vindictive, because a NFL franchise decided to move on without his favorite strength and conditioning coach and the offensive line coach won't talk to him. He has made one bad decision after another in his blogs. In fairness, the Chron can still sell papers, but I'm sure them being the only paper in town has something to do with that.

See how that works Dick? You should really hold yourself to a higher standard, it's sad that the only major paper in this city is nothing, but a tabloid that sits in the bottom of my bird cage.

Texan_Bill
02-03-2009, 02:05 PM
After reading this paragraph....

This is the response that I wrote him.......I doubt he posts it in his blog comments.

Nice!!!

:potkettle:

Big Lou
02-03-2009, 02:12 PM
Can someone make some, "FIRE RICHARD JUSTICE" soap!!!!!

This guy is a first class douche bag. I wish he would quit and go write in Oakland or something.

OK, we get it already you don't like, Gary, or Rick, or Bob, then shut the F___ up and go write a Dear Abbey Column or something.

I live in Vegas so all I get to see is generally on the local sights since the Texans don't get a lot of national exposure. It sucks to only get crap like what he writes!!!!! :foottap:

Texans_Chick
02-03-2009, 02:17 PM
He claims that his "blog" is a place for him to share his opinion and his "ariticles" are the real journalism. To me it's complete b.s., if you work at a news site and publish your articles on a news site you can't expect people to make out the difference between what you claim is objective journalism and which is your opinion. If you're going to blog about your disdain for someone do it off site, on your own page, on your own web site. He comes of as a baby and a *****, especially when he starts with the name calling.

It's just very schizo and growing really old. This is one that I won't read and I won't give the satisfaction of giving it a hit.

I've heard that point of view before. That articles are edited and blogs aren't so therefore they are not journalism. I disagree with this point of view.

Personally, I believe that blogs or newspapers or TV is just a medium. They are just different methods of communicating facts, opinions and analysis. They all have upsides and downsides.

The benefit of a blog is that you are not limited by newsprint space or time. The turnaround time can be very fast. You can also link to other things that might be of interest to readers and give them a fuller view of the topic. You can also touch on minor stories that wouldn't be seen as worthy of news.

The downside of blogs is that there are so many of them and with no editing and the immediacy, sometimes people say irresponsible things. There is little quality control other than the author caring that what they say is accurate. It's one reason why bloggers as a group have a poor reputation.

Personally, I believe that professional journalists don't take off their professionalism hat when they blog. That they can't just say "Woooowweeeee, I'm a wild and crazy blogger so I can say whatever I want no matter the consequences or damage to someone's reputation." I mean, I guess they can actually do that, but that it damages their credibility.

Nobody compartmentalizes their thoughts about journalists that way. A journalist writing for a blog certainly can be much less formal, but I don't think that any readers say to themselves--gee I can trust what this guy says in the newspaper but I can't trust what he says in his blog.

Texans_Chick
02-03-2009, 02:22 PM
Can someone make some, "FIRE RICHARD JUSTICE" soap!!!!!

This guy is a first class douche bag. I wish he would quit and go write in Oakland or something.

OK, we get it already you don't like, Gary, or Rick, or Bob, then shut the F___ up and go write a Dear Abbey Column or something.

I live in Vegas so all I get to see is generally on the local sights since the Texans don't get a lot of national exposure. It sucks to only get crap like what he writes!!!!! :foottap:

If you don't care for what he writes, you can always contact the sports editor (sptletters@chron.com).

Any time you write a complaint letter, it is more likely to be read with interest if it is polite and contains factual statements and concerns.

Maddict5
02-03-2009, 03:09 PM

:goodpost:

yep... i can guess what he said without having to give his page a hit to see that tired old ****

Maddict5
02-03-2009, 03:10 PM
If you don't care for what he writes, you can always contact the sports editor (sptletters@chron.com).

Any time you write a complaint letter, it is more likely to be read with interest if it is polite and contains factual statements and concerns.

why give him the attention and effort of a complaint.. just ignore him and he'll go away

Honoring Earl 34
02-03-2009, 03:29 PM
http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/76/76599/folders/238878/1926223wkrp.jpg

Texans_Chick
02-03-2009, 03:38 PM
why give him the attention and effort of a complaint.. just ignore him and he'll go away

Actually, sometimes if you politely and responsibly make a complaint, it can make a difference.

