PDA

View Full Version : If you were Detroit's GM..........

Hottoddie
02-01-2009, 03:08 PM
...., what would you do in the draft?

I'm not a Detroit fan, but I've noticed that the overwhelming majority of mocks have them taking Stafford with the #1 overall pick & I'm not so sure I would do that.

Detroit has two 1st round picks & the 1st pick in the 2nd round. They've got one of the best young WR's in the game in CJ & a pretty good RB tandem in Kevin Smith & Rudi Johnson. Their defense is in shambles, but I believe it wouldn't take a lot to dramatically improve their offense right away & that should help their defense.

Stafford is predicted to be a great QB, but without a strong OL, you could have another Carr wreck waiting to happen. With that, I believe you build from the trenches out. Detroit would be better off following Miami's lead from last year & taking the best franchise OT available with the #1 pick & put together an All-Pro caliber line. There's some debate as to which one that should be, but here's my opinion on what they should do with their first 3 picks.

1a) Andre Smith (OT)

1b) William Beatty (OT) or Eben Britton (OT) or Max Unger (G/C/OT) - I'm torn between Josh Freeman & Nate Davis, but decide to go get Davis in the 2nd & continue with rebuilding the OL.

2) Nate Davis (QB) - This might be a little early for Davis, but it secures a solid young QB to play behind a revamped offensive line.

Blake
02-01-2009, 03:34 PM
If I were Detroit I would take my QB of the future in Stafford and let him ride the pine for year 1.

I would take Duke Robinson, OG, Oklahoma with my 2nd first round pick, and William Beatty, OT, UConn or Eben Britton, OT, Arizona at the top of the 2nd.

thunderkyss
02-01-2009, 03:38 PM
It would be more apt to say they'd repeat the Joey Harrington ordeal if they were to draft a QB. But Stafford isn't Harrington, so you never really know.

Same thing with the Miami Comparison. Detroit isn't Miami, Smith is not Long, the Detroit isn't as stout as Miami's defense was pre pathetic loosing season, and Detroit's new coach isn't Tony Sparano.

If I were Detroits GM, I'd go with Malcom Jenkins with the #1 overall. I'd want to trade down, but I don't see anyone at the top of this draft, to generate enough buzz, that a team will want to trade up.

With the Cowboys pick, I'm looking for Michael Johnson....
if he isn't there, I'd look for Brian Cushing, or D.J. Moore

& With the 33rd pick, I'm looking for Tyson Jackson
or Alphonso Smith, or Victor Harris.

I'd use my remaining picks to continue adding to my defense. Safeties, Linebackers, Tackles..... Everyone on my defense will know their job is on the line.

I believe Detroit would have won many games, if they were able to stop opposing teams from scoring more than 21 points. & while it's true, that I'll ignore offense in the entire draft, I'll fill what roster spots I have to with FA.