GP
02-03-2009, 03:56 PM
I've heard that point of view before. That articles are edited and blogs aren't so therefore they are not journalism. I disagree with this point of view.

Personally, I believe that blogs or newspapers or TV is just a medium. They are just different methods of communicating facts, opinions and analysis. They all have upsides and downsides.

The benefit of a blog is that you are not limited by newsprint space or time. The turnaround time can be very fast. You can also link to other things that might be of interest to readers and give them a fuller view of the topic. You can also touch on minor stories that wouldn't be seen as worthy of news.

The downside of blogs is that there are so many of them and with no editing and the immediacy, sometimes people say irresponsible things. There is little quality control other than the author caring that what they say is accurate. It's one reason why bloggers as a group have a poor reputation.

Personally, I believe that professional journalists don't take off their professionalism hat when they blog. That they can't just say "Woooowweeeee, I'm a wild and crazy blogger so I can say whatever I want no matter the consequences or damage to someone's reputation." I mean, I guess they can actually do that, but that it damages their credibility.

Nobody compartmentalizes their thoughts about journalists that way. A journalist writing for a blog certainly can be much less formal, but I don't think that any readers say to themselves--gee I can trust what this guy says in the newspaper but I can't trust what he says in his blog.

There is supposed to be straight journalism (factual writing of the story, such as about a game with all the stats and some quotes from players/coaches). This is how you know about the outcome of an event.

And then there is supposed to be commentary articles, such as RJ's stuff, which I feel includes his newsprint articles, his online "blog," and any other attempt by the author to have a venue of expression...to say what he thinks, what he feels, and his overall opinion on anything at all.

ESPN, in my opinion, ushered in the era of the sensationalist commentary-style "journalist," the sort of people who do the journalistic equivalent of excessive celebration after scoring a touchdown, or hanging on the rim after a dunk, or mocking someone while running the bases after a homerun. It's all a show, it's all part of a schtick that's intended to celebrate self.

I had an old school journalist professor in college--scruffy beard, unkempt hair, chewing on a cigar, wrinkled slacks that hadn't been washed or ironed in weeks--and he was a guy who was old school journalist. He taught us things such as "Follow the money. That's where the meat of the story is at: Who stands to gain, who stands to lose, etc." and "If it bleeds, it leads," meaning that bloody news is what gets the headlines. It was the A,B,Cs of journalism: How to edit, how to write with fact AND flair, how to write a good headline, and all the crossing of the T's and dotting of the I's.

These days, you have people who are better suited to be on Entertainment Tonight than on a sports show. It's amazing. Skip Bayless and the goobers on Around The Horn are great examples. Instead of just reading their stories in print...there they are: On TV, acting like clowns. It's a parade of idiotic attention grabbing. So much so, that you and I can easily pick out which people are doing their jobs and which aren't. For example, there is no way Kornheiser is on MNF because of his journalistic aptitude. Jaws, on the other hand, and Tirico, seem to have done some background work and seem to really add to the game and have the ability to speak sensibly. There are few, today, who seem to really do their homework and who approach the job with honor. It's why I didn't pursue a career in journalism, because it is extremely exhausting and consuming...unlike people like RJ who shoot from the hip and ask questions later.

RJ is just a hack. Period. And if his bosses love the hits he gets, even though he's got no substance, then that tells you a lot about the entire newspaper. Then the infection is deeper than one guy. No sensible editor is going to have a bull-in-the-china-closet guy like RJ...for long. Keeping him around, through all the things he's pulled ("R.I.P. Astros," and the Rick Smith stuff) is very telling. People ought to disown the whole newspaper. All of it. Because he's not even doing a good job of keeping some semblance of living in reality like the rest of us. When I think I get things really wrong on here, and people think I'm a dork, and I know I goofed on a stance I took on something...I just remember RJ and it makes me feel better.

sbalderrama
02-03-2009, 04:04 PM
" I think Gary Kubiak has a chance to be a first-rate NFL coach. We have to understand he had a lot to learn when he got the job. He'd never been a head coach or a coordinator. He'd called plays only on a limited basis."

What the hell did Gary do for his last 11 seasons then, when Denver had him listed as the "offensive coordinator"?

m5kwatts
02-03-2009, 04:09 PM
Can we stop posting these blog articles from Richard Justice? Fellas, he's not gonna get fired if we keep reading it.. BOYCOTT RICHARD JUSTICE

Texans_Chick
02-03-2009, 04:22 PM
" I think Gary Kubiak has a chance to be a first-rate NFL coach. We have to understand he had a lot to learn when he got the job. He'd never been a head coach or a coordinator. He'd called plays only on a limited basis."

What the hell did Gary do for his last 11 seasons then, when Denver had him listed as the "offensive coordinator"?

He contends that though Kubiak had the title of OC, that really Shanahan ran the offense and that Kubiak was never acted as a "real offensive coordinator."

However, that flies in the face of everything that I've heard and read about Kubiak's role on the team, especially after Shanahan turned over playcalling. I've asked people who know and who are close to Kubiak's years with Denver, and they say that the contention RJ is making is not accurate.

It is something that RJ has repeatedly said, but fails to say how he *knows* this.

FWIW.

mussop
02-03-2009, 04:45 PM
He's just pissed cause his buddy Riley got the ax. We all know who's vindictive, and he uses "freedom of speech" to blubber his bulls*it!!

Im starting to think that they were more than just buddies. Take a look at RJ, he does have a homosexual look to him. Not that there is anything wrong with that! Just sayin.

Throw me on the dont give him another hit bandwagon.

sbalderrama
02-03-2009, 04:50 PM
He contends that though Kubiak had the title of OC, that really Shanahan ran the offense and that Kubiak was never acted as a "real offensive coordinator."

I don't think even Shanahan would have paid Kubes to be a "paper coordinator" for 11 years. I lived in Denver throughout Kubes tenure, and in the early years it might have been true, but it didn't seem that way as time went on.

dalemurphy
02-03-2009, 05:14 PM
I don't think even Shanahan would have paid Kubes to be a "paper coordinator" for 11 years. I lived in Denver throughout Kubes tenure, and in the early years it might have been true, but it didn't seem that way as time went on.

It's ridiculous that this is even an issue. According to Shanahan, the players from those teams, and from Kubiak, Kubiak eventually took over the playcalling- much like is happening in Houston with Kyle. The only reason anyone would assert differently is if he had a malevolent relationship with the truth, which is RJ has.

Revolution
02-03-2009, 05:15 PM
I have officially joined the do not give him a web hit club. This is the best way to get him out of town. Can't take his crap anymore...

Double Barrel
02-03-2009, 06:53 PM
It is simply a blog, not journalism.

Ahhh, the old simply-a-blog-not-journalism routine.

Good ol' Dick Justice...sounds like the sheriff of Gaytown!

I have an article that is an interview with Steve Spurrier when he was the HC of the Redskins. In it, Spurrier is talking about delegating to his coordinators, and he mentions a conversation with Shanahan, who told him that the Broncos started winning Super Bowls after he handed over offensive playcalling to Kubiak.

Justice is an asshat, and an ignorant one at that. This is basic yellow dog journalism at it's finest/worst.

b0ng
02-03-2009, 08:31 PM
I have an article that is an interview with Steve Spurrier when he was the HC of the Redskins. In it, Spurrier is talking about delegating to his coordinators, and he mentions a conversation with Shanahan, who told him that the Broncos started winning Super Bowls after he handed over offensive playcalling to Kubiak.

Justice is an asshat, and an ignorant one at that. This is basic yellow dog journalism at it's finest/worst.

Not that I love Justice Journalism, but I would love to read that article.

IlliniJen
02-03-2009, 09:31 PM
I wish somebody would literally poop on his head. Then that would approximate his abilities as a writer and analyst.

b0ng
02-03-2009, 09:37 PM
I wish somebody would literally poop on his head. Then that would approximate his abilities as a writer and analyst.

I'd rather they leave a nice brown ragdoll sitting on his desk for everyone to see what his writing is truly about.

Honoring Earl 34
02-03-2009, 09:52 PM

http://barfblog.foodsafety.ksu.edu/pooping.on.people.jpg

Here's you a book Jen .

IlliniJen
02-03-2009, 10:10 PM
This whole thing just pisses me off.

MEDIOCRE PEOPLE GETTING OVER. Getting over and getting paid. For being mediocre. For being piss-poor, mediocre, cow-town writers in a big sports metropolis.

"Here's your tasteless, lifeless intellectual nougat, now where's my paycheck?"

Our sports writers are in a unique position few of us are EVER in - they have ACCESS to the teams and players we love. They can get in and ask the questions and deliver the news and analysis to us in ways we would love as fans, yet they fail us. Miserably. And get paid nicely for it.

They're just a big, huge, heaping helping of fail, with some steaming failsauce on the side. Smothered in fail gravy. With deep fried fail fritters.

Thank FSM for blogs and dedicated fans who do the job our "journalists" can't. Thank FSM for forums like TT.com where people can share ideas, however acid-dream-induced, and share news tidbits from around the web so we don't have to depend on the Chronic or ESPN for our sports fix.

IlliniJen
02-03-2009, 10:11 PM
Oops...sorry, double posted. Got caught in the nightly maintenance.

I too am covered with fail.

powerfuldragon
02-03-2009, 10:24 PM
Oops...sorry, double posted. Got caught in the nightly maintenance.

I too am covered with fail.

the maintenance is almost like the board telling us it's bedtime for normals.

michaelm
02-03-2009, 11:05 PM
the maintenance is almost like the board telling us it's bedtime for normals.

Kind of pointless, considering the complete lack of normals hear abouts.
What do we care about the normals???

Scooter
02-04-2009, 07:55 AM
:drunk:

Double Barrel
02-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Not that I love Justice Journalism, but I would love to read that article.

Here's one article that mentions Kubiak calling plays, but not the one that I'm referring to:

Spurrier Gets Some Shelter From Storm (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F07E1D81139F933A25752C1A9659C8B 63&n=Top%2FReference%2FTimes%20Topics%2FSubjects%2FF% 2FFootball)

Unfortunately, the link I have to the original article is broke, but I did copy the entire article (it is TT.com policy to post links, so I will, but obviously, it doesn't work anymore...)

Coles Saves the Redskins
Spurrier’s Gambles Pay Off in 27-20 Victory over Seattle
By Michael N. Graff
The Winchester Star

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LANDOVER, Md. — On the seventh play of the second quarter Sunday, the Washington Redskins’ week of desperate times and desperate measures almost reached a point of no return.

Seattle defensive back Damien Robinson sprinted down the sideline, carrying a ball that certainly wasn’t intended for him when Patrick Ramsey released it.

The only thing in front of Robinson was the end zone. In front of the Redskins was a 3-6 record, a fifth straight loss, another week of ridicule, and another season on the brink of disaster.

Behind was Laveranues Coles. The Redskins needed Coles’ speed in the offseason, so they gave him $35 million. They never knew they’d need it in a situation like this.

Coles said he wasn’t thinking of the gravity of the situation at the time. But when he chased down Robinson at the 2-yard line and stripped the ball, allowing teammate Randy Thomas to fall on it, Coles had rescued the Redskins from all things imminent.

“When you’re in a game, you’re not really thinking about the whole season,” Coles said. “You try not to get too far ahead of yourself.”

It’s far too early to tell if Coles’ play saved the season for the Redskins. But it certainly saved them on this day.

Washington scored a touchdown on its next drive — a 15-yard pass to Coles, no less. At 14-10, the Redskins were not only hanging around, they were back in the game. And they used that to win 27-20.

Redskins coach Steve Spurrier had hardly stepped up for his postgame press conference before proclaiming Coles’ play as the biggest of the game.

“Otherwise, we’re down 21-3 and look like we’re in dire straits and going nowhere,” Spurrier said.

The play was a microcosm of a week in which the Redskins — specifically Spurrier — made decisions like a team that was backed into a corner.

Early in the week, Spurrier resorted to asking advice from another head coach, Denver Broncos’ Mike Shanahan. Spurrier, portrayed by many as arrogant when it comes to his offense, wanted to know how Shanahan handled play-calling duties with Broncos’ offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak.

When Shanahan told Spurrier that the Broncos immediately won two Super Bowls when Kubiak took over calling plays, the second-year Redskins’ coach didn’t need any more convincing.

“I said, ‘Gosh, I’ll try anything to get us over the hump,’” Spurrier said.

So Washington offensive coordinator Hue Jackson came down from the coaches’ box and stood on the sideline Sunday, calling most of the plays and running them through Spurrier.

“If I have to bench the play caller, then I can do that,” Spurrier said. “So I benched myself.”

Said Jackson: “Coach didn’t bench himself. Coach is like every good coach. You get into a situation sometimes and you say, ‘Let’s do something different.’

“He said, ‘Coach, take a run at it.’ That’s a credit to him. A lot of guys wouldn’t do that. I’m just thankful I work for a guy like that.”

Jackson even gave a speech to the team Saturday night, something the players credited as motivational.

“Our players, regardless of what they say, I think they read (the criticism),” Jackson said. “And it kind of infiltrated inside of us. That was the message. You can’t worry about those things that are being said.”

There seemed to be no worries or safe-first-thinking after Coles’ play.

In a tie game late in the fourth quarter, Spurrier chose to go for a fourth-and-inches from the Redskins’ own 25-yard line.

“We needed to go try to win the game,” Spurrier later reasoned. “We didn’t need to hope.”

The game-winning trick play — where Ramsey slung a backward pass to wide receiver Rod Gardner, who threw across the field to wide open running back Trung Candidate — might have been more calculated than risky.

The Redskins ran a handful of wide receiver screens in the game, and the touchdown set up as a carbon copy. And Gardner was a former standout prep quarterback in Florida.

“I think we baited them into it the whole game,” Gardner said. “...Right now, I’m a hundred-percent quarterback rating for this year.”

The play set off a wild celebration on the Redskins’ side, where even Spurrier could be seen opening his first smile in over a month.

“I’m just happy for the coaches and my owner, Mr. (Daniel) Snyder,” Coles said. “He was taking such a beating in the papers, and coach Spurrier’s taking a beating in the papers.

“But hopefully they can get a good night’s rest tonight. That’s what’s important for me and my teammates, is that our coaches are happy. Because they take care of us.”

Added Spurrier: “I still think we’re right in there as good a team as most of them out there. We certainly haven’t played like a real good team thus far. But maybe this will get us a little momentum, confidence or whatever, to get a spark in us.”

Source: http://www.winchesterstar.com/TheWinchesterStar/031111/Sports_coles.asp

TexanSam
02-04-2009, 05:12 PM
Maybe this will come true in our case as well now than Kubiak has handed off play calling to Kyle Shanahan! :D

When Shanahan told Spurrier that the Broncos immediately won two Super Bowls when Kubiak took over calling plays, the second-year Redskins’ coach didn’t need any more convincing.

ubecool454
02-05-2009, 10:10 AM
As for GM Rick Smith, I don't think he's very good now and don't think he's going to be very good a decade from now. He's insecure, vindictive and has made one bad decision after another in free agency. In fairness, the Texans have drafted well.
http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2009/02/post_19.html
I dunno, but guess he's still miffed about Smith canning his buddy who was the Texans strength-coach/Trainer ?

Does anyone really listen to Richy Justice? If anyone does listen to Justice do they take him seriously. I usually just ignore his columns.

Shaft75
02-06-2009, 04:50 PM
Does someone know how to do one of those petitions online?

I would start one just to see him canned. His articles about the Texans are so freaking transparent and you just get sick of the vendetta this guy has against the organization.

ESAD2-14
02-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Does someone know how to do one of those petitions online?

I would start one just to see him canned. His articles about the Texans are so freaking transparent and you just get sick of the vendetta this guy has against the organization.

Vendetta being the key word there. He comes off as one of those kids you see in the store that sits in the aisle and starts throwing a tantrum because they did not get what they wanted.

Wolf
02-06-2009, 07:19 PM
I thought many times that I wanted to post on the stupidity of the thread, but then again, more hits he gets the better he feels and frankly, I feel the chron doesn't care , their computers are showing that his blog is getting people to read it (pos or neg) , and it is all about the exposure, it seems and not the content

bigfan77801
02-06-2009, 08:04 PM

Any one have Najeh's phone number?

Texans_Chick
02-06-2009, 08:54 PM
I thought many times that I wanted to post on the stupidity of the thread, but then again, more hits he gets the better he feels and frankly, I feel the chron doesn't care , their computers are showing that his blog is getting people to read it (pos or neg) , and it is all about the exposure, it seems and not the content

His biggest beef is that the Texans passed on players who would have gotten him on TV in 2006. He wants controversy and/or wins and is bitter that Texans stories aren't more fun to write:

See e.g. this recent comment (http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2009/02/kubiak_messed_u.html):

RJ:

[If ESPN wanted to create ratings, it wouldn't be making up something on the Texans. In terms of ratings, the Texans are about 36th in the NFL. Do you know how much TV time the Texans have cost me because they're so irrelevant? The Astros get me on TV. The Rockets get me on TV. The Longhorns get me on TV. The Texans? No! I may forgive, but I don't forget. Wait, is that I may forget but I won't forgive. Dangit.--Richard]

So you see, those of us who just want accurate and informative reporting and analysis have to put up with silly potstirring.

b0ng
02-07-2009, 12:06 AM
So you see, those of us who just want accurate and informative reporting and analysis have to put up with silly potstirring.

Oh no, see that's just his "schtick". He's being ironic and funny.

mexican_texan
02-07-2009, 12:27 AM
Anyone else notice Kubiak has given less and less information to McClain and Justice? McClain's articles are more guesses than reporting. I could tell he didn't like McClain from the postgame interviews I watched and I figured he wouldn't like Dickie J either.

mussop
02-07-2009, 12:34 AM
Anyone else notice Kubiak has given less and less information to McClain and Justice? McClain's articles are more guesses than reporting. I could tell he didn't like McClain from the postgame interviews I watched and I figured he wouldn't like Dickie J either.
Would you?

Texan JBZ
02-07-2009, 12:46 AM

Can't say I blame him too much. Both guys are hacks. I like McClain wayyy more than Dick, but both are very subpar imo. Lance and Stephanie are the only two bloggers that I read. The Chronic should be ashamed. Jerome Solomon is garbage, Anna-Megan stinks, Megan Manfull never has any useful info. Houston really deserves better. You have two guys who are on record as being Cowturd fans in Solomon and Dick writing for a Houston paper! WTF?!? Would this happen in Boston or New York? Could you have a guy who writes for a San Diego newspaper that is a flagrant Raiders fan? Hell no! Only in Houston baby. I can't stand it. McClain's chats are worthless. He doesn't know anything. His responses are useless. Dick Justice..well, my mama said that if you don't have anything to say nice. Personally, we as fans of Houston teams deserve more. Thank God for LZ and Texans Chick!

mexican_texan
02-07-2009, 12:52 AM
I like Megan Manfull. When a good lead comes in, guess who gets it? It's not Manfull or any of the lesser known, good writers. It's McClain or Justice, who aren't good writers, they're not good reporters, and they certainly aren't well respected. It's that kind of tactic used in journalism that's made me change my major from journalism to business.

b0ng
02-07-2009, 10:33 AM
I like Megan Manfull. When a good lead comes in, guess who gets it? It's not Manfull or any of the lesser known, good writers. It's McClain or Justice, who aren't good writers, they're not good reporters, and they certainly aren't well respected. It's that kind of tactic used in journalism that's made me change my major from journalism to business.

Actually it's almost always just McClain. I can't recall anything that Justice has scooped on the Texans.

Manfull isn't bad, but there's no analysis to her articles, just what the AP gives her. Solomon is OK, but is still on a way higher level of journalistic integrity than Justice.

McClain isn't terrible, but he's nowhere near good either. He gets some scoops, and occassionally has some decent info.

Vinny
02-07-2009, 10:43 AM
[If ESPN wanted to create ratings, it wouldn't be making up something on the Texans. In terms of ratings, the Texans are about 36th in the NFL. Do you know how much TV time the Texans have cost me because they're so irrelevant? The Astros get me on TV. The Rockets get me on TV. The Longhorns get me on TV. The Texans? No! I may forgive, but I don't forget. Wait, is that I may forget but I won't forgive. Dangit.--Richard]
So you see, those of us who just want accurate and informative reporting and analysis have to put up with silly potstirring. I think that paragraph pretty much sums up Justice.

infantrycak
02-07-2009, 04:43 PM

OK, Justice has officially earned the moniker--vituperative clown. VC for short.

mussop
02-07-2009, 05:14 PM
OK, Justice has officially earned the moniker--vituperative clown. VC for short.

And for those intellectually challenged like myself who dont use words like vituperative I submit Ass Hat. AH for short.

Cmon everyone join the party. Lets start a contest to find a new moniker for our fav houston sports writer.

awtysst
02-07-2009, 06:24 PM
And for those intellectually challenged like myself who dont use words like vituperative I submit Ass Hat. AH for short.

Cmon everyone join the party. Lets start a contest to find a new moniker for our fav houston sports writer.

Here is my entry:Addlepate Sanctimonious Serpent

We can call him an ASS for short!